PDA

View Full Version : Ways V's Gender Could Be Revealed

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-14, 11:03 PM
I'm tired of all of the "Proof that V is (fe)male" threads, but I didn't think this had been done before. How many at least semi-plausible ways can we think of that V's gender could be revealed (or he/she narrowly escapes)?

My first one:

Somehow the OotS is at some sort of dance club or ball or something, and someone (maybe even Belkar) grabs V and starts to dance with him as if he was a woman. He tries to fight back, but finally says, "Stop holding me in such a manner! I am not a wo-- a... a very good dancer..."

Anybody else?

Have fun!

Tharr
2007-03-14, 11:08 PM
Doctor people lift up his robe and show his body part.

Haruki-kun
2007-03-15, 12:19 AM
someone calls him/her a (wo)mn to his/her face ad he/she feels indignated about it................ (wow, realy hard with his/her, he/she/it.....)

Or Maybe.................He wears the Belt of Gender Changing!!!!!!!!!!! XD

kpenguin
2007-03-15, 12:23 AM

If V wore a belt of gender changing, then s(he) probably won't show any visible signs of the change

I always like to think that V's spouse will show up some day.

Golem
2007-03-15, 12:37 AM
I always like to think that V's spouse will show up some day.

Actually, I have a sincere hope that if Vars' mate ever does show up, they're equally androgynous. Or more. Keep the speculationmill churning.

piestandsalone
2007-03-15, 12:38 AM
I'm tired of all of the "Proof that V is (fe)male" threads, but I didn't think this had been done before. How many at least semi-plausible ways can we think of that V's gender could be revealed (or he/she narrowly escapes)?

My first one:

Somehow the OotS is at some sort of dance club or ball or something, and someone (maybe even Belkar) grabs V and starts to dance with him as if he was a woman. He tries to fight back, but finally says, "Stop holding me in such a manner! I am not a wo-- a... a very good dancer..."

Anybody else?

Have fun!
in the OOTS before the 'Elan Nale' confrontation Sabine goes asking V why men are such ..... . V replies with 'I am not sure i am qualified to answer'

this kind of proves V's a man

kpenguin
2007-03-15, 12:39 AM
Actually, I have a sincere hope that if Vars' mate ever does show up, they're equally androgynous. Or more. Keep the speculationmill churning.

Maybe they even look exactly alike (almost), like Nale and Elan.

ElfLad
2007-03-15, 12:39 AM
V is seen topless and male.

Or V outright states, "I am [gender]" without a trace of sarcasm.

J_Muller
2007-03-15, 12:43 AM

I recall there being a thread speculating what would happen if V did wear the Belt.

I hold that nothing would happen, because the opposite of androgyny is still androgyny.

archon_huskie
2007-03-15, 01:14 AM
in the OOTS before the 'Elan Nale' confrontation Sabine goes asking V why men are such ..... . V replies with 'I am not sure i am qualified to answer'

this kind of proves V's a man No it doesn't. It proves that V does not feel qualified to answer that question.

Or a different responce could be:

Would a woman know the answer to that question? no a Woman would not. Therefore this is proof that V is female.

Legendary
2007-03-15, 02:15 AM
Meet V's mate and determine hir (a fun combo of his/her) gender.

And don't start w/ gay marriage. I do not believe that V would use the word mate to refer to this person if biological children (through the normal means) were not a possibility in their future.

nocker
2007-03-15, 08:03 AM
someone calls him/her a (wo)mn to his/her face ad he/she feels indignated about it................ (wow, realy hard with his/her, he/she/it.....)

Different people called V a man and a woman. V never noticed it.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-03-15, 12:13 PM
Remember the Oracle thing? The 'right four words...'?

'I Am A [gender]!'

V Junior
2007-03-15, 12:13 PM
Uh-oh. THERE GOES A KITTEN!

It's still a 'V gender' thread, so you killed a kitten. Awww.
I beleive there was a birth defect with Vaarsuvius, he/she does not show any signs of a gender, though he/she has one. Simple!

