PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Illumian power sigils

weckar
2014-10-06, 09:20 AM
Hi there. I just have two questions about the power sigils, but I felt that they were too broad to be put into the Q&A:

1. Does Enhanced Power Sigils boosts the improvements given by Improved Power Sigil (X)?

2. All the Improved Power Sigil (X) have the vague notation of giving their bonus per power sigil. Since this seems to be just a binary condition, but it isn't written that way, am I overlooking a method of obtaining more than two sigils?

dextercorvia
2014-10-06, 09:39 AM
2. In the first incarnation of Illumians, which you may be able to find in an old web preview, they could get more than two sigils. That language persisted after the edits to bring them into RoD.

weckar
2014-10-06, 10:26 AM
Hm, interesting bit of vestigial wording then. No table-legal way to still do it then, eh?

Threadnaught
2014-10-06, 03:45 PM
2. All the Improved Power Sigil (X) have the vague notation of giving their bonus per power sigil. Since this seems to be just a binary condition, but it isn't written that way, am I overlooking a method of obtaining more than two sigils?

Every 2nd level, the answer is simply to multiclass.

dextercorvia
2014-10-06, 05:57 PM
Every 2nd level, the answer is simply to multiclass.

You get a second sigil. Kind of hard to do that more than once.

weckar
2014-10-06, 06:15 PM
I must agree with dexter here, although the sidebar seems to agree with Threadnaught's (by semantics incorrect) reading.

Any word on my first question, yet?

Troacctid
2014-10-06, 07:28 PM
Enhanced Power Sigil says "The bonuses granted by each of your power sigils increase by 1." The Improved Sigil feats all say "Your [x] sigil grants you..." so yes, it works, with the exception of Improved Sigil (Krau), which does not use that language--and I'm inclined to believe that is intentional, as there is no "bonus" involved that Enhanced Power Sigil could improve. (Although it would of course be entirely reasonable for a DM to allow you to choose an extra spell with it.)

weckar
2014-10-06, 07:32 PM
the only written value as far as I can see in IS[KRAU] is the +1 to spell level, which may arguably be a +2, not? But you are right that the language is likely intentional. Inconsistent, but intentional. If that truly was the intention, a [special] bar may have been more useful.

Troacctid
2014-10-06, 09:36 PM
the only written value as far as I can see in IS[KRAU] is the +1 to spell level, which may arguably be a +2, not? But you are right that the language is likely intentional. Inconsistent, but intentional. If that truly was the intention, a [special] bar may have been more useful.

The others give an insight bonus that scales based on the number of sigils you have. With Krau, the thing that scales with your sigils is the number of spells that are improved, so based on the pattern, that's presumably what would be affected, if anything were affected.

Threadnaught
2014-10-07, 06:27 AM
I must agree with dexter here, although the sidebar seems to agree with Threadnaught's (by semantics incorrect) reading.

Oh I see, this belongs in the dysfunctional rules thread.

Though, the solution remains the same.

As to your first question, I'd have to agree with Troacctid.