PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psionics: Psychic Mage/Cerebremancer?

Xuldarinar
2014-10-08, 07:38 AM
Poking around psionic content, something occurred to me. The psychic mage, an archetype of the wizard, on its own can qualify for cerebremancer. Now, the question is to what end?

How does it qualify? Psychic mage, an archetype of the wizard class, grants the wizard the ability to put psion/wilder powers into their spell book and can manifest them using their spellslots.

Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 3 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 3 ranks.
Even if class skills suffered the cross class advancement problem they had in 3.5, the wizard would have both as class skills anyways. Easily achieved by 3rd level.
Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
A wizard is a wizard s a wizard. They cast arcane spells. psychic mage 3.
Psionics: Able to manifest 2nd-level powers.
They can scribe psionic powers into their spell book, and these are of the same level as their spells, so.. psychic mage 3

Now, I can see a few possibilities using this.

You can become a psychic mage/cerebremancer, using both "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class" and "+1 level of existing manifesting class" to advance psychic mage. In essence, 1 cerebremancer level advancing the psychic mage 2 levels for casting/manifesting.

or

You can qualify and advance in the prestige class, but you cannot apply both sides of advancement to the psychic mage, meaning you should at least dip in another class for full effect. Not as much cheese but it is early entry, entering 2 levels earlier than normal.

What do you think?

Sian
2014-10-08, 08:43 AM
mixing 3.5 and pathfinder can cause books to fly, this is one of the protential cases

Xuldarinar
2014-10-08, 08:58 AM
mixing 3.5 and pathfinder can cause books to fly, this is one of the protential cases

Well, while that is true we don't need to mix the two systems in this case. Just take this prestige class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/cerebremancer), and an archetype I wish was posted on the SRD. Somehow it is worse though I think, that we don't even need to mix content from different systems or publishers for this.

Troacctid
2014-10-08, 09:18 AM
It doesn't work the way you want. If you read it carefully, it says you gain new spells per day as if you'd gained a level in the arcane spellcasting class and power points/access to new powers as if you'd gained a level in the psionic class. The latter simply does nothing; I don't have access to the archetype you're referring to, but if it has to prepare powers in spell slots and scribe them in a spellbook, power points and powers known are presumably inapplicable.

(Incidentally, I just noticed Cerebremancer doesn't advance spells known. Once again, Sorcerers get the short end of the stick.)

Xuldarinar
2014-10-08, 11:04 AM
It doesn't work the way you want. If you read it carefully, it says you gain new spells per day as if you'd gained a level in the arcane spellcasting class and power points/access to new powers as if you'd gained a level in the psionic class. The latter simply does nothing; I don't have access to the archetype you're referring to, but if it has to prepare powers in spell slots and scribe them in a spellbook, power points and powers known are presumably inapplicable.

(Incidentally, I just noticed Cerebremancer doesn't advance spells known. Once again, Sorcerers get the short end of the stick.)

Well, to give some information: They gain the ability to write down psion/wilder powers as well as sorcerer/wizard spells into their spell book. When manifesting powers they use spell slots, setting the power to the manifester level a wizard gains said spell slot, and they have power points to adjust the powers from there. For instance, if they prepare and manifest a psionic power using a 2nd level spell slot, it would be treated as having a manifester level of 3. They can also use power points (via wild talent as a bonus feat and bonus power points based on number of psionic feats taken) in addition to increase the power's manifester level. They can also leave spell slots unprepared and manifest powers they do have prepared using these empty spell slots to manifest powers at a higher level without using up the prepared power. Same scenario, if they left a 4th level spell slot open, they could use that to manifest the power with a manifester level of 7 and still have that power in the 2nd level spell slot waiting to be used. Power points are not based on level for the archetype, and powers known simply fall under spells known.

Troacctid
2014-10-08, 11:20 AM
Yep, sounds like no double dipping on the casting, then. Early entry should be on the table though, as long as the archetype is on the arcane side and not the psionic side.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-08, 11:27 AM
The capstone would let you nova like no other. You could get 5 casings out in a round, 1 spell, 1 power, 1 hustled power, 1 quickened spell, and 1 quickened power.