PDA

View Full Version : The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

dauphinous
2007-03-15, 06:37 AM
Chapter 2: “Questions, questions, and they only lead to more questions.”

Highgate: the city that stands between the barbaric orc, gnoll, and kobold clans of the north and the civilized Imperial lands to the south. A brave band of soldiers patrol the lands around the city, battling small force incursions. Ten days ago, twelve set out to take up the mantle of the Defenders of Highgate when their predecessors went missing. One fell, but was replaced with an elf ranger liberated from an orc raiding party. Then she fell, along with two more. We find the Defenders now, having just tended to their dead and accepted a new member.

As it stands now, they are aware of a friendly elf in the wood to the south and east, an angry rat that dwells under their very feet and seems to command a troop of wererats and dire rats, and a clan of orcs utilizing a nearby mountain pass. The Defenders have two clear goals, but the paths to the completion of their missions are murky at best. Where is the Comm? Does the rat have it? Or perhaps the orc clan? Or could it simply be lost or amongst the bones of some creature’s den? Who is this ‘Astryn’ that supposedly leads the orc clan? How does a human end up as chief of an orc clan? What sort of man would want that job, anyway? And why did he think the Defenders were no more? What happened to the Defenders that they needed to be wholly replaced? Why were they only reinforced with one, instead of the three that would fill out the unit? What was that dragon doing there? What does Deladus’ dream mean? Was it the same as Ulrick’s? What would that signify? The questions just go on and on...

---

With the funeral and burial completed, everyone but Sarrok and Carter return to the camp. Elisathalan and Deladus set to the task of repairing the broken furniture while Hertz stands watch. Kruhljak, Ziran, Beregond, and Nalik set to the discussion of where to place the traps. The actual placement of the traps will take very little time, perhaps 10 minutes for all eight. Oliana begins scribing her scrolls.

Sarrok and Carter

The small orc encampment has signs of having been picked over by wild animals, but is otherwise as it was left. The smell coming from the large stewpot is disgusting and the dog won’t go near it. After spending roughly an hour going over the whole area carefully, there seems to be nothing else of note here.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-15, 07:51 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

With the discussion of perimeter defenses in full swing, Kruhljak tosses his ideas into the mix.

"We have four inroads to the cave, and enough traps to create a fair obstacle if needed. If we assume that any intruder with intent to harm us, as opposed to a random animal, will likely keep to the rock faces for cover, we have no need to set traps in the center of each path. For our benefit, that would allow us to easily circumvent them as we go about our normal routines."

As he speaks, he points out the general directions for emphasis, and traces lines on his hand to illustrate his suggestions regarding trap placement.

"Further, we might consider building some simple fence barriers to close off that narrow northern gap and possibly others as needed. There is likely to be some variance in opinion with regard to putting up permanent barriers, so I further suggest we build any such things in pieces which can be put into place and removed easily for those times when we decide to leave the cave entirely. It will provide us some added protection while here, and not be obvious while we're gone. Though we will still need to consider how to hide this gaping hole while away, else it makes no sense to bother hiding our presence at all."

He takes a moment to scan the area, stepping away and here and there to gain a better vantage point toward the gaps between rock formations.

When he steps back, he adds, "Of course, there are enemies that can fly or otherwise scale such simple fences--and even the rocks themselves--so I would further suggest we invest in guard dogs. What to do with them when we decide to leave on a mission, is to be considered, though. But I daresay some of us would make as much noise as a barking dog simply by walking down a path, so perhaps it doesn't matter--we could take them along."

Apparently having decided to leave his concepts rudimentary to allow for input, he relaxes a bit and awaits the inevitable comments.

lawful_evil
2007-03-15, 07:51 AM
Carter

Now fully awake and having had time to think a little during the walk out to the orc encampment turns to Sarrok and asks, "I may have missed this while I was sleeping, but how did Highgate command learn of our situation? I mean, they poof into the camp with orders for Cpl. Nalik, a replacement team member, and a greaving mother. How did they find out Kylin and Mira had died?"

Carter looks around the camp some more and after smelling the stewpot continues his discussion, "Are we being watched somehow or did Highgate command have something to do with the deaths?"

anIceFan
2007-03-15, 12:18 PM
Nalik

Nalik listens to Kruhljack lay out his idea for fortifying the cave.

That sounds like a good plan. I think we will need a great deal of wood to make that possible. We can check with Elis to see if he thinks we will have trouble with the druid.
ELISATHALAN!
Kruhljack has a plan for setting up some defenses around this camp. I want you to listen to them and let us know if we will have opposition to harvesting resources.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-15, 01:31 PM
Elis

Elis jumps up a good deal faster than he himself would have expected. His face is full of trepidation as he looks in the direction of the voice. Nalik, had, after all, used his full given name. Then he composes himself and goes to meet Nalik.

"Yes, sir?" he says, then looks to Kruhljak, all attention.

Blinkbear
2007-03-15, 05:14 PM
Beregond

"Like me, you mean?" he asks Kruhljack as he mentions people moving and making as much noise as dogs, after all he was wearing a banded mail. And that one wasn't silent at all. His voice sounds friendly, he's smirking a bit, he obviously doesn't feel offended or the like. He just wanted to say something, but in this moment they were interrupted my Nalik and him calling Elis, so he stays silent.

WarBrute
2007-03-15, 05:32 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Cater I have to say that is a good question." He stops for a moment to think. " I see no reason for them to send some to spy on us when they could easly approach us, Perhaps it is a trick of magic" He shifts position in his saddle. "There is no reason to dwell on what we do not understand."

anIceFan
2007-03-15, 05:58 PM
Nalik
Nalik waits for Kruhljack to retell his plan to Elis, once completed;
You are more in touch with the trees. Do you think you or that druid will have a problem with us harvesting material for this? We are probably going to do it anyway, I just want to know if we are going to have a problem.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-15, 09:59 PM
Deladus

At the moment oblivious to the planning of the others, Deladus continues working on the piles of shrapnel that used to be comfortable beds, hoping to get those in some shape for use first. After all, a seat can only be sat on, a table can only be eaten at, but a bed can do all the above, plus be slept on.

raspberrybadger
2007-03-15, 11:25 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran, seeing in Beregond a potential fellow joker, says "Oh, no, my friend. You have your work cut out for you if you want to even come close to catching up in the 'making totally extraneous loud disturbances while in camp' rankings we've got going.'"

After having said that though, he settles down to get ready to help with whatever traps or walls are being set up first.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-16, 01:26 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Beregond says, "Like me, you mean?"

"You and Carter, in particular, but myself, Nalik and Deladus, as well. We all announce our arrival a bit too early in some cases."

Nalik says to Elis, "You are more in touch with the trees. Do you think you or that druid will have a problem with us harvesting material for this? We are probably going to do it anyway, I just want to know if we are going to have a problem."

Before Elis can reply, Kruhljak adds by way of reinforcement of the basic idea, "In fact, do you think the druid might be willing to direct us to trees that would be most suitable and not in areas where bringing them down would cause collateral damage to animals or habitats? Fires replenish and invigorate forests naturally, but culling trees in denser sections also helps limit the spread, so in that light, I don't see that he should be entirely averse to some conscientious logging on a small scale, and for an arguably good cause."

ampcptlogic
2007-03-16, 08:06 AM
Elis

Elis considers all of this in silence for a moment, then says the last thing Kruhljak probably expects: "Kruhljak is right. I was about to advise trying to find trees which are already dead and to strongly advise against cutting any oaks, but asking Leislyrin directly would be the best course. I believe he would allow what we are likely to do even without explicit permission, but the polite course is usually best."

anIceFan
2007-03-16, 12:07 PM
Nalik

Nalik stops and thinks for a moment.
Why don't the four of you go and find this druid. Elis you can approach him and raise the subject, Kruhljack can explain exactly what kinds of trees we are looking for.
While you are there, he has some information that I want.

I want to know what he knows about The Brain. How many rat colonies are around here? How extensive is their lair. What does he know about their dealings with the previous Defenders.

I want to know about his dealings, and relationship with the previous defenders.

I want to know if he knows anything about this orc clan, and specifically about Astryn.

You can take the cart and whiteboots. There is a wood ax in the back, if you have time you can start harvesting materials today.

Time check?

lawful_evil
2007-03-16, 01:36 PM
Carter

Seeing the wisdom in Sarrok's words, he says, "You are right. However they were able to know, they knew. Hopefully, should worse come to worse, they will know when our new leader is in trouble and come to help."

After an hour of searching the camp, Carter says, "I don't really see anything of note here. Why don't we continue up the river as ordered."

After a couple steps and the resultant noise, Carter says, "Hold up Sarrok, can you give me a hand removing my armor?" Carter will stows his armor in his backpack and wraps it in a blanket to muffle it as best he can. He then ties up his flail and switches to trident and shield in the hopes of being a little more stealthy.

{{ AC 11 }}

Taking another step and snapping a twig, Carter says, "Why don't you walk in front by at least 30 feet just in case. Take it slow, we can rush on the way back to camp to make up time, if we need to. And... maybe you'll see any foes before we get seen."

dauphinous
2007-03-16, 02:25 PM
The early afternoon sun is warm and pleasant as Carter and Sarrok make their way up the river. Buzzing cicadas and chirping birds lend an idyllic feel to the land, making it difficult to believe the danger that you know is all to present. Their progress can be noted from the camp, as the mounted gnome is easily visible. Carefully watching for any more signs of the fallen Defenders, they move slowly upriver. About an hour after leaving the small forest, the land begins to be dotted by rocky patches. Carter notes something in an odd shade of green in his peripheral vision off to the left, away from the river.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-16, 05:43 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods to Elis. "True. Deadfall will work just as well for our purposes so long as it isn't entirely dessicated or wormeaten."

Then to Nalik's instructions, he nods again, remaining in the prevailing informality of their unit. "I'll get things under way."

Moving into the cave to collect his pack and flail, he exits headed toward the grazing area to collect Whiteboots and hitch him to the cart. He then leads the pony to Cinnamon and mounts up, still holding Whiteboots' reins, and leads the cart back to the others.

"Which of you will be driving the cart or leading the pony, whichever suits you?"

OOC Feel free to interject as needed. I'll amend my post to suit.

WarBrute
2007-03-16, 07:58 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok simles "Of coarse." He slides Ulfgard and assists Carter with his armor.

He rides silenty along river trying not to break his concentration

ampcptlogic
2007-03-16, 11:58 PM
Elis

"I think I had better stay standing, whatever I do. I can lead Whiteboots by the halter, if that will suffice."

raspberrybadger
2007-03-17, 06:12 AM
Ziran Blueboots

With Elis leading the cart, Ziran loads and readies his crossbow, mounts up, and prepares to head out alongside the cart. He is all too aware of the number of different enemies that might attack, so he suggests "If we are attacked, I'll try to hold the area around the cart and drop the first few ranks of enemies when they charge. Unless they've got archers or something." His tone is a little grimmer than is usual for him, though the idea of defending a cart brings a little glimmer of humor to his eyes.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-18, 03:35 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak tosses the reins to Elis, saying, "As you see fit," and nods to Ziran as he sets out his plans.

He looks around for Beregond, finding him standing off a couple dozen paces by the cave mouth. "Beregond! Mount up and let's get a move on. Take the cart's left flank opposite Ziran; I'll ride point. We shouldn't need a rear guard for this, but you three should spare a frequent glance behind just in case."

He turns again to Elis to ask, "Are you certain you wouldn't rather drive than walk? It may speed things along." He didn't follow through with the 'and might provide a more pleasant view' part.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-18, 10:43 AM
Elis

Elis takes the reins and replies,"I'm quite sure. I'm accustomed to more sleep and less tumult, so the last day and a half has done more to test my limits than anything else I've ever faced. That last bit of rest did wonders for me, but I am still afraid I might fall asleep again if I allowed myself the luxury of driving this cart. And if there are archers, Ziran, we have one of our own. Answering arrow for arrow should be no difficulty."

oliana0
2007-03-18, 11:56 AM
Oliana

Oliana blocks out the chatter and works at her scroll work during the light of the day.

Annalia
2007-03-18, 12:08 PM
Hertz

Hertz stands guard on the rock until Deladus comes to switch with him. He did not mind the position at all, it gave him time to think. As long as he didn't fall into deep reflection, he'd do just fine.

anIceFan
2007-03-18, 08:02 PM
Nalik

As the 4 "scouts" head off to search for the druid, Nalik begins to pace about the entrance to the cave. He had now sent out 6 persons into danger. After a few minutes of futility, he enters the cave to assist Deladus (or Hertz) repair beds.

raspberrybadger
2007-03-19, 04:05 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies to Ellis, with a twinkle in his eye: "Ah, I have no doubt that seeing which side can get shot the most times with arrows would be funny. How about you play that game fair and square, each side taking its turn shooting, and one of us goes ahead and cheats for you as soon as possible. Then, you get to play your game, and I get to play a much less sporting game where I see how many hapless foes want to walk into a single blast of twisting colors. Twice the amusement, none of the casualties. Well, on our side at least."

That said, he takes up his proper position and resumes his watchful guard as the group heads out.

lawful_evil
2007-03-19, 05:28 AM
Carter

Upon noticing something, Carter begins walking a little slower while intensely focusing his gaze in the direction of the object. After a couple of moments, Carter harsely whispers, "Psst, hold up, check this out. Looks like a bundle of green cloth."

Once Sarrok stops and turns around, Carter will motion with his hand off to the left and try to use hand signals to indicate distance and direction.

Carter slowly turns all the way around to scan the surroundings to make sure this isn't an ambush and then slowly and carefully approaches making sure there are no traps set in the grass between his position and the cloth.

dauphinous
2007-03-19, 06:39 AM
Carter & Sarrok

Not seeing anything else nearby, Carter crouches down and begins moving slowly towards the thing he saw, checking the ground carefully as he goes. He reaches the object without issue and finds it to be a portion of a suit of green-dyed leather armor lying in a heap. Which part it might be exactly is difficult to tell without picking it up, or at least straightening it out. It has several rips edged with dark stains.

{Int checks from both of you once you see it.}

Elisathalan, Ziran, Kruhljak, Beregond

You reach the edge of the forest and plunge in, scanning for enemies while also checking the nearby trees and deadfall for size and suitability. There is no sign of Leislyrin.

{Search or Survival checks for the type of wood you are looking for.}

Hertz, Nalik, Deladus, Oliana

Hertz can see that Carter stopped and tracked off to the side, but loses sight of him. Nalik and Deladus together have been able to get another bed in working order so far. Oliana has an hour in on her scrollmaking.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-19, 11:24 AM
Elis

Elis tries to find trees which are not oaks, but cannot manage to distinguish between the varieties.

