PDA

View Full Version : The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Annalia
2007-08-22, 10:08 AM
Hertz

Still keeping an eye an the beast, Hertz nods at the idea of not being able to go that way. "This thing is obviously dangerous, moreso than the intense heat down there. I don't think we can make it up there."

Spot check: 1d20+6=14 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2046). Meh, either way, I doubt I'll learn anything more than what I saw already.

oliana0
2007-08-22, 10:25 AM
Oliana

"Is it a dog? As in furry thing? If someone can get me within 15 feet, I might be able to do something. Maybe hide behind an illusion? Something fire-breathing?" Oliana slings her pack off one shoulder and rumages around in her pack and pulls out a scroll and casts a spell off it. "No use getting all beat up."

Get out Mage Armor scroll and cast it. +4 to Oliana's AC (now 16) for three hours.

Annalia
2007-08-22, 04:24 PM
Hertz

"It looked like a dog, yes, but I couldn't tell much. Too far high, and moving too fast."

dauphinous
2007-08-23, 11:25 AM
Although you all make plenty of noise, the unknown enemy stays out of sight.

lawful_evil
2007-08-24, 07:14 PM
Carter

Carter is still ready to launch his weapons should the foe present himself/itself. However, after a bit, the whole things begins to get to him. This whole pursuit. The traps, the cliffs, the terrain, everything geared against the team.

Carter then says, "Pardon me sir. Maybe we've just had bad luck over and over, but it seems like every step we take they are ready for us. Maybe we should consider a role reversal. Something where we can pick the location and situation of the confrontation. Maybe head back to camp and lay an ambush for them there."

Carter then shrugs and begins taking small steps around to try and get a better view of what is on the cliff. He even takes a step or too up on the log before sliding down off it again.

Climb Again (1d20-4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223861)

dauphinous
2007-08-24, 08:43 PM
Ziran prepares to create an illusion as Oliana tries to climb the tree. She whacks her ankle hard enough to bring tears to her eyes the first time as she misjudges her footing, and that just makes the rest of her attempts go that much worse. After giving up, the troop settles at edge of the forest to wait for the recon unit.

About an hour after the ledge assault is abandoned, a cheerful, slightly high-pitched voice calls through the trees. "Hello? Is there anyone here? I was just looking for some Defenders, I think they said I was supposed to meet up with a dwarf. Of course, that's kind of silly, I mean, I've met dwarves before. Highgate has a lot of them." The horses start to get a little restless as the voice, talking nonstop, gradually moves a little closer and gets a little louder. "I'm not sure why I should fly all this way just to meet a dwarf, but that does remind me of the time I was in this lovely garden, just sampling the various plants, because they had these wonderful red flowers. I don't know what they're called, but they are definitely red. And flowers. Floral and red. Maybe crimson. I'm not really sure exactly where the line is between red and crimson. I'll bet there's someone who knows, though. Like a dwarf. I'll bet a dwarf would know! Dwarves do know all kinds of fascinating things."

At this point, a shiny, metallic draconic head, that could be brass or copper, peeks around a large tree where everyone can see it. The head is about the same size as that of a large dog, and has backswept plates across it from the cheeks and brow ridges. The edges of the plates create an elegant ripple effect and taper to points over the head, almost like horns.

anIceFan
2007-08-24, 11:05 PM
Nalik

It takes Nalik a moment to realize that the new voice does not pose a threat. He is at first angered by the cheerful sound of the voice after such an agonizing day. As the dragon continues though, he finds himself incapable of holding onto his anger.

As the dragon comes into view, and ends it's oration, Nalik responds.

Hello friend. I am Nalik, I believe I am the Dwarf you have been sent to meet. I am afraid that I am not very good with colors, but I am sure we would all like to hear your story, perhaps later. For now, we can start with your name, and how long you were told to stay with us.

Nalik waits for the dragon to introduce itself.

thank you,insert name here I would like for you to do some looking around for me. A short distance points toward the path they just came back from this path is blocked by a burning chasm. I would like for you to find a path that we can use to get around this chasm. pause a second while you are up there, there are some creatures on the top of the canyon walls, see if you can identify them and tell us how many there are. Can you do that for me?

dauphinous
2007-08-25, 05:39 AM
The dragon steps into full view, showing that it isn't very big, maybe the size of a small pony. Its scales are mottled brown with a tinge of a brassy overcast. There are brassy spines connected by a brown membrane running from just past its face plates down its neck until it reaches the wings, which are currently tightly furled. The wings run from its shoulders to the tip of its tail.

Picking up a foreleg, the dragon indicates herself in a dignified manner, putting claw to chest. "My name is Tamaredes. I'm a brass dragon," it says very self-importantly. "My orders are to," the dragon screws up its face, obviously thinking Very Hard, "find a dwarf, then determine the topographical features of this pass so it can be mapped properly." Bouncing a little on its feet, the dragon grins. "I found a dwarf! I already found a dwarf! I'm halfway done already!" Then it stops immediately, bracing on all four feet and looks Very Serious. "Okay. On the job. Doing an important mission, because I'm the best dragon for the job. Yes, I am. No such thing as a dragon better for this job than me. This is serious stuff. Really."

It trots just a little bit, breaking out of the trees, then runs a few steps and jumps into the air. Wings snap open and start to pump, creating an undulating effect down the length of its body. "No need to fear, because I'm here, and this place kind of reminds me of this other place I was this one time, when I was just learning to fly..." As the dragon soars upwards, the voice fades into the distance.

Annalia
2007-08-25, 10:58 AM
Hertz

"He never stops talking, does he?" Hertz drops as he watches the dragon takeoff again. He keeps a reassuring hand on the horses through the exchange, only removing it when the dragon's voice faded off. "As long as he doesn't judge it useful to ask his way to Astryn's men."

Torger
2007-08-25, 12:00 PM
Hengist

With a painful groan and a litany of curses, Hengist pulls himself up from the base of the tree they laid him against, wincing slightly at the motion it requires. He stops, half-erect, and leans against the bole of the tree, trying to clear his head.

Surtur's black heart... That was more than I had expected, I ill wager. Drawing a deep breath, he pulls himself up to his full height. What has happened here? How did we come to be back here? He clearly immediately recognized the copse of trees, but seemed to remember little of the events that transpired.

lawful_evil
2007-08-25, 05:39 PM
Carter

Carter marches back with the others, helping carry the fallen and keeping an eye on the rear.

Carter is taken aback by the Dragon and gives a high pitched 'Yeep' when it pokes its head out of the bush.

Not trusting or understanding the what might motivate something like a dragon, Carter remains on guard and ready to strike at it, should it threaten anyone.

Once the dragon leaves Carter gives a long slow exhale and after cracking his neck, sits down to relax a bit.

I need a vacation...

WarBrute
2007-08-25, 07:28 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Looks like you've got a new freind Nalik" Sarrok says snorting into his trail ration. "Ugh,when the last time w had a real cooked meal?

raspberrybadger
2007-08-25, 07:57 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran is sorely tempted to pipe up, but he keeps his mouth shut, so he only thinks We have totally got the funniest bosses. Commanding officers who teleport in to chat for a bit, a comm thing with a command word someone asked their three year old daughter for, and apparently a dragon on payroll. Now dragons would be great on payroll, but our command somehow found a chatty one. Our village had some darn funny defenses, but oh man, they could learn a few things from whoever comes up with this stuff for the Defenders. I can't wait till I go back and people try to make fun of me for working with the stuffy defenders and I tell them about the dragon.

oliana0
2007-08-26, 09:33 AM
Oliana

Oliana's frustration reaches new levels, and her language finds new heights of colorful as she is incapable of climbing a tree. She follows along angerly frustrated at wasting a scroll.

When the dragon arrives, she perks up and is almost pleasant.

Holocron Coder
2007-08-26, 12:49 PM
Deladus

Really just at a loss for words at seeing the dragon, Deladus remains silent and just watches in mild awe as it flies off into the distance.

anIceFan
2007-08-26, 03:32 PM
Nalik

We should have more information shortly about what we are up against. Once we know we can decide whether we we should return to base or continue on this way. If we can not gain some control over the situation, we will retreat and regroup. Sarrok, Hengist, you just took some pretty serious damage, take this time to rest. Everyone else rest as well, I will keep watch.

As Nalik keeps watch he prays to Thor for the wellbeing of the group.

sacred purification
[roll0] darn no charisma

I am not sure where everyone was. I think Sarrok and Hengist were both still down HP, anyone who was at full HP is now at full+3 for 1 hour

oh yeah, one more turn undead down. 3 to go. We might need to go and rest, just to let Nalik recharge his ecclesiastical batteries.

Torger
2007-08-26, 03:39 PM
I was at +3, now I'm at +6?

dauphinous
2007-08-27, 02:51 PM
The Pocket Forest in the Damnable Pass
Near 5pm

Time passes after the dragon leaves, and nothing seems inclined to molest any of you. The dragon seems to drop out of the sky from nowhere, landing in the midst of all of you. Though its mouth is shut for the landing, it begins talking just as soon as its wings furl.

"Okay. There are some funny dogs on the ledge. They have a cave. It's a really small cave, not at all like the cave I was born in, which is much farther away, and close to a desert, so it obviously can't be that cave. And anyway, Momma still lives there, so it's not like you would be able to get that close without knowing it was a dragon cave. And there's this village of people right there who thinks she's just the most excellent dragon ever, which, of course, she is, and they would have stopped you a long time before getting this close to it to tell you about what an honor it is to be living so close to such a magnificent, benevolent, awe-inspiring dragon.

"And the lava, wow, is that a lot of lava. And it's really hot. It reminds me of the time when I was basking in the desert, and the sun was really hot, and then there was a fire nearby and it got even hotter, and it was just like that only not quite so hot. Of course, the fire was because I was lying there minding my own business and basking, like I said, and then this butterfly came and landed on my nose. And it was really neat, but it tickled, so I sneezed, and I sneezed right onto this tumbleweed thing, and it kept tumbling, right into a thicket of cactus nearby, which I think must have been almost dead because - whoosh.

"So the boiling lake of lava goes in both directions. It seems to be coming from that way," she points off easterly, "and going that way," she points off westerly. "I guess it's really more of a river, then, isn't it. Does one use the word 'river' when it's full of lava? How about when it's full of sand? Because there is this one place in the desert where I grew up that had this channel through rock, and the sand blows through it, just like a river, kinda. But it's not, so I guess this isn't. More like a channel of lava or something really. It gets covered over by solid ground that you can walk on about a mile to the west. If you climb up on the ledge, you should be able to get there without a problem. And if you climb up just a bit farther down from where the dog cave is, I bet they won't bother you. I think you just happened to try climbing up really close to their lair, and they were protecting it. Or maybe they're lunatics, just like these funny cat-things I met this one time. They could pull the skin back off their faces and it was really gross and I just said 'ewww', and they did some kind of weird bark thing, then Momma ate them."

Tamaredes pauses there, apparently not having anything else to add for the moment.

anIceFan
2007-08-27, 04:05 PM
Nalik

Nalik is stunned by the sheer mass of words in the dragons report. I listens carefully trying to separate the the facts from the random pieces of trivia.

So, there is a cave with dogs on the wester ledge. Were you able to determine how many there were? And we can probably get past them by climbing the ledge further along.

There is a clear path between the ledge and a path across the lava. Did you see any evidence that the path is used? Would this route be usable by a large force?

Nalik pauses a moment and looks at the suns position in the sky.

I have another task for you, if I may. We are not as magnificent as you, or your mother, and require shelter at night. Can you identify a location, reachable within an hours march from here, where we can set up camp?

dauphinous
2007-08-27, 06:11 PM
Tilting its head to one side the dragon pays very careful attention to Nalik. "I didn't watch the dogs for very long. They are hard to see, anyway, they look just like the rocks. There are snakes like that in the desert. They look just like the sand, and I met this mouse once that said they like to just burst right into mouseholes and eat them up, which is why he put his mousehole in a hollow in some rocks, because his second cousin once removed, on his mother's side, of course, was eaten by a snake popping right into his hole.

"The ledge is pretty narrow for about a half mile. If I was a bad dragon and I was watching you, I'd be able to just swoop right down without you even seeing me until it was too late. If I ate people, it would be a perfect place to get a snack, but I don't. Yuck. Momma always said that you shouldn't eat people because they taste like acid, which is pretty gross. I mean, I've tasted acid, and yuck, it just burns all the way down and then makes your tummy feel all weird and then it makes everything not right, if you know what I mean, for at least a day.

"How would I know if a path has been used? It's covered with grass because the mountains are thin there, and I wonder why they put this pass here, because it's really not at all a good place to cross the mountains. It's probably the longest possible way, and has a bunch of twisty bits, where there's this nice, wide, flat, straight one just a bit farther west with a big pile of rocks at the south end of it. I'll bet if someone wanted to use it, they could just blow up the rocks and viola! One nice pass to send an army through. If you get up on that ledge, though, it's a rough looking walk for about a half mile, then it flattens out and gets easy. There is a forest just after you cross the lava, but I think I might have seen something in there, like maybe orcs or something. But then, this is their territory, isn't it.

"Which direction do you want to go to camp?"

lawful_evil
2007-08-27, 07:42 PM
Carter

Carter stands there ready to strike at the beast should it threaten anyone. Focused on the beast's actions and not its words, it was quite a ways into the first speech before Carter realized it was going on and on. Carter slowly started to listen and slowly his weapon and shield started to hang limp at his side. By the end of it, his jaw was hanging open and he was just staring blankly at the beast.

Uh?

anIceFan
2007-08-27, 10:59 PM
Nalik

Nalik was not expecting the dragon to give him options about where to camp.

As close to this forest as possible. If I need to choose a direction , I say back that way points back away from the lava.

dauphinous
2007-08-28, 06:16 AM
"Hmmm." She points up at the ledge. "Even though it's rocky, just like the ledge outside the cave where I live, you know they actually dug out a brand new cave for me, in the mountain next to Highgate. It's not really big like Momma's, but it's got this vent that goes right from the incinerator to make it all nice and hot in there. I wonder if they could bring me some sand, because I really like sand. It's nice to just lay in for a while, and roll around in. Nothing like coins and gems, mind you, but really comfortable in a pinch. And you can grow cactuses...cactoo? Cactin? Cactimbe? How do you say it where there's more than one cactus, anyway? There's this one kind of cactus that if you poke it, it makes a flower right there. There is bunch of them near Momma's lair, and I like to just sit there and poke them and watch the flowers bloom. It would be neat to have some of those."

Holocron Coder
2007-08-28, 06:20 AM
Deladus

Deladus listens, mildly stunned at the flow of words escaping the dragon's mouth. When the dragon points up at the ledge, however, Deladus looks up there instead, expecting to see some sort of shelter. Of course, with the dragon going on as it is, Deladus could've misheard.

oliana0
2007-08-28, 07:38 AM
Oliana

"'Cacti.'" Oliana smiles as she studies the dragons movement and verbal skills.

Oliana switches to practice her draconic, "Is there any chance that you will be continuing with us? Your skills in surveilance and obvious combative advantage would alleviate the risk of mortal damage that some of our group have already encountered. Also I would like to speak more with you about your family and lifestyle. If it's not too bold, how old is your 'Momma'?"

Torger
2007-08-28, 09:14 AM
Hengist

Having missed the dragon's initial entry with his bout of head trauma, Hengist is not at all prepared for its reemergence. Only the fact that none of his weapons are within arms reach keeps him from attacking on sight. He listens to the deluge of information until the creature mentions the rock pile, and then spends the next several minutes trying to slip a word in edgewise. Finally, the beast falls silent, and he speaks.

Pardon me, great wyrm, but did you not say that there was another similar pass with a pile of rocks in it? Over his shoulder, to the darv and the gnome scout, he addresses this next comment.A pile of rocks that looks like it may have fallen from a height?

He is clearly suspicious about the passes, and wonders if they have not been lead astray.

dauphinous
2007-08-28, 12:19 PM
Tamredes lifts her head proudly. “The great and magnificent Strigemael is over 300 years old. She lives in the desert. That way.” She points to the west. “We’re Elf-Friends. She said I should come help out Highgate to ‘broaden my horizons’ and ‘meet other kinds of people’, since the Elven Nation is mostly, well, elves, you know. And some halflings. There are a few humans here and there, sprinkled like...sprinkly things. Like those odd little white mice you sometimes find in the nests of desert mice. Because the white ones don’t blend, you know. They don’t last very long, either, so they’re a lot like humans, when compared to elves in forests.”

She looks straight at Oliana. “How is it that humans and elves can breed together? I don’t understand, because elves don’t seem to be able to breed with anything else other than each other, of course. So I just can’t help but wonder how the humans do it. I guess the dragons that can shapechange can breed with lots of different things if they wanted to. I certainly wouldn’t want to. Ewww. I even heard from Jampredian that some dragons breed with other colors of dragons. She said that a silver propositioned her once, said he could be copper if she wanted. But he was kind of creepy weird about it, if you follow me, and she said ‘no thanks’.

