PDA

View Full Version : Music instrument and character theme (fantasy for preference)

hymer
2014-10-05, 08:22 AM
I'd like to ask your opinion on what sort of instrument would you expect a druid to play, were s/he to play an instrument? Any other thoughts along those lines are also appreciated.

But while we're at it, if your PC was to take up an instrument, what sort do you think it would be, and why?

Xuc Xac
2014-10-05, 08:45 AM
Actual historical druids? Singing and poetic recitation.
The modern concept of druids as magic hippies? Drums. Probably some sort of bongos.
The MMO concept of "wizard who summons pets"? Maybe a flute for Pied Piper/snake charmer action.

TheThan
2014-10-05, 06:39 PM
If you’re rocking a hippy theme, then a sitar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitar) is totally the way to go.

Red Fel
2014-10-05, 07:31 PM
I think it would depend on attitude, region of origin, etc.

First off, I'd go with simple instruments. Elaborate or mechanical instruments are a bit difficult to come by in the wilderness, after all.

Woodwinds are a popular choice. Heck, there was that one fairy swordsman guy who used an ocarina. Animals love that crap. Flutes are also great; crafting and maintaining them is a good hobby, and the sound is soothing. Deeper, meditative woodwinds, like a shakuhachi, can also be excellent.

A lyre is an interesting option, using sheepgut for strings, perhaps a tortoise shell for the box. You could go more elaborate, and craft a violin, with sheepgut strings and horse hair bow, but that's likely to warp when exposed to the elements. Lyre is simple enough, and incorporates elements of both plant and animal. It also has great mythological overtones into which you can tap.

But generally? Woodwind is easiest.

Berenger
2014-10-09, 04:02 AM
For "stereotypical celtic" druids: song or oration accompanied by harp. I reckon that's what their bards did most of the time. But I am not sure wheter the celtic societies demanded a clear distinction between these jobs or if they were allowed or expected to overlap.

Hazrond
2014-10-09, 04:13 AM
in my opinion it would either be a harp or a flute of some sort, just think of the fey musician trope, why do they play harps and woodwinds? because they are soothing and sound much softer in a place like the forest where a strong sound like a drum is likely to scare woodland creatures away

Bulhakov
2014-10-09, 06:48 AM
I'll second the advice for going with a simple wind instrument. A flute or a panflute would be very easy to carry around by an adventurer and be easily repaired/replaced.

If you want to go with an exotic instrument, have your staff double as a didgeridoo :)

As I prefer to play magic users in fantasy settings, I would probably choose to play lightning! (synthesize sounds like tesla coils)

Jay R
2014-10-09, 09:53 PM
I'd like to ask your opinion on what sort of instrument would you expect a druid to play, were s/he to play an instrument? Any other thoughts along those lines are also appreciated.

But while we're at it, if your PC was to take up an instrument, what sort do you think it would be, and why?

A Celtic druid would play a harp, if anything. A non-Celtic druid is a contradiction in terms.

The_Werebear
2014-10-10, 09:55 AM
I would say go with panpipes.

For my characters, most end up vocalists. I've had one bard who used a violin, and one especially hardcore halfling bard who used a lute with a bayonet attachment.

Jay R
2014-10-10, 10:26 AM
I would say go with panpipes.

For my characters, most end up vocalists. I've had one bard who used a violin, and one especially hardcore halfling bard who used a lute with a bayonet attachment.

That lute should break in the first round. A lute can't stand up to the stresses of combat. If it were made out of something hard enough - say, steel, it would be an inferior lute and an inferior bayonet.

If you’re rocking a hippy theme, then a sitar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitar) is totally the way to go.

That assumes a modern world in which things from different continents can come together (otherwise a sitar isn't counter-culture).

The_Werebear
2014-10-10, 06:43 PM
That lute should break in the first round. A lute can't stand up to the stresses of combat. If it were made out of something hard enough - say, steel, it would be an inferior lute and an inferior bayonet.

Magic reinforcement handled the stresses of combat, but all it was used for was Death Attacks while he studied them under the effect of Fascinate