PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What to do with a high level Witch?

Barstro
2014-10-08, 03:17 PM
The game I'm in will probably get my Witch to level 20. Witches, however, do not get a cool capstone at 20. They peak at 18 with Grand Hex and level 9 spells. Going to 19 and 20 will net me just another Grand Hex (nothing strikes my fancy) and a couple spells.

Are there any options better than taking the final two levels of Witch?

Psyren
2014-10-08, 04:26 PM
Well, those 2 levels also give you an extra +1 to your Hex save DCs, And even if you don't want two Grand Hexes (I personally would, i.e. Summon Spirit and the useful combat rez Life Giver), you can always pick a Major or normal Hex instead; in fact, if you have any Extra Hex feats, you can retrain one of them and pick that hex normally instead.

If you're intent on taking something else for those two levels anyway though, consider grarrrg's dipping handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-(mostly-Profit)), particularly the PrC section, and try to find things that will keep your CL at maximum.

grarrrg
2014-10-08, 07:33 PM
"What to do with a high level Witch?"
Well that's easy.
She's a Witch! Burn her!

If you're intent on taking something else for those two levels anyway though, consider grarrrg's dipping handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-(mostly-Profit)), particularly the PrC section, and try to find things that will keep your CL at maximum.

The 2nd post has some details on PrC's, but you're better off jumping to the 3rd post first to see what advances Arcane Casting without losing levels:
Arclord of Nex, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Bloatmage, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Cyphermage, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Diabolist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Envoy of Balance, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Genie Binder, 1/2 Bab, 5/5 Casting
Harrower, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Loremaster, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Magaambyan Arcanist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Spherewalker, 3/4 Bab, 5/5 Casting
Thuvian Alchemist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting
Veiled Illusionist, 1/2 Bab, 10/10 Casting

The main limit on PrCs tends to be Alignment/deity.
Also, depending on which-Witch, the Winter Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/winter-witch) is a very solid PrC (must be a Winter Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/winter-witch) to qualify). It does lose 1 caster level, but stacks 10/10 with everything else a Witch gets.

Barstro
2014-10-08, 09:57 PM
Exactly the two I would want to hear from.

I'd forgotten about the Hex saving throw. Reason enough to stay a witch. Summon Spirit is my choice for 18 and the resurrection hex (whatever the name is) is the only other that appeals to me.

Most of those other classes didn't appeal to me, but I think there were a few I hadn't looked at. I'll take another look. Winter Witch isn't an option, and is not thematic for the campaign I'm in.

For now, it appears that straight Witch is what I'll do.

Skysaber
2014-10-08, 10:02 PM
"What to do with a high level Witch?"
Well that's easy.
She's a Witch! Burn her!

I logged in to say exactly that.

Although you'd probably be better off taking 2 lvls of PrC, which one is largely up to taste.

grarrrg
2014-10-08, 10:17 PM
Exactly the two I would want to hear from.

Crud...seems I'm getting a reputation...

I logged in to say exactly that.

^ Got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

Psyren
2014-10-09, 01:19 AM
I'd forgotten about the Hex saving throw. Reason enough to stay a witch. Summon Spirit is my choice for 18 and the resurrection hex (whatever the name is) is the only other that appeals to me.

Those are the two I listed, yeah. I agree that the other GHs are pretty suck, but thankfully you only get two anyway.

Consider also the retraining idea in case you do have an Extra Hex or two knocking about.

Barstro
2014-10-09, 07:21 AM
Those are the two I listed, yeah. I agree that the other GHs are pretty suck, but thankfully you only get two anyway.

Consider also the retraining idea in case you do have an Extra Hex or two knocking about.

Well, Witch technically can take three with Extra Hex at 19, but that would be a waste (or prime roleplaying material).

Thanks for the input, everyone. With no obvious answer, I get to have fun researching.