PDA

View Full Version : The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 12:40 PM
It folds its wings in and sits, head high and tail swishing behind it. Looking directly at Oliana, it continues to open broadcast its 'speech'. Levexisk. Its tail stops swishing and its head lifts, much like it is quite proud of itself. I'm a dragon.

anIceFan
2007-04-20, 12:51 PM
Nalik

Nalik sits down facing the 'dragon'.
Yes Levexisk I see now that you are a dragon. Can you tell us more about your mistress. Was she with others when she fought the monster? Can you tell us about the other people she was with? Did any of them survive?

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 01:15 PM
Levexisk growls, an angry sound. His mind voice is also colored by anger. Astryn. He betrayed us all. Maybe if the Defenders had been at full strength, we could have taken the monster and Astryn at once. But there were only seven once he turned on us. Astryn got away with only one of Arrinistyll's arrows in him. I followed him some, but I came back when my mistress died." Levexisk lifts a front claw and points towards a cleft in the the mountains that is perhaps two miles away. He went through the mountain pass to the other side.

anIceFan
2007-04-20, 01:23 PM
Nalik

I think we need to have a talk with this Astryn. Can you describe him for us. We will be leaving this spot shortly, would you like to accompany us, maybe you can show us the way, for a while at least.

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 01:38 PM
An annoyed breath puffs out of Levexisk's nostrils. You need to kill him, not talk to him. Traitors deserve nothing better. But, I need to take Jessica's ring back to her family. I couldn't get it because of the monster. But you seem to have killed it, so now I can. Levexisk starts to walk away, towards the scene of the fight.

oliana0
2007-04-20, 02:12 PM
Oliana

Oliana eyes brighten when the creature tells he (she?) is a Dragon. She quickly swings her pack around and retrieves the ring they found under the monster.

"Levexisk? Is this the ring that belonged to Jessica?" She calls out to the dragon in draconic, mostly just to have the practice. She holds the ring out in a out stretched hand, and raises her other arm so that Levexisk may perch on her arm while viewing the ring.

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 02:24 PM
Levexisk jumps up onto Oliana's arm. He can't possibly weigh more than 9 or 10 pounds. He peers at the ring in her other hand. No, that one was Jaden's. Jessica's is gold with a small red gemstone. It isn't magic, just a family heirloom.

oliana0
2007-04-20, 02:36 PM
Oliana

"I'll help you look for it." Oliana will assist in looking for the ring.

lawful_evil
2007-04-20, 08:04 PM
Carter

Hmm.. The only thing I see is that little dragon flying over towards Nalik.. Ack, there is a little dragon flying over towards Nalik. What the? Why? Why are they just standing there not doing anything? Must be some sort of magic or something. Maybe Elis can shoot it down.

Carter goes over to Elis and directs his attention to the dragon. "Obviously it has them under some sort of spell. Can you manage to shoot it before it gets it under its spell?"

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 08:53 PM
"It doesn't really seem hostile, and if what it said is true, it was with the last Defenders. I'll watch it, though." Elisathalan lifts his bow and nocks an arrow, watching the little dragon on Oliana's arm carefully as they move through the site.

After a couple of minutes, Levexisk jumps off her arm and into a shrub. Its tail, the only part of it visible, swishes in the air for half a minute, then it backs out and has a gold ring in its front claw. Her mother will be sad. But at least she will have the ring. Levexisk looks directly at Oliana, with as stern a look as a dragon the size of a cat can muster. Find Astryn and kill him slowly. Make him suffer.

Annalia
2007-04-20, 11:07 PM
Hertz

When he heard Nalik's call and then the dragon's voice in his head, Hertz had nervously made his way closer to the river. He listened tensely to the conversation but says nothing. The dragon, the betrayal, the fight and the mountain pass. Things were getting stranger by the minute.

lawful_evil
2007-04-21, 04:02 PM
Carter

Looking at Elis, he says, "What? You can hear it from way over here? Why would Nalik warn us to keep an eye out if we had discovered a companion of the Defenders?" Carter frowns and while keeping an eye on the beast, he scans the surroundings to make sure this thing isn't distracting us so that some other group can attack us from our flanks.

raspberrybadger
2007-04-21, 06:58 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran, keeping watch as well, says "I didn't see any sign of magic in use. I think the little dragon is like my Alian here,"[color=navy] taking his little bat familiar out of his pocket. [color=navy]"If so, the thing may be of use to us."

oliana0
2007-04-21, 11:15 PM
Oliana

Oliana sends an odd look to Elis and waves her hand trying to tell him to put the weapon away.

In draconic, "I hope that I may be able to do Jessica and her friends justice. Before you go, Levexisk. Would you happen to know of the powers of these items. They may come in handy tracking down Astryn."

Oliana pulls out the magic items from her pack for the little dragon to peruse.

dauphinous
2007-04-22, 06:26 AM
Elis shrugs at Oliana and lowers his bow, but keeps it ready.

The dragon nods and looks over the items. Jaden was sharing sheets with Jessica, so I know he got the green rock from the temple of Thor. It casts a spell, but only once. Divine Power, I think. The ring was his, too. It made his weapon special. He could use it once every day, and all it took was a thought to activate it. He never had to use a command word or anything. The wands were Jessica's. That one, Levexisk points to the ivory wand, casts Magic Missile. That one, it points to the bone wand, "casts Summon Monster II. She had them for a while, and used them a lot, so they probably don't have very many charges left. The feather was Arrinistyl's. I think it made him a little quieter. The blue stone was Allianne's, it could be used once to cast Feather Fall. The oil in the flask does the same thing as Jaden's ring, you can only use it once, though. The metal vial was Torian's. He said it would help him if we had to move in a hurry, but I'm not sure how.

It looks up at Oliana. Jaden was a paladin of Thor. I'll tell them at the temple about his passing, too. Though, I'm not sure they know him well there. He trained elsewhere. Does that help?

{Everyone can hear the voice, directly in your mind.}

Holocron Coder
2007-04-23, 05:10 AM
Deladus

"It helps immensely, my friend," Deladus answers. He hadn't understood much of what the creature had said, not being a practitioner of magic himself. However, he knew it was more than they knew before, and that it helped confirm that the creature had indeed been the cause of the last company's demise.

anIceFan
2007-04-23, 05:06 PM
Nalik

Indeed Levexisk, you have been most helpful. If you will be going to the temple of Thor, can I ask that you deliver a message.

Assuming Levexisk consents, Nalik will borrow some paper from someone and writes the following note.

Abbot Hammersmith,
As I am sure you are aware, Highgate command has deemed it appropriate to raise me to a corporal, and place the Defenders under my command. I ask that the temple pray for my success in leading these fine men and women.
I had a strange dream last night. I can only imagine that it was a message from Thor. Today I feel more connected to his works. My healing skills seem to have greatly increased as well. I would speak to you of this when I return to Highgate.
Humbly
Corporal Nalik Stormbrow, Highgate Defenders.

Nalik will then call Hertz and Sarrok over
I was hoping to let nature complete your healing, but I now believe we need to follow the trail of this Atryn, lets see if Thor will grant us a little more.
He then lays a hand on each mans forehead and prays to Thor for healing.

Trading another turn undead to extend cure light wounds to multiple folk.
[roll0]

Nalik feels the strength of Thor move through him into the men. As the power moves, both of them feel like they have strength and energy to spare.

Hertz will get all 9 HP, so that should put him at 16
Sarrok will get a total of 7 HP added
The additional HP above normal will wear off in 1 hour.

WarBrute
2007-04-23, 05:23 PM
Sarrok Balderk

During most of the exchange Sarrok remian detatched. He stands back and watches as the dragon converrse with the others.

Sarrok accepts the healing touch of Nalik and nods in thanks. He then returns to Ulfgards side.

oliana0
2007-04-23, 05:40 PM
Oliana

"Thank you very much Levexisk. Your help will go far to keeping us moving towards finding the one that betrayed you. Tell me, is there a way we should recognize Astryn when we see him?"

Oliana bows her head to the dragon.

Just before it, leaves, she will say, "Please, if you'd like to return to us, I would enjoy learning about your heritage. Dragons fascinate me."

Annalia
2007-04-23, 06:35 PM
Hertz

Hertz moves closer when he is called, and nods to Nalik as the remaining of his wounds begin to close. "Thanks. Hopefully I will not need the healing again anytime soon. I'm ready to move out."

dauphinous
2007-04-23, 06:46 PM
Astryn is about six feet tall with dark hair and brown eyes. He uses a sword most of the time, but also carries a bow. And he wears blue dragon armor. The voice in your heads becomes bitter and sneering. A gift from his father for a 'devoted son of Highgate'. One can only wonder about the Commander when his own son turns traitor.

Annalia
2007-04-23, 09:53 PM
Hertz

The commander's son? This is bad... Hertz glances at Nalik before looking at his other companions. With a shake of his head, he is the first to break the uneasy silence. "I will not judge someone based on his family's actions."

raspberrybadger
2007-04-23, 11:42 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran thinks to himself This was going to be so simple - we were going to flatten the rats, get our revenge, have a nice safe base of operations all trapped up. Now, we pretty much have to deal with this orc mess, watching our backs for the rats. All because some stupid commander didn't teach his son right how to be a good human. I've met plenty of human fathers whose sons didn't have to resort to this cheapness to show their dads they were bad kids. I signed up to kill goblins and the like, not to give overdue parenting with the pointy end of a color spray. Maybe if we knock him out I can kick him in the face a few times so he wonders why his head hurts so much when he wakes up. At least we know who to kick now.

lawful_evil
2007-04-24, 05:38 AM
Carter

Carter walks the edge of the group keeping an eye out for trouble and attempting to throw off whatever magics allow the dragon to bewitch his brain.

Will save (1d20=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=997164)

anIceFan
2007-04-24, 03:42 PM
Nalik

Ok, lets get ready to move out. Oliana, you and Ziran can work out who holds the wands. Lets have Sarrok hold that feather. I will take the green stone. The rest of the items, if you can hold them for now, we can get moving.

Nalik then retrieves Whiteboots, and prepares to move out.

Lets resume out marching order from before, this is new territory now, so everyone be on your toes.

Marching order is Sarrok, Deladus, Kruhljack,Hertz,Oliana,Nalik,Ziran,Elis of the soon to be anviled, and Carter

oliana0
2007-04-24, 08:14 PM
Oliana

Oliana distributes the items as told, and offers the Summon Monster wand to Ziran. "I think that real animals would make your illusions quite distubing, no?"

dauphinous
2007-04-24, 08:31 PM
Good luck to you all. Levexisk leaps off of Oliana's arm and spreads his wings to fly away. Should we meet again, Miss Oliana, I will certainly take the time to speak with you. It flies away, headed due south.Leaving the river's side to head for the pass, the terrain gradually becomes rocky enough that vegetation is quite sparse. A few gnarled and twisted trees cling to the rocks, but all is otherwise barren. It takes about an hour to get to the pass, taking switchbacks for the horses or climbing straight up for those not mounted. it is a difficult and time consuming trek.

The pass itself is a sharp 'V' in the rock. You can walk or ride only in single file through it, and the walls seem far too perfect. From the south end, where you are, you cannot see the other end, as there seems to be a bend in the pass ahead. Looking up, the cut in the rock is smooth and even with no ledge above.

Annalia
2007-04-24, 09:10 PM
Hertz

Hertz walks in slowly, keeping his place in the marching order. A hand on Ampere, he looks around at the rather unsettling pass. This would make a nice ambush spot. Hopefully, the lack of edge continues for the entire pass...

Holocron Coder
2007-04-24, 10:47 PM
Deladus

Being cautious, Deladus prepares his weapon and shield, scanning the upper portions of the crevasse. This doesn't look so great...

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-24, 11:27 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Restricted to single file and not leading the line, Kruhljak shifts his flail to his left hand, allowing the reins to drop to hang across Cinnamon's neck. With his right, he reaches over his shoulder to pull forth one of his blood-red javelins, tossing it slightly and catching it in a proper throwing grip.

His mount is making its way well enough on its own, but, regardless, Kruhljak's knees appear to guide out of habit.

raspberrybadger
2007-04-25, 02:29 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran smiles at Oliana and says "Ah, yes. I would be more than happy to inflict the surprise on our enemies, when they fight first an illusion thinking it a summon, and then a summon thinking it an illusion." He then examines the wand to make sure he is familiar enough to use it at a moment's notice, then hunts about for a place to put it, finally settling on modifying a pocket a little so it is suited for the wand.

lawful_evil
2007-04-25, 05:38 AM
Carter

Seeing the group approach this pass Carter thinks, I'm sure glad we are not going in there. Talk about an obvious trap.

Stuck in the back, Carter keeps looking over his shoulders to make sure no one is sneaking up behind us.

After the group enters the 'V'... I've got a bad feeling about this.. Carter continues to watch the rear, ready to sprint out of the V should the hammer drop.

WarBrute
2007-04-25, 06:26 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok accepts the feather a holds it softly in his hand. He silently nods in thanks again and mounts Ulgard and leads the way up to the pass. Then stops looking back towards Nalik.

anIceFan
2007-04-26, 11:40 AM
Nalik

Before entering the pass Nalik calls for the group to stop. As the group gatherers together, he turns to Ziran.

This is probably needless, but can you project an illusion of the group 20 paces ahead of the rest of us. This pass looks like too much of an opportunity for an ambush. You can trail after Sarrok.

new marching order
Sarrok, Ziran, Deladus, Kruhljack,Hertz,Oliana, Nalik,anvil catcher,carter

raspberrybadger
2007-04-26, 04:21 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran summons up an illusion of the party, right amongst the real party, but does not move it yet, saying "If there are people watching us now, won't they reallize that we're sending in the illusion ahead of us? Should we leave the illusion here and have us go in, or should we just risk them ignoring the illusion?"

Ziran says this with the conviction that there is an ambush up ahead. If not exactly at this juncture, somewhere up ahead.

dauphinous
2007-04-27, 07:56 AM
Ziran creates his illusionary doubles of the group and marches them silently ahead. They reach the bend in the pass, about 90 feet away, completely unmolested.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-27, 08:20 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak watches the illusionary squad march forth. He scratches his nose when nothing occurs.

