PDA

View Full Version : Type Composition of the Monster Manual

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 09:59 AM
This does not include the Appendix A, which is nearly all beasts.

Type
# Entries
# Legendary

Aberration

Beast

Celestial

Construct

Dragon

Elemental

Fey

Fiend

Giant

Humanoid

Monstrosity

Ooze

Plant

Undead

Balor and Pit Fiends do not get Legendary actions, but Solars do.
The lowest CR creature with Legendary actions is the Unicorn, a CR 5 Celestial.
The undead with Legendary actions are Liches and Mummy Lords - not Vampires, also Vampires as I am reliably informed below. No Vampire Lords described.
Undead are evil except Ghosts and Revenants.

If you feel like homebrewing some creatures to share with us, there's a pretty obvious need for oozes and Fey. Fully expect a WotC "Manual of the Planes" to supply the Legendary Fiends and more Celestials coming soon.

The Vampire Lord would cry out to be home brewed except Vampires do not draw attention to themselves.

Greylind
2014-10-06, 10:27 AM
The undead with Legendary actions are Liches and Mummy Lords - not Vampires.

Full Vampires get Legendary Actions, also there are a couple of superior Vampire builds listed.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 10:31 AM
I looked at the Vampire entry and did not see Legendary - did I miss something, or are you working from a different source than I?

SaintRidley
2014-10-06, 11:00 AM
Bottom right of 297. Legendary actions: Move, Unarmed Strike, Bite. Plus regional effects listed on 296.

Also, every Dracolich will be legendary by default due to the fact that they all used to be adult or ancient dragons.

If we include every possible dracolich in the count, we come to 23 different types of legendary undead.

Also, I think you mean breakdown or composition in the thread title, not decomposition.

Jeraa
2014-10-06, 11:02 AM
I looked at the Vampire entry and did not see Legendary - did I miss something, or are you working from a different source than I?

Page 297, lower right hand corner? Also, regional effects on page 296.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 11:08 AM
Thank you Greylind, SaintRidley, and Jeraa. I have edited the thread starter to include Vampires as Legendary.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 11:12 AM
Bottom right of 297. Legendary actions: Move, Unarmed Strike, Bite. Plus regional effects listed on 296.

Also, every Dracolich will be legendary by default due to the fact that they all used to be adult or ancient dragons.

If we include every possible dracolich in the count, we come to 23 different types of legendary undead.

Also, I think you mean breakdown or composition in the thread title, not decomposition.

To decompose is break down into constituent parts, which is what I intended.
I carry dracolich as a template, which gets one entry; otherwise, "Zombie" represents "almost entire Monster Manual" different types of creature. I invite you to contemplate the Zombie Unicorn :smallwink:

SaintRidley
2014-10-06, 11:20 AM
Only problem there is zombie isn't a template, and we have no clear guidelines on how to turn anything into a zombie - we only know how to do the three we get in the book, and those all do very different things to their original creatures. Ogre zombies have the same CR as Ogres, but Beholder Zombies lose more than half their eye rays and chop off 9 from the CR. Dracolich is given clear guidelines as to what it does to the base creature.

Even if you don't want to, we are given an example legendary dracolich. So the count should probably up to four anyway, if only presented statblocks are of interest.

And while to decompose is to break into constituent parts, decomposition pretty much exclusively means decay or rotting.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 11:24 AM
Only problem there is zombie isn't a template, and we have no clear guidelines on how to turn anything into a zombie - we only know how to do the three we get in the book, and those all do very different things to their original creatures. Ogre zombies have the same CR as Ogres, but Beholder Zombies lose more than half their eye rays and chop off 9 from the CR. Dracolich is given clear guidelines as to what it does to the base creature.

Even if you don't want to, we are given an example legendary dracolich. So the count should probably up to four anyway, if only presented statblocks are of interest.

And while to decompose is to break into constituent parts, decomposition pretty much exclusively means decay or rotting.

Sorry, I'm a software engineer, and we decompose things all the time, so perhaps that word means something different to me than in usual parlance.

I can change it, though, since not everyone is a software engineer.

