PDA

View Full Version : Two best of the Deadly Seven.

Marlowe
2014-10-07, 03:24 PM
So you're a making an Evil Cleric. Or maybe just a rather naughty Cleric. Maybe just a misunderstood Cleric. Whatever. Nobodies going to be nominating your guy (or girl) for any niceness awards.

But you don't want to worship one of those evil gods. Most evil gods are pretty silly. I mean; Scharossa (sic), you disguise your temples as bakeries?. Do you know what busy places bakeries are? Since few D&D settings are under communism, you can't just claim to be out of stock 24/7 365-straight and have people think it's normal. You've got to have people working at keeping the shelves full. At some point you're going to wake up and discover you've evolved into a Housekeeping goddess because your clerics are too busy getting the croissants right to do any actual torture. Anyway.

The Devils and Demons with their soap-opera antics are no better. So it's time to turn to the classics.

The Seven Deadly Sins.

There's a domain for each, and most of them are pretty tasty, so, without ado, let's argue vote on the two best:

Envy Domain (SC 273-274)

Core Deities: Erythnul.
Other Deities: None.

Granted Power: Add Bluff to your list of cleric class skills. In addition, you cast spells that damage or drain ability scores or bestow negative levels at +1 caster level.

Envy Domain Spells

Disguise Self: Changes your appearance.
Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray deals 1d6 +1/2 levels Str penalty.
Touch of Idiocy: Subject takes 1d6-point penalty to Int, Wis, and Cha.
Vampiric Touch: Touch deals 1d6/2 levels damage; caster gains damage as hp.
Crushing Despair: Subjects take -2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
Magic JarF: Enables possession of another creature.
Limited WishX: Alters reality—within spell limits.
SimulacrumMX: Creates partially real double of a creature.
WishX: As limited wish, but with fewer limits.

The Domain of messing up someone else for being better than you.

Gluttony Domain (SC 274)

Core Deities: None.

Granted Power: For a total time per day of 1 round per cleric level you possess, you can increase your size as if you were affected by the enlarge person spell. Activating the power or ending it is a free action.

Gluttony Domain Spells

Goodberry: 2d4 berries each cure 1 hp (max 8 hp/24 hours).
Death Knell: Kills dying creature; you gain 1d8 temporary hp, +2 to Str, and +1 caster level.
Create Food and Water: Feeds three humans (or one horse)/level.
Vampiric Touch: Touch deals 1d6/2 levels damage; caster gains damage as hp.
Baleful Polymorph: Transforms subject into harmless animal.
Heroes' Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.
Stone to Flesh: Restores petrified creatures.
Bite of the King: Swallow enemies whole.
Trap the SoulMF: Imprisons subject within gem.

The Domain of keeping you and your mates fat and happy

Greed Domain (SC 275)

Core Deities: Erythnul, Tiamat.
Other Deities: Abbathor, the Glutton, Roknar, Urdlen, Vaprak.

Granted Power: You gain a +2 competence bonus on Appraise, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand checks.

Greed Domain Spells

Cheat: Caster rerolls when determining the success of a game of chance.
Entice Gift: Subject gives caster what it's holding.
Knock: Opens locked or magically sealed door.
Fire TrapM: Opened object deals 1d4 damage +1/level.
Fabricate: Transforms raw materials into finished items.
Guards and Wards: Array of magical effects protects area.
Teleport Object: As teleport, but affects a touched object.
Phantasmal Thief: Creates an unseen force that steals from others.
SympathyM: Object or location attracts certain creatures.

The Domain of getting rich on someone else's poor security.

Lust Domain (SC 276)

Forgotten Realms Deities: Sharess.

Granted Power: Once per day as a free action, you gain an enhancement bonus to Charisma equal to your cleric level. The power lasts for 1 round.

Lust Domain Spells

Charm Person: Makes one person your friend.
Invisibility: Subject is invisible for 1 minute/level or until it attacks.
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 minute/level.
Planar Ally, LesserX: Exchange services with a 6 HD extraplanar creature.
ScryingF: Spies on subject from a distance.
Symbol of PersuasionM: Triggered rune charms nearby creatures.
RefugeM: Alters item to transport its possessor to you.
SympathyM: Object or location attracts certain creatures.
Trap the SoulMF: Imprisons subject within gem.

The Domain of...stalking and kidnapping. :smalleek: Pretty dark there, WotC.

Pride Domain (SC 278-279)

Core Deities: Wee Jas.
Other Deities: Memnor.

Granted Power: Whenever your roll a 1 on a saving throw, you can immediately reroll the save. You must keep the result of the second roll if it is another 1.

Pride Domain Spells

Hypnotism: Fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
Eagle's Splendor: Subject gains +4 Cha for 1 minute/level.
Heroism: Gives +2 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks.
Divine Power: You gain attack bonus, +6 to Str and 1 hp/level.
Reduce Person, Mass: Reduces several creatures.
ForbiddanceM: Blocks planar travel, damages creatures of different alignment.
Heroism, Greater: Gives +4 bonus on attacks, saves, skill checks; immunity to fear; temporary hp.
Spell Immunity, Greater: As spell immunity, but up to 8th-level spells.
Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30'.

