PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock-specific spell list (at least levels 1 and 2)?

charlesk
2014-10-08, 04:10 PM
One thing I dislike about the new PHB is that it doesn't list in the spell descriptions which classes can use them. I'm making a char that will start as warlock and then swap to bard, so I want to make sure to thoroughly check out any of the spells that only warlocks get to consider taking before I multiclass. I will only have access to level 2 spells.

I know about EB (obviously) and Hex. Any others? Anyone compile a list? I searched but it's hard to find something like that with a keyword search.

Thanks!

Daishain
2014-10-08, 04:19 PM
Agreed, they should have listed that, for the moment, here.

http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/

Just select warlock and sort by level, you can then pick out those that are warlock only.

From the looks of it, they've got one cantrip (EB of course), four 1st level spells, and one 3rd level spell that are truly exclusive to them. there are however quite a few more that are on the warlock list, but not Bard.

The Dolman
2014-10-08, 04:19 PM
Does this help?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373569-Excel-Spell-Database

charlesk
2014-10-08, 04:24 PM
I knew this had to have been done. Thanks!

charlesk
2014-10-08, 04:31 PM
From the looks of it, they've got one cantrip (EB of course), four 1st level spells, and one 3rd level spell that are truly exclusive to them. there are however quite a few more that are on the warlock list, but not Bard.

Indeed. Going to be tough choices to be made.

We've been also told by the DM that we may not level up much for the next 2-3 months so it may be a while until I see 2nd level bard spells... it will be hard to resist taking something like Invisibility, due to how useful it is, but I really should check out the non-bard warlock spells first.

The multiclassing rules allow me to use my bard spells in warlock slots and vice-versa right? They added that special section, which makes it sound that way anyhow.

Thanks!

Cybren
2014-10-08, 04:38 PM
I actually made a google doc with every spell list hyperlinked to their corresponding spell descriptions. It's unfortunately the kind of tool I can't share given that it contains large chunks from the PHB.

charlesk
2014-10-08, 05:03 PM
Gotcha.

Hex... seems overpowered. Especially for a level 1 spell. I realize you do have to concentrate, and what that implies. It also only adds the damage to my own attacks.

Can it be transferred from one dead monster to another indefinitely for a whole combat?

WickerNipple
2014-10-08, 05:59 PM
Gotcha.
Can it be transferred from one dead monster to another indefinitely for a whole combat?

Much longer than a whole combat. There's no reason you can't keep concentrating on it for the entire spell duration.

Submortimer
2014-10-10, 06:21 AM

That's kinda the point of the spell, and it gets even better later on, as you can essentially keep it up all day long at later levels. Honestly, along with EB, I'm not totally certain they should have made this a spell and not just a class feature...I get that it has the whole "concentration" downside, but the potential for dip abuse is outstanding.

charlesk
2014-10-10, 06:49 AM
However I saw a ruling that you have to have someone to transfer it onto or it dissipates... that pretty much precludes using it all day. (Would you transfer it onto an ally? I suppose you could, there's nothing saying you can't. As a DM I personally would raise an eyebrow trying to use an already powerful spell like this.)

Daishain
2014-10-10, 06:58 AM
However I saw a ruling that you have to have someone to transfer it onto or it dissipates... that pretty much precludes using it all day. (Would you transfer it onto an ally? I suppose you could, there's nothing saying you can't. As a DM I personally would raise an eyebrow trying to use an already powerful spell like this.)
RAW, you can only transfer a Hex when the currently hexed target dies. So not really a good idea to preserve it via ally.

What you could do if your warlock is cruel enough, since the spell fails to specify the target, carry a bunch of mice with you, preserve the hex on one, and squish it when combat begins

Elbacone
2014-10-10, 07:46 AM
Haha brilliant, get a cat familiar and put the mouse in a cage with him, then when combat starts give a mental command to kill the mouse. Just remember to put a fresh mouse in the cage before your target drops to 0. At level 9 that would mean constant up time :)

charlesk
2014-10-10, 08:29 AM
Creative.. but, no. lol.

I think being able to "reuse" an already potent spell that's only level 1 for a whole combat is good enough! :)

rollingForInit
2014-10-10, 08:47 AM

That would completely defeat the point of it lasting for 24 hours at higher levels. And the spell also states that you can transfer it during a subsequent turn. If they had intended it to not be transferable between encounters, they would've typed "on your next turn".

I doubt they intended for people to use mice to carry a transferred spell between encounters.

WickerNipple
2014-10-10, 09:10 AM
However I saw a ruling that you have to have someone to transfer it onto or it dissipates... that pretty much precludes using it all day.

Where did you see this ruling?

Hex says "on a subsequent turn" duration "up to 24 hours".

There's no immediacy written in the spell rules. People just aren't reading it properly, assuming it works similarly to the earlier similar abilities/spells and then chafing against it when they find out it's different.

I get that it has the whole "concentration" downside, but the potential for dip abuse is outstanding.

Warlock is all about dip abuse. Hex / EB / Invocations are all fantastic incentives for a caster to sell their soul. :smallyuk: I love it.

charlesk
2014-10-10, 09:58 AM
Where did you see this ruling?

https://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/tag/hex/ -- at the bottom.

I don't know if that site is authoritative but I've seen it referenced here.

As for the longer durations, it could be used to pre-plan messing up some bad guy's plans by forcing him to roll disadvantage at some time in the future or whatnot. I do see the other argument, and the longer durations are of limited value anyway because of the concentration requirement.

WickerNipple
2014-10-10, 10:48 AM
Heh, weird. He rules 3 different ways in those tweets.

charlesk
2014-10-10, 11:02 AM
Yeah you're right, it's weird.

I guess, as usual: "up to the DM". :)