{{I rolled a 1 on my survival check}}

lawful_evil
2007-03-19, 12:58 PM
Carter

Once close to the bundle, Carter glances over at Sarrok and says, "Say, doesn't that look like Allianne's armor?"

Carter uses the tip of his trident to flip the item over, nudge it, etc before leaning over to touch it himself. Once in hand, Carter examines it closely attempting to discover how to came to be here. Was it ripped off? Did it snag on something?

How does the grass look underneath? Discolored and wilted like its been covered up for several days? Any way to tell how long this has been here?

Maybe I should do something distinctive to my armor so I can leave parts of it behind as a trail if I get captured.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-19, 02:42 PM
Deladus

Satisfied with getting a single bed working at the moment, Deladus stands up, thanks Nalik, and heads outside. Once he finds Hertz, he says, "We managed to get one bed back into a single piece. We can probably do for a few more, if you want to go do that. I'll take the watch now."

WarBrute
2007-03-19, 05:52 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Perhaps, I can't be sure" Sarrok said riding up beside Carter." In any case Nalik will want to see. If you can take back to the cave I can continue up the river to serch for any more items of intrest ."

raspberrybadger
2007-03-19, 08:09 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Survival check (1d20=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=928128)... Ziran says "Are we even sure what the trees we want look like?"

dauphinous
2007-03-19, 09:05 PM
Carter & Sarrok

The leather looks like the torso part, and your best guess is that it was ripped off of a body, rather than being removed freely. The grass underneath it does look wilted and bleached, like it might have been here for at least a couple of days, probably more. The slashes in the leather all have the dark stains, but there are also little marks that could be from very small teeth that have no dark stains, and the armor is generally abraded a little. It would be a reasonable conclusion to suggest that once removed from its owner, it was dragged by some kind of animal to this spot. It could also have just blown here and been sampled by local fauna. Or any number of other things may have happened to it.

Annalia
2007-03-19, 09:57 PM
Hertz

Hertz nods to Deladus and waits for the man to come up. He then points at where Carter and Sarrock went off trail, and where they disappeared from sight. "Our scouts left the trail they were using, I believe they found something. You should keep an eye on that area for sign of them."

He then climbs down and joins Nalik for the bed-repairing task, explaining what he gathered to him too. "I think Carter and Sarrock found something, they went off trail. They might be coming back soon."

anIceFan
2007-03-19, 10:14 PM
Nalik

Nalik brightens up at the prospect of the scouts returning.

lawful_evil
2007-03-20, 06:39 AM
Carter

Carter raises an eyebrow at Sarrok and says, "I'm sure he'll be interested, I just can't see how this is critical enough to leave you here alone. I'm sure it can wait a little so we can return together."

Carter nods back in the direction they were going and says, "Lets keep going a little further." Once walking, Carter stows the fragment in his backpack.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-20, 10:00 AM
Elis

Having been apparently rendered momentarily stupid by recent events, Elis finds himself unable to make more than general observations about what's going on around him. He can differentiate between a tree and a bush, but that's all. He takes a deep breath, clears his mind, and tries again, looking for dead fall or burnable live wood. He decides not to worry about whether the tree will fight back before he actually finds a likely candidate.

{{I got a 21 this time.}}

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-20, 03:33 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Once inside the treeline, Kruhljak reins in Cinnamaon and proceeds at a slow walk, casting his gaze from spot to spot, from tree to tree.

"Well, I must admit this is hardly my area of expertise, so if you wish to avoid oaks, one of you will have to be the one to make the determination. Most look the same to me."

OOC Survival check: 1d20+0-> [6,0] = (6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=929532) - well, this ain't my bag, so I know little more than what a tree is. As for a knowledge (nature) check, I could only max a 10 untrained, which I suspect is likely not enough to matter.

WarBrute
2007-03-20, 11:23 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok sniffed then and turned back to the path they were follwing. "I not completely useless Cater, but if it does your conscience good, please tag along." He turns Ulfgard around and heads back to the front

ampcptlogic
2007-03-21, 08:15 AM
Elis

"I already tried picking out the oaks, and couldn't. Now, I'm just trying to find something that will serve us. If it's still alive, I'll make sure it's just a tree. If not, we can cut it down, or pick it up, as the case may be, with impunity."

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-21, 12:45 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Still looking about as Elis replies, Kruhljak's eyebrows shoot up in surprise at his mostly unhelpful reply.

"I must admit, I expected you to be more familiar with this task. In any event, I suspect that if we start hacking into anything we shouldn't be, we'll know soon enough."

He wheels Cinnamon and looks straight at Elis. "Alright, let's get this underway. Do you see any likely prospects from here? I see several saplings that appear suitable in terms of size, but I'll have to leave it to you to determine if it's not...whatever it is you..." He stops and sucks a tooth in something resembling confusion, and simply turns away.

"I see three candidates nearby, over there by the bushes with the triangular leaves." He raises a gloved hand and points toward a trio of saplings. "Let's go have a look and hopefully get started. We should be able to get several decent lengths out of those, alone. And there appear to be several more like them a bit farther down the line."

Clicking his tongue to get Cinnamon moving again, he heads toward the nearest prospects.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-21, 01:06 PM
Elis

Elis notices the rapidly elevating eyebrows and reminds himself he's supposed to be keeping his big, currently useless mouth shut, especially around Kruhljak. He nods his acknowledgment and agreement.

He looks at the saplings through the trees. He leads the cart over to the trees. Once there, he stops and stands trying to determine what kind of trees they are. He draws another blank. Sighing heavily and wanting very much to curse his own mediocrities, he tries to reason it out another way. Dryads were creatures of legend, were they not? They should need full-grown trees, not little saplings. And the saplings didn't look oak-ish. He had never heard of an oak with triangular leaves. He grabs the axe, sets himself to do the cutting, and swings at the base of the sapling. He might not be the strongest person in the group, but if something went horribly wrong, he, the only one among them who could speak Sylvan, would be the one responsible.

{{Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+2)[6]}}

dauphinous
2007-03-21, 01:25 PM
Carter & Sarrok

Continuing the trek upriver, the ground gradually changes over to being rocky and becomes steeper. If you continue this way, you will end up in the mountains. After another hour, you have traveled three more miles without seeing anything else out of place. You think you could reach where the mountains begin in earnest in another hour.

Elisathalan, Kruhljak, Ziran, Beregond

Nothing bad happens when Elis hacks into the trunk. After an hour of searching around and hacking away at tree trunks, both standing and not, you think you have enough for the proposed fence. The branches from those trunks that are not suitable for that task can also be collected for the smoke experiment.

Deladus, Hertz, Nalik, Oliana

Deladus is able to see two tiny figures in the distance come into view and, after a little bit, can determine that they are headed away from the camp aloing the river. An hour has passed, and Hertz and Nalik have made some good progress on another bed.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-21, 05:02 PM
Deladus

Noting the presence of the figures along the river, Deladus takes a moment to ponder what to do. The men, or whatever they were, were heading away from the camp. However, they could still be a danger, or perhaps a source of information.

Deciding, with the recent effects, to err on the side of caution, Deladus climbs down the rock and peeks into the cave. Speaking to anyone he can find, he says, "Two people are near the river. They aren't heading here, but they are nearby."

anIceFan
2007-03-21, 05:46 PM
Nalik

Responding to Deladus, Nalik leaves bed repair and heads outside.

Can you tell if it is Sarrok and Carter.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-21, 06:07 PM
With the wood stacked in cords and placed in the wagon, alongside a pile of strippings, the fences were one step closer to being built and put to use.

"Looks like we have enough for now. We can always return if we need to, so I suggest we head back. Are we all ready?"

ampcptlogic
2007-03-21, 06:54 PM
Elis

"I'm ready," he says simply, taking Whiteboot's halter lead, and turning the animal around.

oliana0
2007-03-21, 07:52 PM
Oliana

Yawing a bit, Oliana enjoys the peace and quiet which happens so seldom. She is somber, but her health is so improved from the day before it is hard for her to feel terrible. She takes the time, after finishing off some scrolls, to journalize the current whereabouts of the group. She tries to find if any scraps of her previous messages still remain, but fears they too were distroyed by the vermin.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-21, 09:42 PM
Deladus

Deladus looks to Nalik and shakes his head. "Couldn't tell one way or the other. Too far away to really distinguish them. Again, it may not be anything, but I thought I should report it."

WarBrute
2007-03-21, 10:18 PM
Sarrok Balder

Sarrok slid of his mount and pulled him over to the water. He pulled out a chunk of meat and tossed in to Ulfgard's mouth. He waits a few moments for Cater to reach his position.

"What do you think? I doubt Nalik would want us to travel over the moutian with out futher instruction." he splash some water on his hands and face. "But we might as well get to the feet of the moutian" He waits for Cater's respones.

anIceFan
2007-03-22, 11:43 AM
Nalik

Thank you Deladus, we are currently under-manned to investigate. Unless, Oliana do you have any ability that allows you to see at a distance?

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-22, 05:28 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Assuming the silence of the others as a sign of agreement, Kruhljak nods and trots out ahead of the wagon, recreating the order set on the way out.

"Alright, then let's get on back. Eyes and ears alert. Never know if there are any log-stealing goblins about," he says with what tastes like sarcasm-laced humor.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-22, 07:26 PM
Elis

Not breaking his silence, Elis nonetheless grins at Kruhljak's joke and draws a dagger with his free hand as if to say, "I'm ready for them."

lawful_evil
2007-03-23, 06:00 AM
Carter

Looking to Sarrok, Carter says, "I agree. I don't think we should attempt to climb any mountains. The terrain requires too much attention and focus which would leave us vulnerable to ambush. I don't see any reason not o scout out to the base of the mountains though. So long as it is open and flat we might as well continue. If the terrain starts getting rocky or if our view is too restricted we should just head back. No reason to push our luck."

Looking up the slope towards the base of the mountains, Carter says, "Maybe another 1/2 hour or does your mount need a break?"

WarBrute
2007-03-23, 04:55 PM
Sarrok Balderk

The gnome nods looking up into the moutians. "Let him eat his meat it won't be long. He pats Ulfgard on the head. When he has finshed Sarrok walks beside his dog insted of on top. He also has loaded his crossbow.

dauphinous
2007-03-23, 06:22 PM
Carter & Sarrok

The ground slopes a little more upwards as you go, and becomes more rocky. The grasses give way to prickly shrubs and stunted trees. About twenty minutes after your brief halt, Sarrok spies more dyed leathers and some beige cloth caught in the shrubs about 15 feet away form the rive on your side of it. The scraps have numerous rips and dark stains.

The Lumberjack Quartet

The short trip back to the camp is made without incident.

Back at the camp

Just moving specks before, it is no longer possible to actually see Carter and Sarrok. They have clearly chosen some path other than returning to camp.

WarBrute
2007-03-23, 06:31 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok stops and looks at the cloth. He poits with the crossbow Carter, look more leather. He walks slowly towards it. He begins untangling it when he reaches the brush. " It looks like just as damaged as the last one we found" He brings it back a places it in an empty saddle bag.

dauphinous
2007-03-23, 06:49 PM
Carter & Sarrok

As Sarrok reaches to take the leather, he notices something white under another shrub, just a little farther away. There is also what seems to be the shredded shirt of a suit of chainmail stuck in the lowest branches of another shrub just a little beyond that.

lawful_evil
2007-03-24, 06:39 AM
Carter

Looking around at the small scraps, Carter says, "There seem to be quite a bit of debris in this general area. Maybe we should bring the others back to do a more thorough search? Maybe Elis will be able to find a trail leading to or from this area."

Whilst looking around to memorize the area Carter says, "The cloth and leather scraps may have just blown here on the wind, but not that chainmail fragment. Something must have happened right here." Once the area is memorized, Carter says, "Okay, grab what you can and lets head back to camp."

WarBrute
2007-03-24, 10:24 AM
Sarrok Balderk

He nods and grabs the chain mail along with the rest of the leather and cloth. Places the items in differt saddle bags tryikng his best not to unbalance Ulfgrad with the heavy chain.

"Yes lets head back with haste. What ever could have done this may still be near" As they head back Sarrok walks beside his dog and carries his crossbow.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-24, 03:07 PM
Deladus

His report given, Deladus returns to the lookout rock outside and continues scanning the surroundings, glancing now and again at the position where he saw the figures.

oliana0
2007-03-24, 03:40 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks up as if she had not really been paying attention. "I'm afraid that I don't have any special spells that allow me to see great distances."

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-24, 04:11 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak chuckles at Elis' mock bravado, and says, "Aye, that should keep them all at bay if they're smart."

~~

Leading the lumberjack quartet and cart, the trail back to the camp yields neither additonal conversation nor goblins interested in log thievery. So much the better that the ratio of excursions ending in dire shape is now a bit more balanced than before.

Arriving within the assumed borders of the camp, Kruhljak dismounts and begins removing Cinnamon's barding in anticipation of releasing her toward the grazing area.

He says to the others, "Find a clear spot near the cave and dump the wood and branches. No need to be fancy, as they'll be sorted through fairly soon, and if you can do it before I can, please let Nalik know we've all arrived back and that we have no incidents to report."

Patting Cinnamon on the neck, he returns fully to removing the barding.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-24, 04:57 PM
Elis

"I'll go," he says, leading Whiteboots and the cart back toward the camp. He picks a spot and stops the cavalcade, then goes to find Nalik.

"We're back. We've got a load of materials, but saw no sign of Leislyrin," he tells the Dwarven squad leader.

anIceFan
2007-03-24, 07:33 PM
Nalik

<Dwarven>Narf</Dwarven>. I want to talk to that druid.

Nalik will proceed outside to help unload the cart.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-25, 10:12 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

Releasing the last strap, Kruhljak slides the remaining piece of barding from Cinnamon's haunch, slinging it over his right shoulder. The sorrel, knowing the routine, hops slightly as she canters quickly toward the grazing patch. Her master bends, retrieves and slings the remaining pieces of barding over his left shoulder and trudges heavily toward the cave.

On approaching, he notices the cart first, then Elis and Nalik exiting the cave mouth. He nods to them both, and says, "I'll be out in a moment to help unload. Just need to set these inside for now."

He then disappears inside, stacks the barding carefully near the still intact barrels, and exits, heading for the cart.

dauphinous
2007-03-25, 11:35 AM
Carter & Sarrok

The white object turns out to be three long bones. A quick mental comparison between Carter's arms and legs and the bones suggest they might be human. Base camp is about 8 miles away now, and it will take a good hour and a half to get back with Carter going as fast as he can to keep up with the dog.