Silverlocke980
2007-03-15, 12:20 PM
V is so unaware of gender differences in [I]other people/I] (like when Roy wore the Belt of Gender Changing) that I can't help but believe he/she doesn't even have a gender him/herself.

V is an androgynous, hermaphroditic creation who doesn't "get" the idea of gender. That's the only explanation I can wrap my poor, overworked head around, so I'm sticking to it.

Watch V's plan for the walls revolve around flashing the skeletons, and blow my idea wide open. :)

Oppolo
2007-03-15, 12:26 PM
V becomes pregnant, or makes her(his) partner pregnant- or we see her(him) bottom-less. I don't think her(his) gender will ever be revealed, though.

I'm rather sure that she(he) DOES have a gender, but she(he) just doesn't understand gender differences even in her(him)self...

the_tick_rules
2007-03-15, 02:45 PM
V gets wounded and they have to bandage the wounds. somehow the person always has to be totally naked first for this process to work.

exenia
2007-03-15, 04:12 PM
There is absolutely no way that V's reaction will offer any clues. There have been far too many times when someone comments on their confusion over V's gender. Being oblivious to Roy's change is another sign. When Nale was caught kissing Sabine-as-guard, it didn't even register a surprised remark. V obviously doesn't care much for gender issues at all and ignores them.

Even if we meet V's husband/wife and their gender is clearly known, I have no doubt it will *still* be played off an unknown in the same strip and leave V's identity undecided.

The only way I imagine we'll know for certian, is at the point where V achieves ultimate cosmic power, if that ever comes up in the strip. He/she makes a comment on former self, OOTS responds with shock that the secret is revealed, and then V responds that it hardly matters now that all of the universe is malleable to will including him/herself.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-03-15, 04:25 PM
I hold that nothing would happen, because the opposite of androgyny is still androgyny.

No, the opposite of androgyny is a clearly defined gender.

On topic, V's gender could be revealed when some random, tactless NPC meets him/her for the first time & asks about it. Of course, V would probably just get insulted at this & refuse to answer.

Aurumvorax
2007-03-15, 04:49 PM
Maybe V will try to cast a spell or use a magic item which can only be used by members of certain gender. And this spell will be rather important, too, so that he can't just avoid casting it.

FujinAkari
2007-03-15, 05:06 PM

Or that V is an elf...

ArchiviesTheQua
2007-03-15, 05:10 PM
....or we see her(him) bottom-less.

Yes, but it would probably show nothing. Probably just what a normal stick figure of this style would look like with out their pants off- there'll be nothing to see.

V is an androgynous, hermaphroditic creation who doesn't "get" the idea of gender. That's the only explanation I can wrap my poor, overworked head around, so I'm sticking to it.

Absolutly positutly (shut up! I failed spelling in grade school!). Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anyhoo, with the original statement, I could imagine that the Oracle may be lead in a different direction that "I am a [enter a gender here]." Perhaps it could be "I love you [insert character name here]." Hell, doesn't even have to be the mate's name. For all we're conserned, elves may entirely be accustomed to divorce as we humans are accustomed to sue everything that goes wrong in life.

But you never know.

(If you must know, my opinion says V is male because the majority says V is female. More of a twist if you ask me.)

MoelVermillion
2007-03-15, 06:03 PM

Actually the whole quote is more along the lines of "I am not certain i am the most qualified to comment on gender traits" which rather then proving what gender V is merely proves that V knows nothing about gender.

titan_monarch
2007-03-15, 06:19 PM
No, the opposite of androgyny is a clearly defined gender.

As shown here! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0254.html)

Haruki-kun
2007-03-15, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Guildorn Tanaleth;2199236]No, the opposite of androgyny is a clearly defined gender.[QUOTE]

True.

The opposite of Androginy is a clearly defined gender, but come to think of it:
the opposite of an androgynous male is an androgynous female, right?

Unless the opposite of an androgynous male is a clearly defined female, and a CLEARLY the opposite of an androgynous female is a clearly defined male, but none of that would be shown with the belt of gender changing, now would it?

