PDA

View Full Version : Ravens' Crossing [IC, D&D 5E]

Galen
2014-10-04, 10:25 PM
http://www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Medieval-Market.jpg

Each for his own reasons, you have arrived at the backwater village of Ravens' Crossing. Named so because the frequent drowning accidents at the river ford during the spring thaw attracted hordes of those black birds, the village was located at the north-western corner of the kingdom, and was home to maybe tenscore people, in an area of land dotted by even smaller hamlets and isolated homesteads.

It was the first market day of summer, and residents of those smaller settlements converged on Raven's Crossing, nearly doubling its population for the day. The market offered mostly barter for agricultural products - grains, fruit, vegetables, milk and cheeses, and meat, both smoked and fresh.

Some of the more exotic merchants were an old hunchbacked lady offering potions and charms, a pair of dwarves from the Cloudpeaks advertising high-quality metal tools, and a gnome with a cart laden in silk gowns, velvet pillows, and other items of comfort, who claimed to have come straight from the King's court bearing the latest fashions.

A good-looking young lass walked around the square offering cold drinks for a penny - great temptation on such a hot day. Two jugglers were trying to put on a show, but the frequency with which they were stumbling and dropping their clubs clearly revealed them as amateurs.

Three guards wearing patchwork hand-me-down armor and armed with spears patrolled the market square, possibly the entirety of Ravens' Crossing militia force.

Please use the opening post to introduce your character; feel free to interact with the NPCs or other PCs.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-04, 11:24 PM
Telith walked through the town, alternatively gawking at the sights of so many people, or flinching away from the noise and smell they were creating. Okay, okay, She wouldn't send you here for no reason. Um, proboaly. Somewhere in this town is my chance to 'become worthy.' Um, whatever that means. I've just got to keep my eyes open, and head towards anything particularly odd. he muttered to himself as he walked, heedless to whatever glances the young half-elf with wild hair and in his homespun robes was attracting.

Gintash
2014-10-05, 12:56 AM
Juliana walks through the town looking at all the items for sale. She drools at the meats and sweets for sale, admiring the weapons and armor that people are selling.
She came here to try and find a quest to do in order to earn her some reputation with people and start off her career as a legendary fighter. However.... she has no idea where to start or go or what to do in order to gain a quest.
Juliana decides that there is no point in just sitting down and waiting and to walk around town to see if anything happens.

ianricks58
2014-10-05, 08:48 AM
Despite her fine clothes, Sasha hopes nobody would recognize her. Last year, she had travelled through this area before with her family in order to settle a land dispute with the neighboring noble family. There was much fanfare and ostentation on her first trip. She stopped at many sights along the way, including a chapel or temple dedicated to Pelor. The agreement was reached unfavorably, and so her brother, her father, and her uncle unfairly treated every commoner they met with derision and anger, as if the commoners were somehow to blame. In fact, it was Sasha's fault.

She didn't understand why that piece of land mattered so much to her father until one day after they returned from their negotiations-- Sasha shuddered, she couldn't e even bring herself to think about the atrocities her family commit to retain their wealth and lands. It was then she decided to study the arts of druidry from a hermit whose mission was to bring down the Brightwood name. While she studied and practiced the arts, she and her teacher made plans. She was to travel back to the neighboring nobles and share the secret. Sasha spent that next year planning her escape. She was able to convince her tutor, Naivara Siannodel, an elf who was recently put in charge or Sasha's education; a faithful mute hafling servant boy, who she called Milo; and the head steward Anton Ramondo of the dangers at the manor house. The four of them left and made their way to their neighbors' lands to seek safety and shelter.

While her retainers rested, she explored the market. She closely examines the charms and potions the hunchback lady is selling.

Chronicler
2014-10-05, 09:14 AM
Standing amidst the crowded market and undaunted by the summer heat, Solsyr glanced up at the open sky to peer at the sun. Pelor's radiance shone down upon Ravens' Crossing and the young cleric found himself comforted by its warmth. Lowering his gaze and casting his light blue eyes about, he watched the various shoppers and merchants going about their business. Before he knew it, he had allowed a quarter of an hour to slip by. It was such a pleasant experience to people-watch while inhaling the delicious scent of freshly baked bread that it was easy for the former acolyte to lose track of time.

With a quick shake of his head, Solsyr resumed his walk back to Father Altius' booth. While the elder priest didn't have any food or wares for sale, he always insisted on setting up a spot during the market season from which he could proselytize from. We must spread the light of Pelor far and wide against the coming darkness. What that coming darkness was, Solsyr didn't quite know, but his mentor seemed to be fixated on it. And whether it was because of some divine prognostication or encroaching senility was another thing that the younger man wasn't certain of.

Regardless, the golden-haired cleric owed the older man much. Altius had been a father figure to him as well as a teacher for all of these years. And it was a priceless gift that he would never be able to repay in full. So it was with glad sincerity that he approached the priest's booth to help out, by invoking fire and light for the commoners to oooh and aaah at. Just a humble display of a tiny fraction of Pelor's might with which to possibly entice people to the faith.

Just made up an NPC (Father Altius) on the spot. Hope that's okay.