“I did meet Pivristial, and he’s nice enough, but he lairs kind of far away, so I’ll probably have to take a big, long, around-the-world trip to find another brass to mate with when I feel like laying eggs. But for right now, I think you should all go up onto the ledge and do the climbing thing. There’s a bit kind of like this, where there’s trees and stuff. Take the left fork. Why do they call it a fork, anyway? I never use them, so maybe I should call it the left talon, or the left horn, or maybe the left fang. I have fangs, and I use them sometimes. Because if you don’t use them, they get all overgrown and you have to break them, and that sucks. Brindiniak had that problem. He just sat around like a big lump and one day his fangs were too long, so he broke them on big marble rocks and then he had broken fang, which probably was how come Lertescapar was able to kill him.”

oliana0
2007-08-28, 03:36 PM
Oliana

"Well, I've always guessed that elves were the magical descendants of some other race that blended with the humans due to their hardiness and fairly prodigious ability to create offspring. Perhaps dragons, perhaps nymphs, perhaps some race that is long lost to history because they left this place at the time of the first elves. And that magical capability of further blending has extended to their progeny. Though I have no way to test this."

Oliana takes a breath and a moment to ponder things, "I think it's a fork based on the shape rather than the function of the utensil. You know how forks start with a solid base at the handle and the tines split?

"Would you be able to help us up the rock wall to the ledge? I'm afraid that while I can make magic, climbing is not my forte. Also, we have horses that would need to go with us or return safely to Highgate. I don't want to leave them alone in the wilderness, you see. No with Orcs who may take it upon themselves to have them for dinner."

That last word was in Orcish.
Oliana could go on all day.

lawful_evil
2007-08-28, 04:05 PM
Carter

Uh.. Do I have to be here for this? Maybe I could go patrol the perimeter.

Carter visibly shutters and then gathers up his courage and says, "I'm going to patrol the perimeter." With that he re-adjusts his shield and begins walking a wide circle around the group. Make that very wide. Maybe even wider.

anIceFan
2007-08-28, 10:43 PM
Nalik

As Nalik listens to Tamredes report, and Oliana's response, he is half aware of Carter volunteering to patrol the perimeter. deciding that there is no harm he responds absentmindedly. Don't go to far, stay withing eyesight.

He then waits for Tamredes response about carting the horses and such to the top of the cliffs.

Ok, great! Now big tough Carter is afraid of a little dragon. Guess who is going to get Dragon liaison duty. Oliana and Hertz get the horses, carter gets the dragon. See Nalik is kinda like a shrink, he helps his people get over their phobias.

dauphinous
2007-08-29, 10:13 AM
"Oh, no, I'm supposed to go back to Highgate and give them the scoop so they can update their maps. They do like their maps. They have this huge map, it takes up a whole wall, and it's just of the UK. I could help with the climb, though. I don't think I can lift a horse, but I can probably carry everyone else. Except maybe him," she points at Hengist. "He looks heavy."

Annalia
2007-08-30, 10:11 AM
Hertz

"We should tie the horses to a tree, off the trail, and hope they do not get found. I'd rather not tie it too tightly, else they won't be able to break free if there's danger." Hertz's short, simple and straightforward sentences are somewhat a relief after the dragon's long convoluted ones. The monk can't help but think it talks too much, to say too little.

Torger
2007-08-30, 11:11 AM
Hengist

I wound think that, someone other than I might have been paying attention here, but they wyrm has indicated that e are off the trail your "Elis" creature followed. This is an entirely fruitless climb, and our time would be better spent relocating the proper chasm. Hengist, who as certainly not hired for his tact or social graces, looms somewhat accusingly above the dwarven unit leader, gesturing rather firmly in the direction the dragonlet indicated the proper chasm lay.

anIceFan
2007-08-30, 11:32 AM
Nalik

Nalik looks at Hengist and growls.

Step back man!

He resumes in a more normal voice, yet heated.
I heard about the other chasm. It is not the one that "Elis" went through. Tamredes has described a short straight pass that heads directly through the mountains. She has not mentioned a pocket forest or the split nature of these paths. I don't know how you think we got onto the wrong path, but unless someone has been able to change our thoughts about where we have been, they are definitely different paths.

He then turns from the big man, obviously done with him.
Yes, Hertz, that sounds like a good idea.
To the group as a whole.
How much rope do we have? We can either build a loose pen or tie them individually.

raspberrybadger
2007-08-30, 12:17 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran starts seeing a bypass around the dog creatures and some attempt to use the ledge to bypass other traps as inevitable, but he can't help but try to think of a way to use the dog creatures to counter trap the enemy - they already conceal themselves just fine, and they seem nasty enough. But, since he's at least as confused as everyone else as to where the enemy is, what the geography is like up ahead, and all that, he makes no headway. He's mostly assuming that Nalik or someone else is being responsible for knowing what happens next, where the group is going, and all that. He's still not entirely clear on why exactly anything is happening by now, but this day has had so many changes of direction and plan that he's just given up anticipating what happens next. This leaves him only with an exceedingly vague idea that something bad is bound to happen, and he better sort of stay on his toes in case whatever plan Nalik decides on goes crazy like a goat that got into the hot pepper patch.

anIceFan
2007-08-30, 11:14 PM
Nalik

Nalik calls everyone in so that he can go over their next steps.

We are going to get to the camping location that Tamredes has found. That will be our best chance to pass the night.

We will go back into the pass and move the tree to a better location that Tamredes will identify for us. Using the tree Hengist and any others can climb to the top of the cliffs. Once they are up, and we have used ropes to bring the majority of our gear to the top. I, with the aid of the horses and any others who decide to remain below Looks meaningfully at Deladus We will move the tree back to the original spot near the dogs. that way anyone will assume that we climbed there and receive the same reception that we did. We will then return to this forest and secure the remaining horses. Once this is completed, I will ask Tamredes to carry myself and the others to the top of the cliff.

If Tamredes agrees, Nalik will head back into the pass and do basically what he just said. The horses will be restrained loosely so that if they really need to they can get away.

I still don't know how much rope we have.

dauphinous
2007-08-31, 07:20 AM
Move Out!
5pm-ish

With the dragon's help, everyone and the one dog can get up to the ledge, but not the horses. You are probably 50 feet away from the originally attempted location, and can see a small hole in the rock wall not far from that spot, though no 'dogs' are obviously visible. At this point, Tamaredes, without preamble, launches into the air. You can hear her say as she pumps her wings, "Bye, maybe we'll meet again sometime, because that would just be really neat, and I would love..." Her voice fades out of hearing as she climbs higher and higher into the air.

The path is narrow and seems nice and flat. Then it turns into the mountain and goes up. And up. And up. Then down. And down. And down. It curves one way, then the other, then back and forth some more. Even if you'd been able to get the horses up to the ledge, you encounter a dozen places where they would have either had a great deal of difficulty or been completely unable to pass. For some of it, you are walking in a narrow crevasse. For other parts, across a 1 foot wide ledge over a sheer drop. in all cases, the incline is steep and footing treacherous.

A Place to Camp?
7pm-ish

The going is slow and difficult, taking about an hour and a half of hard exertion. When you find it, the left fork leads you to a small forested pocket, not terribly unlike the other one. The walls around it are sheer, and there is only one way in or out without wings or climbing equipment. There is more than enough space for all of you to camp, and a thorough search of the pocket comes up with no traps, and no apparent tracks aside from those made by small animals.

The air is still, with no sort of breeze whatsoever, and the ground is firm dirt. Based upon the size of the trees, and the fact that only a few gnarled roots sit aboveground, there may actually be several feet of dirt here. There is plenty of dry wood on the ground to start a fire with. Twilight is just starting, and you probably have a half hour of waning light or so before darkness truly falls.

Holocron Coder
2007-08-31, 07:26 AM
Deladus

Deladus nods at the look Nalik gives him, understanding that he is to remain below to assist with the tree relocation and horse handling. After a moment, when his leader has finished speaking, Deladus states, "I have fifty feet of good, solid rope, sir."

oliana0
2007-08-31, 11:18 AM
Oliana

As the group arrives at the campsite, Oliana quickly sets down and begins making hand gestures and writing in her spell book.

anIceFan
2007-08-31, 12:23 PM
Nalik

When they arrive at the camp, Nalik proceeds to prepare the camp for the night.

Hengist, take some time and scout the surrounding area. The rest of us will gather wood and stones to prepare for a fire.

When Oliana is done with her diary.
Can you prepare a smokeless or low smoke fire?

Annalia
2007-08-31, 12:40 PM
Hertz

Hertz also immediately settles down his stuff and bedroll when they arrive at the campsite. Without horses to take care of, he finds himself aimless for a bit, and decides to use the occasion to get out his own journal. If he wanted to write anything on the past few days, he'd need to do it now before the light completely vanishes.

oliana0
2007-08-31, 02:18 PM
Oliana

"I have no exact magic to do that; if we had very dry wood and burn slowly, it won't produce a lot of smoke, but it won't provide much light. But with the rains this morning, I fear we may not have much luck getting dry wood. Unless it didn't rain here."

I'm fairly certain there is no non-magical smokeless fire. And things with Darkvision (like Orcs) will be able to see any smoke that a fire would put off even in the dark, let alone the light produced, even if it's mostly embers. Unless the tree cover here diffuses the smoke sufficient to make it unnoticable. Also, I've been treating Oliana's burner past as "can start a fire pretty much anywhere if there's something to burn" and "can do so safely." Anything above and beyond that should have some sort of profession or other skill check, no? DM decision, I guess.

Torger
2007-09-01, 09:40 AM
Hengist

Hengist glowers at the erratic dwarf before moving on noiseless feet out of the clearing, a strung bow over his shoulder. The big man quietly moves through the increasingly dense undergrowth, looking for signs of passage, or even of supper, not relishing the thought of iron rations.

Survival +6, Move Silently +7, Listen +5, Spot +5, Search +6

dauphinous
2007-09-01, 10:28 AM
Pocket Forest Camp
7:30pm - the end of twilight

The team moves about, preparing a campsite within the forest. When Oliana says the word 'rain', she, Nalik, Hertz, Carter, and Deladus all hear a sound coming from somewhere near her. Carter thinks it is coming from behind a tree about 10 feet to her left. The sound is like a very soft voice speaking in slow motion, drawing every syllable out. It starts in a deep, bass register, squeals to a high pitch in the middle, then ends with a middle tone. But the volume is no louder than the wind stirring leaves.

"ey-o ey-o ah oooo eeee eeee"

Although there is no breeze whatsoever in this little pocket, Ziran and Sarrok see a lump of dirt, about the size and shape of an acorn, start rolling from a dead stop across the ground. There is no visible source of locomotion for it. Ulfgard backs up against a tree and starts whining quietly.

Hengist:There isn't much to catch here, but as Hengist is sighting on a skinny rabbit, there is a distracting flash of bright red out of the corner of his eye.

oliana0
2007-09-01, 11:10 AM
Oliana

The moment the sound occurs, Oliana quickly reaches to her waist where her new best friend the wand sits and draws it, unsure of where to point it, she darts her eyes and head about trying to discern the location.

Great, now it's the Red menace, Kruhljak, here to haunt us, too.

Annalia
2007-09-01, 12:11 PM
Hertz

Hertz' quickly on his feet, staring at the tree from where the sound comes uncertainly. He takes a step towards it, clearly intending to check out where the strange sounds come from. There was something about the melody that didn't put him ill at ease, and he was curious about the source of it. Still, they'd seen enough dangers for him to know he was better waiting for Nalik's approval before going around the tree.

Checking that out as soon as I have leader's okay! Spot Check: 1d20+6=8. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2113)

Holocron Coder
2007-09-01, 02:00 PM
Deladus

Suddenly on the alert, Deladus watches the moving clump of earth and listens to the sound. Thoroughly confused by the two, whether related or not, he readies his shield and weapon, just in case. Such had been their luck lately, at any rate.

"Sir, do you hear that?" He asks Nalik, also pointing out the moving object.

WarBrute
2007-09-01, 03:45 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Silently Sarrok nudges Ziran and points to the moving 'mound of earth' "I may be being paraniod but... I don't like this..." He slides a javilin from its back sheath and holds it at the ready.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-01, 10:47 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran whispers back to his fellow gnome [color=navy]"Looks like it might be a burrower. Hopefully, no pincers this time."

Instead of a javelin, Ziran gets ready to cast a grease spell if need be, since his primary concern is to disrupt an attack before it can get going and because he doesn't know where or what any potential attackers are. Gnomes are friends to many burrowing creatures, so this might even be something friendly.

anIceFan
2007-09-02, 02:21 AM
Nalik

Getting ready for camp, Nalik is put on alert by a sound coming from the forest. Because they had found the are to be clear, he was surprised to hear it.

See Hertz delay before moving around to investigate, he nods the old man forward. Puling his hammer free he responds to Deladus Yes I hear it too. Everyone to alert.
Then he calls out louder, Hengist, are you out there?

He will shift around to the side of the tree opposite Hertz.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

dauphinous
2007-09-02, 07:37 AM
The small ball of earth that Sarrok and Ziran are watching levitates very slowly and revolves a little, as if it were suspended by an invisible string. A few leaves flutter abnormally slowly down from the treetops, falling much like feathers.

Nalik and Hertz pop behind the tree from both sides, ready to surprise whatever may be there. Only to find...nothing.

From somewhere back where Oliana was sitting, the voice sounds again, still soft, drawn out, and distorted. "Eh eee, eee. Eeeeeee!" The specific location of it this time is not clear, as it seems to echo off the nearby trees.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-02, 11:47 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran, seeing the levitation and suspecting magic, casts Detect Magic, first looking towards the levitated object, but then sweeping around in case the ball is a distraction. This looks all too much like a trick Gnomes sometimes play, distract enemy forces with an obvious minor magic while the important stuff is happening unobserved.

dauphinous
2007-09-03, 05:33 AM
As Ziran's spell sweeps over the area, a vague, indistinct, misty shape begins to slowly coalesce in a space between a couple of trees. It is on the ground, and is vaguely spherical. It could be a human head, and there is a slight suggestion of a body lying past it. "Heeeeeeeeelp meeeeee, pleeeeeeeeaaaaase." The voice still sounds the same, but seems just a little louder. And it might possibly be coming from the shape on the ground, though it echoes through the trees, so it is difficult to be certain.

oliana0
2007-09-03, 12:08 PM
Oliana

Oliana stands and moves slowly towards the pleaing creature, wand raised. "This is probably a trick."

Annalia
2007-09-03, 02:31 PM
Hertz

"Yet it may not be one." Hertz states, cautiously approaching the creature. His brow furrowed, he looks at it and asks"What troubles you?"

Torger
2007-09-03, 07:05 PM
Hengist Magnusson

Hengist snaps off an arrow at the streak of red just as he is called by the Dwarf. Not stopping to see if it hit, he turns back toward camp, stopping just within the tree line to assess the situation. Hiding among the foliage with bow drawn, Hengist watches the shade materialize out of the loving earth, and whispers a prayer to Odin, asking him to return the shade to Hel(sic.).

Hengist stays within earshot, but remains out of sight, moving to stand close to Oliana and the shade, an arrow nocked on his string.

lawful_evil
2007-09-03, 07:45 PM
Carter

Something tells me we aren't going to get much sleep here. Who picked this campsite.

Carter watches the magical event unfolding in front of him.

Oh course its a trick. We're going to get stuck helping this spirit and in exchange it won't help us against the orcs.

Carter eases his stance and lowers his weapon.

Great, even if it attacked, How am I going to affect something made of magic and dirt. What did they used to call those magical things, dirtementals or something.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-04, 07:57 AM
Sinssuret

Hertz' proximity to the vague shape reveals that there is some kind of strange process occurring. The ghostly vision rises in a split-second to hover a few feet above the ground. It bears a resemblance to a face, but one badly distorted as if being pulled in all directions. The area that would be eyes is distended so cruelly that it appears as one large orb, severely forced back at the corners. What should be a scalp and hair, are instead twisted strips slicked against the surface as if in a hurricane wind. And the mouth is warped to inordinate size and gaping shape. Whatever it is, it's mangled grimace appears to indicate great pain.

You hear the voice rattle again, slightly louder this time, and in an uncomfortably atonal key, "Sssstaaaaand baaaack! Sooooomethiiiiinng iiiiis haaaaappeeeeniiiinggggg...."

Before Hertz can back away, he is knocked aside several feet onto his back as the head-like thing suddenly bloats to five times its size, like a pig's bladder being inflated by a strong man at a carnival. The face becomes far more distorted, and the voice is now screaming even louder than before, as if taking daggers to its eyes. A moment later, with a loud sucking sound, it suddenly shrinks to a small sphere no bigger than a halfling's fist, then almost immediately expands yet again. A sound like the distant humming of a thousand bass, male voices can be heard now as the vagueness of the image continues to lessen, becoming more defined. The severe distortion, however, continues to render it a frightening mockery of a face.

Almost as soon as it expands this second time, it begins to shrink, but as it does it loses some of its spherical shape, changing to a hemisphere with its rounded face forward. Color and definition gradually creep into its pale greyish-white surface, taking on an odd purplish hue. The distorted eye resolves to a single, deep orange cyclopean orb, but the painfully stretched mouth shrinks only minimally, retaining its betracian nature now with rows of sharp teeth visible. As it approaches three feet across, the scalp and twisted strips begin to separate from the surface, popping up like sprouting seedlings, each with a knob at the tip; one after the other, until six are visible, all told.

