PDA

View Full Version : The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

WarBrute
2007-06-12, 08:33 AM
Sarrok Balderk

"Cater? Cater!" Sarrok rushes to the side of his fallen comrade. "Don't be dead, please." He shakes Cater roughly attempting to arouse him Cadter and I are the last of the four still alive. If he dies...

anIceFan
2007-06-12, 11:17 AM
Nalik

As the others prepare to wake Nalik, he wakes with a start
Get your hands off me you damn dirty orcs!
realizing where he is, and what is going on, he lays back down for a second.
Give me a report. What happened? What is our status?

Lets see if Nalik wakes up
[roll0]

Annalia
2007-06-12, 12:30 PM
Hertz

Hertz is startled by Nalik's sudden awakening, and he barely avoids reeling back into poor Deladus. Once his balance is recovered, he moves closer to the dwarf. "Deladus is blinded, Carter just fell asleep much like you did, and Sarrock, Krulhjak and I were attacked by some huge crab-like monster. Krulhjak's badly wounded and uncounscious, he needs to be tended to as fast as you can. I think Ziran's pony could use the help too, if you have enough healing."

Hertz enumerates everyone's current status or problems methodically before kneeling next to Carter. "Anyone mind helping me put him on Ampere? She'll carry him over to where Krulhjak is." As soon as someone volunteers, he picks up Carter and tries to install him in a confortable - and safe - manner on the horse.

dauphinous
2007-06-12, 12:53 PM
Oliana is able to cut off the fuzzy creature just as Nalik wakes up. Part of it is lodged inside his hand, and there is no stinger of any sort to be seen. The small hole in his hand is perhaps 1cm at most, and it is now bleeding. It hurts. A lot.

Carter does not respond to the efforts to wake him, but he is quite clearly alive and breathing normally.

{
Condition monitor report:
Nalik has a total of 2 points of damage
Carter has 3 points of damage and is unconscious
Kruhljak is at -8
Deladus is blind and has 5 points of damage and 3 points of Str damage
Ziran's pony has 9 damage
}

anIceFan
2007-06-12, 01:51 PM
Nalik

Nalik lets out a groan, both from the report, and from the pain in his hand.

It sounds like Kruhljack is in the most need of urgent care. Your plan is to move us all out to where he is? Lets continue with that. Once we are there I am going to need one of you to try and carve whatever this is out of my hand. But even if I pass out again, make sure no one touches it.

oliana0
2007-06-12, 09:17 PM
Oliana

Startled by Nalik's quick response, Oliana trys to be careful not to bump the little fuzzy skewered on her dagger against him again. Seeing Nalik awake, she busies herself collecting all of their stuff before following behind the rest, keeping an eye out for dangerous plants and little fuzzy creatures.

Once Kruhljak has been tended to, she will offer to remove the stinger from Nalik's hand. "Sleeping shouldn't be a problem for me."

She wraps the little fuzzy with her robe and unceremoniously slips it off the dagger and places it on the ground. After she cleans the dagger as best she can she looks at Nalik, "Got something to bite on?" Clasping the hand firmly and bracing herself for a little "reluctance" she carefully incises the hand just to the side of the side of the stinger's entrance and tries to use the tip of the dagger to force the stinger back out the way it came.

As she works at his hand, she continues, "My mother always told me my ears made it easy for me to stay awake." Oliana shrugs. "I guess my hearing is a little better than average...." Oliana smiles a little then looks sad. She blinks several times and sniffs a bit.

Annalia
2007-06-12, 09:58 PM
Hertz

"You're alright, Oliana?" Hertz asks, turning around when he hears the half-elf sniff. He moves closer, watching her work with concern. Must be Elis' death slamming in. He sighs heavily, shaking his head. We just keep loosing more of us... Today again, Krulhjak nearly died.

WarBrute
2007-06-13, 01:45 PM
Sarrok Balderk

When Sarrok sees that Cater is breathing he laughs and sits back on his heels, thinking how silly his reaction to someone falling asleep was. A shakes his head and satndss up looking around for the others. "Now where did the that damn dog go off to? Ulfgard?!"

anIceFan
2007-06-13, 02:12 PM
Nalik

A scream starts to escape Naliks mouth before he is able to bite down on a strap of his backpack. I fights to hold onto consciousness as Oliana digs out the barb that is stuck in his hand.

Once she is doing digging, Nalik craoks Water
He will rinse his hand and take a drink.

Kruhljack is badly injured you say, let me take a look. Gather all of the injured here close.

Once everyone is together, he will take a moment to pray for healing to Thor. As he does he is thinking that Kruhljack, Deladus, and the pony are in the most dire straights.

[roll0] bonus level 1 spell
trading one turn undead for multiple people, K,D,P

Also, cure minor wounds (level 0 bonus) on Carter and Nalik (for a +2) Trading another turn undead.

Edit, Since I can get 3 from a turn undead, I would like to add K into the cure minor wounds getting him to +1 of his normal HP.

dauphinous
2007-06-13, 02:35 PM
When Oliana digs the piece of the creature out, the amount of it that was inside Nalik is much more than would have been expected. There is a stinger on the end, just like the one that was pulled from Carter's neck, and a small glob of bloody fur is attached to it. From the effort she has to put in and the amount of time it takes to pull it out, it was almost certainly burrowing to get up into Nalik's arm.

Annalia
2007-06-13, 04:19 PM
Hertz

Hertz looks at the thing with wide eyes, letting out a "That's disgusting... in one single gasp. He stares at the small glob of fur for a moment before shaking off the feeling. He'll lead Nalik back to Krulhjak, making sure Carter's ferried by Ampere there too, awaiting Oliana's answer all along.

oliana0
2007-06-13, 10:04 PM
Oliana

Dig, dig, dig. "Peachy." Oliana half-heartedly reponds to Hertz, trying to concentrate. Poke, dig, wiggle, carve, "Wow, that's really dug in there."

raspberrybadger
2007-06-14, 12:54 AM
Ziran Blueboots

On hearing Nalik scream from somewhere up ahead where Oliana was, Ziran starts to panic as his mind reels with all the possibilities of new threats to the party. He bursts into sight of Nalik and Oliana, with his wand held defensively in one hand to ward off unknown danger, and his other hand nervously ready to pluck the seeds of eldritch force from his components pouch - until his eyes take stock of the situation and see Oliana relatively calm, at which point sheepishness replaces his earlier panic, and he mutely sets himself to guard duty and then following the two back to the rest of the group. He'd prefer not to explain anyway.

dauphinous
2007-06-14, 09:19 PM
With the creature removed and (probably) dead, now all you have to decide is where to camp, what to do about Deladus, how to wake Carter up, and if you want to try and eat the large creature with pincers coming out of its head.

Deladus' face is still covered with some kind of yellow pollen. Kruhljak is conscious, but disabled.

anIceFan
2007-06-15, 11:59 AM
Nalik

to the group
Somebody burn that thing, BUT DON"T TOUCH IT!

he will then go over and check out Deladus. He will try and wet a cloth and rub the pollen stuff off of his face. If he is able to get it off of his face he will try and rinse it off of his eyes. He will be careful not to let the pollen touch him.

Once he has done what he can with Deladus, he will check on Carter. He will look to make sure there is no barb left in him, without touching the area of the wound.

Lastly, he will check on Kruhljack.I would like to let him heal naturally now, but we need him mobile so that we can move out.

Cure light wounds trading leve 0 virtue, and a turn undead for +1 to Kruhljack, Carter, and Nalik.

If while checking Carter Nalik thinks that another clw will cause him to awaken, He will trade another level 0 for that.

oliana0
2007-06-18, 02:32 PM
Oliana

Oliana shrugs, grabs some near-by twigs and branches, lights a small fire with flint-n-steel and is about to ignite the bit of the furry. "Acutally, I should check Carter's neck, too. Make sure nothing got too far in."

Oliana will inviestigate Carter's wound while Nalik looks at Kruhljak.

Heal check?[roll0] For investigating the wound/waking him up, generally registering his condition?

dauphinous
2007-06-18, 03:35 PM
There is a tiny, mostly healed hole in the back of Carter's neck. He seems to be completely unwakeable, though Oliana is pretty sure he will awaken on his own in a little while, maybe an hour at most. It's possible that hurting him might wake him up, but she can't be sure of that.

Once the pollen is cleaned off his face, Deladus's vision slowly returns. It takes a good minute before he can see anything besides light and dark, then another four minutes or so for his vision to return to normal.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-18, 03:38 PM
Deladus

The formerly blind fighter grins. "And here I thought I was going to be stuck like that."

He turns to his "savior", speaking with a grin, "Good to see your ugly face again, sir. And the lovely Oliana, of course."

"Ziran! You as well, my short friend," Deladus continues, obviously just going on for the amusement of it all.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-19, 08:31 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran sees the pollen, and figures something as crazy as the fight with the bug thing must have happened, and he just has to know:

"Deladus, how did you end up offending a flowerbed so badly that it spit in your face? Mind you, I don't know what we did to offend that giant earwig, maybe you have a guess?"

anIceFan
2007-06-19, 06:10 PM
Nalik

Deladus joke passes completely over Naliks head. He gives a little growl at the human.

Set up camp just outside of those trees. I want to be able to move in for cover at need. We will build no fire, EXCEPT TO BURN THAT THING points at fuzzball that Oliana decided not to burn.
Hertz and Oliana see if you can gather the horses.
Sarrok, you keep an eye on our back trail, I want to know if you see anything moving in the direction of the pass.

Deladus, Ziran you help me get Carter and Kruhljack over to the trees.

once everyone is gathered over by the trees, but not in them.
We will have two watch rotations that will overlap giving us two members on watch at all times. Each shift will be 3 hours. Rotation one will be Sarrok, Carter, Kruljack. Rotation two is Nalik for 2 hours, Hertz and Deladus.

Wake Me, Oliana, and Ziran after midnight so we can prepare for the day.

Time check. I am hoping that midnight would come pretty close to the end of 8 hours.

Get it, went over his head? He is a dwarf........never mind

raspberrybadger
2007-06-19, 07:13 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran gives Deladus a wink, saying "Small help I'll be.", but then gets to work relatively cheerfully, his earlier foolishness forgotten. Ziran's eyes (and more importantly, his ears) remain vigilant for danger, but the gnome's gloominess is gone.

dauphinous
2007-06-19, 08:07 PM
Carter wakes up about half an hour after everyone is settled in for the night near the trees. The night otherwise passes uneventfully, dawn still at least a few hours off when 8 hours have passed. The night sky is clear and filled with stars. The air has a bit of a chill to it. Unless someone provides light, it is quite dark.

oliana0
2007-06-19, 09:14 PM
Oliana

Once Oliana feels better about nothing burrowing through Carter's neck, she lights the small furry bit in the small fire she had started. While it smolders, she gathers some long grasses and forms a moderately tight bundle. She watches the fire until the furry thing is well charred and drops the bundle of grass on top of the small fire. She hitches up her robe out of harms way and stomps out the fire.

Once she is sure the fire will not reignite, she quietly assists Hertz with the horses.

Back at camp, Oliana listens to the watch list shrugs and curls up on the ground, as far away from the horses as she can get and still be "in camp."

Annalia
2007-06-19, 11:01 PM
Hertz

Hertz nods at Nalik and moves to the horses, taking special care of Ziran's pony. The wound might have been healed, but he suspected the beast would still be shaken from it. He'll rather direct Oliana at the calmer animals, not completely oblivious to her fear of the animals.

Once that's done, he'll silently prepare his bedroll and install himself for the night. He has trouble finding sleep, though, constantly reviewing the day's event. Somehow, he had trouble believing Elis was dead, and that Krulhjak had nearly gone the same way. Mortality rate was much higher than he'd expected when he signed in.

anIceFan
2007-06-19, 11:40 PM
Nalik

On waking, Nalik takes the time to pray to Thor, even though it is an unusual time. He asks for Thors strength for the team as they prepare to enter the pass.

Once the casters have prepared their spells for the day, He prepares everyone to move out.

They should not be expecting us to approach at this time. Lets try and make our way through the pass and see what is on the other side. Sarrok, take the point. We know there are traps in that pass, so take a care. Deladus follow, then Ziran, Oliana, and Hertz, then Myself, Carter and Kruhljack take the rear.

[spoiler]
Thanks to level up, we all got a bit of sacred purification for [roll]1d8[roll] HP. If you are already at full HP, you get up to 6 temporary HP for 1 hour
Giving up 1 turn undead.
[spoiler]

raspberrybadger
2007-06-20, 03:37 AM
Ziran Blueboots

As Ziran sleeps, he dreams of giant earwigs tripping, flat expanses, and hourglasses. In the morning, he says excitedly to Oliana "I understand now! To trip something, I don't throw energy at the thing like a color spray, or even at the space under the thing like an illusion - I just have to connect two planes, and the magic does the rest. Next time something jumps us, I can nail it with a grease spell!"

As Nalik lays out the battle plan for the day, Ziran sobers up, but he can feel how Nalik has called on Thor today, he can feel the extra battle vitality leaping through his veins, and he feels fully confident that despite the number of archers up ahead the Defenders will be able to seize the initiative and wash over the enemy like a flash flood.

Before entering the pass, Ziran recites his last scroll of Mage Armor, and mentally prepares himself to either throw an illusion at long range or a grease spell at short range, depending on how close the orcs are, gloating at the effects of either spell.

lawful_evil
2007-06-20, 07:20 PM
Carter

By morning Carter is fully healed and ready to kick some Orc butt. Feeling invigorated after Nalik magic, Carter is anxious to get moving. "We all ready to go? What's the plan? Just charge in and overwhelm them?"

Hmm.. am I going to be in the front or the back... should I go with the shield and sword or the flail.

oliana0
2007-06-20, 09:36 PM
Oliana

Oliana awakes slowly, and tries to prep her spells in the dark for a little while and decides that even her good eyesight could use some help. She detaches her lantern from her pack and opens the oil cover slightly and lights the lantern, keeping the flame very low.

She flips through her spell book undecided as to what to study, and settles on her most aggressive spells shunning the defensive ones. If Astrynn can do down, he will, even if I must fall too.

As a last, just before heading out she pulls out a scroll of mage armor from her pack and tucks it in her waist-band.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-21, 05:23 AM
Deladus

After the all-too-short night, Deladus simply yawns and nods. Quickly retrieving any of the gear he left lying around, he waits until others are ready before falling into marching order.

dauphinous
2007-06-21, 09:17 PM
The pass is reached under the cover of darkness. A best guess suggests that you have two, possibly three hours to dawn yet. The air is a bit chilly, and what started as a gentle breeze has become a light gusting wind with the smell of rain upon it.

Annalia
2007-06-21, 10:13 PM
Hertz

Feeling the rain coming as they reach the pass, Hertz moves to the dwarf leader. "Nalik, I think we should wait for the rain. If they have archers defending that location, they will have a lot more trouble shooting at us." He looks at the current team and adds sadly "And none of us relies on archery anymore."

anIceFan
2007-06-22, 03:12 PM
Nalik

After Hertz gives his assessment of the rain.