Base Camp

The sorting goes quickly, and you soon have two piles of wood: one with logs for your fence, and the other with wood ill suited to that task.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-25, 05:11 PM
Elis

Looking at the piles of wood, he realizes that he has no clue what Kruhljak intends to do with it. He admits as much. "What's next? Do we dig, or lay things out, or lash them together?"

lawful_evil
2007-03-26, 05:21 PM
Carter

Just keep walking. Just keep walking. Just keep breathing. "Geesh, doesn't that dog ever get tired?"

dauphinous
2007-03-26, 06:00 PM
Elisathalan, without any apparent guidance on the fence, sets to doing something useful: repairing the furniture with Nalik and Hertz. Deladus keeps watch. Kruhljak, Ziran, and Beregond stand around. By the time Carter and Sarrok come back into view, another two beds have been repaired. By the time they make it all the way back to camp, the total number of useable beds is up to 8. Aside from that, you have one whole water barrel.

It is evening, about dinnertime.

Annalia
2007-03-26, 07:08 PM
Hertz

A bit tired of repairing beds - and his stomach grumbling - Hertz gets up and lights a campfire. "I'm no professional cook, but let me take care of dinner tonight." He goes back into the cave and looks through the provisions left for something consistant enough to satisfy both the lumbers and the scouts, who likely were exhausted.

anIceFan
2007-03-26, 07:12 PM
Nalik

Nalik joins Hertz as he gathers the goods to be used in preparing dinner. Once Hertz has all materials Nalik will offer a prayer to Thor to purify the food.

purify food & water

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-26, 07:35 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

When Elis asks about the plans for the wood, Kruhljak replies, "Well, first task is to size them so they're reasonably uniform, then lash them together into five foot wide panels. Once we get that done, then comes the digging of the shallow trenches, and lastly the fixing them together and to whatever supports we have on either side. Pretty simple, really, but it'll take a few hours."

He kicks at the pile in idle thought, then adds, "As for the branches, I'm not entirely sure what they're for. Someone mentioned something about using green leaves or branches to make smoke? I assume that's expected to be useful if, or when, we tackle the rathole situation."

Kruhljak nods to Elis when he excuses himself to tend to other things, then goes through the ritual of removing his armor, setting the plates inside on his pallet before returning out front to begin the work on the fence sections. But before he even starts, he pauses and gazes at the stack of narrow logs, then turns to survey the various access points leading into the cave entrance area.

A few more glances around inform him that Nalik is likely inside, so he returns, once again, to the innards of the cave and locates Nalik as he works with Hertz to prepare dinner.

"If you wouldn't mind, when you're through here, I'd like to discuss where I'll be placing the first sets of fences. I have the logical points in mind, but I'll need your confirmation to set them up." Following the last word he becomes quiet and still, standing with hands clasped behind his back, watching the dwarven priest in anticipation of his reply.

Annalia
2007-03-26, 07:53 PM
Hertz

Hertz smiles as Nalik prays for the food and nods. "Thanks, that should help with the taste."

ampcptlogic
2007-03-26, 08:06 PM
Elis

When the instructions on the fencing come, Elis hears them, and replies, "I hear. If light remains to us after supper, I'll help."

Secretly, he hoped someone would ask for a song after supper, to give him the chance to sing and play again. He wanted to do so, but the decision belonged to others just now. If none asked, he would content himself to continue working, or resting, and to watching Oliana.

anIceFan
2007-03-26, 08:24 PM
Nalik

To Hertz with a laugh,
Unfortunately, Thor is not much concerned with our taste buds, The only thing for certain, is that if we die because of the food, it will be your cooking.

To Kruhljack,
Certainly. Lets take a look at what you have in mind.

Annalia
2007-03-26, 08:34 PM
Hertz

"I'll keep that in mind." He chuckles before focusing on the actual meal. It wouldn't do for him to get distracted by the defense plans as he cooked.

((I'll just take 10 for 14.))

Holocron Coder
2007-03-26, 10:06 PM
Deladus

Still outside, Deladus scans the horizon, mostly oblivious to whatever goes on inside the cavern base.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-26, 11:14 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Accompanied outside by Nalik, Kruhljak directs him around the side to where the raw materials had been laid out.

"Alright, now based on my earlier suggestions, we can build five foot wide segments that can be easily lashed together with rope to form wider sections. Effectively, as long as we can secure the materials, we can make as many as we feel the need for. For now, we have, I'd gauge, enough lumber for about five segments. The only purpose at the moment is to help cut off a few of the entry points we either rarely or never use. Ultimately, these can be used as close-in barriers which can provide cover for us if we happen to be the target of raiders, but those will need to be built more sturdily and provide for arrow slits and such things. For later. Right now, we can fashion and erect these across two of the four narrow points. We can also add gates at some point, when we have some additional time."

His torrent of explanation paused, he looks at Nalik, then quickly adds, "I just need to know which two points to close off for now. We'll deal with all the rest of the issues after we retrieve our next batch of lumber. Oh, and the branches you see here, are, if I'm not mistaken, intended to be used to smoke out the rathole. I seem to recall Oliana mentioned something about the green branches producing a large amount of smoke."

He knew this sort of dull academia would probably bore Nalik, but unless he conferred autonomy on him with regard to the fencing and such, he'd have to hear the entire plan every time.

WarBrute
2007-03-27, 11:25 AM
Sarrok Balderk

As soon as He enters camp, Sarrok slides off his mount and walks over to Nalik. Without preamble Sarrok begins " Nalik, Cater and I followed the river to the base of the moutain. Half way there Cater spoted some green armor laying on the ground. It is in his pack, here he comes now. " He points to Cater "Then at the base of the moutain I found ripped cloth and some chain" He pulls the Chainmail and cloth out of the saddle bags and holds them out to Nalik.

oliana0
2007-03-27, 11:43 AM
Oliana

"I'm not an expert at armor and clothing, but I know a little about the history of the area. Maybe they have some marks that I may recognize. May I see what you have? And when Carter returns I'd like to look at the armor. Green armor seems fairly unique."

Oliana will look over the items for any signs of historical significance.

[spoiler]
{OOC: [roll0]}

anIceFan
2007-03-27, 11:54 AM
Nalik

Nalik listens attentively as Kruhljack explains ad-nauseum about constructing the fences.
Beyond saying that We need to maintain access to our water source, I am not sure that the order in which we block off access is of great concern. I believe you have the best vision as to what and how to construct our defenses. I will leave you in complete authority on what and how to construct these walls.

Nalik is admittedly a bit rushed towards the end of the conversation, because he has noticed that Sarrok and Carter are newly returned. He heads towards the duo at the same time as Sarrok approaches him. He listens a bit more attentively to the words of the scout than he did of the engineer. Taken to offered materials he examines them.
Thank you Sarrok, Hertz is inside preparing an evening meal, why don't you take a moment to rest. We will want to take some time after eating to discuss what you have found.
Nalik then examines the scraps to try and determine if he can determine what they were before they were rags.

Nalik is trying to determine what part of the armor, or clothes they were. Did the scouts return the bones too, not that I know of them or anything :)

lawful_evil
2007-03-27, 07:38 PM
Carter

Looking to Olianna as she examines the armor, Carter says, "Yes, the green armor is quite unique. Of course, I only met her once briefly, it looks like Allianne's armor." Turning his attention to the remaining scraps and chainmail, Carter says, "I don't see anything unique in the rest of this, but it doesn't look like it was just dropped accidentally. It looks like it was forcibly removed."

Carter, still a bit out of breath sits down and drinks heavily from his canteen while pondering the situation and occasionally watching 'the boys' build their little fence.

oliana0
2007-03-28, 07:20 AM
Oliana

"Yes, your recollection of a recent person wearing this is probalby more information than I can recall without access to a library." Oliana hands the items back to Nalik.

anIceFan
2007-03-28, 12:04 PM
Nalik

Nalik takes the goods being passed by Oliana. He turns it over, trying to determine if he can figure out what caused the damage.
Allianne, was she one of the previous Defenders?

A little louder, so that everyone gathered can hear.
Hertz should be just about done preparing a meal, lets eat and we can discuss what you have found.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-28, 01:44 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods to Nalik, and says, "I'm not a master craftsman, but they'll be done up as well as possible given our resources. I'll get started right away."

As Nalik moves off to meet the returning scouts, the would-be carpenter selects and lays out, side by side, eight logs, then realizes he's forgotten to bring out the necessary rope.

Heading inside, he's about to collect a few lengths, and hears Nalik's informal instructions to prepare for the evening meal. He hadn't actually noticed the results of Hertz' efforts, but now that his attention was directed towards it, he had to admit it smelled good. Whatever it was.

Straightening his tunic, azure blue dyed despite his usual penchant for shades of red, he takes the nearest open spot beside the gathering group, and awaits his supper.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-28, 02:44 PM
Elis

Upon hearing the summons to supper, Elis leaves the pile of wood arrayed around him and settles himself close to the group. He has been trying to mentally rehearse the re-construction of the beds so he will be better at it in the future. He thought he saw the remains of another bed that might come together quickly on the morrow, but Kruhljak needed help with the fence, Nalik needed to talk to the druid, and Carter and Sarrok had come back with something. Gods only knew what they would actually be doing from one day to the next.

He begins to hum absently, then stops himself.

Annalia
2007-03-28, 07:00 PM
Hertz

Noticing everyone gathering around him, Hertz finishes the meal before giving each of his companions a fair share of the supper. He then takes a more comfortable seat himself, choosing a spot near their new recruit. "Hello. I think we didn't have time for a proper introduction. I had to run off with Elis - he can get distracted sometimes. I'm Hertz, and welcome to the group. Try not to get killed."

ampcptlogic
2007-03-29, 10:46 AM
Elis

Elis takes his portion of the meal, waits for one of the group's clerics to bless it and then eats. He listens to the conversation going on around him and smiles at Hertz's "He can get distracted" comment. Toward the end of the meal, he shivers a little and begins to move closer to the fire.

oliana0
2007-03-29, 12:06 PM
Oliana

Oliana stands and stretches a bit before lining up for dinner. She'd gotten used to more manual labor with resting and studying taking a back seat. Two days of barely moving had taken a toll on her; she is stiff and could use some exercise before heading back to bed.

"Kruhljak, if you'd like some help after dinner, I may not have all of my strength back, but I'd like to get some work in to justify this meal. Is there anything I can do to help?"

lawful_evil
2007-03-29, 12:56 PM
Carter

Smelling the food, Carter invokes his inate track by scent ability and finds the food. Mumbling to himself, "Don't skip a meal, you never know when your next one will be."

As Carter eats, while sitting on the floor, he asks, "So what are we building outside? Some sort of motte and bailey?"

anIceFan
2007-03-29, 05:51 PM
Nalik

[ooc I am hoping that at some point Carter or Sarrok tell us about Alienne. But I am going to move on]

As they all gather to eat, Nalik asks for Thors blessing on the food. ANd then proceeds to eat. Towards the end he addresses the group.

In the City, you often see groups of musicians performing together. They are each playing their own part, but they are all aware of how it works with the whole. Whenever the group becomes more than 4 or 5, there is usually one person directing the others.

We are a bit like one of these performing groups. We all have our skills, and we all will benefit the group in our own way. But until now we have been acting as solo performers. Highgate command has determined that I will be directing this particular group. Over the next few days, I will try and determine what each of us has to offer, and build upon our strengths.

As of now, I believe we have had a number of somber and trying days. Elis how about a song to lighten our spirits.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-29, 06:10 PM
Elis

"With pleasure, ai'atar," Elis replies, and goes to get his lyre. When he comes back, there is sweat standing out on his forehead and his pupils are dilated. He sits down and closes his eyes against the fire, which is suddenly far too bright. He looks flushed. He begins to play, but his fingers lack their usual quickness. The song - something quick and joyous - is still good, but not more than passable by the bard's own high standards. As the song progresses, he begins to shiver more noticeably. Then, at last, his fingers fail him and he hits three sour notes in quick succession. He stops. "My apologies to you all. I feel rather poorly all of a sudden."

Taking ten on the first perform check, deliberately botching the second

Annalia
2007-03-29, 08:20 PM
Hertz

A frown creeps on Hertz' faces quite quickly, and it only grows worse when Elis hits three wrong notes in succession. He wasn't a professional in songs and such, but he knew enough to tell something was up with Elis even before that. "Sit down, lad. You don't seem in any mood to play." With a look at Nalik and a half-smile, he adds in a low voice "It's not my cooking."

lawful_evil
2007-03-29, 08:38 PM
Carter

After Elisathalan finishes his song Carter stands and goes over to maintain his gear. Clean off his weapons and check for damage to his armor. After getting absorbed in the work Carter realizes something...

Having forget that the whole group hasn't been together the whole time...

Carter approaches Nalik and says, "When the four of us... Sarrok, Kylin, Brineal, and I were originally recruited into Defenders, and after we completed basic training, we were introduced to three people. Torian, a old dwarf was one. Arrinistyll, who was to be the squad leader was the second. The third was Allianne. She seemed human, fairly old, perhaps mid 30s. She seemed an archer and she had a strong healthy handshake."

After rubbing his head and cracking his neck, Carter adds, "I think that was the only time I met her. I don't really even know if she was supposed to be in the squad or if she was Arrinistyll's commander or what. I'm afraid I was bit overwhelmed with meeting new people at the time. Sorry."

Looking to the scrap of armor... Carter adds, "I'm afraid something may have happened to her. We didn't see signs of battle, but given the number of artifacts we found in that area, I would have to guess some sort of battle happened. Chainmail doesn't just blow in the wind."

Carter looks at Nalik and raises an eyebrow as if to say, 'Well, what do you think?'

Holocron Coder
2007-03-29, 11:28 PM
Deladus

Eventually having smelled the food and the conversation drifting from the cave, Deladus takes a good look around, then quickly ducks into the cave and closes the door behind him.

Quietly, and with a mind full of thoughts, he gratefully takes a portion of the meal. While eating it, he quietly listens to Carter's recap from across the room.

oliana0
2007-03-30, 08:14 AM
Oliana

Oliana sets down her empty bowl, and moves over to Elis. "Are you okay? Maybe you should lie down." Oliana will help Elis to one of the fixed beds and try to determine what ails him.

"Nalik? Beregond? I think one of you should also take a look at Elis."

Take 10 on heal (15) to determine what's wrong with Elis.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-30, 08:36 AM
Elis

Elis responds to Hertz's suggestion by sitting down and hugging the lyre to his chest. When Oliana offers her help, his face brightens noticeably. He responds in Elven, "No, I don't think I am." Then he accepts her help in getting to a bed. Once he is lying down he looks up at her and says, "Thank you."