When it reaches a breadth of two feet, the face suddenly distorts again, and the thing screams in a loud, gravelly voice that echoes repeatedly through the pass. Then it blinks out of sight entirely...and suddenly appears again in the same spot, its large eye and mouth shut tightly. A few seconds pass before a loud report cracks the air, and it suddenly darts across the new campsite as if shot from a giant sling. It impacts a tree trunk, eliciting a loud "oof," ricochets a few times against other objects, causing one "oof" after another, once or twice, bouncing across the ground before finally coming to a stop at the base of a tree, its face now turned away. The vague hint of a pale, ghostly nimbus remains around every contour.

The knob-tipped strips lie limp across its rounded head-body, sagging in various directions, and the thing neither moves nor makes any noise. It appears rather banged up, underscored by a bit of greenish goo seeping from a gash across its purplish, plate-like, skin.

Annalia
2007-09-04, 10:37 AM
Hertz

For a moment, Hertz can but stare at the strange otherworldly creature. It takes a moment for his mind to finally registers what just happened, but when it does, he scrambles back up to his feet. Still rather stunned, he moves closer to the creature again, crouching next to it and waiting to see if it reacts. If nothing comes, he slowly approaches his hand to touch the greenish goo, wondering just how close to blood the substance is.

anIceFan
2007-09-04, 12:14 PM
Nalik

As Hertz approaches the thing that has appeared in their midst, Nalik calls Don't touch that! Does anyone know what that is?

He approaches the giant orb grabbing a stick along the way. He will try and work his way around to what passes as a face.

Can I get an assessment of his health?

Annalia
2007-09-04, 12:25 PM
Hertz

Hertz stills his move, looking back at Nalik. "It's... neither dead nor alive." It seems that to Hertz this is reason enough not to fear the creature, and he again turns to it and crouches. "It asked for help too."

He couldn't help but be drawn to the creature. Neither dead nor alive. Or both at the same time. A creature of opposites, a concrete proof that one couldn't exist with the other, that life was part of death, and death a part of life. He wanted to examine it closer, to know more about it.

oliana0
2007-09-04, 12:49 PM
Oliana

Oliana takes a step back from the growing head and just in time too, as the thing nearly knocks her back as well as Hertz. She looks to see if Hertz is hurt before refocusing her attention to the thing suspended in the air. As it flies through the air she tracks its movement with her wand.

Once it comes to rest she mumbles, "That's some trick alright, so much for a smokeless fire to not draw attention." Calling out loud Ziran, "Are you still detecting the magic on this?"

[roll0] to identify Ziran's spell (DC 15)
[roll1]

anIceFan
2007-09-04, 01:29 PM
Nalik

A little heat enters Nalik's voice as he responds to Hertz.
I don't care what it is. I have seen too many tricks this day for me to take anything on face value. Think Man, if they can attack us with something that looks like Elis, how much trouble to send something such as this?

He starts to examine the creature more closely as he approaches.
It is damaged, but it should not be incapacitated.

He reaches out the stick and gives the creature a little prod.

I am guessing about the incapacitated thing. Just let me know if that is off base.

lawful_evil
2007-09-04, 03:50 PM
Carter

Oi

"By Loki! What trickery is this?" A giant floating head with a big tooth filled mouth. No back end... must spit the food back up after digesting it. Yuck.

Seems to be mostly head. No room for brains and stomach and mouth and things. I wonder if its a boy head or a girl head.

In any case, Carter doesn't like the looks of this thing and seeing it as a corporeal threat, readies himself and his weapon again.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-04, 05:28 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pulls out his magic missile scroll but does not use it yet, choosing to continue concentrating on his detection spell, and calls back "Yes, there is magic at work, but I figured that was obvious enough. No particular school, so I don't know if this is creature or conjuration or illusion. I'm guessing creature - an illusion could have been so much effective."

WarBrute
2007-09-04, 09:12 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok's javlin clatters to the ground as he lets it slip through his hand. His eyes widen as he falls to his knees. "A ghost...? Brineal.. Kylin...Father?"

Annalia
2007-09-04, 10:58 PM
Hertz

Though he is clearly hearing the anger in Nalik's voice, Hertz doesn't back up an inch. If he hadn't really expected to further his studies by coming here, he certainly was not going to relinquish a chance at it. "Sir, I don't think this is an attack. Else why would it have bounced on trees rather than us? We need to know what it is."

Holocron Coder
2007-09-05, 06:58 AM
Deladus

Deladus ducks out of the way as the thing ricochets around the clearing. Once it finally stops, he steps foward with the rest of the group, cautiously watching the rest of the group. By Balder, what is this thing...

oliana0
2007-09-05, 01:11 PM
Oliana

"Maybe it's trying to weaken the trees so that they all fall on us in a spectacular death trap." Oliana's enthusiam for the idea is easily seen as sarcasm.

"In the mean time, someone cover me." Oliana hands her wand to Ziran and removes her terribly helpful robe and rests it next to the bundle. Gesturing for Nalik to hand her the stick used to poke the object, she grasps it and tryes to lever the object into rolling or scootching onto her robe. Once it's there she wraps the ends of the robe around it and picks it up.

She orientates herself so that if the object were to have some sort of gaze attack it would only affect her and turns it around in the robe to try to get whatever appears to be most face-like of the object facing out.

"Hello? Are you alive? Aware? Sent by Bob to kill us all?"

Wizards by nature are curious, especially when encountering something that is new to them and obviously magical.

anIceFan
2007-09-05, 03:14 PM
Nalik

Realizing that Hertz and Oliana are going to play with their new toy regardless of what he tries to do. Nalik gives Oliana the stick and throws up his hand.

Looks like no matter what I do, you are going to walk eyes shut into danger. Well, I have no proof that it is dangerous anyway. So, go ahead and do whatever you wish with it, but please be careful.

Nalik will then ready his shield and hammer in case the thing attacks.

Torger
2007-09-05, 03:50 PM
Hengist

Emerging from the underbrush, Hengist keeps his bow drawn and directed at the orb, words of caution dying on his lips as the alfling attempts to scoop it up. Hengist positions himself so that he has a shot clear of the others, should the monstrosity attack.

Annalia
2007-09-05, 06:27 PM
Hertz

"Don't worry, Nalik. We're hardly walking in blind." Hertz says, and he sets to helping Oliana hold the thing, and carry it. "If that thing meant to attack or harm us, I think it'd have done it before. Or at least, it wouldn't have hurt itself in the process."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-06, 12:22 AM
Sinssuret

The orb offers no resistance to being rolled onto Oliana's cloak, nor to being picked up. The thing is surprisingly heavy for its size, but not so much to make it overly difficult to lift.

As the inquisitive wizard peers at it, one of the knobby stalks upon its crown begins to stir. It rises with the knob's leathery covering splitting, baring a small lime-green eye that blinks quickly several times. Suddenly, the remaining five stalks spring up in tandem, knobs popping open to reveal what amounts to three matched eye pairs, one lime-green, one an intense yellow, and the last pair a bright, cherry red. Their revival is almost instantly followed by that of the central eye, whose irregularly shaped iris shrinks and twists as it focuses on the unexpected nearness of Oliana's face.

The stalks bob and twist around, enabling the eyes to scan the area independently, clearly pausing briefly as they encounter one member of the party after another, after which all turn their focus upon Oliana.

The wide, thick-lipped and very toothy maw opens, and along with a somewhat unpleasant push of tomb-like breath, says in a surprisingly deep, gravelly voice, "Hello there."

Not exactly worthy of quoting, but innocuous enough.

The mouth twists into the unmistakable angles of a smile, though with all the teeth, it's a decidedly feral looking version.

lawful_evil
2007-09-06, 05:37 AM
Carter

Carter steps forward to Nalik and suggests, "Sir, please kill it while you can. I've heard of these magical beasts. They are rumored to evil and manipulative. If it is acting nice to us, it will only be to further its own evil twisted agenda."

Carter stands ready with his weapon to smite the evil snow globe thingy, if given the command.

Annalia
2007-09-06, 07:58 AM
Hertz

Hertz glares at Carter. "Fun, I often hear humans to have the same reputation." Shaking his head, he turns back to the small creature. "Hello." he welcomes the small creature, curiosity obvious in his tone. "Carter's prejudices put aside, who and what are you?"

oliana0
2007-09-06, 08:38 AM
Oliana

Oliana hears Carter's words and she mildly rolls her eyes, and then a glint appears in them. In a melodramatic way, she cradles the bundle protectively the best she can, like a mother would protect her child, "You'll kill it over my dead body!" Then she falls into giggles.

Her face still happy from her little joke, she resets the bundle to look back at it and her face grow serious. "Seriously, what are you?"

"And more importantly, will this goo come out of my robe?"

I think Oliana needs some sleep.

anIceFan
2007-09-06, 12:14 PM
Nalik

Nalik is a bit perturbed by Oliana and Hertz attachment to this new creature. He is more inclined to lean to Carters point of view.

Enough of this Oliana, Hertz. If I don't hear a good response from this creature soon, I will let Carter handle this, ANd you will step away!

Nalik looks pointedly at Oliana at the last statement.

Holy cow. Nalik is getting some juevos!

He will probably lose them though :)

raspberrybadger
2007-09-06, 10:34 PM
Ziran Blueboots

(assuming that detect magic doesn't show anything new) Ziran pipes up saying to Nalik "If it helps sir, the creature doesn't seem to have cast any spells on them or anything. Perhaps it can explain itself."

Ziran continues to be wary, if only because the situation is so strange, but he is more comfortable now that it seems quite likely that this is a creature and not a complex trap centered around an illusion.

WarBrute
2007-09-06, 11:43 PM
Sarrok Balderk

The gnome quickly gathers up his javlin, apon relizing the thing is not an apperition of defenders past. However, Hertz and cater quick exchange of words seems to touch a nerve.

"I'm tired of people using race as a bases of trust or nature, All races die the same... they all bleed. We all have jugulars and hamstrings. By Odin if I had met old Tralgrik, you know that orc, in some bar I would have treated the same if I met any of you for the first time... with complete and utter suspicion. Wasn't Astryn once on our side but turned traitor. You can't trust anyone or thing on based race." Sarrok lets out a sigh, and appraoches for a closer look a the thing.

"Well... If Ziran says its not magical, its most likely not one of Elis' tricks." A smile stretches arcoss his face. "At least I'm not the smallest one here anymore."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-08, 05:56 AM
Sinssuret

The orb turns its eyes toward Carter as he suggests murder as if it were as trivial as picking his nose. There might have been an expression of anger, or hatred, or even constipation on the face, but it was a little difficult to identify exactly, given it's not quite level angle and the unusual features.

Hertz' and Oliana's intervention likely kept it from...whatever it might have done or said, as it remained quiet after Carter's aggressive rudeness.

It pulls its gaze from Carter and pauses at Hertz, then shifts back to Oliana.

Oliana can feel the vibration in her hands as it speaks, again, in its deep basso voice, "That goo, is my blood, as far as I can tell. Haven't seen it before, I'm happy to say. As for what I am...that's a tricky question to answer. One moment...."

The orb makes a strange face, closing its central eye, in some effort. It then rolls off the robe, and like a stone, heads straight for the ground, but comes up short a foot, or so. It stops there as if held by an invisible string, then rights itself so that its wide mouth is level and then bobs to a point about five feet from the ground. After a few seconds it groans a little and opens its central eye.

"Well, I'm glad that works, at least. I'm not used to being banged around like that." Each of the eyestalks glances at a spot where the orb had impacted earlier, as if remembering them independently.

It seems to have already forgotten the question of its identity.

Then it laughs resonantly for no apparent purpose, before saying, "Despite that one's desire to slaughter me, I must thank you all for rescuing me from my prison here in this so rarely visited place. I have been here...so long...I am not even sure...." The face somehow looks wistful, then the eye focuses again, and the creature asks, "What of King Byultran and his push to the east? Was the siege successful?"

He then seems to see you all for the first time, and quickly adds as he floats backward a bit, "Please tell me you aren't under Vulek's hand...." The eyestalks attempt to keep an eye on each of you, and the mouth is nearly closed entirely, indicating some amount of trepidation. The central eye, however, remains upon Oliana.

lawful_evil
2007-09-08, 11:33 AM
Carter

I don't like the way hes looking at me. Its like one of those paintings where it always looks like its looking at you.

Carter stays back a bit, but just close enough to suddenly charge and attack. As the floaty thing speaks, Carter is momentarily lost and then says, "Before we move on to your questions, why don't you answer the ones we have already put before you? Try to focus. Who are you? What are you? Will the goo come out of her robe?"

Vulek? Doesn't sound like a friendly name. Maybe an orc leader?

Annalia
2007-09-08, 12:33 PM
Hertz

"Carter has a point." Hertz prods the creature, not really expecting it to want to answer Carter directly. "I'm disinclined to hurt you in any way - at least for now - but you'd do well to explain a few things. First, a verbose creature like you certainly has a name. Second, your race must have one too."

He tries to keep the enthusiasm mostly out of his voice, but is having a hard time contain it. "Then maybe you could tell us exactly how you float, and what was your prison."

Torger
2007-09-08, 03:08 PM
Hengist

His arrow on the string, Hengist has his bow at full draw, his arm unwavering. Clearly, it is an abomination, spawned by the unfathomable depths of Ginnungagap. Let us be shed of it and continue on this most ignoble quest.

Hengist makes a fairly sweeping declaration about the newcomer, and his aim is as unshaking as the conviction in his denouncement. Clearly, given half a chance, he would do extreme violence to the creature.

oliana0
2007-09-08, 03:36 PM
Oliana

"Curious. And apparently not here to do us harm."

[roll0] to see if Oliana recognizes any of the names Sinsurret is talking about. If it's not historical, but local, she's at +5

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-09, 01:51 AM
Sinssuret

The various questions from different quarters has the creature's eyestalks flicking from place to place. At most times, it appears the matched pairs seem to prefer focusing together, though it's shown that all can function independently.

The red pair focus on Hengist. "You, unlike most of the rest, are definitely the sort Vulek would hire. Bloodthirsty, rash, and prone toward violence to satisfy your nature." The voice is as deep as ever, but devoid of the earlier relaxed undercurrent. "Unless you think I am capable of destroying all of you at once, you can aim that arrow somewhere else. I plan to answer the questions asked of me without your threat."

The two red eyes remain on Hengist, but the rest turn toward those others who've spoken most recently.

"I'll take your questions in order for convenience. My name is Sinssuret..." The first question was easy enough, but the second, 'What are you?' already appeared to be an obstacle. Sinssuret's large eye half-closes and the orange orb casts its gaze upon the ground for a moment, before it looks up again.

With a mix of resignation and loss in its resonant voice, it says, "I'm really not sure what I am...now. I was a Sektid." Seeing the lack of comprehension on the faces arrayed around him, he nods--a rather peculiar gesture, considering--and says, "Yes, I thought as much, but have been reluctant to admit it. You've never heard of my kind. And I imagine you've never heard of Vulek or King Byultran, or even The City of Blue Stones...?"

Sinssuret licks his lips, then asks, "Before I continue, please tell me, what family rules this land now?" He looks more carefully at Oliana, and adds, "You have the lineage of the elves in you...but you do not look like those from Barsherae. Do the true elves still walk there?" The question was likely loaded to the perspective of a half-elf, but there was no trace of condescension in Sinssuret's tone.

Annalia
2007-09-09, 02:02 PM
Hertz

"While I'm not very knowledgeable in history, I've never heard of any of those places you mentionned. I'm afraid you've been gone a long time, Sinssuret. That or..." he glances at Nalik, Carter and Hengist. "Or you're lying, of course." It's obvious Hertz is much more inclined to believe the weird creature. "So if I get that correctly, you've been transformed into something else, and you don't know what that something is."

lawful_evil
2007-09-09, 05:45 PM
Carter

Hm.. I'd never heard of those people or places either. He's probably just making stuff up to confuse us and sow chaos and mis-trust amongst us.

Carter suggests something crazy..., "Sinssuret, you've suggested that a great deal of time as past since you were imprisoned. Does this place appear as it did when you were imprisoned, that is, has the terrain changed? These places you claim to be from, did they have a standard calendar, and if so, what year was it when you were imprisoned?"

More importantly.. why were you imprisoned and for what crime?

Carter scowls a bit more vigorously than normal.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-09, 11:05 PM
Deladus

"Despite our run of bad luck, I do suggest we at least stay civil while talking with... Sinssuret, was it?" Deladus comments. Half a mind toward the conversation, Deladus tries to keep watch on the floating ball of dirt, whom the others seem to have forgotten.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-09, 11:30 PM
Sinssuret

He replies to Hertz, "Whatever I've become, I am unfamiliar with it. I'm not even certain it is natural. Vulek retained a number of sorcerers and vile mages that were rumored to create strange creatures from the bodies of the dead, but I don't resemble such a thing. Perhaps I'm unique. I used to be a Sektid, that much I remember well. I was part of Byultran's Second Bastion, along with many others of my kind. We did not look like this, of course, we were more similar to you." He begins describing the Sektid race, ultimately building an image of an anthropomorphic snake, for lack of a better comparison. Thickly scaled and eight feet high, or so, in their naturally half-upraised position.