The rain can indeed be beneficial to us. But first we need to be at the other end of this pass.

Everyone dismount, I don't want one of the animals tripping a ward like our previous encounter.

Sarrok, scan the path carefully, I will follow right behind you. The rest of you, maintain the marching order. We will stop when we see the exit to the pass.

As the band starts to move through the pass Nalik is a bit concerned about Kruhljack's state. Often glancing back at the warrior. He is almost willing him to gather his strength back.

If it is allowed (and I don't see anything saying it isn't) Nalik will expend another turn undead to give sacred purification. Unfortunately, I think Kruhljack is the only one who will benefit from this. lets hope for a good roll.
[roll0]

if you decide that another sacred purification is not called for, then he will perform cure lite wounds on K for whatever that roll was +3.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-22, 10:16 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Now protected in mage armor, Ziran strides confidently in his assigned place, keeping his ears sharp for danger, and his wand out in case the party faces overwhelming odds.

dauphinous
2007-06-24, 08:42 PM
Sarrok moves slowly and carefully through the pass, stopping frequently to examine things closely. Already knowing where one tripwire was, he takes extra care in that area. He finds that the wire that was there before is gone, but there is a new one about 10 feet earlier. He takes a shot at trying to figure out how to disarm it, but finally decides that he isn't sure exactly how and doesn't want to chance setting it off. Instead, he just points it out silently to Nalik, steps over it and moves on.

He peeks around the corner once quickly, then again more slowly. Finding nothing obvious there, he resumes his careful sweep down this segment of the pass. Just 15 feet into this part of the pass, there is an arrow lying on the ground. Its placement looks deliberate, as opposed to accidental, as it is lying perpendicular to the walls of the pass, and seems undamaged in any way. The fletching, which looks to be the made with the white feathers Elisathalan's arrows used, is caked with dried blood, though the rest of the arrow is clean. Sarrok, after checking that it does not conceal a trap, picks the arrow up to show to Nalik.

anIceFan
2007-06-25, 11:53 AM
Nalik

Nalik is not surprised when Sarrok points out the new tripwire. He carefully guides each of Whiteboots hooves over the wire, instructing the others that follow to do the same with their mounts.

When Sarrok returns with the arrow he is not sure what to make of it.

I am not familiar enough with fletching to make much sense out of this. Where exactly did you find it.

When Sarrok shows the spot, Nalik will make sure to keep the people and animals back.

Lets see if we can make out any footprints or other tracks.

He will also suggest that they check out the wall in the direction that the arrow was pointing.

Annalia
2007-06-25, 03:01 PM
Hertz

Hertz wasn't much more familiar with fletching than the dwarf, but he had seen those particular arrows before. "It was Elis' arrow. Blood on Elis' arrow. And it looks like they put the blood there on purpose." While Hertz tone is flat and emotionless, he wears a deep frown and is staring angrily at the bloodied arrow.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-25, 04:49 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran, remembering all too clearly the last time he'd been down this pass says "I know exactly what it means - they know we're coming back, and they want us to know that and be afraid. It means they are ready, waiting for us."

lawful_evil
2007-06-25, 04:53 PM
Carter

In the rear with the gear again. What did they find? They are holding something. I wonder if they left a ransom note... Maybe they're alive?

Carter sighs.

anIceFan
2007-06-25, 05:07 PM
Nalik

Responding to Ziran
If they are waiting, I intend to make them regret it. Can you sense any magical wards at this point. It would help to know when this blasted rain is going to fall.

He will search the area and the wall for tracks.

[roll0]
[roll1]

sweet!
Anyone with a decent search or survival feel free to join in.

oliana0
2007-06-25, 07:18 PM
Oliana

Oliana's face grows pale as Sarrock walks the arrow past her to Nalik. Blood comes back to her cheeks and her face contorts to a slight scowl as Hertz discusses the arrow. When Ziran pipes in, her eyes dart up to the tops of the walls as she uses her keen elvish (not quite elven) eyes to search the trees above for signs of archers.

Search? Spot?

Search = +5 Spot = +2 [roll0]

Holocron Coder
2007-06-26, 05:07 AM
Deladus

Deladus notes Oliana's pale look and glances at the feather. However, he doesn't make the connection that she did and simply scans the pass for possible hostiles. It doesn't feel safe sitting still like this...

raspberrybadger
2007-06-26, 02:26 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies grimly Yes, good to be cautious. and casts Detect Magic in the area ahead of him, and maintaining concentration on it as long as he can - once the group gets moving again, he will inform Nalik that in order to scan for magical wards, he may have to move a little more slowly.

dauphinous
2007-06-28, 06:23 AM
Sarrok checks the wall of the chasm carefully, but finds nothing of note. he shrugs and moves on, sweeping the the ground carefully with his eyes. He point sot something else a little farther down, and just stands there for a few moments when he reaches it. Then he crouches down slowly and checks the ground before straightening again and turning around. His face twisted in a disturbing cross between anger and despair, he holds out his had to reveal a slightly pointed ear, the edge where it was severed raw and bloody, the rest of it spattered with dry blood. Judging by the ragged edge of the cut, it was not removed gently.

Annalia
2007-06-28, 08:31 AM
Hertz

Don't react, don't react, don't react. Hertz keeps repeating that to himself, as he felt the urge to hit something, anything, and to make them pay. That'd be no use, and he'd hit nothing if he couldn't subdue his anger. Breathing slowly, heavily, he glances at Oliana. If he felt like vomitting, he didn't want to know what was going through the wizard's head.

oliana0
2007-06-28, 10:39 AM
Oliana

Oliana sees the ear and recognizes what is about to happen, her face turns a little green before she recovers. She mumbles something that sounds like, "Breadcrumbs."

Oliana scrounges in her pack to find some bandages or spare parchment. Once she finds it, she holds it out to Sarrok to place the ear in. As she carefully wraps it up and put it back in her pack near Elis's letter to his mother, she speaks in a determined tone:

"Nalik, I have a feeling this will get a lot worse. And then really, really bad. It looks like he has left a trail for us to follow. No doubt to a trap. But, I don't think that turning back is an option. He has to be stopped."

lawful_evil
2007-06-28, 10:49 AM
Carter

Straining to see whats going on in the front past the various people, animals, and such Carter is up on his tippie toes trying to get a good look.

Humph. Why am I always stuck in the back? What do they keep finding? I wonder if this is some ploy to keep us in this chasm long enough to spring something really dramatic on us.

Carter whirls around to make sure no one is behind the group and to check the visible tops of the cliffs to see if anyone is sneaking up behind the group.

The sky sure looks dark. I wonder when it'll start raining. I hope this little chasm doesn't flood when it rains, that would really be unpleasant in armor. I guess it might be fun on a hot summer day. Sort of a water slide. Wheee!

anIceFan
2007-06-28, 11:20 AM
Nalik

Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Nalik subconsciously lets out a low growl .

No Oliana, there will be no turning back. He knows we are coming, but the do not know when.

He will wave everyone together. Or as together as they can get in the narrow pass.
We knew that Elis was lost. He could not feel what they did to him after he had passed. The only reason they left these marks was to make us angry and put us off. Well, they have succeeded in making us angry, but lets use that to focus on the task at hand.
dramatic pause.
Ziran, how far until we reach the opening in the pass?
insert Ziran answer here.
They obviously expect us to return, But they don't know when. They will know the terrain, but they have no control overr the time. We will use that to our advantage. We will move up to striking distance of the opening, then when the rain gets heavy we will attack. That should take out much of the advantage they have of an ambush. Hopefully this is only a guard, and not the whole pack. In order to not alert the rest, lets try and keep this quiet. Don't get to liberal with fire until necessary. If trees start to burn they will know that something is happening.
pauses to look ar all their faces. Making eye contact with all.
Once we enter the opening, Ziran, cast an illusion over the nearest tree that you remember Elis being attacked from. Kruhljack, Carter, myself, and Deladus will form a line, and charge that tree.Hertz and Sarrok, you can work around the flanks once we are engaged.Oliana and Ziran, do what you can to keep others from coming at us from behind.

Do we have any way to secure the horses where we are now? That would be ideal as Kruhljack is, I think, the only one of us who could actually attack from a horse.
The rest of us will creep up to the point right before we can be seen from the opening, and wait for the rain.

dauphinous
2007-06-28, 12:14 PM
Prior to reaching the next bend, Sarrok finds one more thing. It is a bloody Defenders armband that has been laid out flat and held down with small rocks. He picks it up and crumples it in his small fist, then hands it over to Nalik.

At the next bend, you are faced with a long stretch, maybe 90 feet, that opens out into a small forest. Sarrok reports this after peeking around the corner briefly. That part of the pass is only 5 feet wide at most, so it will definitely be single-file.

There is nothing obvious to secure the mounts to. The walls of the pass are smooth, and there are only small stones and dirt along the floor of it.

anIceFan
2007-06-28, 12:31 PM
Nalik

Nalik motions the group to move back, and keep silent.
Whispers, As soon as we go through, leave the animals.

He then pulls out the comm device
Bunnyslippers

Once someone answers
We are at the end of the pass in the mountains, or at least a point where there is an opening. It looks like Astryn's forces are expecting us. They have mutilated the body of Elisathelan and left parts of it along the path. The weather looks to be turning to rain soon, we will use that to cover our attack. If you do not hear from us again by midday, we are lost.

I am assuming that we left our camp pre-dawn and that it is now maybe slightly after dawn. Let me know if I am way off.

Holocron Coder
2007-06-28, 04:00 PM
Deladus

Deladus grimaces at the grisly spectacle they find first and sighs slightly at the second article. That's just... wrong. No one should desecrate a body like that. Or make such an obvious trail.

Nodding at Nalik's first orders, Deladus continues behind the lead, scanning the surrounding rocks until they reach the bend before the small forest. Quietly, he waits for further orders from Nalik.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-28, 05:51 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran gives Nalik the terrain information in a dull, matter of fact way. When the comment about mounts is made, he points out Strictly, I can throw colors from the back of a pony just fine, but if you think stealth is more important than mobility once we get there, I can go on foot. I'd prefer the pony though - its not that much bigger than the humans, and it doesn't have my short legs." For some reason, this last comment amuses him, or at least amusement shows on his face.

Meanwhile, he begins contemplating what kind of illusion to use, finally settling on a great hedge of writhing thornbushes made of iron. He'd wanted to work the pincered thing in there somehow, but it just didn't quite fit. On the plus side though, he looks forward to getting to trip orcs - after getting his illusion choice straight, he contents himself with mental pictures of all the ways a pile of orcs could trip up on a grease spell.

anIceFan
2007-06-28, 05:55 PM
Nalik

Responding to Ziran
As long as you maintain formation and can function at full strenght, you are free to remain mounted.

dauphinous
2007-06-29, 04:48 PM
You all hunker down and wait for the rain to come, which it does. It begins with just a few drops here and there, then suddenly turns into a downpour. What little visibility you had is all but gone. You can see, at best, 5 feet away in the dark, sheeting rain. Nalik's dwarven eyes can see about 10 feet. And you can tell that the very slight slope of the ground directs the water back the way you came.

Everything is soaked in less than a minute. It is about two hours to dawn or so.

anIceFan
2007-06-29, 05:02 PM
Nalik

Thor, guide our weapons to strike accurately at our foes.

I don't think we will be able to see an illusion. Lead the animals up into the trees. If we leave them here it will be obvious that someone has passed this way. Maybe we can get past their guards without alerting them. Stick close to the walls and each other. Keep in sight.

Move out!

Hopefully we can get behind them without a fight. I wasn't expecting the rain to be THAT bad.
anyway, casting magic weapon and trading turn undead to extend to 3. So I guess that would be Nalik, Carter and Deladus sorry VE. so +1 on attack and damage.

raspberrybadger
2007-06-29, 11:16 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran gets moving, following orders and staying in formation, but in his head he grumbles Dark. Wet. They could be right on top of us. On the plus side, my ears are better than any orc's, and they have to get in color spray range if they want to mess with us.

Annalia
2007-06-30, 03:39 PM
Hertz

Hertz follows silently, solemly. He was glad for the rain, and did not mind getting wet at all. In fact, the downpour was kind of refreshing, and it matched his mood perfectly. They were heading into a difficult battle, possibly the last for one or more of them. He looked up at the sky again. Yes, he was glad they at least would not be shot down from afar.

dauphinous
2007-07-01, 07:21 AM
The rain falls in sheets, obscuring your passage as you go. Each step makes a squidgy noise in the sloppy mud, though it is easily covered by the rain. It is not long before the small forest is reached, the trees visible as dark splotches ahead. As the trees are reached, the rain begins to lighten somewhat, allowing Nalik some measure of visibility, though it is still too dark for anyone else to see much more than 10 feet away.

You have reached a pocket in the mountains with thick mud that is forested. At the moment, it is impossible to tell the size of this pocket, but the sides of the mountains still loom overhead, so it cannot be too large.

{
Anyone who wishes to may make Spot and Listen checks. And I'm unclear on the marching order, so I'd appreciate that being spelled out again.
}

raspberrybadger
2007-07-01, 05:04 PM
Ziran

Ziran continues to attentively concentrate on his ears, and lets Alian peek his head out of the cloak pouch he's been carried in, figuring that bats can find their way in the dark just fine.

[OOC: the bat familiar has blindsense. Listen (1d20+7=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1130581)

lawful_evil
2007-07-01, 05:06 PM
Carter

Somewhat reassured with more detailed orders regarding this mission, Carter moves up into formation once the team is clear of the confines of the 'pass'.

Carter takes up the far right flank of the line of warriors(Kruhljack, Nalik, and Deladus) and readies himself to strike any targets within range.

anIceFan
2007-07-02, 10:39 AM
Nalik

As they enter the trees, Nalik turns to his left and right and instructs Carter and Deladus to drop to rear guard. He continues to lead the party around the side of the pocket, hoping to get behind the enemy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Marching order now is
Kruljack, Nalik
Hertz, Sarrok
Oliana,Ziran
Carter, DEladus

oliana0
2007-07-02, 12:07 PM
Oliana

When the rain starts, Oliana slips the black cowl from around her neck to above her eyes in an attempt to keep the rain from dripping down her face. It takes several minutes of thick rain before the rain has soaked her robe through enough for her to really feel it. The weight of the rain-soaked clothes, slows her step a bit. Her head dips a bit, but her face maintains a grim determined look.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Annalia
2007-07-02, 07:00 PM
Hertz

The monk follows, keeping his eyes low on the ground, but his ears open. The rain was drumming heavily on his nearly bald head. For a moment, he wished he had a hood. Well, I've traveled in worse before.

((Listen / Spot: 1d20+6= 19 / 8 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1521). Maybe not that useless after all!))