The Domain of not giving a damn what those lowly monsters think.

Sloth Domain (SC 280)

Granted Power: You are closest to your god while lazing and relaxing. You take no penalty to Armor Class against melee attacks while prone.

Sloth Domain Spells

Touch of Fatigue: Touch attack fatigues subject.
Unseen Servant: Invisible force obeys your commands.
Deep Slumber: Puts 10 HD of creatures to sleep.
Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, -2 to AC, -2 on attack rolls.
Symbol of SleepM: Triggered rune puts nearby creatures into catatonic slumber.
Waves of Fatigue: Several targets become fatigued.
Shadow Walk: Step into shadow to travel rapidly.
Waves of Exhaustion: Several subjects become exhausted.
Astral ProjectionM: Projects you and companions onto the Astral Plane.

The Domain of not caring enough to actually kill somebody.

Wrath Domain (SC 282)

Other Deities: Joramy.

Granted Power: Once per day, you can subtract a number of points from your Wisdom score equal to or less than your cleric level. For every 2 points you subtract from your Wisdom score, add 1 point and add them to your Strength score. You suffer all the effects of reduced Wisdom, including access to spells and bonus spells, reduction of Will saves, and penalties on Wisdom-based skills. This trade between ability scores lasts for 1 round per cleric level and cannot be ended prematurely.

Wrath Domain Spells

Rhino's Rush: Next charge deals double damage.
Bull's Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
Rage: Subjects gain +2 to Str and Con, +1 on Will saves, -2 to AC.
Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 5d6 sonic damage.
Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.
Song of Discord: Forces targets to attack each other.
Tenser's TransformationM: You gain combat bonuses.
Shout, Greater: Devastating yell deals 10d6 sonic damage; stuns creatures, damages objects.
Storm of Vengeance: Storm rains acid, lightning, and hail.

The Domain of hitting stuff.

atemu1234
2014-10-07, 03:27 PM
You know me, I'm a fan of all seven. But right now, I'm going to have to go with wrath.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-07, 03:43 PM
Wrath and Pride give you some awesome combat spells, and fluff together well, they're probably my favorite combination.

As for individual domains, I'd say Envy is probably one of the best regarding spell selection; it gives you a bunch of spells not on the core cleric list, after all. Lust also gives a nice set of arcane spells.

Granted powers, though. Most of them are eh. I could see a fun build using the Sloth Domain and some other stuff to gain power by falling down. However, there are two that stand out.

First, Pride. Usable at will, reduces your chance of auto-failing a save to 1 in 400, and makes rolling a 1 better than most of the other low rolls. I'd take this one in a heartbeat.

Lust's is also pretty great. More Charisma means more turn attempts, which means more DMM. Even if it's only one round, you can add the extra turn attempts onto your own and expend them all in a DMM Persist frenzy. Round 1, DMM Persist an Extended buff. Repeat until you do not have enough turning attempts left for another DMM Persist. Then use the Lust domain granted power, expend the rest of your turn attempts on another buff.

To sum up: Wrath and Pride is the best pairing, Envy and Lust have the best spells, Pride and Lust have the best granted powers. Thus, if we're voting on the best two separate domains, my vote goes to Pride and Lust; if it's the best combination, then my vote is for Wrath and Pride.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-07, 03:44 PM
Disclaimer: Personal bias toward sloth/pride, but mainly, lust. :smallredface:

Envy has some pretty cracking top end spells. Not sure why a cleric would want wish, but whatever. And simulacrum? Lol, that will be fun.

Gluttony actually has some strong utility stuff. Might be some nice flavor there.

And sloth has the awesome astral projection; go on vacation while on vacation.

Now some concepts:

- Sloth/greed: Everyone should just slow down, don't you think? Life has so many things to enjoy; weather, flowers, colorful trinkets...the list goes on and on. Well, work is hard, but stuff is cool. Take stuff, avoid work. Exploit others to get stuff done, take what you want with the least effort possible because...fun? Wouldn't want to try too hard, right? I mean, the best stuff in life is free, right?

This combo would emphasize most gain for least effort. Plain and simple.

- Lust/Gluttony: Hehe. Well, aside from the obvious combos, perhaps focus on someone that is about the joy of consumption, not just of food, but of anything expendable. Quantity over quality, as they say. And an orgasmic joy from consuming might not be misplaced, as well. You don't just enjoy taking the last [x], you enjoy it. Strong overlap with greed, but enough space to define a theme, I think.

- Pride/Wrath: The Mac Daddy of all sins, Pride, is really a fun one for me. Why is it okay? Because you said so. You are the authority, the center of everything, and no one matter's to you aside from yourself. You are right, always. All ways are your ways. (Go, Queen of Hearts!) You believe yourself the best at something (or perhaps everything), and, in this case, it's getting angry. You make Mr. TORGUE look like he's on Valium. Everything can be solved with the right application of rage, and that's basically how you handle everything.

