PDA

View Full Version : Magical Beasts from good-aligned planes?

Reshy
2014-10-05, 08:25 PM
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me figure out a list of magical beasts native to good aligned planes; as well as what particular plane they reside on. I've seen the list from Manual of the Planes, but it's very sparse on magical beasts for what is theoretically an infinite plane.

Jeraa
2014-10-05, 10:34 PM
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me figure out a list of magical beasts native to good aligned planes; as well as what particular plane they reside on. I've seen the list from Manual of the Planes, but it's very sparse on magical beasts for what is theoretically an infinite plane.

There probably aren't a lot of them. Most creatures from other planes are Outsiders, not Magical Beasts.

Any animal or vermin with the Celestial template would qualify, as the template changes their type to magical beast.

Edit: After doing some quick searches of Monster Manuals 1-5, there are only a handful of magical beasts that come from other planes. None of them come from good-aligned planes.

jedipotter
2014-10-06, 12:13 AM
If your looking for just Magical Beasts, the only ones in the books are the templated animals. The Celestial and other ''plane'' templates. Magical beasts other then the ''animals'' just don't live on the planes.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-06, 12:23 AM
I seem to recall the fluff of the Beastlands being that there were animals and magical beasts of all kinds there. That's certainly how I've treated it; unicorns, pegasai, senmurvs, bearhounds, and many more live there, alongside the natural animals of the plane and guardinals. Pretty sure that that one god of unicorns whose name is escaping me at the moment lives there, insinuating that other unicorns would as well.

I would probably think that not all of the creatures there need be celestial-templated. Some may have moved there naturally and become resident breeding populations, while others would be spawned by the plane (or be Prime animals/magical beasts that died and were reborn in the Beastlands). There are established examples of all manner of mortal beings living in small, usually well-hidden areas in the Lower Planes, and I would assume that that would be even more common on the much more habitable Upper Planes. So, no, not all beings that live on Outer Planes are outsiders, just most of them (and almost all that are born/created/enter existence out there).

Remember, it is within the power of almost any god to have a breeding population of whatever kind of creature they fancy native to their domain. So if Pelor wants unicorns, they are there. If Morwel (not technically a goddess) wants a bunch of senmurvs to flock around her when she goes on diplomatic quests, she can manage that.

Psyren
2014-10-06, 12:37 AM
Do Blink Dogs count?

I don't see an easy way of doing this short of scouring the "environment" line of every magical beast you can find.

DeltaEmil
2014-10-06, 12:41 AM
According to Monsterfinder.de (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/), aside from the creatures with the celestial template applied on them, the only magical beasts from good-aligned planes are the Elysian Thrush and the Leskylor.

Reshy
2014-10-06, 12:41 AM
I'm asking for a Strict RAW reading. I know about the magical beasts in the Beatific/Heavenly Encounters section of the MotP, but nothing more than that.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-06, 12:46 AM
Then leskylor and Elysian Thrush are probably the most you can hope for. Kind of surprised Holyphant isn't a magical beast, though.

Elysian Thrush does provide a conceptual basis for other, non-outsider creatures that inhabit the upper planes. Their choice of what was outsider and what was magical beast seems to have been a bit inconsistent, though. Made further problematic by the fact that outsider is a type that can encompass almost anything imaginable.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.:smallfrown:

Leskylor is from BoED, and I believe Elysian Thrush is detailed with the summon Elysian thrush spell in Spell Compendium.

Psyren
2014-10-06, 12:52 AM
I'm almost sure that Valarian's domain on Elysium has copies of all the good-aligned magical beasts - unicorns, pegasi, lammasu, blink dogs, androsphinxes etc.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-06, 01:02 AM
I'm almost sure that Valarian's domain on Elysium has copies of all the good-aligned magical beasts - unicorns, pegasi, lammasu, blink dogs, androsphinxes etc.

Aha. That's the god I was thinking of. Pity he didn't live where I thought he did; Beastlands is seriously operating on well-trodden thematic grounds.