PDA

View Full Version : 10 5e PHB questions (my batch)

odigity
2014-10-05, 02:16 PM
(Saved it up for a single post to avoid spamming the group.)

Q1: I can't find any mention of negative consequences for casting a spell while adjacent to a hostile creature, except when the spell involves a ranged attack, just like when firing a bow. Is that true? You can be surrounded and cast Thunderwave without generating an opportunity attack or anything like that?

Q2: Is it possible to use a spell -- either touch, like Shocking Grasp, or ranged, like a Ray -- to perform a Sneak Attack? The wording for SA says "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.", and I assume a spell doesn't count as a "weapon", but would like confirmation.

Q3: On that subject, is an unarmed strike a finesse weapon? Could a Rogue 1/Monk 1 Sneak Attack with a fist?

Q4: I can't find any mention of a negative consequence for standing up from prone, other than the movement cost. Is that true? You can be on the ground, surrounded by hostile creatures, and just stand up without generating an opportunity attack?

Q4b: If so, does that weaken the usefulness of tripping and shoving to make an enemy prone?

Q5: Similarly, what's the benefit of using something like the Battle Master's Disarm maneuver if they can just pick up their weapon again on their turn as part of their attack action for free? I assume it only makes sense if you also use your "one free object interaction" as part of your disarming attack action to grab their weapon with your free hand so they can't just pick it up...

Q6: The only note I've been able to find about the effects of wearing armor on an arcane caster (like a Wizard or Arcane Trickster Rogue) is that they can't cast spells while wearing armor they have no proficieny for. That's it. No spell failure percentages. Does that mean a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 can walk around in full plate and still be as good a wizard as a dude in robes?

Q7: The only way to start with a feat at level 1 is to be a human with the Variant Human Traits on p31?

Q8.1: Feats are gained through your class, and each class can have a different feat schedule (based on it's Ability Score Increase schedule)?

Q8.2: All 12 of the base classes have identical feat schedules (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 19th = 5 total) except for Rogue (extra one at 10th) and Fighter (extra one at 6th and 14th)?

Q9: The "poisoned" condition says you get disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. I assume that includes skill checks, because skill checks are a type of ability checks. But does that now also include saving throws, because those are also basically a form of ability checks now?

Q10: Speaking of saving throws, I'm confused about something. I get that there are now six saving throws based on the six abilities, rather than the old Fort/Ref/Will based on Con/Dex/Wis in 3.5. What I don't get is what situations would cause a Str, Int, or Cha saving throw. Can anyone give examples of each? I mean, even stuff like grapple and shove are resolved with a contested Str check, which is *not* a Str saving throw (no saving throw proficiency gets added to that).

That's it for now. :)

Jeraa
2014-10-05, 02:20 PM
Q1: I can't find any mention of negative consequences for casting a spell while adjacent to a hostile creature, except when the spell involves a ranged attack, just like when firing a bow. Is that true? You can be surrounded and cast Thunderwave without generating an opportunity attack or anything like that?

Attacks of Opportunity are only provoked for moving out of a creatures reach.

Q4: I can't find any mention of a negative consequence for standing up from prone, other than the movement cost. Is that true? You can be on the ground, surrounded by hostile creatures, and just stand up without generating an opportunity attack?

See my answer to Q1.

Q6 The only note I've been able to find about the effects of wearing armor on an arcane caster (like a Wizard or Arcane Trickster Rogue) is that they can't cast spells while wearing armor they have no proficieny for. That's it. No spell failure percentages. Does that mean a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 can walk around in full plate and still be as good a wizard as a dude in robes?

Yes.

Q7: The only way to start with a feat at level 1 is to be a human with the Variant Human Traits on p31?
Yes.

Q8.1: Feats are gained through your class, and each class can have a different feat schedule (based on it's Ability Score Increase schedule)?

Yes.

Yorrin
2014-10-05, 02:31 PM
Q1: I can't find any mention of negative consequences for casting a spell while adjacent to a hostile creature, except when the spell involves a ranged attack, just like when firing a bow. Is that true? You can be surrounded and cast Thunderwave without generating an opportunity attack or anything like that? Correct. Other limitations have been put on spellcasting, but this one has been lifted.

Q2: Is it possible to use a spell -- either touch, like Shocking Grasp, or ranged, like a Ray -- to perform a Sneak Attack? The wording for SA says "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.", and I assume a spell doesn't count as a "weapon", but would like confirmation. Again correct. Spells do not count as weapons.