"Shall we proceed, then?" he asks Nalik.

anIceFan
2007-04-27, 12:16 PM
Nalik

Ok, lets move forward. Everyone keep your eyes peeled. Be ready for anything.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-27, 01:14 PM
Deladus

"This is either really good, or really bad..." Deladus comments quietly, before following Nalik's orders.

lawful_evil
2007-04-27, 03:24 PM
Carter

Watching the illusions walk the walk without any harm Carter figures he can too. All the same he checks behind himself to make sure they aren't being followed or watched.

oliana0
2007-04-27, 03:39 PM
Oliana

Oliana walks along amazed at the carving work of the people that came before her. "Do you think this is Dwarven work?" She asks as she reaches out to the stone at her side.

WarBrute
2007-04-27, 06:03 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Before the rest of the party turns the coner Sarrok slides quietly off Ulfgard's back and pulls out his crossbow. He walks hunched over and small to the coner and attempts to peer around it while keeping his head as exposed as possible.

Hide Check (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1006436)
Move Silently (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1006441)

raspberrybadger
2007-04-27, 06:52 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran laughs nervously and says "I'd be feeling a lot better right now if we'd done it my way, but I guess we get to find out if we've just outsmarted ourselves"

He then moves his mount forward in formation.

dauphinous
2007-04-27, 09:17 PM
Sarrok gets about 10 feet from the bend in the pass when Ulfgard stumbles, nearly tripping over something. He makes a little yip of surprise, but otherwise seems fine.

Annalia
2007-04-27, 10:42 PM
Hertz

Hertz follows everyone in the pass, looking around somewhat nervously. When he sees Ulfgard trip, he has the reflex to move forward but controls himself and stays in line. The hand holding Ampere's reins whitens and he stares ahead with worry.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-28, 01:48 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

The man atop the sorrel mare proceeds at expected pace, appearing wary but otherwise far less full of dread at the approach of the pass's bend.

He glances down at the dog when it inadvertently clips what is probably a stone, but offers no reaction beyond that.

dauphinous
2007-04-28, 08:37 PM
Sarrok peers around the corner to find that the pass widens a bit, but not much. Two people could walk side by side through this part, but those riding mounts still need to go in single file. He sees something moving away, farther through the pass, but whatever it may be, it is very small and moving very fast. It is certainly no larger than Sarrok's fist. The pass makes another bend perhaps 100 feet away, this time the other way.

The sides of the pass are impossibly smooth. There are no apparent tool marks or variations in textures. The stone is cool to the touch.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-28, 11:28 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Keeping a watchful eye on Sarrok, Kruhljak throws intermittent half-lidded glances at the opposing walls, noting more and more their unusual nature. He had no knowledge of masonry or, of course, what the dwarves called stonecunning, but there was definitely a purpose to these--something either sliced through in the past and its a simple, if rather remarkable anomaly, or it was created for a purpose. And one purpose that seemed all too clear was that no one would be scaling these walls.

An old recollection formed in his mind of a story an old commander once told his squad about a pincer maneuver used to superb effect by one of his own old contingents. In the right terrain--a narrow ravine, in this case--and with time to prepare, a pair of siege engines fitted with wide metal plates akin to giant shields were brought to bear on either end, forcing the enemy, who had been lured into the narrow, nearly straight-walled path, to clump and be decimated with ease by archers and simple fire and oil. It conjured quite an impressive image at the time.

At this moment, though, the image seemed too recognizable. These walls were several magnitudes beyond, but the concept...even if only to trap rather than crush....

Kruhljak, turns his head and shoulders to look behind, waving a gloved hand at Nalik, motioning him to file forward. Mounted and needing to be quiet, the fighter could hardly avoid breaching military rank etiquette. Ironically, he hoped it would be for no valid reason, but it would be dereliction if he failed to voice his mind only because the concept seemed outside likelihood.

Annalia
2007-04-28, 11:53 PM
Hertz

As they walked through the pass, Hertz came to watch the smooth walls with more and more interest - and worry. Nothing would climb up or down without magical help, and he was wondering how such a perfectly smooth wall had been created. If magic was at hand, it had probably be very powerful. Hertz brushed his hand on the wall with a frown, his curiosity for the wall growing with every second. I wish we could stay and study those walls.

anIceFan
2007-04-29, 02:37 PM
Nalik

Nalik nearly jumps as Sarroks dog trips while moving through the pass. He is on edge certain that the hammer will soon meat the anvil.

At a sign from Kruhljack, He climbs down from Whiteboots and moves forward. As he reaches Oliana, he hands her the reigns,

Lead him a moment please. I believe you will find him quite placid.

Reaching the warier he looks up to him.
Why don't you come down and walk, so that we can talk.

I don't suppose Nalik's Dwarfiness can tell him something about the rock

oliana0
2007-04-29, 04:09 PM
Oliana

"Uh. Sure." Oliana replies hesitantly; her seemingly peaceful walk is now terribly scary. She holds the reigns and tries to think of how to avoid getting squished between the horse and the solid walls.

WarBrute
2007-04-29, 04:24 PM
Sarrok Balderk

A sharp intake of breath could be heard as Sarrok tilts his head around the conner. A million thoughts go through his mind as he whatches the small thing run along the pass. I must chase it, kill it, but what if it is nothing just a frighten creture. Making that kind of noise my alert hostiles. But what if that thing is a messanger, then they already would know we are here. Best to take a shot. No, I can't hit something that small from here. A waste of a bolt. He stood there hesitating before saying, "There something small" He whispered. His voice was hoarse for lasck of use."Maybe a lizard or a small rat running fast, too fast, down the pass heading for the next bend" He looked back at the rest of the party.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-29, 11:47 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods down to Nalik, realizing now that remaining mounted while talking to a superior so far below him might not only make it more difficult to remain quiet, but also push the bounds of official decorum.

As he is about to dismount, Sarrok's whispered warning carries through the sheer pass back to the group. Kruhljak cancels his plan and, instead, looks down to Nalik and imparts the rudiments of his concerns.

"I wished to suggest we have one of us examine these walls and also where they meet the ground, as well as the entrance to the pass itself to see if there are any signs that the walls may be capable of moving. I realize it is an odd suggestion, but I have seen something...similar, and this pass is clearly not natural."

He didn't know, of course, if that last statement was true, but it seemed otherwise remote.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-30, 12:07 AM
Deladus

Nodding in agreement with Kruhljak, Deladus scans the visible area, looking at the top of the ravine and over where the little flurry of movement was before. A rat might be a bad thing... given our "war" with them.

lawful_evil
2007-04-30, 05:41 AM
Carter

Carter keeps up the rear. When the dog trips he smiles and shakes his head. At least it isn't just me. I'll have to keep an eye out for whatever tripped the dog.

Still watching the rear, Carter also scans the ground before stepping so he doesn't trip over the same thing.

anIceFan
2007-04-30, 11:15 AM
Nalik

Nalik looks to Kruhljack with a bit of a stunned look on his face. He then looks at the walls of the canyon.

I don't suppose they would build the walls sloped in that case. I am more concerned that what sarrok saw will alert someone to our presence. We will check oot the walls just in case.
a little louder, just enough to be heard by sarrok
hold for a moment.

Nalik wll bend down and check the base of each wall. He will dig a small pit to ensure that both walls continue into the ground. He will also examine the walls themselves.

dauphinous
2007-04-30, 12:33 PM
Trying to dig with what you have on hand reveals that only a couple of inches of the ground are actually dirt. The walls of the pass form a squared "U" shape, but sediment seems to have collected in the bottom, giving the appearance that the walls might continue below.

Nalik is unable to discover any additional clues as to what process may have rendered the walls of the pass into this state.

anIceFan
2007-04-30, 03:21 PM
Nalik

Looks back up to Kruhljack;
These walls don't look like they have been moved for eons.

Since he is down, and they have stopped, Nalik will examine the ground to try and see what tripped the dog.

[roll=search]1d20+0[/search]

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-30, 03:32 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

He should have been entirely relieved at Nalik's assessment, and he would be if not for the fact that the nature of this area remained inscrutable. There had to be a reason for their strange...design. It still smelled of a trap, but on a scale far larger than needed for a small troupe like this. Perhaps a relic of long ago when vast armies were on the move. No, even that wouldn't make sense as the pass was too narrow to be useful in trapping large numbers at the same time.

"Hmmm...."

Having no luck with further suspicions, and as long as the walls at the head of the pass don't suddenly close, there was little to do but wait for instructions.

He turns his attention to Sarrok.

anIceFan
2007-04-30, 03:32 PM
Nalik

Who's player is a moron and messed up the syntax. No wonder I don't do much programming anymore.
[roll0]

oliana0
2007-04-30, 07:17 PM
Oliana

Half-heartedly listening to the conversation about the formation of the walls around them--the other half of her heart is caught in her throat trying to dodge the horse's hooves--Oliana glances around her and tries to remember anything she may know about the history of the area that may explain this stone feature.

[roll0] for any historical information that may have caused a huge divot in the mountain. Glaciers, wars, dragons (ooo! dragons!), myths, etc.

WarBrute
2007-04-30, 09:37 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok looks frustrated as he watches Nalik shearch the walls, his mind still on the small animal. He sighs and walks over towards were they were searching. "Look if you are going to look for something life thearting at least do it right."

Search check (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1013633)

dauphinous
2007-05-01, 03:45 PM
Sarrok notices a very thin, low tripwire that Ulfgard probably tripped over. It's actual purpose is a mystery, though, as it seems to just be fastened to the rock on both sides with no apparent way for it to trigger anything.

oliana0
2007-05-01, 03:53 PM
Oliana

"Ooo. I wonder if this is one of the passways of Orfelsk? I thought all of them had be sealed up since the wars." Oliana talks to herself as she dodges a hoof.

Annalia
2007-05-01, 04:58 PM
Hertz

Hertz, who is walking right before Oliana, turns his head back slightly. "Passways of Orfelsk? What are they?" he asks with mild curiosity, his attention still mostly focused on Sarrok, Nalik and Kruhljak ahead.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-01, 05:11 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pipes up and says "Don't we have somewhere to be? Interesting as this is, if it's not an immediate threat, can we move on?"

WarBrute
2007-05-01, 05:32 PM
Sarrok Balderk
"Yeah see hear. He pinches th wire between his forefinger and thumb. I can't quite tell what it does but if I were to guess it would be an alarm system of some sort. But its odd, I can'tfind any kind of tigger system.He frowns down at it a a few seconds. "I'll keep my eyes out for any more along the pass He turns and continues slowy down the pass.

[URL=http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1015165]Search Check[/color]

oliana0
2007-05-01, 08:31 PM
Oliana

Oliana is amazed that someone could be interested in history, and more amazed that she gets to live it and starts blathering on like a wizened old wizard as the travel along the pass. "Oh, don't you know? During the War he was an Orcish wizard on the other side that opened up the mountains to allow raiding parties to pass towards Highgate. The passages were supposed to be blocked up. Either this was missed or, well, perhaps it was opened up again. Well, it's good to know that it will be used for us to get them. Ha ha!" Oliana continues to ponder it, giggling a bit at the fact that she gets to see such a historical site.

Oliana snaps back into real life when she nearly puts her foot under the horse's hoof, "Woah, hey, there, now. No stepping on my feet, horse."

Annalia
2007-05-01, 09:47 PM
Hertz

The monk chuckles at Oliana's enthusiasm. "No, I had never heard of those passes." He slides his hand softly on the wall. "If you want, I can lead Whiteboots. You look nervous about it. I already have Ampere to take care of anyway."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-01, 10:25 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Sarrok's pointing out the presence of a tripline causes Kruhljak's ears to involuntarily shut out the chatter regarding the historical significance of the pass.

"Sir," he says to Nalik. "That line and Sarrok's creature running off smells strongly of a warning signal and given the cramped nature of this pass, I am very inclined to think this is, indeed, a trap. I strongly suggest we back out and consider an alternative approach. If we are caught in here, we will be at a decided disadvantage. This is a classic maneuver in the works, and we don't want to be the victims of it."

He's taken a tight hold of his reins, and is already glancing at the space, gauging whether he can wheel Cinnamon properly. It would require rearing, at least, and may not be possible at all. She's trained to step backwards, but it is awkward under these circumstances, and slower than he'd like.

anIceFan
2007-05-03, 12:42 PM
Nalik

Regardless of whether we can see how, we should assume that they know someone is coming through this pass. I am not interested in walking straight into an ambush. Narf but I wish we had that mini dragon around.

Lets try and make our way back oot of this ravine. we can regroup and decide on our next course of action.

Nalik goes back to retrieve the reins of Whiteboots from Hertz. He will then try and either turn the pony, or nudge him backwards.

Do we need a handle animal check for this? If we do, I hope someone has some ranks, because Nalik will be a blank.

dauphinous
2007-05-03, 01:08 PM
The horses have to be backed out, but the pony can be maneuvered around to walk out. It is a neither quick nor quiet process, but you all make it back to the mouth of the pass without further incident. It is now a little after noon.

oliana0
2007-05-03, 02:00 PM
Oliana

"I'm sorry, but re-group? Decide? It's still early in the day, we're in good health, and they went that-a-way. This pass was created as that, a pass. It will be fastest, easiest way to get from the Highgate side of the Mountains to the other side. Our only other option is to climb the mountain, which will be slow, and pretty much impossible with all of these beasts. If something is laying in wait, they aren't going to get bored any faster than we will. If a trap is set, at least we are aware that something may happen and stay on our toes. We cannot let Levexisk down. I..." Oliana sighs.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-03, 02:16 PM
Deladus

"As uncomfortable as that pass makes me, I agree with Oliana on this one. We know they went through there and trying to go around or finding another pass could take days. As for scaling the walls... just look at them. Flat as can be."

WarBrute
2007-05-03, 05:52 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok runs his hand through his hair and looks down the pass. "Im sorry sir but I have to agree with Oliana. The longer it takes to get pass these moutains the futher the our prey can escape us. Let it be orcs or the remaining defenders."