Then he looks at the group of Men and Little Folk around the fire and says a bit glumly to Oliana, "At least one of us has enough sense to stay out of trouble."

If 15 beats the DC for diagnosis:
The rat-bites he suffered yesterday look like they're inflamed and infected.

anIceFan
2007-03-30, 11:22 AM
Nalik

Carter begins to inform Nalik about the previous defenders, just as Elis begins to show signs of taking ill. Torn between hearing the report and responding to their ailing member, he chooses to let the new guy show his mettle.
Beragond, see what you can make of that.

He then turns back to Carter,
I am sorry, continue.

He listens attentively as Carter finishes his tale.
Ok, people Carter thinks we have a lead on the position of some of the old Defenders. I am going to assume that they had the comm device. Everyone finish up any tasks and lets get to sleep early tonight. We head oot at dawn. The watch order will be Ziran, Kruhljack, Nalik, Deladus, Hertz.

Thank you Carter.

Having finished with Carter, Nalik moves over to where Beragond and Oliana are attending to Elis.
What seems to be the problem. I didn't think Hertz cooking was that bad.

oliana0
2007-03-30, 02:17 PM
Oliana

Oliana will point out the wounds to Beragond.

"He has some severe looking wounds here from the rats. I've seen this before. It's Flith Fever and will take at least the night of tended bed rest to recover. He may not be at full health in the morning even so."

When Nalik joins them she will provide him with a summary and include, "I would volunteer a shift tending to him this night, but I still not fully recovered from my injuries."

{OOC: By injuries I mean the strength drain and not any HP damage.}

ampcptlogic
2007-03-30, 02:34 PM
Elis

After Oliana explains her own need for rest, Elis thinks, So much for that idea. There is a look of vague disappointment in his eyes.

As he hears the order of watch set and their orders for tomorrow being given, Elis tries to relax and put himself to sleep. They might need him and certainly couldn't afford to leave anyone behind to tend him. He begins to strum the lyre absently, choosing a much simpler tune than the one he was playing earlier. Another old lullaby, played in a minor key.

Annalia
2007-03-30, 02:53 PM
Hertz

"Nalik, if you desire to tend him longer tonight, I can take your watch shift tonight. I don't mind, and I should be alright if I get some sleep immediately. Would also be better if you switched the order so that my entire watch is done in a row." Hertz adds. He seems to want the shift rather badly: it made him feel useful in some way, even if it wasn't battle. Hertz was also starting to realise that every night people need to be tended to, and that one more with the skills to do so wouldn't be a bad idea. I should ask Nalik to teach me a bit when he has time...

raspberrybadger
2007-03-30, 02:59 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran says "Some of the rest of us, and our mounts, got bitten too. Probably not by the same rat, but its likely enough that the rats would give each other the disease easily enough, to pass it on to us."

"Also, since I'll be on first watch, do we have a good way of waking everone up in a hurry if I see a bunch of things invading us? I was thinking a rope leading down from the lookout post, to a pile of firewood or something, so I could pull the rope to make a noise to wake everyone up, and then get started on an illusion right away instead of having to climb down in a hurry. Does that sound like a good idea? Or has someone already put something like that in place?"

anIceFan
2007-03-30, 06:15 PM
Nalik

Nalik listens to Oliana's assessment of Elis's condition. He then takes a look at the bites himself.
Thank you Oliana, I want you to be at full strength tomorrow. I am sure you are tired of bed rest now, but it is only for a little longer. As for you Elis, it doesn't look like you are too bad off. You might not be that comfortable tomorrow, but you will certainly be making the trip.

This last bit is said in a much sterner tone.
Is there anyone else who forgot to mention that they had been bit by rats.

Hertz, yes that is an excellent Idea. The new watch order will be Ziran, Kruhljack, Deladus and Hertz. If you can all extend your shifts a little so that it is not all on Hertz, I would appreciate that.

Ziran, I don't believe anyone has developed an early warning system of that sort. Why don't you and the other watchers see what you can put together for tonight.

take 10 for an 18 on heal or Elis and Oliana

Holocron Coder
2007-03-31, 12:23 AM
Deladus

Blinking, then smirking, at the rapid chnge of watch orders, Deladus simply decides to salute with a joking grin. Quickly, he walked to the bed he reconstructed, set his armor and gear aside, before going to sleep.

Sleeping until his watch.

dauphinous
2007-03-31, 11:03 AM
The night passes quietly. Just as the pre-dawn light begins to brighten the sky, Hertz notes a small brown bird that flies up and lands almost directly next to him without fear. It seems to have something tied around its leg.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-31, 04:01 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

...at dinner...

Oliana offers her help with the fence-building, to which Kruhljak replies, "Certainly; the more hands at work, the faster, and likely, better the results. It shouldn't take long, in any event."

Soon after, Carter inquires as to whether the plan is a motte-and-bailey affair.

Kruhljak chuckles knowingly, and says, "I suppose you could look at it that way. If we consider this big rock we're living in to be a motte and a watchman at the top to be sitting in his own little castle, then I'd say the grounds near the cave could qualify as a bailey. Then again, I don't think Nalik is keen on the idea of hemming us in, just yet. For now, just a few cutoffs to slow down any intruders that might think to come through one of those narrower points. Given the simplicity of the job and abundance of materials, even a little extra obstacle in our favor is worthwhile."

...at dawn...

The tousled sandy-blonde head of Kruhljak lies quietly upon his rather too-firm pillow, perhaps dreaming of having seen something on an ultimately pointless watch the previous evening. Better to dream in bed than on the rock, though.

Annalia
2007-03-31, 07:59 PM
Hertz

Hertz watches the bird come with a frown, but doesn't ring the alarm just yet. It was a single bird, and there was nothing else around. The frown deepens when he sees the bird is carrying something. Hertz crouches and slowly approaches his hand to take the object off. I have a tendency to deal with birds when on watch... It better turn out better this time. He examines what the bird brought carefully.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-31, 10:21 PM
Elis

Evening . . .

Elis nods in acknowledgement of Nalik's words. "I expected nothing else, ai'atar."

Then, he rests.

Morning . . .

Elis awakens feeling somewhat more healthy and spends his period of morning concentration sitting on the bed, singing to himself. He feels the essense of the music return to him and rises, smiling and whistling to himself.

He goes to check on Oliana. "How did you sleep," he asks, in Elven.

{{Upon DM correction: DEX damage is healed, CON damage healed by 2}}

raspberrybadger
2007-04-01, 01:14 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran wakes up, looks outside for a bit, and then says brightly to anyone listening "A wonderful morning to you all, and a wonderful morning it is. This is almost restful - nothing attacked us for all yesterday. Does this mean we get to take the war to the rats now?"

anIceFan
2007-04-01, 01:44 AM
Nalik

Nalik wakes at dawns first light from an odd and fitful night of sleep. While everyone else is still asleep, he sits on his bed in thought. As the others begin to rise, he asks Carter to prepare the group to move out. Those who take notice would find that the Dwarf is somewhat distracted, not even checking on his charges until they are just about to leave.

oliana0
2007-04-01, 01:13 PM
Oliana

Waking after a good nights sleep, Oliana feels well improved. When she first rises, she intends to check on Elis, who apparently is intent to check on her. "I'm much better. All better in fact. How are you feeling? I should check your wounds again."

Take 10 on checking his wounds. For 15.

ampcptlogic
2007-04-01, 04:21 PM
Elis

He smiles. "I'm glad you're feeling better. I feel much improved. Still weak, somehow, but as nimble-fingered as ever. Be as thorough as you please."

Annalia
2007-04-01, 04:49 PM
Hertz

Seeing the encampment awaken as he scans the letter attached to the bird's leg, Hertz decides to come down and find Nalik. "Sir, a bird just brought a letter for Beregond." He hands the small letter to the dwarf. "Do I go back up there?"

Holocron Coder
2007-04-01, 06:49 PM
Deladus

Eventually rousing from his sleeping, Deladus looks around the small cavern to see who is awake already. Noticing the two half-elves, he snickers to himself before watching Hertz entering the cave and talking to their leader. Deciding to wait for some sort of announcement at the moment, Deladus gets ready for the day, donning his armor and strapping his weapon to his waist.

Once this is done, he'll walk over towards Nalik and Hertz to see what the fuss is about, greeting them with a casual, "Good morning, Hertz, Sir."

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-01, 07:32 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

It's been several days since Kruhljak has awakened feeling in tip-top condition. The vile blood of the belladonna has finally been filtered away, and the fighting man's most obvious asset returns to full force.

He rises, clapping his hands together to initiate a simple calisthenic as he strides directly out into the morning's growing light. The forming cluster of his fellows is ignored, though he wonders about the presence of the bird. If it were anything of importance to him, he was sure someone would find him outside easily enough.

A deep breath of cool, crisp air taken, he begins an aggressive ritual of muscle warming via several minutes of leaping gaps between marks in the dirt followed by climbing and descending the watch rock a number of times. The sheen of sweat across his body indicates he'd be including a short swim before breakfast, if at all possible, and not just on his own behalf.

As his routine draws to a close, he sends himself to the grazing area to groom Cinnamon.

anIceFan
2007-04-02, 11:56 AM
Nalik

Lost in his own thoughts, Nalik barely pays attention to what Hertz is saying, as he takes the note. The question about returning to the lookout does make it into his brain though, and as Deladus offers his greeting he responds to both,
Good morning Deladus, Hertz, there is no need to head back out to watch. We will be leaving shortly. Go ahead and prepare yourself, it looks to be a long day.
Nalik can not help but have a small smile on his face. Without thinking, he opens the note and begins reading. The smile diminishes greatly as he reads the firs couple of lines and realizes his mistake. He makes his way over to Beregond and wakes him.
With apologies, I began to read this note before I realized that it was addressed to you.
Nalik will wait until Beregond finishes reading the note.

Once done with Beregond, Nalik will head back to his bunk to offer his daily prayers to Thor. Anyone who notices might find that Naliks' face is a bit more euphoric as he offers his devotions.

Once done, he will expect Carter to have gotten the troops ready.,

dauphinous
2007-04-02, 12:23 PM
Beregond takes the note and reads it. His face goes a little pale and is drawn into a frown. He looks back at Nalik. "I'm sorry, Sir. I know you need the help here. Good luck." He gathers his gear and nods to anyone he passes on the way out of the cave, then mounts up and turns his horse towards Highgate. He spurs the horse into a gallop and disappears into the forest.

As Kruhljak tends Cinnamon, Kylin's horse (as yet unnamed) clops over and whickers entreatingly, whuffing his shoulder.

Annalia
2007-04-02, 02:12 PM
Hertz

"Morning Deladus." Hertz replies with a smile. After listening to Nalik, he heads to his bunk and pack only a few things. He didn't have much anyway and he was done after a couple of minutes. Using what time he had left, Hertz headed to the food stocks and prepared the supplied they'd need if they were to sleep outside camp.

WarBrute
2007-04-02, 04:35 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok sits up in bed more a few minutes that moring before leaving the cave. As he leaves Sarrok nudges Ulfgard with a foot to wake him. Ulgard wakes and trots after him.

Sarrok simles when he exits the cave and smells the fresh air. Silently he went about saddleing the dog and filling the saddle bags with the last of the raw meat.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-02, 05:20 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak pats Kylin's, now orphaned, mount upon the neck. "I'm afraid your master has gone to do better work with Eir."

He regards the animal with a level of compassion he reserves for the lower creatures who rely upon their masters for necessities as well as companionship, and possibly even a sense of purpose. "Perhaps we can find another for you to bear proudly, hmm? Wouldn't do for you to be standing about all day, now would it?"

At that moment, Kruhljak rather wished he'd been able to find a decent fruit tree somewhere nearby. The apples acquired in Highgate were long gone, and the supplies didn't include sugar chunks as far as he knew. "Well, we'll figure it out," he says with a pat to the animal's shoulder.

He nudges Cinnamon toward the other horse, hoping she would keep it company while he took care of other business.

Striding back to the cave, he catches Nalik just after his prayers are completed, and states, "I've just been reminded that Kylin's mount is now without a rider. I'm sure there's another willing master for it." He leaves it at that, knowing Nalik will understand the implicit request.

anIceFan
2007-04-02, 05:56 PM
Nalik

His prayers completed, Nalik feels that he is nearly floating on air. Listening to Kryhljack he responds.
That is wonderful, I am sure that one of us who is without a mount can find a use for such a noble steed.
This is accompanied with a robust smack on the back.

Nalik then proceeds to don his armor and head out to hook up Whiteboots to his cart. It is then that he realizes that he doesn't know if the cart will make it where they are going. He searches out Carter or Sarrok to ask the question.
I guess the question is as much to D'. Is the cart going to make it, or is Nalik going to need to try riding Whiteboots.

lawful_evil
2007-04-02, 06:13 PM
Carter

Carter rises early and does a bit of stretching and warmup exercise. After that, he washes up a bit from the water he gathered last night and begins the long processes of straping his armor on.

As everyone else begins to rise and get ready, Carter watchs them with keen interest, but little interaction.

After Nalik gives the order to get ready Carter begins making his way around to everyone to make sure they know to get ready and don't need any help. Once he has briefly interacted with everyone, Carter will focus on Elis, who Carter knows can get caught up in conversation and who isn't feeling well. With the occasional glance at the new guy, Beregond, to make sure he is making progress.

Once Beregond's made his hasty departure, Carter announces, "Okay, lets finish this up. Once you are squared away and ready to move, get outside." After people begin moving outside, Carter will focus on getting the last couple people moving and out the door while Nalik finishs his prayers.

Carter continues to hound people to get moving until he is eventually the last one out of the cave. Once outside he sees Nalik hooking up the cart. He approaches and says, "The way will be clear for a bit, but at the base of mountains it gets a bit rocky. The cart will really slow us down if we have to carefully pick a path through the debris."

Annalia
2007-04-02, 06:57 PM
Hertz

Hertz finishes packing the food as Krulhjak comes back in, and just in time to hear about Kylin's mount. "We could use it to carry the supplies. I'm not much of a rider, but I'm quite willing to take care of Kylin's horse if no one else wants a mount."

oliana0
2007-04-02, 09:09 PM
Oliana

Oliana breaths a sigh of relief when the horse is claimed for Hertz. Monsterous creatures they are. Grabbing her backpack and patting everything once, making sure she has everything (backpack, component pouch, daggers).

"Ready when you are."