"It is vague, but I recall our contingent being ambushed in this place, which has not changed nearly as much as the surrounding terrain, though there used to be a nice pond in the center, and the stone faces were somewhat higher then. A wing of Vulek's Harvesters. It was terrible. We were but twenty in number, and had only a small escort of combateers. No one expected Vulek to be this deep so early in the conflict. Vulek's band was three times our number, at least, and simply overwhelmed us before we could dispatch more than half of them. I remember a blade striking me across the chest. It may have cut me in half, I don't know--it is knowledge I am not eager to gather. Needless to say, beyond that, I am unaware of what transpired. Well, beyond the obvious fact that the rest of my Bastion were slaughtered. That much I found out eventually." Sinssuret's voice, though still very deep, has taken on a tone of loss and sadness that is no less identifiable than another's.

"The next thing I remember was waking in this form. I was weak, but not visibly harmed. There was no sign of the massacre that had occurred only moments before, from my perspective. I realized fairly quickly, as you might guess, that I was not what I used to be. My reflection in the pond showed me that much. I also quickly found that I could not leave the boundaries of this place. Though I could move freely within this area, something held me back when I strayed more than fifty feet, or so. It was like having a leash; no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't move beyond some invisible line, in any direction."

Sinssuret sighed deeply, before continuing, "This is what I meant when I referred to my prison. Perhaps Vulek's dark mages put me here as some cruel retribution for my actions against his forces. I have no way of knowing. Since that first day, I have experienced many episodes of darkness. It comes and goes, and when I am able to see again, everything has changed around me. The trees were older, or younger; the pond came and went almost at a whim. But this spot seems least affected, perhaps due to the strange forces that exist here. The area farther out, the mountains and such, and the pass nearby, they changed aspect many times. I could sometimes see signs that told of intelligence that worked the stone, but it would all be erased the next time the darkness came. I never did witness any living creatures that would have accounted for it, though."

All his eyes had become downcast by now, but looked up again. "The markers we used to indicate days and weeks and the rest were based upon the ages of the sons of Byultran and the rotation of the Blue Stones, and thus would mean nothing to you, as it seems Byultran's days are long past. I can say quite unequivocally that I have no idea whatsoever how long I have been in this place. It feels...like I've been here forever, but that, of course, cannot be true. I am anxious to see if my tether has been cast off as result of whatever your presence caused here. But even if that is the case, I have little reason to rejoice, as I feel somehow certain I have nothing left to return to."

anIceFan
2007-09-10, 11:53 AM
Nalik

Keep watching it. Nalik says to the group. There is little need, because at least Carter is as distrustful as he is.

He turns and walks a way from the group a bit, pulling out the comm
bunnyslippers
after response

We have encountered a creature and we are not sure how to proceed. My first inclination is to destroy it, but it has not threatened us in any way that I can see. I would like to see if we can not get some information confirmed or identified through command.
First: The creature is an orb about 2' in diameter, it has one eye on the orb, and six mounted on stalks protruding from the orb. Oh yeah, and it floats.

Second: It is claiming that it did not always have this shape. It was once a sektid, I don't know what that is.

Third: He speaks of a battle involving Vulek, King Byultran, and The City of Blue Stones. His name he claims as Sinssuret

I would like any information about these locations and people

Annalia
2007-09-10, 12:19 PM
Hertz

As Sinssuret talks on, explaining his current and past situation, Hertz is becoming more and more entranced by it. He taking in every word with fascination, and his fingers flexes more than once in a desire to write things down. What does this mean to him? This creature was dead, in the sense that his old body didn't exist anymore. Yet it was alive now, talking to him. Was the body change just another way to inflict suffering, or was it actually required? Did something have to die for the rest to live on?

As the question bubbled in Hertz's mind, he only manages to get out one single sentence. "I hope that you are indeed free. I would love to hear more of you."

raspberrybadger
2007-09-10, 12:20 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Once he sees Nalik taking the time to think this out and get instructions from command, Ziran calms down, and laughs to himself at how ineffective his new grease spell would be against things that float like this one. He's glad that Oliana's gut feeling was correct and that it looks like no-one is getting hurt. Most of all though, he's glad that this latest surprise creature isn't the sort to unavoidably slaughter him or any of the other defenders without warning. So, he waits for Nalik to decide what will be done.

dauphinous
2007-09-10, 01:10 PM
The small ball of dirt fell inert as soon as the creature went unconscious.

"Two foot round floating orb with central eye and 6 more eyes on stalks." The person on the other end, who is the same woman as last time, sounds a lot like she is either taking notes down or dictating them to someone else. "Sektid, Vulek, King Byultran, City of Blue Stones, Sinssuret." There is a pause, then her voice is muffled. "Are you sure?" Then another pause, and her voice is not muffled anymore. "It sounds like something called a 'beholder', but a little one. Maybe it's a child? Watch out for the eyes. They're supposed to have powers, like being able to disintegrate things or nullify magic. We'll check on the rest and get you a report if we find anything. Base out."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-11, 12:17 AM
Sinssuret

Two or three eyes follow Nalik as he steps aside and speaks into an unfamiliar device. The rest, including the central one remain trained on the various others.

The body rotates to Hertz, and says, "I would prefer it, despite my comment. And I appreciate your words. Perhaps that will happen, if your companions don't prove themselves worthy of Vulek, beforehand." There was definitely a note of sarcasm this time, and an inference of wanton violence.

The eyes not watching Nalik all turn to Hertz now, and stare for a moment or two.

"There is something vaguely familiar about you. Are you, by chance, famliar with the Path of the Flowing Waters?" he asks inquisitively.

anIceFan
2007-09-11, 12:04 PM
Nalik

Nalik will work his way over to Ziran.
Command reports that the eyes of this creature could have some power. Do you have any way to put it in darkness?

Annalia
2007-09-11, 12:34 PM
Hertz

"Path of the Flowing Waters?" Hertz repeats, and it's obvious he never heard of it. "No, I have not. What is it? Why should I be familiar with it?" He asks immediately, more than a little curious about this thing. It sounds like a monk technique.

Hertz glances at Nalik. He hoped the dwarf would go over his nearly paranoiac mefiance. There was so much to learn from Sinssuret. It'd be a shame to waste that knowledge.

Torger
2007-09-11, 10:51 PM
Hengist

Hengist, his bow still at full draw, moves to intercept the Dwarf as he talks to his tame magician. Are we not, as Defenders, to cleanse the land of the taint of such horrors? Why, then does this one remain to blather at us and subvert our number with its foul mouthings... Hengist pitches his voice low enough that it probably wouldn't carry to the orb, though it's clear he's talking about it.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-12, 02:15 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran doesn't usually do this sort of thing, but here he draws on the long tradition of the gnomish negotiator's art to impose himself on the situation, modulating his body language as if Hengist is irrelevant at best and an interruption to Nalik's request at worst, saying

"Sir, if you think it wise I can try to guard us with a spell. I can't use darkness, but I can put up a wall around it. Caution seems to be advisable though - the creature seems to be trying to figure out whether we are good or bad as well, and it seems to be against senseless violence. If you want me to put a barrier between us, let it be with the permission of the creature, and let it be known that it is to protect both sides from fearing senseless violence. Done that way, the precaution makes good sense - with your permission sir."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-12, 06:55 AM
Sinssuret

The orb provides no indication that it's heard either Hengist or Ziran, though the two red eyes that seem to have been assigned to monitor Hengist turn from Hertz back to the ranger.

"The Path of the Flowing Waters is the discipline my inod practiced. It is why Byultran asked for our aid. But, as I mentioned, we were overwhelmed unexpectedly, and none of us had an opportunity to help the Merciful King's men evacuate the outlying villages. I still wonder what happened, even after all this time. Though I suppose it no longer matters."

The green eyes flick in the opposite direction toward a clump of trees situated very close together, then quickly flick back.

"I would show you an example of my discipline, but," the central eye glances in Hengist's direction, then back to Hertz, "I don't think it would be safe for me to do so."

Sinsurret seems to dismiss the idea and quickly moves to another, more germane topic.

"You know, if you and your people are not Vulek's, and the conflict is long over, I have no loyalties left. You, at least, and one or two others, seem to be of good heart. Not like some." No extra glances this time; the one he refers to in that way has become plainly obvious. "I could return the favor you've rendered me, by helping you in whatever task you have at the moment. That is, assuming I am truly free of the bonds of this place. May I ask, then, why are you all out here in this remote location? I am more than glad that you came along, but I am curious."

oliana0
2007-09-12, 08:35 AM
Oliana

"Excellent! Do you need sleep? Do you even sleep? We are about to make camp. I know I need some rest; it's been a while since morning for us. But I also know that we are hunting a very evil creature who has killed some of our ranks, and we could use all the help in finding it and destroying it."

Oliana's pleasant attitude upon finding a new toy to play with disappears with mention of her lost friends.

Annalia
2007-09-12, 08:39 AM
Hertz

"Please don't blame my companions for their suspiciousness - or outright violence. We've been through much, and it's hard to know for certain who to call friend and foe." Hertz says with a sigh. After seeing so many of their fellow Defenders die, he knew everyone was bound to be on edge.

"As for what I can tell you, it's not up to me." he continues. "Nalik - the dwarf - will decide. He is our leader and made a good job of it so far."

anIceFan
2007-09-12, 12:39 PM
Nalik

VE, Naliks conversation with command and Ziran are meant to be what he assumes is out of earshot from Sinssuret, who I will refer to as Mike Wazowski)

First finishing the conversation with Ziran
That will be adequate. Take no action now, I want to get a better sense of this creatures intentions. Be ready though

Following up with Hengist, not caring if Sinsurret hears.
No. We are not tasked to remove horrors from the land. We are here to remove threats to the city of Highgate. There are many things that we might find horrifying that to not threaten the city. We will not impose wanton violence just because we don't like something.

Continuing on to Sinsurret, I am going to take it that Nalik hasn't heard the other conversations.
Sinsurret, I must apologize for the mistrust we are showing. You have as yet given us no reason to be antagonistic towards you. As a reason I will tell you that we have been under near constant attack for more than a week now. This land is fraught with perils, and we simply do not with to be caught unawares.
Pauses a moment.
It might be necessary for us to place you into an area of darkness. This will not harm you, nor will it be permanent. If this is done, it will be both for your protection, as well as our own.
pauses again
Let me ask you some questions. It will not only pass the time while I await a response from our command, but it will put us all at ease.
If this were your time, how far away would you be from your or your enemies city?
Which direction was your city located?
How high can you float from the ground?
How much control do you have over that?
Do you have any special powers?

Nalik will pause after each question to allow Sinsurret to respond

lawful_evil
2007-09-12, 04:18 PM
Carter

Having determined that they are not going to let him break the snow globe, Carter begins walking the perimeter looking for anything out of place. Maybe magic symbols or something that may have 'bound' MW to this place.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-13, 03:36 AM
Sinssuret

Oliana: "Excellent! Do you need sleep? Do you even sleep? We are about to make camp. I know I need some rest; it's been a while since morning for us. But I also know that we are hunting a very evil creature who has killed some of our ranks, and we could use all the help in finding it and destroying it."

Sinssuret patiently waited out Oliana's enthusiastic torrent of words before replying.

"Now that you mention it, no, I can't remember the last time I slept. It's odd. I hadn't even given it any thought--it seemed normal, up until now. I suppose it must be a result of whatever I've become. As for the evil creature you're hunting, in that, I am happy to help. Vulek was a great evil in my time, so I know well the importance of eradicating such menaces. It seems the gulf of time between my new life and the old, has not been enough to wash away such evil."

At first he'd drifted into a kind of dull moroseness as he spoke, but then his central eye lit up--figuratively--and he smiled in his odd way.

"I am glad to hear of your purpose in this place. It answers the most important question I've had, which is what side of the path of light you travel. It is fate, perhaps, that we are both serving the same goals. The Path of the Flowing Waters was devised by my kind, as a means of helping stem the growing tide of evil. Perhaps, all this has occurred for some, as yet, inscrutable reason," he suggests, rather eagerly.

~*~

Hertz: "Please don't blame my companions for their suspiciousness - or outright violence. We've been through much, and it's hard to know for certain who to call friend and foe."

"Yes, I think I understand now. You are also all from a Bastion, or something similar. It was not apparent to me, as you are all so different from one another. I would still prefer not being under an arrow. It makes me somewhat nervous, as his arm must be getting tired. The string could slip."

~*~

To Nalik, he says, "As I was telling him," the central eye drifts to Hertz and back, "I think I understand your position, now."

On mention of being placed in darkness, the orb seems to waver a little. The gesture, if it could be called that, is unclear, but the subsequent words imply it was akin to the reaction of a freed slave being told they'd just have the manacles put on for a little while.

"If you feel it necessary, but I'd prefer you not do so. I don't like the dark."

Nalik's other questions were answered in order. "Vulek's stronghold is, or was, I suppose, beyond these mountains to the west. I'd never been there, myself, but I would gauge it to be at least ten days travel, if not more. I am not especially good with distances. My home would be to the northeast, perhaps five days journey. That much I can estimate a little better, as I traveled it myself. The way you see me now is what I've always remembered. I seem to have a limitation on the height I can gain from the ground, or from a surface, I suppose. I used to be able to move across the pond that was here, as well. I've tried to better this ability, but have ultimately failed, so far. Once in a while, if I concentrate, I feel as though I can move higher, but I never do. Perhaps, in this form, I am not yet as capable as I could be. As for the control, it is no different to me than the rippling of my muscles used to be. It feels natural."

He pauses there, as if done, then resumes, "Oh, there was the other question about special powers. I will show you my trust by demonstrating my discipline." He rotates to face the clump of trees about thirty feet distant. Though one of the two red eyes remains locked on Hengist, the rest focus on others.

With his backside still facing you, he says, "Do not be alarmed; I have been able to scavenge only a few implements from the aftermath of the massacre, before the darkness dragged me forward."

Now that you look, you see what appears to be a weapon haft poking out from behind the clump. It quickly springs into full view, resolving into a rather beaten up, and pitted morningstar, with only part of its wooden haft still intact. It moves through the air with sharp, precise movements around to the front of the clump, and suddenly tilts and sweeps, the spiked ball-head smashing into the bole of one of the trees, sending chunks of bark and splinters into the air. Under the force of the blow, more of the wooden hafts shears off, and the head breaks free, landing with a thud in the soil.

Sinssuret rotates to face Nalik, again, and the remainder of the weapon drops to the ground.

"That is one aspect of my discipline. You can likely deduce others. The weapon, though, was old and in very bad condition, so its damage was not intended. I have not yet determined what sorts of abilities this form grants me. I know that my eyes are capable of something, but I have not had luck ascertaining what that may be. No sprays of light or destructive beams have appeared when I've concentrated. I intend to continue to experiment; perhaps I need a particular sort of target. I have tested it on a few small wild creatures that have wandered into this place, but that has yielded nothing important. They've just run off, but I feel that is not the intended effect."

He licks his leathery lips with a long, rather thick, purplish tongue. "I'm afraid there's not so much more to tell. My Bastion worked in concert, and when doing so, we were far more powerful than I, alone. But, without that merging of minds, I am restricted, though I have contemplated methods of expanding my personal abilities with my discipline. Without a mentor, either, it will be rather slow. But, having said that, I am more than willing to be at your disposal for at least as long as we remain apart from civilization. That is, assuming, I can leave this place."

Torger
2007-09-13, 05:04 AM
Hengist

Annoyed with the imprudence of his comrades, Hengist returns to his survey of the surrounding woods, once again on the lookout for supper, careful to keep ithin shouting distance of the clearing and the soon-to be eaten-by-an-abomination group.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-13, 06:22 AM
Deladus

Deladus watches the going-ons with interest, keeping an eye on the surrounding terrain in case their "friends" decide to pay them a visit. The words coming from the creature's mouth seem to almost describe a completely alien world. Albeit, an interesting one.

Annalia
2007-09-13, 07:33 AM
Hertz

When Sinssuret mentions washing evil away, and eradicating it, Hertz shakes his head. "Evil cannot entirely disappeared. It's as necessary to this world than the sun is, or than Good is. As long as one exists, so will the other." If that thought could depress some, it sounds more like a conclusion reached long ago to Hertz, and fully accepted.

oliana0
2007-09-13, 08:31 AM
Oliana

"Yep, as long as man - or dwarf, or elf or strange eye floaty thing - have emotions of desire, love, lust, envy, etc., they will do things to get them that is not always in the best interest of others. And people like us will always have jobs."

Oliana yawns and looks around for a place to set up a small campfire and proceeds to make the most smokeless fire she can given the lack of dry wood. Then she finds a soft place to sleep.

lawful_evil
2007-09-13, 09:18 AM
Carter

As Carter searches the perimeter for evidence to support the wild tales being spun, he notices Hengist's departure and obvious state of mind. Carter wanders over that way to follow.

Once Carter gets close enough, he says quietly, "I can't believe they are considering harbouring that magical abomination. Do you need help? Perhaps I can circle around and flush some game towards you?"

Torger
2007-09-13, 09:29 AM
Hengist

Hengist drops into a crouch and levels his bow at the noise crashing through the brush toward him. Seeing it was Carter, he slacks his bow string. You Outlanders seem to have strange ideas of what is right and proper. I do not believe I will ever understand your ways.