Holocron Coder
2007-07-02, 10:31 PM
Deladus

Deladus takes a short moment to glare at the sky. Rain would be helpful. A downpour would not. And guess which we got?

With that inner moment aside, Deladus takes up his position and trails behind his comrades. Just to be cautious, he unleashes his warhammer and shield, preparing for the conflict that seemed imminent.

[roll0]
[roll1]

lawful_evil
2007-07-03, 06:14 AM
Carter

Forming up in the rear, Carter is sure to keep checking behind him and the group to make sure no one/nothing is sneaking up on them in the blinding rain.

Listen (1d20+1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1132805)

I see nothing... nothing at all... Doh!
Spot (1d20+2=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1132807)

dauphinous
2007-07-04, 04:16 PM
Carter & Hertz:A bit of some sweet little tune can be heard, carried on the wind. Someone out there is playing a lute and singing in what could only be Elven.
Oliana:Oliana catches a bit of movement in the trees. She cannot make out any detail of the figures, but there do seem to be at least two, maybe more.
The rain continues in its lessened form as a shower, and is now somewhat mitigated by the leafy canopy overhead. You are still moving in darkness, though. You all (except the dwarf) stumble through the trees, straining to find footing without walking into anything.

{
Everyone but Nalik gets to make a Balance check DC 13 to avoid tripping over roots and shrubs. Failure renders you prone.
}

lawful_evil
2007-07-04, 04:56 PM
Carter

Carter twists his head around trying to get a handle on the direction of the sounds he is hearing. Then his manages to whisper, "Hey, wait, look, do you hear that? It kind of sounds like elven or something and maybe a lute?"

Ugh!
B-A-L-A-N-C-E (1d20-7=-1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1135725)
Bang-Clank-Clang-Smash

Oops

Annalia
2007-07-04, 05:54 PM
Hertz

"Yes, I hear it too." He says in a soft voice. "Elven witho- woah!" His foot caught in a root, and Hertz falls on his hands and knees in the mud. So much for stealth... he thinks, hearing Carter in the back fall, his armour clanking loudly.

oliana0
2007-07-04, 11:39 PM
Oliana

"I don't hear anything, but it looks like there are two people, there, in the woods, woah...ooof!" Oliana's so distracted by the movement in the forest her foot slips in the wet mud and she finds herself on the ground, getting all muddy.

[roll0]

Holocron Coder
2007-07-05, 05:18 AM
Deladus

"I can't hear anything. But I'll trust your hearing over my own in this mess..." Deladus notes, following the group in his rear guard position. The slight distraction is enough to cause his foot to slide off a slippery rock, sending the figher crashing to the ground amongst his fellows.

[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2007-07-05, 05:38 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Balance (1d20+2=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1136349)

As he trips, Ziran thinks Walking in the rain is certainly a lot funnier when you're not trying to evade a bunch of orcs trying to kill you.

anIceFan
2007-07-05, 12:31 PM
Nalik

As the rest of the group starts to stumble around, Nalik cringes at the sound of armor crashing behind him. Turning back he notices that many of them appear to be distracted. He gives them a stern/quizical look as he looks around the area.

[roll0]
[roll1]

lawful_evil
2007-07-05, 02:06 PM
Carter

Dang. Okay, come on get up. Falling isn't the worst thing in the world, get up before you get killed

Stand up. Ready my shield. Full defense. Look around and listen to see if any attack if forthcoming.

You can roll for me if I need to roll.

dauphinous
2007-07-05, 03:29 PM
It seems that the uneven ground is too much for everyone to handle in the dark. Nalik can see that Sarrok and Kruhljak are also having difficulty, and no he need not wonder why. The roots are twisted and gnarled, there are small rocks jutting up out of the ground, and the shrubs growing here are low with strong branches.

As everyone certainly expects, something out there is taking advantage of the difficulties. Arrows come raining into the group from above. As the first arrow hits Sarrok in the shoulder, a familiar tenor voice can be heard starting to sing boldly overhead.

Total slaughter
Total slaughter
I won't leave a single man alive.
La de da de die
Genocide
La de da de dud
An ocean of blood
Let's begin the killing time.

The sound of that voice used to instill courage into each of your hearts, but this song only feels like Death.

{
Initiative, please
Everyone but Nalik is prone to start with.
Sarrok, Deladus, Kruhljak, and Oliana are hit, all relatively minor wounds. Nalik is pretty sure the other arrow that flew through was meant for him, as it hit the tree behind him.
}

anIceFan
2007-07-05, 03:56 PM
Nalik

Nalik makes his way over to Oliana, standing in front of her, he takes her arm and points.
Can you shoot flame 30 feet in that direction?
To the rest.
Get behind trees, there are archers in the trees to the insert direction hereDon't be mistaken by the voice. That is not Elis, they have twisted our comrade.

[roll0]

Do I have an attack left after that, doesn't seem like I should. I will RP it in once D' decides.
Just in case,
[roll1] Aimed at not Elis.
[roll2]

With those rolls, I am hoping I have an attack

raspberrybadger
2007-07-05, 04:09 PM
Since Oliana is pointing, I'm going to assume that Ziran knows roughly where at least two of the enemy are, at least roughly. Is this in the treetops, or on the ground amidst the trees? If up in the trees, Ziran should be able to tell about what range the enemies are at too.

Summary: what does Ziran know about where they are?

Annalia
2007-07-05, 04:34 PM
Hertz

As arrows began to fly around and past him, Hertz scrambles to his feet and makes for the trees. Elis... He shakes his head as he reaches the cover. It wasn't him. It couldn't be him. Heaving a sigh, he peers into the trees on the opposite side, wishing he could see. We can't hide behind the trees for long. Let's hope Oliana's magic will help.

OOC:
Initiative: 1d20+6=23! (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1558)
All move actions for me. One to get up, one to take cover.

lawful_evil
2007-07-05, 07:47 PM
Carter

Okay. Lets try standing up again...

Ugh.

Wait, is that who I think it is?

"Aw, Dang." Stand up. Ready my shield. Full Defense.

Init (1d20-1=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137260)

Holocron Coder
2007-07-05, 09:52 PM
Deladus quickly stood up and rushed behind a tree to avoid further arrows, trying to put a thick tree between him and the direction the arrow came from.

[roll0]

Move action to stand, move action to get behind a tree.

oliana0
2007-07-06, 12:23 PM
Oliana

"Stupid... shrubs. Ow. Even stupider arrows." Oliana is just about to right herself when Nalik arrives and gives her a target.

She moves on the ground to the shadow of a nearby tree and stands with her back to the tree, "I can only fire half that far. But now that I can see what's attacking us, I've got a lot more options."

[roll0]
Move to a tree and stand up. If there are orcs within 30', she will get prepared to cast a spell. If there are not, she will pull the wand out (Would that count as drawing a weapon during a move action?)

raspberrybadger
2007-07-06, 01:05 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Initiative (1d20+2=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1138350)

If Sarrok hasn't already lit up the area, Ziran will use a dancing lights spell to create four torch like lights, 10 feet up in the air, each 10' to the right, left, forward, and ahead. If enemies aren't visible from that, Ziran will have the group of lights move around in a 15' circle.

If Sarrok already has lit up the area, Ziran instead casts Grease at whatever the most orcs are standing on. If that isn't possible, he'll recite a shield scroll.

Either way, Ziran wants to stand up and take a 5' step behind a tree if one is available.

WarBrute
2007-07-06, 07:15 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Initative 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1139142)

Sarrok tucks his head in as arrows fly by. He stays as low as possible as he draws and loads a bolt into he crossbow.

dauphinous
2007-07-08, 06:52 PM
Hertz and Carter both scramble to their feet, the former seeking cover and the latter presenting his shield in the direction he hopes the enemy is. Elisathalan’s cheery laugh echoes through the trees with a creepy tint to it, and a *whumpf* noise, just on the edge of hearing, sounds in the midst of you all, accompanied by a hint of sulfur in the air. A blast of angry air whooshes through the area, ripping away at flesh and hair. Only Sarrok manages to twist and contort himself to avoid the effects completely, though Oliana and Hertz seem to be positioned just right to miss the full brunt of the blast.

{
initiative:
Hertz 23 (12)
Carter 19 (1)
elisathalan 17
Nalik 16 (18) <-- paused here
Ziran 14 (2)
orcs 12
Oliana 10 (0)
Deladus 9 (8)
Sarrok 7 (7)
Kruhljak 4 (-1)

To resolve this, I’ve rolled the Ref saves for everyone and paused at Nalik’s action so he and the rest of you who go after can react to it. As soon as I get a new action for Nalik, I’ll move to the next bad guy action and stop again there for everyone else, though those who go after him can repost with action changes if desired. Because I’m not feeling like PMing that many people, those numbers in parentheses are your current hit points.
}

raspberrybadger
2007-07-08, 08:29 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran rethinks his own plans to cast Dancing Lights, and calls out "Sarrok, can you get torches, the dancing kind?", waiting to act until someone lights up the area.

anIceFan
2007-07-08, 10:59 PM
Nalik

Nalik is prevented from guiding Oliana's attack by the sudden concussion in their midst.
Oliana! He shouts as the half elf is rendered unconscious by the blast. He quickly grabs her to pull her behinds a tree and asks for Thor's healing.

We need to engage that enemies. Someone light this place up, they have the advantage in the dark.

Looking around he can account for all members of the troop except for Private Wynde. Kruhljack, where are you. Close in on the enemy. Concentrate on the Elis creature

Burn a turn undead for sacred healing and 1 for extending cure moderate wounds to 3.
[roll0]
That is +2 for caster level 2 +4 from sacred healing
I would like that to go to Oliana, Carter, and Deladus. I will hit Ziran and Sarrok and Hertz next round. Oliana is in deep poop, and We need our mele guys going strong right now.

dauphinous
2007-07-09, 05:34 AM
Nalik casts his spell and grabs Oliana, helping her get behind a nearby tree as he does so.

Everyone can hear at least two arrows whistle through the air, though Nalik can see four. Deladus takes a hit in the shoulder, but the other three fly harmlessly past those still more or less in the open. Four thuds can be heard rather close by.

Nalik:The orcs just dropped their bows and jumped out of the trees.

{
initiative:
Hertz 23 (12)
Carter 19 (18)
elisathalan 17
Nalik 16 (18)
orcs 12
Oliana 10 <-- paused here
Deladus 9 (20)
Sarrok 7 (7)
Ziran 6 (2)
Kruhljak 4 (-1)

I'm allowing Nalik's action to substitute for one of Oliana's move actions, so she is behind a tree with a standard action left. Oliana is now uninjured.
}

WarBrute
2007-07-09, 12:34 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Despite the seriousness of the situation Sarrok was forced to surpress a grin. "You know, I have always been more partial the lanterns myself." With his face still to the ground Sarrok waved his hand and 4 gentally swaying lanters apear half way between Elis and Ziran forming a 10 by 10 square. With his job complete Sarrok stand and attempts to step behind the nearest tree for cover.

Cast dancing lights and stands up from prone postion. Takes a 5 foot step behind a tree if possible

oliana0
2007-07-09, 02:02 PM
Oliana

Oliana feels the all-too familiar heat of a large fire ball and tries to use her practiced reflexes to avoid too much damage. Time seems to slow as she feels herself being dragged to safety and suddenly healed. The darkness still remains. "I can't see them well enough." She fumbles in the dark at her spell components, but then thinks better, and waits a moment in case Sarrok can bring the light.

Delay until Sarrok or Ziran bring on the lights.
Cast Flare on nearest Orc if she can this round.

dauphinous
2007-07-09, 02:45 PM
Deladus scrambles to his feet and takes what cover he can in the dark. Sarrok follows suit, creating four sources of light so the area is illuminated as he moves. There are four orcs standing on the ground, and what looks like Elisathalan is up in the trees, grinning madly. The orcs all have menacing smirks and, more importantly, greataxes. As soon as the lights appear, Oliana cast a spell, targeting an orc.

{
initiative:
Hertz 23 (12)
Carter 19 (18)
elisathalan 17
Nalik 16 (18)
orcs 12
Oliana 10
Deladus 9 (20)
Sarrok 7 (7)
Ziran 6 (2)
Kruhljak 4 (-2)

Map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/hmap.jpg) - green squares cost x2 move, brown squares cost x1.5 move. Trees are everywhere, so everyone gets a +2 cover bonus without even trying. If trying, you can get a +4 cover bonus, or full cover.
Ziran can still do something this round. Next round's actions, please.
}

anIceFan
2007-07-09, 03:22 PM
Nalik

Nalik lets out a growl as he arranges his shield and draws his hammer as he moves forward to engage the creature that dares take on the appearance of his comrade.
ZIran, get behind me!

Move towards D3 to engage not Elis. Attack with warhammer.
[roll0]
[roll1]
son of a

Annalia
2007-07-09, 04:23 PM
Hertz (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=113)

The monk waves his ways through the trees, looking down for roots as much as up at his target. When he rushes past Deladus, he drops in a low voice "I'm taking his right as soon as I can." Even through the mud he advances fast, and he lashes out at an orc as he arrives.

OOC:
Because I never give up the hope of hitting something. :smallamused:
Moving to F7, and putting my dodge bonus on Orc 1 for AC 19. (cover included)
Attack Roll: 1d20+2=4, Damage Roll: 1d6=2. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1600)
Hey, look people! The dice roller loves 2s.

oliana0
2007-07-09, 04:58 PM
Oliana (http://tinyurl.com/32j9ep)

"You're NOT Elisathalan!!!!" Oliana reaches into her robe and pulls out the wooden wand tucked in her waistband sliding it through her hand to remove the excess mud. She points the wand at the creature pretending to be their friend and activates it.

Use wand of Magic Missle at "e" [roll0]

lawful_evil
2007-07-09, 05:17 PM
Carter

Finally a chance to take back the battlefield, Carter charges forward at the orc blocking access to Elis. Shield up, trident in hand, Carter lunges at the orc.

Die!

Charge to E5.
Trident to E4 (1d20+7=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1143525)
My AC = 15 + 2(shield) -2(charge) +2(cover) = 17

Damage to E4 (1d8+4+2=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1143530)

raspberrybadger
2007-07-09, 06:47 PM
Ziran Blueboots

When the lanterns light up the field of combat, Ziran sees a clear line of fire ahead of him. His snap judgement about Not Elis tends towards believing illusion magic rather than necromancy, so he figures a color spray is the perfect solution, so he stands and unleashes one straight at the enemy (DC 17, hitting D4, EF 345. There should be range to hit Not Elis 15' up in the trees, and also to hit orcs 3 and 4)

(should I post this round's action as well, or wait?)

WarBrute
2007-07-09, 09:56 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok loads his crossbow and takes aim, finding most of his targets are bloked by his bulky comrads. Frowning Sarrok fires at his best target.