Annalia
2007-05-03, 06:05 PM
Hertz

"They likely know the surrounding terrain better than us too. Which means that if there are other usable passes, they may very well be trapped too."

lawful_evil
2007-05-03, 06:38 PM
Carter

Back out in the open, Carter takes a moment to sit down and lean against a random rock. Taking deep deliberate breathes Carter smiles slightly and enjoys the warmth of the sun on his face.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-03, 06:40 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak becomes rather frustrated at the indecision amongst a group that has a designated commander.

"If all of you are keen on trotting through the pass, why did you not tell your superior while we were there, rather than go through all this to remove ourselves first?" He shakes his head before turning to Nalik.

"Sir, I will not apologize for my sense of caution, as I feel the success of our mission, this or any other, is of interest to each of us as an individual as well as a team. However, you are the commanding officer and your call is rule. I would ask that we first, at least, ascertain whether any of us have any knowledge whatsoever on this pass. If it has existed for some time, there must be some record of it. If it is simply an unusual natural phenomenon, then we have little to worry about beyond what our quarry has in store. In addition, we should already have information on the terrain in this area--extremely good information, at that. We are not far from Highgate, and we must have access to detailed maps of this nearby region, at the very least. Perhaps we can use the comm to gain that information if it isn't already languishing in one of our packs? If we go in intentionally ignoring all of the possibilities and we are trapped, it will not serve any purpose but theirs."

At this point, Kruhljak appears to have little compunction about letting his concerns be heard by all. Low voices and whispers seem to be a thing of the past.

anIceFan
2007-05-03, 07:03 PM
Nalik

Not quite shouting, but not in a nice voice.
ENOUGH!

I have no intention of marching this group directly into a trap. We know that the ravine has triggers, and that Sarrok's dog has activated one. The object that Sarrok saw would be too much for me to call coincidence.

I will take one volunteer to go through the pass, remaining unseen, to determine if we can reasonably make it through.

Annalia
2007-05-03, 08:21 PM
Hertz

"Oliana has some knowledge of the passes, but it does not affect our situation. Ziran, you cannot control illusions if you cannot see them, right?" he asks calmly, seemingly not bothered by Krulhjak's outburst at all. No one was keen on walking back in that pass and directly into the trap.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-04, 12:52 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies "I don't have to be able to see, but I can't cast an illusion straight through a stone wall. I'll volunteer to go along, if it will get us going. I can use one of those scrolls I picked up to give myself some temporary armor, and I'll be as hard to hurt as our metal wearing folk. And, if orcs come near us, well, you saw what happened last time orcs tried to get near me. We'd have Alian along too, and he's a bat so he can see hidden things pretty well, if there is an ambush. I really don't know how he does it, but he can see better than I can, and if something is close he can even see right through bushes."

lawful_evil
2007-05-04, 08:07 PM
Carter

Startled out of his happy place of warm sunshine and butterflies, Carter frowns visibly at Nalik.

anIceFan
2007-05-04, 11:30 PM
Nalik

Only one volunteer? Then I will appoint someone to accompany Ziran. Elis, you can move well. You and Ziran make your way through the pass and see what is on the other side. Try not to be seen, and by all means do not engage the enemy.

oliana0
2007-05-05, 10:45 AM
Oliana

"I'll go."

lawful_evil
2007-05-06, 01:33 PM
Carter

Ah yes, or course she volunteers to save her boyfriend, or to go along with him. Maybe if we all volunteer we can go as one large group.

Carter shrugs his shoulders, stands up and says, "Well, if you need volunteers you got them. Just let me know what you want me to do. um, ah, sir." Carter gets a little red in the face and smiles sheepishly.

Baah. After we get attacked I wonder if anyone will volunteer to come rescue us.

anIceFan
2007-05-06, 01:55 PM
Nalik

Two is what we will send. Ziran and Elis can move fast enough without being seen to get in there and get back out.

oliana0
2007-05-06, 02:36 PM
Oliana

Oliana shrugs and sits down. She pulls out her spellbook and beins to study.

WarBrute
2007-05-06, 04:32 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok had been staring up the pass for the majority of the conversation but is brought back when he says Ziran and Elis will be the two to scout a head. "I am sorry for not speaking sooner, Nalik but If there are any more traps... I think I would be the best suited to look for them."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-06, 09:22 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak swats away a botfly the size of his thumb from Cinnamon's neck, eliciting a snort and a scuffing of the ground from the animal.

The pair seem somehow impatient, though the rider says nothing, allowing the tasks to be delegated to the proper members without comment.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-07, 01:06 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran laughs "Well, if we have Ellis with us, I can take my warpony in and not decrease our stealth. That way my short legs won't slow us down. I won't engage unless I need to clear some running room because there are orcs right on top of me. Lets get this over with. We can have Ellis in front with a bow, and I'll cover him with magic if it comes to it."

With that, he takes Alian (his fruitbat) out and perches him on his shoulder, gets his wand in his hand, and moves his mount behind Ellis, ready to move.

dauphinous
2007-05-07, 06:08 AM
Elis grins at Ziran, then pulls his bow and nocks an arrow. He jogs up nonchalantly to about 20 feet shy of the bend, then slows to a careful walk.

{Taken to PM. The rest of you may carry on.}

lawful_evil
2007-05-08, 04:36 PM
Carter

Back to sitting, relaxing and enjoying the day, Carter realizes something. "Say, if this really is a pass through the mountains, should we report this to Highgate Command so they can send troops to secure it?"

After cracking his neck, Carter adds, "I thought Highgate was so significant, strategically, because it sat on the only pass through the mountains."

anIceFan
2007-05-10, 02:10 AM
Nalik

Nalik looks at Carter for a moment.
I was hoping to have more information before I contacted Highgate command with this. But you are right, if things go badly for us, we need to make sure the city is aware that there is a easily passable route through the mountains.

Nalik then pulls out the comm device.

Bunnyslipperes

dauphinous
2007-05-10, 07:11 AM
The voice that answers sounds like the same man as before. "Report."

anIceFan
2007-05-10, 09:45 AM
Nalik

Yes Sir. We are now approcimately 4 hours march north of our base camp. We have found a pass through the mountains that appears to be easily passable. Two of our members are exploring the pass right now. We have found evidence of a trap or alert system in the pass. I just wanted to make command aware of this new situation, just in case things turn bad for us.

dauphinous
2007-05-10, 11:01 AM
"'Easily passable'?" There are notes of both skepticism and alarm in the voice. "Four hours north of the base camp would put it..." he trails off, and his tone and tempo suggest he is stalling a little. "How big?"

About this time, Carter, Nalik, and Deladus can all hear fast moving hoofbeats coming from the pass, apparently echoing down it.

anIceFan
2007-05-10, 11:19 AM
Nalik

Just as Nalik is about to respond, he is distracted by the sounds of rushing hoofbeats.

Prepare, to arms. Something is coming through the pass. Get into formation.
Carter, Kruhljack, Deladus, to the front. Lets use this ass as a choke point. But be prepared to let Elis and Sarrok pass.

Nalik then takes a position behind the fighters. Initially he will have his hammer and shield prepared for a fight.

oliana0
2007-05-10, 12:00 PM
Oliana

"Nalik, hand it to me." Oliana reaches for the device as Nalik takes charge of the situation.

If he hands it over and there is time, "This is Oliana Ligat, our scouts are returning quickly, which may show signs of an enemy approaching or other danger. The pass is between 5' and 10' wide at the base, but the sides open up as they get higher. It might be a passage of Orfelsk."

As Oliana speaks, she moves away from the pass, and draws the magic missle wand.

Annalia
2007-05-10, 12:21 PM
Hertz

Not being ordered to front, Hertz stays five feet behind the three front-liners, placing himself between them and Oliana. If those were enemies coming, the more people between them, Oliana and the comm, the better.

anIceFan
2007-05-10, 12:33 PM
Nalik

Nalik will pass the comm to Oliana.
I know you are not that comfortable on horses, but if things start to fall apart, you get on one and get oot of here as fast as you can. I want to be able to get Command back to this spot.

lawful_evil
2007-05-10, 04:25 PM
Carter

Carter stands up, readies his flail and steps to the left side of the pass so that he might attack anyone exiting.

Carter peeks around the corner to look into the pass so he can anticipate whatever is coming.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-11, 01:47 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Before Ziran has even exited the pass, he calls ahead "Elis died, they have lots of hidden archers. They were waiting. Dunno if they come now."

Whenever Ziran arrives, he places himself in the front rank of whatever defensive formation is being drawn up by the defenders, but on the far left, ideally so that he is not directly in front of the pass. Externally, he uses his charisma to project confidence in his sorcerous power to drop rank after rank of whatever enemies come through the gap. Inwardly, he's still cringing at the kind of firepower that can put that many arrows in the air at once, and thats just the ones that were on target. And his most deadly magic is barely longer in range than a good pike. He came all too close to being a target for a volley like that, and he wants to come no closer.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-11, 12:10 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Snapping into the moment, Kruhljak draws Cinnamon up, front and center. It was as he suspected: a trap.

A battery of archers in a narrow pass created an efficient killing field; they would have to be neutralized to avoid a stalemate, as bypassing them seemed unlikely at best.

He gritted his teeth at the news of Elis' death, and the realization of the brief life he'd predicted. Now it was time to receive the full accounting of the situation, and Kruhljak simply stood his ground upon Cinnamon and watched the mouth of the pass despite no expectation of pursuers.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-11, 12:50 PM
Deladus

The warrior follow's Nalik's orders, quickly getting in position to block the pass. Upon news of Elis' demise, he frowns in momentary sadness, but otherwise starts to scan the top of the pass for any sign of the mentioned archers, holding up his shield.

anIceFan
2007-05-11, 12:59 PM
Nalik

Oliana, report that to command.

Nalik steps up behind Kruhljack to offer him some divine protection. He pulls a piece of parchment and offers a prayer to Thor. All 3 fighters (Kruljack, Deladus, and Carter) feel a slight tingle as they gain Thor's defenses.

Ziran, get back behind the fighters.

Trading a turn undead to cause Shield of faith to cover up to 3 characters within 10 ft. +2 deflection bonus to AC

dauphinous
2007-05-11, 01:12 PM
You all tense and wait for anyone that might have pursued Ziran. And wait. And wait. The pass is empty, and there seems to be no one and nothing coming charging out to catch him.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-11, 01:38 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran reluctantly obeys orders, getting behind the fighters, saying "If they come through the pass in any serious numbers, I'll need to be in front somehow, like I was with the orcs, and the rats. I'm using magic to give me temporary armor, and orcs with axes and the like I can scythe down with color magic before they get to me."

When nothing comes charging out of the pass, Ziran inwardly breathes a sigh of relief - he isn't as confident in his indestructability as he sounds. He likes even less the notion of being the ones trapped coming out of a narrow pass into arrow fire though.

oliana0
2007-05-11, 02:28 PM
Oliana

The blood drains from Oliana's face as words lock up in her throat. Nalik's words snap her back to reality.

Oliana's voice is low when she speaks into the comm again, "Elisathalan has fallen. Archers in the pass."

I have a note to his mother somewhere, right?

lawful_evil
2007-05-11, 02:30 PM
Carter

Looking around and not seeing many options, Carter voices his opinion, "If I were them, I'd send a small force of archers around to our flank to drive us into the 'pass' so the main force can destroy us. I suggest we get out of here before that happens. Maybe we can find another way up. Perhaps come back and take them by surprise instead of just pressing forward against an obviously superior force."

Carter looks around for support and then shrugs his shoulders and adds, "Just an idea, you know, the whole live to fight another day thing." With that he hefts his mighty flail and awaits further orders.

anIceFan
2007-05-11, 04:40 PM
Nalik

Looks around at his dis-heartened crew.
It would be senseless for us to stay here. Lets retreat back to base so that we can lick our wounds, and morn Elis as he deserves.

he walks over to Oliana and placing a hand on her shoulder (gently) retrieves the comm device from her.

He speaks into the device with a somber tone.
One of our number has fallen. We are returning to our base of operations to regroup. We will contact you later with any more information we can provide. Stormbrow oot.

He then gathers Whiteboots and turning towards base gives his orders
Kruhljack and Carter take the rear, Deladus, you are on point. Ziran, you take a place in front of the rearguard so that you can help slow down any attackers. The rest of us will fill in between.

Lets move

Annalia
2007-05-11, 05:28 PM
Hertz

Hertz falls in the line in silence, looking back into the pass with frustration. We're leaving Elis' body there... we can't even give him a proper burial. With a shake of his head, he starts walking back home. I don't see how going back to camp will change our situation. We'll need to find another way through the mountains, and Astryn's trail will have grown cold.

lawful_evil
2007-05-11, 06:50 PM
Carter

Carter falls into line at the rear of the column just behind Ziran. Carter smiles and slaps Ziran on the shoulder and says, "Hey Zealan, I feel safe now that you're here to 'hold off' our foes."

After a bit of 'humor', Carter readies his weapon and tries to stay loose while keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-11, 08:06 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak wheels Cinnamon, tearing his gaze from the pass, to address Nalik.

"Sir, this was a long, arduous trip to this spot, even from the lizard's location. Can we not make camp somewhere nearby, instead?" he asks with a hint of surprise in his voice.

He moves his horse closer, and dismounts, looping the reins over the rudimentary saddle horn.

"Carter mentioned a concern about archers flanking us, which, if I may say so, is invalid. Consider the situation as it stands now. We have archers in the pass, but they were stationed beyond the bend. It is my opinion that the wire the dog stumbled over was a triggering mechanism that sent that thing Sarrok saw earlier, along to deliver a message. Perhaps it was some sort of arcane watcher. In any case, it seems to me that thing warned our quarry and they then sent the archers into that second section of pass to ambush a further attempt to investigate the pass. Why else would Sarrok not have seen anything but the object speeding off?"