Vihar
2014-10-05, 05:36 PM
Despite the stench of so many unwashed bodies that usually accompanied market days in Raven's Crossing, Jadaire always made it a priority to attend. The good Lady Anzi Dargo, Jadaire's cover identity, should be seen frequenting with the locals if she were to learn anything about who may have caused her family's downfall. Her disguise cleverly concealed her curved horns, indicative of her true Tiefling roots, within the confines of a large head piece conveniently shielding her from the sun. Her normally red hue'd complexion was expertly hidden behind makeup and lace. Lady Anzi should certainly not be seen in anything but her finery.

As she strolled amongst the merchants she acknowledged those residents she had met during her stay here. A wave at the tailor's wife would be good for a dress cleaning, a smile at the baker's son would net her a meat pie, and a courtesy towards the town magistrate would ensure she was invited to the next counsel meeting. Jadaire had done her best to befriend the townsfolk of Raven's Crossing. They had warmed to her, but these were not here people. Jadaire lived behind a carefully constructed facade and these friendships and connections were a means to an end. Why had the Great Old One led her to this backwater armpit of a town?

Rather than dwelling on that question, Jadaire moved around observing and listening. She certainly did recognize a great many people. Many she knew from the town proper, but many still were visitors from the area villages and hamlets. She recognized a great many of the visiting merchants from their previous stops here. Even still, Jadaire spied a few persons who somehow seemed out of place. Specifically, she noted the presence of an old hunchbacked woman hawking potions and charms. Just as curious was the finely dressed woman who seemed to be taking more than a passing interest in the old woman's charms. She was familiar, but Jadaire could not place why.

Jadaire found an open space a short distance away from the hunchback's market stall. She pulls a parchment and piece of charcoal from her pack and begins to sketch what she observes of the old hunchback and the finely dressed woman. Sometimes her patron reveals messages in her drawings. It was through a similar sketch that Jadaire was first pointed towards Raven's Crossing. Perhaps an unseen spirit visible only through her mind's eye might reveal something. Or perhaps not. Her patron does not always communicate in this manner. As a side effect of her forgery skills, Jadaire managed to become a somewhat skilled artist. At the very least, Jadaire could offer a drawing as a token of friendship.

"One can never have enough friends, can one Lady Anzi", Jadaire says to herself under her breath as she begins broadly sketching an outline.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-05, 05:47 PM
Not looking where he was going, Telith bumps into Juliana. Oh, my deepest apologies! Please forgive my clumsiness, and is there anything I can do to repay the inconvenience? Telith stammers, as he stands back up.

Gintash
2014-10-05, 06:17 PM
Juliana, having been lost in thought, almost falls over, flailing her arms before regaining her balance and sighing softly. Ah, no, its fine, it my fault for not looking where I was going as well. Juliana looks over the fellow in front of her before asking Out of pure curiosity, are you perhaps here looking for a quest?

Forum Explorer
2014-10-05, 06:32 PM
A quest? Yes, that makes sense. Telith says to himself, before focusing back on Juliana I'm looking to become worthy, and I imagine a quest is exactly the way to do so. Do you have something in mind?

Gintash
2014-10-05, 06:50 PM
Juliana smiles to herself thinking she may have just found a travelling companion. Not exactly. I am looking for a quest to try and become a renowned fighter and I thought it would be a good idea to also gain some companions to travel with. Travelling alone is kind of boring and lonely so I imagined travelling with someone else might be fun. Juliana says, smiling happily at the man in front of her.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-06, 12:56 AM
That's fine with me, but I should warn you, I'm new to this sort of thing. So where should we start? Telith replies, smiling back.

Gintash
2014-10-06, 01:17 AM
Don't worry, so am I. My name is Juliana by the way. As for where to start. I don't really know. Maybe a tavern. Might be able to hear someone talking about something. Juliana suggests, shrugging her shoulders.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-06, 01:22 AM
Ah, I'm sorry! My name's Telith. Sure, let's go to a tavern. Umm, which building would that be? Telith said, scanning his surroundings again.

Gintash
2014-10-06, 01:38 AM
Juliana takes a look around unsure of where to head. Um, let's see if we can see a building with that big sign saying 'Tavern' Juliana answers as she takes a more careful look around.

Gunna roll for the point of it and see if I can find it, even if I don't need to :smalltongue:
Perception Roll
[roll0]

Galen
2014-10-06, 02:03 AM
Ah, 'tis a fine one ye looking at, m'lady. Old woman's face lit up as Sasha casually fingered a necklace. A charm of protection from beasts of the nightmare realm. She looks in the druid's face, then continues thoughtfully, been having trouble sleeping lately, I see? This is the one for you. Me grandmother, Val, after whom I'm named, made it for me mother, and she passed it on to me. So, what say you, can we make a deal on it?

Father Altius smiled as his his disciple circled back to his booth. His throat was getting parched from preaching, and he welcomed a break and a chance to down a cold drink while Solsyr enticed the crowds. While Juliana and Telith were getting to know each other and searching for a tavern (of which there was none in Ravens Crossing), a strange woman was scribbling their likeness in charcoal.

And then, screams were heard from the northern part of the fairground. Glancing in that direction, emerging from a cloud of dust, two horses were seen, galloping toward the center of the market. Having broken away from one of the carts, they bit on their bridle and took run uncontrollably. All around, people were scrambling to get out of the way.