Unless of course.......blah blah blah blah..............

J_Muller
2007-03-15, 09:20 PM
No, no. The opposite of clearly defined male/female gender is clearly defined opposite gender. It's like this:

A=defined male gender
B=androgyny
C=defined female gender

The ogre from the Belt's origin displayed its C-->A powers. Roy demonstrated its A-->C powers. Therefore, V, putting it on, would find himself still at B.

Therefore, the opposite of androgyny is still androgyny.

Haedrian
2007-03-17, 03:01 AM
Was looking around, and I found this...

#316 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html)

V gets kissed.

Can we conclude anything from the reaction?

Albion
2007-03-17, 03:42 AM
No, no. The opposite of clearly defined male/female gender is clearly defined opposite gender. It's like this:

A=defined male gender
B=androgyny
C=defined female gender

The ogre from the Belt's origin displayed its C-->A powers. Roy demonstrated its A-->C powers. Therefore, V, putting it on, would find himself still at B.

Therefore, the opposite of androgyny is still androgyny.

Agreed, unless you exclude male/female and make a pattern of thought like: A=gender-neutral, B= clearly defined gender C=androgyny(includes both genders) or A=androgyny B=clearly defined gender... but I rather go with your way of thinking, and it's indeed the only one that the Belt works with, your theory must be correct.

As shown here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/../comics/oots0254.html)

THIS makes me reconsider though. Maybe there isn't one answer to this. No law that works the same way everywhere in the OotS world. Fine by me, the real world is at least as incoherent and absurd. And it makes for more jokes.

I started to imagine V's spouse as just V with different colors and a goatee. :smallbiggrin:

Haedrian, not really. Same reaction whether V is male or female.

Gabriel
2007-03-17, 03:55 AM
Was looking around, and I found this...

#316 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html)

V gets kissed.

Can we conclude anything from the reaction?

Not really. It's more of surprise then of disgust. Even so, whose to say (s)he doesn't look like that because (s)he was disgusted by the fact that it was Belkar?

Assassinfox
2007-03-22, 02:54 PM
Giving Belkar a book on Lizard Anatomy...

MaxKaladin
2007-03-22, 04:33 PM
I like the theory I heard somewhere that we'll find out in some future strip when Pompey shows up and runs into Vaarsuvius and exclaims "Mom!" (or "Dad!")

I don't think it's particularly likely, but I like it. :smallsmile:

Studoku
2007-03-23, 07:02 PM
I think there is a reason for V's ambiguous gender.

V's apparent gender alternates between strips. If, in one strip V is male, V will be female in the next. This is a reference to the fact that the gender of the pronouns used in the D&D rules also changes.

That's my theory. Either that or V was born male but took a level or two in female later on. (Or the other way round).

demont
2007-03-23, 07:56 PM
:vaarsuvius: must be a boy because he has no boobs

Studoku
2007-03-23, 07:57 PM
:vaarsuvius: must be a boy because he has no boobs
V's boobs, if s/he is a she, are hidden by the wizards robes.

demont
2007-03-23, 08:00 PM
but see here:
you can see his chest in some panels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)

Assassinfox
2007-03-23, 08:05 PM
but see here:
you can see his chest in some panels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)

The tail gets in the way. It's not a clear view.

demont
2007-03-23, 08:13 PM
yes, but all the girls so far have had thin torsos. V's torso is a rectangle, like other male characters.

Arssanguinus
2007-03-23, 08:14 PM
but see here:

You can see V's SHOULDERS.

demont
2007-03-23, 08:21 PM
look at him and you,ll see he has no crack.

:vaarsuvius:i agree.
:belkar:oh ya.

Arssanguinus
2007-03-23, 08:23 PM

:vaarsuvius:i agree.
:belkar:oh ya.

I know girls who have no cleavage to speak of Proves little. Not everyone is pectorially enhanced, so to metaphorically speak.

Assassinfox
2007-03-23, 08:24 PM

It could just start lower down. That IS just a view of V's shoulders.

demont
2007-03-23, 08:32 PM
look at my 3 post.

