PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Being Zarus

Val666
2014-10-08, 05:12 PM
Hello guys.

Recently I started palying a campaign with a godless Cleric (the build was made here :v) and I've decided that my goal is become what the entity of Zarus means (the character name is Zarus). So Im asking a little help with tips on how to roleplay this type of character. Thanks everyone (:

shadow_archmagi
2014-10-08, 05:15 PM
Watch some Picard speeches, naturally.

Snowbluff
2014-10-08, 05:19 PM

I think this would work.

Also, we should use the :v emote more.

malonkey1
2014-10-08, 07:22 PM

We thinkin' of the same Zarus here? You know, Zarus, Lawful-Evil deity of humanity who's pretty big on racial cleansing?

Val666
2014-10-08, 08:18 PM
I know Zarus as Hitler of humanity :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2014-10-08, 08:26 PM
We thinkin' of the same Zarus here? You know, Zarus, Lawful-Evil deity of humanity who's pretty big on racial cleansing?

Being evil does not preclude diplomacy, the moral high ground, or the ability to make speeches. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2014-10-08, 08:37 PM

Star Trek is pretty "Humanity, **** YEAH!" Especially TOS and early TNG, IIRC.

And Zarus only became big on racial cleansing after he got betrayed and killed, before then he was apparently pretty chill, just awesome, right? So this guy just wants to be the perfect human and a paragon of human superiority. I think? :smallconfused:

Red Fel
2014-10-08, 08:44 PM
Being evil does not preclude diplomacy, the moral high ground, or the ability to make speeches. :smalltongue:

Being evil, no. But being Zarus?

Zarus is definitely the type to claim the moral high ground, and definitely the sort to have speeches. (And rallies, often involving identical-looking followers in uniforms marching in jackboots and...)

But diplomacy is not entirely his thing, and for very simple reason: f you are a human, Zarus considers you his, and wants to save you, whether you want him to or not. If you aren't human, Zarus doesn't consider you a person. He considers you, at best, a loathsome, verminous infestation; at worst, an active malevolence. You don't negotiate with cockroaches or ebola, and Zarus doesn't engage in diplomacy with non-humans.

That's not to say his followers aren't diplomatic. Just not with non-humans. With humans, they're glowing, charismatic paragons of charm, presence, and physical perfection.

Still... Picard? Really? I mean, yeah, he talks up the potential and greatness of humans (particularly when dealing with Q) but he does so without claiming superiority. He's humble in its exaltation of humanity, not arrogant. Picard is the sort of person who could talk the Klingons into sitting down at a peace negotiation. Zarus is the sort who would incite them into combat, slaughter them gleefully, then proclaim to the rest of the universe, "You're next."

Val666
2014-10-12, 05:06 PM
Zarus is the sort who would incite them into combat, slaughter them gleefully, then proclaim to the rest of the universe, "You're next."

Oh I will use that...

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-12, 05:19 PM
Neither Picard nor Kirk might be Zarus, but some of the episodes are probably written badly enough you could steal speeches with a bit of tweaking. Don't get me wrong, I love TNG, but some episodes from the earlier seasons were a bit...Much.

Or some of the stranger Voyager episodes, but that involves watching Voyager, which is a punishment only fit for non-humans.

Tommy2255
2014-10-12, 07:03 PM
Try going to reddit.com/r/HFY and reading some of the stories there (HFY is Humanity **** Yeah). I'm currently running a campaign that gives a rather sympathetic view of Zarus (yeah he's evil, but you'd be a bit pissy too after getting poisoned at your wedding). The first day our cleric of Zarus showed up, I mentioned that subreddit, and it turns out he's subscribed too. Apparently reading that sub just magically makes you more forgiving of the whole "slaughter and enslavement of nonhumans" thing and more understanding of where Zarus is coming from.

Val666
2014-10-12, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I'll check that link later! Well..the reason of this thread was to learn how Zarus would develop when he was not a god and after his "ascended". I got pretty cool ideas of that now thanks to all of you. Since Im Zarus pre-godhood, Im just doing chill, calculating stuff. The gods in this campaign where overthrown by our last adventure characters Dx and minor cults still worship them. It's like inquisition against the religion.

:v

Coidzor
2014-10-12, 10:57 PM
...I had the weridest thought of a "When I'm Zarus" and/or "When I'm Pelor" and poassibly a "When I'm Praise the Sun" equivalent to those "When I'm Nigel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rjLVbF3YNY)" Videos.

Not sure why. :smallconfused:

Neither Picard nor Kirk might be Zarus, but some of the episodes are probably written badly enough you could steal speeches with a bit of tweaking. Don't get me wrong, I love TNG, but some episodes from the earlier seasons were a bit...Much.

Or some of the stranger Voyager episodes, but that involves watching Voyager, which is a punishment only fit for non-humans.

Klingons do apparently like to Experience Bij (http://blip.tv/the-spoony-experiment/experience-bij-episode-1-4616720), after all.