This isn't normal behavior. The horses have been startled by some kind of terrible threat

http://i.imgur.com/IemOjJ8.jpg

Black: tents (impassable terrain)
Grey: carpets and stalls (difficult terrain)

H = horses galloping toward you

So = Solsyr
Ja = Jadaire
Ju = Juliana
Te = Telith
Sa = Sasha

V = Val
Al = Altius
X = miscellaneous merchants and fair-goers

Forum Explorer
2014-10-06, 02:11 AM
Uh oh, those horses are running from something, something dangerous to have them so spooked. Telith said, instinctively heading towards the panicked beasts. Er, shall we go see what's the matter? He says after a few steps, hesitating and turning to look at Juliana.

Gintash
2014-10-06, 02:24 AM
I'd say it'd be a good idea Juliana replies smiling and half skipping towards the horses while staying out of their way so he doesn't get run over by them.

Chronicler
2014-10-06, 04:38 AM
"What's all that commotion?!" Father Altius grumbled in complaint. Some sort of ruckus was starting to occur to the north of his station, kicking up a lot of dust in the process.

Solsyr, who had been busily entertaining a small group of people with a showy display of cantrips, turned to face northward and squinted against the summer sun. "Hmm," he murmured. "It looks like a pair of spooked horses." His blue eyes widened with concern as a sudden realization set in. "And they're heading in this general direction. Quickly! Everyone! Follow me." The young cleric led his mentor and the handful of gawkers to the far side of Altius' tent, out of the panicked animals' line of sight. "Stay here. I'm going to find out what's going on and see if there's anyone who's hurt that needs tending to."

With one last backward glance at the old priest, Solsyr hefted his round shield and ducked out into the open at a quick gait toward the horses but out of their direct path of travel.

ianricks58
2014-10-06, 08:23 AM
Looking up from the woman's ware's, Sasha hears the horses running to the grounds"Madam, if you will excuse me, I will be back for this charm, but now I must see what I can do to help." Sasha runs closer to the horses (N11-N8-M8) She mutters words of power and points towards the horses; what better way to learn the reason behind the horses fear than to ask them herself? <Calm down noble creatures! Tell me, what has scared you so?>

Sasha cast Speak with Animals using one slot.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Vihar
2014-10-06, 10:31 AM
Jadaire looks up from her drawing and searches for the source of the screams.

"Ugh!" Jadaire snorts in disgust. "Those beasts are loose in the market. That dull stable boy probably pierced one with that pitchfork again."

"Now what's this?" Jadaire asks no one in particular as she hastily puts aside her drawing of the hunchback and the Lady and pulls another sheet. "It would seem that our fine young lady has some degree of power of her own!" she remarks to herself as she once again takes charcoal to parchment.

Galen
2014-10-07, 02:02 AM
While others take stock of the situation and move closer to the commotion, Sasha manages to calm down one of the horses with her whispers. The beast stops by the druid, and shakes its head from one shoulder to another, and neighs, squirting foam.

Sasha
Big hairy things coming! Many legs!

The other horse gallops by, with most everyone avoiding it. Except one unlucky fair-goer, who got trampled and is lying on the ground unconscious, blood gashing from a huge cut on his head. Other than him, and I guess our five heroes, everyone scattered, scurried, ran away, ducked into a tent or a booth, or otherwise had the sense to take cover.

In the cloud of dust raised by the horses as they were running, you hear a scream, and chomping sounds.

http://i.imgur.com/31b2k0s.jpg

Black: tents (impassable terrain)
Grey: carpets and stalls (difficult terrain)
Green: Cloud of dust (obscured)

H = horse (standing still)

So = Solsyr
Ja = Jadaire
Ju = Juliana
Te = Telith
Sa = Sasha

X = injured fair-goer

Forum Explorer
2014-10-07, 02:12 AM
Telith heads to the wounded fair goer, seeking to treat their injuries and stop the blood loss.

Gintash
2014-10-07, 07:33 AM
Juliana, drawing her shield and sword, moves carefully towards the dust cloud, watching out for anything that may be hidden and prepared to move back at the slightest hint of danger.

ianricks58
2014-10-07, 07:34 AM
"I think we have giant spiders coming!! Run for shelter if you can't stay and fight!" Sasha warns. She mentally tells the horses to calmly leave the area, hoping to get it out of the way. Pulls a shamrock leaf from her pouch and presses it on to the quarterstaff. Sasha mutters some arcane words and twirls her quarterstaff with a couple of flourishes; it starts to glow with magic. She moves in between the injured person and the dust cloud.

Vihar
2014-10-07, 10:36 AM
"Weapons are being drawn?! This looks to be more serious than a dull stable boy poking his horses..." Jadaire thinks as she stows her parchments. "And why haven't those guards responded?"

Jadaire casts the cantrip Thaumaturgy to raise her voice, booming out "GUARDS! TO ARMS IN THE MARKET!" as she begins moving towards the chaos or spooked horses and fallen victim.

"I swear, if I don't get my meat pie today, there'll be Cthulhu to pay!"

Chronicler
2014-10-07, 12:45 PM
In the ensuing chaos and confusion, Solsyr carefully approached the small group that had gathered around the trampled victim, his white robes rustling around him as he walked. Concern creased the corners of his eyes as he studied the bleeding injury that the hapless market-goer had sustained. It looked quite serious, and despite the worrisome noises emanating from the dust cloud kicked up by the runaway horses, the young cleric immediately prioritized the man's treatment as the first thing to take care of.

