PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need everyones expertice on this matter!

Petrakiss
2014-10-08, 03:04 AM
Hello all and thank you for viewing my message!

1) Natural Bond states that:

Add three to your effective druid level for the purpose of determining the bonus Hit Dice, extra tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses that your animal companion receives (see page 36 of the Player's Handbook). This bonus can never make your effective druid level exceed your character level.
If a character has multiple animal companions, the bonus granted by this feat applies to one of them.

My problem is I need clarification on If I can take multiple Natural Bond's on 1 animal. So if my dire ape is -9, can I take 3x natural bonds? I know it cant go past my effective druid level but can I apply towards it?

2) Can I give Improve unarmed strike to my dire ape? In my mind and from looking at the picture of a dire ape, If it has hands then why not? I know I can give it improve natural attack but just for clarification can I give it Improve unarmed strike?

3) A hot blue berry muffin with a side scoop of vanilla ice-cream....

supermonkeyjoe
2014-10-08, 03:21 AM
1) No you can't unless the feat states that you can take it multiple times and that it stacks then it doesn't.

2) There is nothing prohibiting it from learning unarmed strike but as an animal it wouldn't actually be proficient with an unarmed strike so would take a -4 penalty to hit.

3) thank you very much

Gwendol
2014-10-08, 03:32 AM
I'd like to say that you can take Natural Bond only once per animal, but looking at the feat I'm not all that sure.

Yes, the ape can use IUS, and doesn't need hands (just as anyone else using an unarmed strike). It's not that great of a feat for an animal though, since it is a separate attack from their natural weapons. An unarmed strike from a dire ape would deal 1d4+6 damage (bludgeoning) and would not benefit from rake. The only advantage would be when iterative attacks comes online as the ape BAB hits +6 and above.

Petrakiss
2014-10-08, 03:39 AM
Ah thank you ^_^

Gwendol
2014-10-08, 03:56 AM
1) No you can't unless the feat states that you can take it multiple times and that it stacks then it doesn't.

2) There is nothing prohibiting it from learning unarmed strike but as an animal it wouldn't actually be proficient with an unarmed strike so would take a -4 penalty to hit.

3) thank you very much

Unarmed strikes are attacking without a weapon which similar to other unarmed attacks does not require proficiency.

Petrakiss
2014-10-08, 04:12 AM
I'd like to say that you can take Natural Bond only once per animal, but looking at the feat I'm not all that sure.

Yes, the ape can use IUS, and doesn't need hands (just as anyone else using an unarmed strike). It's not that great of a feat for an animal though, since it is a separate attack from their natural weapons. An unarmed strike from a dire ape would deal 1d4+6 damage (bludgeoning) and would not benefit from rake. The only advantage would be when iterative attacks comes online as the ape BAB hits +6 and above.

1) since you can only take Improve Natural Attack once (per Natural attack of animal it has) its Damage will stop, but with Improve Unarmed Strike then taking Superior Unarmed Strike, wont the damager be better? 2d6 as oppose to 1d8? also SUS at 10th gets you to 1d8 so with another 2 more dice ups for higher levels.

2) I'm trying to get my dire ape to be strong (beastmaster level +3 which after applying Natural Bond to -6 for die ape sets it to 0) So I thought If i take INA and IUS I can choose what option to use. Rend is good if I can land 2 claw attacks 1d8+10 x2 + Rend 2d8+13 (atm were its at) were as SUS is 2d6+10 (at level 17) which for 1 attack 1d8+10 vs 2d6+10 = SUS better but full attack (making sure both claws hit) 2d8+10 + rend 2d8+13.

3) Also I was thinking by having IUS I can take other feats like Flying Kick, Snap Kick, Hammer Fist (need to make sure if its 2 attacks at once) which in conjunction with other feats to provide combo's with them would go great :O

4) My mission is to make my dire ape strong (I'm not seeking to be ALMIGHTY!! BOW DOWN BEFORE THE BANANA LORD!) but I'm scared my dire ape is going to be less effective at higher levels... I know that there are magic items I can get but.... :O just a little worried so PLEASE! Share your wisdom on this matter and help my dire ape (his name is prime) become a sexy beast ^_^

5) Volcano chocolate pudding with soft creamy caramel center along with 1 scoop of vanilla ice-cream......

Petrakiss
2014-10-08, 04:16 AM
I forgot to mention I'm searching for other classes (or presage classes) that can help increase effectiveness (like buffs and auras and stuff) to my animals while also it implies the druid effective level. If not I can just stick with beast master.