PDA

View Full Version : Snicker-Snack!

AngelSword
2007-03-15, 06:27 AM
I remember reading, oh, so many years ago, the poem, "Jabberwocky," from Through the Looking Glass, And What Alice Found There. In it, a boy hunts a beast (called appropriately, Jabberwocky) with a "vorpal sword in hand." I loved the poem for its nonsensical rhyming, and the fact that my favorite lines from the Disney adaptation, "Alice in Wonderland," are taken from it.

Years passed, and it slipped from memory. Then I started playing D&D. Blah, blah, blah, back story, back story. I was looking for inspiration for my game, and this poem came back to my mind.

However, something caught my eye:

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

This got me wondering, and thus to posting this. Do vorpal weapons make noise when they do actually lop off an opponent's head?

Additionally, has anyone ever wrote up stats for the Jabberwock, Bandersnatch, or the Jubjub bird??

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-15, 06:30 AM
I'd assume they'd make a "thunk" sound, like anything lopping off a creature's head.

The Jabberwock (the beast is not named Jabberwocky) would probably be a Large magical beast, with Improved Grab and a dangerous bite attack...

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 06:32 AM
The Jabberwock was in one of the 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium Annuals. It was great fun :)

Cyborg Pirate
2007-03-15, 06:33 AM
You might like this model: http://www.satyrsculptingstudio.com/images/archive/a-jabberwocky-1.jpg

Zincorium
2007-03-15, 06:33 AM
I'd be more interested in the Frumious Bandersnatch or the jub-jub bird. I mean, we know the jabberwock can be taken out, the boy did it, but those two remain a mystery.

In any case, the whole Lewis Carrol universe is remarkably fun to roleplay in if you have an imaginative DM (I suppose varnishing paintings in a poorly ventilated area couldn't hurt either).

AngelSword
2007-03-15, 06:40 AM
You might like this model: http://www.satyrsculptingstudio.com/images/archive/a-jabberwocky-1.jpg

That is super cool.:smallbiggrin: I wonder where I might find it. If I ever do write up the Jabberwock, I'll definitely need that.

I've always envisioned (or "enheard, which works as a word, since we're talking nonsense, anyway) "snicker-snack" was a specific noise made by the blade. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'll ever get that idea out of my head.

I'll probably adopt the noise for my world, regardless. I am just curious if it ever did, "officially."

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-15, 07:26 AM
I've always envisioned (or "enheard, which works as a word, since we're talking nonsense, anyway) "snicker-snack" was a specific noise made by the blade. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'll ever get that idea out of my head.

I'll probably adopt the noise for my world, regardless. I am just curious if it ever did, "officially."

You could always make an intelligent Vorpal Blade capable of speech :smallwink:

Darrin
2007-03-15, 07:27 AM
In any case, the whole Lewis Carrol universe is remarkably fun to roleplay in if you have an imaginative DM (I suppose varnishing paintings in a poorly ventilated area couldn't hurt either).

Dungeonland and the Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (Gary Gygax's take on the Lewis Carrol universe) are both available as free downloads on the WotC site:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020121x8

1st Edition stats, so quite a bit of conversion work, and... well, let's just say that these two modules feature Gygax's "whimsical" side, which is to say, lots of dragging players roughshod over bad jokes and puns right alongside the usual mix of unforgivable deathtraps.

Hzurr
2007-03-15, 04:41 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html <- Bottom left

Wasn't the word "vorpal" invented by Carroll, and just picked up by d&d later?

--
edit: Yes, it was. Yay wikipedia!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 04:43 PM
Yes, it was indeed.

TricksyAndFalse
2007-03-15, 05:22 PM
Additionally, has anyone ever wrote up stats for the Jabberwock, Bandersnatch, or the Jubjub bird??

I once modelled a Changeling: The Dreaming session after Carroll's "The Hunting of the Snark: an Agony in Eight Fits". I had stats for a JubJub bird (one appears in the poem), but I don't think you're looking for oWoD stats.

The_Snark
2007-03-15, 05:36 PM
I made stats for a Bandersnatch once, but I can't remember what I did with them, and it was a while ago.

I also requested stats made for my forum name back when that thread was still up, with an advanced Boojum version. Never got them, though.

AngelSword
2007-03-16, 03:28 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html <- Bottom left

Wasn't the word "vorpal" invented by Carroll, and just picked up by d&d later?

--
edit: Yes, it was. Yay wikipedia!
Yay! I'm not the only one!

Snark, you're not WizO_Snark, by any chance, are you?

Morphius
2007-03-16, 04:51 AM

Imagine a vorpal blade shouting "Snicker-snack!" every time it cuts off somebody's head!

...Hey, there's a great idea for something to inflict on my PCs, either for or against them!

Jerthanis
2007-03-16, 04:54 AM

I had an intelligent vorpal blade once, but all it would ever say was snicker-snack. (it's been my sig since I started posting here)

Anyway, yes, Lewis Carrol is awesome, and monster stats for the creatures mentioned in his tales would be awesome.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-16, 05:01 AM
There is nothing else to say if you are a Vorpal Blade. ;)

Except maybe: "Be careful not to lose your head in the midst of combat"

Jannex
2007-03-16, 05:04 AM
I once modelled a Changeling: The Dreaming session after Carroll's "The Hunting of the Snark: an Agony in Eight Fits". I had stats for a JubJub bird (one appears in the poem), but I don't think you're looking for oWoD stats.

I wouldn't mind 'em. I'm running a Changeling game online for some friends these days, and even if I don't use the Jubjub Bird in-game (they're not what you'd call a high-combat party), I'm terribly curious.

Telonius
2007-03-16, 01:43 PM
Well, the Bandersnatch would have to have Improved Grab, whatever else it had...