Q3: On that subject, is an unarmed strike a finesse weapon? Could a Rogue 1/Monk 1 Sneak Attack with a fist? Nope! This one surprises me, but even if you're getting Dex on an attack (from Monk, for example), that does not give it the finesse tag, so no sneak attack for you.

Q4: I can't find any mention of a negative consequence for standing up from prone, other than the movement cost. Is that true? You can be on the ground, surrounded by hostile creatures, and just stand up without generating an opportunity attack? Again yes. Opportunity attacks have almost disappeared. You'll get used to it eventually.

Q4b: If so, does that weaken the usefulness of tripping and shoving to make an enemy prone? Somewhat, yes.

Q5: Similarly, what's the benefit of using something like the Battle Master's Disarm maneuver if they can just pick up their weapon again on their turn as part of their attack action for free? I assume it only makes sense if you also use your "one free object interaction" as part of your disarming attack action to grab their weapon with your free hand so they can't just pick it up... Yep. This is more useful in some area where the weapon falling would be more of a big deal, like on a bridge or cliff edge.

Q6: The only note I've been able to find about the effects of wearing armor on an arcane caster (like a Wizard or Arcane Trickster Rogue) is that they can't cast spells while wearing armor they have no proficieny for. That's it. No spell failure percentages. Does that mean a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 can walk around in full plate and still be as good a wizard as a dude in robes? Yep. Casters in armor are a thing now, both Divine and Arcane.

Q7: The only way to start with a feat at level 1 is to be a human with the Variant Human Traits on p31? Correct.

Q8.1: Feats are gained through your class, and each class can have a different feat schedule (based on it's Ability Score Increase schedule)? Again correct.

Q8.2: All 12 of the base classes have identical feat schedules (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 19th = 5 total) except for Rogue (extra one at 10th) and Fighter (extra one at 6th and 14th)? And once again, correct.

Q9: The "poisoned" condition says you get disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks. I assume that includes skill checks, because skill checks are a type of ability checks. But does that now also include saving throws, because those are also basically a form of ability checks now? Nope. There are three types of d20 roll in 5e: attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks(skills). All three are different, and effects apply to them separately.

Q10: Speaking of saving throws, I'm confused about something. I get that there are now six saving throws based on the six abilities, rather than the old Fort/Ref/Will based on Con/Dex/Wis in 3.5. What I don't get is what situations would cause a Str, Int, or Cha saving throw. Can anyone give examples of each? I mean, even stuff like grapple and shove are resolved with a contested Str check, which is *not* a Str saving throw (no saving throw proficiency gets added to that). They are certainly a lot less common. Str saves are often actually Athletics saves and are often opposed checks (with proficiency if applicable). We're told Int will be used against Psionics, which aren't out yet. Cha saves are called for by the Cleric spells that banish outsiders, but that's the only example off the top of me head.

odigity
2014-10-05, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the thorough and quick response! Couldn't ask for better.

Other limitations have been put on spellcasting, but this one has been lifted.

The limitations I've noticed are:
- far fewer spell slots
- can't stack effects as much

However, there are some really nice benefits over 3.5 (for wizard, anyway):
1) the separation of spell slots and prepared spells means you can now prepare a utility spell that you feel you always need on hand but rarely use and not have it waste a spell slot unless you actually cast it
2) ritual casting means even fewer slots or prepared spells wasted on utility or niche spells
3) you can even get a few slots back by resting
4) unlimited at-will cantrips so you've always got something to do, just like the martial chars

Overall, pretty nifty package.

Nope! This one surprises me, but even if you're getting Dex on an attack (from Monk, for example), that does not give it the finesse tag, so no sneak attack for you.

That is so bizarre. But I guess they make up for it by making nearly all simple weapons qualify as a "monk weapon", and therefore compatible with all Monk features.

On closer inspection of the wording, it also seems like the Monk has the unique ability to use Dex for simple weapons even if they don't have the finesse property:

"...monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property."
"You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons."

Though the criteria for Sneak Attack would still apply (must be finesse), so you're still limited to either dagger or shortsword if you want to be a Sneak Attacking Rogue/Monk.