He licks his lips and continues, "I feel that we will not have to worry about archers pouring from the pass or anywhere else nearby. There is no strategic reason for Astryn or whoever is in charge of them, to send them into a less defensible position. They already benefit from a severely advantageous position and have no particular reason to follow us, so far as I can tell." He spares a glance at Ziran and adds, "And we should get a full report from Ziran, especially where the positioning of the archers is concerned. That is critical information we have not inquired about. Even if he didn't see them, the angle of the arrows will be enough for one of the experienced archers among us to calculate a likely source position."

His attention is briefly distracted by a hawk's call somewhere within or above the rocky path to the pass. Bringing himself back to the point, he completes his thought.

"I inquired about this earlier, but I think we should consider again strongly requesting information from command as to the existence of known alternative passes in this area before we decide to negotiate this pass. Without insult, I believe it may be too much to ask of one of us to climb these walls to the top." He waves a hand to indicate the facing walls that border the pass. "And it would leave them vulnerable and exposed even should they succeed."

"I feel we have incomplete information, and if there is another pass somewhere within reasonable distance, headed in the same direction, and unguarded, it could provide us with safe passage and a possibility of flanking our quarry as they will likely have assumed we gave up on pursuing them given their obvious advantage. We could even take them by surprise. But again, this is all predicated on knowing all there is to know about the geography in this nearby region--down to the important details. It is our mandate to protect this area and to investigate these orcs, and we cannot do that effectively if we allow the enemy to decide our approach. If all this comes to naught but the situation we have now, so be it. But this one decision could spell the difference between success and failure."

Despite having produced a flood of opinions, another quick lick of the lips and sip of water is enough to replenish him.

WarBrute
2007-05-12, 01:32 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok simles to see his fellow Gnome return in good health but when he hears the fate of Elis he slams his fist agianst Ulfgards saddle who lets out a disgruntled growl"Damn it!' He whispers and he hits his fist against the saddle again. "How many is that now H says to himself more than to anyone else.

When the group takes their leave Sarrok moves to his usual solitary loction about 20 feet ahead of the rest.

anIceFan
2007-05-12, 01:42 AM
Nalik

Nalik listens in stunned disbelief as Kruhljack makes his opinions knows. When the fighter finishes, the dwarf turns to him.

Think man! There is no one coming through the pass now, but can you guarantee that they are not coming. Do you set up camp in the mouth of the dragons den, just because you can not see it. At worst, there is a hord of enemies coming down this pass, at best, Astryn knows we are here. We know that he is a former Defender. Now he will know that the Defenders are back in operation. Make no mistake, he will come.

Nalik will glare at the big man for a moment.

As a group, we are battered and bruised. We might not show it on the surface, but we are not so big a group that we will not need some time to recover for the loss of a comrade. I am not giving up on getting to the other side of these mountains, but we need to regroup and I don't intend to do that sitting where my enemy expects me to be. I do not know if we will return all the way to base, but staying here serves no purpose at this time. Now everyone, prepare to move out!

not sure where Elis' horse went, but Nalik will send someone to retrieve it.

When the party reaches the area where they faught the lizard in the morning, Nalik will call a halt.

Kruhljack is right in that we should not return all the way to base, that is the other place that Astryn would expect us to be. Keep your eyes peeled for a defensible position for us to set up for the night.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-12, 01:58 AM
Deladus

Deladus takes point and remains silent during the small argument. He agrees with the commander in general and feels no need to contribute or harass.

In quiet contemplation, he will watch the surroundings as they approach the lizard's corpse, checking for scavengers or others.

dauphinous
2007-05-12, 06:52 AM
The stench in the area of the lizardy corpse has dissipated slightly, but it certainly doesn't smell pleasant. The corpse can now be approached without fear of a true nauseated response.

There are no really good and defensible positions to camp between this site and base camp. The ground is basically flat with a slope and the river cutting across it. At best, you can find a grouping of shrubs and short trees that would partially obscure your location from sight in one or two directions.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-12, 07:11 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

"No, I cannot guarantee anything. I can, however, say with conviction that if Astryn decides to come through to follow us, he will only do so if he is certain he has an overwhelming force to bear against us. Otherwise, he would be a complete fool to yield a position that grants him such an advantage; and though he is a traitor, he is not necessarily a fool. I choose not to underestimate his intelligence. Besides, if that comes to pass, you can rest assured Astryn or his minions will not be foiled by us simply moving from here to another spot within easy reach."

Kruhljak gathers the reins and mounts smoothly, losing none of his general aplomb despite being rebuked.

"I might also mention that they will likely take Elis' body and think on how to wield it against our morale. Everyone should be prepared for the worst."

The man-at-arms crisply salutes Nalik, and pulls his mount to his assigned position.

oliana0
2007-05-12, 10:06 AM
Oliana

Oliana lets Nalik take the comm back. She keep an eye on the pass ready to zap anything that comes out of it. She stays quiet and does not offer any suggestions.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-12, 11:10 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran's face does not manage to conceal his internal grumbling, though he says nothing. Instead, he thinks In front of the rearguard. I swear, the human has a new way of saying 'in the middle where it's safe' every day. I suppose I just need to get used to this, and learn some magic that can hop the heads of the fighters assigned to make a big ring around me. The wand at least can do that. Its a step up from putting a ring of illusionary beetles around our fighters.

Annalia
2007-05-12, 03:52 PM
Hertz

"Coming out of the pass would not be so foolish. Ziran said they had many archers. They have an overwhelming advantage in numbers, and if they can surround us with that many archers, we're done for." Hertz shakes his head and glances at Oliana. "If Astryn is heartless enough to use Elis' body against us, he might not put sacrificing a few more lives to come after us. Nalik is right, we're in no shape for a fight." Hertz' answer is calmed and slow. He shows obvious signs of exhaustion, and his moral is obviously quite low.

lawful_evil
2007-05-12, 05:20 PM
Carter

Walking along and listening to Hertz, Carter decides to chime in, "It would seem unlikely that whatever strange force guards the pass would have a massive number of archers just standing around in case someone walks by."

Looking up for inspiration, Carter adds, "Maybe there were only a handful of archers and a good illusion of the rest. Did Ziran check for magic before departing after Elisathalan was killed?"

anIceFan
2007-05-12, 11:03 PM
Nalik

Not seeing anyplace to hole up, but feeling that the group needs a break, Nalik points towards a copse of trees.

Lets make for that brush over there. We can regroup and decide on our next course of action.

Once there,

Ziran, please give us a full debrief of the events after you entered the ravine?

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-12, 11:46 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak smirks at Hertz as he posits Astryn's possible action. Would that you were in place of Astryn, we would have no problem.

"Archers pouring out one or two at a time from that pass? Are you serious? We could cut them down easily. It would be the most disastrous maneuver I've ever seen. For the same reason we do not want to chance just running through the pass to the other side--which appears to be possible--they would not put themselves in such jeopardy. When we next visit Highgate, I suggest you go to the grand library and request a book called The Glory of War: Creation of Tactical and Strategic Advantage by Bremel Morgin. Very informative. If you're unfamiliar with the name, suffice to say that his units were never defeated."

With that, Kruhljak resumes his scanning of the pathway, crosscrossing where possible to provide for the slow pace while allowing Cinnamon to canter as she prefers.

Once the resting spot has been decided, Kruhljak remains mounted for a while, ready to listen attentively to Ziran's full report.

Annalia
2007-05-13, 01:15 PM
Hertz

Hertz waits for Krulhjak to finish his rant calmly, seemingly listening to every word with interest. "You're the only one here who suggested they come out one at a time. I talked of surrounding us, not walking to death. You have no proof they're unable to cross the mountains by other means than this pass. We know for a fact they were able to position themselves to shoot at Ziran, which I expect wasn't done from ground-level. They likely do not have horses. Don't underestimate what they can do." His answer is slow and passive, his voice calm. The only hint of annoyance surfaces when he adds the next line. "Insults will not add value to an already perfectly respectable argument, Krulhjak."

lawful_evil
2007-05-13, 04:34 PM
Carter

Listening to Hertz, Carter smiles but keeps his mouth shut for once.

Yeah! You tell him. Ooh, never defeated.. big deal. I've never been defeated. If the tactics were that great, the military would control access to it and someone like him wouldn't have read it. Hmm.. he probably hasn't read it but just heard of it somewhere.

Walking toward the copse of trees... Keeping an eye out for rear ambush.

dauphinous
2007-05-13, 05:42 PM
The best you are able to do without getting too far away from the pass, crossing the river, or staying near the lizard corpse is a grouping of shrubs with two short trees. If you can get the horses to lie down, you should be able to generally shield yourselves from the sight of anyone coming from the pass. It is about two miles away from the pass, and the camp is a little over 7 miles from this spot.

Continuing to keep a watch over the pass, nothing is seen moving as you go or while you set up camp, apart from a few small animals.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-13, 08:08 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

"Well, we shall see, Hertz. But if these mountains were so easily traversible as to allow Astryn to send over a worrisome number of archers to harass us, then we'd have no reason to bother with the pass at all. It becomes irrelevant as a means of reaching the other side. It will not happen unless Highgate has seriously misjudged the value of the natural terrain, in which case Highgate itself is in far more threat than it thinks."

From his perch atop his sorrel, he stares down into Hertz' eyes for a moment, then catches Carter's smile as he looks on.

Instead of snapping at him, he chuckles almost silently, and turns away, heading Cinnamon toward a convenient spot to dismount.

Annalia
2007-05-13, 10:03 PM
Hertz

"Yes, we'll see. I still think caution will serve us better, and Nalik made a good decision by moving away. We had enough of our number die as is." He'll take care of Ampere and installs his bedroll as they camp, before volunteering for his usual watch turn.

anIceFan
2007-05-14, 12:09 AM
Nalik

Enough
The decision has been made. There is no reason for further discussion.

Nalik then returns his attention to Ziran for his report.

Not sure if we will be camping here. This was just a spot for us to rest while we get the report, then we will decide what to do.

D' What time is it?

raspberrybadger
2007-05-14, 12:54 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies "No, there was no time to detect for magic. The arrows that hit Elis were real. I only had time for one bit of magic, some summoned creatures as a wall in front of Elis. There were enough arrows to take down three armoured beetles, and then pierce Elis through a few times. I only had a moment's warning, because Elis just all of a sudden fired an arrow into the trees. So I thought to buy time by putting a wall of beetles between him and his target, but there were enough of the archers that I didn't manage to buy even a moment for Elis to run. I told him to run, but arrows came from straight ahead of the pass, I didn't see how many archers, but there were enough. I can use the wand and run at the same time, so I was moving as soon as I saw Elis engage. I had to catch Alian here, and then I was behind the cover of the walls. I should have projected an illusion in front of us, but by the time Elis started shooting it was too late."

At this point, Ziran completely breaks his usual confident exterior, and just hangs his head - he's clearly not quite entirely convinced by his own explanation that there was nothing he could have done.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-14, 05:11 AM
Deladus

Quietly, Deladus pats the shorter man once his explanation is done. Sometimes, things just happen too fast, he thinks to himself, but otherwise keeping his silence. Words didn't help sometimes, either. Especially when so many of the words so far had been angry.

anIceFan
2007-05-14, 12:49 PM
Nalik

Nalik listens to Ziran's account of what happened. Then he turns away.
Stupid! How could I be so stupid?
Turning back to Ziran
No fault lies with you. You were not instructed to engage, you did the right thing. I should not have sent the two of you in where we knew there would be a trap.

He thinks for a moment.
You never actually saw any archers? Did you see any creatures on the other side? Was there a continuous stream of arrows, or was it one big volley?

Is it possible that there is a trap that after the alert is fired, the next thing that comes out of the pass is a pincushion? Just exploring possibilities.

WarBrute
2007-05-14, 09:41 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok swiftly dismounts and ties Ulfgard to the nearest tree. He sits and waits as Ziran's finshes his report.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-14, 10:25 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pulls himself together as best as he can, and makes his face an impassive mask, except for narrowed eyebrows. He replies "No, mechanical traps make no sense. Elis fired on something, and there were arrows coming from like six different directions. I didn't see any archers, but I don't see Elis firing on a trap. So I'd bet there are still archers at the pass."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-15, 12:17 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak dismounts and allows Cinnamon to graze on whatever raw shoots she can find in the scrub.

He walks over to Ziran and squats down beside him. Speaking amiably to the gnome, he says, "You did well, Ziran. The situation was dangerous and such things happen when the enemy has such an advantage. It may sound hollow, but it is fortunate it was not both of you."

Kruhljak now sits down fully, stretching his legs a bit before continuing.

"Did this attack come after entering the first or the second bend? You said there were trees. If I recall, Sarrok's report when looking past the first bend indicated no trees, and in fact, that the pass only opened somewhat, but led to another, presumably, right-turn in the pass. So assuming the attack occurred entering that second bend, other than the trees, what sort of terrain did you notice? Did the pass actually exit, or was all this found inside the smooth walls the rest of us have seen?"

raspberrybadger
2007-05-15, 01:42 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran says, still a touch waveringly, his hands moving agitatedly "Yes, past another bend, though still inside the walls of the pass, but we could see the outside."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-16, 06:39 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Nodding, he addresses everyone bothering to follow the conversation. "Assuming these archers are part of Astryn's band, it seems that he's decided to make his base there at the end of that pass. He's had plenty of time to move along, but chooses to remain. That means something, but I'm not sure what. We need to determine how to gather better intelligence on his position, and especially his men. And, if possible, Astryn himself; his true plans, his motivations. Such betrayal indicates a rather large incentive."

He looks around idly for a moment, eyes not focusing on anyone or anything in particular.

"It's a shame that little dragon we encountered didn't remain with us for a while. I'll bet he would have made a perfect spy for us. That leaves us with stealth, or some sort of magic." He looks up, clearly expecting another to take up the slack.

Annalia
2007-05-16, 09:04 AM
Hertz

As Krulhjak finishes, Hertz begins to muse. He's looking somewhat in the vague. After a while, he runs a hand on his nearly bald head and looks in Nalik's direction. "We may want to consider an alliance with the rats more seriously. They still pose a threath we have not dealt with and they could be negotiated with. Not to mention I'd rather have them on my side than on Astryn's."

lawful_evil
2007-05-16, 09:11 AM
Carter

After Hertz mentions the rats, Carter mutters to himself... "Too bad about the rats, they might have known about or had secret tunnels under the mountains to the hidden valley."