He stands and approaches the other man, and grins at the mention of hunting. Thoughts of game over the fire are all that sustains me. You rattle and crash through the bush. I will secure our meal.

lawful_evil
2007-09-13, 10:05 AM
Carter

Carter does his best to help Hengist out. He heads straight back to camp, hangs a left, and heads away from camp a little ways, then turns left again and begins to head towards Hengist. Along the way, he does his best to make noise, but not too much noise. Carter isn't the quietest of people in Banded Mail to begin with. Added to that he shuffles his feet in the dry leaves, steps on twigs, etc.

dauphinous
2007-09-13, 10:21 AM
Working together, Carter and Hengist manage to, fairly quickly, bag a brace of bunnies and a bird. Aside from that, the only other really edible thing in this little forest are some berries on a couple of small bushes at the base of one tree.

The Comm vibrates in Nalik's hand, about the time that Oliana has gotten a good fire going. it is the woman's voice again. "Corporal Stormbrow, I have additional orders for your unit. The presumed beholder is to be detained and transported with you until such time as you are able to return to Highgate. At that time, it will be remanded to Command custody."

Torger
2007-09-13, 11:46 AM
Hengist

Grinning with the joy of the hunt and the camaraderie found therein, Hengist cleans the kills and prepares them for them for cooking on the spot, away from the camp. Tying the cleaned carcasses to a brace and tossing it over his shoulder, Hengist claps Carter on the shoulder. Come, my friend... Tonight we eat properly. Hengist heads back toward the camp.

We have returned with dinner. He declared, brandishing the brace and moving with definition toward the fire.

anIceFan
2007-09-13, 01:18 PM
Nalik

Nalik drops to alert, and prepares to defend himself as Sinssuret shows his power by levitating weapons. As it becomes obvious that the great eye has no intention of attacking, and that he could have already done great damage if that was his intent, Nalik begins to relax. He is further put at ease when the beholder acknowledges the power of his eyes. The point of the questioning was to determine how honest the creature was being.

Thank you Sinsurret for that demonstration.

He is a little disturbed that Oliana and Hertz have dropped their guard and accepted this creature as part of the party, and is about to take Oliana to task for just wandering off to start a fire, when the comm begins to buzz. Nalik again walks out of earshot to receive commands from Highgate.
Understood! is his only response.

Nalik returns to where Sinsurret is waiting to inform him of the news.
Our command has asked you to travel with us until we can return to the city. They are eager to meet you. He takes a glance at Ziran I don't believe we will be needing to hamper you with darkness. Hengist you may stand down now. Hengist? NARF! Where is Hengist?

Nalik's anger is heightened when he notices that Carter is also gone. His anger reaches a peak as the 2 men return to camp. He first focuses on Carter
WHat are you doing leaving camp? are we on a summer picnic? You predated me in the Defenders, you at least should know better to leave camp when there is a potential hostile in the area. he turns towards HengistAnd You! You have done nothing but challenge me since you have arrived. Highgate command has put me in charge, and you accepted service, therefore you will accept my command. He then notices what the big man is carryingAre those rabbits? The thought of hot fresh fluffy bunnies dampens his anger. regardless, you should not leave camp.

Torger
2007-09-13, 04:35 PM
Hengist

Hengist is rather dismissive of Nalik's anger, at least in terms of attitude. Carter and I were, how do you put it? "Reconnoitering the perimeter," and intercepted these hostile local forces. Hengist's rather thick dialect makes the declaration sound double ridiculous, and he immediately lapses back into his normal speech patterns. Yourself, the half-alf, the small ones, and the old man all had this creature well to hand. It was made abundantly clear to me that my skillsets would not be required, so I did what any good Vinlander does, and killed my supper. As Carter assisted, I was able to catch far more than is my usual take, and as I am, apparently, less that popular with this company for my views on prudence, I have decided to share my fortunes with the rest of you. If the creature is to be the new mascot of this sideshow, then it is also welcome to the bounty Baldur provides his faithful.

This is probably the longest speech Hengist has uttered since his arrival, and despite the unveiled barbs, is probably as close to courteous and apologetic statement one is likely to hear from him. In silence and with no small amount of skill, he begins to dress the animals with salt form his pack, as well as wild onion, garlic, and several other herbs gathered during his foray or taken from his personal supplies. The hares spitted, and the fowl in a bot and buried in coals, Hengist leaves the fireside and kneels facing west, away from the bustle of the camp. Settling don, he takes his hammer into his hand and begins a low, chanted prayer to Thor.

In case anyone cares to listen...

[color=blue]Hail, Thor, Lord of Thunder,
Master of the Winds of the Western World.
Hail, Thor, Hammer Wielder,
Lord of Lightning, Lord of Storms.

Bring the Wind the bears the Waters,
Master of the Winds of the Western World,
Call the Cloud and all It utters,

Hail, Thor, Lord of Thunder,

Fetch the flock of Cloud-Sheep, grazing,
Lift the Lash of Lightning, blazing,

In Your Arms, the Waters gather,
Whip the Waves to lash and lather,

His evening devotions done, Hengist will return to the fireside.

anIceFan
2007-09-13, 07:02 PM
Nalik

As Hengist moves off to prayer, Nalik grabs the hammer hanging around his neck, and offers his own much smaller prayer to Thor Help me!

He then turns to Sinssuret,
I have some small skill at healing, If you are to be a member of our party, I will do my best to ensure that you are in the best of health. I notice that you have taken some wounds during your entrance, may I look at them?

take a 10 on heal check for 19
VE what is max HP?

Once that is done, Nalik will set out the watch order before sitting down to dinner.
Watch order for tonight; Carter and Ziran will take first watch, Hengist and Oliana will be second. Hertz and I will be on third watch, and Deladus and Sarrok will take final. Sinssuret, I will want you to rest this night to recover from your wounds, and to regain your bearings. From your tale, it has been a long time since you have been about in the world. Each watch will be 2 hours.

Torger
2007-09-13, 08:00 PM
Hengist

As you command, reverend svartalf... Hengist deadpans, offering Oliana a spitted hare. Apparently, tonight we hunt together.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-13, 10:05 PM
Deladus

Sighing at the fragmenting of the group, Deladus just smiles and salutes at Nalik's order. If Oliana permits, he sits next to the fire and takes a small portion of the rabbit before quickly turning in for the evening.

oliana0
2007-09-13, 11:50 PM
Oliana

Oliana accepts the rabbit. "Actually, I'm really only good at burning things." Once the food is cooked and ready, Oliana will lean into Hengist and offer, "He worries. It's hard to be in charge."

raspberrybadger
2007-09-14, 03:39 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran breathes a slight sigh of relief when he isn't required to wall in a creature who might take it the wrong way. By the time things get down to an argument over rabbits, he figures that the creature is pretty much part of the group now. Besides, if the thing can be persuaded to help against the orcs, his illusions get that much more effective - they won't know what is real and what isn't.

Then, he reallizes he's going to have to stop calling the thing 'creature' in his head, so he asks Sinssuret "What do you think of yourself as? I mean, everyone knows that gnomes are badger befriending orc befuddling properly short bundles of goodness. Or spikiness. Depends on the gnome you ask. How do you want us thinking of you?"

After the conversation is over, Ziran looks for a good place to keep watch, and wakes his little fruit bat from his daytime nap so he can have an extra set of eyes and ears on watch with him.

Torger
2007-09-14, 06:22 AM
Hengist

Hengist stretches beside the fire, tossing the remains of his meal into the flames. Perhaps, little alf, but you outlanders have strange and sometimes insensible ways and customs, and I find I do not adjust easily... Perhaps it was a mistake not to return to Vinland. For the first time since his arrival, Hengist sounds unsure of something, and his low-pitched commentary does not travel much further than the half-elf girl.

Annalia
2007-09-14, 08:07 AM
Hertz

Hertz simply nods to acknowledge Nalik's order but does not immediately goes to sleep. There was still much he intended to ask Sinssuret, and questions were forming in his head and disappearing just as fast. He knew, though, that the creature needed the rest, so he instead settled on recording the day's event. For once, there was much to be said.

Hertz sits down, leaning on a tree, and uses the campfire's dim light to write his small diary - one he did not keep regularly, you'd noticed. His hand was running along the new lines quickly, in an elegant and practised manner. Not regularly, perhaps, but frequently enough from all appearances. After nearly a hour, he closes the book and finally heads for his bedroll, wishing Carter and Ziran a good rest.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-14, 08:34 AM
Sinssuret

Nalik: "Our command has asked you to travel with us until we can return to the city. They are eager to meet you."

"That is fine. In fact, I am quite glad to have the opportunity. Perhaps, I can ask your scholars about some things, and be given an opportunity to peruse your historical records. And I thank you for not casting me into darkness."

Nalik: "I have some small skill at healing, If you are to be a member of our party, I will do my best to ensure that you are in the best of health. I notice that you have taken some wounds during your entrance, may I look at them?"

"Yes, please. So, you are a man of healing? That is good. We had two such in my Bastion, but unfortunately, they never had the chance to share their essence with the villagers we were sent to evacuate. One of them described to me the joy he felt when he healed another from a wound or sickness. I wonder; is it the same for you?"

As result of the dwarf's ministrations, the orb appears good as new, with nary a scratch. Even the numerous dark purple bruises that had formed over time had vanished.

"Thank you. I am fine, now."

Sinssuret lowers his voice to a strange sort of vibrating whisper, and adds, "That one should show you more respect. My people revered our form of healers, and not only because their lives were often spared because of their sacrifices." As before, Sinssuret used a few extended eyestalks to point at his intended subject. This time it was Hengist, as he prepared his catch.

~*~

As Nalik rattles off the watch order, Sinssuret floats around a little, mostly from side to side and in small figure eights. It almost strikes you as an odd analog to shaking out the sleep in your legs from sitting too long.

He floats back to his original spot and faces Nalik. His expression is clearly animated, despite the differences.

"I can help with this, if you will allow it. I am, as you may have guessed, fairly adept at being vigilant," he says with a terse laugh. "It is ironic, isn't it? Locked here in a place where almost nothing wanders in? To have all these eyes and nothing worth seeing.... In any event, I will gladly volunteer for watch duty. Unlike yourselves, and my old form, for that matter, I do not seem to require sleep."

Sinssuret suddenly looks concerned, saying, "Which reminds me. We have yet to test to see if I can leave this place. If you would allow it, I would like to know the truth tonight. I do not wish to become more eager to go with you only to find I still cannot go anywhere."

~*~

Ziran: "How do you want us thinking of you?"

The orb's central eye half-closes, and the mouth twists a bit. Sinssuret's clearly thinking of a way to answer the question.

After a few moments, he looks down a bit at the gnome and says, "I would prefer to be thought of as a friend."

WarBrute
2007-09-14, 08:38 AM
Sarrok Balderk

"Yeah, I'm a real bundle of goodness Sarrok said smiling,his eyes closed. Sarrok helps himslef to some seared meat chewing slowly. His full and his eye lids heavy, he called Ulfgar to his side. The large Husky bounds over. Sarrok pats him gentaly and removes his saddle.Curling up, using his dog as a pilow Sarrok fall to sleep.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-14, 10:13 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran thinks Ah, all right, I still need to make up something better than 'creature'. Eyeful? There we go. Just hope it can't read thoughts.

The conversation apparently over, Ziran slips into position looking one way, his fruit bat looking over his shoulder so nothing sneaks up on him.

anIceFan
2007-09-14, 11:08 PM
Nalik

Sinssuret suddenly looks concerned, saying, "Which reminds me. We have yet to test to see if I can leave this place. If you would allow it, I would like to know the truth tonight. I do not wish to become more eager to go with you only to find I still cannot go anywhere."

It seems like everything is in place hear, why don't we go for a walk remembers that Sinsurret has no legser...lets wander a bit to see if there are limitations on your movement.

Nalik will move over to Carter
Sinssuret and I are going to test if his bounds have been removed. If we do not return in an hour, assume we have come into danger. You will be in command until I return.

back to Sinssuret Shall we?

SINSSURET you couldn't have chosen something like Ed or Bob! :)

D' Was that like 1/2 hour hour? It was 7ish at the beginning so I imagine it is either getting or is quite dark.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-15, 05:09 AM
Sinssuret

The orb nods itself affirmatively, but for once, says nothing while Nalik informs his designated second.

Falling in beside the dwarf when the time comes, he floats alongside as they head to the mouth of the forested pocket. At a point just before it spills into the forking pathway, Sinssuret stops dead.

"Here. This is where I could go never go further," he says with obvious trepidation. Every eye focuses forward, apparently at the same spot, and then close.

The orb begins to float forward very slowly, then suddenly...nothing happens. The crickets continue their chirrupping, the nonexistent breeze remains so.

Sinssuret's eyes open one after another, and the ball turns to face Nalik directly, with it's tooth-filled maw wide open. Then it clamps shut for a moment before he says, "Almost forgot we're trying to be quiet." An odd smirk crosses his face, before continuing with obviously suppressed animation.

"I believe I am unshackled, but let's move further along that way," three stalks stretch to point back the way you came through earlier that day, "to be sure. I fear that it could be I have only been granted more tether, but even that is something, and enough to say that I am fully in your debt. It is a core principle amongst my people, whether they still exist or not, that we honor our debts to the best of our ability. Whether intended or not, the actions of you and your contingent have freed me from at least part of my slavery to this place. If it is complete, then I will accompany you as long as you and your superiors will allow it, and offer my assistance as best I can."

There is no mistaking the tone of gratefulness in his deep voice.

"Also, I would appreciate it if you would refer to me as Sin. My inod has...or had...tradition where all others than those we deemed friend would only receive acknowledgement when addressing us by our full names. Admittedly is was somewhat political, but it was primarily a measure of respect. I can only regard you and the others as friend, and so, I would prefer the name Sin, between us. To others outside this circle, I would request you use my full name." His eyestalks align so that one of each set looks into each of Nalik's eyes. "Do you understand why I request this?"

Having dealt with people of various races and cultures, yourself, it is abundantly clear. Despite the request being foreign in nature, the concepts of respect and earned familiarity are hardly unusual.

lawful_evil
2007-09-15, 07:27 PM
Carter

An hour? When it said it was bound to this place, I assumed it meant this particular clearing. Ah, well. He's going to spend time alone with that manipulative floating... He's just asking for Hel's attention.

Carter stands up straight and says, "Sir yes sir."

Hopefully the Norns have their focus on someone else.

anIceFan
2007-09-17, 05:27 PM
Nalik

As Nalik and Sinssuret move along it is easy for newcomers silence allows Nalik to become lost in his own thoughts. He has great concerns about the cohesion of the group. Being fairly new to command, he is often uncertain about the decisions he has to make. It is very difficult for him to order others into harms way, and the inclusion of one in the group who is obviously not pleased with his direction has made him leary. He walks on a couple of steps after Sinsurret stops. He turns to watch their new companion as he tests the bounds of his freedom.

He watches in horror as the giant face starts to contort and grimace in pain. He is just about to go to his aid, when his companion begins to speak.

Sinssuret
"I believe I am unshackled, but let's move further along that way,"...
Absolutely, we will be better served to test the boundaries not instead of in the heat of battle.

Nalik listens as Sinssuret expresses his appreciation for his freedom and offers his assistance.
I am pleased that you chose to join us willingly. Had you not, I would have been compelled to find a way to ensure that you accompanied us. If you are to be our companion I don't want you to enter our troop blindly. You might have heard the discussion about our purpose. We are tasked with securing the safety for the city of Highgate. As a group, we have been together for a little more than a week, in that time we have seen many companions die. We are currently pursuing a foe who has taken on the appearance of a recently departed companion. We will be going into harms way.

Sinssuret
"Also, I would appreciate it if you would refer to me as Sin.....

Nalik starts to chuckle as Sinssuret expresses his desire to be treated as a friend.
I apologize Sin. I must say that it is quite refreshing to meet someone out in the wilds who is ready to befriend us instead of attacking. Be prepared though. Although I am the leader of this troop, and accepted as such be the more veteran members, newer recruits might not be too quick to accept you. I recommend that you have a care with your interactions. For my part, you may rest assured that unless you request otherwise, you will be introduced as Sinsurret.

I am going to assume that the rest of the walk is not unusual.

When the 2 return to the camp.
We have determined that the bounds that held Sin to this location have been removed. We will move out as soon as there is sufficient light.

Nalik then moves off to prepare his bed and goes to sleep until his watch.

dauphinous
2007-09-17, 08:21 PM
Although the day was a long and arduous one, the night seems peaceful and serene. One could almost forget about everything outside this little pocket of tranquility. The darkness is quiet, save for the itinerant crackling of the fire and occasional snore.

Morning comes quietly with a cloudless sky.

Torger
2007-09-17, 08:48 PM
Hengist

Hengist arises with the first light, moving off into the woods away from the camp to perform his morning necessities. Upon returning, he will stir up the fire and break his fast on a leftover rabbit.

oliana0
2007-09-17, 09:36 PM
Oliana

Waking refreshed in the morning, Oliana begins her day with some studying. She seems extra studious this morning and once finished she looks more powerful and almost smarter; well as powerful as a frizzy haired half-elf in oversized cloths could look.

New SPELLS!

anIceFan
2007-09-17, 10:32 PM
Nalik

As Nalik takes his turn at watch, he uses the time to reflect on the past few days. He is concerned that he is leading the group on a wild goose chase. By the time his watch is over and he moves to wake Deladus and Sarrok, he has made up his mind on the next days actions.

In the morning, he wakes refreshed. He takes some time to offer his morning thanks to Thor. He feels his spiritual energies refreshed.

