PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How would you build a Ninja/Stalker?

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-08, 09:57 AM
I'm loking into a Ninja/Stalker (PoW) build, and I don't know where to begin.
Where would you start building this class combo? What are some pitfalls to avoid?

stack
2014-10-08, 11:35 AM
To help clarify, what are you looking to get from ninja that stalker doesn't have or can't take without a dip?

My gut says ninja 0/stalker 20 would be best. Or get umbral blade in there.

Shinken
2014-10-08, 11:42 AM
The one reason I can see for Ninja/Stalker is the Cha focus, since Ninja makes ki Cha-based.
You're better off playing a Stalker and asking your DM to be Cha-based if that is your goal. I bet there is an upcoming archetype for that, anyway.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-08, 12:42 PM
Gotta agree with stack and Shinken, Stalker out ninjas ninjas in Pathfinder the same way Swordsage out ninjas ninjas in 3.5

The vanishing trick ninja trick could potentially be useful, but you can get that through the Stalker's Rogue Talent Stalker Art (take rogue talent stalker art, use rogue talent to take ninja trick, use ninja trick to qualify for vanishing trick since you have a Ki Pool from being a Stalker).

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-08, 01:04 PM
The main attraction was the Ninjas extra attack ki feature and Vanishing Trick, as well as adding both Charisma and Wisdom to the Ki-pool.

Shinken
2014-10-08, 01:32 PM
The main attraction was the Ninjas extra attack ki feature and Vanishing Trick, as well as adding both Charisma and Wisdom to the Ki-pool.

That's not how it works. You can't add two abilities to your ki pool. In fact, it says so right there in the Ninja class. :smallwink:

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-08, 01:33 PM
Well that sucked the point completely out of the idea. :P

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-08, 01:34 PM

Honestly, you won't need the extra attack very often. Initiators like the stalker don't rely on full attacks to anywhere near the degree that other martial classes do. The right strikes (and there are lots of them) will let you do more damage with a single attack than most people would do with their full attack, and you don't have to worry about missing anywhere near as much because you don't rely on iteratives to rack up the damage. There are plenty of maneuvers that let you make a full attack as a standard action as well, although most of them are in the Primal Fury discipline, which Stalkers don't natively get access to.

Unfortunately you can't stack ability modifiers on your Ki Pool. From the Ninja's Ki Pool:

If the ninja possesses levels in another class that grants points to a ki pool, ninja levels stack with the levels of that class to determine the total number of ki points in the combined pool, but only one ability score modifier is added to the total. The choice of which score to use is made when the second class ability is gained, and once made, the choice is set.

So really, the best thing for you is to just use Stalker and take a Stalker Art to get vanishing trick.

Shinken
2014-10-08, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately you can't stack ability modifiers on your Ki Pool.

You got ninja'd. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR68W56DCBU&list=TLouIDc7BkeuQfmzL5ZuCaDu2g9admH6-x)

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-08, 01:39 PM
I am officially abandoning this idea as unworkable. :smalltongue:

TheIronGolem
2014-10-08, 01:44 PM
Honestly, you won't need the extra attack very often. Initiators like the stalker don't rely on full attacks to anywhere near the degree that other martial classes do. The right strikes (and there are lots of them) will let you do more damage with a single attack than most people would do with their full attack, and you don't have to worry about missing anywhere near as much because you don't rely on iteratives to rack up the damage. There are plenty of maneuvers that let you make a full attack as a standard action as well, although most of them are in the Primal Fury discipline, which Stalkers don't natively get access to.

Additionally, Broken Blade Stance gives you an extra attack on any full attack, and is only 3rd level.

Elricaltovilla
2014-10-08, 01:52 PM
You got ninja'd. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR68W56DCBU&list=TLouIDc7BkeuQfmzL5ZuCaDu2g9admH6-x)

And? Am I supposed to acknowledge that your much shorter post took less time to write, thus being posted before I finished writing mine? Its not a race.

I am officially abandoning this idea as unworkable. :smalltongue:

It's not unworkable, it's just Stalker 20 FTW.

Shinken
2014-10-08, 02:05 PM
And? Am I supposed to acknowledge that your much shorter post took less time to write, thus being posted before I finished writing mine? Its not a race.

:smallconfused:
Just a joke, man. Chill.