:redcloak:?
:xykon:do it!

Assassinfox
2007-03-23, 08:34 PM
look at my 3 post.

What three posts? Using V and Belkar's severed heads don't count as "posts".

And elves are supposed to be skinny. :smalltongue:

demont
2007-03-23, 08:47 PM
well, i guess :vaarsuvius: is just like this thing but in gender, a complete mistery(sp?). :mitd: ? well i guess we'll find out soon enough:sighs:.

Ettlesby
2007-03-23, 10:45 PM
Someone could set V's clothes on fire. ...Of course, then be confused and looking at a naked, androgynous elf...Yeah, ignore me.

ziggurat
2007-03-24, 12:50 AM
Gender in common usage refers to the distinctions between masculinity and femininity. Currently, anthropologists, sociologists, psychologists, and gender theorists like Judith Butler and Kate Bornstein say that gender is a social construction, that it is "performative," and that one is always in the process of becoming a gender rather than actually being a gender. Additionally, the social "rules" governing gender are always shifting with the culture, making one's "masculinity" or "femininity" a (tacit) agreement among members of a culture, rather than being derived from an innate set of predetermined characteristics. Although gender is often used interchangably with sex, today many do not think that sex and gender are the same thing. Someone whose gender identity feels incongruent with how their physical body (sex) is interpreted by the dominant culture may identify as transgender or genderqueer.

You couldn't prove V's gender. You could only prove V's sex.

demont
2007-03-24, 08:19 AM
you're correct(sp?).

demont
2007-03-24, 08:21 AM
how do you make a spoiler?

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 08:27 AM
how do you make a spoiler?

[ spoiler ] V is a Guy [ /spoiler ]

Without the spaces in the spoiler tags.

demont
2007-03-24, 08:32 AM
thanks

spoiler :vaarsuvius: i am a guy spoiler

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 09:09 AM
thanks

spoiler :vaarsuvius: i am a guy spoiler

either you didnt get it or you just dindt use it.

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 01:05 PM
:vaarsuvius: I'm true neutral.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-24, 01:43 PM
several points on the anatomy thing....how old is V in elven terms....ever seen a flat chested girl? so if she is "12" in elven terms she hasnt developed....so he/she might still be a she/he

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 01:45 PM
several points on the anatomy thing....how old is V in elven terms....ever seen a flat chested girl? so if she is "12" in elven terms she hasnt developed....so he/she might still be a she/he

In a lot of settings elves develop pretty slowly. But... the problem with that theory in this case is that V is married.

Unless elves marry at 12. :eek:

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 02:08 PM
i dont think V is immature. I mean we have a wizard here. Wizards have the highest minimum starting age. and as a level 13+ wizard you might think he already has got some years of experience behind himself.

Okay i know it doesnt take years to reach level 13 but still, you cannot create a character that is not at adult age. Especially not a wizard.

V might be flat chested though (if female). Or as many people said the ropes cover quite a bit there.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-24, 02:17 PM
people in the middle ages got married at 14 or less...so why wouldnt that work for elves? Gives them lots of time to get to know their spouse and grow together perfectly so they are a single unit. Yes she is a wizard but perhaps
1) she is a bit precocious? or just advanced for her age
2) she is an elf, magic is in their veins, and wizard is their favored class. And yes you can make a character of non-adult age..its just silly. Also look at human adult age..its 15, elves are 110....she very well could be 80 years old.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-24, 02:23 PM
also, in general, elves are more slender, narrower waists, narrower, hips, and smaller breasts. Elves are graceful, it's difficult to be graceful with two enormous great nockers sticking out your front.

The answer (I believe) is actually due to the completely demolished 4th wall. V is the classic gamer, who hasn't thought of a second name, goes on and on in a tedious manner to think that he's roleplaying, and hasn't bothered to fill in the Gender, spot on his character sheet, never mind deity, height, weight, eyes, hair, skin etc etc

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 02:31 PM
also, in general, elves are more slender, narrower waists, narrower, hips, and smaller breasts. Elves are graceful, it's difficult to be graceful with two enormous great nockers sticking out your front.

