PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help with some Lore

sammyp03
2014-10-06, 11:23 AM
In my campaign setting, there is an ancient power granted to a select few individuals through out time know as alphas. This power lets PC's cast high magic (anything over 3rd level spells) as well as augmenting their abilities. I already know how I will do this power from a game mechanics stand point, but If you guys could give me some ideas on what to call this power and how it came to be would be greatly appreciated.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-06, 12:31 PM
Alphas reminds me of well...Wolf alphas. Perhaps the power of the land itself? Could create an odd dichotomy where these powerful people are drawn away from civilization, while everyone else is probably in some part drawn to walls, guards, clean water, etc. What is the technology level of the world, by the way?

Another is that humans have ancestors, either a separate race or ascended/enlightened people, and alphas just tap into that ancestry. Yeah, not original, I know, but it might work if those ancestors are say, dragons.

Of course, if this allows people to cast magic, maybe it has no more origin then magic itself. Magic might be sentient, but unable to stop people from tapping into itself. So it goes around making champions to get rid of some parasites that are just waaaaay off.

It could also be another plane, either the elemental ones, celestial/infernal/abyssal, or even the positive/negative planes. If this is the case, I'd seed the world with some remote/hidden outsiders that show that the plane of choice is connected more strongly to this Prime and often affects it. Could be enemies even!

sammyp03
2014-10-06, 01:00 PM
Alphas reminds me of well...Wolf alphas. Perhaps the power of the land itself? Could create an odd dichotomy where these powerful people are drawn away from civilization, while everyone else is probably in some part drawn to walls, guards, clean water, etc. What is the technology level of the world, by the way?

Another is that humans have ancestors, either a separate race or ascended/enlightened people, and alphas just tap into that ancestry. Yeah, not original, I know, but it might work if those ancestors are say, dragons.

Of course, if this allows people to cast magic, maybe it has no more origin then magic itself. Magic might be sentient, but unable to stop people from tapping into itself. So it goes around making champions to get rid of some parasites that are just waaaaay off.

It could also be another plane, either the elemental ones, celestial/infernal/abyssal, or even the positive/negative planes. If this is the case, I'd seed the world with some remote/hidden outsiders that show that the plane of choice is connected more strongly to this Prime and often affects it. Could be enemies even!

Technology is about what you would expect. The dwarves hold the more advanced stuff but no where near what it was during the old Empire (dwarves had magi science back then) "The initial thoughts I had were in my campaign the physical form of magic is called the orb of creation. The orb flows through the alphas allowing them to tap into hidden potential and the use of high magic." To me this is very bland. I also need a name to call this power

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-06, 03:52 PM
Why? Will the players be coming across anything referencing it? Perhaps it is so rare and not understood that it has no name. It might even be mistaken for a god and worshipped in some places.

sammyp03
2014-10-06, 04:55 PM
Why? Will the players be coming across anything referencing it? Perhaps it is so rare and not understood that it has no name. It might even be mistaken for a god and worshipped in some places.

It is actually integral to the campaign

Sith_Happens
2014-10-06, 05:02 PM
The old "descended from a group of ancient heroes who were blessed with awesome power by the gods so that they could [X]" explanation should work fine here.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-06, 05:03 PM
It is actually integral to the campaign

Integral does not mean it has been named yet, or even accurately named.

RedF0x11
2014-10-06, 05:26 PM
*lurker uncloaks*
I take it you want the players to be able to gain this power within play? So the next question is do you want them to start with the power or gain it by power or accident?

sammyp03
2014-10-07, 01:00 AM
*lurker uncloaks*
I take it you want the players to be able to gain this power within play? So the next question is do you want them to start with the power or gain it by power or accident?

The power can only be attained in a time of great need or emotional distress.