PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimizing a Paladin//Swashbuckler

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 04:31 PM
Ok so I am playing a Paladin (of Freedom really)//Swashbuckler in an upcoming game. We do Gestalt a little differently. We believe that if you are running two classes you should also get two sets of feats so double the feats. But if you take a feat it has to directly benefit the side you are taking it on. For example if you are a Wizard//Warblade and take Power Attack and Cleave as first level this wouldn't be allowed. As Cleave or Power Attack do nothing for Wizard and clearly don't benefit the class.

So how can I make a Paladin work well with a one hand style of weapon, with the occasional buckler use?
I plan on taking Duelist at level 7 so I can't always use Buckler or I lose that level to damage.
Level to Damage is gonna be a thing for this build.
Paladin's Smite grants Level to damage, Swashbuckler has precise strike which can double level with a Panache point, Duelist gives Precise strike as well. So potentially up to x4 level to damage at least when using Smite and a Panache point, double level as a default with a rapier or one handed slashing weapon.

I know Lay on Hands and Swashbucklers class features are Swift action and that makes the bottleneck even tighter but doable.

This gives amazing saves and immunity to diseases which is just sweet. A self enhancing bonded Rapier so saves on some spare cash.

But can we optimize each side and still have them work well together?

Sayt
2014-10-07, 04:53 PM
Paladin//Swashbuckler actually makes your action economy a bit easier, as you can basically ignore charmed life.

If you take tiefling, you can take Tiefling favored class bonus for paladin and the Fey Foundling feat at 1, you get really good at healing yourself.

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 05:03 PM
Paladin//Swashbuckler actually makes your action economy a bit easier, as you can basically ignore charmed life.

If you take tiefling, you can take Tiefling favored class bonus for paladin and the Fey Foundling feat at 1, you get really good at healing yourself.

Tiefling has a -2 Cha penalty, so I would have to use Div-Spawn (Spitespawn) or Rakshasa-Spawn (Beastbrood).

Sayt
2014-10-07, 05:30 PM
Well, of course. The Div-Spawn Tiefling seems ideal for a Swashbuckler//Paladin.

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 05:47 PM
True, the +2 to Dex and Cha is sweet

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 06:47 PM
But does anyone have any feat ideas for the Paladin?

Fencer's Grace, Combat Reflexes, and Step Up are going to the Swashbuckler half with Weapon Spec as a level 4 bonus

But I dont know what to get for Paladin

Dayaz
2014-10-07, 06:56 PM
if you're aiming to be a beastmode duelist type character, the pally side could always just get Weapon Finesse and maybe a couple combat feats... it does technically help the pally side, since it'll help with attacking and defense if your just focus on Dex/Cha

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 07:35 PM
Swashbuckler grants Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, Inspired Blade gives Weapon Focus as a bonus feat as well but only with Rapier.

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 08:11 PM
I was considering just having the feats be Extra Lay on Hands, Greater Mercy, and Ultimate Mercy by level 6 and pump Cha till I got 10 Lay on hands (Doable) which allows me bring back the dead.

grarrrg
2014-10-07, 09:39 PM
We believe that if you are running two classes you should also get two sets of feats so double the feats. But if you take a feat it has to directly benefit the side you are taking it on. For example if you are a Wizard//Warblade and take Power Attack and Cleave as first level this wouldn't be allowed. As Cleave or Power Attack do nothing for Wizard and clearly don't benefit the class.

Odd, but it shouldn't affect a Paladin/Swashbuckler too much, seeing as how they are basically both "smash face" types.

Paladin's Smite grants Level to damage, Swashbuckler has precise strike which can double level with a Panache point, Duelist gives Precise strike as well. So potentially up to x4 level to damage at least when using Smite and a Panache point, double level as a default with a rapier or one handed slashing weapon.

You aren't going to get x4 level to damage.
Paladin Smite only counts Paladin levels.
Swashbuckler only counts Swash.
Duelist only counts Duelist.

Whichever side goes Duelist will stop that sides bonus damage.
On a related note: Which side are you taking Duelist on?

I'm also not sure that Duelist is all that much better than more Paladin or more Swash. Is there any particular feature you are drawn towards?

You could also see if you can get an Alignment-appropriate version of the Iroran Paladin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/enlightened-paladin-paladin-archetype) archetype approved.
You'd gain CHA-to-AC, you'd lose normal Smite, but gain a slightly weaker "Smite Anything". It's a quite solid archetype.

Nerdtothe3rd
2014-10-07, 11:11 PM
Not sure about the unarmed archetype working, But yes in a gestalt the smite and precise damage should be equal at like say 5 if its a 5//5

Also were do I see the alternate alignment section.

I might drop Duelist to make it straight runs of Paladin and Swashbuckler

Oath of Vengeance allows you to trade Lay on Hands for extra Smites per day.