Carter looks around to see if anyone is sneaking up on the group and starts humming to himself. Good things from the garden.. garden in the valley.. valley of the jolly green archers.. archers. da da da hm hmm hmm..

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-16, 02:44 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak looks disapprovingly at both Hertz and Carter, who recently seem to sharing the same mind.

"The rats are vile and treacherous and would probably leave us trapped on the other side or in one of their holes. And we haven't quite exhausted our possibilities yet."

Almost in imitation of Hertz, though with considerably more hair, Kruhljak scratches his fingers across his scalp, inhaling deeply in thought.

"Ziran...you have that bat of yours...can't you communicate with it? Could it not do an unobtrusive pass into their area and report back? I hardly think them so fearful that they would bother reacting to a mere bat flitting by, their being so common and generally harmless. And I thought you gnomes possessed some affinity for speaking with animals, even beyond your particular pet. We need information. The only other alternative for that is to send in Sarrok again, which would likely be far more dangerous, now that they're aware of us."

Annalia
2007-05-16, 03:40 PM
Hertz

"Gnomes are known to communicate well with burrowing animals. And sending Sarrok would be suicidal." Hertz shakes his head, before coming back to the rats. "While it's a fair assumption the rats are treacherous, the last Defenders managed to cohabit with them peacefully. As for vile, that has yet to be proven. They consider us as a threath to their territory. So far, they reacted as we would if orcs had settled nearby." He sighs, knowing full well he'd have a wave of protestation coming at him for his last comment but continues. "That's beside my point, however. Brain is not stupid. Astryn poses a threath to them too, and we can convince him if he helps gather information for us on him, we'd leave the rats be."

WarBrute
2007-05-16, 04:49 PM
Sarrok Balderk

I don't like you deciding whats suicidal for me, Hertz" He rests his head in one hand. "I know it is excessively dangerous, but I have been doing recon work for most of my life. Even If I were seen I would have Ulfgar near by and I could ride out swiftly. If they did not presue Ziran they may not follow me."

lawful_evil
2007-05-16, 06:13 PM
Carter

Having long ago master the disapproving glare, Carter glares right back at Pvt Wynde, but is forced to agree, adding, "I agree we are very unlikely to get any help from the rats... I was just saying it was a shame we didn't have better relations with them. It's a bit too late to make a good first impression."

After listening to Sarrok, Carter tries to get that darned tune out of his head by joining the conversation, "Sadly, Private Balderk, you may not know they've spotted you till you notice the arrow sticking out of your chest, or worse, out of Ulfgar's back. I hate to agree with Private Wynde again, but I think the pet bat is out best hope, though I would not hold it against our Private Blueboots if he was unwilling to risk his friend's life."

Carter takes a deep breathe and sighs. Poor Talboat, really, I thought you could swim. I do miss you.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-16, 10:22 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

With Sarrok and Carter staking their own claims in the conversation and effectively mirroring his own words had he spoken first, Kruhljak only adds to the sentiment.

"Didn't the rat leader indicate quite clearly that he no longer wished to allow us bipeds to sully his domain? As for Astryn and the rats, I'd be more inclined to think they are two peas in the same pod, and more likely to work together against us, than otherwise. The rats could easily give away information on us, as well as the other way around, and may do both if they thought we would engage and decimate each other. And do we really have more to offer them than Astryn? Things to consider. I'd hate to rely on such creatures even though we are admittedly thin on options."

Kruhljak sits up, with forearms on knees and glances toward the bordering crags for a moment. "I'd admit success would be improbable, but I wonder if I might not be able to scale that side there, just to discover if anything can be seen from wherever one could reach from that spot on the top."

He glances again to Ziran.

"Ziran, can your bat provide you with understandable information regarding what it sees...or detects, I suppose?"

anIceFan
2007-05-18, 02:54 PM
Nalik

once again pulling out the comm device,
Bunnyslippers

When someone comes on the other side.

Yes sir, I would like to give a more complete report of what we have found today.
We have discovered a pass through the mountains about 4 hours north of our base.
We sent two of our crew into the pass to investigate, on reaching an exit they were attacked by what appeared to be many archers, one of them was struck and has been lost.
We believe that it is likely that Astryn's base is in the forest there. Please advise.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-18, 04:31 PM
Ziran Blueboots

(if possible, before the comm report, otherwise afterwards): Ziran replies to those asking about his familiar, taking the bat out of his pocket and holding it in his hands "For one, yes, they did see a bat as a threat - look, he took some damage in there. For another, yes, I'm bound to him, but he's still a bat. Without further magic, he can't actually report on troop emplacements. Lastly, if you want to find me a badger or something to talk to, sure, I'll talk to it, but I'm no better at finding a badger that knows anything useful than you are." As he speaks, Ziran grows more and more dejected. The previous orc fight was so much more satisfying - he's a gnome, he's supposed to be good at this kind of subtlety, and orcs are supposed to be bad at it. And yet he's useless.

dauphinous
2007-05-18, 05:34 PM
The voice that answers is female. It is a clipped voice with a light elvish accent. "First. We have the pass you are referring to on our map. In a sense, anyway. It is supposed to be blocked. Second. Elisathalan is the name of the one that fell, is that correct? Third. Give more detail about the archers and their location."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-18, 09:08 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Relaxed but alert, Kruhljak can overhear the voice at the other end of the comm device.

Hmm...they do know of this pass...that answers at least some of the mystery.

anIceFan
2007-05-18, 11:04 PM
Nalik

Nalik pauses for a moment as he hears a new voice on the other end of the comm.
Yes sir, Elisathalan is the dead member of our party.
Nalik looks at Ziran for confirmation as he gives a description of the archers location
Past 2 bends in the pass, the walls begin to open up. There were at least 6 archers judging by the direction of the arrows. They were hiding in trees.
Ziran, how far would you imagine you traveled into the pass?

We can assume that when Ziran reports the distance, Nalik will relay the data to command.

dauphinous
2007-05-19, 07:08 AM
A pause. "This map does not have the full pass drawn in, just an indication of a blocked pass. I cannot give you any additional information about it. Do you have any way to scout it more fully without further loss, or does this require a specialized scout?"

oliana0
2007-05-19, 08:54 AM
Oliana

Oliana moves to Ziran and places a hand of comfort on his shoulder. She remains quiet through the conversation with HQ.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-19, 05:34 PM
Ziran takes comfort from the hand on his shoulder, and his voice takes on a neutral tone again, saying "Not very far between bends, and then ninety feet beyond the last bend. So, all told, not really any great distance."

lawful_evil
2007-05-21, 09:04 AM
Carter

Well, Nalik... answer them. We need a scout.

"Ahhchoo" as Carter sneezes.

Great, were hiding in a bush that I'm allergic to.

Carter cracks his neck and shifts uncomfortably as he waits for further direction.

anIceFan
2007-05-22, 11:59 AM
Nalik

speaking into the comm, and to the group in general.
We will retreat back to the trees where we found the orc encampment. There we will rest to allow our casters to recharge. We will then make our way back through the pass. Before making our way around the last bend, we will send an illusion, to try and draw any fire.

Nalik will then pause at this stage to see if there is any response

I am pretty much going with the plan that I laid out OOC, but waiting for the casters to recharge.
I see a couple of flaws with this plan, but Oliana, Sarrok, and Ziran have low light vision, and Nalik has darkvision. Unfortunately, so do orcs. I figure if the stuff hits the fan, We can light the area enough for the humans to see.

Oh yeah, GO DUCKS GO!

dauphinous
2007-05-22, 12:50 PM
"Very well. Good luck. Report when you have more information."

The forest in question is about 5 miles from your current location. It is currently a little over an hour past midday, and the hike will take the group about an hour and a half if those who prefer to remain on foot are willing to hustle.

oliana0
2007-05-22, 02:46 PM
Oliana

Oliana picks up her pack, it on her back, and lines up, ready for movement.

Quietly, barely a whisper, Oliana mentions something, "Oh, poor Beren. I hope that he finds good grass to enjoy."

lawful_evil
2007-05-22, 04:25 PM
Carter

His brain on autopilot, Carter stand and prepares to move out, then he remembers his fallen comrade, at which point he stutters out a question, "W-w-wait a sec. We're just going to leave Elisathalan there? Can't we at least go us to the second bend and use a rope or grappling hook or something to pull him out of harm's way?"

Looking around to the other for support Carter continues, "I don't think we should just leave him there, no telling what abominations the orcs will do to him."

anIceFan
2007-05-22, 05:06 PM
Nalik

Nalik looks at Carter as he mentions recovering Elis' body.
There are two reasons that we are retreating at this point. The guard that is on that pass will be on high alert right now. It is possible that they have pushed out to examine the crevice. In which case, Elis body will already be gone. Also, if Astryn sees the body, he will surely recognize the Defenders armband. At that point, he could send a band to our base, to attempt to knock us out. By retreating to the trees instead of our base, we can throw off any trackers. Hopefully they will think that we have returned to Highgate. So no Carter, as much as it pains me, we will not be returning for our fallen comrade at this time.

Once everyone is done preparing, he will move out towards the forest.

I say we hustle, but then Nalik is mounted

Holocron Coder
2007-05-22, 06:48 PM
Deladus

Shouldering his pack in a more satisfactory manner, Deladus nods and heads out to the encampment. Sleep would be nice... It's been a draining day, despite not having seen much combat.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-22, 07:42 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran nods as well, pulling himself in line, and saying grimly in a very soft voice, not intended to intrude into the conversation: "We'll just have to recover the body from Astryn the hard way then, which means waiting and doing this the right way."

Annalia
2007-05-22, 08:45 PM
Hertz

Hertz nods solemly and gathers his things, making ready to move back to where the orc encampment was. The orc encampment... it seemed so long before now. With a shake of his head, he packs all the food, tents and supply that Ampere can carry easily on the horse before packing his own share.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-23, 07:09 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Mounted now, for the last several minutes, Kruhljak has been keeping Cinnamon moving slowly in a tight circle to keep her legs active while the rest break camp.

As the group begins to move, he falls into his usual slot, taking a zig-zagging path so at to take periodic glances back the way they came without having to break position.

dauphinous
2007-05-23, 08:13 PM
It is mid-afternoon by the time you reach the small forest again. Although the place has been picked over by scavengers, including yourselves, it is still quite obvious where the orcs had their camp. The smell of unwashed orc still lingers in a few places, and small bits of detritus still hang in shrubs and trees here and there. Though the ground of old campsite has only bare dirt, the grasses are still plentiful along the edges and around the forest, so there is plenty for the horses and ponies to snack on.

The void in the grass left by the fresh graves not far away is obvious from a fair distance away.

Hertz and Sarrok:Something white and quite small, possibly the size of a cat or maybe even smaller, moves very fast through the grass near the graves, going towards the river. It disappears at the riverbank. You see this as the group enters the wood.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-23, 08:55 PM
Deladus

Deladus wrinkles his nose at the still-pungent smell. Carefully, he picks his way around the camp, pushing any litter outside of the clearing. He didn't want to fall asleep on an arrowhead, after all.

"Not to undermine our great leader," Deladus begins, grinning at Nalik, "but why are we camping here tonight with this lovely odor?"

Annalia
2007-05-23, 09:35 PM
Hertz

As he looks upon the graves, Hertz frowns heavily. "Shh, Deladus!" he says, hearing his comrade talk. "Sir, there was something near the grave. It hid as we arrived. he continues in a low voice. "Quick, white and small - no bigger than a cat, that's sure. I doubt it's any threath, but we should check on before establishing camp."

WarBrute
2007-05-23, 11:30 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"I saw it too, Hertz. It was simerlar to the animal that I saw in the pass...I do not feel good about this. They could have set a trap near the camp. Or they could be waiting to ambush us.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-24, 01:45 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Drawing his mount to the side of the camp where the greenest grass had managed to grow despite the befouling presence of orc not so long ago, the rider overhears Hertz' warning.

Cinnamon would graze later. The pair walk the few yards to join the others.

"My guess is that is their monitoring device, whether it be magical or some odd creature. Clearly, we can't leave it unchallenged," he says, first to the small group nearby, but regarding Nalik directly with the last words.

anIceFan
2007-05-24, 12:30 PM
Nalik

Nalik feels a sense of dread overcome him as Hertz and Sarrok report seeing something near the grave site.
Did you see which direction it went? You You three go check it out, see what you can find. But be careful.
He is looking at Hertz, Sarrok, and Kruhljack as he says this last bit.

Once done he turns to regard Deladus.
I know this place is unpleasant, but Astryn knows where our base is, and he has no reason to imagine that we would come here.

to the group

Deladus Carter and I should try and get an area cleared as best we can. I want Ziran and Oliana to rest as much as they can. As soon as they feel that they are up to full strength, we are heading back through that pass.

Annalia
2007-05-24, 01:10 PM
Hertz

"It was heading for the riverbank." Hertz answers, before taking a javelin out. "We either should check as a triangle, or try to surround that thing. If it knew how to swim, though, it probably already escaped."

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-25, 06:08 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods and presses on Cinnamon's flanks to signal he wants speed. "It is fast, so I will try to find and chase it down. Spread and follow at least to the riverbank. If I continue at a gallop, you'll know I've found it and am on its tail. I won't follow more than a half mile or so if it keeps ahead of me."

Cinnamon's haunches bunch and launch her and Kruhljak ahead and into a full gallop in short order. The rider's trusty flail is held out to the side, and the spiked balls bounce in rhythm to the hoofbeats.

spot check : 1d20+0 = 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2643958&postcount=93)

lawful_evil
2007-05-25, 05:08 PM
Carter

As Carter approachs the site, his shoulders slump and he sighs. Uh, back here again.

Nalik : "...Deladus Carter and I should try and get an area cleared as best we can..."