Holocron Coder
2007-04-03, 01:21 AM
Deladus

Having always travelled light, Deladus took only a few moments to gather his belongings and strap them securely to his back. After a moment, he blinked in mild confusion, then, once Nalik completes his prayers, asks, "Pardon, sir, but where are we going, anyway?"

anIceFan
2007-04-03, 12:03 PM
Nalik

(Deladus)
Nalik is momentarily confused by Deladus' question, then he realizes why he did not hear the announcement.
Ah, you were on watch weren't you. Sarrok and Carter have found evidence of a fight at the foot of the mountains. They found some equipment that seems to indicate that our predecessors were involved. We are going to investigate.

(Carter)
Nalik looks longingly at the cart.
Oh well, he says with a grin. I have ridden before, but I believe I will need some help preparing Whiteboots.

I think at this point we can assume that everyone is outside and prepared to go.

Ok, let move oot. Sarrok, can you lead the way. I want Deladus and Kruhljack up front. Hertz, Oliana, Ziran and I will take the middle. Elis and Carter bring up the rear.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-03, 12:30 PM
Deladus

Finally understanding, Deladus grins at the prospect of finally possibly completing at least one of their missions. Upon the order to take the head of the column, he does so, heading out, but mostly following Kruhljak.

WarBrute
2007-04-03, 12:56 PM
Sarrok Balderk

he swiftly nods and pulls himself on to his mount " I'll will stay about forty feet ahead. Keep your eyes on the forest to the left we already know what kind monsters lurk in there."

Sarrok rides out to the front and follows the river toward the moutains

dauphinous
2007-04-03, 02:26 PM
The unit moves north along the river. As not everyone is mounted, it takes about three hours to get back to the spot where Sarrok and Carter stopped before. The land here is sloped far more than it is near base camp, but it presents no hindrance to travel. Prickly shrubs, short trees, and rocky outcroppings cover the land; grasses are scarce and weedy. The river here moves swiftly and cuts through a rock channel. You are at nearly the feet of the mountains.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-03, 02:48 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Nalik's enthusiastic reply, both verbally and physically, struck Kruhljak by surprise, eliciting a slight flinch and a pair of raised eyebrows. They were lost on Nalik, though, as he was practically in motion before his hand left the shoulder he'd just slapped.

Looking around to see if anyone else had noticed the exchange, Kruhljak catches Hertz glancing his way. Unsure if the monk noticed anything odd, Kruhljak decides to allow him to mention it, if so. He hadn't had a great deal of interaction with the cleric to be aware of his possible idiosyncrasies, so simply stashes the event away for reference and acts normally as he draws himself to Hertz' pallet.

The monk offers to care for the mount, and in reply, Kruhljak says, "That'll be fine. I'll go and bring her around to the front and you can take over. I see no reason it should be an issue, but some horses are rather temperamental when it comes to being handled by those they're not familiar with. Just a precaution."

Before he leaves, he collects and dons his armor, setting his flail to proper position for efficient readying, then heads outside to put the finishing touches on Cinnamon's barding. Completed, he mounts up, taking Kylin's mount's bridle in hand, and walks her to the cave entrance. He's pleased to see that the animal seems comfortable with Hertz, so with a wave he moves off to assume his position in the marching line, Deladus falling in just behind.

With Sarrok taking a scouting lead, on Nalik's mark, Kruhljak sets the main body of the group in motion with a circling wave of his hand and a point to the diminishing form of Sarrok's mount.

OOC I assumed Kylin's mount was a mare for convenience. I don't recall if it was ever mentioned.

raspberrybadger
2007-04-03, 04:31 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran is still more than a little nervous, and twitches slightly every once in a while. He is convinced that some danger, whether the known orcs or rats, or something completely new, is lurking ahead, and that he has to be prepared with immediate overwhelming arcane force if he wants everyone in the party to survive. He contents himself with thinking as he rides, forming up contingency plans in case Sarrok is ambushed and surrounded, going through scenario after scenario with a different attacking force each time. Thus, instead of his usual cheerfulness he exudes a grim silence, except when his eyes twinkle imagining a particularly amusingly effective counter to an enemy attack. Still, just as often, he shudders in horror attempting to imagine an attack by the thing that got Kylin so messily.

lawful_evil
2007-04-03, 04:34 PM
Carter

Looking around Carter smiles and announces, "This is the area. Maybe Elisathalan should check to see if he can see any tracks besides Sarrok and mine before we trample the area looking for clues."

Once Elis has given the all clear on Carter starts searching.

Search (1d20+2=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=954946)

Holocron Coder
2007-04-03, 07:03 PM
Deladus

Along with Carter, Deladus begins to search over terrain, looking for anything of interest, be it an obvious track or some more signs of just who, or what, was here before.

[roll0]

oliana0
2007-04-03, 08:19 PM
Oliana

Oliana plods along enjoying the walk keeping an eye out for anything scary. When they arrive at the area, Oliana will look around and keep watch for all the party searching the ground.

Annalia
2007-04-03, 10:59 PM
Hertz

Although he does notice Nalik's exhuberance, Hertz also leaves it unmentionned. They had, for now, more important things to care about and it was likely related to the cleric's recent prayers. Being in contact with one's god tends to have that effect.

Instead, Hertz decided to focus on the mount he'd just been granted the care off. The mare certainly deserved an attentive treatment, and he didn't want to screw up. Slowly and carefully, he charged her with part of the food supply, taking what he could carry without hindering his movement on him. I'll have to find you a fitting name... Won't do to call you 'charge horse'. With a smile, he took his position in the line, keeping the horse close.

When they arrive near the feet of the mountain, where Carter had found clues about the old Defenders, Hertz stays away from the spot. He wasn't a good tracker, and he didn't want to trample the ground around. Instead, he kept a carefull watch around, hoping to catch sight of an enemy before it'd fall upon them.

anIceFan
2007-04-04, 01:43 AM
Nalik

On the ride out along the river, Nalik quietly ponders the previous night. His face flashes between smiles and thoughtful expression as he cycles through memories and trying to decipher them.

When they reach the site identified by Sarrok and Carter, he is pleased to see those scouting the area and taking up watch. As he joins those taking watch, he sets out some battle plans.
No one be a hero, if you see anything suspicious give a shout. At the first sign of danger, I want Deladus, Carter, and Kruhljack to form a wedge. Oliana and Ziran, you slide in behind them. Elis, I want you to keep them off balance with your bow for as long as you can. The rest of us will fill out the sides and help where needed.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-04, 07:08 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

With the others checking for suspicious tracks, Kruhljak remains mounted, drawing forth his flail and resting it across a shoulder.

"Aye, Nalik. We shall execute the formation properly. I shall take point, this time."

His ears and squinting eyes survey the surrounding countryside as alertly as they can, while others tend to more specific duties.

dauphinous
2007-04-06, 08:50 AM
Elisathalan steps carefully about the area indicated by Carter and Sarrok, pausing here and there, examining the shrubs and the ground. He stands up over by the one he was told had the chainmail stuck in it. "If there were any tracks or signs to be found right here, they are long since washed away. However," he points a little farther away, "I do see some more scraps off that way. Perhaps this was only a part of the fight." He starts picking his way carefully through the prickly plants, holding up an intact arrow as he finds it.

Then he stops abruptly, holding up a hand to indicate no one else should come near. He carefully and quietly moves back and uses a low vioce to speak to Nalik. "There is a sleeping creature just beyond that line of plants. It has leathery skin of ruddy brown with sharp black spines coming out of a line on its back. It must be about five feet long from nose to tail. And I think it has more than four legs, but its back faces this way and I couldn't tell for certain."

lawful_evil
2007-04-06, 03:43 PM
Carter

Carter stands around waiting for Elisathalan to pick up whatever tracks he may find. Once he finds some and starts to follow them, Carter begins searching the area he started in for any missing detail.

When Elisathalan returns and reports to Nalik, Carter overhears the report and immediately forms up with Private Wynde. He then turns and vigerously motions everyone else to form up and make ready, but doesn't actually say anything.

{{ Overhear Elis (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=960664) }}

anIceFan
2007-04-06, 04:59 PM
Nalik

Nalik gets Elis' report,
Is there a way for us to get around this beast without a fight?

Assuming there is no way around the creature.
pointing to a spot off in the open.
Deladus, Kruhljack, Carter you set up over here. Spread out a bit, to make it difficult for this creature to attack more than one of you at a time. The rest of us will stay off to the side so that as soon as the creature passes us, we can attack from behind. One we are all set up. I want the wedge to start making as much noise as possible.

Annalia
2007-04-06, 05:05 PM
Hertz

At Carter's very first sign that something was going on, Hertz tied Kylin's mount loosely to a tree, so that it'd be able to tear free if in danger. He then takes position on the right side of the wedge and waits silently.

oliana0
2007-04-06, 05:31 PM
Oliana

"Do we know what it is? Do we even think it will be violent?"

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-06, 06:21 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods dutifully at Nalik's instruction, though he wasn't quite sure of the plan's intent. In his experience, albeit with more common creatures such as goblins and gnolls, a sleeping creature is conveniently susceptible to an organized ranged assault and it often resulted in a victory without appreciable risk.

Seeing no purpose in being mounted for any sort of attack on this rough terrain, he slowly trots downslope some distance and dismounts, leaving Cinnamon to pick at any edible grasses that might have gained purchase amongst the rocks.

He makes his way back to Nalik, rather than to the selected position he'd considered taking, and asks him, "Will we be preparing for ranged or melee, initially?" Regardless, it would do well to know which weapon to have at the ready.

OOC Knowledge: Nature to ID critter: 10 (17 roll, max 10 untrained) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2339782&postcount=79)

WarBrute
2007-04-06, 09:42 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok nods and loads his cross bow. He slides off Ulfgard and walks to the left of the rest keeping one hand on his mount

raspberrybadger
2007-04-07, 02:11 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran grimly takes his place in the wedge - if the thing is unafraid to attack an armed and noisy military unit, better to get rid of it now and get it over with, instead of waiting for the thing to attack a scouting party or some such. Besides, this might be a good test of how his color spray interacts with formation tactics. That beast might be resistant, but even a moment of stunning should be enough to drop the thing quite conclusively. The image of transfixing a large, spiny thing with a color spray restores some degree of the sparkle to the grim gnome's eyes.

dauphinous
2007-04-07, 06:32 AM
Elis looks down at Nalik. "It would be easy to get around it. It's sleeping. But I don't think we should just leave it there. I may not know what it is, but anything brazen enough to just sleep in the open, especially in what is probably the site of a great deal of carnage is either responsible for that carnage, or has eaten the thing that was. Either way, it's dangerous."

{Map (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/dauphinous/hmap.jpg)/non-photobucket map (http://www.geocities.com/dauphinous/gaming/hmap.jpg). You are all coming in from the southwest (north is up, as usual). Please indicate your desired location either here or in the OOC thread. The brown square is the sleeping thing, the green squares are 3 foot tall shrubs. They do not obstruct line of sight, but they do provide cover if you stand behind one. You can pass through the green squares for x2 movement cost, but you cannot end your movement in one.}

lawful_evil
2007-04-07, 08:45 AM
Carter

Carter readies his flail and positions himself 3 squares to the right of Private Wynde. Carter waits for everyone to get into position and murmurs a small prayer to Thor.

WarBrute
2007-04-07, 01:53 PM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok heads to the left near bushes but with a clear view of the beast. He hold Ulfgard behind him and to the right.

Sarrok=G14
Ulfgard=H15

oliana0
2007-04-07, 02:23 PM
Oliana

Oliana looks concerned as she takes her place as the wizard "in the middle."

Holocron Coder
2007-04-07, 03:06 PM
Deladus

Responding to Nalik's order, Deladus moves into the position and prepares for further orders.

Move according to however works to fit with the other two point guards. If that doesn't work... G14

Annalia
2007-04-07, 04:52 PM
((Not sure how this is going to form up, but I believe Hertz should be in H16.))

anIceFan
2007-04-07, 05:22 PM
Nalik

To Kruhljack
You should fight how you are comfortable. Ideally we will take this creature oot before it has a chance to get close to any of us. If it does close, I want it to be with the 3 of you.

He then moves to k15 and prepares his crossbow.

My plan is for the creature to charge our meatshields, and the rest of us to flank. If we can get a couple of bolts/arrows into it, so much the better. Lets not waste magic until we know that we need it.

raspberrybadger
2007-04-07, 10:46 PM
Though, with only one cleric, if it is a choice between using a color spray and a healing spell, I'd rather use the color spray. Also, OOC, this thing could have any combination of random crazy offensive abilities, regeneration, damage reduction, spikes that damage people meleeing it, way too much AC, 100+ hp, or, well, nearly anything. OOC, I'm always a little paranoid about jumping unknown spiny things, and IC, well, Ziran was nervous before this episode.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-08, 08:30 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

At Nalik's reply and his departure, Kruhljak would appear rather disgruntled were anyone focusing on him, rather than the sleeping beast.

Not yet feeling comfortable with the situation, he follows Nalik and assumes a position beside him, crouching near the lonely bush that provides a modicum of cover.

He speaks in a low, measured voice but with verbal alacrity, "Nal...Sir. If I'm free to speak my mind on this matter, I don't believe you have made it perfectly clear what results you expect from this maneuver. Elis has offered that we could circumvent the creature entirely, and you have stated that you wish to allow it to flee if it will, though an argument has been put forth that this creature should be removed for the good of all who may travel this area. My question, then, is are we intending to destroy it, or are we intending to allow it to flee? If the latter, then if it chooses not to flee, we've lost all of our advantage--and squandering an advantage versus a creature we know nothing about puts us all at greater risk. If it does flee, then the creature is left to roam the area and continue to attack unsuspecting travelers. Neither scenario is, in my mind, advantageous to us. To be blunt, and I feel it is my responsibility to be so where our safety is concerned, I believe we should either back away and perform a ranged assault with intent to kill, or move in quickly to surround it and destroy it. If we simply wish to scare it off, we can do so from the farthest distance with arrow-shot, leaving all those with shorter ranged weapons to make their bids should the creature decide to retailiate rather than flee. In which case, we had best intend to destroy it. I have no further comments, at this stage. I will, of course, abide by your instructions. Though I fully expect my opinions to be on the record, regardless of the outcome."