Slipping in between the others, Solsyr nudged his way into the circle of onlookers and knelt beside the victim. Glancing up at those already attempting to tend to him, he spoke calmly, "I do not mean to interrupt your ministrations, but I may be of some help here." He didn't elaborate further, but simply allowed the medallion around his neck to hang openly in plain sight. Etched on the front side was a stylized face in tranquil repose backed by a sunburst design--the holy symbol of Pelor, a solar deity of light, fire, strength, and healing. With a whispered word, the golden-haired cleric laid two fingers on the prone man's forehead and channeled a trickle of divine energy into his body to spare the dying which stabilized the bleeding wound for the time being.

With a relieved sigh, he informed everyone, "He can be moved safely now."

Casting a spare the dying cantrip on the trampled guy.

Galen
2014-10-07, 11:00 PM
As a result of the help given to him, the injured man's bloodflow has been stemmed, and his injuries glow a healthy shade of pink. He is, however, still unconscious on the ground. Whatever little civilians were left in the market square, continue fleeing south, as does the horse. The mount's a bit calmed down and doesn't trample anyone anymore. Jadaire's loud proclamation brings over one of the guards, who comes hesitantly, brandishing his spear againt an enemy he cannot see.

And then they come. Two spiders, size of a small dog, skitter out of the dust cloud, while a third climbs over the roof of the shack to your right. And on top of the shack to your left, like something out of nightmares, a much larger spider appears, its size almost matching that of a milk cow. The shack sways under the monster's weight, nearly collapsing.

The arrival of this creature also gives realization as to why only one guard arrived - the other guard is in arms. Literally. A piece of his chomped arm is sticking out of the huge spider's maw. On the positive side, the spider has a broken spear sticking out of it, appears the guard managed to stab it at least once before he died.

http://i.imgur.com/3vyva1x.jpg

(S) = Giant spider
s = smaller spiders
G = guard
X = unconscious victim

Ja = Jadaire
Sa = Sasha
So = Solsyr
Te = Telith
Ju = Juliana

Black = shacks, hovels, booths or tents (usually about 7' high)
Grey = carpets and stands (difficult terrain)
Green = dust cloud (obscures vision)

Forum Explorer
2014-10-07, 11:34 PM
I hope we're ready for this. Telith murmurs to his companion before glancing over. You're not Juliana! I'm sorry I thought you were someone else. He says to Jadaire before taking a step towards the giant spider and chanting a spell. A steady steam of lightning shot out of his fingers at the giant spider.

Initiative [roll0]

To hit [roll1]

Damage [roll2]

Gintash
2014-10-07, 11:55 PM
Juliana, seeing the spiders and hearing Telith's call she quickly glances behind her. Seeing so many people near Telith she decides to go over to the right side and help the guard.

She moves over to the spider on the ground and swings her sword at the small spider, hoping that the guard can take care of the other one.

Accuracy = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]

Chronicler
2014-10-08, 06:01 AM
The sudden appearance of the spiders emerging from the dust cloud startled Solsyr. He still hadn't had time to move the man that he was tending to to a safer location. But luckily, the people around him were reacting competently to the situation. They're not ordinary villagers, he surmised with some surprise. Thank Pelor for their presence! Two of the half-elves were already going on the offensive, with one of them unleashing a torrent of lightning. The unexpected display of potent magic momentarily caused the young cleric's jaw to fall slightly open in awe of the sight.

With his unconscious patient lying vulnerable at his feet, Solsyr quickly followed the half-elves' lead and brought his own power to bear. I must protect this civilian, he thought grimly. With a wave of his free hand, he pointed at one of the nearby smaller spiders that he could clearly see and spoke a word of power. A curtain of shimmering white-gold radiance soon cascaded over the dog-sized creature...

Casting sacred flame at the smaller spider at G8.

If the spider fails its Dex save, then:
Damage = [roll0]

Sacred Flame
Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time 1 action
Range 60 feet
Components V, S
Duration Instantaneous

Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

ianricks58
2014-10-08, 07:29 AM
Sasha hurries to H9 and slams her quarterstaff down on the spider.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Vihar
2014-10-08, 01:02 PM
Jadaire, grinning wickedly at the half-elf next to her, brings her hands together as if she is shaping a ball of clay and begins to chant ancient words known to only a few.

"Ch'yar ul'nyar shaggornyth" she commands in a calm tone.

In an instant, the space between her fingers and palms begins to darken and form into a swirling mass of shadow and chaos streaked with deep purple hues. Her right hand shoots forward pointing at the spider directly in front of her. Crackling energy streaks toward the spider, engulfing it in otherworldly chaos before dissipating.

Casting Eldritch Blast at the smaller spider at G8.

Attack = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]
Eldritch Blast
Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time 1 action
Range 120 feet
Components V, S
Duration Instantaneous

A beam of crackling energy streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, target takes 1d10 force damage.

"Cthulhu, you certainly can be maddening. Why do you torment me so?" Jadaire grunts through her clenched jaw.

Galen
2014-10-09, 11:48 AM
Telith fires a bolt of dark energy at the giant spider, causing it to rear in pain.
Juliana swings her sword at one of the smaller spiders, but it proves too agile for her. She could swear the hairy arachnid is mocking her as it skitters away from her blade.
The spider's triumph is short-lived however, as Solsyr and Sasha, in a combine effort of divine energy and blunt instrument, beat it to a pulp.
Jadaire, meanwhile, fires an Eldritch Blast at another small spider. It appears to be stunned for a moment, then flips on its back, lurches a few times and dies. Jadaire actually aimed at another spider, but since that one was just killed, I took the liberty to redirect her attack
The guard, fearing to approach, throws his spear at the rightmost small spider, the one on top of a shed. When his effort goes wide, he doesn't think twice, turns around and escapes.