To hit orc #2 1d20+6=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1143830)
Damage to oec #2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1143832)
dodge bouns to orc #2

Holocron Coder
2007-07-10, 05:24 AM
Deladus

Growling in frustration, Deladus secures his warhammer and shield before quickly moving to engage the enemy. He focuses on the nearest orc, depending on his allies to keep extras off of him.

Move to E5, attack Orc #4
[roll0]
[roll1]
AC: 18 + 1 (Dodge) + 2 (Cover) = 21

dauphinous
2007-07-10, 07:02 AM
Ziran sends a blast of color into the fight before anyone can get in the way. One of the orcs falls to the ground, but the other just snarls with feral glee. Elisathalan does not appear to be affected, either.

Hertz picks his way across the difficult terrain, but is unable to come close to harming the orc he now faces. Carter finds that the terrain hampers his efforts to charge, and he is unable to include a weapon swing in his movement.

Elisathalan laughs. It is his laugh, but still with that disturbing undertone, suggestive of something dark and sinister. “Oliana, how can you say that? I know it wasn’t even two weeks, but surely you felt the connection I did?” With that, he launches two arrows in quick succession. One hits Oliana in the arm, the other hits Ziran squarely in the gut, knocking him down.

{
initiative:
Hertz 23 (12)
Carter 19 (18)
elisathalan 17
Nalik 16 (18) <-- paused here
orcs 12
Oliana 10 (10)
Deladus 9 (20)
Sarrok 7 (7)
Ziran 6 (-5)
Kruhljak 4 (-2)

Paused to allow a change of action for Nalik again. Carter can change his desired action/destination, otherwise he is at E5. Hertz is at F7. Orc #4 is on the ground, as is Ziran. Map is otherwise the same.
}

anIceFan
2007-07-10, 11:35 AM
Nalik

Before Nalik can push past Ziran to engage the enemy, he is stunned by an arrow that the gnome takes in the gut. He drops his hammer and Pulls his companion back, hopefully out of harms way. At the same time he asks for Thor's blessing.

Someone get Elis out of that tree,

Time to stop planning Nalik's moves out in advance.
Pull Ziran to A6.
Cure light wounds on Ziran, Oliana, and if Sarrok counts for 10' him. If not Nalik.
[roll0]

dauphinous
2007-07-10, 12:42 PM
Nalik extends healing to those he can, dragging Ziran out of the fight. The orcs seem to be more than happy to start hacking away at Carter and Hertz, and stay right where they are. The one orc chopping for Carter hits a branch with his axe, causing his swing to go wide. one of the orcs swinging at Hertz stumbles a little on a root, which checks his swing. The other one, though hacks right through a thin sapling next to Hertz and continues on into the monk.

Oliana's wand surprises her by shooting not one, but three darts of force at Elisathalan. The three darts slam into him, and his grin turns into a sour frown. Deladus moves up to attack, smashing his hammer soundly into the orc he now faces. He can hear bones crack and crunch with the blow, and the orc lets out a gasp of pain before dropping to the ground. Sarrok lodges a crossbow bolt into the arm of the orc facing Hertz, causing it to howl in anger.

{
initiative:
Nalik 16 (28)
orcs 12
Oliana 10 (10)
Deladus 9 (20)
Sarrok 7
Ziran 6 (5) <-- paused here
Kruhljak 4 (-2)
Hertz 23 (8)
Carter 19 (18)
elisathalan 17

Oliana is only down by 1 point, so I redirected that healing to Nalik, where it will be more useful.
Orc #2 is injured, #1 is down, #4 is unconscious.
Map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/hmap.jpg)
}

oliana0
2007-07-10, 01:00 PM
Oliana

Oliana's eyes narrow to slits, her lips form a sneer. She mostly ignores the pain of the arrow, and responds to Nalik in a low growl, "My pleasure." She moves as quickly as she can to below Elis and calls out, "Connect with this!!" She goes through the normal motions and incantations and fire springs from her fingers at Elis in the tree.

Move to D3 (prefered) or E3 to be within 15' feet of Elis's position.

(Not sure about how you want Oliana's height to affect the distance Elis is in relation. Mathmetically, she should be able to hit him from D3, but as we all know, DnD and science don't mix.)

[roll0]
Concentration is +7 in case she needs to go to E3 and Orc 3 isn't an Orc-kabob on Carter's Trident.

Annalia
2007-07-10, 01:44 PM
Hertz

Hoping to give Deladus and Carter an edge against the orcs, Hertz springs forward and tucks into a ball, rolling between the two orcs. Right before standing up, he kicks at the already-injured orc kneecap and hopes for the best.

OOC:
Tumbling to G4 and attacking Orc 2.
Tumble Check for Orc 1: 1d20+8=18. Tumble Check for Orc 2: 1d20+2=10. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1617) At least I have my Dodge on the one getting an AoO. Roots, save me again?
Attack Roll: 1d20+4=18, Damage Roll: 1d6=6. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1618) ! :smallbiggrin:

raspberrybadger
2007-07-10, 02:41 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran panics for the briefest moment when he gets shot, and then goes under. When he wakes up to Nalik's healing, he looks around and sees that little progress has been made. Even if healing spells take the edge off the pain, he really does not want to be shot like that again, so he stays prone and flicks his wand to provide a medium fiendish scorpion in the trees by Not Elis where one of the orcs had dropped from, thinking "Not as good as pincer on pincer, but scorpions can climb with their legs and hit with their pincers, right?"

Full attack by the scorpion: 1d20+2=10, 1d4+1=2, 1d20+2=4, 1d4+1=4, 1d20-3=8, 1d4=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1145068)

Seeing his scorpion snapping ineffectively, Ziran thinks "Oh, come on, all those pointy bits and it can't hit once. Well, at least the thing can't shoot without getting snapped at again - maybe then the pincers do something."

(OOC note - the scorpion has climb +5 in case it matters, and fire resistance. The important thing though, is that it has pincers.)

dauphinous
2007-07-11, 07:24 AM
Ziran uses his wand, creating a scorpion the size of a large dog in the tree next to Elisathalan. He mostly ignores its ineffectual attacks. Hertz springs between the two still standing orcs, catching both off guard. One just doesn't react quickly enough, and the other swings clumsily at him, missing completely. Hertz lands neatly, delivering a solid jab straight to one orc's kidneys. There is a squidgy, *splurg* sound and its eyes bulge out as it falls to the ground. Carter hefts his trident and skewers the last orc with it, pulling entrails as he yanks the tines back out of it.

Elisathalan, sour frown still intact, turns and runs farther into the pass. He disappears from sight quickly. The scorpion scuttles after him. If you wish to chase after him, you may. There are 2 dying orcs on the ground, one dead orc, and one unconscious orc.

Current hit points:
Nalik 28
Oliana 10
Deladus 20
Sarrok full
Ziran 5
Kruhljak -3
Hertz 8
Carter 18

Annalia
2007-07-11, 08:17 AM
Hertz

Hertz smiles with satisfaction as he hears the squidgy sound, standing up smoothly. Or, well, as smoothly as his back allows him to. When the pseudo-Elis takes flight, he turns to Nalik. "Should we? I can run faster but..." He lets the end silent, knowing full well they'd all tasted the fireball.

anIceFan
2007-07-11, 12:16 PM
Nalik

Responding to Hertz. He looks the way not Elis had run and weighs their options. No. Lets not get separated. Lets dispose of these injured orcs, and secure the other. We will have him for questioning later. Darnit, where is Wynde? Has anyone seen Kruhljack?

He will leave the disposal of the injured orcs to one of the others. He will tie the orc leaving a bit of rope as a leash. He will also bind his eyes.

He then checks over each member of the group that he can find.
For Oliana, he takes a moment to clense her wounds and sees that it is healing nicely already. He suggests that she take it easy for a moment. Gathering Hertz and Sarrok together, He prays to Thor to heal their wounds. Once that is finished, to Hertz You seem to be doing well with the horses, do you think you can check to ours.

Cure moderate wounds for Ziran and Hertz, trading a turn undead, no sacred healing this time.
[roll0]
Make Deladus #3
oh yeah, Nalik can be #3 although he only needs 2 HP. Everyone else looks to be at full strength to me.

Heal check on Oliana, can I take a 10? I have +9 heal. if not
[roll1]

well, those rolls could have gone better.

Deladus, Carter, Take watch. The rest of you see if you can find evidence of Kruhljack.

He then slumps down against a tree and pulls out the comm device.
Bunnyslippers
We have reached an opening in the pass. After a brief battle, we have gained entrance to the next stage. We are having trouble locating private Wynde, a search is ongoing.
he will pause for a moment, not sure how to proceed
Sir, there was something odd. One of our foes appeared to be private Elis. It certainly was not him though. He was definitely evil, and possessed greater power than I have ever seen from Elis.

oliana0
2007-07-11, 01:17 PM
Oliana

Oliana is ready to go after Evil Elis when she is stopped by Nalik. She shrugs off medical attention, as she feels fairly fine. Instead of taking it easy, she prepares to continue their pursuit by cleaning as much mud off of her as possible, and returning the more powerful than she thought wand to her waist.

Impatient to continue, she searches for Kruhljack. Maybe we can keep going if we find him.

[roll0]

Annalia
2007-07-11, 02:44 PM
Hertz

"Horses. Okay." He nods to Nalik, keeping his tone neutral as he answers, keeping the disappointment out of his voice. He didn't like letting that fake Elis get away, and thought he had a good chance of catching up and holding him down long enough for the rest of the party to arrive. But Nalik had a point, they had other things to tend to. With a sigh, he moves back to the horses and makes sure they are alright, tending to them as he sees best. I'm not really good with horses. I just pay attention, I guess.

Holocron Coder
2007-07-11, 03:28 PM
Deladus

Nodding, Deladus stands to the side of one tree, scanning both the terrain and the canopy for any signs of danger.

"So... if that was not our fallen friend Elis, what was it?" He asks aloud, uncertain.

Actually, Deladus' max health is 30, so he is down 10 points.

raspberrybadger
2007-07-11, 03:54 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pulls out a magic missile scroll, intending to get one last shot in, when he hears the order not to pursue. He at least gets to watch the thing being chased by a scorpion. While he doesn't say a word, he is more than a little sullen about the fake Elis getting away.

OOC: Ziran is at 5 out of 20 hp

dauphinous
2007-07-11, 06:05 PM
Kruhljak seems to have fallen such that he was obscured behind a tree. By the time he is located, he is fully dead. Just as that realization is starting to sink in, a woman's voice calls out from the way you all came. "Corporal Stormbrow?" A best guess is that she is right outside the forest.

anIceFan
2007-07-11, 06:59 PM
Nalik

Nalik jumps up when he hears his name come from outside the forest. In a voice just lound enough to be heard by the rest of the crew
Prepare for defense!

Then once everyone is ready Identify yourself!

He will raise his crossbow and aim it in the direction from which he heard the voice.

Any disposition on the healing changes? If you approve of them, by my calculations we should be at:
Sarrok 13
Carter 18
Kruhljack, poor Kruhljack we barely knew you
Hertz 18 (-3 of normal)
Oliana 10 (-1 of normal)
Deladus 30
Ziran 15 (-5 of normal)
Nalik 28 (-2 of normal)

new guy ?

lawful_evil
2007-07-11, 06:59 PM
Carter

Following the battle, Carter takes several deep breathes while looking around for any additional foes. Once half a minute or so goes by without further action, Carter wipes off the entrails from his trident and stows it and his shield taking the time to strap them onto his backpack.

Carter then pulls his flail out and begins walking around looking for Pvt Wynde and checking any Orcs he finds for life or loot. He deprives them of both.

{{ If I need a search/spot to loot any bodies, please roll (high) for me. }}

When Carter hears the new voice calling out for the fearless leader, he carefully moves towards the voice putting himself between the new comer and the rest of the team. Flail at the ready, Carter tries not to look too much like a wet dog.

dauphinous
2007-07-11, 08:34 PM
"Captain Mariska Heil. My orders are to bring this man to you. I have no further information."

Nalik:Peering through the trees, Nalik can see two figures standing just outside the forest. One is obviously female, and the taller and larger one is obviously male. The woman is shading her eyes from the rain. Her clothing, though partially wet, looks like the uniform of the Mage Corps of Highgate. You'll have to wait until Torger posts to find out what the man looks like.

{yeah, that change is fine}

anIceFan
2007-07-12, 02:19 AM
Nalik

Nalik takes a moment to think about this. He had just been in communication with command, and had no word of a new member of their party.

Deladus, Carter, keep watch on our flanks.
Aiming his crossbow at the pair, he says.
Greetings captain, forgive me if I do not solute yet. Is there any way that you or this man can confirm that you are from Highgate.

Assuming that she responds in the affirmative, still keeping his crossbow aimed at the two figures.

Step forward slowly and show me the evidence that you are to be trusted.

dauphinous
2007-07-12, 06:24 AM
She holds up her hands in a gesture to show that she is unarmed, and doesn't look the slightest bit annoyed by this, though she does look tired. "Private," she turns her head to address the man behind her, "you do have sealed orders on you, right? They at least gave you that, I hope."

Torger
2007-07-12, 04:24 PM
Hengist Magunsson

Crouching slightly in the low-hanging foliage, Hengist looms over his mageocratic escort. Though darkness occludes most of his features, several things are blatantly apparent. This man stands close to seven feet tall, moves rather nimbly on his feet, and seems to pass almost effortlessly through the dense undergrowth without a sound.

Moving forward into the circle of light, a hulking, blonde-haired man with a large beard (both arrayed in braids) is revealed. His icy blue eyes convey the message that he is unimpressed with being threatened in the middle of the night, and the broad-bladed boar spear he carries across his back seems to give some evidence to how he generally deals with threats. Moving with deliberate slowness, his maille shirt clinking as he shifts, Hengist produces a sealed document and wordlessly offers it to the crossbowman, obviously fairly comfortable, both with the rain, and with waiting his opponent out in this little staring contest.

anIceFan
2007-07-12, 06:32 PM
Nalik

Nalik is close to firing his crossbow, when he catches a glimpse of the Defenders armband on the newcomers sleeve. He reaches out to take the document, forcing the giant of a man to reach down to hand it to him.

{{assuming he likes what the document says}}

Welcome Private Magunsson. I am Corperal Nalik Stormbrow. Hopefully this is the last time I will mention rank. We need to be alert and mobile, so strict formality tends to get in the way. I suggest you get to know the rest of the team.

then to Captain Heil
Thank you Captain.

he will wait to see if there is anything more.

This is my last post until next week.

lawful_evil
2007-07-12, 06:57 PM
Carter

Upon hearing the command, Carter backs down and says, "Aye." He moves quickly off to the right flank, ruffling his soaking wet dark brown hair with his free hand. His long brown cloak clings to his banded mail and his backpack and large shield make it appear as though he has a bigger hump than Hertz.