Venger
2014-10-07, 03:56 PM
You know me, I'm a fan of all seven. But right now, I'm going to have to go with wrath.

not sure if quoting mal, or commenting on the topic.

anyway, as far as which two are best, like with most things, it depends on what exactly you want your guy to do.

since it's clear from the context, you're referring to the domains in a vacuum, let's look at numbers:

none of greed and envy domains' spells are actually on the cleric list, which is pretty great right off the bat.

all of greed domain's spells are really useful and are something you'll probably be able to actually do something with on a daily basis for the most part while adventuring or during downtime (e.g. fabricate) even if its domain power kind of sucks

envy domain's granted power, otoh, is awesome. there's a lot of spells on your list as a cleric that can damage/drain abilities and dish out negative levels as a cleric, and a free +1 cl with them will never be remiss. plus bluff! its spells too are absolute pure 24 carat gold and even better than greed's (WISH! and simulacrum too!) having wish and limited wish in your back pocket really boosts the hell out of your versatility since you can use it to emulate other spell effects.

personally, those are my picks for the best of the 7 deadly sins domains, but the others have some cute stuff too:

gluttony:
only 6 of its spells aren't cleric spells, which is ok I guess, but less of them are things you care about. goodberry? really? and who the hell needs to cast stone to flesh every day? you're playing in some kind of weird game if that's the case. bite of the king is funny, and if you take gluttony, you're probably some kind of brute cleric, so you'll get great use out of its granted power to become a big fatty for a few rounds a day, but if you want that you're likely better off taking dorsein's hunger domain, giving an actual bite attack alongside various ghoul-related spells and just casting righteous might instead

lust:
domain power's sort of situational, but I suppose it could see some use in a DMM build to grant extra turns. if only it weren't enhancement

only 5 of its spells aren't already on the cleric list, which is pretty lame. clairaudience/clairvoyance isn't something most adventurers are likely to be casting every day, and like many other domains, you get trap the soul as a 9th. seriously, who cares? nobody uses this spell, it's a terrible return on investment, same with sympathy. I rate this domain nottie.

pride:
domain power is literally a lifesaver, especially since it's passive and not 1/day.

6/9 noncleric spells on the list. hypnotism's pretty worthless since it doesn't scale, and I don't know any situation where you'd want to cast mass reduce person.

charm monster is a weird choice for this list, seeming more appropriate for the lust domain, but it's still an OK effect assuming you can find a ton of monsters at CR 17+ who aren't immune to mind affecting

sloth:
I know there was a build or two on the boards about six months ago that tried to take advantage of crawling around on your belly and shooting crossbows to "take advantage" of sloth domain's funky worthless domain power. you'll never be lamenting that your cleric doesn't have this.

7/9 noncleric spells with a good amount of utility. shadow walk is a cool spell and I like the thematic element at play: "forget that, I don't wanna walk, let's flit through the astral plane instead" slow is a cool debuff and deep slumber's HD cap is high enough that you might actually use it once in a while at mid lvls, even if you'll ditch it by high lvls since everything's immune to sleep/mind affecting at that point.

wrath:
domain power's really involved and I have no idea why you'd ever want to nerf your primary casting stat to juice strength, much less for only 1 round/lvl.

OH

they actually expect you to use tenser's transformation on yourself as a "buff" instead of blasting an enemy with it as an ocular spell to turn off his casting?

that's gross.

6/9 non-cleric spells, which is nice, if only they weren't so useless. shout/greater shout are pretty worthless. their only real noteworthy factor is that they're popular choices to cast while grappled, but you're a cleric. that's what freedom of movement is for. tenser's transformation turns you into a low-budget fighter for a little while, so it basically sucks. rage similarly prevents you and your friends from casting spells, but is willing only, so unlike tenser's, it can't be used as an ocular debuff on enemies. and since it's concentration, you can't even use it to juice yourself up and crack some skulls. song of discord is kind of OK, but your other domain slot is probably better than this since now's the time when mind-affecting begins to look a lot less scary. this domain fails, but it sure does make me angry, so there is that.

so my pics are greed and envy: all non-cleric spells that are mostly useful, pretty cool granted powers, and no overlap between them

have fun!

atemu1234
2014-10-07, 04:01 PM
Both!

I really do like the domains. Especially Wrath. I also liked Serenity.

Greenish
2014-10-07, 04:05 PM
I'd say Sloth and, well, I can't be bothered to pick another.

Though Sloth's granted power seems handy for those who take the Pride domain.

deuxhero
2014-10-07, 04:08 PM
Pride has an AMAZING power. Wee Jas being neutral and all around pretty cool god makes it even better

Brookshw
2014-10-07, 05:19 PM
Sloth. Also a number of Pride's might work well under Lust.