The large spider turns to the warlock was so insolent as to hurt him, and spits a giant glob of webs at Telith. Luckily, it misses the warlock; who knows what might have happened, he could have been buried under those webs; the spider nonetheless advances forward to face the warlock.

Meanwhile, the last surviving of the smaller spiders drops off the roof of the shed on a web, skitters over to Sasha, rears on its hind legs and bites the druid on the hip. Its sharp teeth leave scratchmarks on the leather, but the armor holds and she takes no damage.

The cloud of dust clears, and you can see the destruction that the spiders, and the animals they spooked, brought. Amid broken carts and overturned stalls, two more fair-goers lie face down, injured. It's hard to say whether they are dead or alive.

http://i.imgur.com/4QWBlAo.jpg

Te = Telith
Sa = Sasha
So = Solsyr
Ja = Jadaire
Ju = Juliana

(S) = giant spider
s = smaller spider
X = unconscious people
-- = spider corpse
W = this square is covered by webbing

Vihar
2014-10-09, 01:25 PM
With a satisfied smirk, Jadaire turns her attention towards the approaching Giant. She assumes an exaggerated posture, making a mocking caricature of some courtly singer of some forgotten city-state. A dark melody hisses from Jadaire's lips.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthugha
Fomalhaut n'gha-ghaa naf'lthagn
ya uln fm'latgh h'lloig"

Galen
2014-10-09, 01:35 PM
Glimpsing into of the endless abyss in which the Great Old One resides proves too much for the giant spider. He bends over in agony and shifts away, backing against the shack from which it just climbed down

Giant Spider moves to G4. This movement provokes an attack of opportunity from Telith, assuming Telith is wielding a melee weapon

Forum Explorer
2014-10-09, 02:20 PM
Telith takes a breath of relief as the giant spider backs away, and takes his own step back, lightning still arcing from his finger tips.

No melee weapon, and I believe that Witch Bolt hits automatically from now own. So damge

[roll0]

ianricks58
2014-10-09, 04:43 PM
*SWOOSH* Sasha swings her staff and misses the spider completely. She mutters a curse under her breath.

Gintash
2014-10-09, 05:10 PM
Juliana, cursing under her breath about missing, moves around the webbing nearby to attack the larger spider, swinging her sword once again at one of the filthy creatures.

Accuracy = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]

Galen
2014-10-09, 05:39 PM
The giant spider shakes and shivers as electricity courses through its body, not paying attention to the woman charging at him. Juliana's sword pieces the carapace, and the spider moans in pain, bringing his face down to bear on Juliana. Then, his legs buckle and he drops on the dusty pavement, green blood spilling from the wound.

Only one smaller spider is left. It's Solsyr's turn, and after that the spider (assuming it survives)

Chronicler
2014-10-09, 07:52 PM
Solsyr watched as the brave strangers dispatched the largest of the spiders with relative ease. Impressed by their actions, he silently wondered who they were. One of the females did look familiar--a noblewoman from a neighboring area if he recalled correctly. Time to ponder their identities later, he reprimanded himself. There was still another creature to take of, one last threat to neutralize before the fairgrounds were safe again.

Calling upon the sacred flame of Pelor once more, the determined cleric invoked a shimmering sheet of white-gold fire upon the remaining spider.

Casting sacred flame at the last spider.

If the spider fails its Dex save, then:
Damage = [roll0]

Sacred Flame
Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time 1 action
Range 60 feet
Components V, S
Duration Instantaneous

Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

Galen
2014-10-09, 10:50 PM
The spider dodges the sacred flame of Pelor, but it proves enough of a distraction from him to miss Sasha again. You notice the chests of the two badly injured men to the north are heaving heavily, and they make gurgling sounds with each breath, they might still be alive.

Gintash
2014-10-09, 11:04 PM
Juliana, seeing the men in the dust calls to the others Go and help them! Before moving herself over to the final spider taking a swing at it as to at least pull its attention to herself so it won't go after the hurt men or the people helping her.

Accuracy = [roll0]
Damage = [roll1]

Forum Explorer
2014-10-09, 11:29 PM
Er, right! Telith calls back before rushing over to the closer of the wounded humans. Come on, don't die. It'd be really nice if you didn't die, you alright? I'm sure you don't want to die and I don't want you to die, and the spiders are already dead so their votes don't count. So we're all in agreement that you shouldn't die. So no dying okay? Telith babbled as he did his best to wrap the worst of the injuries in bandages and to identify if the humans was poisoned or not.

Medicine [roll0]

Vihar
2014-10-10, 12:45 AM
Jadaire walks over to where Telith is administering to the fallen.

"That's not the baker's boy is it?" She asks casually. "I never got my meat pie"

Galen
2014-10-10, 12:58 AM
Telith administers first aid to one of the men - yes, it is the baker's boy! - and he appears to be out of danger now, although it'll be a while before he regains consciousness. The other man is still shaking at the onset of what appears to be poisoning. Juliana's swing misses the small dastardly spider, which proves to be very resilient.