Once everyone has finished their morning rituals, he gathers them together.

We have been following Elis, looks at Oliana Bob and not making our own choices. We have no assurance that he has even come this way. We will return to the trail where Hengist can search for any evidence of movement. If we can find anything, we will continue after the enemy. If not, we will escort Sin to the City.

the only change to spells is trading the purify food/water for create water, which he will use now to refill all waterskins.

WarBrute
2007-09-17, 10:44 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok finshes his watch by gazing at the red sun. Hearing his comrades rosed themselves he stood and nudged Ulfgar awake, who woke with a yawn and a grunt. He pulls out a small portion of trail ration from his pack and shoved it into his mouth whole. Yawning, himslef, he pulls a sadle over Ulgar.

Looking up at the sky he says to himslef "I feel good about today"

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-18, 02:39 AM
~*~ the previous evening ~*~

Nalik: "If you are to be our companion I don't want you to enter our troop blindly. You might have heard the discussion about our purpose. We are tasked with securing the safety for the city of Highgate. As a group, we have been together for a little more than a week, in that time we have seen many companions die. We are currently pursuing a foe who has taken on the appearance of a recently departed companion. We will be going into harms way.

"I understand better now, why some in your company are reluctant to accept me readily. It is, in a way, a good thing. You are wary. Lack of that by our guards cost us all our lives. Despite that sad history, I am conditioned to be steadfast in combat situations. It was part of my inod's training when we agreed to help the King. I will die again, if need be...I have a closer sense of what it means, in any case, and I no longer fear it quite the same as I once did." He paused, then added, "However, I will still attempt to avoid it, of course."

Nalik: "I recommend that you have a care with your interactions."

"I will not insinuate myself toward any of them. I will allow them all to make their own decisions regarding my presence."

~*~ the next morning ~*~

Sin was aware of every movement of the others while stationed near the mouth of the pocket. His eyes hadn't closed except to blink, and his attention had remained sharp the entire evening. His new form granted him the boon of awareness to go along with his offputting appearance. In his idle time, he often marveled at how his full field of view felt both natural and surreal at the same moment.

Sometime during the evening, he had taken a few moments to retrieve the few items he had recovered long ago, on that first period of wakefulness after...whatever had befallen him since his slaughter. A tattered leather harness he'd made himself from the bits and pieces of old leathers from his fallen comrades. It occupied his mind in the long days with nothing more to do. Crude, but functional, it would allow him a place to store the two weapons he'd especially practiced with: a longspear, which he had kept in good condition, and a morningstar, which was now useless and discarded.

So, he floated in place, watching, with the spear stuck headfirst into the soil beside him while the others went about their morning rituals.

lawful_evil
2007-09-18, 06:27 AM
Carter

Carter rises early and prepares for the day ahead. After contorting into his armor, he decides to favor the flail today and stows the sword and shield.

Once he is ready and he sees Nalik preparing for the day, he begins walking around helping people get modivated to move out as well as helping them strap on armor and such mundane tasks.

Annalia
2007-09-18, 07:59 AM
Hertz

It doesn't take long for Hertz to be ready - today he cuts short to his morning meditation. His mind, still ressassing what he knew of Sinssuret, was hardly in any shape for calm and stillness. From his pack he drew out trail rations, but didn't immediately eat.

Instead Hertz walked to Sinssuret and offered part of the rations. "Did you ever eat? Do you even need to?" he asks bluntly as he settles down near their new companion.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-18, 12:36 PM
Deladus

After so many camping breaks, Deladus takes only a few moments to get ready for whatever faced them that day. Taking advantage of Nalik's spell, Deladus filled his waterskins and stood watch while the rest of the group prepared.

oliana0
2007-09-18, 01:11 PM
Oliana

Closing her books and standing up, Oliana looks around at the others. Seeing Sinssuret working with a leather strappy thing, she walks over and offers to help, "Need a --- some help?" Oliana stops herself before she commits a horrendous pun.

Oliana will help Sinssuret into his contraption, and keep up some discussion. "So do you consider yourself more of a fighter? Or do you have magic knowledge? Or both? Maybe one of the persuasion that moves deftly around the battle field taking opportunities while avoiding direct combat? If we get in a fight, it'll be good to know that sort of thing."

So, what class are you S?

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-19, 01:40 AM
Sinssuret

Hertz: "Did you ever eat? Do you even need to?"

Some of Sinssuret's stalked eyes follow Hertz as he approaches, but the orb only rotates when he arrives.

"Good morning to you, Hertz. In answer to your question, yes, I used to eat, like most everyone, I suppose. But in this form, I have never had the sense of hunger or thirst. However, I can still taste and sometimes find some pleasure in just...chewing things. For the texture. Of course, I've only had the opportunity of berries and nuts and whatever else has grown on these trees in each span of time I was out of the darkness. And the small creatures that wandered into this niche. I tend to leave them alone, now. They all taste the same, and fur tends to get stuck between these teeth, though I still enjoy the crunch." The lack of disclaimer regarding munching little forest creatures seemed to imply he found such perfectly normal.

"And thank you for the offer of your food. I will try a little bit, to see," he says tentatively as the great eye glances down at the object in the monk's hand. "If I may say, it doesn't look particularly tasty."

Oliana arrived just then, offering some help with his crude harness.

"Good morning to you, as well, Oliana. This is about the best I can expect this thing to fit, I'm afraid. Perhaps, sometime, I can find a leather worker to improve it." On the topic of the second question, he considers for a few moments before replying.

"I suppose I would fall into the latter category. I know only superficially about magic. I was never trained in the inod that dealt with such things. So, yes, fighting with weapons and harrying the enemy from a bit of a safe distance is, I would consider, my primary approach to combat."

OOC - OlianaAww, that's no fun. It's a secret until someone figures it out. :)

Torger
2007-09-19, 06:46 AM
Hengist

Breaking down his camp and collecting his belongings with the speed and skill of a long-practiced hunter, Hengist is swiftly ready to depart. He is careful to never show his back to the newcomer, especially given its propensity to use the forces of the dark gods to propel things through the air. Ready to depart, he takes up his boar spear and stands with his back against the bole of a tree, watching.

Annalia
2007-09-19, 01:38 PM
Hertz

Hertz looks down on his trail rations, shaking his head. "I'm afraid it's not very tasty at all. But it's easy to transport, doesn't need cooking and sustains us well." He shrugs, obviously not caring overly about the food he was eating this morning. This wasn't the time for a long meal.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-20, 12:46 AM
Sinssuret

"Hmmm...yes. Practical fare. Perfectly sensible. My contingent's guards were men of the land, so we never lacked for food. Well, break off a piece and toss it into my mouth. I'm curious, if not eager, to try it." He manages another toothy grin as he watches Hertz separate a piece, then opens wide as he tosses it into the cavernous maw.

A few moments of expressionless chewing commences. The piece was tiny compared to his mouth, but he seemed to be working it almost like a cow, grinding from side to side, flipping the masticated wad around and grinding it again. Fortunately, he at least had manners enough to close his mouth while doing this. After a quick pause, he opens up again, pushing out the chewed wad with his thick purplish tongue, allowing it to drop to the ground rather than spitting it as might a child with a watermelon seed. It lies there mostly covered in dirt--not a pretty thing.

Smacking his lips a few times, he says, "Thanks for your generosity, but it is as I suspected: terrible. Almost tasteless, and loses its texture quickly. I will not be a strain on your supplies of that item." Again, he seems to derive amusement from the exchange.

OOCPLEASE! Don't make Hertz make an attack roll! I don't need a hunk of trail rations in my eye!

lawful_evil
2007-09-20, 05:37 AM
Carter

Carter continues to walk around an try to get everyone ready to move. When he sees the floater squeeze out a hunk of chewed food, he just shakes his head.

I suppose that will just serve to confuse anyone following us.

Annalia
2007-09-20, 08:15 AM
Hertz

Hertz raises an eyebrow as Sin spits out the ration, shrugging off the waste. "It is, indeed, tasteless." he concludes, smiling. "Well, I think I better pack what few belongings I have. Wouldn't want to delay everyone." He raises to his feet and walks to his bedroll. Storing it, he makes sure he left nothing around and that his book and ink are both back into his pack. Without an armour to don, it takes Hertz only a minute to be done and ready.

dauphinous
2007-09-20, 09:10 AM
At the Fork
9am

The trek back to where the path forks isn't too long, but it does involve going uphill and downhill a lot, and going across one ledge with only 2 feet between the sheer wall on one side and the sheer drop on the other.

anIceFan
2007-09-20, 10:41 AM
Nalik

Nalik will instruct Hengist to search the other branch of the fork for recent tracks.

If they are unable to find any by noon, The order will change to finding a spot where they can secure a rope to belay down the ledge. Preferably on the side of the lava closer to base.

Torger
2007-09-20, 11:23 AM
Hengist

Hengist makes no comment to anyone, moving well ahead of the group, looking for signs of passage by humanoids. As he works, he occasionally mutters to himself about insane outlanders and the like.

raspberrybadger
2007-09-20, 01:07 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Before the party gets going, Ziran mentions to Sinssuret "I'm a leather worker myself, though not exactly a master crafter. I've made pack saddles for riding dogs before, which isn't quite applicable, but its as close as you're going to get in this world to an eyeball sheath. Still, if you're happy with what you've got, I'm more than content in my role as group 'colours, lights, and befuddlement' speciallist. Much less boring than saddle making."

Once the party gets going, Ziran makes sure he has his wand and spell component pouch ready in his belt, tucks his fruit bat in a cloak pocket for the day, and tries to work on the mental discipline so that he is ready for any conceivable ambush - given yesterday, he considers one almost inevitable, but he has given up predicting just what kind of ambush will happen. Since the enemy may well get to strike first, he resolves not to flinch when the attack comes and to immediately return something worse still.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-20, 10:50 PM
Deladys

Caution alerted due to recent difficulties, Deladys readies his weapons and walks with the group, scanning the horizon and cliff walls for more attacks. Be it by dog or once-friends.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-21, 08:37 AM
Sinssuret

In response to Ziran's comments about his leatherworking skills, Sinssuret says, "I would appreciate your help when we next camp. There are two loose bindings, and at least a few thin spots here and there. You would be surprised how long this took me to make despite its appearance."

Once the group began to move along, he fell into position near Hertz, and proceeded along as well as possible while remaining in shadow as much as was practical. He, otherwise, simply kept pace with the others.

As always, his many eyes were sharply alert for movement, flashes of light and other telltale signs of presences beyond his immediate company.

Torger
2007-09-21, 09:05 AM
Hengist

After several minutes the party encounters Hengist leaning against the all of the ravine, having ranged several hundred feet ahead of the others looking for a trail. He is once again, scowling about his assignment, and seems to be waiting to be addressed before speaking.

oliana0
2007-09-21, 09:20 AM
Oliana

Oliana follows along quietly, resisting the urge to ask Sinssuret, "What else can you do? How heavy of stuff can you lift? Can you lift Hengist? What's it like to see all those directions at once? Is it hard to keep track of direction? Does it make you dizzy?" Wizards, like cats, are doomed to curiosity.

When they catch up with Hengist, Oliana's curiosity is held-back no more, "What did you find, Hengist?"

anIceFan
2007-09-21, 11:15 AM
Nalik

When they reach Hengist, Oliana pre-empts Naliks' request for information. He looks at the large man waiting for a response. If one is not forthcoming, he will ask the question.

Torger
2007-09-21, 12:06 PM
Hengist

Addressing his comments to Oliana, Hengist's basso rumble is pitched so everyone can clearly hear him. I have found nothing. There is signs of no passage other than our own. His tone is rather neutral, but it's rather clear he finds the entire exercise to be fruitless, as well as pointless, and it is with barely-restrained impatience that he continues to follow his orders.

oliana0
2007-09-21, 12:55 PM
Oliana

"Well at least we know we weren't followed!"

Oliana shrugs. "So shall we continue on the quest to rid the world of the thing that has been tormenting us and threatenting Highgate?"

lawful_evil
2007-09-21, 02:03 PM
Carter

Oh good, he found nothing. So, that either means he found nothing, or nothing came this way, or everything that came this way was flying, etc.

Carter slowly turns around to make sure no one is coming up behind them and says, mostly to himself, "While 'bob' is clearly tormenting some of us, I don't recall 'him' threatening Highgate. Ah well, orders are orders."

Torger
2007-09-21, 02:06 PM
Hengist

Hengist attempts without success to remain surly in the face of Oliana's boundless enthusiasm, and instead settles for concealing a smile within his great, braided beard. Aye, it does, little alf. That is the question, though. Do we continue to blunder off into the face of repeated traps?

raspberrybadger
2007-09-22, 12:48 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran pipes up saying "If there is a way around the traps straight to impaling this bob nuisance on a lightning bolt, sure, lets take the detour. Just turning our backs on him sounds like just asking for him to jump us when we're not expecting it. Me, I just separate our enemies from their ability to move. Its still up to Nalik when and where we next tangle with orcs too stupid to tell illusion from reality."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 01:12 AM
Sinssuret

"Orcs? I know of them. I am not at all surprised they have survived this long. Breeding like rats, and with nearly everything they can find. But I am curious to know what type of creature a 'Bob' is. I have heard tell of a bobrophek, but that monstrosity would not even fit within this pass."

lawful_evil
2007-09-22, 05:41 AM
Carter

Carter interjects to the snow globe rather gruffly, "Bob is not that bob." Carter has been getting the suspicion that Elisathalan was possessed by a demon or something as he was about to die. How else would he retain his former knowledge and still have gained all these new powers...

Carter steps up when the talk turns to traps and offers, "Excuse me sir, before I joined the Defenders, I had a bit of a side business making traps. As a result, I know a bit about them and may be able to find them and possibly disable them before they are triggered."

Carter looks down, shifts the heavy flail a bit in his hand and then adds, "Its not really my forte, so I can't promise anything. In any case, if I were to take the lead, I may survive any traps which we trigger, what with my armor and general heartiness."

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 07:32 AM
Sinssuret

Carter says, "Bob is not that bob."

In reply, Sinssuret says, "That is a very good thing, then. A bobrophek would just eat us along with most of the terrain we can see, in one gulp. This other 'bob' is nothing to worry about, by comparison."

Annalia
2007-09-22, 01:09 PM
Hertz

"This 'Bob' is a former companion that was possessed, or a creature mocking his form, and us as an extension. It has attacked us repeatedly in the past, killing one of our number in the process. It should be taken care of." Hertz explains, voicing his opinion at the same time. If he had to walk into ten successive traps to get to Bob, he'd likely do it.

What Hertz doesn't realise is that he wouldn't be able to hit Bob once he reached him. :smallwink:

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-22, 03:41 PM
Sinssuret

"I see. Then you are hoping to put his soul to rest? Your enemy appears to be worthy, then," he says, then quickly adds, "By that, I mean to say that your adversary--who or whatever is behind Bob's possession--is one without honor. Sending a once friend against you is an insult and a mockery, and any creature that would do so, deserves to be removed from the world."

anIceFan
2007-09-23, 06:24 PM
Nalik

Nalik takes a moment to ponder the new information, or lack of new information as well as Hengist continued taunts. His face begins to grow red as the anger builds within him.
Bah, it doesn't matter if Bob has used this path or not. It is a means to get through the pass. Part of our task He looks at carter and Oliana is to ensure that is to ensure that enemies can not sneak up on Highgate. We should explore this path and see who or what is using it.

I am taking a little liberty with the task. I imagine part of keeping the city safe is making sure enemies can't sneak up on the city.

lawful_evil
2007-09-24, 07:58 PM
Carter

Carter nods as Nalik speaks and simply mutters, "By your command." When he finishes the directions, Carter more directly inquires, "Shall I take the lead so that I may look for traps or would you prefer I resume my normal position at Read Guard?"

Carter waits for his reply with a weak smile and a hopeful spirit.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-25, 04:04 AM
Sinssuret

At Carter's offer, Sinssuret follows with another. "I may be of assistance in that detail, if you wish. These eyes up above are quite sharp with regard to fine detail. I cannot guarantee nothing of importance will go unnoticed, but I am willing to do my best."

Torger
2007-09-25, 06:50 AM
Hengist

Having been obviously eavesdropping, Hengist butts into Carter and Nalik's conversation. As much as this fruitless and futile chase vexes me, I've no desire to see any of this number dead. I am Vinlander, and more than that, I was to be master of this year's Hunt. I know the land far better than those who hide from it behind city walls, I can track a hare through the densest of brush, and I am more than capable of finding any trap that might be arrayed ahead of us. Hengist looks at Carter and claps him on the shoulder. No offense, my friend, but as we've proven, stealth is not your strong suit. I can walk unseen into the very arms of Hel herself and live to tell the tale.

dauphinous
2007-09-25, 11:36 AM
The Fork in the Pass
Just after 9am

The right fork, otherwise known as the path not yet taken, goes uphill and around a corner to the right just 60 feet away. Right at the fork, mountain walls, rough and relatively natural looking, rise up all around. The path is about 5 feet wide.

A few puffs of cloud float by overhead, marring the otherwise clear sky. You cannot see or feel the sun at this point, but there is plenty of light. The temperature is reasonable for this time of year, and comfortable for most normal folks.

anIceFan
2007-09-25, 03:19 PM
Nalik

As Nalik ponders the groups next move, He suddenly starts to receive volunteers to lead them along the next trail.
Everyone will be where we need them to be.