Carter draws his weapon and says to Deladus, "Time to clear the area, okay, lets do a security sweep. You take the left flank, I'll take the right. Nalik can be in the middle. What do you think, a counter clockwise spiral?"

Carter cracks his neck and starts slowly checking the bushes and tree for foes or anything else that might cause the group trouble.

anIceFan
2007-05-25, 06:12 PM
Nalik

As Carter and Deladus begin their sweep, Nalik begins to insure that there is a clear space for everyone to relax.

dauphinous
2007-05-25, 08:06 PM
Kruhljak, Hertz, Sarrok

In the lead, Kruhljak looks around for whatever Hertz and Sarrok saw. He makes it all the way to the river without seeing anything out of place. Peering over the bank, he can see nothing special.

Hertz:Following behind, he happens to pass by the graves and notices some odd markings in the freshly turned earth. They are odd in that they kind of look like tiny foot prints, but also have a quality suggestive of script characters.
Sarrok:he happens to notice a slight rumble under his feet as a pair of pincers, each about a half foot long, plunge up through the ground and chomp onto his leg. Though it causes little damage, the pincers are gripped tightly around his ankle. Little else can be seen of whatever is attached to the pincers, but they themselves are the same dark brown of the dirt and serrated along one edge while smooth along the other. {2 damage and one foot is essentially stuck}

In the wood

Carter:As he gets to the southern edge of the forest, something falls onto his head form above. He feels a sharp pain from the back of his neck. {1 damage and a Fort save.}
Deladus:As he gets to the western edge of the forest, Deladus steps on something unusually squishy and finds himself lying on his stomach with some sort of yellow dust blowing in his face. {prone and a Fort save}
Nalik, Ziran, and Oliana go about the task of clearing away errant debris and setting up a basic camp.

WarBrute
2007-05-25, 11:34 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok lets out a yell and pulls his sword out and begans to hack at the pincers grabing his leg.

Attack Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1067955)
damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1067958)

Annalia
2007-05-26, 12:36 AM
Hertz

His scholar side taking over, Hertz approaches the graves with curiosity. He bends to examine it more closely and was about to mention it to the others when Sarrok cries out. Letting out a curse, he runs over to his companion to see what's happening.

lawful_evil
2007-05-26, 05:55 AM
Carter

Slowly walking the perimeter to make sure everything is safe, Carter is surprised when he sets of some sort of trap. "Ahh! By Loki, what kind of trickery is this?"

Carter reaches around to his neck to try and either pull out the spike/dart/etc or to get whatever creature it is off him.

FortSv (1d20+4=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1068211)

Once he calms down a bit, Carter calls out to Deladus and the others, "Watch out, the area seems to be trapped."

Dang! Moving too fast. Take it slow. Be careful. Pay attention. Focus

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-27, 04:51 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Exhaling heavily, Kruhljak surveys the immediate area, seeing nothing of his intended quarry. From behind, Sarrok's voice rings out--a yell of pain rather than discovery.

Wheeling Cinnamon to an about face, Kruhljak scans the grassy field. Nothing; but judging by the direction of the yell and some simple logic, he must be there, somewhere.

Urging his mount forward, backtracking along the same path, Kruhljak gallops along, squinting in an attempt to counter some of the contrast between the greenish-brown grass and Sarrok's small form.

As he rides, he yells in Sarrok's suspected direction, "Report!" His mind was a bit too late to stall his mouth. Odds were that the besieged gnome wouldn't even notice the use of an instruction reserved for use by superior officers to their subordinates.

Finally catching sight of him, or rather, his weapon glinting as he thrashes away at something, Kruhljak angles his mount toward him, reining in the horse about 30 feet from the gnome, and making a smooth dismount just before the horse comes to a full stop. Best to keep her out of the way, just in case.

The momentum helps to carry the mail-clad fighter closer to Sarrok, but the grasses still obscure the details. His motions appear to indicate he is stuck on, to or by something.

OOCFast dismount: -4ACP applied (+9-4=+5) vs DC20 (1d20+5=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1069610)
Spot (in grass) (1d20+0=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1069611) - attempt to see what had grabbed him - nooope!

Holocron Coder
2007-05-27, 12:21 PM
Deladus

Unsure of just what exactly he had tripped over, Deladus quickly rolled to one side upon landing on the ground, before sitting up.

If it looks to be a danger, he'll quickly scoot away as he hears Nalik's words. Otherwise, he'll stand up and take a closer look.

[roll0]

dauphinous
2007-05-28, 05:55 AM
Kruhljak, Hertz, Sarrok:Kruhljak and Hertz arrive near Sarrok to find him scraping his sword fairly fruitlessly on something that has a hold of his leg. He seems to be fighting against being pulled underground. Hertz can see that a pair of pincers, about the same brown as the dirt, are clamped around his leg. They are serrated on one edge, about half a foot long, and darkened by a small spray of Sarrok's blood. Whatever they may be attached to is not apparent.

Carter:Trying to grab at whatever is on his neck, he brushes something furry that he is sure is not his own hair or flesh. The sharp pain in his neck does not decrease, and he feels just the tiniest bit woozy, like he is holding something at bay that would suck him into unconsciousness. {1 point of damage}

Deladus sneezes loudly three times as he rolls. The dust seems to stick to his face. He feels something brushing at his side, but finds that he cannot see it. Or anything else. {blind}

Nalik, Ziran, and Oliana heard Carter's call, Deladus' sneezing, and Sarrok's yell, though they will need to really look to see any of them. Kruhljak's horse can be seen without issue through the trees.

lawful_evil
2007-05-28, 07:12 AM
Carter

Becoming more frantic, Carter hollers a bit louder and says, "Help me get this thing off my neck or back or where-ever it is." Carter's hands are frantically attempting to grab something on the back of his neck or back which seems to be just out of reach.

Who says an old dog can't teach you a new trick... Carter uses a nearby tree to try and rub/scrape off whatever is clinging to him.

anIceFan
2007-05-28, 11:10 AM
Nalik

Nalik is momentarily stunned as his group appears once again to be in danger.

Ziran, go look and see what is happening out there. Oliana, go check on Deladus. I will see what is ailing Carter. And be careful.

He runs over to Carter trying to see what is happening
What is going on?

Not sure if there is anything to see but,
spot going to carter 1d20+3=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1071658)

lawful_evil
2007-05-28, 01:15 PM
Carter

Carter turns his back to Nalik so he can help while saying, "Not sure if I hit a trap or if something was waiting for me in the trees, but something dropped down on my piercing my neck. I felt something fuzzy back there and may be poisonous, so watch out. I've been struggling to stay away since it stabbed me."

Carter tries to control his panic, by clenching his fists and grinding his teeth, to give Nalik time to help.

raspberrybadger
2007-05-28, 02:02 PM
Ziran Blueboots

The order gives Ziran a reason to end his indecision immediately - he takes Nalik to mean that he should help his fellow Gnome, and rushes over to where he heard the cry, unsure what he will find. If need be, he'll mount his pony first, as that doesn't cost him any time since it moves twice as fast as his short little legs carry him on their own.

Holocron Coder
2007-05-28, 08:15 PM
Deladus

Realizing his lack of vision, Deladus pauses cautiously upon standing. After a moment of silence, he calls out, once, "Somebody help!" before listening intently around him.

He had never learned to fight while blinded before, but he would rely on what senses he still had use of.

Annalia
2007-05-28, 09:15 PM
Hertz

Hertz cringes visibly as two other of his companions cry out for help, but stays focus on getting Sarrock out of that pincer-thing's grasp. Heh, you've always been good at breaking grapple fights between the young monk. Maybe it will actually be useful today. With a determined look, he falls to his knees and grabs the pincers, trying to open them wide enough for Sarrock's leg to slip free. "If you feel it loosen, Sarrock, take your chance!"

OOC:
Figured that'd be like Joining a Grapple, right?
Grapple check: 1d20+5=11. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1072725)
If you'd prefer to do this like starting a Grapple, I have Imp. Grapple. My melee bonus is +1 (maybe if you roll, I'll actually hit :smallwink: )

oliana0
2007-05-29, 09:07 AM
Oliana

Oliana hears Deladus's cry and follows Nalik's order. She moves carefully towards Deladus, drawing a dagger. "Deladus, what is it?"

Holocron Coder
2007-05-29, 07:02 PM
Deladus

"I stepped in something and fell over, now I can't see... Though I thought I felt something nearby. Be careful," the blind man warns, looking in the direction of her voice.

WarBrute
2007-05-29, 08:31 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok grunts with frustration but nods at what Hertz suggestes.

escape artist check (nat one) Escape atrist check 1d20+5=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1074663)

dauphinous
2007-05-30, 06:01 PM
Carter, NalikCarter tries to rub whatever it is off his back, but find that this only seems to annoy it. It stings him again, and he again feels like something is trying to will him to sleep. Once Nalik gets there, he can see a ball of grey fur perhaps half the size of his fist stuck to the back or Carter's neck.

{1 point of damage for Carter}

ZiranZiran jumps on his pony and gets the mount to move as fast as it can towards Sarrok. It will take him a little less than half a minute to get there.

Hertz, Kruhljak, SarrokHertz tries to pull the pincers open, but finds they are clamped on much too tightly. His efforts break the skin on his hands, causing pinpricks of blood to blossom in his palms. Sarrok is unable to wiggle himself free. The creature, whatever it is, starts pulling.

{Str checks to keep Sarrok above ground. One of you should take the lead and the others do Aid Another. Alternately, you can roll initiative and attack the pincers. Or you can think of something clever and do that instead.}

Deladus and OlianaAble to find Deladus without an issue, Oliana can see that there is some sort of dusty yellow gunk covering this face and some kind of creature that looks a great deal like a tiny little stick person with a couple of leaves sprouted from where the 'hands' should be and a flower where the 'head' should be. The whole creature is perhaps a foot tall and otherwise covered in thorns. The yellow flower and shiny leaves are reminiscent of a rosebush. The little stick person seems to be trying to slash its thorns into Deladus' leg, but not terribly successfully.

{Initiative to do something to the plant}

anIceFan
2007-05-30, 06:28 PM
Nalik

As Nalik approaches Carter
Hold still, there is something on your back.

He then takes his ax and tries to use the flat of the blade to flick the creature off.

lawful_evil
2007-05-30, 07:13 PM
Carter

Oh yeah, sure, you try holding still with some creature on your neck...

Struggling to stay awake, Carter drops to his knees and grasps his arms tightly across his chest giving himself a hug. Sensing the axe, Carter lowers his head and mutters, "Okay, what is it?"

oliana0
2007-05-30, 09:08 PM
Oliana

Oliana tries to stifle a laugh, "Deladus, you're being attacked by a rose bush. You should move..." Without getting too close, Oliana will direct Deladus to move slowly away from the rose bush and towards camp.

I'll go head and roll initiative, though she's not attacking, yet. [roll0] and a Spot to try to avoid any other bushes that may need pruning. [roll1]

Holocron Coder
2007-05-31, 05:02 AM
Deladus

Blinking, Deladus lets Oliana lead him as she will, not having noticed the plant's efforts.

Velvet Elvis
2007-05-31, 06:40 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Momentarily fascinated by the thing that had hold of Sarrok, he wishes he had a spear or something similar to jab into the dirt behind the pincers. A flail just wasn't going to work for that.

Hertz, however, at least attempted something useful, fruitless as it was.

"Here, let me take hold and you use your foot to try and pry it the other way. Sarrok, get ready to yank your foot out as soon as you feel it open up."

Kruhljak grunts, but fails to get a good grip on the pincers while trying to avoid the serrations. His hands slip and he stumbles back a few steps before recovering. A very disgruntled look twists his face, as good as words saying, "Alright! You want to be tough? I'll show you!" He returns to try again.

OOCstrength check vs Sarrok's pincered lover (1d20+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1077038) Err...that doesn't look too effective.
Try for another round, if needed, to speed up the narrative if desired--text above ends before this second try:
strength check vs Sarrok's pincered lover, try #2 (1d20+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1077039) Err...well, I'm sure Sarrok will be fine with one foot. I'll stop here, for now. (PS: I hate IC)

Annalia
2007-05-31, 07:08 AM
Hertz

Moving his hands around the pincers to let Krulhjak space to grab it, Hertz once again pulls as hard as he can, this time timing his effort with Krulhjak's and Sarrock's.

OOC:
Aid Another, Grapple check: 1d20+5=19. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1077078) Heh, well, +2 on Sarrock's Escape Artist.

WarBrute
2007-05-31, 05:21 PM
Sarrok Bladerk

The gnome again attepts to pull his leg lose.

Escape Artist check 1d20+5=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1078041)

dauphinous
2007-05-31, 06:04 PM
Carter, Nalik

Whatever this thing is, it is surprisingly resistant to Nalik's efforts. The little grey ball of fur remains firmly attached at the base of Carter's neck. Nalik's action actually seems to make it hurt more.

{1 point of damage for Carter}

Hertz, Kruhljak, Sarrok, Ziran

Between the efforts of all three men, Sarrok's leg is freed from the pincers. he hops a step or two away and is able to turn just in tiem to watch the pincers slip back underground. Ziran can be seen riding his pony at top speed in this direction. He will be there shortly.

{AoO's allowed by Kruhljak and Hertz}

Deladus, Oliana

The little plant creature doe snto seem to be rooted at all and continues flailing it's little sticks at Deladus' leg as Oliana pulls him away. This time, the tiny thorns on one of its sticks find a small patch of bare skin and graze an angry red line across it.

{1 point of damage and Fort save for Deladus}

Annalia
2007-05-31, 06:34 PM
Hertz

Not about to let the pincers get away so easily, Hertz reverse his grips on them and pushes as hard as he can, trying to break in the hard shell.

((Attack Roll: 1d20+1=12, Damage Roll: 1d6=1. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1078151)))

lawful_evil
2007-06-01, 05:31 AM
Carter

Carter winces and flinches as Nalik unsuccessfully tries to cut of his head. "Hey hey, thats my neck. Ow! Hey whatever you're doing it isn't working. Here, try my sword." Carter pulls out his longsword and offers it to Nalik.

