PDA

View Full Version : dungeon diver campaign

illiteratebarb
2014-10-05, 12:03 PM
Ok so my d&d crew known affectionately by our families as the nerds, got a taste of ToH and now wants to take on every hard dungron I can make up or find. Now im putting a decent plot in there to give them a reason to roleplay their characters instead of just being automatron pc's. But what I need to know is where I can get my hands on some pre made, super difficult dungeons to test their skills in. Anyone know of any good ones? Or have any they would like to donate to the campaign, I plan on making my own as well but most of them know my tricks pretty good and can see right through me.

Seerow
2014-10-05, 12:37 PM
Honestly if you're going for tomb of horrors style dungeons, you're best off just ignoring plot entirely. The players should be rolling through so many characters that by the end any plot you started with would make no sense at all for the set of characters that actually finished.

OldTrees1
2014-10-05, 12:37 PM
Well you could adapt Return to the Tomb of Horrors when they get high enough level.

I would suggest picking up Dungeonscape for designing better traps.

Sometimes a change to a dungeon fundamental can make the Dungeon seem harder:
The Tesseract Dungeon: A dungeon with 8 rooms in the shape of a hypercube.
The rotating dungeon: A dungeon on 3 concentric rings. Each the inner circle stays in place but the other rings rotate in opposite directions at the same/different speeds.

Looking forward to see what gems this thread delivers.

illiteratebarb
2014-10-05, 12:45 PM
Honestly if you're going for tomb of horrors style dungeons, you're best off just ignoring plot entirely. The players should be rolling through so many characters that by the end any plot you started with would make no sense at all for the set of characters that actually finished.

i thought about this as well but i just want them to still use their characters as if they weren't tools and are actually extensions of their personalities. but its a minimal plot involving the group of adventurers for hire and a lot of rich "benefactors" offering money to find certain items, all while being tempted by acererak from ToH to find him.

illiteratebarb
2014-10-05, 12:46 PM
Well you could adapt Return to the Tomb of Horrors when they get high enough level.

I would suggest picking up Dungeonscape for designing better traps.

Sometimes a change to a dungeon fundamental can make the Dungeon seem harder:
The Tesseract Dungeon: A dungeon with 8 rooms in the shape of a hypercube.
The rotating dungeon: A dungeon on 3 concentric rings. Each the inner circle stays in place but the other rings rotate in opposite directions at the same/different speeds.

Looking forward to see what gems this thread delivers.

i like both of those ideas i'll definitely be incorporating those for sure, it will definitely get them to flex their brain muscles trying to figure out whats going on.