PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell - Buried Alive [PEACH]

Alias
2014-10-07, 10:28 AM
The Pathfinder version was flat save or die (well, be put in a situation all but guaranteeing death). Unlike finger of death, making it deal a truckload of damage makes no sense because of how it works. So, here's my first try at getting this to work.

Buried Alive
7th level sodran transmutation (Druid)
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 30’
Components: V, S, M (soil from a desecrated grave)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Choose a creature size large or smaller and the earth beneath them opens up and begins to swallow them. They can avoid this with a dexterity save. If they fail they proceed to step 1 of the burial process.

Step 1: Creature is buried to its knees and grappled. It can make a strength or dexterity save to escape to the surface, but they must succeed at a dexterity save on the following round to fully escape the spell. If the character fails proceed to step 2.

Step 2: The character is buried to their waist and restrained. A strength save is necessary to return to step 1. If the character fails, proceed to step 3.

Step 3: The character is effectively paralyzed, and buried to their neck. A strength save with disadvantage is required to return to the previous step. If it is failed, proceed to the final step.

Step 4: The character is buried alive. Unless it doesn’t need to breathe it will begin to suffocate. The character can no longer escape on its own – it’s allies must dig it out if it is to escape. You can push the character further into the earth at a rate of 2 feet a round – this will increase the time needed to dig the character out. Typically allies will be able to dig 1 foot a round to effect an escape.

If you cease concentration on the spell the character remains buried to the depth they where pushed to and will remain so for however long it takes to escape. Particularly vindictive sea druids have been known to use this spell to push foes in to their necks and then let the tide roll in to finish the job.

Throwing the victim a rope gives them advantage on their saves. Approaching close enough to pull the victim out will make the would be rescuer subject to the spell unless the rescuer has reach.

The target must be standing on unworked earth or the spell will fail.

At higher levels: Cast as a 9th level spell the target goes directly to step 2 on the first failed save, then to step 4 on the second.

Not sure of the level - since there are workarounds and concentration in required could it be lower as written? If so, how can it be made more dangerous - I'd rather let it stay at it's current level.

Arracor
2015-02-18, 01:15 AM
No comment on the balance aspect (certainly doesn't seem OVERLY powerful for its level, could possibly be under.) But I -do- think this spell is pretty damn awesome, and I can definitely see it making its way into one of my games in ability form. (Simpler than retroactively adding it to general spell lists, no?)

Leuku
2015-02-18, 01:27 AM
It's Cool. I like it.

Great for a Necromancer wizard.

Wizard: "I Cast Buried Alive!"

Victim: "Arrrrrrg..."

Wizard: "Let's wait a few minutes."

A few minutes later...

Wizard: "Riiiiise, my pet. RIIISE!"

Arracor
2015-02-18, 03:25 AM
I actually have an NPC queen whose favored method of execution is living entombment in stone. So a variant of this might make it into her repertoire, unique to her and her followers of the divine persuasion.