PDA

View Full Version : Drows and Elves

Yael
2014-10-05, 12:31 AM
A drow has the Elf subtype (which qualifies it to be an elf, or something like that...)

Can a Drow take on the Substitution levels for a standard elf? Like Elf Wizard from RotW?

HunterOfJello
2014-10-05, 12:35 AM
Drow are Elves. They are Humanoids with the Elf subtype. This qualifies them for anything an elf would qualify for.

Yael
2014-10-05, 01:07 AM
Drow are Elves. They are Humanoids with the Elf subtype. This qualifies them for anything an elf would qualify for.

thanks a bunch

LTwerewolf
2014-10-05, 01:27 AM
Extreme nitpick: plural of drow is drow.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-10-05, 04:33 AM

So the same applies Sheep, Deer, Moose and Bison what's your point.

Xerlith
2014-10-05, 09:13 AM
This actually gets hilarious fluffwise if it's a Drow Ranger taking racial substitution levels.

atemu1234
2014-10-05, 09:55 AM
This actually gets hilarious fluffwise if it's a Drow Ranger taking racial substitution levels.

Name: Dzzrt D'eourdan.

Dalebert
2014-10-05, 01:56 PM

{{scrubbed}}

Another common spasm-inducing spelling error on these forums: "rouge". Ultra spasm-inducing is when I see it two times or more in the same post. Then I know it's not just a typo. What is a rouge? It must be a wizard who specializes in the pink school of magic! I'm pretty sure some people do it on purpose just to push the buttons of people like me. :smallbiggrin:

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-05, 02:35 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Another common spasm-inducing spelling error on these forums: "rouge". Ultra spasm-inducing is when I see it two times or more in the same post. Then I know it's not just a typo. What is a rouge? It must be a wizard who specializes in the pink school of magic! I'm pretty sure some people do it on purpose just to push the buttons of people like me. :smallbiggrin:

Neither of these get to me as much as the people who think "boni" is a word and use it instead of "bonuses" :smallfurious:

But we're getting off topic. Drow can indeed take elven racial sub levels, because they're Humanoid (Elf).

Werephilosopher
2014-10-05, 02:56 PM
Neither of these get to me as much as the people who think "boni" is a word and use it instead of "bonuses" :smallfurious:

Well... it IS a word. A more archaic plural form of "bonus," but still valid.
Source: Latin class

To bring this topic of annoying boni (:smallwink:) back to the original topic, since OP mentioned Elf Wizard, few things annoy me more than the sheer number of people who think you can combine Elf Wizard with hummingbird familiars to get a +8 initiative bonus. Do people not even bother reading the text of the ability?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-05, 03:02 PM
Since OP mentioned Elf Wizard, few things annoy me more than the sheer number of people who think you can combine Elf Wizard with hummingbird familiars to get a +8 initiative bonus. Do people not even bother reading the text of the ability?

"The bonus on skill checks, saves, or hit points granted by the familiar doubles."

Hm. Hadn't noticed that before, thanks for pointing it out.

Threadnaught
2014-10-05, 03:24 PM
So the same applies Sheep, Deer, Moose and Bison what's your point.

I think the point is the thread title.

To bring this topic of annoying boni (:smallwink:) back to the original topic, since OP mentioned Elf Wizard, few things annoy me more than the sheer number of people who think you can combine Elf Wizard with hummingbird familiars to get a +8 initiative bonus. Do people not even bother reading the text of the ability?

How many Familiars are introduced in Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Warrior, Fiend Folio, Miniatures Handbook and Races of Stone?
Perhaps the problem isn't the people who allow the +8 Initiative bonus, but the fact that all PHB Familiars only give those boni.

Rouge is clearly a Race.
Have you forgotten the thread about the rogue rouge Rouge Rogue/Wizard/Red Wizard?

Spore
2014-10-05, 04:22 PM

My Latin major friend would probably threaten me with a knife if I ever said "bonuses" in his house while playing with him as DM. :smallamused:

StreamOfTheSky
2014-10-05, 05:43 PM
{{scrubbed}}

That isn't funny, not in the slightest bit. How can you make light of that?

Taveena
2014-10-05, 05:47 PM
Huh. Also doesn't work with the Octopus's (Octopi's? Octopodie's? PLURALS) bonus on grapple checks.

Spore
2014-10-05, 05:56 PM
Huh. Also doesn't work with the Octopus's (Octopi's? Octopodie's? PLURALS) bonus on grapple checks.

Octopodes my dear friend. Eight-legged ones.

nyjastul69
2014-10-05, 07:31 PM
Octopodes my dear friend. Eight-legged ones.

Boni and octopodes would be correct if we were speaking Latin or Greek, respectively. Since we aren't speaking either it should be bonuses and octopuses.

Spore
2014-10-05, 07:41 PM
Actually "eight-legged ones" and "benefits" would be even better. If you delve into foreign languages I'd prefer that you go all the way.

Dalebert
2014-10-05, 08:22 PM
That isn't funny, not in the slightest bit. How can you make light of that?

.... Too soon?