PDA

View Full Version : Considering Eliminating Bluff?

Rumpus
2007-03-14, 11:05 PM
Hey all!

I'm thinking about eliminating the Bluff skill from my upcoming campaign. Basically, I can't imagine a situation that calls for a Bluff check that couldn't just as easily be represented with Diplomacy or Intimidate. If you are well-spoken and persuasive when telling the truth, you are probably equally well-spoken and persuasive when lying. If you are skilled at making threats or looking scary, you should still be threatening even when you don't neccesarily have the juice to back it up. I just don't see a need to have one skill for lying and one for telling the truth.

Mechanics-wise, any class that has Bluff in the skill list will add either Intimidate or Diplomacy if one isn't already there. The places the rules call for Bluff checks will be replaced by one of the following: Diplomacy, Intimidate, Perform (Acting) or Profession (Actor), or whatever other skill seems appropriate. I haven't figured out what to do with Feint yet, but Bluff never really seemed like a good fit for that to begin with. And to be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone feint in-game anyway...

Are there any compelling reasons to keep this skill in-game?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-03-15, 02:45 AM
I think the reason diplomacy and bluff were different skills because it takes a different kind of social angle to lie. I myself an an accomplished liar, and I know it's a whole different beast than just coming off as likable in conversation or introduction. Lying well means hiding things that might give you away, like I've heard when you lie you do things like raise your eyebrows, move your arms in a particular way, or a number of other things. Diplomacy is just being able to talk and have people like you.

This is of course just my personal opinion backed up just a bit by SCIENCE!

knightsaline
2007-03-15, 04:38 AM
you want to get rid of a skill? fair enough. D&D allows you to customize the game itself. don't want to grapple? you don't need to! thinking of eliminating the combo of spiked chain + weapon finesse? you have every right to do so! if the rules were set in stone, this board would not exist.