One in positions, Carter paces back and forth like a caged tiger. Heavy flail in his grasp, his eyes search the surrounding for threats and the chance to crush something.

dauphinous
2007-07-12, 08:04 PM
The woman nods and casts a spell, then disappears. "Good luck," can be heard as she finishes the spell.

Torger
2007-07-12, 09:03 PM
Hengist Magnusson

Straitening up in the clearing, Hengist nods once. "So shall it be. The ranking system of you outlanders in meaningless to me, but if you've proven yourself strong enough to be called, 'leader,' it is rank enough." Hengist steps further into the circle of threatening people, seemingly unconcerned, but his eyes alert, and drops a second backpack, which lands with a heavy, squelching thud in the wet loam.

"I am Hengist Magnusson, and among my people I hold no rank or title above the honour of belonging to the Spear-Danes of Vinland. Long have I journeyed, through one full turning of the face of Máni, to reach your most formidable fortress. I am skilled in the travels of Freyr's lands, and in the hunting of his favoured creatures." His tone is matter of fact, and he speaks the names and symbology of the Gods as if he has had personal experience with them. To listen to him, one might think to look up at the moon and see Máni's face staring back, or to see Freyr stride from the woods.

oliana0
2007-07-12, 10:36 PM
Oliana

Oliana is momentarily distracted from her desire to get the thing that killed Elis by the entrance of the newcomer. When he comes into view, and pulls up to his full height her jaw crops slightly and she whispers, "wow."

I think even my cousins would be impressed with him. Thinking of her cousins reminds her of the last time she saw them and how Elis bore their jests. She shakes her head and blinks several times, the rain doing much to maintain the impression of her steely resolve.

"What now? How long are we staying here?"

Annalia
2007-07-12, 11:54 PM
Hertz

If Hengist is a tall man, Hertz is short and rather ugly. His spine twisted by a sickness of some sort, he walks hunched forward and with a huge bump. He walks with a strange gait, and is currently taking care of the horses. In fact, one might think he is nothing more than a squire at the moment. He has no armour, and carries only two dirty javelins on his back. He glances at the giant, and smiles slightly. Reinforcement. Good, we'll likely need it.

raspberrybadger
2007-07-13, 01:22 AM
Ziran Blueboots

The walnut skinned Gnome with bright blue eyes and dark blue boots tugs at his beard, which hasn't been shaved in a few days, and says (perhaps to himself, perhaps not) "Now if that captain had gotten here a minute earlier, this could have been really funny."

Taking a moment to study the new arrival, he thinks to himself with his eyes still bright So we get a new defender. With a pointy stick, which is good for keeping other things with pointy sticks at bay. Good thing its not me in charge of making sure he learns our teamwork - we've been fraying enough as it is. I'm guessing he isn't the sort who thinks pincer on pincer combat is funny either, and definitely not the sort who thinks scorpions are funny just for existing. I wonder what he would be amused by.

WarBrute
2007-07-13, 01:23 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok stands shocked over Kruhjak's corpse. It seemed so odd that such a strong and large man could die so quietly. Sarrok opens his mounth to say something but is interupted by the new arrival.

Sarrok is obvisoulsly annoyed by the arrogance, the gnome stands up from Kruhjak's body saying "Well then Mr. Magnussan, how about as your first job as part of the defenders, you can help me dig a grave for our late comrade. Less his bodied fall into the wroung hands as did Elis'.

Holocron Coder
2007-07-13, 05:13 AM
Deladus

Deladus looks up at the newcomer, unable to help but be impressed by his height, if not his attitude. Not standing nearly so tall himself, Deladus is still at a decent height. Since the threats seem to have temporarily passed, he replaces his shield and warhammer before stretching his large arms and walking over to Sarrok.

"Yes, burying... sounds like a good idea. But we must be quick about it. We don't know if or when that thing may come back with reinforcements," he states, looking for something to dig with, as he lacked a shovel.

Torger
2007-07-13, 09:08 AM
Hengist

Hengist nods once and draws a spade from the bundle on the ground. Walking over toward the irate-sounding gnome, he takes in the size of the corpse, and selects a spot to dig.

"He died well, in battle, I take it?" His tone still level, and his dords punctuated by the squelch of his shovel through the damp earth.

Annalia
2007-07-13, 09:46 AM
Hertz

"No." Hertz tone is dark and bitter. Krulhjak would have deserved to die with his flail in hand, at least. "Krulhjak was a warrior, and a good and disciplined one at that. Yet tonight he died sprawled on the ground, slipping in the mud, and hit by a ball of fire so fast he did not even have the time to stand up." Hertz removes part of the mud that clung to him when he tumbled between the two orcs. "Be aware, Master Magnusson, that we do not always choose how we die, and that if you came here seeking such a glorious end, you may have surprises."

Torger
2007-07-13, 10:01 AM
Hengist

Hengist frowned at the mention of a faceless death. "Humph. Nonetheless, if he lived as a warrior, he will be called to Valhalla and feast in the hall of Odin." Hengist dug in silence for a momnet before continuing. "I must admit... This outlander practice of burial seems unseemly to me... Among my people, the dead are mounted upon a skiff, and set adrift along the swan-road with a fire lit above them. Like the life of a warrior, or any good man, the fire burns hot, bright, and burns out far too fast. So was it, I think, with your fallen friend."

Hengist pauses in his digging to mop his streaming face with a soaked sleeve. "If it is acceptable to you, I should like to light a pyre for him, when we are given leisure. It is the way of the warrior." His comments are directed to no one in particular, as he climbs into the deepening hole, neither expecting, nor asking for aid in its construction. For a time, the only indicator of his continued presence is the sound of his spade sliding through damp earth, or the occasional thump of his axe as he severs an offending tree-root.

dauphinous
2007-07-13, 10:10 AM
As Hengist digs, the rain lessens considerably, then stops. The first light of predawn, while not actually visible here in the mountain pass, begins to paint the narrow sliver of sky overhead.

oliana0
2007-07-13, 11:04 AM
Oliana

Recognizing the wait was going to be long, when the rain stops, Oliana does her best to dry off. Her robe is mostly mud free, but very wet. She removes it and shivers slightly at the prospect. A warm fire may be a good idea for the group of cold wet adventurers.

"The rain will not help things much with the fire, but I can do my best. Any special formation you'd like?"

Oliana finds the process comforting as she collects burnable material and stacks it as necessary to burn despite the downpour from earlier.

So, Oliana's previous employment allows her to start a fire pretty much anywhere, right? I've been working on that assumption. :smallwink:

dauphinous
2007-07-15, 02:56 PM
As the dirt is shoveled back into the hole to cover Kruhljak's body, the sky lightens with dawn. By the time you are finished with that chore, the day has begun in earnest.

oliana0
2007-07-17, 12:31 PM
Oliana

"What's the plan, Nalik?"

lawful_evil
2007-07-18, 06:33 AM
Carter

Carter is content to stay on guard duty while the others dug the hole for Private Wynde.

I never really cared for you, but I wouldn't have wanted you dead either...

Back and forth, Carter slowly paces the camp's flank, guarding it against little birdies and such.

*snap* *crack* Hey! What was that? Something is in those bushes watching us...

Carter calls out to the remaining Defenders, "Defenders to arms!" Carter begins to swing his flail high overhead building momentum as he steps forward intimidating the bush. Suddenly a small grey-white rabbit lunges out of the bush and upon seeing Carter turns and bounds off to the right.

With a great sigh, Carter slowly lowers his weapon and turns red-faced back to the group, saying, "Um, okay false alarm.".

Maybe I need a little sleep.

anIceFan
2007-07-18, 01:17 PM
Nalik

Nalik sits in quiet contemplation as a pit is dug to bury Kruhljack. Searching for a silver lining, he decides that at least this will teach to new guy to work with the team. Once their comrade has been interred in the ground,he will rise and move over to the mound.
Keep your fire small. Kruhljack deserves better, but there is no need to advertise that we are still here. I will speak a few words over our fallen brother. He intones Oh Thor, accept our comrade into your halls. Today another mighty soul has joined your ranks.

He will then step back and watch Oliana's fire for a moment before turning to Hengist.
Hengist you are skilled at travel, can you track? We were recently attacked by a creature that has taken on the countenance of one of our fallen comrades. We saw him take off in that direction. points.

Defenders, form up.

Annalia
2007-07-18, 01:37 PM
Hertz

Readying the horses, Hertz silently falls into position and prepares to go after the fake Elis. He kept to himself through the digging, jumping at Carter's false alert but otherwise watching the sun raise deep in thoughts.

Torger
2007-07-18, 04:53 PM
Hengist

Slightly startled by the sudden flames that erupt from a pile of sodden deadfall, Hengist watches his new pyromaniacle comrade warily as Thor is invoked over the fallen. Hengist bows his head in silence for a moment before answering the address of the apparent leader. Still uncomfortable with the Outlanders' ranking system, he merely nods. With a grunt, he retrieves his second pack and staggers slightly under the weight. Settling it on his shoulders, he trudges off in the assigned direction, peering intently at the ground and cursing the rain.

Search +6, Survival +6, with the intent to track. I'm on foot, with a heavy load, moving at half-speed, so it might be slow going (100'/minute, roughly)

dauphinous
2007-07-19, 06:13 AM
Hengist cannot find anything within the trees, probably because Elisathalan didn't touch the ground here, but he checks on the other end of the forest, where the pocket ends and the narrow pass resumes. He can find a pair of bootprints with a slight heaviness to them, suggesting that someone probably jumped from above and landed there. There are also several tracks of slightly larger booted feet going in both directions - some seem older than others. The smaller boots, though, there is no other sign of them.

Unlike the pass on the other side of the forested pocket, the walls here are rough and seem natural. The pass varies in width from 3 feet wide to about 10 feet wide, and twists and turns through the mountains. The floor of this part of the pass is uneven and covered in mud and small rocks.

WarBrute
2007-07-19, 09:21 AM
Sarrok Balderk

"they may have set more traps ahead. Sarrok said with a flat tone. He assumed his normal postion 15 feet of the rest of the party.

Search for traps in pass 1d20+6=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1158628)

anIceFan
2007-07-19, 11:11 AM
Nalik

when the group reaches the other side of the pocket, Nalik is pleased to see that Sarrok takes his point without needing to be told. Maybe we will work ourselves into a unit after all.
He gives the rest of the marching order to the group.
Hengist, you follow Sarrok. He can find traps, and you see if you can determine anything about the tracks. Deladus, you are after Hengist.. Hertz, Oliana, and Ziran you take the center, keep your eyes on the top of ths pass. I don't want an ambush from above. Carter, you bring up the rear, with me right in front. Lets be careful people. I don't want any accidents.

oliana0
2007-07-19, 11:12 AM
Oliana

Oliana verifies the fire won't take out the forest, and then collects her belongings and readies for the trip. She's a little impatient to be on their way.

Seeing Hengist struggling under his load while tracking she offers, "Do you need me to carry anything? I mean, I can't carry much, and will drop it immediatly if we are attacked...."

Holocron Coder
2007-07-19, 02:51 PM
Deladus

Giving a grinning salute at the order, Deladus trails behind their giant companion. I hope he doesn't expect me to see much. Can't even see past this guy.

As they walk through the natural pass, Deladus actively scans the walls to his sides, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Torger
2007-07-19, 04:29 PM
Hengist

As marching orders are given, Hengist begins to protest. It will be rather difficult to track anything when you refuse to let me take point. All I will be able to follow is him. He points to Sarrok, and shrugs his shoulders indifferently. Shifting his pack with a grunt, he starts following the partially obliterated trail, scowling as new tracks cover the old.

Hengist seems startled at the offer from Oliana. Thank you, no. I will bear my own burdens for the moment. My horse was unable to make the journey with me, so I am left as my own pack animal. He smiled faintly through his massive beard before turning back to the trail.

WarBrute
2007-07-19, 05:18 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Maybe he is right Nalik." The gnome said glaring up at Hengist(rather comical looking for Sarrok head just bearly past Hengist's belt) his voice dripping with sarcasm "It would make my job much easier, he could blunder ahead setting off all the sinsister traps that may have been laid, and the rest of us could continue on with out fear of harm"

Annalia
2007-07-19, 11:37 PM
Hertz

"We have our own horses, Hengist. Ampere can take a bit more, I'm sure, and Kruhljak's horse is now without rider. They can help carry your things, if you want to." Hertz interjects, silently hoping that it'll take off the attention off Sarrock's sarcastic remark. They hardly had the time to bicker, and Hengist didn't look like the kind of man to take kindly to the comment.

lawful_evil
2007-07-20, 08:20 AM
Carter

*giggle*

Carter, stuck again in rear guard doesn't have to worry about traps and such. Carter mutters to himself under his breathe, "Maybe Sarrok should ride on Hengist's shoulders or walk side by side holding hands."

Carter smiles to himself at that image and then looks around a bit to make sure no one is sneaking up on the group.

Torger
2007-07-20, 08:52 AM
Hengist

Hengist glowers down at the little man for several long moments before releasing a laugh that is like rolling thunder. You are brave, small one, and do not show fear. We shall get along nicely. Hengist pats the gnome firmly on the shoulder. I should be able to identify any traps along our path. However, I may require more nimble fingers to disable them.

Hengist nods once in acknowledgment to the hunchback, distributing his extraneous equipment in the saddlebags of the vacant horse. He then takes it upon himself to take point, looking for signs of passage and telltales of snares, deadfalls, and the like, keeping a keen ear to the forest around him.

Move Silently +7, search +6, spot +5, listen +5, survival +6

oliana0
2007-07-20, 10:58 AM
Oliana

Oliana stiffles a laugh as her keen ear pick up on some fairly amusing imagery under the breath of a compatriot. The amusement lasts a full 5 minutes and then she falls back into the realm of impatience.

anIceFan
2007-07-20, 12:10 PM
Nalik

Nalik hears the dispute from the front, but is unable to move forward to intervene. When we camp tonight, if we camp tonight, it is time for another talk about teamwork.

dauphinous
2007-07-20, 01:03 PM
As Hengist moves forward, he is unable to relocate the tracks, or any sign at all of the passing of the person with the smaller boots. The slightly larger tracks are easy to follow, though, and just head through the pass.

Maybe 100 feet away from where the forest ended, there is a crack and a rumbling sound, then there is just enough time for those in the front to try to spring out of the path of a tumbling wall of rock.

{
Hengist, Sarrok, and Deladus need to make Ref saves, DC 15. Failure means getting trapped under the rocks. Success means you don't. Roll a 1d4 also, but I'm not telling you what it's for.
}

Torger
2007-07-20, 02:20 PM
Hengist

Odin's eye! With a startled oath, Hengist flings himself forward out of the path of the crashing stones, and pulls a bow from under his cloak, stringing it.

Reflex Save and d4 roll (1d20+7=17, 1d4=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1161395)

WarBrute
2007-07-20, 02:55 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok attempts to jump aside but is unable manuver and becomes traped under the rocks.

