PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Adding enhancements to wondrous items

dropklik
2014-10-08, 06:41 PM
I'm having trouble finding the rules on how to add enhancements to pre-existing magic items.
For example:
Is it possible for me to add a strength bonus(like that on the belt of giant strength) to a belt of battle?
If so what books would I be able to find the rules in for this. Is there any extra cost associated with doing something like this or would I just add the cost of the two together?

Red Fel
2014-10-08, 06:51 PM
I'm having trouble finding the rules on how to add enhancements to pre-existing magic items.
For example:
Is it possible for me to add a strength bonus(like that on the belt of giant strength) to a belt of battle?
If so what books would I be able to find the rules in for this. Is there any extra cost associated with doing something like this or would I just add the cost of the two together?

This is a good place to start (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities):
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.

If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Basically, if you wanted to add a Belt of Giant Strength to a Belt of Battle, the cost would be that of Belt of Giant Strength times 1.5. A +4 Belt of Giant Strength costs 16,000 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltofGiantStrength), so adding that +4 Str to a Belt of Battle would cost 24,000 gp.

Vhaidara
2014-10-08, 06:55 PM
Basically, if you wanted to add a Belt of Giant Strength to a Belt of Battle, the cost would be that of Belt of Giant Strength times 1.5. A +4 Belt of Giant Strength costs 16,000 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltofGiantStrength), so adding that +4 Str to a Belt of Battle would cost 24,000 gp.

Actually, IIRC, the Magic Item Compendium modified that rule so that enhancement bonuses didn't get multiplied. So adding +4 Str to Belt of Battle would only be 16k. No page citation though, this is just a rule I've heard about.

Psyren
2014-10-08, 06:57 PM
While Red Fel's response is generally correct, the cost increase does not always apply. See the table in MiC 233, "Adding Common Item Effects to Existing Items."

On that table, because Belt of Battle is a wait slot item, adding strength to it is cheaper than it is using the DMG calculation. It would cost 4000 (0 -> +2 Str) + 12,000 (+2 -> +4) for a total of 16,000, rather than 24,000. Note that this is the same as calculating the +4 Str without the 1.5x increase.

Psyrogue'd, but I had the page number :smallsmile: