PDA

View Full Version : Any way to ignore skill prereqs on feats?

qwertyu63
2014-10-07, 09:48 PM
The title says it all; is there anyway to ignore the skill prereq on a feat?

TheIronGolem
2014-10-07, 09:52 PM
Only way I know of is taking levels in a class that gives you "Gain Feat X even if you don't meet the prerequisites"

Venger
2014-10-07, 09:57 PM
is there a specific feat you want? there are ways to obtain many for free or without meeting prereqs.

qwertyu63
2014-10-07, 10:04 PM
is there a specific feat you want? there are ways to obtain many for free or without meeting prereqs.

The feat is actually Legendary Commander (I'm using dragonwrought kobold cheese). I suspect the answer is "No", but I'm asking anyway.

Venger
2014-10-07, 10:10 PM
The feat is actually Legendary Commander (I'm using dragonwrought kobold cheese). I suspect the answer is "No", but I'm asking anyway.

well, if you're playing an epic game, you're basically making up your own rules anyway, but if you're in a game that allows epic DWK nonsense, then jam 10 lvls of rogue onto your guy and pick "feat" for the special ability. you don't need to meet the prereq for it, so you can pick it even though it has a bunch of prereqs.

qwertyu63
2014-10-07, 10:21 PM
well, if you're playing an epic game, you're basically making up your own rules anyway, but if you're in a game that allows epic DWK nonsense, then jam 10 lvls of rogue onto your guy and pick "feat" for the special ability. you don't need to meet the prereq for it, so you can pick it even though it has a bunch of prereqs.

I'm DM'ing this game that allows DWK nonsense (which my reading of the text says should work, but I would never allow a PC to use) for its main BBGG. I could just wave my hands and say "DM powers make it all work", but I don't like doing that.

Also, can you really ignore prereqs on bonus feats like that? That sounds so broken; I may have to use it.

Venger
2014-10-07, 10:24 PM
I'm DM'ing this game that allows DWK nonsense (which my reading of the text says should work, but I would never allow a PC to use) for its main BBGG. I could just wave my hands and say "DM powers make it all work", but I don't like doing that.

Also, can you really ignore prereqs on bonus feats like that? That sounds so broken; I may have to use it.

oh, you're the DM.

well, that's the same sorta litmus: whether you'll let a PC use it, since that way it'll be in actual play instead of being one-off for an NPC to use. RAW, DWK is a thing and consequently they get to abuse stuff like epic feats and age categories, and RAW, rogue's bonus feats don't say you have to meet the prereqs, not that it flies in most games.

if you're DMing, your players probably won't care that much about him having some extra cohorts.

ben-zayb
2014-10-08, 12:16 AM
Take a Magic Mantle Ardent with at least 4 Void Disciple and 10 Metamind levels.

Have a StP Erudite have Psy Chirurgery to you practically all spells and powers that can be taught. (required: Temp Reiteration and Body Outside Body).

Do the temporal reiteration + font of power trick.

Cast BoB as many times as you want, and have them use Moment of Clarity on you for ANY feat. Enjoy getting Legendary Commander as well as EVERY FEAT EVER (and as many as possible of repeatable deats, like NI Great Intelligence, Epic Prowess, Multipower, etc).

bekeleven
2014-10-08, 01:17 AM

It's iffy. There's text in the MM that says Bonus feats don't need prereqs, but it identifies bonus feats as things marked with a superscript B (which it does in monster stat blocks; in stat blocks of monsters that are fighters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/harpy.htm), it does not mark fighter bonus feats with the B).

There's other text suggesting bonus feats don't need prereqs; the monk famously doesn't need them to select a bonus feat, but Curmudgeon will point out that you'd still need them to use the feat, as selecting and using a feat are two different in-game interactions. The fighter has specific text noting that you need to qualify for the feats, although whether that's a specific exception or reminder text is debatable.

In the end, you're the DM. Just go with your gut.

Rubik
2014-10-08, 01:30 AM
A level in illithid savant will let you eat other characters for their skill ranks, with no limits on how many ranks you can get in this way (aside from actually overpowering said characters, which may or may not be difficult). Just consume a diplomancer of sufficient level, and you should gain those ranks.

Venger
2014-10-08, 01:41 AM
A level in illithid savant will let you eat other characters for their skill ranks, with no limits on how many ranks you can get in this way (aside from actually overpowering said characters, which may or may not be difficult). Just consume a diplomancer of sufficient level, and you should gain those ranks.

easiest way is probably just picking on one of his followers with enough ranks in the relevant skill. a lvl 27+ expert or something and eating him. since he's an NPC, he doesn't care about the tiny hit to his leadership score.