PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Druids, Rapid Spell, and Spontaneously Cast Summon Nature's Ally

ApologyFestival
2014-10-07, 08:06 PM
A (hopefully) quick and easy question to the playground: Can a druid apply the Rapid Spell feat to a spontaneously cast summon nature's ally spell, and so decrease the casting time to either a standard action or a full-round action, without the extra time required for spontaneous metamagic? As a follow-up to this, can a druid then apply Quicken Spell to the same spell, to get it down to a free action?

eggynack
2014-10-07, 08:10 PM
No. Rapid spell can explicitly only be applied to a spontaneously cast spell if its original casting time was longer than a full round. I would advise looking into options like shifter druid substitution levels from races of eberron, or a chronocharm of the uncaring archmage from the magic item compendium, or even golden desert honey from complete mage, if you seek this effect.

Venger
2014-10-07, 08:25 PM
No. Rapid spell can explicitly only be applied to a spontaneously cast spell if its original casting time was longer than a full round. I would advise looking into options like shifter druid substitution levels from races of eberron, or a chronocharm of the uncaring archmage from the magic item compendium, or even golden desert honey from complete mage, if you seek this effect.

huh? no, rapid spell can apply to any spell with a casting time longer than one standard action. a full round action spell is a valid target for rapid spell, which is why it's so popular for summoners.

eggynack
2014-10-07, 08:31 PM
huh? no, rapid spell can apply to any spell with a casting time longer than one standard action. a full round action spell is a valid target for rapid spell, which is why it's so popular for summoners.
Unless the spell is spontaneously cast. You can check the special line of the feat if you want evidence of that. If the spell is cast from a prepared slot, then everything is hunky dory.

Venger
2014-10-07, 08:37 PM
oh, I see. what an odd exception. because sorcerers really needed to be nerfed harder.