PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about feat selection

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-05, 12:49 PM
I'm currently preparing for an upcoming Pathfinder game (my first, in fact), and have assembled (with some help from this forum) a build for a ranged combat-based Tiefling Inquisitor, taking the Animal domain (feather subdomain) for a Roc companion to ride around on come 7th level. Skill-wise, I'm maxing out Perception, Ride, Stealth, and Diplomacy, while putting half ranks into Sense Motive and Knowledge (Arcana, Planes, Nature, Religion, Dungeoneering). Favored class bonuses from Tiefling, plus Stern Gaze, gives me +10 on top of all of the half-rank skills, and +20 to intimidate (but no ranks, so no +3). Feat progression is as follows:

1st: Point Blank Shot
3rd: Precise Shot
5th: Boon Companion
7th: Mounted Combat
9th: Rapid Shot
11th: Manyshot
13th: Clustered Shots
15th: Deadly Aim
17th: Improved Precise Shot
19th: Indomitable Mount

The thing is, I want to fit in one or two of the Tiefling racial feats. Specifically, Fiend Sight (because improved perceptions are good for archers; 120 ft. darkvision lets me shoot out to a full range increment in pitch blackness) and Armor of the Pit (because, since I get back the two energy resistances I give up for Scaly Skin, it's +3 NA for one feat). The question is, where should I put them in the order?

I could potentially give up Mounted Combat; the Roc will mostly be serving as a firing platform, and won't be entering melee much once it hits large size (except maybe to grab an enemy and drop them off a cliff), and my average ride check result will always be less than my mount's AC (before spells/items) except at 20th level, when they will be equal. I'll probably be tossing MC for Fiend Sight unless there's some great reason why I should keep the feat.

The other feat I don't really care about is Indomitable Mount. Should I give it up for Armor of the Pit at 19th level, or should I add Armor of the Pit earlier in the build and shift everything else two levels back?

andreww
2014-10-05, 04:43 PM
I'm currently preparing for an upcoming Pathfinder game (my first, in fact), and have assembled (with some help from this forum) a build for a ranged combat-based Tiefling Inquisitor, taking the Animal domain (feather subdomain) for a Roc companion to ride around on come 7th level. Skill-wise, I'm maxing out Perception, Ride, Stealth, and Diplomacy, while putting half ranks into Sense Motive and Knowledge (Arcana, Planes, Nature, Religion, Dungeoneering). Favored class bonuses from Tiefling, plus Stern Gaze, gives me +10 on top of all of the half-rank skills, and +20 to intimidate (but no ranks, so no +3). Feat progression is as follows:

1st: Point Blank Shot
3rd: Precise Shot
5th: Boon Companion
7th: Mounted Combat
9th: Rapid Shot
11th: Manyshot
13th: Clustered Shots
15th: Deadly Aim
17th: Improved Precise Shot
19th: Indomitable Mount

The thing is, I want to fit in one or two of the Tiefling racial feats. Specifically, Fiend Sight (because improved perceptions are good for archers; 120 ft. darkvision lets me shoot out to a full range increment in pitch blackness) and Armor of the Pit (because, since I get back the two energy resistances I give up for Scaly Skin, it's +3 NA for one feat). The question is, where should I put them in the order?

I could potentially give up Mounted Combat; the Roc will mostly be serving as a firing platform, and won't be entering melee much once it hits large size (except maybe to grab an enemy and drop them off a cliff), and my average ride check result will always be less than my mount's AC (before spells/items) except at 20th level, when they will be equal. I'll probably be tossing MC for Fiend Sight unless there's some great reason why I should keep the feat.

The other feat I don't really care about is Indomitable Mount. Should I give it up for Armor of the Pit at 19th level, or should I add Armor of the Pit earlier in the build and shift everything else two levels back?
Archery in PF is extremely feat intensive. Personally I don't think it is really compatible with also trying to squeeze in companion feats or racial feats, especially on a class which isn't getting bonus feats. Deadly Aim and Clustered Shots are both coming very late in your progression.

Personally I would definitely dump Mounted Combat, you don't need it to engage in mounted archery.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-05, 04:48 PM
Archery in PF is extremely feat intensive. Personally I don't think it is really compatible with also trying to squeeze in companion feats or racial feats, especially on a class which isn't getting bonus feats. Deadly Aim and Clustered Shots are both coming very late in your progression.

Personally I would definitely dump Mounted Combat, you don't need it to engage in mounted archery.

That's a good point about Clustered Shots and Deadly Aim; I hadn't realized that adding Boon Companion and Mounted Combat had pushed them that far down in the build. Speaking of Boon Companion, how important do you think it is? It lets me get a Large flying mount three levels sooner than I otherwise would, but I'm not sure if it's really worthwhile.

ETA: By your suggestion I have removed Mounted Combat from the sequence, shifted all of the subesquent feats other than Indomitable Mount two levels earlier, and will toss in something else at 17th level. Maybe Fiend Sight.

andreww
2014-10-05, 04:59 PM
If all you want to do is to use your Roc as a mobile weapons platform then honestly I would probably skip Boon Companion all together. You may want to invest in a ring of feather falling in the event that he does get targeted.