1d20+6=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1161476) 1d4=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1161481)

oliana0
2007-07-20, 03:28 PM
Oliana

The hair on the back of Oliana's neck stands up, and the sound hits her: falling rocks. She sheilds her eyes from the intial airborn debris, but quickly movest to help free the entangled Defenders.

Untrained roll to know which rocks to move to avoid a second collapse [roll0] (or whatever, it's +4 and untrained, unless it's local (hah) and then it's trained and +8)

raspberrybadger
2007-07-20, 05:30 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran figures that any attempt by someone his size and strength to deal with all those rocks would be laughable, so he starts thinking where the rope is and how he could get his pony, or one of the bigger horses, to do any towing or lifting required.

Holocron Coder
2007-07-21, 02:05 PM
Thanking his keen ear, Deladus quickly jumps out of the way of the falling debris. Once the dust settles, he turns his muscles to helping free any of his trapped comrades.

[roll0]
[roll1]

dauphinous
2007-07-21, 03:16 PM
Hengist and Deladus manage to avoid getting caught in the falling rocks by moving forwards and backwards, respectively, while Sarrok, who likely had his view of impending danger blocked by the massive man in front of him, is buried completely. The rocks tumble down to fill the pass up to about 10 feet on the far side, maybe 3 or 4 feet higher on the side the collapse came from. A huge cloud of dust results from it, obscuring vision in the area.

Sarrok is not visible from either side of the big pile of rocks.

Sarrok:No lethal damage, but 6 points nonlethal, and Sarrok is pinned. He's pretty sure that trying to free himself would be a Bad IdeaTM.
Oliana:Looking up to get an idea of the continued danger, Oliana catches sight of Elisathalan through the dust cloud, about 40 feet up on a small ledge, blowing her a kiss with a grin, then turning and disappearing. If you can beat 20 on an initiative check, you can take a standard action before he disappears.

raspberrybadger
2007-07-21, 10:39 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Initiative (1d20+2=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1164062)

Ziran reaches for his spell component pouch - and his target is already gone. So, he gets down to rigging the two spare horses to provide whatever muscle is needed. (between his saddlemaking skill and his handle animal skill, I'm hoping he can figure out a proper way to get tow ropes onto them in a way that won't hurt them.)

Unless Nalik orders the party to split and half to chase Not Elis, he gets down to the business of overseeing the animals' contribution to digging out the rubble, at least once it is clear that Sarrok didn't make it out either side of the rubble.

oliana0
2007-07-22, 12:00 AM
Oliana

"You!!" Oliana calls out and reaches to her waist to grap the wand, but Not Elis gets away before she can finish drawing the wand. "He did this."

[roll0]
Will fill out action after roll.

anIceFan
2007-07-22, 01:46 AM
Nalik

Nalik is horrified when the side of the pass collapses on his team. When he reaches the site of the collapse, he sees Deladus but not Sarrok or Hengist.
Sarrok, Hengist, can you hear me?

Assuming that Hengist responds that he is ok, and Sarrok either doesn't respond or responds that he is trapped, Nalik will look at the rocks and try to determine the best way to remove them without damaging the gnome.

Torger
2007-07-22, 10:42 AM
Hengist

Seeing no immediate danger, Hengist calls back to his associates. I am unharmed. What of the others

Hearing the shouts of worry from the others, Hengists gathers that at least one of the others is trapped beneath the rocks, and begins to shift the rocks from the top of the pile as fast as he can manage.

Strength check? If so, Strength Check (1d20+2=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1165102)

If not, I can lift 351 pounds off the ground, and push/drag 877 lbs.

dauphinous
2007-07-22, 12:03 PM
Hengist grabs a rock and pulls, causing the pile to shift in a downward direction, settling into the vacated spot.

Nalik:Go, go Gadget Dwarf! Nalik is pretty sure that the rocks will have to be removed from the top first, and Hengist's efforts generally prove that. Assuming he has enough air to breathe, there should be no further injury to Sarrok if it is done quickly.

Sarrok:The rocks seemed stable for a moment, then they shifted again. With the rocks pushing down so much, it is tough to breathe. Con check, please.

anIceFan
2007-07-23, 03:15 PM
Nalik

Hearing no response from Sarrok, Nalik comes to the conclusion that he is trapped amid the rubble. Looking at the pile, he sees that removing debris from the bottom, will only cause stones above to fall into their place. Instead he scrambles up to the top of the pile and begins to remove rocks from there.

Can anyone else get up here? We need to remove rocks from the top down.

Hengist is the only one who could really pursue not-Elis right now correct? Nalik will not want him to, even if he can.

Not sure if I need a climb check on the rubble, but
[roll0]
dice don't fail me now

lawful_evil
2007-07-23, 05:39 PM
Carter

oh no!

Carter hunches over to let his shield(strapped to his back) protect him in case any more rocks fall.

*cough cough*

Once its clear that the rocks have stopped and the dust starts to clear, Carter says, "Did anyone see what happened?"

In case it was the precursor to an attack Carter takes a couple steps back away from the fallen rocks and turns to keep an eye on the rear to make sure no surprises sneak up on the party.

dauphinous
2007-07-23, 06:04 PM
It takes about 20 minutes to get close enough to the bottom that Nalik can see gnomish fingers and Hengist can see a little boot. It is another 5 minutes before they uncover Sarrok enough so he can get the rest of the way free.

Vigilant eyes looking in every direction see nothing but a bird of prey circling overhead in lazy figure 8's.

anIceFan
2007-07-23, 06:45 PM
Nalik

Once the rubble is cleared above Sarrok, Nalik will check examine him right where he is at. He will pull a healers kit from his pack, and clean and tend any wounds that he finds.

Use healers kit to restore hit points
[roll0]

So, that should restore 9 HP to Sarrok. Nalik's wis is +3. He gets any extra for 1 hour.
D' did I use that skill correctly? I am a bit concerned each time i try these for the first time.

WarBrute
2007-07-24, 10:37 AM
Sarrok Balderk

As the gnome is puled out of the rocks he coughs and sputters. "Theres no permanent damage done. I just feel lik its the day after I drank all my fathers favorite ale." He allows Nalik to tend to his bumbs and bruises.

oliana0
2007-07-24, 03:06 PM
Oliana

Oliana curses under her breath in Oricish, then again in elf. She tries to be helpful with the rock clearing, but all she manages to do is make herself more anxious about the whole thing.

lawful_evil
2007-07-24, 03:29 PM
Carter

When he hears Sarrok's voice, Carter turns towards the rock slide again and stands on his tippy-toes to try and see. However, with all the tall people in the way and the subject being so small he is unable to get more than a fleeting glimpse.

Carter walks back away from the group 10 feet or so to get a slightly better view of the cliffs further down the trail. Once his curiosity is sated he turns back around and continues to watch the rear.

Torger
2007-07-24, 05:23 PM
Hengist

Hengist steps back from the demihuman after clearing the last of the rocks. You are uninjured, then. You are more resiliant than one would think, small one.

Hengist begins helping the remainder of the band over the rockpile while Sarrok is being treated.

anIceFan
2007-07-26, 12:06 PM
Nalik

With Sarrok back to full strength, Nalik takes a moment to reflect on the happenings of the last hours. He realizes that the group is being led into danger by others, and the time and place of the encounters are someone else's decisions.

He says loud enough to be heard by the group, and maybe a little further.
Elis will be too far ahead now. We have told command where their camp is, lets return to base.

as he is saying this, he will try and make eye contact with each member of the group to let them see that he is BS'ing.

As the group heads back towards the trees. He will speak to Sarrok, Oliana, and Hengist, individually.

I want you to stop once we are into the trees. Be prepared and watch our backtrail. If you see that creature pretending to be Elis, make him a pincusion. Oliana, I want you to help because you have the best eyes.

I probably shouldn't do this, and I am not sure it is needed but.
[roll0]
Darn Dwarf with no Charisma.

Yay, 2 on a bluff check. I love dice rollers.

oliana0
2007-07-26, 04:57 PM
Oliana

Seeing through Nalik's attempt, Oliana tries to help him out a little by trying to go along with him. Oliana winks at Nalik to show her understanding, and proceeds.

"You'll cannot detain me from this mission. I will find this creature pretending to be our friend and I will kill him myself--with or without your help."

Oliana then turns and tries to galantly climb up the stack of rocks in such a way that she falls from no great height (say 5-8') and is easily detained by any party member.

"NO!!!!" Oliana will then fein a struggle and even go so far as to slug someone larger than she is.

Once they are in the trees, Oliana will calm down and listen to Nalik, and do as he says.

You'll have to bind and gag her. Politely of course.
Not sure what to roll here. Bluff assist? Climb check? Tumble? Strength? She's probably not going to pass any of those rolls, but she's going to have fun trying.
(Bluff -1, Climb +0, Tumble +2 (untrained) Strength +0)

WarBrute
2007-07-26, 11:26 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok suprresses a smile a Nalik's feeble attempt to lie. My father could never lie with a straight face either... must be a dwarf thing. He thinks to himself as he runs his hand over his face.

"Olinana, you foolish women!" he shouts to her as she tries to climb the pile of rocks. "Elis , has become to powerful for us to manage, our only hope is to retreat!" He reaches for Oilana's leg and attetmps to drag out of the moutain pass.

Bluff check 1d20+7=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1174799)

raspberrybadger
2007-07-27, 03:36 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran resists the urge to break out laughing at Nalik's attempt, though long unconscious practice at holding his emotions in helps with this. When Oliana makes her attempt to help with the deception, Ziran's reaction is unfeigned - he rushes to help her and get her to safety. He knows humans don't die from minor tumbles like that, but his reaction to possible peril is real enough.

Once Oliana is clearly safe, he prepares to follow the lead of whatever plan develops.

Holocron Coder
2007-07-27, 05:12 AM
Deladus

Deladus hides a grin and "retreats" along with the rest of the group, assuming Sarrok and Ziran can handle Oliana's mock bravado.

I hope this works... We need any advantage we can get, it seems.

lawful_evil
2007-07-27, 05:30 AM
Carter

Once the party gets facing the new direction, Carter resumes his rearguard position. From there he keeps looking back hopeful he will catch a glimpse of the foes before they start shooting arrows at us.

dauphinous
2007-07-27, 06:35 AM
Oliana, after scrabbling up the side of the passage a few feet, is restrained without harm to herself or anyone else. The group makes it back to the cover of the trees without seeing, hearing, or feeling anything except rock, trees, the bird overhead, and dirt. The bird overhead does not seem to be following you specifically, just making its lazy figure eights across the sky.

Torger
2007-07-28, 09:46 AM
Hengist

Having taken the orders at face value, and having no idea, really, who it was they were chasing, Hengist brings up the rear over the rock pile, just it time to see the two gnomes attempting to bring down the slim girl who was nice enough to offer to assist him. As she breaks free of the gnomes and attempts to scramble back up the skree slope, Hengist grabs ahold of her and attempts to restrain her, bearing the ineffectual blows she rains upon him with good grace.

Oh no, not today. We will withdraw with the others.

Hengist hoists the still-struggling girl over his shoulder and follows the rest of the party. Once under tree cover, Hengist is slightly surprised by the lack of struggling on the part of his comrade, and after being addressed by Nalik, begins to grok the plan. Wordlessly, silently, he sets Oliana on the ground and pulls a stout recurved bow from under his cloak. Concealed in the underbrush, he does note the rather odd circling of some bird or another overhead.

Hide, Move silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Know(Nature) untrained (1d20+6=15, 1d20+7=22, 1d20+5=14, 1d20+6=11, 1d20+5=18, 1d20+1=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1177511)

I'll roll a grapple check of Oliana, if I need to, but I'm just going to assume it worked out. I'm watching the path and listening for pursuit, looking for signs of passage (other than ours), and trying to identify the bird, and whether or not I should shoot it for behaving oddly,

anIceFan
2007-07-30, 05:52 PM
Nalik

After waiting an hour for not-Elis to show up, Nalik gathers the group together.

I believe this creature that is pretending to be Elis is trying to lure us into a trap. He is taunting us, trying to stay just out of our reach so that we continue along behind him. I have seen trainers use this practice on dogs when I was a child. The difference in this situation is that we are not dogs, and we are prepared for him.
We are going to continue our march through this pass in the order that I set. Looks at Hengist While we are in the pass, there will be no need for tracking. Sarrok, I want you to take the point. Watch the path ahead and ensure that there are no traps that we are walking into. Hengist I want you to follow and keep your eyes on the top of the pass, I believe that is where our danger will come from. If you see any movement up there alert us at once. Oliana, you have good eyes, end Elis seems to enjoy taunting you. It should be safe enough in the pass to move you up behind Hengist. The rest, use the same order as before.
We have lost too many members of this group because they were acting for their own good. If we all do our prescribed jobs, we will get through this.

Nalik then gets up and prepares to move out.

This all assumes not Elis does not come back.
marching order is
Sarrok
Hengist
Oliana
Deladus,
Hertz
Ziran
Nalik
Carter

dauphinous
2007-07-30, 06:55 PM
As Sarrok starts back out of the trees, the bird overhead takes an abrupt turn and skims away quickly in the direction you are intending to head.

{if anyone wants to, they can take a shot at the bird at 220 feet away}

Holocron Coder
2007-08-02, 05:17 AM
Deladus

Deladus frowns as the bird darts away. Much too far for my sling to be at all accurate...

In the mild hope that someone else can do something about it, he points out, "Well, if that bird isn't suddenly very suspicious, I don't know what is..."

dauphinous
2007-08-02, 06:49 AM
The bird disappears from sight quickly, flying amongst the mountaintops. The group begins the slow, careful trek back through the pass, reaching the site of the rockfall without incident. The most notable thing to be mentioned here is that there is no sign of the earlier rockfall. The pass is completely free of loose rock where you know the slide happened. In fact, were it not for the contour of the ledge overhead, the scrapes on the rock walls, and the many multi-sized bootprints here that just stop, you would never know this was the place.

oliana0
2007-08-02, 02:04 PM
Oliana

"I will be far happier when this thing is caught and made to pay for his actions. Things made more sense before we started following him."

WarBrute
2007-08-03, 12:17 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok frowns as the birds swoops a head of them. He mumbles to himself "Thats odd..." then he says a loud"Did Mira not have a similar bird. I can't be certain... But with Elis running around...Can we rule out anything... He trails off his eyes fixed forward.

oliana0
2007-08-03, 10:00 AM
Oliana

"If that is it's familiar, it can't be more than a mile away from it and still have it be helpful for it to be spying on us."

lawful_evil
2007-08-03, 10:09 AM
Carter

At the back of the formation, Carter pretty much just follows everyone else, but occasionally, he'll notice something.

"Say, shouldn't there be a bunch of rocks here? Did some giants come clean up the pass while we were gone? Did the bad guys dump illusionary rocks on us? Did they use telekinesis to pull the rocks back up to the top of the cliff? Maybe the rain caused a flash flood which washed them away in the 2 hours we were gone?"