Hengist, you have spoken at length about your skill as a tracker and trapfinder. Now it is time for you to show your worth. You will take the lead. Next will come Sarrok, I want the two of you to work together to identify and disable any threats you find along the way. Deladus and Hertz will follow. Sin, You will be in the middle, that way your ability to see all sides will be maximized. Oliana and I will follow, with Carter and Ziran protecting the rear.

Lets move out and see where this path goes.

Marching order
Hengist
sarrok
Deladus Hertz
Sinssuret
Oliana Nalik
Carter Ziran

Side by side when we can, if/where it is too narrow, staggered with the right side slightly ahead of the left side.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 12:22 AM
Sinssuret

Sin looked slightly disappointed; but only slightly. It was not his normal task to be either watchman or detector of snares and traps. Such tasks were left to more expendable members of the contingent, but in this different form, it seemed his abilities were being half-squandered.

Even though the shape and demeanor of the dwarf was different than the Key Guardian of his old contingent, his studied belief that a hierarchy must be respected during military maneuvers, prevented any challenge to the decision.

Sin only blinked and, when appropriate, fell into the center position, hiding when the pace slacked and shadows were present, but always floating at the height of his ability, with all eyes alert.

dauphinous
2007-09-26, 06:14 AM
Just around the corner, the path levels out and makes a few additional twists and turns. About 60 feet past that first turn (120 total feet from the fork), the path turns away from one of it’s mountainsides, so there is a steep drop on the left. The path is only about 2 feet wide here after not very much longer. There is a little bit of small stone rubble here and there, and an additional ledge, even narrower than this one, can be seen about 50 feet up. A large bird of some kind can be seen perched on it.

Hengist:It looks like the path is a little unstable. It may collapse in a specific location if more than 15 pounds of weight or so is put onto it. Hengist’s best guess is that the weakened area is 4, maybe 5 feet across.

Torger
2007-09-26, 06:55 AM
Hengist

Noticing an anomaly with the trail, Hengist holds up a hand to halt the others and moves forward to check it out, probing the ground with the butt of his boar spear. Frowning, he returns to the party and makes a general statement. The trail is weak here. None of us may pass in its current condition, save for perhaps the creature. We must either turn back, jump across, or find some alternate method of crossing this portion.

Where's Indiana Jones and his bullwhip hen you need him?

lawful_evil
2007-09-26, 08:37 AM
Carter

When ordered to the rear, Carter simply responds. "Yes sir."

Carter falls into line at the rear of the formation. As the Defenders file into the gap(single file), Carter is sure to make Ziran goes first.

If we get attacked I won't be of much use unless its from behind.

Excellent. Now we can head back to camp and get a restful nights sleep. Maybe I'll even have time to install this trap I've been carrying around with me.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-26, 09:11 PM
Sinssuret

"I have a name. I prefer you use it when referring to me. If you are unwilling or incapable, do not refer to me at all," stated Sinssuret to the mannerless Vinlander. Every eye is open and aimed in his direction; every pair of lids is closed slightly with irises reduced to vertical slits.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-27, 08:49 AM
Deladus

Frowning at the problem they were now confronted with, Deladus comments to Sin, "We've been foiled like this at almost every turn... it's starting to wear on us, I think."

He stands quiet during the small confrontation between the large one and Sin, scanning the cliff face for anything of note.

Torger
2007-09-27, 10:06 AM
Hengist

Hengist entirely ignores the creature's foul mouthings, contemplating the position, and then, without further ado, hops across the patch of path, landing nimbly, and without so much as disturbing a stone.

I will find something to aid in your crossing.

Jump (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1288598)
Balance (1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1288602)

anIceFan
2007-09-27, 11:26 PM
Hengist

Hengist entirely ignores the creature's foul mouthings, contemplating the position, and then, without further ado, hops across the patch of path, landing nimbly, and without so much as disturbing a stone.

I will find something to aid in your crossing.

Wait!
Nalik realizes that it is fruitless to try and stop Hengist as he takes off on the other side of the damaged path. he grumbles well, might as well put all of the wild cards into play.

Sin, how much weight can you carry? Do you think you can carry Sarrok across this stretch? If not, can you levitate him across? I don't want that fool running off on his own.

Nice rolls!

Annalia
2007-09-28, 09:33 AM
Hertz

"Nalik, I may be able to cross, if you think we cannot let Hengist go alone." Hertz says, though he seems reluctant to try. "But I think we can trust him to be careful."

Yeah, -he- gets the good rolls. I wouldn't dare to hope. :smallwink:

lawful_evil
2007-09-28, 03:42 PM
Carter

Seeing Hengist run towards the edge Carter barely has time to think Wait! before the big man jumps across.

Wow. I could probably do that if I didn't have 100 pounds of armor on.

Carter listens intently, but can't quire hear what the others are talking about up front.

I hope they don't think I'm going to be able to jump that. Perhaps if Tanngrisner and Tanngjost come down and fly me across.

oliana0
2007-09-28, 08:56 PM
Oliana

"We could trigger the trap, and then determine what we need to pass over it or climb down and out of it with more information. Rather than JUMPING ACROSS something you DON'T KNOW THE SIZE OF!!" Oliana speaks loud enough for Heingeist to feel chastized by the small half-elf.

"And will someone kill that bird? It's following us, and I suspect it's related to what we are trying to do! Actually, if no one minds...." Oliana pulls out her wand and waits a few beats to see if anyone stops her and if not, she zaps the bird.

Oliana will wait to allow people to respond and stop her, other wise she'll zap the bird. Since it's no fair to roll damage and then allow someone to stop her if she gets bad rolls, Dauph, please roll for me? Thanks!

raspberrybadger
2007-09-29, 12:56 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Hearing a request from his favorite half-elf, Ziran fishes for the scroll of magic missile he bought at Highgate, only to laugh when he finds that she decided to do the job herself - though if the thing survives he will use the scroll to try to finish the job.

dauphinous
2007-09-29, 05:48 AM
Three missiles of force fly out of Oliana's wand, striking the bird in the chest. It lets out an ungainly squawk and falls from the upper ledge, tumbling down the cliff. It lands on the unstable part of the ledge with a heavy thud that almost masks a loud crack sound. The landing seems to only actually be a bounce, though, as the bird continues on down to hit the side of the mountain again and keep tumbling to the depths.

The loud crack is followed by a mild rumble, which is followed by a 4 and a half foot section of the path giving way. The broken up rocks tumble downwards, following the bird on its way down. There is now a gap in the ledge.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-29, 10:02 AM
Sinssuret

Nalik asks, "Sin, how much weight can you carry? Do you think you can carry Sarrok across this stretch? If not, can you levitate him across? I don't want that fool running off on his own."

Diverting a few eyes to the dwarf, Sinssuret remains silent for a moment. Perhaps, a man such as Hengist should meet his god as result of rash actions. However, he had agreed to aid the company as a whole, and his honor constrained him to do so.

He made to answer the question, but was disrupted by the wizard's seemingly unprovoked slaughter of a nearby bird. The animal's demise was of less concern to him than the loss of the section of ledge. His reply to Nalik was now slightly altered.

"I may be able to lift him, and Ziran, but it would be difficult. I was trained in finesse and weapon skills more deeply than control of massive objects. That was left to others," he admits rather disappointedly.

"However, I will now need someone to carry me across or something solid placed to span the gap, as I have not learned how--or if--I can cross an open space such as that without falling through."

He looks somewhat frustrated, in his fashion, but shows no signs of casting blame upon Oliana for the results of her actions.

OOCI suddenly feel like a Dalek at the bottom of a set of stairs.

lawful_evil
2007-09-29, 10:39 AM
Carter

Well, I might as well speak up before they lemming us. Carter offers, "We have rope and someone already on the other side. It should be fairly simple to secure the rope on both sides so we can shimmy across."

Carter turns to the floating abberation and queries, "Can Sinssurerent float across on the rope? Given you have no feet, it is not clear to us how wide a 'solid surface' would need to be."

With that, Carter doesn't wait for an answer and simply turns his back to the group so that he may check the rear to make sure no one is sneaking up on the group.

WarBrute
2007-09-29, 05:09 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Exaiming the gap closley Sarrok says, "Perhaps Hengist can just lie flat across it and the rest of us could just skip over him. Otherwise I think Cater's rope would work."

Torger
2007-09-29, 10:22 PM
Hengist

Hengist is rather surprised as the small girl's ritual stick erupted with bolts of Odin's power to smith the unoffensive scavenger. The reply to Oliana's comment died almost immediately on his lips, and he looks suddenly glad of the newfound space between him and the little witch. Instead, he takes closer survey of the immediate area.

Any trees, rocks, shrubs, or anything within my view that might be used to bridge the gap, secure a rope, or otherwise assist?

oliana0
2007-09-30, 12:34 AM
Oliana

"Well, at least we know how deep the hole is now."

How deep is the hole?

dauphinous
2007-09-30, 06:44 AM
Anyone who watches the bird and rocks continue to tumble can see them get smaller and smaller until they hit the point where this mountain's side meets the next. They all come to rest in a heap at least 200 feet down, probably more. The wall to your side (and below you) is just rock, nearly vertical. A close inspection of that rock does not reveal any convenient locations to attach a rope.

Velvet Elvis
2007-09-30, 02:16 PM
Sinssuret

Had the man at arms that asked, paused a moment, he would have received an answer. Albeit a rather incomplete one. The question was one he'd not had a reason nor an inclination to answer in his testing of his abilities. After all, there were no deep holes or the like, to worry about in that little niche.

As it was, he remained silent on the topic, instead considering solutions to the situation. He, of course, could be carried, or even tossed over such a narrow gap, but the others were a different problem. A tiny smirk played across his wide mouth when realizing how silly it seemed that a narrow gap could stall nearly the entire party in its tracks. Surely, they had some means of managing it.

He voiced the most obvious, for now. "A single piton would allow you all to simply use it as a step to cross over. If one is not available, it looks as though a simple rope about your waist, with Hengist providing some pull while you make the short leap, and help balancing on landing afterwards, should be enough."

Annalia
2007-09-30, 06:33 PM
Hertz

"If Hengist is strong enough to stop most of us from tumbling down the hillcliff, we should be alright." Hertz starts. "Let the lighter go first, they may be able to help him in case something bad happens. Armours could be removed and tied to the rope before being tossed, which would admittedly make crossing easier for some of us."

oliana0
2007-09-30, 07:25 PM
Oliana

"I may have something that would help, though we would have to be careful and distribute loads well. Ziran, do you think a magical web would work? I could span the gap, but it would be sticky; though if we coated it with dust that should relieve some of the stickiness. I would only last 30 minutes, and I can only cast one, so if we go across we'd be stuck on that side until tomorrow."

Spellcraft check? +10 if so. Ziran being the only other magic user here, she'll discuss with him.

Holocron Coder
2007-09-30, 08:27 PM
Deladus

"No offense meant, Oliana, but I much prefer a rope to a 'web' of any sort," Deladus comments, smiling. After a moment, he looks at the gap, gauging about how wide it is and what his chances are of making it across to assist the less strong in getting across.

18 strength, 3 ranks, armorless, running start? Don't have to give me a number, but "easy", "difficult", etc would be wonderful :)

raspberrybadger
2007-10-01, 01:52 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies "Sorry to stick a frog in the cookpot, but that spell is meant for snaring enemies, and risking being stuck suspended between two unstable rocks just doesn't sound like the sort of thing we'd want to do to ourselves. Enemies yes, us, no. This pitfall sounds safer with a rope than with a spell. Besides, if there is an ambush in close quarters up ahead, that spell is too funny not to save for that - I've got a scroll of web lying around for the perfect opportunity, but if you can cast it without a scroll or anything, thats just too useful for so many things to use it when a rope would do the trick. I suppose you could always wait ready to cast the thing to catch someone in case the rope gives way or something - stuck is better than splat."

Ziran all of a sudden gets a sheepish expression on his face when he reallizes how longwinded that was, but it is too late to take back his words.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-01, 11:19 AM
Sinssuret

"Actually, Oliana's web could be used as an aid to getting across, albeit in a somewhat different manner than she suggested. If it seems worthwhile, that is. If she were to cast it on the rock face that spans the gap, one person could tie the rope about themselves with the loose end handled by Hengist, after which that person could use the stickiness of the web to steady themselves as they cross, and with the help of Hengist pulling, be able to free themselves fairly easily from the strands. The stickiness will make the process slow but steady, and that seems to be the point. Not to mention it will certainly help prevent a sudden fall. Use the negative for the positive."

anIceFan
2007-10-02, 12:00 PM
Nalik

As the group considers methods to cross the gap, Nalik begins to wonder if there is a point.

Throw a rope across to Hengist. If he and Carter hold the rope, Sarrok should be able to shimmy across. I want the two of you to explore the path on the other side for a bit. Find out if there are more weak areas like this one. I don't want to get stuck between 2 pits.

dauphinous
2007-10-02, 08:55 PM
Hengist, Carter, and some rope can get Sarrok across with only a modicum of nail-biting. The scouting mission past there commences, with the two men moving off around the next bend and out of sight in less than half a minute.

The trail dips downwards, but widens just a bit so you have about three feet to work with, instead of two.

{Any particular scouting plan?}

anIceFan
2007-10-04, 11:34 AM
Nalik

As Hengist and Sarrok head off to explore the path, Nalik instructs the rest of the group to back up along the path to a wider section. Once there, he instructs Oliana and Hertz to return to the break to await the return of the scouts. The others he has re-arrange so that Carter and Deladus protect the rear (the side away from the break).

lawful_evil
2007-10-04, 03:57 PM
Carter

After helping the littleman across, Carter steps back to watch.

That ledge doesn't even leave room to squeeze by each other. I hope they don't find anything.

dauphinous
2007-10-04, 08:06 PM
Hengist and Sarrok get just around the bend (and just out of sight) when the rock wall beside them moves. A 10 foot span, also about 10 feet high, writhes and wriggles, as if the stone were actually a skin covering millions and millions of swarming maggots.

Torger
2007-10-04, 09:19 PM
Hengist

Sweet Suffering Sief! What devilry is this? Hengist shies back from the wall at first, but cannot take his eyes off of it.

Knowledge checks?

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-05, 04:30 AM
Sinssuret

Sin shuffles back as directed, pausing once to tentatively bend a few eyestalks down and over to view the drop. Not liking what he sees, he realigns himself closer to the inner line of the path, even when it widens.

WarBrute
2007-10-06, 02:20 AM
Sarrok Balderk

"The moutain itself lives" Sarrok backsteps a few paces looking over his shoulder. "Nalik needs to know of this." He hurries at a fast pace around the bend stopping before the gap. " Sir, Nalik. The wall of hardened stone gives away to soft fleah just around that bend"

Torger
2007-10-06, 06:00 PM
Hengist

Hengist begins an examination of the wall, unable to pry his eyes away from it. Tenatively, he prods the writhing mass with the butt of his spear, gagueng the reaction.

dauphinous
2007-10-06, 08:07 PM
At Hengist's prod, a swarm of rock-colored things burst from the rock face, flying through the air and running up his spear. They move quickly, almost too fast for the eye to track. They have too many legs, and short tails, but everything about them otherwise looks just like tiny rocks scurrying up and all over his body.

Hengist feels an uncountable number of sharp, painful little stabbings all over him, and his vision is obscured as they surge up and over to cover him completely. All in the space of a few seconds.

{
Hengist takes 5 damage
}

Torger
2007-10-07, 04:36 PM
Hengist

Thor's beard! Hengist drops his spear with a clatter, but to no avail. He is swarmed with the creatures. As he is riddled with bites, he starts swatting at the creatures, going so far as to throw himself don onto the path and attempt to crust them under his bulk.

Annalia
2007-10-07, 09:35 PM
Hertz

As Sarrock comes running, Hertz turns to Oliana. "I think they'll need help." He drops, stating the obvious, before moving on. "I run faster, I'll get Nalik right away. We'll need to cross over, and fast, so anything you can think of to help - like the web and the wall - might be useful."

He shakes his head and runs down the hill, to where Nalik and the others are waiting. He doesn't stop for breathing when he arrives. "Hengist. Sarrock. Ran into trouble. The gnome said that... the mountain was alive."

anIceFan
2007-10-08, 11:20 AM
Nalik

The mountain is alive? That is preposterous! Tell him to go back and get a more accurate report.

Turns back to Carter and Deladus.
We might need to go over that gap. Do either of yon think you can make the leap?

lawful_evil
2007-10-08, 12:19 PM
Carter

Carter squeezes by people to get up and take a look. Yeah, right. Carter says to Nalik, "Sir, I believe I can make the jump. However, I'm a bit of clutz. I do not believe I'll be able to stay on that ledge. It looks to only be about 2 feet wide. I'd land, bounce, and fall to my death."

Carter steps back to allow Deladus his chance at leaping to his death.

Holocron Coder
2007-10-08, 12:20 PM
Deladus

The fighter looks hard at the gap a moment. "I can't guarantee it with my armor on. Without it, yes."

He waits a short moment to see if Nalik wishes it, then slips off his armor and attempts the jump.

[roll0]

oliana0
2007-10-08, 06:10 PM
Oliana

Oliana guards the pass.