They are certainly a lot less common. Str saves are often actually Athletics saves and are often opposed checks (with proficiency if applicable). We're told Int will be used against Psionics, which aren't out yet. Cha saves are called for by the Cleric spells that banish outsiders, but that's the only example off the top of me head.

Saving throws can involve skill proficiency bonuses? What's next, cats and dogs living together?

odigity
2014-10-05, 03:03 PM
Though the criteria for Sneak Attack would still apply (must be finesse), so you're still limited to either dagger or shortsword if you want to be a Sneak Attacking Rogue/Monk.

What the deuce? I just came across this comment in other thread:

"Ruling was that a monk treats it as a finesse weapon, so it is sneak attack-able. This ruling was later agreed upon by Mearls in a tweet."
-- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18178305&postcount=1

Is that legit? Anyone know if rulings like are going to get compiled into some kind of official FAQ or Errata on the WotC site?

Tenmujiin
2014-10-05, 03:22 PM
(Saved it up for a single post to avoid spamming the group.)

Q3: On that subject, is an unarmed strike a finesse weapon? Could a Rogue 1/Monk 1 Sneak Attack with a fist?

As a DM I would allow this (they still use dex) but RAW it is not.

Q10: Speaking of saving throws, I'm confused about something. I get that there are now six saving throws based on the six abilities, rather than the old Fort/Ref/Will based on Con/Dex/Wis in 3.5. What I don't get is what situations would cause a Str, Int, or Cha saving throw. Can anyone give examples of each? I mean, even stuff like grapple and shove are resolved with a contested Str check, which is *not* a Str saving throw (no saving throw proficiency gets added to that).

There are saves for things that aren't spells but I'm going to give spell or psudo-spell examples.
Strength saves are mostly used for what would once have been constitution saves. Four elements monks get an ability to hit a foe with a fist of air, knocking them back and prone unless they succeed on a strength save, many restraining effects such as a ancients paladin's restraining strike or (I think) web the target chooses strength or dex (the old strength/dex check to break your bindings is now a strength/dex save)
Intelligence saves are used to resist illusions mainly, your using you reasoning and logic to realise that they ain't real. The spell Maze targets int.
Charisma saves are sometimes used to retain control of your actions as opposed to wisdom saves which are used to shrug off mental effects. I can't find any spells that target char with a 30 second flick through the PHB but when I wake up in a few hours I'll have a proper look unless someone else beats me to it, I'm 80% sure I saw one a while back.

Envyus
2014-10-05, 03:28 PM
Stuff like the Mind Flayer causes Int saves with it's mind blast. A cha save is needed to avoid being possessed by a ghost. And Battle Master maneuvers have soem effects that cause str saves. Wolves and effects that knock you prone also tend to cause str saves.

Prone's issue is that the creature has disadvantage on attack rolls and attacks against the creature made within 5ft of it have advantage.

odigity
2014-10-05, 03:31 PM
Strength saves are mostly used for what would once have been constitution saves. Four elements monks get an ability to hit a foe with a fist of air, knocking them back and prone unless they succeed on a strength save, many restraining effects such as a ancients paladin's restraining strike or (I think) web the target chooses strength or dex (the old strength/dex check to break your bindings is now a strength/dex save)

Intelligence saves are used to resist illusions mainly, your using you reasoning and logic to realise that they ain't real. The spell Maze targets int.

Charisma saves are sometimes used to retain control of your actions as opposed to wisdom saves which are used to shrug off mental effects. I can't find any spells that target char with a 30 second flick through the PHB but when I wake up in a few hours I'll have a proper look unless someone else beats me to it, I'm 80% sure I saw one a while back.

Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully someone will eventually compile all the possible save triggers into a big table or chart so we can start debating the value of each save proficiency and therefore the starting value of the 12 base classes for that purpose. :)

Gnomes2169
2014-10-05, 05:25 PM
Just going to add to 10 that almost every monster fear effect (and most undead abilities that target the mind) attack your cha save. Oh, and most charm attacks from monsters... Which are a hell of a lot more beefy than the PC charm/ suggestion effects (bordering on domination, in fact).

Hytheter
2014-10-05, 05:35 PM
"You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons."

This is true, but I reckon many DMs would let you sneak attack unarmed anyway since the effects are so similar.

Then again, the Monk's unarmed attacks aren't really any stronger until higher levels, especially if you're multiclassing, so it mightn't even matter.

