PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Planar Binding [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2014-10-05, 10:30 PM
I was just wondering, is it legal to Planar Bind, say, a Succubus with two dozen templates on it? Let's just say that there's no conflicting templates, for the sake of all those who try and run it down at the slightest thought.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-05, 10:35 PM
I don't know if you could call a generic templated outsider. However, if you know of a specific templated outsider, I think there's a stronger case for your being able to call it.

Steward
2014-10-05, 10:36 PM
Could the templates interfere with the hit dice limitation on the Planar Binding spells?

More to the point, I'm not sure that you can necessarily guarantee that a given summoned outsider has a given template. I always thought it was random which individual member of a species you summon with the spell.

Bad Wolf
2014-10-05, 10:56 PM
It just says that 'The kind of creature to be bound must be known and stated. If you wish to call a specific individual, you must use that individual’s proper name in casting the spell.'

Steward
2014-10-05, 11:53 PM
I read that the way Extra Anchovies does. If you want to call a kind of creature - such as a succubus -- the spell sends a succubus to you. It doesn't necessarily let you customize it, it just sends one member of that kind of creature. If you know the name of a specific succubus that has two dozen templates, then you can call that specific creature using its proper name.

If that's what you want (to a call a certain succubus with specific templates whose name that you already know) then you should be good.

Andezzar
2014-10-06, 01:35 AM
I read that the way Extra Anchovies does. If you want to call a kind of creature - such as a succubus -- the spell sends a succubus to you. It doesn't necessarily let you customize it, it just sends one member of that kind of creature. If you know the name of a specific succubus that has two dozen templates, then you can call that specific creature using its proper name."Kind of creature" is not defined by RAW AFAIK. Most definitely we do not have any evidence that it is the same a a species. I think we can agree that there are differences between a succubus and a succubus with two dozens of templates. So I see nothing in the rules against calling a generic succubus with two dozens of templates.

Psyren
2014-10-06, 01:46 AM
You can attempt to call/lure anything you want. Whether such a being exists in your DM's world is another matter entirely.

J-H
2014-10-06, 12:18 PM
I read that the way Extra Anchovies does. If you want to call a kind of creature - such as a succubus -- the spell sends a succubus to you. It doesn't necessarily let you customize it, it just sends one member of that kind of creature. If you know the name of a specific succubus that has two dozen templates, then you can call that specific creature using its proper name.

If that's what you want (to a call a certain succubus with specific templates whose name that you already know) then you should be good.

If he's summoning succubi I'd say he should be evil. :wink:
I agree with Steward's assessment of the RAW also.