The thought of more rocks falling causes Carter to look up and check the rear again.

anIceFan
2007-08-03, 03:51 PM
Nalik

Nalik will examine the area where the rocks should have fallen.

Sorry, I have been real busy lately and on top of that my whole family is sick right now (including me). I should probably do some checks/rolls here, but I don't have the brain cells available to think of them.

dauphinous
2007-08-04, 06:35 AM
A careful study of the site reveals no further information. There do not seem to be any oddities in the rock walls here, nor are there any unexpected tracks. Hengist can tell that all the bootprints here are either of what are presumed to be orcs - the trail noted previously - or your group. Sarrok does not notice anything amiss, either.

Torger
2007-08-04, 08:18 AM
Hengist

Hengist stoops down to examine the tracks, muddles by the passage of gnomes and the falling of rocks.

The spoor is obscured by the bootprints of others. I cannot tell what has happened here.

Casting a slightly mutinous glance at the dwarf, Hengist resumes his survey of the upper reaches of the chasm, an arrow nocked, but not drawn.

raspberrybadger
2007-08-06, 05:41 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pipes up, saying "Ah, pardon my ignorance of proper military procedure, but are we actually required to walk into the next trap? We survived the last couple, but, well, repeatedly walking into traps sounds more like an orc thing than the sort of thing intelligent people do without good reason. Can we, say, go around these traps and try to pick up the trail later? I mean, whats the chance that we won't get another pile of rocks, or worse, dropped on us, if we keep going like usual? Or, if we've really got to follow, lets at least try to spring the trap on something that isn't, say, us."

Annalia
2007-08-06, 07:27 PM
Hertz

Hands on the reins of the two pack horses, Hertz was studying the mountain side carefully. He didn't like the idea of walking into a series of trap much, and Nalik was right: they could hardly afford it. "They were already aware we were coming, and now they know we didn't turn back. The only thing that really changed to our situation is that now we're aware they have a welcome prepared for us."

Holocron Coder
2007-08-06, 08:04 PM
Deladus

Frowning, Deladus scans the visible horizon and comments, "Whether we like it or not, it is something that must be done. We tried the stealthiest way we could and they were still prepared for us. Short of being teleported right onto our objective, we seem to be stuck sprining these traps carefully."

anIceFan
2007-08-07, 07:07 PM
Nalik

We know we are walking into a trap. We will do our best to spring it in a manner that is advantageous to us. Lets continue on.

dauphinous
2007-08-08, 08:16 AM
Moving past the spot, you walk on through the twisting, turning crevasse for another half hour without incident. It is at this point that it becomes obvious that the temperature has been steadily increasing. It is quite hot here, certainly moreso than it was back at the forest. The sun is shining, but you all (except perhaps Hengist) know this is extreme for this time of year.

{
It's about 115 degrees, very dry heat.
It's mid-Spring.
}

Annalia
2007-08-08, 03:34 PM
Hertz

Plodding along silently, Hertz brushed off the sweat from his brow and looked at the two horses sweating heavily beside him. Things were getting much too hot for them - and for everyone. Not much we can do about that.

lawful_evil
2007-08-09, 06:21 AM
Carter

Ugh. Carter slowly walks along roasting in his armor. Hey.. isn't it supposed to be spring?

Carter hisses, "Sir, maybe its this armor, but something about this heat doesn't see right. Maybe we could send a runner back the way we came to check if this heat is a local phenomenom or if its really this hot all over this mountain pass this early in the spring."

Carter looks around and then adds, "I've never been in this mountain pass before, but I'd think it would be quite cool in the mountain pass shadow right after a rainy night. If it was going to be hot, it should be oppressively humid. Does anyone know if Elisathalan could do mind affecting magic? Maybe this is all a bad dream?"

Carter pants a bit and hopes for a breeze to cool him down.

dauphinous
2007-08-09, 07:55 AM
As if in response to Carter's wish, a breeze blows through the pass, coming from up ahead. It is not, however, a cool, refreshing breeze. Scorching hot, it feels like it might burn your lungs.

{
Everyone gets to make a Fort save DC 15, or 19 for those wearing armor. Endurance applies, and a successful Survival check DC 15 gives a +2 bonus (see the skill for more info, under the 'severe weather' entry).
Failure = 1d4 nonlethal damage.
}

oliana0
2007-08-09, 09:22 AM
Oliana

As the heat grows, Oliana slips out of her oppressive robe and shoves it into her pack. "I agree, this cannot be natural," escapes her lips just before the scorching wind blows through.

"Ow." Oliana coughs a bit and covers her mouth with her cowl, attempting to protect her lungs from the heat.

[roll0]
[roll1] (She's not likely to beat a DC 15)
[roll2] To see what sort of magical fun this is.

lawful_evil
2007-08-09, 10:28 AM
Carter

Ah.. refres..

*cough cough*

Ugh. Carter raises his shield around to, hopefully, divert most of the burning wind around him. Once he has the shield in place, he hunches down as much as he can behind it and switchs out his heavy flail for a sword.

Survive, Survive, Survive the burning wind! (1d20+1=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1200453)
Breath, Breath, Breath in the burning wind! (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1200456)

Torger
2007-08-09, 10:54 AM
Hengist

Hengist shifts his shirt or gleaming ring-mail uncomfortable, sweat running down his face and into his beard. Accursed outland weather...

Hengist turns slightly to fish his waterskin from its hanging place on his back, only to be assaulted by the searing wind. Turning his back fully and crouching low, Hengist attempts to endure the thermal assault without comment.

Survival (1d20+6=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1200478)

Fort Save (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1200485)

So. This may suck a lot, eh?

anIceFan
2007-08-09, 11:48 AM
Nalik

What is wrong with them. Don't they realize that I can feel the heat too. We must move on! We must find the creature pretending to be Elis and eliminate him! They are right though, we will not go much farther in this heat without a break.

Nalik is just about to call a halt to drink some water, when the searing heat is made even worse by the arrival of a scorching wind.

[roll0] plus 2 depending on v
[roll1]
[roll2]

he is able to avoid damage to himself from the wind, but he notices that others in the group are beginning to feel more harmful effects.

He takes a drink of water before addressing the group.
I agree this heat is un-natural. Lets move back a distance to discuss this. Carter that is a great Idea, you are in the rear, double time it back to see if it is cooler the way we came.

I am guessing Carter didn't get damage from the wind

Holocron Coder
2007-08-09, 02:07 PM
Deladus

Mentally griping at the volumes of sweat coating his clothes under his armor, Deladus keeps his quiet at the change in heat. That is, until the scorching breeze passes through.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Already scorched from the opressive heat, Deladus grunts in pain as the heat causes his metal to heat up, burning slightly along where the metal touches his skin.

At Carter's order to temporarily fall back, Deladus does so quickly, taking a drink from his waterskin to quench his parched throat.

lawful_evil
2007-08-09, 03:21 PM
Carter

Upon hearing the order, Carter sighs to himself. He peeks his head back above the shield and raises an eyebrow at Nalik.

Oh, sure, make the guy with the most armor and the slowest footspeed run back and check it out. Why not make that weirdo go? He's fast on his feet.

Carter turns and stands up straight, readies himself for his hussle, takes a deep breathe,*cough cough*, and starts running.

Carter stops about 15 seconds out, maybe 200 feet away, and turns around with his hands in the air. Rather than call out and potentially alert the enemy, Carter makes dramatic hand and arm gestures beckoning everyone towards him.

Torger
2007-08-09, 04:10 PM
Hengist

Hengist notices the others sagging under the oppressive blow of the searing wind, and turns to address his nominal commander, only to find him calling them back. Hengist allows Sarrok to pass him, and then swells himself as much as he's able, trying to break the searing wind and allow the others to escape. His overpowering confidence in the superiority of his Vinlandish upbringing and faith that the gods are personally interested in his wellbeing leading him to be more reckless than is truly wise.

Go back, all of you!He roars over the howl of the wind, his voice cracked from the dryness. I will cover our withdrawl from this wind of Muspelheim. Clearly, there is witchcraft at work here. The last part is muttered, almost as if to himself as he turns his back on the gale and tries to fill as much of the canyon as he can.

WarBrute
2007-08-09, 10:07 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sweat stains Sarrok leather in dark blotches, but he continues down the path determined to show no sign of weakness. Sweat makes his already dark hair darker.

The scorching wind blows his hair in to an arc as he dips his head silghtly. He bites down hard on his lower lip and narrows his eyes prepared to soldier on. at Nalik's words however he straightens, turns and heads back. As he passes Hengist he pats him on the back of the knee saying "You are a chivalric one."

Fort save 1d20+3=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1201517)

Annalia
2007-08-10, 12:25 AM
Hertz - making the save (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1946)!

Hertz keeps silent as the burning wind passes through the company, enduring the heat surprisingly well. Not really paying attention to the others, he's caught by surprise by Nalik's order to turn around. It takes him a bit of time to actually get the horses to turn, and with a sighs he plods off after Carter and the others.

raspberrybadger
2007-08-10, 07:06 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Fort, Survival, Damage (1d20+4=19, 1d20=15, 1d4=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1201950)

Ziran doesn't really like the heat, but his sturdy Gnomish constitution is bearing up well enough under it. When he first feels the heat, he says in a soft voice Ware alchemical fire - orcs were carrying it earlier." He then redoubles his efforts to spot ambushers or anything else dangerous (spot checks as appropriate).

dauphinous
2007-08-10, 07:41 AM
The hasty retreat takes you all out of the oppressive heat. It feels much like walking slowly away from an enormous fire. When the rest of you reach where Carter is, the heat is much less, though the air is still quite warm.

This portion of the pass does not seem to have any ledges overhead, with the walls of it just twisting up and away into the sky.

anIceFan
2007-08-10, 12:18 PM
Nalik

Lets move back a little further. I am now convinced that this heat is not natural. I am going to try and push forward to see if I can not find the source.

Nalik will move back with the group until he feels they are at a safe distance, then he will say a prayer to Thor for protection from the heat. If anyone volunteers, he will include them in the spell.

cast resistance for +1 on saves. 1 turn undead for a volunteer.

[roll0]
[roll1]

moving forward into the oppressive heat, Nalik is barely able to get to the same point the group was at previously before he is forced to turn back.

It is too soon after leaving the heat. I will take a moment and try again.

He will pull out his water bottle and take a drink.

lawful_evil
2007-08-10, 01:15 PM
Carter

Carter relaxes in the relative coolness for several moments while everyone else hustles back this way. Once Nalik's orders are given, Carter presses himself against the (cool?) cliff wall so the others can pass by.

Once done, Carter puts himself into the rear of the formation again.

Annalia
2007-08-13, 01:00 AM
Hertz

"If this heat is magical, we need to find the source, and close it somehow." Hertz states as Nalik comes back, though he's perfectly aware that is far easier to say than to do. "I'm under the impression it may be at the center of the heated area, though we have no clear idea of where that is. Could also be someone outside the heat, which is even harder to find. Ziran, your bat can't see well during daylight, can it?"

raspberrybadger
2007-08-13, 06:00 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies "He's not blind or anything, but no. Unless there is something invisible in front of our noses, he couldn't do much better than us. And if it means going into the magical heat, well, I'm tougher than him - I'm not sure how well he'd make it. Plus, well, he's a bat. You can't tell him to fly in some complicated search pattern."

lawful_evil
2007-08-13, 06:10 AM
Carter

Tired of being stuck in the ravine, Carter suggests, "Would it be possible for someone to climb up out of the ravine? Maybe there is no heat above. Elisathalan seems to have some sort of path above on the top of the cliff that he's using. Maybe we could make use of the same path to bypass the heat."

anIceFan
2007-08-13, 10:52 AM
Nalik

There is no way I could climb this unassisted. I would not deny anyone else the opportunity to make the attempt though. I too would like to get out of this ravine. I feel we are being herded.

oliana0
2007-08-13, 10:57 AM
Oliana

"I think we should find a different name. That is not Elisathalan. It's some sort of illusion. Or worse. And if this heat is magical, it is beyond my capabilities to disable it. A mage far stronger than I would be required to make such a heat persistent, and to stop it."

"Or it could be non-magical." Oliana stops to think a little. "If I recall correctly, there is a spell that can allow resistence to heat such as this, to some degree, but I do not have it in my spell book. Do the divine magice users have access to this spell?"

"Perhaps, 'Bob'. I will call it Bob."

anIceFan
2007-08-13, 11:24 AM
Nalik

Nalik listens to Oliana's assessment of the heat.
Alas, I have prayed for the support that I know of. Perhaps when I offer my absolutions to Thor in the morning, I could implore him for greater protection, but I fear that would be too late. In a moment I will try one more time to endure the heat.
Nalik Hangs his head.

After drinking some water, and waiting for the heat to leave his body, Nalik makes another attempt to locate the heat source. This time he leaves everything but his Armor, crossbow, hammer, and water behind. He walks forward tentatively with his crossbow aimed ahead.

Rolls from OOC thread thread
survival 1d20+3 = 6
fortitude 1d20+5 = 24

I used resistance the first time Nalik tried to explore the heat. I could try resist energy, but that wouldn't be until the next day. Unfortunately that is not one of my domain spells.

Bob?

anIceFan
2007-08-13, 04:33 PM
Nalik

Properly hydrated, and carrying a lighter load, Nalik is able to make it far enough forward to identify the source of the searing heat. Narf!

After viewing as much as he can from behind the shelter of the bend in the path. He returns to the rest of the party.

I can not see us going any further in that direction today. There is a massive chasm stretching as far as I can see in both directions. The source of the heat is a river of lava that is flowing in this chasm. The only route that I can see across is a bridge made mostly of rope and wood. I can't even tell if it is worth it to continue because I can't make out the opposite side clearly in this heat.

After pausing a moment, and drinking some water, he looks at Carter

Perhaps it is time for us to give your suggestion some more thought. Lets move back and try to find a spot more conducive to climbing.

as they start to move back, he pulls out the comm device. Bunnyslippers he whispers into it.

When he gets a response.
We have traveled for half an hour past the glen within the pass. We have come across a chasm full of lava that blocks the path. As things stand now, we can go no further today along this path. We will attempt to have one of our members scale the walls to see what we can from the top.

Torger
2007-08-13, 05:40 PM
Hengist

Hengist is beginning to become rather surly about this unexplained sidetrip, and finally breaks. Alright... The time has long since passed for explanations.Before I walk headlong, once more, into the fiery river of muspelheim, and feel the lash of Surtur, I would appreciate knowing just who it is we are in pursuit of, and why he is able to call all the forces of Baldur and Surtur against us...

dauphinous
2007-08-13, 06:40 PM
"Understood." It is a woman's voice this time. "Recommend trying west over east. Dispatching aerial recon unit. Expect her in a few hours." There is a pause. "She's a bit chatty. Base out."

anIceFan
2007-08-13, 07:28 PM
Nalik

To comm Understood.