Solsyr and Sasha left to act.

ianricks58
2014-10-10, 08:39 AM
Sasha swings her staff one more time.

Galen
2014-10-10, 10:58 AM
... and smashes the last remaining spider like the vermin it is.

Vihar
2014-10-10, 11:17 AM
"Great Cthulhu, why do you torment me so?" Jadaire laments as she removes her head piece revealing her true nature. She picks up a cloth from one of the damaged merchant stalls and begins cleaning the makeup from her Hell kissed flesh.

"Ah well. His crust was always more mealy than flaky anyway," she remarks.

"Now. Lets get a closer look at these spiders shall we?"

Chronicler
2014-10-10, 03:49 PM
After the familiar-looking noblewoman dispatched the last arachnid, Solsyr hurried over to the untreated victim who was still lying facedown on the packed earth of the fairgrounds. He approached the unconscious female quickly, knelt beside her, and carefully turned her over. Brushing a stray lock of brown hair from her pale, stricken face, he noticed that she was steadily turning blue. And a quick check of her pulse showed that it was rapidly weakening. Her injury was no mere trampling and the inexperienced cleric wasn't sure just how virulent the spider's poison might be. He worried that simply stabilizing the young woman might not be enough to save her.

Focusing his thoughts inward, Solsyr whispered a short scripture beseeching Pelor's favor. As he reached down to touch the girl's face, his hand blazed brightly with incandescent light. Brushing her cheek with his glowing fingertips, he poured that light into her, filling her with its healing warmth.

Casting cure wounds on the girl.

Healing Roll = [roll0]

Cure Wounds
1st-level Evocation

Casting Time 1 action
Range Touch
Components V, S
Duration Instantaneous

A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

Gintash
2014-10-10, 03:56 PM
Juliana sheaths her sword and shield coming over to the others who are with the wounded men. How are they doing? she asks, a tone of worry in her voice which is echoed with the look on her face.

Galen
2014-10-10, 04:15 PM
Ahhhhhhh

The young woman sits up with deep gasp, wide eyes rolling wildly. She brushes her hands against her body, checking all the body parts and organs are still there, then tries to stand up on shaky legs. With the immediate danger eliminated, people are pouring back into the market square, and those who hid in the booths, hovels and shacks, and under carts, are slowly coming out. A crowd circle is formed around the scene of battle and the five combatants. Some of the villagers try to kick and poke the dead spiders - which, as far as Jadaire can see, are just regular spiders, except much bigger.

As far as Juliana can see, the injured are not in any danger anymore, although some of them have been paralyzed or debilitated with poison
a condition which usually takes about 1 hour to pass

Scouting for casualties is performed, and it seems everyone is accounted for, except the poor guard whose hand was sticking out of the giant spider's maw. The other guard, having come back after his abysmal contribution to the fight, extols the virtues of the five strangers who stood firm and defeated the monsters.

The crowd murmurs in admiration, but also some discontented grumbling is heard from some of the locals.

... These monsters came from the forest, again ...

... It all started since that cairn was opened ...

... It's bad luck to disturb the dead. Gods are punishing us ...

Gintash
2014-10-10, 04:21 PM
Although still worried about the injured people, Juliana turns to the crowd and asks loudly to all of them Do you all know something about this? If you people trust us I am sure we will be able to help you with this problem so please, anyone who knows anything, please come forward and tell us!

Forum Explorer
2014-10-10, 04:28 PM
"Great Cthulhu, why do you torment me so?" Jadaire laments as she removes her head piece revealing her true nature. She picks up a cloth from one of the damaged merchant stalls and begins cleaning the makeup from her Hell kissed flesh.

"Ah well. His crust was always more mealy than flaky anyway," she remarks.

"Now. Lets get a closer look at these spiders shall we?"

What are you talking about? Telith asks in some vague confusion. He smiles as Juliana walks up. I think they'll both be okay, but we should still get them over to that priest for some more care.

Vihar
2014-10-10, 06:18 PM
Jadaire c0ck$ an eyebrow at Telith and strides, or rather stalks, to the center of the gathering with the noble bearing of a favored Tiefling Warlock, silently invoking the cantrip Thaumaturgy to cause tremors to undulate through the ground.

"The gods are indeed angry!" Jadaire exclaims. "Feel how the Earth trembles!"

"Tell me what you know. We..." Jadaire motions wide with her arm indicating the motley group that just worked... as a team(?) to dispatch the creepy crawly menace, "will investigate this- cairn." she said this last word with the slightest degree of disgust.

Forum censor did not like how I raised my eyebrow

ianricks58
2014-10-10, 10:15 PM
Sasha does what she can to calm the pandemonium. She was hoping to see that the hunched old woman had made it through unharmed. The mention of a nearby cairn piqued her interest. [I]I wonder if something had displaced the spiders from their home." She approaches the others who stood to fight, "We should go investigate. Let's help clean up the grounds and prepare for the journey. The only matter to settle is when we leave. While we help, let's see if we can gather some more information."

Forum Explorer
2014-10-11, 12:42 AM
Telith stood up and moved beside Juliana. What do you think of all this? he whispered.

Gintash
2014-10-11, 01:03 AM
Fishy. My guess would be the villagers did something stupid, meddled with magic they didn't understand or something, either way they know what the cause of this is and I would like to know what they did, how and why before acting on impulse. Juliana whispers back to Telith, curious about the villagers.

ianricks58
2014-10-12, 03:50 PM
Sasha found the hunched woman in good health. She helped set up the woman's stall. While doing so, Sasha asks the old woman about the murmurings from the crowd. Sasha also asks her about where the family of the dead guard lives, hoping to be able to obtain information from them, as well as offer her condolences.