OOC I will take up a position (at L14) beside Nalik.

oliana0
2007-04-08, 05:28 PM
Oliana

Oliana sees that discussion continues, "My concern is that it is sentient; perhaps intelligent. I'm thinking back to that dragon that flew over us recently. But if we are planning on being prepared for a fight, I'd suggest that our main melee types, Deladus, Kruhljak and Hertz to its west, behind those bushes, allowing Carter and and Sarrok the benefit of the flanking bonus the seem to have coming in from the south. Archer and medic support from the southwest, and the magic users can follow the fighters to the north and follow them in from the northwest."

lawful_evil
2007-04-08, 06:03 PM
Carter

Carter remains in position to Private Wynde's right while listening to Oliana's suggestions. That sounds more feasible. Hit it hard to start and then keep it flanked. Hopefully the archers can attack it despite our being that close. The beast seems fairly small, it shouldn't survive more than a couple hits.

While remaining in position Carter begins to visualize where to stand and how the battle might go with Oliana's strategy in place while waiting/hoping that Nalik changes his mind.

dauphinous
2007-04-09, 06:15 AM
As the sleeping beast is circled warily to determine the best avenues of attack, a better idea of what it truly looks like can be gained. The creature has not four, but eight stubby legs. It runs probably 4 and half feet long, discounting its muzzle and stumpy tail. The head is low slung, covered on the top with more of the sharp black spines and vaguely reptilian in shape - flattish and wide. Two overly large eyes sit atop its head, like a frog, or perhaps a crocodile. The eyes seem disproportionately large compared to the head.

It slumbers amidst small scattered piles of bones, shredded pieces of what looks like armor of various types, and some coins. It appears that there might be things underneath it as well, and the nearby shrubs look to have objects, some shiny, some not, stuck within them.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-09, 06:18 AM
Deladus

Noticing the placement of the materials around the creature, as well as its further appearance, Deladus quietly draws his weapon and shield in case it wakes. In the meantime, he glances to Nalik for any nonverbal commands.

Prepared action to attack if it wakes and seems hostile.

WarBrute
2007-04-09, 11:17 AM
Sarrok Balderk

When Sarrok comes with in with rang and sees the beast for himself he answers Oliana's concer "Intelligent or not, I think we would want this thing dead" His hands tighten on his crossbow.

oliana0
2007-04-09, 01:02 PM
Oliana

Oliana nods her aggreement to Sarroks words, and then looks to Nalik for the final approval of an attack plan.

Annalia
2007-04-09, 03:17 PM
Hertz (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=113)

Circling to the west, Hertz carefully observes the creature. He had to agree with Sarrok: they likely didn't want that thing to live. He stretches his hands, cracking a few knuckles, before taking out a javelin. Lifting it, he waits for Deladus' warhammer to fall.

OOC:
Attack Roll: 1d20+3=6, Damage Roll:1d6=4. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=965730)

anIceFan
2007-04-09, 03:30 PM
Nalik

Nalik listens to the input from those who offer. He can see that they obviously have offered some very good points. He thinks a moment, and revises his plan.

Those are good points. This does not appear to be a docile creature. We should take every advantage that we can.

Carter, you and Oliana head up to the north to come in from the top of the clearing, Deladus Hertz and I will move in from due West. Elis and Ziran, you keep to this general area, Sarrok and Kruhljack head around to the South. We will give everyone a chance to get in position. The signal will be Deladus dropping his warhammer. At that sign, I want everyone who can to send a volley into the beast. In conjunction with that, Deladus, Carter and Kruhljack will advance on the creature. The rest of us will give support as we can.

I kinda tweaked Oliana's layout a bit.
Here are the positions as I have laied them out:
Oliana E7
Carter E8
Nalik D9
Deladus C10
Hertz A10
Elis E14
Ziran F15
Sarrok I14
Kruhljack J14

lawful_evil
2007-04-09, 07:16 PM
Carter

Ah, another excellent plan. Carter leaves Private Wynde and moves quickly and quietly around to the position designated by the commander.

{{ move to E8 }}

Carter stands holding his Heavy Flail to keep it quiet while he waits for the signal to attack. His eyes on the creature, ready to bash is puny little brain into pulp should it move before the signal is given.

If I was just laying here in the grass sleeping, I think I'd notice a bunch of people in armor with weapons standing over me. Ah, well, lets hope the beast doesn't really have instincts.

dauphinous
2007-04-09, 08:30 PM
A funny sort of snorting noise comes from the creature as you shift about to your new locations. After a few moments, it resumes snoring lightly.

{map (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/dauphinous/hmap.jpg)/non-photobucket map (http://www.geocities.com/dauphinous/gaming/hmap.jpg). I added a couple of extra rows onto the west side, which is why your positions don't line up with what anIceFan posted. If you are satisfied with this, go ahead and roll your initiative and declare surprise round actions. Surprise round = partial action}

oliana0
2007-04-09, 09:56 PM
Oliana

Oliana prepares for the sound of a hammer dropping by readying Magic Missile.

{OOC:
[roll0]; [roll1]
}

anIceFan
2007-04-09, 10:02 PM
Nalik

Positions work for me.

Initiave = 1d20+1=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966452)

At deladus' signal, Nalik will fire a bolt from his crossbow.
to hit lizard, 1d20+2=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966464)
damage to lizard = 1d8=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966470)

WarBrute
2007-04-09, 11:05 PM
Sarrok Balderk

sarrok gets into to postion and fire at the beast when the signal sounds

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966657]to hit
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966663] DMG
(if attack is a sneak attack, via suprise round rules)
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966666] sneak attack damage

lawful_evil
2007-04-10, 07:40 AM
Carter

Hammer Time... er well, Flail time. Attack(when commanded/signaled).

Init (1d20-1=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=967208)
To Hit (1d20+7+4=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=967184)
Damage (1d10+6+1d6=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=967199)

Dang, it is so awkward to try to swing quietly.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-10, 10:55 AM
Looking to Nalik for a signal and, once he sees it, Deladus creeps forward and swings.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

raspberrybadger
2007-04-11, 02:23 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran obeys his orders, and decides that Nalik must not want him wasting magic here - there is hardly room to use a color spray in this formation. So, he decides to use the surpise round to cast Detect Magic - if there is any magic involved, the group needs to know right away.

dauphinous
2007-04-11, 10:51 AM
Carter and Deladus step carefully up to the sleeping beast, then ready to attack it. Hertz launches a javelin, lodging it cleverly into a shrub. Sarrok launches a crossbow bolt, sinking it into the creature’s flesh. Carter smashes his flail into the side of the creature, causing the flesh to quiver and some blood to splatter out. Nalik shoots a crossbow bolt that thunks solidly into it.

Ziran casts Detect Magic while he waits to see what will happen. Oliana sends a magical dart into the thing. Kruhljak, not prepared for the signal, fails to act. Elisathalan fires an arrow into it, giving it a glancing scratch. Deladus smashes his hammer into it, eliciting a satisfying thud noise.

The creature makes a rumbling. groaning sound and its eyes snap open. They emit a soft pale yellow glow and are pupilless.

{
initiative order:
Hertz 20
Sarrok 18
Carter 17
Nalik 16
Ziran 15
Oliana 14
lizardy thing 14
Kruhljak 10
Elisathalan 8
Deladus 8
}

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-11, 12:08 PM
Kruhljak Wynde (http://www.sylnae.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=38271)
( Init: 10 | AC: 16 | HP: 22/22 | Position: L14->L11 )

Kruhljak bobs slightly on his heels awaiting the signal. With Deladus and Carter taking the frontal approach, Kruhljak plans to sweep a bit to the rear for a flanking strike as soon as his two comrades have brought the lizard out of its slumber.

On plan, Kruhljak springs into action with surprising speed, gliding as swiftly across the scrabble as his bulky armor would allow, bringing the wildly dancing spiked orbs of his flail down upon the beast's scaly hide.

OOC Move from L14 -> L11 = 15'

Attack with flail using 2BAB into Power Attack = 19 [15(1d20-2)+4(STR)]

Damage: 12 [2(1d10)+6(STR*1.5)+4(2BAB->PowerAttack)]

(rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2373209&postcount=44))

Holocron Coder
2007-04-11, 12:16 PM
Deladus (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=126)

Watching the creature's legs warily, looking for signs of where it will strike next, Deladus attacks again.

Dodge bonus on "lizardy-thing" (AC 19)

[roll0]
[roll1]

lawful_evil
2007-04-11, 01:36 PM
Carter

Ah.. it didn't die. What the heck is going on with its eyes? Glowing eyes... ah.. that's bad.

Carter winds up and smashes the beast again, or tries to anyway.

Attack (1d20+9=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=969442)
Damage (1d10+6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=969445)
Flank Extra (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=969669)

Okay.. try not to look at the eyes. Maybe this thing is a medusa spawn or something. Ah... dang.

Carter focuses on his target, visualizing his attack.

oliana0
2007-04-11, 01:57 PM
Oliana

Oliana curses under breath. There's a flaw in my plan. It's too crowded for fireworks, and those eyes don't look like they will have a problem with flare or daze. Only chance if it retreats to the north east.

Oliana stays low and moves to the east outside of the ring of brush and hides behind the brush there prepared to let loose some fire should the thing seperate from the crowd.

{OOC: Move to K6. Ready to cast Burning Hands if the creature seperates to the northeast.}

anIceFan
2007-04-11, 03:18 PM
Nalik

Fighters move in on in, lets get the beast surrounded.

Nalik drops his crossbow, draws his hammer and moves to the south east while preparing his shield. He shifts to a spot in front of some brush where he can move in to provide help if necessary.

move to I11 and get into a defesive posture. +2 to AC -4 to attack.
So total AC for this round is 19
ready an attack with his hammer if the creature charges him
bab - 4 + str 4-4+2 = +2
damage 1d8+1+2(str)

Annalia
2007-04-11, 10:07 PM
Hertz

Great, shiny yellow eyes. And all I can hit is brush. Well, let's keep it distracted a bit. Sprinting forward, Hertz moves past Deladus and behind Krulhjak, making his way to the creature's west flank. If he couldn't hit it himself, he'd at least provide distraction and allow the others to be more effective.

OOC:
Sorry about now posting on time for the init. Although with that score, maybe I should let you roll for Hertz more often. Either way, I'm spending two move actions to go to M11.

WarBrute
2007-04-12, 12:39 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok Quickly reloaded and fired again

To hit 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970307)
Damage 3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970312)

raspberrybadger
2007-04-12, 02:13 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran calls out a warning: "This thing appears to have taken down people who had magic gear - watch out. I'll try to confuse it."

Having said that, he casts a Silent Image of Carter, standing right beside Carter and doing exactly what he does.

dauphinous
2007-04-12, 06:32 AM
Hertz dashes forward, ready to assist those in melee with the creature. Sarrok launches a bolt at it that skims across its tough hide. Carter smashes his flail into the beast’s hide once again, a fine spray of red blood spattering across the sharp spikes.

Nalik moves up and switches weapons, standing ready to defend himself. Ziran casts a spell and an image of Carter appears next to the real Carter. Oliana moves up some, prepared to cast a spell if she finds an opening to do so.

The lizardlike thing, now fully awake, gives a rumbly, angry bellow and stands up. The eyes begin to glow more brightly, and Deladus lowers his guard, his face going slack and his hammer and shield falling out of his hands to lie at his feet. Carter feels something compelling him to do the same, but shakes it off.

Kruhljak moves up and brings his flail down, echoing Carter’s success. Elisathalan stays his bow and begins to sing. Deladus stands there, staring at the creature.

{
initiative order:
Hertz 20
Sarrok 18
Carter 17
Nalik 16
Ziran 15
Oliana 14
lizardy thing 14
Kruhljak 10
Elisathalan 8
Deladus 8

Bard song now active: +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, saves vs. charm, and saves vs. fear

Deladus, Hertz, and Carter may take AoO’s provoked by it standing up from prone. Deladus may not otherwise act.
map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/hmap.jpg) - This is a new hosting location. If anyone has trouble accessing it, let me know.

}

lawful_evil
2007-04-12, 08:19 AM
Carter

Not wanting to miss a chance to crush this beast, Carter swings every oppertunity he gets.

AoO
Flk/Aoo/BS (1d20+10=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970642)
Damage (1d10+7+1d6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970651)

Attack
Attack (1d20+7+1+2=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970719)
Damage (1d10+6+1+1d6=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=970721)

Hmm.. that attack probably missed. Doh.

Carter continues to pound on the beast, staying towards the back end where he won't have to look into is ugly glowing eyes. "Argh! Die beast die."

If I took that kind of beating, I'd be dead by now. What kind of freaky 4 legged lizard is this?

Holocron Coder
2007-04-12, 11:07 AM
Deladus

Slack-jawed, Deladus stares.

Here is the AoO from before:

[roll0]
[roll1]

oliana0
2007-04-12, 12:35 PM
Oliana

Seeing between the branches that Deladus is transfixed, Oliana gets an idea. Moving as quickly as she can, she drops her pack and moves towards the beast's flank, taking off her robe and averting her eyes to the beast's eyes. When she gets to the beast she tosses her robe covering its head.

{OOC: Not sure which way the Beasty is facing. NW or NE corner should both be in range.

Move to: M or K 9 (whichever the beasty is looking away most at. Tie = K9)
Roll: 19 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2381266&postcount=45) (see roll thread for where I "made up" the modifiers)}

raspberrybadger
2007-04-12, 01:15 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran doesn't really understand what is going on, but he's pretty sure
Deladus standing there defenseless is a bad thing, so he decides to
let the people with weapons deal with the beast, and do what he can to
keep the beast from killing anyone in the mean time. Thus, he
concentrates on his illusion of Carter, having it move by the shortest
route (who cares if an illusion provokes an attack of opportunity) to
stand right in front of Deladus. Deladus isn't exactly moving around,
so having an illusion in the same square as him shouldn't impede his
fighting or anything.
Seeing Oliana dashing up to the thing, he wishes he had some way of
protecting her, and starts thinking how to shift his tactics to keep
her uneaten. He has a few frantic seconds to think of something to do
that might work.

anIceFan
2007-04-12, 03:19 PM
Nalik

Nalik moves up to stand right behind Deladus.

lawful_evil
2007-04-12, 04:20 PM
Carter

Seeing Oliana charge up and throw her cloths over the beast, Carter thinks... and smiles. Ah, there we go. Teamwork. Now, that will keep me from from looking at the lizard.

Aw, come on, how am I supposed to focus on the lizard with her standing there like that. Come on... focus. Kill the beasty, kill the beasty...

WarBrute
2007-04-12, 05:22 PM
Sarrok Balderk

I'll never be able to get a clean shot with all of them standing there

He drops his crossbow draws his sword while wading thorugh the bush toward the lizard.

Moves to K 11 with short sword ready

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-12, 06:38 PM
Kruhljak Wynde (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=44910)
( Init: 10 | AC: 16 | HP: 22/22 | Position: L14->L11 )

Though it seemed an unlikely success, managing to flip the beast over or at least to its side would give his comrades and himself a decided advantage, made more important now that Deladus had, apparently, been afflicted by the beast's eyes.

