PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Duskblade: Leap attack vs. Combat Reflexes

Kafana
2014-10-08, 02:23 AM
I have a duskblade, level 8 with one open feat slot remaining. He has DEX 15 and wields a Guisarme. If I take leap attack I'll put 9 ranks in jump (with a STR +3 and armor check penality -3 I'll be able to always succede on the jump).

Now, I have a feeling that AoOs are a certainy for me, while leap attack can be nice, but in close quarters it might not be as good (especially since I'll always need 25ft, 10 for the run, 10 for the jump and 5 for the reach). However, leap attack seems really nice, doing triple damage, especially in combination with true strike.

So, thoughts?

Gwendol
2014-10-08, 02:31 AM
I'd say combat reflexes: not only does it allow you to make multiple AoO's, but also to be able to make AoO's while flat-footed.

However, my guess is that you are not very trip-oriented? That lowers the utility of the feat. For a Duskblade the Combat reflexes/Knock down combo would do wonders, but it's quite the investment.

Kafana
2014-10-08, 02:33 AM
However, my guess is that you are not very trip-oriented? That lowers the utility of the feat. For a Duskblade the Combat reflexes/Knock down combo would do wonders, but it's quite the investment.

Nah, I didn't go down the trip route. Would you still recommend combat reflexes without trip?

Gwendol
2014-10-08, 02:49 AM
It's hard to tell without knowing your playstyle. With the Duskblade you have innate access to short range teleports and so can be expected to be able to set up a leap attack somewhat regularly. That would be your offensive choice, while the other is more defensive.

Ruut
2014-10-08, 05:12 AM
I would say Combat Reflexes, simply for:

At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

Leap Attack is subpar compared to Arcane Strike (Duskblade Only).

Kafana
2014-10-08, 05:42 AM
Leap Attack is subpar compared to Arcane Strike (Duskblade Only).

Why not both?

Eldaran
2014-10-08, 07:11 AM
Leap Attack only works on a charge, Arcane Channel only works on a standard action (or full attack at level 13). They're not compatible, and since Arcane Channel is the main draw of the Duskblade, I don't see why you'd want Leap Attack.

KingSmitty
2014-10-08, 07:40 AM
Leap attack is good, but so is combat reflex. Though i'd say go for reflexes

Manly Man
2014-10-08, 07:45 AM
Leap Attack only works on a charge, Arcane Channel only works on a standard action (or full attack at level 13). They're not compatible, and since Arcane Channel is the main draw of the Duskblade, I don't see why you'd want Leap Attack.

If you find a way to get Pounce easily enough, there's that going for Leap Attack, but I'm not sure even a one-level dip into Barbarian is all that great for the rest of the build.