PDA

View Full Version : Ship logistics in Pathfinder

F1zban
2014-10-06, 11:25 AM
Hi Forum,

Me again with yet another question. I'm about to run a nautical adventure. The players have chosen by vote to have one of them as a captain and let him decide on the ship. What we have is a player who will act as first mate to an NPC captain, who will at later levels become the captain of the ship. The captain has chosen a 42 gun frigate for the specific purpose of having to manage logistics. I like this idea and I am discussing the degree to which these logistics are going to affect the game. At the moment we are at supplies and crew being perishable resources. Supplies including repair materials, food, water, and grog. Crew/officers being lost in battle and having to be replaced. So my question is this:
Are there any resources that I can reference to create such logistics in pathfinder?
As always, thanks in advance.

HMS Invincible
2014-10-06, 11:59 AM
Use stormrack for 3.5
Should translate fine.

Palanan
2014-10-06, 01:13 PM
If you're using a 42-gun frigate, probably the single best resource you can look at is The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution (http://www.amazon.com/44-Gun-Frigate-Constitution-Ironsides%2522-Anatomy/dp/1591142504/), which is one volume in the Anatomy of the Ship series. The book has some of the best scale deckplans you'll find for this type of ship, together with isolinear views that are extremely helpful in understanding the layout of the decks and rigging. Plus, if you have access to a scanner, you can create a battlegrid based directly on the deckplans.

This is the approach I used for my seafaring campaign, although in my case I relied on The 24-Gun Frigate Pandora (http://www.amazon.com/24-Gun-Frigate-Pandora-Anatomy-Ship/dp/0961502193/). As the numbers indicate, this is a smaller frigate (closer to the Surprise from Master and Commander), while the Constitution was a "superfrigate" designed to overwhelm the more conventional frigates then in service. Depending on what you're going for in the campaign, the difference in frigate sizes could be something to keep in mind.

As for Stormwrack, I dislike the book and never used it myself, apart from one or two druid spells. You certainly don't need it to run a seafaring campaign, not if you're willing to do some basic research on your own.

Curbstomp
2014-10-06, 10:23 PM
Personally I found Stormwrack extremely helpful for every nautical campaign that I have run. But that being said, it's not historically accurate. So it is really a question of how much work you want to put in and how close to real life you want your game to be. For me, Stormwrack has been a huge time-saver coupled with the online supplement with about a dozen ship modifications on it.

Broken Crown
2014-10-06, 10:34 PM
Stormwrack is not a very good resource if you want to be at all realistic about crewing and equipping a sailing ship. A historical reference book, such as the ones Palanan suggested, will be far more useful to you for this in terms of both accuracy and level of detail.

For example, Stormwrack will give you a number (which will be far too small) for how many people it takes to sail a ship of a certain type. A good reference book will not only give you better numbers, it'll also tell you what, exactly, all their jobs entail.