Carter presses his chest into a nearby tree to brace himself so they can get some leverage to pop this thing off. If he can reach the beast, Carter will reach around with a free hand and try to hold the thing steady for Nalik and/or to help pull it off.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-01, 12:02 PM
Deladus

Deladus yelps at the unexpected pain and takes a swift kick in the direction he was injured.

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

anIceFan
2007-06-01, 12:27 PM
Nalik

Nalik takes the sword from Carter
Bah fool! Your dagger
Reaching to his waist, he pulls his dagger and tries to pierce the creature.

Being a bit freaked out by what is going on, Nalik shouts.
The forest has gone crazy. Oliana, do you have enough control of fire to burn these creatures without igniting the forest......or our comrades.

Not sure if I need an attack roll on the "Fuzzy ball of sucking doom" if so
[roll0]
[roll1]

also, D' Can I get a status check on Carter?

Velvet Elvis
2007-06-01, 02:10 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

With a better grip and Hertz' ability to find leverage where Kruhljak couldn't, Sarrok was freed. The pincers began to slide down and out of sight, and though Hertz chose to harass the thing, Kruhljak simply presumed to leave well enough alone. Besides, he wasn't interested in having the thing latch onto his own wrist or ankle in the attempt.

However, rather than remain entirely immobile, he draws a blood-red javelin.

oliana0
2007-06-01, 02:23 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks back and forth at the various creatures attacking the group. "One way to find out, Nalik. Sorry about this Deladus, but if I tell you to, drop, drop and roll towards my voice." Oliana's hands flick towards her waist and form a couple of gestures in the air as she calls forth fire from her fingers.

If Deladus catches fire, Oliana will shout out, "Drop to the ground Deladus." and move to quench any fire with her robe, otherwise she will move towards Carter, "Hold him still, Nalik."

Standard Action:
Cast Burning Hands on the rosebush, trying to avoid Deladus as much as possible. [roll0]
If Deladus on fire:
Move Action: Towards Deladus
If Deladus not on fire:
Move Action: Towards Carter

WarBrute
2007-06-02, 03:53 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok stubles a bit as he slides his leg free from the pincers. After he regans his footing he turns his swod upon the thing a swings at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

dauphinous
2007-06-02, 05:26 PM
Carter, Nalik

Nalik manages to scrape the thing off with the dagger, but a thin, needle-like spine remains protruding from Carter's neck. The little ball of fur, now in Nalik's hand is not making any sort of movement, and it may well be dead, even though no blood is evident. You can hear a high-pitched screeching coming from where Deladus and Oliana are.

{Carter has taken 3 points of damage. Aside from a spine sticking out of his neck, he seems otherwise fine.}

Hertz is unable to either squeeze or pull hard enough to elicit so much as a minute crack from the pincer. Sarrok's sword fails to find any sort of purchase upon it. At this, the ground trembles a bit and the pincers surge upwards, followed by a flat head with four beady eyes, each the size of a human fist. The head is followed by a thick, meaty neck and two arm-like appendages with three-pronged pincers on the ends. The remainder of the creature's body has four legs that each end in claws, much like a bird's talons. The whole of the body is covered in dull, earth colored plates that are probably quite difficult to pierce.

It is out of the ground in a flash and Ziran is about 30 feet away when it happens.

{Hertz and Sarrok need to make Ref saves DC 15 or fall prone. All four of you are now required to roll initiative in order to do anything.}

Deladus, Oliana

Oliana finds that it is impossible to target the plant creature without also hitting Deladus. The plant makes a hideous screeching noise, though where exactly on the plant it is coming from is a complete mystery. The fire crisps the little leaves and wilts the flower and blackens some of the sticks. The pants on Deladus' leg are burning. Deladus can hear Oliana saying, "Drop to the ground, Deladus."

{Deladus takes 5 fire damage and his pants are on fire.}

WarBrute
2007-06-02, 07:27 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Reflex save save[roll0]
Init [roll1]

Sarrok dodges to the side as the monster erupts from th earth. He stares up at it his mouth a gape.

He backs off 20 feet and draws a javalin.

OOC
+1 dodge bouns against the monster and +4 for mobility if I move out of its reach

lawful_evil
2007-06-02, 07:49 PM
Carter

Seeing the thing in Naliks hand without any poky bits, Carter panics again and says, "Did you get it all? Is the stinger still in me? I don't want it to burrow into my heart and turn me into a fur-zombie." Carter drops to his knees his head down and starts scratching at his neck, yelling, "Cut it out! Cut it out!"

Must stay awake, must stay awake. Must get it out of my neck. Must get it out of my neck. Brains...

raspberrybadger
2007-06-02, 08:03 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran just looks at the thing, and thinks Wow, that thing looks nasty. Bet it has decent armor too. Well, I've got something that ignores armor.

With that, he nudges his warpony forward five feet to get in range, pulls out a scroll of Ray of Enfeeblement, and reads it at whatever the thing is. He smirks as the ray looks to be on target, thinking Let it try to cause trouble now. This could be funny when it falls over instead of lunging and killing like it is used to.

Edit: right, rolls. Initiative, ranged touch, strength damage (1d20+2=17, 1d20+4=19, 1d6+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1082212)

Annalia
2007-06-02, 08:52 PM
Hertz

Hertz stumbles backward to keep his balance as the crab-like monster comes out of the ground. As sure as he finds sure footing, however, he draws out a javelin and takes aim for the only spot that was apparently weak -- the eyes.

OOC:

Initiative: 1d20+6=20. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1082187)
Reflex Save: 1d20+5=21. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1082213)
Attack Roll: 1d20+3=12, Damage Roll: 1d6=6. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1082262)
Somehow, I should've expected to get a bad roll on the attack. :smallwink:

Holocron Coder
2007-06-02, 09:24 PM
Deladus

Feeling the heat and Oliana's order, Deladus falls to the ground and blindly rolls back and forth, attempting to douse the flames.

Velvet Elvis
2007-06-03, 12:00 AM
Kruhljak Wynde (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=44910)
( Init: (1d20+2)[20] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2690601&postcount=95) | AC: 16 | HP: 22/22 | Position: n/a )

Surprisingly, rather than fading entirely out of sight, the creature decides to reveal itself fully. The thing didn't look as if it would cooperate with his favored tripping maneuver--too many legs; too close to the ground--so a more direct approach would be required.

Kruhljak quickly drops the javelin, draws his familiar flail and with a grunt, arcs his flail over his head, bringing it down with both hands as square across those beady eyes as possible. That carapace might be resistant to piercing, just as a warrior's mail, but there's nothing like a pair of metal flail-heads to give the thing inside a major headache.

OOCPlan: Drop javelin (free), draw flail (move), whack critter.

If needed, I'll use a 5' step to get into flanking position. Though Sarrok and Hertz are backing off, a lot depends on when that happens and where we're oriented when combat begins. So, please add +2 to my attack roll if I've managed flanking before the other two move off.

Tie-breaker roll for init between Hertz and I: (1d20+2)[18]

Data for Jerry Lewis-style flail attack:

atk = (1d20+6)[21]
dmg = (1d10+6)[14]

(rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2690601&postcount=95))

anIceFan
2007-06-04, 10:57 AM
Nalik

Nalik drops the fuzzy ball onto the ground, and stomps on it. He then turns to Carter
This might hurt a bit

he then will take his knife and try and pull/cut out the needle without breaking it.

dauphinous
2007-06-04, 12:45 PM
Carter, Nalik

Although Nalik tries to drop the little ball of fur, it stays stuck to his hand. He feels a small pinprick in his palm. Even when he shakes his hand a little, the fuzzy thing doesn’t just fall away.

Carter can feel the small spine sticking out of his neck and yank it out. The spine is about three inches long with a bit of blood on it. It looks like it is made of some sort of resin.

{Fort save for Nalik}

Although Hertz manages to keep on his feet, his javelin goes wide. Kruhljak can flank with Sarrok to deliver a blow that makes a satisfying splick noise. A little bit of blood, normal red, splatters across the carapace of the creature. Ziran sends a dark ray into the creature, which has not real visible effect. Sarrok backs up and pulls a javelin.

The creature’s head lunges at the closest annoyance, Kruhljak. Its pincers sink into his arm. Without anything to compare the strength of the bite to, all Kruhljak knows is that it hurts.

{
initiative order:
Hertz 20
Kruhljak 20
Ziran 17
Sarrok 15
Mr. Pincers 7

Kruhljak takes 8 damage
}

Deladus, Oliana

Oliana is able to keep the fire from burning Deladus any more once he drops to the ground. The little plant runs away, still on fire.

{Oops. Deladus took 3 points of Str damage from that failed Fort save.}

anIceFan
2007-06-04, 01:17 PM
Nalik

Unable to shake lose the little fluffball, and feeling a prick in his palm, Nalik puts his hand down perpendicular to the ground and stomps on the creature.

[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2007-06-05, 03:09 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran thinks over his options, and decides Thats it, I've done what I can with magic, I think its time to let my horse beat the thing up. Its at least got four legs.

With that, Ziran tries to dismount as fast as possible so as to stay out of the melee himself, though he manages to dismount no faster than usual, and then orders his warpony to attack the pincered thing (ideally in a flanking position)

Free dismount ride check, handle animal check (1d20+3=10, 1d20+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1086387)

oliana0
2007-06-05, 04:24 PM
Oliana

Oliana, chcking the ground for annoyances, helps Deledus back up and moves him quickly to the clearing. Oliana double checks the ground where in the area and then tells Deladus, "Sit here, don't move, don't pick at your eyes. I'll be back in a moment."

Get Deladus to "safety" and head towards Nalik and Carter. Please tell me if Nalik and Carter are in line of site at the beginning of next round.

Velvet Elvis
2007-06-05, 09:48 PM
( Init: (1d20+2)[20] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2690601&postcount=95) | AC: 18 | HP: 14/22 | Position: n/a )

-•-

With a yowl of pain Thor himself could likely hear in Asgard, Kruhljak quickly understands this is no mere oversized garden pest.

Pain in his arm seems to affect his accuracy rather than his strength, oddly enough. His flail swings wildly, smashing with a double-thud into the dirt beside the armored foe.

-•-

OOCPlan:
- Shift 2BAB to AC (Combat Expertise), bringing AC to 18 until my next turn.
- Attempt trip on Mr. Pincers

Melee Touch Attack - 1d20+4 (0BAB/+4STR) = 8
Opposed Strength Check - 1d20+8 (+4STR/+4ImpTrip) = 26
If I lose the check, I refuse to drop my weapon, cuz that's just wimpy!
Opposed Strength Check (to avoid being tripped - 1d20+4 (+4STR) = 24
Melee Attack followup to successful trip - 1d20+2 (0BAB/+4STR/-2PowerAttack) = 4
Flail Damage - 1d10+10 (+6STR/+4PowerAttack) = 11

Please add +2 to attack rolls if Hertz decides to enter into a flanking position.

(rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2696796&postcount=97))

Holocron Coder
2007-06-05, 10:08 PM
Deladus

Resigned to sitting quietly out while others fight, Deladus nods at Oliana before sitting in the clearing and listening quietly.

Annalia
2007-06-05, 11:19 PM
Hertz

Hertz cringes as he hears Krulhjak yell out in pain, and he sprints forward to attack the crab monster from behind. As he moves, he yells over his shoulder "Nalik! Any help you can spare we'll gladly take!" He then concentrates on his target, striking as hard as he can - and hurting his hand more than anything else.

OOC:
I can tell I missed! Again. :smalltongue: Attack: 1d20+3=5! (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1087312)

lawful_evil
2007-06-06, 05:40 AM
Carter

Carter slumps and gives a deep exhale. With his head down towards the ground he takes a couple deep breaths and then feels the trickle of blood on his head. He reachs around and puts a hand on the wound applying pressure in an effort to stop the blood loss.

After a few moments of relaxation, Carter realizes Nalik is still having trouble and offers to help. Seeing the problem Nalik's got, Carter doesn't want it stuck to his hand either. "Did the boot thing work? Maybe we can use a couple of blades to pry it off while you are holding it down with your boot."

Hearing Hertz's call for help, Carter says, "That is unless you'd rather I go help them?"

dauphinous
2007-06-06, 12:55 PM
Carter, Nalik, Oliana

Nalik, about to try stomping on the fuzzy thing, instead feels his eyelids droop and falls to the ground, unconscious. The fuzzy thing remains stuck to his hand. Oliana can drop off Deladus and hurry over, arriving just after Nalik lands on the ground.

Kruhljak swings his flail, trying to grab a leg with it, and wishes the heads right on by the creature harmlessly. Hertz's miss certainly doesn't help the situation, but everyone has come to expect that particular brand of assistance from him by now. Ziran slides off his pony and urges it into battle. The pony trumpets a challenge and dives into the fray, lashing out a hoof that lands with a solid crunch on the creature's hide.

The creature, now angered by the pony's aggression, sinks both pincers into ponyflesh, ripping away a few chunks of it and liberally spattering both Kruhljak and Hertz with pony blood.

{
initiative order:
Hertz 20
Kruhljak 20
Ziran 17
Sarrok 15
Mr. Pincers 7

The pony takes 9 damage.
}

oliana0
2007-06-06, 01:31 PM
Oliana

Oliana arrives just as Nalik slips away. Seeing the furry bit attached to Nalik's hand, and putting two and two together, Oliana looks to Carter, "Go help the others. If you feel tired or woozy, be sure to call out so I know where to find your sleeping self. Oh, and if things don't look good, call a retreat back to the clearing. We cannot afford anyone getting hurt too badly with Nalik out of commission."

She'll then drag Nalik to where Deladus's sits keeping clear of the fuzzy lump on Nalik's fist.

lawful_evil
2007-06-06, 02:08 PM
Carter

Carter nods at the new commands and then gives Oliana the resin stinger adding, "It uses these as a stinger. Watchout when you pull it off or it'll sting you too."

Carter holds his shield up in front of him and charges through the underbrush towards the cry for help he heard from Hertz.