Something many video game developers haven't grasped. :smallannoyed:

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 02:40 PM
Something many video game developers haven't grasped. :smallannoyed:

Word.

but that theory doesnt work very well there because there has already been a definetly female elf displayed in the comic and her body was shaped just like those of most other females (let's take Sabine and Haley for exampe, if you need one) im just too lazy to find it right now. She was in the pre-oots party.

Black_Light83
2007-03-24, 02:46 PM
Each time you make a V gender Thread, God kills a kitten :smallfrown:

o ya same thing with masterbation:smallbiggrin:

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 02:48 PM
Each time you make a V gender Thread, God kills a kitten :smallfrown:
Each time you post that in a V gender thread after the first Rich kills a popular NPC

I don't know
2007-03-24, 03:16 PM
V was obviously born in a society where talking about gender- or sex-related things is so taboo, that after decades (or maybe even centuries) of exposure - V's subconscious simply blocks out any mention of gender or sex (though maybe not the act).

In fact, elves stopped reproducing centuries ago, they still exist because they live for ages.

Short of lifting up the robes, the only way to find out what sex V is would be years of therapy.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-24, 03:27 PM
remember belkar's Lust/hate.
I don't think he put a male elf in his "Lust" and im pretty sure V's party members knows her gender.

lord_khaine
2007-03-24, 04:46 PM
no, thats part of the joke, the party doesnt know V's gender anymore than we do.

Assassinfox
2007-03-24, 04:55 PM
remember belkar's Lust/hate.
I don't think he put a male elf in his "Lust" and im pretty sure V's party members knows her gender.

First off, V's "Lust/Hate" explanation is a quack theory rooted in V's hatred for Belkar. Belkar didn't hate Lord Shojo, and we should certainly hope he didn't lust for him.

Second of all, the party doesn't know V's gender, as demonstrated in the last panel of this comic where Belkar tries to "take a peek":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html

Old One
2007-03-24, 06:03 PM

I personally would think that proved the opposite! If V's a woman, she can't answer 'cause she doesn't know! Anyway, I hope to see his/hers spouse someday (Rich said in the comic book that we would!) and hope to get a laugh because of their equally androgynous appearances! :smallbiggrin: I wonder... does Rich himself know what V is? Probably, but maybe not... yet! :smallsmile:

KingDragon
2007-03-24, 06:41 PM
people in the middle ages got married at 14 or less...so why wouldnt that work for elves? Gives them lots of time to get to know their spouse and grow together perfectly so they are a single unit. Yes she is a wizard but perhaps
1) she is a bit precocious? or just advanced for her age
2) she is an elf, magic is in their veins, and wizard is their favored class. And yes you can make a character of non-adult age..its just silly. Also look at human adult age..its 15, elves are 110....she very well could be 80 years old.

Correction.. people in middle ages got married at around 9 or 10... 20 was the average lifespan for a while. It got longer as we figured out how to make our lives easier, our bellies fuller and our lives less stressful. Yeah.. off topic I know. So the whole wise old man thing? Not looking likley

Studoku
2007-03-24, 07:09 PM
I think one of the printed comics said V was 130. In human years, this seems to translate to mid-twenties.

Threeshades
2007-03-24, 07:47 PM
I think one of the printed comics said V was 130. In human years, this seems to translate to mid-twenties.

yup thats somewhere between very late teens and early to middle twenties.

so the theory of a premature V is excluded.

Mordaedil
2007-03-25, 07:24 AM
On the Origin of the PCs page 48, top-right frame.

Boobies. While not definite proof, it's a long-shot better than the other suggestions here.

Another thing is that we don't see V in her teenage years, meaning her androgynous state was a developed thing.