As Torger interjects his concerns, Nalik looks at him for a moment.
We have been so busy following our task, I just assumed command filled you in on our task.
Pauses for a moment.
Our task is to investigate an Orc clan that is sending invading parties against Highgate. We have learned that they are led by a human named Astryn. We have tracked them to the opening of this pass, and we believe that their base lies somewhere on the other side. Yesterday, our comrade Elisathelan was slain while trying to investigate. This morning, we were attacked by a group of orcs, led by Elisathelan looks at Oliana or at least a creature that appears to be our fallen comrade. I believe he has been taunting us, and trying to get us to move along this path.

Any other questions?

He then instructs the rest of the group to examine the west wall to find a location where they should attempt to scale it. Preferably 2 locations about 50 or so feet apart. Hopefully they will be less prepared for that if there is an ambush.

any checks D'?

dauphinous
2007-08-13, 08:20 PM
The ledge on the west side of the pass runs for over 200 feet after the small forest. Anyone who wishes to scale the walls of the pass can try it. There is a shorter length of ledge on the east side of the pass, also, maybe 50 feet or so.

{Climb DC is 25}

WarBrute
2007-08-14, 05:44 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Looking up at the vertical wall Sarrok says"Nalik, I doubt my ability to climb that even on my best day. Not without a ladder, a rope, or anything...to make it less uhhh... vertical."

lawful_evil
2007-08-14, 05:50 PM
Carter

I sure as heck ain't going to be able to follow him up even with a rope. We need a ramp or something. If only we could tie around around one of the trees on the top of the cliff we could pull each other up. Tree...

Carter steps a bit closer to Sarrok and Nalik and suggests, "Sir, maybe we could cut down one of those trees to use as a ramp. It'd make the climbing less steep and provide some handholds. I think I saw some back in that last clearing."

anIceFan
2007-08-14, 06:02 PM
Nalik

Hmmm. Yes I can see how that would help greatly. Did anyone think to bring an as? I left one back in the cart.

assuming Ireland boy volunteers that he has an ax
Good. Lets go back and harvest a ladder or two.

as they walk back, Nalik continues to think
Of course, scaling these walls will require leaving the mounts behind. Lets try and make this work so that we can at least send a couple of scouts up to see what we can see.

How much time are we talking for harvest here?
Did anyone see on man vs wild where he burnt the bottom of a bamboo to make it easier to cut. That's probably not going to work here huh?

Torger
2007-08-15, 06:01 AM
Hengist

Hengist is amazed that none of these outlanders would carry an axe. Of course I do have my axe, albeit a small one. Do you not carry them in your culture?

Survival check to aid in the removal of foliage?

dauphinous
2007-08-15, 06:21 AM
Hengist is able to chop down a tree for the effort with no problem. It takes him about 10 minutes of hard work, and he, Carter, and Deladus are able to wedge it into the pass to make a steep ramp up to the ledge above. As long as either Carter or Deladus keep a hold on it, it should be safe enough for someone to climb up it.

anIceFan
2007-08-15, 11:10 AM
Nalik

Deladus, you hold onto the tree to stabilize it. Sarrok you climb up first. Hengist you will follow. I want you to scout around up there to see what we can. Carter, you join them, I want this to be a scouting mission, you are not looking for a fight.

Nalik will help Deladus to hold the tree steady.

Holocron Coder
2007-08-15, 01:23 PM
Deladus

"Sure thing, commander," the fighter replies as he takes a hold of the makeshift ladder and shakes it a few times, wedging it further into place. "So, who is the brave one that will take the first climb?"

Deladus grins, partially inh umor and partially in encouragement.

Annalia
2007-08-15, 03:35 PM
Hertz

As the tree is being prepared, Hertz moves next to Nalik and asks"Should I start unpacking the important gear from the horses right away? It's obvious we can't bring them up there, and we'll probably want to bring enough rations for a day or two. Plus, Hengist might want to bring along most of his gear." Given a positive answer, he'll set to work and take down the food and gear from the horses.

anIceFan
2007-08-15, 06:45 PM
Nalik

responding to Hertz.
Lets hold on and see what is up there first. If there is still no way forward we will not all be climbing up. I don't want to separate the group too much.

WarBrute
2007-08-15, 08:23 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Ok, Nalik. I am not going to lie, I'm not the best climber in Highgate" Sarrok climbs aboard the logs and begins his ascent.

Roll climb=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1210256)

raspberrybadger
2007-08-17, 02:52 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran waits until the other gnome is safely up, and then says "I should probably save us the bother of having me fall, and have someone pull me up - I've never yet been able to master the art of levitation."

dauphinous
2007-08-19, 08:42 AM
The braced tree is not terribly difficult to climb, and Sarrok makes it up to the top without any problems. At the top, he can see that the ledge is about 5 feet wide here. He can also see something grey, nearly the color of the rock wall, as it smacks him across the face, though he isn't able to get details of its appearance at the moment.

{
Sarrok takes 7 damage and needs to make a Climb check DC 15 or fall all the way from the top (20 feet).
Sarrok can make a Spot check to make out more about what hit him.
People below him can make a Spot check to see what just hit him.
Anyone who wants to do something to the unknown attacker needs to roll initiative.
If Sarrok fails his check, people below can make a Ref save DC 15 to reduce his fall distance by 10 feet (only one success helps). He can also Tumble DC 15 to reduce it by 10 feet (these stack to negate the damage fully).
}

lawful_evil
2007-08-19, 11:20 AM
Carter

Focused on supporting the tree, Carter is caught off guard by the attack on the Sarrok. His focus was on supporting the log and helping the others.

Carter, sure he'll never be able to make it up the log, readys a couple darts to chuck at any enemies he can see.

Spot (1d20+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1214995)
Ref (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1214997)
Init (1d20+3=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1215001)
Dart(att/dam) (1d20+1=20, 1d4+4+1d6=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1215003)

Annalia
2007-08-19, 11:57 AM
Hertz

His attention divided by the horses and Sarrock's exploration, Hertz is caught off guard when something slams into their gnome companion. He reflexively follows the grey thing with his eyes, trying to discern what it is as he takes out a javelin. So focused is he that he doesn't notice the (possibly) falling Sarrock in the corner of his eyes.

Spot Check: 1d20+6=24.
Reflex Save: 1d20+5=6. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2013)
Also Readying an attack if it comes within the 10'-range.
Initiative: 1d20+6=13.
Attack Roll: 1d20+4=9, Damage Roll: 1d6=5. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2014)

WarBrute
2007-08-19, 01:42 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok begins to slip but is able hold on to the log. The gnomes attemtps to reach the ledge again now readied with a sword.
Don't fall check 1d20+2= 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1215095)

Holocron Coder
2007-08-20, 06:47 AM
Deladus

Tasked with holding the support still, Deladus can only watch the surrounding commotion until the log is free of climbers.

[roll0]

oliana0
2007-08-20, 02:04 PM
Oliana

Oliana watches Sarrok climb up the tree fairly gracefully and when Sarrok appears to be attacked by something, she quickly draws her wand from her waistband and prepares to attack.

[roll0]
[roll1] just in case

anIceFan
2007-08-20, 02:50 PM
Nalik

Nalik's heart sinks as once again a member of the party is attacked by an unknown assailant. ai, it seems like even the land is against us. He is relieved when Sarrok is able to catch himself on the tree, but still concerned that something is stuck to his face. Can't help him from down here.

Without much hope for success, the fully armored dwarf tries to climb the tree. And is not surprised that he can barely get a leg up onto it.
Carter, get up there and see if he needs aide. And protect your face.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] just in case

hey. my climb was bad, but at least my spot and initiative sucked.

lawful_evil
2007-08-20, 05:09 PM
Carter

Yeah, right. I'm wearing more crap than he is.

Carter mutters, "This will be an easier climb if I take off my armor, but I doubt we can wait 5 minutes. Well, here I go."

Carter takes a step or two towards the tree and trips. He then stands back up, takes a step or so up the tree and slides back down.

Climb (1d20-4=-2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1216477)

If the gods wanted me up there, they'd miracle my butt up there.

Carter looks to Nalik to see if he should try again or if Nalik will let him attack from down here on stable ground.

dauphinous
2007-08-20, 06:35 PM
Hengist pulls his bow and moves for a better angle, taking a short jog to get to slightly higher ground. While Carter readies darts and Nalik tries to climb the tree with no net result, something smacks Sarrok in the face again. Deladus maintains his hold on the tree and Hertz watches with a critical eye to see what is really going on up there.

Oliana can see little more than a grey blur as Sarrok reacts to being hit again, but has her wand out and ready. Sarrok pulls his sword. Hengist turns around and, sighting an arrow on the space in front of Sarrok, shoots, but the arrow flies over Sarrok’s head. Carter attempts to climb the tree now, but fails pathetically.

{
initiative order:
Hengist 21
Carter 19
Grey blur thing 16 <- paused here until Sarrok’s action is resolved
Nalik 15
Deladus 14
Hertz 13
Oliana 11
Sarrok 6

Sarrok takes 8 points of damage and needs to make a new Climb check DC 15 to stay on the tree. If he makes that, he can get on the ledge if he still wants to. Otherwise, he’s falling as before.

People after the bad guys can post a new round’s worth of actions, or you can wait until after Sarrok’s and the bad guy’s actions are resolved. I’ll move on after Warbrute posts, whenever that may be.

Ziran can go as soon as an action and initiative are posted for him.
}

WarBrute
2007-08-20, 07:51 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok dazed and bloody sways and begins to tumble towards the earth his small fingers still reaching for the ledge. A he continues to fall he twists gracefully, much like a cat, to cusion his full

Climb check 1d20+2=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1216692)

Tumble check to reduce fall damage 1d20+10=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1216698)

dauphinous
2007-08-20, 08:13 PM
Sarrok falls more or less gracefully to the ground, but is unable to roll completely with the fall. His body lies limp on the ground where he lands, broken and bloody, though he is still breathing. Barely.

There is silence from the ledge, and no one can see anything up there at this point.

{
initiative order:
Hengist 21
Carter 19
grey blur thing 16
Nalik 15 <- paused here
Deladus 14
Hertz 13
Oliana 11
Sarrok 6 (at -3/18)
}

anIceFan
2007-08-20, 10:00 PM
Nalik

Nalik rushes to the broken body of their fallen companion. Pulling out a healers kit he begins to care for the gnome.

Sarroks wounds instantly start to knit back together.

What is up there?

[roll0]
That should restore wis x4 so 12 HP ( he was down 15 right?)

Torger
2007-08-21, 01:22 AM
Hengist Magnusson

Hengist watches his arrow provoke something else to slam the small one in the face, and begins to grow angry. His face darkens into a mask of pure rage as he charges to the log and peginns to, quite skillfully climb up it, intent on violence.

1d20+4=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217152)

Climb check FTW

WarBrute
2007-08-21, 09:04 AM
Sarrok Balderk

The gnome coughs, rubbing blood out of his eyes. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it out, too much blood, whatever it is it can hit like Thor's hammer." He rolls over and pushes himself off the ground to a standing poistion, and prepares his crossbow for combat.

Watching Hengist pratically charge up the tree Sarrok smiles "You know, he is starting to grow on me"

Annalia
2007-08-21, 10:26 AM
Hertz

"It looked like a large dog, Nalik." Hertz interjects, looking up at the charging Hengist with more than a bit of concern. "A large and powerful dog. Hengist shouldn't be up there alone." It's clear from Hertz tone that he's only waiting for a word to try and climb up the tree after their newest recruit. "I have no armor, Nalik. I think I could do it."

As soon as he gets an approval, he moves to the tree and tries to follow Hengist up the hill - realising it's not as easy as it seemed to be far the tall man.

Because I'll obviously fail at it: 1d20+2=6. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2030)

lawful_evil
2007-08-21, 10:51 AM
Carter

A dog?

Carter stands back so Hertz can fall on his own before he suggests, "If it is truly a dog, perhaps we could lure it out into the open with some meat or some other type of food. Once we can see it we may be able to use rocks, arrows, darts, and magical effects to eliminate it."

anIceFan
2007-08-21, 11:52 AM
Nalik

seized by anger, both at the attack and the groups inability to climb the tree/ladder. Nalik tries once again to to climb to the top.

Rgardless of what it is, I don't want anyone up there alone. If you get a clear shot, take it!

Driven by his anger, Nalik is just able to make it up the tree. As he nears the top, he readies his hammer to attack what ever is up there.

Here comes another ill fated climb check.
[roll=climb]1d20+1[/climb]
darnit, correct roll over in ooc
1d20-1=17 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3069435#post3069435)
actually I screwed that up too, it should be -1 so 15.

dauphinous
2007-08-21, 08:16 PM
Nalik tends to Sarrok’s wounds, while Hertz is the next person to make a futile attempt at climbing the tree. Oliana continues to wait until she can actually see something to zap. Sarrok prepares to provide crossbow support and Ziran also just waits.

Hengist charges up the tree while Carter searches for alternatives. As soon as Hengist reaches the top, the first thing he sees is something grey as it slams into his face, then he is rocked by two more blows. The last hit knocks Hengist off the tree, but Nalik, having charged up after him, is close enough to catch the massive man before he is killed by the fall.

{
initiative order:
Hengist 21 (-5/13)
Carter 19
grey blur thing 16
Nalik 15
Deladus 14 <- paused here (I know he’s holding the tree)
Hertz 13
Oliana 11
Sarrok 6
Ziran 3

Hengist takes 18 damage. Since that knocks him unconscious, he automatically falls, but Nalik is right behind him, so he can play catch to keep him from getting killed by falling damage.

New Spot checks should be made each round if anyone wants to see anything. Go ahead and roll to hit along with it if that's what you want to do. Ammunition will not be spent if you can't see the bad guys.

Nalik has arrested Hengist's descent at 10 feet up the tree
}

anIceFan
2007-08-21, 10:40 PM
Nalik

Nalik is rocked as he catches the huge man. Seeing that it is useless to keep trying to mount the cliff walls in this manner he balances the dead weight between himself and the tree as he makes his way back down the tree-ladder.

Once down at the bottom he offers a prayer to Thor to offer healing to their newest recruit.

trade turn undead for sacred healing bonus level 1 spell for cure light wounds
[roll0] +2 for sacred +2 for 2 caster levels

Well, that doesn't do much, but at least it gets him concious

Holocron Coder
2007-08-22, 06:14 AM
Deladus

Still holding the tree in place, Deladus comments, "It would seem that this avenue is a lost cause. We can't get up there and survive their attacks in the same act."

lawful_evil
2007-08-22, 06:51 AM
Carter

Ugh. Wow, that had to hurt.

Carter decides to try something, that being better than nothing, "Bad Doggie. Sit. Heel. Roll over."

Spot (1d20+3=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1219277)

Carter takes out his trident and stabs it into the ground in front of him(so it is handy) and readys a couple darts to take care of the dog, in case it comes back out of its cave.