Sorry been out of town and my character can't jump.

lawful_evil
2007-10-09, 05:31 PM
Carter

Seeing Deladus begin to remove his armor, Carter interrupts, "We may not have that long. If indeed it seemed the mountain is alive, it may be any number of things. He may be trapped in a landslide. He may be caught in some sort of insert swarm. Maybe he's being smothered by some sort of elemental."

Carter looks around for support then speaks to Deladus, "If we wait for you or I to remove our armor, he may well be gone, smothered to death or devoured to the bone by insects."

Carter quickly pulls out his rope and hands one end to Deladus, "I can just let him die like this. Hold on tight."

Carter slides his hands down the rope about 15 feet and grips it will all his strength and wraps it around his hands several time. Magni, grant us strength

Carter then leaps out across the gap and lands. However, he lands off balance and tumbles to the left off the edge.

Jump(need to roll a natural 2) and then Balance(need to roll a natural 14). Skipping reflex save and holding onto the rope.
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1308737

Holocron Coder
2007-10-10, 12:35 PM
Deladus

Nodding, Deladus holds tight on the rope, looping it around his arm a few times. When Carter leaps, Deladus stands firm, bracing for any sudden weight. As Carter falls off the opposite edge, Deladus pulls. Thor curse it. What's with our luck.

I guess a strength check? Str 18

dauphinous
2007-10-10, 01:03 PM
As Carter dangles from the rope, anyone who chances to look up can see the top of the ledge moving. It looks like an undulating wave of rock is making its way very quickly towards Sarrok. In all likelihood, it will be upon him in mere moments, even if he runs to the gap.

anIceFan
2007-10-10, 01:11 PM
Nalik

Wait you fool! Cries Nalik, but too late as Carter is preparing to jump over the gap in the path. Nalik then grabs onto the rope and braces against the possibility of Carter going over the edge.

After Carter indeed falls over the edge. He will say to Deladus. Pull, lets get him back up here.

I hope someone is still looking up

oliana0
2007-10-10, 01:52 PM
Oliana

Oliana tries to guard the pass but stops the moment she sees Carter running for the gap. Hurrying to get out of his way, but having little room to maneuver, she does what comes innatly now, and throws herself to the ground and rolls off to the side.

From her new vantage point, she easily sees the mountain coming alive.

"The mountain! It's.... moving." Oliana points to where the ledge is moving. Her gaze drops to her companions to see if they notice, when she sees the two holding onto the rope that Carter had wrapped around himself.

Oliana sighs and peers at the moving rock trying to discern its true nature.

I role-played "looking up" well no?
Knowledge? Nature, Arcana, both at +5
[roll0]

Annalia
2007-10-11, 04:02 PM
Hertz

"Alive summed it pretty well..." Hertz drops, looking at the 'wave' come down quickly on Sarrock. They needed to cross and fast, but they couldn't risk it without a rope.

dauphinous
2007-10-12, 07:17 PM
As those on the far side of the gap heave Carter back onto the ledge, the wave of what looks like rock reaches Sarrok. It seems to burst upward into a swarm of small rocks, each with a tail and far too many legs. He is able to swat one aside as the creatures rise up out of the ledge and move much faster than anything ought to be able to, but they are so incredibly numerous that he is overwhelmed in a matter of moments. Where stood a gnome but a few seconds before, now stands a writhing mass of tiny rock creatures.

The one he swatted aside makes a high-pitched chirp noise and flies into the rock face.

raspberrybadger
2007-10-13, 05:30 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran curses briefly, saying "Badger puke" in a disgusted tone of voice, as none of his mentally prepared reactions are of any use, and most of the rest of the Defenders are largely prevented from giving aid in a hurry as well. However, the word 'puke' gives him a sudden inspiration, and he's out of other ideas, so he aims his wand at the edge of the stone swarm, producing a Giant Bombardier Beetle (13 hp, 16 AC, 10' cone of acid once per round w/ a DC 13 Fort save or take 1d4+2 damage). Acid eats stone, right? It had better.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-13, 01:37 PM
Sinssuret

Watching in horrified disgust, Sin's eyes are all wide open, but his mouth is twisted in a smirk of frustration. He could do nothing to help the little man buried under the tiny creatures.

Then the giant beetle appeared at what his vantage point revealed as only a gesture from Ziran. Sin wasn't sure how that could help flush the swarm of creatures away, but hoped for the best. With nothing particularly encouraging to say, he simple continued to watch.

lawful_evil
2007-10-14, 06:34 PM
Carter

I'm Alive!

Carter straightens himself out and says Nalik and Deladus, "Thanks." Turning to look at what is happening across the gap, Carter is just dumbfounded.

What exactly was I going to do against that?

Carter turns to Nalik and says, "Sir? Would you like me to try again? I'm not sure what to do against a foe like that except smash it."

Can you kill water if you hit it hard enough? I've heard tales of semi-liquid beasts in the dungeons deep under the world. Hitting them just splits them in two leaving you twice as many problems. What was it... fire? Ice? Something was effective against those types of things. Hmm..

dauphinous
2007-10-15, 05:54 AM
Ziran's beetle appears right next to Sarrok and the swarm, then unleashes its explosive outgassing attack. At first, Sarrok feels the movement of many tiny little feet all over him. Added onto that are hundreds of sharp little jabs all over every inch of exposed flesh. Then there is a wave of horribly painful burning all over one side.

Hundreds of little squealing shrieks rise up from the swarm, each too minimal to be disturbing on its own. Yet when combined, they produce a horrid kind of wail that sounds very like fingernails across a slate. Some of the little crawling rocks fall away from Sarrok into the rock, but there are still plenty more.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-15, 06:55 AM
Sinssuret

Heartened by the apparent effectiveness of the beetle's greenish cloud, he says encouragingly, "It's working! Make him do it again, Ziran!"

raspberrybadger
2007-10-15, 11:54 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies in a dry tone of voice, somewhat louder than usual "Its a beetle... I don't speak its language exactly. I'm sure it will do it again as soon as it can. Since this plan involves repeatedly spraying Sarrok with acid while a bunch of stone things chew on him, we might want to get moving on healing him."

oliana0
2007-10-15, 12:20 PM
Oliana

Oliana swiftly returns to her feet and from behind the crowd gathered at the gap in the pathway she calls out, "Excuse me, please!"

If the boys will let her through, she will attempt to attack the swarm with the wand of magic missle.

[roll0] I think it's three missiles.

anIceFan
2007-10-15, 01:18 PM
Nalik

Responding to Ziran, with a little heat in his voice. At this distance there is very little I can do for him. Any benefit that I can give him will also benefit the creatures attacking him. I will use that only if required to keep him alive.

Responding to Carter
We need to get to them. Go ahead and give it another try.
As he says this, he takes a tighter grip on the rope.

He then calls to Sarrok, Can you come back this way?

Wow, that sounds kinda brutal.
D' can I get a health check on Sarrok?

lawful_evil
2007-10-15, 03:58 PM
Carter

Carter Lets Oliana do her thing and then steps back up to the edge. Carter makes sure Deladus and Nalik have their end and slides his hands down the rope about 15 feet and grips it will all his strength and wraps it around his hands several time. Magni, grant us strength. I wish I'd paid better attention in religion. Who is the god of balance? Whoever you are... please!

Carter then leaps out across the gap and lands. However, he lands off balance and tumbles to the left off the edge.

Jump(need to roll a natural 2) and then Balance(need to roll a natural 14). Skipping reflex save and holding onto the rope.
Jump Jump Jump to my death! (1d20=6, 1d20=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1317563)

Carter dangles at the end of the rope, 15 feet down into the gap. I have this strange feeling of deja vu.

Holocron Coder
2007-10-16, 08:35 AM
Deladus

Deladus grimaces and braces the rope once again as Carter dangles in the pit. Once motion has stopped, he'll assist in pulling the dangling man back out of the hole.

I have a +3 reflex... should I try? :smallbiggrin:

dauphinous
2007-10-16, 09:12 AM
The beetle spews again and the swarm continues to...well, swarm Sarrok. The vaguely gnome shaped pile of little rock creatures remains where it is, writhing like a pile of giant maggots. Oliana's wand produces three missiles that are swallowed by the swarm, their effects not visible. Glimpses of Sarrok can be caught here and there. he is most assuredly still standing, but seems to be having trouble getting past the shock of being engulfed by hundreds of tiny things.

Carter is hauled back up quickly.

raspberrybadger
2007-10-16, 12:56 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran knows his beetle won't last forever, and this is working but taking too long, so he uses the wand to summon a second beetle to get twice as much acid in the air. He also calls out "Acid seems to do something to them - if anyone has a flask of acid to spatter all over the place over there, now is the time to do it. We were already going to have to heal Sarrok after this was all done."

oliana0
2007-10-16, 06:18 PM
Oliana

Foreign words spew from Oliana's mouth, gutteral and obviously a curse of frustration. "Sarrok, drop and roll!" It works for fire.

Once Sarrock is down, or it appears that he won't drop immediately, she will cast web over the area where the creatures are trying to include the area just on the other side of the gap.

WarBrute
2007-10-16, 10:57 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Now covered in bugs and beetle acid, Sarrok is just able make out Oliana's command to drop. He falls prone and looses his dagger from its sheath. stabing at anything around him.

dauphinous
2007-10-17, 12:08 PM
Sarrok drops and it feels like maybe he caught a few of the critters under himself. Although he is able to pull his blade, he takes a blast of acid to the face from the new beetle before he can use it properly. The webbing that appears directly after the pair of beetles spew prevents him from doing anything else, or from rolling off the edge, and also seems to have caught the swarm.

Thick, sticky webbing covers the entirety of the visible portion of the ledge on the other side of the gap. Sarrok is completely hidden from view, and all the little rock things you can see are wriggling like little flies. Now that they are no longer quite so swarm-y, you can make out that each one has eight legs, a long tail, and has a furry little body somewhat like a spider, though if you had to put a name to it, 'mouse' seems almost more accurate with the pointed muzzle, actual size, and whiskers. Their coloration makes them difficult to distinguish from the actual rock.

{
You can now jump across without having to make the Balance check, but you'll be stuck in webs as if you failed the Ref save.
}

WarBrute
2007-10-17, 03:33 PM
Sarrok Balderk

The gnome lays motionless uder the webbing.

Annalia
2007-10-17, 08:57 PM
Hertz

Trusting the web to save him from a deadly fall, Hertz finally takes his chance at leaping. He makes his way to the edge of the ledge. "Nalik! Sarrock and very likely Hengist need help. I have to make that jump, and quick." He is looking quite specifically at the rope tied around Carter, a measure of safety he would not spit on.

raspberrybadger
2007-10-17, 09:52 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran just chuckles, thinking to himself Well, we solved the enemy problem with magic. Now I just sit back and watch everyone fix the new problems we created. Like dropping Sarrok unconscious with beetle acid to the face. And putting a giant web in the only path to get to him, and Hengist too. But hey, we solved the enemy problem with magic all right. Besides, unless I can think of a way to capture some of these stonebugs for later use, we may get to witness a web and bug bonfire.

While listening to himself think, Ziran watches the Hertz and whoever else crosses with some interest, but he is a little detatched. For him, it is sort of like the now almost routine of finishing off orcs dropped by a color spray - the exciting bit is over, and he's letting himself rest from the adrenaline of combat against yet another ambush out of no-where. He's lost count of just how many different angles the Defenders have been attacked from, and the whole pattern is really playing havoc with his nerves.

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-18, 04:33 PM
Sinssuret

"Ahh, well done, Oliana! That should hold them at bay."

oliana0
2007-10-18, 05:35 PM
Oliana

"Okay, Sarrok's immediate danger is on stand by. We need a way across this the sooner the better, Heingeist is likely in worse shape. Everyone with a weapon 2' or longer get it out. Rope too. Does anyone know how to make a net? The ground on the other side is sticky so making a net and tossing one end of a net across will hold temporarily, We have spears? Can Sinsurret stake a net in place from a distance with spears and daggers? I have daggers, throwing ones too. Then we send a light person over, crawling, who can test it and set it more firmly."

Annalia
2007-10-18, 06:25 PM
Hertz

"Just tie me! I can make that jump. I can help Hengist. But I'd rather not risk falling if I can avoid it!"

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-18, 06:33 PM
Sinssuret

Sinssuret blinks several times, all at once, as he considers Oliana's request.

He says, rather dubiously, "If you're asking whether I can force a spearhead or dagger into a stone ledge, I'd have to assume not. I've never tried, but it seems unlikely. I would also think the blade edges would risk severing any net we could make, as well, once it is pulled taut. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you have in mind."

oliana0
2007-10-18, 09:55 PM
Oliana

Oliana moves back through the ranks at the gap allowing Hertz to jump over, "Whatever, jump! Do we still have those flasks of cure potions? Take them with you!"

"In the mean time, a net! If we have enough spears, we can hook the net over the un-sharp part of them, or if we don't, we'll have to send over someone who's light to deal with this." Oliana starts sifting through her pack. "Drat, why is everything I have that could be useful flammable?"

I remember getting them, and I don't remember using them (but it's been a while and it could have happened. Anyone know who's carrying them?

And seriously, Alchemist fire, tindertwigs, lam oil, candles, torches.

Hmm, how big are torches? Never mind she's only got three.

lawful_evil
2007-10-19, 05:21 AM
Carter

Carter tries to follow what Oliana and the demon globe are saying, but can't quite figure out what they want to do... so, Carter slowly slides back to his place in the marching order. After looking around a bit to make sure nothing has been sneaking up on the group, Carter relaxes a bit and waits for orders.

Annalia
2007-10-19, 11:16 AM
Hertz

"Whatever jump!"

That was more an incentive than Hertz needed. Tired of waiting, knowing Sarrock and Hengist would need help soon - if they didn't already, Hertz took a deep breath and jumped. Too bad for the rope.

He had learned to keep his balance even with his twisted anatomy, and bent slightly to the side as he sprang forward. As long as he made it to the other side, he'd at least be alive. He'd deal with the web later.

Jump check: 1d20+2=21! (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2354) I say, as long as I'm desperate, I can do something.

He landed smoothly, used the momentum to avoid getting stuck in the web. It wouldn't do any good to be immobilised there. Quickly, he checked how wounded Sarrock was, but he was more focused on reaching Hengist.

Reflex Save: 1d20+6=25 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2355). That's... a second 19. :smallbiggrin:
I'd also like a Heal check to get an idea of Sarrock's health (I'm close enough to see him, right?). But unless Hertz sees his situation as really urgent, he'll carefully move through the web and try to get to Hengist.
Heal check: 1d20+6=22. (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2356)

anIceFan
2007-10-19, 11:41 AM
Nalik

I need to get across there, but there is no way I will make that jump. Carter, those webs look like they will help you with the landing. DO you feel you can give the jump one more try. We need someone on the other side who is strong enough to hold a rope to shimmy across.

Holocron Coder
2007-10-19, 03:17 PM
Deladus

Watching the proceedings with some measure of helplessness, Deladus continues to hold onto the rope, waiting to secure it across the gap. At least the panicking part is over with...

lawful_evil
2007-10-19, 04:03 PM
Carter

Having slunk back to the rear of the party, Carter was startled by the request that he jump to his death again.

*sigh*

Carter turns back around and marches. Moving forward in the ranks, Carter says, "The jump I can make. Lets hope the webbing holds my weight."

Carter grabs the rope and, following orders, jumps over the abyss to the far ledge. His feet grip the ground, due to the webbing, this time, even though he leans way over and probably would have fallen if he weren't stuck fast.

Jump(need a 2) (1d20=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1325443)

Carter twists around and hold the rope tight so that people may use it to cross. Not that the ledge is wide enough to pass by Carter, but...

dauphinous
2007-10-20, 05:45 AM
Hertz gets a double blast of acid to the back as he pauses where there is a small lump in the webbing and takes a few moments to do what he can for Sarrok. The gnome is no longer in immediate danger, but he is still unconscious and in poor condition. Carter is now over the gap and between the two beetles and the gap.

A few of the tiny rock creatures go still and limp under the acidic assault, but there are still hundreds more squirming helplessly and making a high-pitched shrieking noise.

{
Sarrok is stable at -3 now
Hertz takes 12 total damage, but shields Sarrok from further harm
}

Annalia
2007-10-20, 01:06 PM
Hertz

Hertz gasps in surprise when his back is sprayed with acid, and as soo as he is done with Sarrock, he turns back. "Ziran, can't you tell them to stop that while we get the gnome out of here? This is causing more harm than it's helping right now."

"Carter, don't you have a dagger or something like that I could use to cut Sarrock out of the web? We want him out of the acid sprays as fast as we can."

Velvet Elvis
2007-10-20, 05:30 PM
Sinssuret

Though it hardly showed on his peculiar visage, Sinssuret was relieved to see that things were finally coming to hand. He remained nearly touching the face of the stone wall, allowing those who needed, to pass by simply by dropping down and allowing them to carefully step over him.

Continuing to watch ahead, and all around, for that matter, he'd already formed a plan to cross the gap when the time came.

raspberrybadger
2007-10-21, 06:46 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies in a lighthearted tone of voice "Sure, I'll get working on that right away."

[OOC:] One beetle ought to disapear immediately, and the other ought to last only one more round, right? The duration on the spell is only 3 rounds, unless something funny is going on.