Cambrian
2014-10-05, 05:35 PM
Q5: Similarly, what's the benefit of using something like the Battle Master's Disarm maneuver if they can just pick up their weapon again on their turn as part of their attack action for free? I assume it only makes sense if you also use your "one free object interaction" as part of your disarming attack action to grab their weapon with your free hand so they can't just pick it up...Has anyone considered the ability to pick up or kick the weapon away?

From the PHB:
Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action:
• pick up a dropped axe
• kick a small stone

odigity
2014-10-05, 05:41 PM
Has anyone considered the ability to pick up or kick the weapon away?

From the PHB:
Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action:
• pick up a dropped axe
• kick a small stone

I did. Right in the section you quoted, actually:

"I assume it only makes sense if you also use your "one free object interaction" as part of your disarming attack action to grab their weapon with your free hand so they can't just pick it up..."

Cambrian
2014-10-05, 06:04 PM
Sorry missed that part. Several times before I've seen that question raised but no one has ever brought up the ability to use that ability. I can't see any reason if it was a small item you couldn't kick it away, or as you mentions pick it up with a free hand.

Also there is potential for a spellcaster to use something like magehand to grab the weapon as well.

Strill
2014-10-05, 06:07 PM
Q1: I can't find any mention of negative consequences for casting a spell while adjacent to a hostile creature, except when the spell involves a ranged attack, just like when firing a bow. Is that true? You can be surrounded and cast Thunderwave without generating an opportunity attack or anything like that?Yes.

Q2: Is it possible to use a spell -- either touch, like Shocking Grasp, or ranged, like a Ray -- to perform a Sneak Attack? The wording for SA says "The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.", and I assume a spell doesn't count as a "weapon", but would like confirmation.No.

Q4: I can't find any mention of a negative consequence for standing up from prone, other than the movement cost. Is that true? You can be on the ground, surrounded by hostile creatures, and just stand up without generating an opportunity attack?Correct.

Q4b: If so, does that weaken the usefulness of tripping and shoving to make an enemy prone?Attacking a prone enemy from 5' away gives Advantage to your rolls.

Q5: Similarly, what's the benefit of using something like the Battle Master's Disarm maneuver if they can just pick up their weapon again on their turn as part of their attack action for free? I assume it only makes sense if you also use your "one free object interaction" as part of your disarming attack action to grab their weapon with your free hand so they can't just pick it up...Yes you can just pick up the disarmed weapon. You can also kick it across the ground.

Q6: The only note I've been able to find about the effects of wearing armor on an arcane caster (like a Wizard or Arcane Trickster Rogue) is that they can't cast spells while wearing armor they have no proficieny for. That's it. No spell failure percentages. Does that mean a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 can walk around in full plate and still be as good a wizard as a dude in robes?Yes.

Q7: The only way to start with a feat at level 1 is to be a human with the Variant Human Traits on p31?Yes.

Q8.1: Feats are gained through your class, and each class can have a different feat schedule (based on it's Ability Score Increase schedule)?Yes.

Q8.2: All 12 of the base classes have identical feat schedules (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 19th = 5 total) except for Rogue (extra one at 10th) and Fighter (extra one at 6th and 14th)?Yes.

Q10: Speaking of saving throws, I'm confused about something. I get that there are now six saving throws based on the six abilities, rather than the old Fort/Ref/Will based on Con/Dex/Wis in 3.5. What I don't get is what situations would cause a Str, Int, or Cha saving throw. Can anyone give examples of each? I mean, even stuff like grapple and shove are resolved with a contested Str check, which is *not* a Str saving throw (no saving throw proficiency gets added to that).CHA saves are usually to avoid being possessed. INT saves are for psionic powers.

MeeposFire
2014-10-05, 09:12 PM
What the deuce? I just came across this comment in other thread:

"Ruling was that a monk treats it as a finesse weapon, so it is sneak attack-able. This ruling was later agreed upon by Mearls in a tweet."
-- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18178305&postcount=1

Is that legit? Anyone know if rulings like are going to get compiled into some kind of official FAQ or Errata on the WotC site?

It is probably going to end up as legit as your DM wants it to be. Unlike in the previous 2 editions you are probably not going to see too much hard eratta unless it is something major. For the most part they seem to just say that the designers use this ruling in their games or that is how they see it being used. In the end your DM will have to decide what is right for your game in these matters though your DM can choose to accept this as evidence to allow SA with monk weapons.