OOC Trip attack attempt:

20 - melee touch attack to initiate trip (inc +2 from flanking via Hertz)

(I did not include a flanking bonus because I don't think Deladus threatens in his condition, however, Ziran's illusion of Carter might, depending on prevailing details I can't know about. If the +2 would make a difference, and it applies, please factor it in, both for the touch attack and the melee attack below.)

- if hit is successful:

12 - opposed strength check (inc +4 from Imp. Trip)

- if I win the opposed check:

21 - "free" normal melee attack (inc +2 from flanking via Hertz)

- (note: creature is at -4AC when prone)

14 - damage if I hit

(rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2383659&postcount=46))

Annalia
2007-04-12, 11:19 PM
Hertz

Not missing an opportunity, Hertz strikes out when the beast stands up, and he follows the strike with two very quick jabs. They had to bring that beast down quickly, else it could likely hurt Deladus or Oliana in a quite brutal manner.

I'm probably very crazy to do this, but I'm opting for a 'more rolls, more chance to get a 20' tactic. Either way, here goes:
AoO) Attack Roll: 1d20+3=14, Damage Roll: 1d6=6. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=972363)
Flurry 1) Attack Roll: 1d20+1=7, Damage Roll: 1d6=2. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=972368)
Flurry 2) Attack Roll: 1d20+1=17, Damage Roll: 1d6=1. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=972368)
Look, people! I think I might contribute with 1 HP damage to that creature's death! :smallbiggrin: We likely have flanking to thank for that too. Else, my flurry bonus would be negative.

dauphinous
2007-04-13, 07:04 AM
The blows against the beast from Carter and Deladus as it stood up sprayed blood on hertz, some from both sides.

Hertz managed to land a fist on the thing, thumping it well enough to leave a light welt. Sarrok and Nalik both move while Ziran directs his illusion and Oliana disrobes.

The creature turns towards Hertz and takes a vicious bite out of his torso, pulling away chunks of flesh and covering its maw and Hertz both in blood. Hertz falls to the ground, blood spurting out from his side. Kruhljak goes slack-jawed, just as Deladus did, dropping his flail.

Elisathalan stops singing and sends an arrow in, but sends it wide rather than hit an ally.

At this point, the creature looks well slashed, hacked, and pummeled, but it
does not look ready to drop.

{
initiative order:
Hertz 20 (unconscious)
Sarrok 18
Carter 17
Nalik 16
Ziran 15
Oliana 14
lizardy thing 14
Kruhljak 10 (slack-jawed)
Elisathalan 8
Deladus 8 (slack-jawed)

Bard song still active: +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, saves vs. charm, and saves vs. fear
Oliana can make her own Will save DC 15 vs. charm [mind-affecting], as the outcome doesn’t affect this round
Deladus is in the same square as the illusion of Carter '(C)'

map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/hmap.jpg)
}

oliana0
2007-04-13, 08:19 AM
Oliana

Oliana, feeling a bit dizzy and slow, but shaking it off, sees Hertz fall to the ground. Using the clear shot opportunity provided by Hertz falling, she flings the robe at the creature's head from her current position. Then moves quickly to Hertz and tries to pull him away from the fight.

{OOC:
Will save: 24 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2387408&postcount=47)
Ranged Touch Attack: 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2381266&postcount=45) (19, -2 for flanking and -4 for throwing into melee)
Standard Action: Throw robe (Net has a range increment of 10', "improvised" weapons have 10' as well.)
Move Action: Move to just behind Hertz and start to drag him out of the fight.}

lawful_evil
2007-04-13, 10:51 AM
Carter

Seeing Deladus's issues, Carter steps to the right to M9 to provide a counterpoint to Sarrok. Carter swings his flail and stumbles on some roots sticking up at his new location.

Attack (1d20+10=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=973235)
Damage (1d10+6+1+1d6=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=973238)

Oh sure, just as soon as I get the proper amount of power into a swing I trip and miss. Grrr Stupid trees.

anIceFan
2007-04-13, 11:36 AM
Nalik (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=96)

Nalik is horrified at the rate his crew is being incapacitated.

Oliana, see what you can do to stabilize Hertz. I will get to him when I can.

He then reaches to pull Deladus out of the fray before the fighter can get hurt.

WarBrute
2007-04-13, 11:10 PM
Sarrok Balderk

His sword high into the air and plugles at the lizard at a doward angle.

Attack Roll= 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=974846)
damage=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=974849)

dauphinous
2007-04-14, 12:19 PM
Sarrok stabs, making a small cut in the creature’s hide. Carter scrapes his flail along its tough hide, but his angle causes the blow to be only a glancing one. Nalik pulls Deladus out of the way. Ziran maintains his illusion while Oliana tosses her robe over the thing’s head, covering its eyes, then reaches over to start pulling Hertz out of the way.

The creature makes a snarling, grumbling noise from under the robe and starts snapping all around. One chomp of its jaws finds flesh in the form of Sarrok and tears off shreds of flesh that now hang in its teeth. Sarrok falls to the ground.

Elisathalan launches an arrow in, hitting it soundly in the neck, which causes it to stop grumbling and drop unceremoniously to the ground. Kruhljak and Deladus immediately waken from their pseudo-sleep.

{
Hertz: -2, not stable
Sarrok: -3, not stable
}

Holocron Coder
2007-04-14, 12:55 PM
Deladus

Blinking rapidly, Deladus steps another step further away from the beast. Aloud, he asks, "By the gods, what was that?"

He doesn't seem shaken so much as surprised.

oliana0
2007-04-14, 12:59 PM
Oliana

Oliana quickly runs to her pack and grabs it, pulling out some bandages and working at Hertz's wounds.

{OOC: Take ten if possible (for 15), but since it's under some duress, I'll guess it may not be. [roll0]
}

{Darn, re-try: Try 2: 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2396343&postcount=48)}

raspberrybadger
2007-04-14, 03:51 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran rushes in, in preparation to use a color spray if he has to - and reallizes that the beast has already been finished. He then just stops, staring at the thing, trying to figure out what just happened.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-14, 04:15 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak swings bunched, empty hands down toward the motionless lizard as if carrying through on his earlier intended attack. Slightly off balance given the lack of expected weight in his hands and the momentum that comes with it, he staggers a step to the side before realizing the situation.

Shaking his head to clear the cobwebs, his eyes dart toward the ground, and his flail returns to his grip shortly thereafter.

"Well...I think I'm quite glad the rest of you were successful. My bits of armor would have clashed with the rest around here," he muses, tossing in a rather disingenuous chuckle for good measure.

anIceFan
2007-04-15, 03:23 AM
Nalik (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=96)

As the battle with the creature ends, 2 thoughts run through Nalik's mind. He wants to make sure the creature is dead, and that his 2 crew members do not die.

He looks to those still standing;

Make sure that creature is truly dead.

At the same time he looks to the 2 fallen members of the team. He could see that they were both fading fast, and would surely die without some strong action. His mind is on both Sarrok and Hertz as he bends over the gnome, and prays for his healing.

1d8+2=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=977128)
spending one use of turn undead to extend use of cure light wounds to Hertz and Sarrok

He is pleased to as Sarrok's wounds knit together, leaving just a slight scar. When he turns to provide healing to the monk, he is amazed to see that his wounds have also healed, leaving a scar similar to Sarroks.

The stunned dwarf takes a moment to reflect on what has just happened. The euphoria that he had been feeling all day is brought into sharp focus as he realizes that he is now more blessed of Thor than ever in the past.

lawful_evil
2007-04-15, 07:05 AM
Carter

Looking at the beast, Carter's stomach rumbles and he says, "Oh, I'll make sure its dead alright." With that Carter drops his flail and pulls out his sword. He begins to cut out large pieces of flash from the beast.

Whilst using his long sword to cut out the choice pieces of meat he sees Deladus standing there watching. Nodding at the prime cuts of meat Carter says, "Anything is better than the scraps that the rats left us. " After a pause, Carter adds"Hey what was up with you back there? This wasn't your first battle... but you froze up just like a first-timer."

With a smile Carter wonders, "What, did this thing look like a pet lizard you had in your childhood?"

Carter hollers over to Sarrok, "Hey Sarrok.. you want to get some of this meat for your doggie?" Carter finishs wrapping the good cuts in his spare cloak and puts them in his backpack.

He then wipes off his blade and returns it to its sheath before picking up his flail and declaring to the commander, "Its dead for sure now. What's the plan? Keep searching or head back?"

Holocron Coder
2007-04-15, 01:07 PM
Deladus

Recovering himself, he grins. "Hardly. Something about its eyes... One moment I was attacking it, then I saw its eyes, then everything got fuzzy, then it was dead."

Frowning, he continues, "With that in mind, is it safe to eat something that we can't identify? What if it is poisonous, eh?"

He pokes it with a toe, before retrieving his weaponry off the ground.

WarBrute
2007-04-15, 04:32 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"Uhg..." Sarrok pushes himslef up off the ground and looks at the meat cater is offering him. "Yeah sure, sure" On his way back to Ulfgard he pats Nalik on the back in thanks. After Ulfgard begins eating Sarrok bends and retreaves his crossbow he left behind and loads it.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-15, 04:41 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

With a shrug, Kruhljak jogs downhill a bit to recover Cinnamon, and mounts up. Flail again over his shoulder, he brings her up to the battle site and reins her in.

"So, do we remain on agenda? As we've only lost a bit of time on this...distraction, I assume so," he says to Nalik as he hovers over Sarrok and Hertz.

lawful_evil
2007-04-15, 05:01 PM
Carter

After Sarrok takes his share for his doggie, Carter says to Deladus, "Well, I guess if the dog gets sick, I'll have to reconsider my dinner plans." With a broad smile, Carter pats Deladus on the shoulder and walks over to wait near Nalik to find out the new orders.

raspberrybadger
2007-04-15, 08:45 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran decides to pipe up, saying "Don't feel guilty - the eyes may have been the source of its stunning power, but you all weren't tricked by the eyes - it was actually using area of effect magic to stun, sort of like mine. Speaking of magic, shall we collect the magical trinkets lying on the ground, presumably from this thing's earlier victims? I was detecting magic to try to counter anything magical it did, but there didn't seem to be any better counter than hacking it to pieces. Anyway, just let me detect magic again, and I'll show you where and what we've got..."

With that, he casts his detection spell and begins a talkative running commentary as he locates each object, letting Nalik or someone else decide what will be done with the things he finds: "All right, we've got here right by the beast, its own personal favorite or something, a jade rock. Magic. Don't ask me what it does. Over here we've got a silver ring, no real markings, also magic, also completely unidentified. None of these are very powerful, as magic goes, but it doesn't take much magic to be useful now does it? Now here, we've got a wand, and a more powerful one at that. Perhaps some sort of blasting magic. Perhaps have Oliana have a look at that one, though I've heard that some clerics can use smiting spells as well. And, hidden over here we've got a wooden flask, again too weak an aura to be really sure what it is beyond being magic of some sort. Now, this is more interesting. A transmutation aura. Hmm, a stone, and palish blue - I think I've heard of something like this,
except I have no idea what it does. A stone, and transmutation magic at that, is probably meant to be carried somehow to give some effect. Though there might be a command word or something for a temporary effect. Ok, here we've got an eagle feather or something on a leather cord. No idea what that does either. Another wand - too weak to figure anything out, but at least there are ways of testing those, and most don't do nasty painful things to you. Unless you aim them at your feet when it was a magic missile wand or something. A metal vial too, also no idea what that does. I guess you drink it though. Probably not a good area for experimentation, but it is magic too, or how else would I have found it with its aura? And lastly, in case you are wondering why I've been talking so long, there aren't just fun magics to do interesting things with. We've also got here the Comm we've been looking for. Or at least something just like it, no? Highgate crest, wooden amulet, leather cord, detects properly.

So, what do we do with this stuff? Comm included?"

Holocron Coder
2007-04-15, 09:05 PM
Deladus

Deladus grins at Carter, nodding in agreement. Listening to Ziran, he blinks a few times, looking slightly more stunned as the list progresses impressively. "...That's a lot of magic."

He looks at the surrounding armor pieces and mundane gear. "Can we assume that these are the remains of our... predacessors?"

Annalia
2007-04-15, 09:21 PM
Hertz

As Hertz's wound were healed, he also felt energy come back to him. Once again he opens his eyes to find himself on the ground, his clothes covered in blood. But this time, however, he smiled. He was progressing, both with his focus and with his usefullness.

Still dizzied, Hertz stood up and brushed dirt away from his things. Much like Kruhljak, he walked to Kylin's mount and untied it before coming back to the group. Just in time to hear the end of Ziran's enumeration. "Very likely. Glad I did not join them, and that this fight was for more than keeping the area safe. What's next?"

oliana0
2007-04-15, 10:01 PM
Oliana

Oliana leans back away from Hertz as his wounds close quickly-faster than she thought they would. "Huh."

As Carter starts to carve away at the beast, she calls out, "Save the eyes! They mave prove valuable if they keep their odd coloration." She recollects her pack, and slips it on and moves to the stack of magical items that are accumulating at Ziran's feet.

"Anything you can't discern the school of magic, let me have a look, okay?"

Turning to Nalik, "And do we want to search the rest of the area to see if we can find anything else; maybe something to identify these people?"

{OOC: Spellcraft at +9 on the items that Ziran couldn't get an idea of. Cast Detect Magic, if necessary.}

WarBrute
2007-04-15, 10:50 PM
Sarrok Balderk

"I don't know. Are predcessors were well trained. Its seems odd that this" he indicates the hunk meat Ulfgard is tearing apart "Could have killed all of them. More likley this lizard was mearly a hoarder of arcane and divine trinkets"

raspberrybadger
2007-04-16, 01:25 AM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran adds "A few rats, or orcs, coming back from a raid where they got the comm, might have been dispatched. Both kinds are vulnerable to stunning magic, though my spells might be a little more potent. Plus, if this thing had attacked without warning, instead of us getting a chance to surround it and start the fight? Well, I might have been able to stun it to give us a chance to react, or some of our warriors might have been able to hold it off for long enough to get it surrounded, but I can see it winning an ambush against a good number of orcs or rats."

To Oliana: "Please do look at the pile of magical things - you doubtless have more formal training, and remember more of it too, in how to recognize things like these from the subtleties of the auras."

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-16, 01:43 AM
Kruhljak Wynde

There was little for him to do, at the moment, save listen attentively to the various thoughts and remarks made by his comrades. The last seemed to contain something worthy of added comment.