Cade Shadow
2007-03-25, 11:04 AM
I have several arguments for the fact that V is female
1. I'm surprised you don't have your own set, V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html)
2. Roy wasn't worried about v seeing Elan running around Naked.
3. V and Haley are allowed to stay in the same room, Haley must know and I doubt that she would be alright with it if V was male. Then again....
4. Sabine called v female in that whole jail scene.
5. Also, V should be developed as she said that she had trained for HUNDREDS of years while learning wizardry during that whole thing with Elan the Wizard. which makes her at least 200.
6. So far, most of the women in the strip have been developed, mostly the exceptions are when they are wearing armor.

demont
2007-03-25, 11:32 AM
:xykon: hey!
:redcloak: hey!

:roach: heh heh.
:haley: heh heh(hiding).

:xykon: who are you?
:roy: hey!

:mitd: can i come out and kill him?
:xykon: no.
:elan: kill kill kill the lich.

:belkar: elan. die! die! die!
:elan: eeek! run run run from the crazy belkar

:roach: aaaaaaaaaaaaaah(shooting fire).

demont
2007-03-25, 11:53 AM
:vaarsuvius: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah will die.

:belkar:(sleep).:durkon: (sleep).:elan: (sleep).:haley: (sleep).
:roy: (sleep).

:xykon: ?!?!?????!!!!!!?

Threeshades
2007-03-25, 11:54 AM
I have several arguments for the fact that V is female
1. I'm surprised you don't have your own set, V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html)
2. Roy wasn't worried about v seeing Elan running around Naked.
3. V and Haley are allowed to stay in the same room, Haley must know and I doubt that she would be alright with it if V was male. Then again....
4. Sabine called v female in that whole jail scene.
5. Also, V should be developed as she said that she had trained for HUNDREDS of years while learning wizardry during that whole thing with Elan the Wizard. which makes her at least 200.
6. So far, most of the women in the strip have been developed, mostly the exceptions are when they are wearing armor.
1. You realize they were talking about the gemstones?
2. He didnt and doesnt know if V is female or not so (s)he was rather unimportant there. And considering how much V cares about gender/sey issues roy didnt really see V as a problem there.
3. Again V's neutral view of gender/sex makes hir the only suitable candidate there.
5. Even in OOTS-world there might be flat chested women
6. ditto.

Em
2007-03-25, 12:18 PM
Slightly worried about some of the people posting here...
1) I'm definitely an adult female. 2) I have no boobs whatsoever. 3) I'm not a freak of nature for this reason (if you don't believe me, go into a store that sells women's underwear and note how many of the bras contain silly amounts of padding, and how many exist specifically to create cleavage where there is none).
Stop playing video games and go strip a skinny woman (who hasn't had implants) naked. With her consent, obviously.

V is a character made by D of our group - verbose, intellectual, elven, with anything remotely fluffy hastily discarded.

demont
2007-03-27, 12:16 PM
[Scrubbed]

demont
2007-03-27, 12:18 PM
[Scrubbed]

Madmal
2007-03-27, 03:12 PM
kjhgffffffffffff66666666
*smite spammer*

each time you double post, a kitten is killed to raise the ratings of chrappy reality shows...and stop spamming for the love of Urdrigiel...

on the subject:
I have a hunch that V's female, but i also agree with the possibility that he/she just forgot to write on "Gender"....people has been known to do that

Kilquian
2007-03-28, 01:57 PM
V is male.
See Episode #9: "V-man is casting Identify."

Studoku
2007-03-28, 04:19 PM
V is male.

There is at least one comic where V is referered to as 'the elf chick'.

Threeshades
2007-03-28, 04:26 PM
V is male.

might as well be a bad pun intending to combine V with wo-man

Abacab
2007-03-28, 04:31 PM
V is male.

The Giant said, "Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation." in his FAQ.

And like others have stated, V was addressed as a woman, too.

MReav
2007-03-28, 04:37 PM
Go to that Black Dragon V Disintegrated, do something to bring its corpse back, then Speak With Dead it.

Hushdawg
2007-03-28, 04:42 PM
Maybe they even look exactly alike (almost), like Nale and Elan.

It'll be like "Pat" and "Chris" :D