They just wish they were

:smallsmile:

Metahuman1
2014-10-06, 11:24 AM
Wait, the MM for 5E is now out?

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 11:25 AM
Wait, the MM for 5E is now out?

Yes, I got mine from Amazon but your FLGS has had one for a couple of weeks now.

_Ponders_

If I missed sarcasm I apologize for creating a sarchasm.

Metahuman1
2014-10-06, 11:36 AM
Huh. Is the DMG out as well? Cause I promised myself I'd not be looking at the system too closely till Core was out and I had a solid lock on what the characters and system could do and handle and what they could not.

Daishain
2014-10-06, 11:39 AM
Huh. Is the DMG out as well? Cause I promised myself I'd not be looking at the system too closely till Core was out and I had a solid lock on what the characters and system could do and handle and what they could not.
Not yet, DMG is due out in November iirc

But the PhB does a good job of detailing the system, at least from the player's perspective. What exactly are you looking for?

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 11:45 AM

You'll want to wait for DMG, which will include stuff about home brewing monsters and monster races as Player characters and so on.

Jeraa
2014-10-06, 11:51 AM
Not yet, DMG is due out in November iirc

Actually, it was pushed back a few weeks. Its December 9th now.

Metahuman1
2014-10-06, 11:54 AM
At the prices of 3 new books vs. 1 or 2 for if I decide to got Pathfinder or 1 for Fantasy craft or not having to buy anything if I decide to just use Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition for everything, I'm looking for REALLY good rules for playing monster characters that don't make me think "I could be a straight class wizard." (Or fighter or any other class.). And doesn't resolve the matter by going "Yeah, and the answer is, everyone generally sucks/is lame."

Cambrian
2014-10-06, 12:03 PM
Given this breakdown I don't understand why Ropers and Piercers were made monstrosities and not aberrations.

Any other strange typing people noticed?

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 12:11 PM
Given this breakdown I don't understand why Ropers and Piercers were made monstrosities and not aberrations.

Any other strange typing people noticed?

There were a few - Unicorns as celestials, not fey; Succubus / Incubus are neither demon nor devil, serving both; but Eriynes remain devils.

Dragon Turtles are now dragons and get a breath weapon.

MadGrady
2014-10-06, 02:35 PM
I was really hoping for at least The Great Cthulu to make an appearance in the MM. I guess we will have to wait for a Manual of the Planes for that as well.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 02:42 PM
I was really hoping for at least The Great Cthulu to make an appearance in the MM. I guess we will have to wait for a Manual of the Planes for that as well.

FOOL!

If Great Cthulhu appears he will devour your soul!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

MadGrady
2014-10-06, 02:49 PM
fool!

If great cthulhu appears he will devour your soul!
ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

oh god no!!!!!!!! Aaauuuuuuughghhhghghghghghghg

Talakeal
2014-10-06, 04:03 PM
Wait a second. Is outsider gone?

So all upper planer creatures are celestials, lower fiends, chaotic abberations, lawful constructs, and inner,planars are now elementals? This is a wierd oversimplification. I wonder what astral and ethereal stuff will be?

SaintRidley
2014-10-06, 04:15 PM
Wait a second. Is outsider gone?

That is going to cause some big problems down the line. Not all upper / lower planar creatures were celestials / fiends, but this is a minor nitpick. I assume that now chaotic outsiders will all just be classified as fiends (lovely), but what about non elemental inhabitants of the inner planes?

Away from book, but if I remember right the Modrons were classified as Constructs and the Slaadi as aberrations. That might be from an earlier article and not the Monster Manual, though.

Shining Wrath
2014-10-06, 04:26 PM
Away from book, but if I remember right the Modrons were classified as Constructs and the Slaadi as aberrations. That might be from an earlier article and not the Monster Manual, though.

Grrr.... can't remember if the Slaad wound up Aberrant or Monstrous. I think Aberrant, though.

Modrons definitely constructs.

pwykersotz
2014-10-07, 06:14 PM
Grrr.... can't remember if the Slaad wound up Aberrant or Monstrous. I think Aberrant, though.

Modrons definitely constructs.

Slaadi are aberrations in the book.