"Whatever's remains these may be, they had a Highgate comm which means either these remains are earlier Defenders or, quite likely, a subset of a group that was responsible for their disappearance. That comm didn't just appear out of nowhere to be found here. Before we leave, we should take some time to examine these objects--the mundane ones--to see if we can properly identify the source. Especially the armor, bones and such near where the comm was located. If we can identify them as rat-like, orcish or human, it will provide a useful clue to help focus our agenda."

lawful_evil
2007-04-16, 05:23 AM
Carter

After listening to Ziran and Oliana he asks them, "It seems strange that the beast would just happen to gather everything magical from its victims to sleep on. Maybe one of you should just that detect magical stuff ability and walk around here in a bit of a search. Likewise, there may be magical items which survived the harseness of this beast's stomach. I'll remove it so you can examine the contents."

Carter moves back over to the beast sword in hand and begins to pop out the eyes for Oliana. One removed and laying on the grass, Carter opens the beast up again and remove the stomach. Dragging it by the intestine a bit away from everyone else, Carter opens it up so those with magical abilities can take a look. Once open Carter holds his breathe taking a quick look before moving well away.

Walking over to Sarrok and his doggie, Carter decides to ask, while discretely examining the dog, "If these are our predecessors perhaps we should gather what bones remain and bury them. It would seem to be the right thing to do for their souls."

Looking back to Deladus, Carter says, "Aye, that is a fair bit of magical stuff. However, without knowing what any of it does, I'm not sure how useful it'd be. A magical sword can obviously be used even without full knowledge of the extent of its power. That said, you'd have to be crazy to drink some kind of magic potion without knowing what it does."

Ignoring the magical stuff for the moment, Carter examines the rest of the stuff to see if there is anything of use or of value(armor, weapons, cash, rope, bags, etc). Carter takes note of any obviously human remains at the same time.

dauphinous
2007-04-16, 06:03 AM
Aside from a few messily eaten small animals, the remains are all bones. There are a few partially crushed skulls of some kind of humanoids, but exactly what kind is not clear.

Once the creature is dragged out of the way, which takes a few of you straining with effort, some additional debris is located, though, like the rest, it is all smashed and shredded.

Including the parts under the creature, you can find chunks of chainmail, shreds of at least two different sources of leather, and some pieces of studded leather. There are some broken arrows and crushed bolts, parts of a composite longbow snapped in several places, and a axe of some kind, probably a battleaxe.

Amidst the smashed and torn things, there are also four intact masterwork arrows with some kind of odd wrapping on the tip, another small wood flask, five 50 foot lengths of silk rope, one 20 foot length of some kind of extra supple rope none of you have ever seen before, and a pouch of glass marbles.

As soon as Carter rips open the creature's stomach, the air is filled with a putrid reek. Gold, silver, and platinum coins spill out with something shiny, clear fluid, and a few small meaty parts of something. The shiny thing is made of mithral and looks like a chain shirt with several holes in it. Unlike the rest of the damaged gear, this shirt looks like it could actually be repaired.

Elisathalan drops to his hands and knees and loses his breakfast noisily into the shrub next to him.

{Con checks DC 13 for everyone who takes a look at the contents to keep from throwing up at the stench}

Holocron Coder
2007-04-16, 06:15 AM
Deladus

Unprepared for the sudden wave of stench, Deladus turns to the side as well and loses some of the evening's meal. After a moment, he wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and glances over at the material that spilled out of the creature. "Correct me if I'm wrong... but money doesn't usually grow inside beasts."

[roll0]

oliana0
2007-04-16, 06:35 AM
Oliana

"Ooooh." Oliana reels slightly from smell, and gags a couple of times, but manages not to lose her lunch on to the magic items.

"It eats metal? What on earth is this thing?" Pondering a bit, "I wonder if we can bottle that stench. It'd make a mean weapon."

"Oh, and looking at these items, I can get a vague understanding of this jade rock, which has a faint aura and appears to be of the evocation school; the feather has some sort of illusion magic associated with it; the weaker wand is from the conjuration family, and this metal vial is some sort of transmutation.

"Evocation creates things, mostly energy, out of nothing; illusion makes things appear what they are not; conjuration moves, heals or creates things, like solid objects or creatures; and transmutation changes things, like making them taller, stronger, weaker, more pretty, etc."

{OOC: Con check: 13} (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2409738&postcount=49)

anIceFan
2007-04-16, 12:15 PM
Nalik

Nalik is pulled from his reverie to attend to matters at hand. Everyone seems to be curious as to how they proceed.

Hertz and Sarrok will need some time to recover from their wounds. We will take some time to examine this area and rest, and then we will proceed on orders. We find the comm device, and then we search out signs of the orcs.

He then listens in as Ziran has already started to examine items in the area for magic. He is pleasantly stunned when the gnome gets to the end of the list and announces that he has found the object of their search.

Most excellent Ziran! Wile we are in this location, you and Oliana can put your heads together and determine as much as you can the use of these items. Lets separate them into 3 groups, Those we know what they do, those that we know generally what they do, and those that we have no idea. For starters, I will try and use the comm. Device to contact Highgate command.

Sarrok and Hertz, I want you to take it easy. Kruhljack, you and Deladus keep watch, we are still in hostile territory. Carter and Elis, examine this area to see what else you can find.

Nalik takes the comm Device from Ziran. Holding it in his hand. He looks at it ans says sheepishly.

Bunnyslippers

dauphinous
2007-04-16, 12:41 PM
Elis wipes off his mouth, nodding, and starts surveying the surrounding area.

The amulet glows slightly as the command word leaves Nalik's lips. It is silent for a few moments, then a quiet male voice can be heard by anyone within five feet of the amulet. "Identify yourself."

anIceFan
2007-04-16, 12:57 PM
Nalik

This is Corporal Nalik Stormbrow, of the Defenders. Reporting that we have recovered the comm device.

dauphinous
2007-04-16, 02:03 PM
There is a pause. "Is there anything else to report?"

raspberrybadger
2007-04-16, 02:43 PM
Ziran Blueboots

Ziran retches a little at the stench, but gets on with the business of packing up the mundane items like the rope, and calming the various mounts.

anIceFan
2007-04-16, 02:58 PM
Nalik

Nothing at this time. We will be shifting our attention to the orcs shortly. I wanted command to be aware that we are back in communication.

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-16, 03:50 PM
Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak moves Cinnamon away from the beast, those acting to slaughter it and the rest, taking up a position a dozen feet or so upslope, surveying the area from his slightly advantageous position.

Nalik's instruction was superfluous by then.

dauphinous
2007-04-16, 05:06 PM
"Message received and understood. Is there any indication regarding the whereabouts of your predecessors?"

Holocron Coder
2007-04-16, 05:44 PM
Deladus

Deladus actively watches the surroundings, suddenly hoping the thing didn't have a mate... or a parent.

At the commander's query, Deladus raised an eyebrow and kicked a random piece of chain mail.

anIceFan
2007-04-16, 06:09 PM
Nalik

We can not be certain. We have exterminated some kind of lizard at it's lair. There appears to be evidence of a fight here, with scraps of armor. Two of our members have identified a piece of that armor to resemble that worn by one of our predecessors by the name of Allianne. We are currently located 3 hourse march to the north of our base, at the foot of the mountains.

dauphinous
2007-04-16, 06:28 PM
"Allianne." A pause. "And you strongly suspect the rest of the team is dead. Understood." Another pause, then the voice carries an undertone of annoyance. "Did you locate any sign of a suit of blue dragonhide armor?"

anIceFan
2007-04-16, 06:44 PM
Nalik

Nalik mutters,
Blue Dragonhide armor?

louder to the group
Has anyone seen any blue armor, dragonhide?

Does this comm have a mute button?

WarBrute
2007-04-16, 09:02 PM
Sarrok Balderk

When the beast is open Sarrok imeadiate turn and his face stiffens. The suddenly he bends over and heaves.

" Yes sir.. "take it easy" yes I think i going to go and wash up by the river" he walks in line to the river and washes as much blood off himself as possible. Ulfgard follows closely behind him.

con check (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=980889)

Annalia
2007-04-16, 10:47 PM
Hertz

As the stench reaches him, Hertz makes a sour face but doesn't throw up. He just had his own stomach opened, and wasn't about to be affected by the beast's. As Nalik orders him to take it easy, he frowns somewhat but nods. "Yes, sir..."

He takes Kylin's old horse reins and bring the mare away from the opened lizard. Leaning on a tree, he starts petting her slowly. You still need a name. "How about Ampere?" he says to her in a low voice. "That'll do fine." The name finally decided, he smiles and sits next to her.

((Con check: 1d20+1=15. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=981033)))

lawful_evil
2007-04-17, 11:24 AM
Carter

Ah, excellent, new orders... Carter takes up position with Elisathalan searching the area in a circular spiral type pattern.

Search (1d20+2=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=982089)

ah.. rock.. ooh.. grass.. hmm.. sticks... interesting...

oliana0
2007-04-17, 12:08 PM
Oliana

Oliana will take her time and collect all the pieces of armor and weapondry and other sundries together and try to determine how many people had been killed by the creature.

anIceFan
2007-04-17, 12:18 PM
Nalik

When no one reports seeing any blue dragonhide armor, Nalik responds back to the comm.

No Sir, no blue Dragonhide armor. Am I to assume we should take special care to seek some oot?

dauphinous
2007-04-17, 06:22 PM
"No. Is there anything else, Corporal?"

Oliana's informal headcount is suggestive of seven different people having been killed here, along with some sort of large animal and several small animals. Of the bipeds, four are human, elf, or half-elf, two are probably dwarven, and one is either a child or a halfling.

As he washes up at the river, Sarrok notices a small hollow partially covered by a pricky shrub. The sunlight glinting off of something metallic catches his eye, and he can see a Defender's armband in a neat little pile along with some shiny rocks, a piece of a broken silvered dagger, a few colored chips of glass, and a couple of copper pieces.

WarBrute
2007-04-18, 12:07 AM
Sarrok Balderk

"Nalik sir I think i found something" he reaches down and holds up the armband high as evidence of his discovery. "Its odd... for it to be it such a neat pile"

anIceFan
2007-04-18, 02:34 AM
Nalik

That is all sir.

assuming that conversation is done,

walks over to Sarrok
What have we here. Could this be some sort of marker? Does anyone have experience marking trails? does this look familiar to anyone?

dauphinous
2007-04-18, 05:42 AM
As soon as Nalik indicates the conversation is done, the amulet ceases to glow and it goes silent.

Both Sarrok and Nalik hear an indignant shout inside their heads as the armband is removed and displayed. There is nothing out loud for anyone else to hear, and no apparent source of the voice in their heads.

That's mine! Stop touching it!

Elisathalan finds another of the armbands caught on a branch of a shrub just a little downwind of the creature, flapping in a light breeze. He gently removes it and brings it over to Nalik.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-18, 06:54 AM
Deladus

Noticing several of the crew moving closer to the river to look at something, Deladus does as well, in the interests of keeping watch over them. He glances up and down the extent of the river, trusting Kruhljak to watch the forest where they had fought the creature.

WarBrute
2007-04-18, 08:55 AM
Sarrok Balderk

Hello!? Whos there" His voice wis hoarse but loud. He looks up and down the river before he slowly placed the armband down on the pile.

dauphinous
2007-04-18, 09:29 AM
Sarrok, Nalik, and Deladus all hear this in their heads:
Those are my things you are pawing through. If anyone should be identifying themselves, it is you.

A scan of the area shows nothing but grass, shrubs, rocks, and the other Defenders.

oliana0
2007-04-18, 10:24 AM
Oliana

Oliana looks around at the scene, notices the leader has walked off to the river, and wonders what to do next. Hertz was talking to a horse, Carter and Elis are busy searching the ground, and Kruhljak and Ziran were also too close to a horse to bother with.

So she sits down on the ground and pulls out a pen and paper and documents the items they found, samples the potions (a drop) to see if she recognizes any of them, and to make notes of their characteristics if she doesn't. Then she repacks her bag and adds the magical items to her pack. It should take about 10 minutes to do all of this.

anIceFan
2007-04-18, 03:53 PM
Nalik

To the group, loud enough to be heard, but trying not to sound threatening.
Be Alert!

Then responding to the voice in his head.
I am sorry friend. We are soldiers of Highgate. This armband, that you say is yours, identifies someone as a member of our band. Perhaps you would like to come where we can see you, and we can discuss how you came to be in possession of it.

lawful_evil
2007-04-18, 05:01 PM
Carter

Hearing the command, Carter draws his weapon and begins scanning the area for possible threats.

spot (1d20+2=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=985293)

dauphinous
2007-04-18, 06:48 PM
Across the river, a very small reptilian reddish-brown heads pops out to the side of a shrub, about a foot off the ground. The motion draws the attention of anyone looking anywhere near to where it is. It makes a little chirping noise that sounds very birdlike. The head scans the area quickly, then you all hear a voice inside your head.

Soldiers of Highgate? Did you know my mistress, Jessica?

anIceFan
2007-04-18, 07:01 PM
Nalik

Getting the impression that the beast is not a threat, Nalik does his best to look, and sound soothing.

I am afraid we don't know your mistress. Did these items belong to her? Why don't you come out here where we can talk nicely.

He examines the group to determine who appears the least threatening, and tries to wave Oliana over.

oliana0
2007-04-18, 07:21 PM
Oliana

Just starting her inventory and testing when the call comes out, Oliana places the items in her pack and looks up. Seeing Nalik waving at her, she takes it as a clue to head over.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-19, 12:28 PM
Deladus

Glancing at the creature, Deladus decides to keep watching the surrounding terrain, figuring that Nalik will give an alert if such is needed. Still, he keeps an ear to the conversation.

dauphinous
2007-04-20, 12:09 PM
The mind voice, still clear and heard by all, sounds disappointed. Oh. Yes, that was her armband. She's dead now. The big thing with the glowy eyes and sharp teeth killed her.

The rest of the tiny winged lizard steps out from behind the shrub, then leaps into the air and flies across the river. It is about the size of a cat with an extra long tail and about a 3 foot wingspan. Overall, it is a reddish-brown color with shapr black spines on its head and runnign in a line down its back. It's tail ends with a sharp black claw.

It lands about 10 feet away from Nalik, out of reach of anyone nearby. I didn't get anything else because I was scared of the monster.

oliana0
2007-04-20, 12:21 PM
Oliana

Oliana has a concerned look on her face when she leans to Nalik and asks quietly, "You hear that too, right?" Receiving affirmation, her face relaxes and she tries to catch-up on what has been 'said.'

"What's your name, little creature?"