{{
Init (1d20-1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1088482)
Oh, goody, I get to go last.
}}

Annalia
2007-06-06, 05:33 PM
Hertz

Focus, Hertz, focus. Hertz tentatively moves closer to the crab, trying to get a strike past its chitin armour once again. He didn't hold much hope, but if he could at least keep the thing busy, Ziran's pony wouldn't meet an untimely death.

OOC:
Because I never give up! Attack Roll: 1d20+3=9, Damage Roll: 1d6=4. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1238) Hm. My turn will come!

raspberrybadger
2007-06-06, 11:04 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran sees his pony take a gushing wound, and winces, but then he reallizes that a blow like that might have done even worse to one of his fellow Defenders. Seeing the others failing to touch the thing, Ziran yells to Kruhljak "I'm going to put strengthening magic up on you, then you can make the thing pay."

With that, he takes out a scroll of Enlarge Person and casts it on Kruhljak, thinking If that doesn't end up with one tripped bug thing, I don't know what will. I swear, I have got to learn a spell that just trips things.

Velvet Elvis
2007-06-07, 10:46 PM
( Init: (1d20+2)[20] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2690601&postcount=95) | AC: 17 | HP: 14/22 | Position: n/a )

-•-

Within a mere moment, Kruhljak grew to the size of a giant due to Ziran's spell. His flail, likewise kept pace, and though it felt rather odd--as if standing along a wall looking down--it was quite invigorating.

The bug looked...small, now, but it remained more than just an annoyance, and the best approach seemed to get it on its carapaced back, hopefully to render it nearly helpless like an upturned tortoise.

The angle was a bit awkward, but regardless, once more the flail is raised and swept across one pair of legs. If they wrapped, his augmented strength should have no trouble overpowering the insect.

-•-

OOCPlan: As the immortal Daffy Duck said, "Let's try, that again!"

- Enlarge Person = size large, +2STR, -2DEX, -1 atk/AC size penalty, flail damage to 2d8

- Shift 2BAB to AC (Combat Expertise), bringing AC to 17 until my next turn.
- Attempt trip on Mr. Pincers

Melee Touch Attack - 1d20+6 (0BAB/+5STR/+2Flank(Hertz)-1Size) = 23
Opposed Strength Check - 1d20+12 (+4STR/+4ImpTrip/+4Size) = 25
If I lose the check, I do not drop the flail
Opposed Strength Check (to avoid being tripped) - 1d20+8 (+4STR/+4Size) = 20
Melee Attack followup to successful trip - 1d20+4 (0BAB/+5STR/+2Flank(Hertz)-1Size/-2PowerAttack) = 13 (eff. 17 due to prone bug)
Flail Damage - 2d8+11 (+7STR/+4PowerAttack) = 20

(rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2710788&postcount=99))
(corrected flail damage roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2710818&postcount=100))

dauphinous
2007-06-08, 12:25 PM
Oliana drags Nalik over to Deladus as Carter sprints away to help the others.

Hertz again provides comedic relief with his combat prowess. Hearing Ziran's request, Kruhljak delays until the gnome is able to cast his spell, then wraps his flail around one of the creature's legs and gives a good yank. The pull is a mighty one and send the creature to the ground with a thump. Using the momentum of the creature's own fall, Kruhljak swipes the flail against its carapace, but fails to injure it. The pony continues to trumpet its challenge, lashign out with hooves at the creature's head, though it is clearly taken off-guard by its new prone position and fails to connect.

The creature, now fully enraged by Kruhljak, turns and sinks both pincers deeply into his thigh, and probably severing the artery there. It does not bother to stand up, and seems to particularly enjoy the taste of fresh human blood.

initiative order:
Hertz 20
Ziran 17
Kruhljak 16 (-8, dying)
Sarrok 15
Mr. Pincers 7 (prone)
Carter 4 (about 200 feet away and sprinting)

Kruhljak takes 22 damage. You can roll your own check to self-stabilize if you want. You need to roll a 1 on a 1d10 for that.
}

oliana0
2007-06-08, 02:48 PM
Oliana

Oliana reaches down and adjusts Naliks hand, holding it still, and pulls out a knife. With a quick motion she brings the dagger down quickly into the fuzzy creature on Nalik's hand.

If Coup de grace possible:
Adjust hand and pull dagger on move action. Begin Coup de grace on standard action, finishing next round.
If No Coup for you:
Adjust hand and pull dagger on move action. Normal Attack on fuzzy creature. [roll0] (Please modify as necessary for helpless, "grappling" etc.) [roll1]

Annalia
2007-06-08, 03:54 PM
Hertz

Oh, great. Krulhjak's down and I can't do anything more than tickle that crab! Noticing Carter's rushing to their help, he sighs and decides to pull off the crazy stunt. He might succeed, with the crab on its back like this. Although, that hadn't diminished its efficiency against Krulhjak at all...

With a sigh, Hertz dashes forward, sprinting through the dangerous pincers and dodging the incoming attacks as best he can. Rolling and jumping, he makes his way to the other side of the crab creature - stopping next to Krulhjak. Pushing his luck (does he even have any?), he kneels down while taking a spare clothes out of his bag before attempting to stem the flow of blood from Krulhjak's wound. Stay alive, stay alive!

OOC:
I'm pretty sure I'm provoking an AoO with the heal check. Hopefully not one with the Tumbling through squares, because then I'm in a lot of trouble. Tumble check: 1d20+7=26. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1259) :smallbiggrin: Heal check: 1d20+4 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1260). Putting my dodge bonus on the crab, for an AC of 17.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-08, 09:03 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran watches with glee as the pincered thing is tripped with the aid of his magic - until the prone thing apparently has no trouble slicing into one of the defenders even while prone, thinking That is a whole lot less funny when the only thing my magic can do is prevent our people from being killed outright - I need replacement targets.

Calm replacing his earlier glee, Ziran points his wand into the air around the vermin, creating as many small scorpions as he can in flanking positions around the thing. Number of Scorpions (1d3=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1092976)

WarBrute
2007-06-09, 08:43 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok hurls the javilin at the prone beast.The pulls out his sowrd.

[roll0] dmg:[roll1] sneak attack?[roll2]

dauphinous
2007-06-09, 10:21 AM
Oliana, apparently too preoccupied with not hurting Nalik, is unable to maneuver her dagger to do anything substantial to the fuzzy thing. She does note that it seems to be shrinking a little.

--

Hertz leaps and tumbles around the creature to land beside Kruhljak and stuff some cloth into the wound on his leg. Ziran casts his spell and three small scorpions poof into existence right next to the creature. Two of them flank with each other, while the third flanks with the pony. All four beasts lash out at the thing, two scorpion claws and one stinger finding soft spots. Sarrok’s javelin manages to find a weak spot in the carapace as well.

The creature stands up, causing all four critters next to it to swipe away, and one more scorpion claw is able to jab at its underbelly. It is now freely bleeding from several places and roars in angry frustration. It lashes out at one of the scorpions, crunching it completely, then roars again when the vermin poofs out of existence.

{
Hertz 20
Ziran 17 (two scorpions and pony)
Kruhljak 16 (-8, stable)
Sarrok 15
Mr. Pincers 7 (heavily damaged)
Carter 4 (about 120 feet away and sprinting)
}

raspberrybadger
2007-06-09, 05:55 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Apparently pincers are what is working today. Fortunately, I can summon more pincers than that thing has. Looks like we've got this well in hand. Time for this thing to die.

As he reflects on the hillarity of a pincer on pincer duel, Ziran drops his wand, unstraps his crossbow, and tries to get a shot through the ring of scorpions and the like, though he isn't exactly confident in his ability to stay on target, so he has to be extra careful not to shoot his own scorpions instead, and barely gets off a shot at all:

Crossbow hit, damage (taking into account the firing into melee thing) (1d20=9, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1094015)

WarBrute
2007-06-10, 09:43 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok moves in close to the monster sword raised. He brings down his sword down aiming for any kind of weak spot avilble in the armor.

Moves in to meele rang of the monster(If i can I will flank with Hertz) +1 Dodge bouns against the pincer thing and +4 aginst attack of opportunity

[roll1]
?Sneak attack? [roll1d6

Annalia
2007-06-10, 07:21 PM
Hertz

Judging that Krulhjak wouldn't kick the bucket right away, Hertz lets out a relieved sigh and leaves his companion's side, once again rushing into battle. Ziran's scorpion lets more relief gain Hertz. He strikes out again, hoping his luck would improve.

Yeah, riiiiiight. Natural 1. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1273) I think the dice roller still won't let me hit anything.

dauphinous
2007-06-10, 08:10 PM
Hertz completely misjudges his timing and fortunately leaves a place for Sarrok to flank with one of the scorpions. The two scorpions and the pony all thrash ineffectually at it, pincers, claws, and hooves all scraping along the carapace. Sarrok, though, steps in and sinks his shortsword deep into flesh, shoving it all the way to the hilt and ripping it out in a fluid motion that splatters blood all over everyone.

The creature wails hideously. It's head sways a bit, and, instead of trying to eat the pony again, it slumps to the ground with spasms wracking its body. Carter runs up a few seconds later, just in time to see the creature's spasms end.

Annalia
2007-06-10, 08:34 PM
Hertz

As the creature finally stops moving, Hertz sighs heavily and turns to the newly arrived Carter. "Where's Nalik? Krulhjak needs help, immediately. I tended to his wound in a hurry, but they could reopen any moment." Urgency and exhaustion pierce through his voice, and he's rubbing his hand - which starts to hurt with the many hits on a rock-hard shell.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-11, 05:27 AM
Deladus

The blind figher winces as he hears the wail, looking in that direction. Not wanting to distract any of the other fighters from any combat that may still be going on, he keeps his silence, quietly listening to the breathing of one of his fellows nearby.

lawful_evil
2007-06-11, 05:47 AM
Carter

Running up to the last moments of the battle Carter stops, bends over slightly, his hands on his knees as he takes several deep breaths. When questioned about Nalik, Carter says, "He is out. Some kind of parasite attacked me and when he pulled it off, it stabbed him or bit him or something. Anyway, the parasite has some kind of sleep inducing poison."

After panting a couple more times, Carter adds, "Deladus got attacked by something too. I didn't see it, but it sounded like it got on his face and blinded him. Oliana is over there watching them and trying to get the parasite off of Nalik's hand."

Finally standing upright, Carter looks around at the carnage and suggests, "We should really re-group. There seem to be quite a few traps and such in the woods. I don't think camping in there is such a good idea. We should get Nalik and Deladus out of the trees before more of those parasites jump on them."

Annalia
2007-06-11, 07:31 AM
Hertz

"Agreed, and lets not move Krulhjak around. Sarrok, Ziran, can one of you go and help Oliana, while the other stays here? While I'm pretty sure the danger's over, we shouldn't take any chances."

He then turns to Carter and starts heading for the horse under his care. I"'m getting Ampere to help us transport Nalik. Deladus could also walk by her holding the reins - it'd make keeping his bearings easier." He'll untie the horse and guide her through the forest, following Carter's direction to the blind man.

Once there, he walks up to the man. "It's Hertz, Deladus." He announces himself, although the sound of his peculiar gait should make it evident. "We're moving to an area a bit safer." He'll give Deladus a hand to get up and guide him to Ampere, handing over the reins. "You can hold on to this - it's Ampere's reins. We're getting Nalik out of the forest, then back to where Sarrok was attacked."

WarBrute
2007-06-11, 10:21 AM
Sarrok Balderk

The gnome wipes blood fom his eyes and mouth before he says "Ziran, you should go to aid Oliana. You have your pony, you can get there faster." He sighs looking down at his sword. He attempts to wipe off the blood before he sheaths it.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-11, 04:18 PM
Deladus

Deladus smirks and takes a hold of the reigns handed to him. "Thanks, Hertz," the blind man responded, "So did we make out alright? All of that screaming and all..."

Annalia
2007-06-11, 04:30 PM
Hertz

"'Alright' is a bit of a stretch. Krulhjak's badly wounded, but I think he'll live. Carter says Nalik's been poisonned and fell asleep. That's where we're off to right now." Hertz answers, before moving next to Nalik. He takes a look at the fuzzy ball and frowns. What the hell is that? Looking at the others, he asks "Think we should move out of this forest or remove the creature first? I don't like the idea of leaving it there... but neither am I tempted to let Krulhjak nearly unguarded for too long."

lawful_evil
2007-06-11, 06:35 PM
Carter

Carter walks a slow circle around the group keeping a careful eye out for anything hostile.

Must stay awake. Just keep walking, walking, walking. That's what I'll do. Walk walk walk.

dauphinous
2007-06-11, 07:31 PM
Should Ziran attempt to mount his pony, or really try to get it to do anything other than walk slowly, it balks. The gash on its neck is probably quite painful.

The fuzzy thing on Nalik's hand continues to shrink very slowly.

Carter needs to make three Fort saves and Deladus needs to make one Fort Save.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-11, 10:22 PM
Deladus waits quietly by the horse, blinking to try to peer through the haze of his vision.

[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2007-06-12, 01:54 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran picks up his wand in time to see the armored beast go down, at which point he breathes a silent sigh of relief until he hears that Oliana might still be in danger. He rushes to his pony, but sees that the thing sustained enough damage to put it in a great deal of pain should he try to ride it. Increasingly frustrated, he gives up on getting over to Oliana at any great speed, and instead runs as fast as he can, hoping nothing further leaps out of the undergrowth at him.

lawful_evil
2007-06-12, 06:19 AM
Carter

So tired... Carter continues to walk a tight circle around the group. Must stay awake. Must stay asleep. Asleep

Fort Svs (1d20+4=24, 1d20+4=24, 1d20+4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1097895)

"zzz..."

*thump* Carter falls over with a crash.

oliana0
2007-06-12, 07:00 AM
Oliana

Oliana continues to try to remove the little fuzz ball without touching it. Preferable by stabbing it. Until someone comes to get her.

At which point she will aid moving folks to Krulhjak where she will tend to his wounds and check on Carter's sleeping state.

I don't know how many heal checks are necessary, but I'll give it a shot
Take 10 on stabalizing K if possible (15)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] To overcome fear of horses: [roll3]