Galen
2014-10-12, 10:36 PM
The villagers basically trip over each other to tell Jadaire - and anyone else who seems like they're interested to investigate the menace - that a recent landslide on the north side of Forked Hill revealed an opening leading underground. Starting with an obviously man-made corridor, the cairn became a popular site for hunters, lovers, kids on a dare, and others seeking shelter to spend the night away from town. Nothing dangerous was associated with the cairn, except occasional gusts of cold musty air emanating from within.

Until weeks ago, when monsters started to appear in the surrounding woods. Terrible, dreadful abominations, not the type of regular, even if still dangerous, animals you can usually find in a dark forest. A furrier who was known to often take cover from the rain inside the cairn, went missing. Signs of blood were found near the entrance. And now, those monsters have become so bold as to attack the town.

This, at least is the general sentiment that is conveyed among the crowd.

Sasha finds Val peeking from the doorway of her hut. The old woman is scared, but unharmed. She hobbles toward the discussion, listens to it for a while, spits on the ground, mutters it is as it should be, and leaves.

A young woman, possibly a sister or a fiancee, arrives, screaming let me through! She leans over the mutilated body of the guard, and drops of her knees, wailing in grief.

Chronicler
2014-10-13, 05:14 PM
Solsyr steadied the young woman that he had just healed as she attempted to stand up. "Careful," he warned her. "You're still feeling the aftereffects of the spider bite."

She flashed him a weak smile and nodded, while leaning heavily against one of the wooden support poles of a market stall.

After making sure that she would be fine on her own, the white-and-gold robed cleric checked up on the other victim and also the trampled attendee that he had stabilized earlier. Spotting Father Altius, he waved the older man over and asked him to tend to the pair in his place. "I want to listen to what the crowd is saying, and find out who our mysterious saviors are," he explained to the priest.

Father Altius raised his callused hands and shooed him off. "Go, go! I'll take care of these two."

Solsyr returned to the gathered throng of merchants and market-goers, and stood over by the noblewoman that he had recognized earlier. The two half-elves who had joined the fray were also milling about nearby. He was just about to introduce himself to them when the ground began to rumble and shake. Quickly glancing around for the source of the disturbance, the former acolyte nearly bit his tongue in shock as his blue eyes widened in surprise. A tiefling! His right hand immediately dropped down to the haft of his cudgel, an unconscious fight reflex. She's not a threat! he admonished himself sternly. She fought the spiders too. Taking a moment to rein in his preconceived prejudices, he inhaled and exhaled slowly, steadying both his pulse and his breathing.

As he conquered his emotions, Solsyr fell silent for the time being and listened to the villagers speak about the cairn. He'd heard some of the rumors that they spoke of before, but never had any of the creatures supposedly disgorged by the new underground opening actually entered and attacked the village. Until now. What's going on? he wondered. The current situation definitely required an investigation. But before he could voice his opinion on the matter, one of the deceased guard's loved ones rushed forward.

A young woman, possibly a sister or a fiancee, arrives, screaming let me through! She leans over the mutilated body of the guard, and drops of her knees, wailing in grief.

The loss of life, especially in such a violent way, was never an easy thing to accept. And it was far beyond the young cleric's power and purview to restore the brave man's spirit. All Solsyr could do was kneel with the girl, offer her his sincere condolences, and give her the support of his sympathetic presence.

Gintash
2014-10-13, 05:51 PM
Juliana listens to the crowd as the explained before looking down thinking. While there was little they could do, they might be able to help these people.

Juliana raises her arm as to get everyone's attention before yelling out to everyone I will go into this cave! I will slay every single one of these monsters that I find! And I will find the one doing this! And I will slay him too! Anyone who wishes to come with your help would be greatly appreciated. For those who do not wish to or are unable to, I ask only they you pray for us! So that the gods themselves may bless our quest!

Forum Explorer
2014-10-14, 01:33 AM
Telith stood beside Juliana, offering silent support.

Vihar
2014-10-14, 11:00 AM
Jadaire listened intently as the townsfolk gushed their tales. More than a care for their troubles, she was searching for clues the Great Old One may be trying to tell her through these backwater villagers. She actively scanned the crowd to take in the faces of the townsfolk she recognized as Lady Anzi as well as any new, or out of place faces. As the clamoring began to subside, she noticed the young cleric approach and then stop suddenly as if in disbelief. A knowing smile turned into a wicked grin as she stared directly at him.

Effortlessly, Jadaire's Awakened Mind reaches across the crowd to touch Solsyr's.
"Tend to your flock, Priest. Cthulhu sleeps... but only for now." she telepathically hisses the words in a near whisper and severs the link.

She raises her voice above the general dun of the crowd, "Come, "saviors" of Raven's Crossing, we have much to discuss. I suggest the local temple of Pelor as a sufficient meeting place."

With an overly dramatic flourish, Jadaire spins around to face the temple before stalking off, cloak flying out in an exaggerated fashion.

Galen
2014-10-14, 05:38 PM
The girl next to Solsyr kept shedding tears for her loved one. She caught a glimpse of Solsyr in the corner of her eye. He fought bravely, did he?

