PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Erudite help

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-08, 05:01 PM
Since there isn't much of a resource on Erudites (as they're often seen as StP, Arcane fusion Goooooooooo).
Does anyone have a handbook or some other useful resources with which to build one?

like what are some good feats and the like.
Tricks, etc.
Assuming that Powers/day is the number listed on the table (Since having 11 power per power level at lvl 20 would seem... welll... broken... 81 powers each day? uhh.... ) so I would get 11 powers/day, do I have to choose them when I wake up like wizards?

Also, I've read some threads about using a psionic version of sanctum spell and other metamagic feats, how is this achieved?

Also, given the fact that the Erudite (StP) wont be cheesed out, Is it still better than a normal psion? (I.E wont use any of the Arcane fusion infinity combos)

Troacctid
2014-10-08, 05:08 PM
so I would get 11 powers/day, do I have to choose them when I wake up like wizards?

You do not. You get to start with all your powers available and gradually become less flexible over the course of the day.

Ansem
2014-10-08, 05:52 PM
Use the original table, makes much more sense.
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/psion/erudite.shtml

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-08, 05:59 PM

Wow, I didn't know that existed. This makes the non-StP Erudite playable! Thanks! Otherwise, you either have 11 unique powers/day (overly limited) or 11 unique powers per level per day (borked).

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-08, 09:41 PM

DM is specific on me using the 11 (total) spells per day.

Nettlekid
2014-10-08, 10:17 PM
DM is specific on me using the 11 (total) spells per day.

That's fine if you're starting at high level. The power Soul Crystal from Magic of Incarnum is a 7th level power which lets you spend up to 2*ML (independently of manifesting the power) to fill up a crystal with those power points and one power that you know. Basically you pay 13+up to 2*ML PP to get a temporary power stone (lasts 1 hour/level) whose power you can use as many times as the spent PP allows. This means that if you use a few other powers per day on PP recharge methods (Bestow Power and Affinity Field works well, or just a cheapened Bestow Power) then all your many utility powers like buffs, teleports, even blasting can be done out of these Soul Crystals, which aren't drawn from your unique powers per day (apart from the one you're spending on Soul Crystal.)

EDIT: Also, of COURSE Erudite is better than a normal Psion, even if you aren't using StP (but obviously yes if you are.) I find the biggest StP use (apart from the obviously broken stuff) is the free material components. Now Forcecage, Stoneskin, and Antimagic Ray don't break the bank and become a lot more viable. If you can manage to get divine spells on your list (get it from a Wyrm Wizard or Recaster) you can churn out Revivifies and Resurrections for free, which has a lot of fun RP potential if you want to play a god. But even without StP, you get as many powers as a Psion if you don't learn a single one with your learning ability, and many more if you do. The UPD limitation is troublesome, but not too hard to work around.

D4rkh0rus
2014-10-08, 10:34 PM
That's fine if you're starting at high level. The power Soul Crystal from Magic of Incarnum is a 7th level power which lets you spend up to 2*ML (independently of manifesting the power) to fill up a crystal with those power points and one power that you know. Basically you pay 13+up to 2*ML PP to get a temporary power stone (lasts 1 hour/level) whose power you can use as many times as the spent PP allows. This means that if you use a few other powers per day on PP recharge methods (Bestow Power and Affinity Field works well, or just a cheapened Bestow Power) then all your many utility powers like buffs, teleports, even blasting can be done out of these Soul Crystals, which aren't drawn from your unique powers per day (apart from the one you're spending on Soul Crystal.)

EDIT: Also, of COURSE Erudite is better than a normal Psion, even if you aren't using StP (but obviously yes if you are.) I find the biggest StP use (apart from the obviously broken stuff) is the free material components. Now Forcecage, Stoneskin, and Antimagic Ray don't break the bank and become a lot more viable. If you can manage to get divine spells on your list (get it from a Wyrm Wizard or Recaster) you can churn out Revivifies and Resurrections for free, which has a lot of fun RP potential if you want to play a god. But even without StP, you get as many powers as a Psion if you don't learn a single one with your learning ability, and many more if you do. The UPD limitation is troublesome, but not too hard to work around.

I see...

One thing That i've read often is the whole Linked power/Psionic Sanctum spell stuff.... How does one reliably apply Linked power to a power?
It says that you need to use up your focus, so what methods are there to remove that need to shorten it? (I know of Psionic meditation for move action focus, but what else is there?)

Nettlekid
2014-10-08, 10:54 PM
I see...

One thing That i've read often is the whole Linked power/Psionic Sanctum spell stuff.... How does one reliably apply Linked power to a power?
It says that you need to use up your focus, so what methods are there to remove that need to shorten it? (I know of Psionic meditation for move action focus, but what else is there?)

I don't know how Sanctum Spell helps anything, but yeah, Linked Power is also handy. Although, a DM who's a real stickler might say that because that feat states that you need not spend any power points or actions to manifest the second power, it's still YOU that is manifesting the power and so it counts against your UPD. Arguable, not airtight, but not full of holes either.

Psionic Meditation's all you need. If you just want to cheat the UPD, manifesting Synchronicity Linked to whatever other power you want means you can use the action granted by Synchronicity to restore your Psionic Focus while still manifesting that other power with no actions next round. Keep in mind, Linked Power states that the power being linked affects the same target/area as the power you used this round, so in that above example the power you link will affect you.