The crowd oohs at Juliana's bold proclamation. Even those lying on the ground wounded raise their heads to look at the warrior woman who defintely got their attention. As Jadaire requests a move to the temple of Pelor, the crowd retreats to make a path for them. The temple, if one could call a circular hut with large patio where morning prayers are held, is not far - just like everything else in this tiny town, you can see it from here.

Jadaire
The hand of the Great Old one is definitely in this. There is much to be learned in this cairn.

ianricks58
2014-10-15, 04:31 PM
Sasha follows the others to the shrine.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-15, 05:21 PM
Telith follows along. So what did you want to say? he asks quietly.

Gintash
2014-10-15, 06:27 PM
Juliana follows the group towards the shrine. She silently wonders about who or whats in the cave and why they would be doing something like this.

Vihar
2014-10-15, 09:56 PM
Jadaire stalks into the hut, using her Thaumaturgy to make every flame in the so called sacred place flare up brightly as she crosses the threshold. She turns to await the others.

Lifting an arm, she sniffs at herself.

"Great Abyss! No wonder the spiders attacked!"

Galen
2014-10-15, 10:01 PM
The shrine is empty at this time, the villagers being busy restoring the market square, and father Altius tending to the wounded. Not a moment after you settle there, a young girl, face unwashed, pair of dark eyes darting under a mop of unkempt hair, pokes her nose through the door. Are you going to the Moaning Cairn? she asks. I can show you where it is. I can come with you.

Forum Explorer
2014-10-17, 12:12 AM
Telith giggles a little bit at Jadaire. You're strange. He says, before turning to the girl. Are you old enough to accompany us? I'm sure we could get one of the residents here to give us a map, or directions. Plus if people were heading up there with any sort of frequency there might even be a trail for us to use.

Vihar
2014-10-17, 02:21 PM
Moving swiftly in front of the girl, Jadaire bends over so that her face is level with the child's own.

"Aren't you frightened, child?", Jadaire asks with an overly exaggerated motherly tone. "You should be afraid. You should be always afraid," she continues as she slowly curls her tail up to caress the child's cheek.

"Untold danger can lurk in plain sight!" Jadaire exclaims while using her Thaumaturgy to change her Tiefling eyes from solid silvery orbs to pools of black, darker than the Void. "But you seek it willingly. In dark, evil, places you seek it out. The Great Old One will welcome your soul, child."

Jadaire stands glowering down at the child. "Now tell me where this Moaning Cairn is."

To Telith, Jadaire sends a telepathic message. "I feel there is something odd about this child."

Forum Explorer
2014-10-17, 02:49 PM
I feel there's something odd about you. Telith thinks back, surprisingly unconcerned by random telepathic messages.

Gintash
2014-10-17, 03:04 PM
Oh stop scaring the child! Juliana says, moving towards Jadaire and the little girl. While I do agree it would be too dangerous for her you can't go scaring a child like this. What if she went to the other villagers and told them what you just said? They'd think were in some weird cult. Hell. I think your in some weird cult! She exclaims, standing next to her.

Vihar
2014-10-17, 09:01 PM
"Tell the villagers what exactly? That the big old mean demon lady in the church said there is danger in the cairn?" Jadaire laughs.

Turning back to the waifish mop-top before her, Jadaire erects a facade of concern. "Did I scare you little one?" she asks in a demure tone. Slipping back into her Infernal drenched accent, "I suspect there is not much which frightens you, am I right child? This cairn... How many times have you braved the darkness?"

Galen
2014-10-18, 01:48 AM
Are you old enough to accompany us?
Of course not, don't be silly. I'm only twelve. But no one has to know, right? You are not going to tell?

I'm sure we could get one of the residents here to give us a map, or directions. Plus if people were heading up there with any sort of frequency there might even be a trail for us to use. I have a map!

Moving swiftly in front of the girl, Jadaire bends over so that her face is level with the child's own.

"Aren't you frightened, child?", Jadaire asks with an overly exaggerated motherly tone. "You should be afraid. You should be always afraid," she continues as she slowly curls her tail up to caress the child's cheek.

"Untold danger can lurk in plain sight!" Jadaire exclaims while using her Thaumaturgy to change her Tiefling eyes from solid silvery orbs to pools of black, darker than the Void. "But you seek it willingly. In dark, evil, places you seek it out. The Great Old One will welcome your soul, child."She looks back at Jadaire unblinking. I'm not afraid of this Great Old One. Gramma says it's just a made up story to make people sleep badly so the Night Hag can take their soul. Now, the Night Hag, she's real. But she can't get you if you're not afraid. So there.

"Now tell me where this Moaning Cairn is."
It's five miles deep in the forest that way, she waves noncommittally to the west. But you'll probably get lost if you don't have a map or someone to show you.

"This cairn... How many times have you braved the darkness?"My friend and I have been there twice, but he wouldn't go past the entrance. I didn't mind, but I didn't want to leave him all alone out there.

Vihar
2014-10-18, 10:58 AM
"There! You see?" exclaims Jadaire triumphantly.

"Not a frightened bone in her body! Now this Night Hag... she sounds a bit like my mother. Still, we can't have a child leading us into the depths of this Moaning Cairn."

Forum Explorer
2014-10-19, 08:11 PM
We should tell. I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to be taking children, and bringing them to dangerous locations. At least, not without permission. Telith says.