PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Feats for a Snakebite Striker?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-08, 08:43 PM
Exactly what the title says. I'm building a Brawler (Snakebite Striker), and want to know if the following progression would be, if not necessarily high-op, at least effective for an unarmed combatant. I also am unsure about what two of my last three feats should be; any suggestions are welcome. By that point I've used up most of the good feats that don't require Weapon Focus or Dodge/Mobility.

Race: Half-Orc (+5 to all unarmed damage rolls? Yes please)
Traits: Excitable (who doesn't like a good Initiative bonus), Bruising Intellect (to get Intimidate back in-class, and so I can dump Charisma)
Feats:
1st: Combat Reflexes (more AoOs = good)
2nd: Combat Expertise (sigh... feat tax)
3rd: Improved Feint (to take advantage of Snakebite Striker's feint-related abilities)
4th:
5th: Feinting Flurry (moar feints), Power Attack (moar damage)
6th:
7th: Pummeling Style (overcoming DR, better criticals, awesome with the Called Shots)
8th: Greater Feint (now all of my attacks can deal SA damage!)
9th: Cornugon Smash (because easy demoralizing = good; I wouldn't even need to PA for more than -1 to use this)
10th:
11th: Death or Glory (by this point I'll probably be fighting lots of big enemies), Stunning Fist (why not? more ways to get SA damage)
12th:
13th: Pummeling Style (pounce, but better)
14th: Jabbing Style (extra damage)
15th: Improved Initiative (speaks for itself)
16th:
17th: Precise Strike (moar precision damage), not sure what the other feat should be
18th:
19th: not sure what feat this should be
20th: Dastardly Finish (now that I have SA +5d6, let's get some insta-kills)
Skills: Max ranks in Perception, Bluff, Intimidate, and Acrobatics; also max ranks in Stealth if I have the spare ability points for a 12 in Int.

Any advice regarding the build would be very appreciated.

grarrrg
2014-10-08, 09:52 PM
Race: Half-Orc (+5 to all unarmed damage rolls? Yes please)

(to paraphrase a quote:)
I do not think it does what you think it does.

"Add 1/4 to the brawler's effective level to determine her unarmed strike damage"

For every 4 levels of Brawler taken, you can count as 1 level higher on the Unarmed Damage table for Brawlers.
So you'd get the level 8 increase at level 7, the level 12 increase at level 10, etc...
Which is all well and good.

The problem is that the Unarmed Damage STOPS at level 20. There is nothing published that says what to do after level 20, therefore you are stuck at 2d10 at level 16 and on.

On the bright side, this DOES combo nicely with Close Weapon Mastery, essentially negating the penalty.
The other option is to work with your DM and see if he'll 'extend the progression' (4d6 at level 24 seems the logical next step).

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-08, 10:39 PM
(to paraphrase a quote:)
I do not think it does what you think it does.

"Add 1/4 to the brawler's effective level to determine her unarmed strike damage"

For every 4 levels of Brawler taken, you can count as 1 level higher on the Unarmed Damage table for Brawlers.
So you'd get the level 8 increase at level 7, the level 12 increase at level 10, etc...
Which is all well and good.

The problem is that the Unarmed Damage STOPS at level 20. There is nothing published that says what to do after level 20, therefore you are stuck at 2d10 at level 16 and on.

On the bright side, this DOES combo nicely with Close Weapon Mastery, essentially negating the penalty.
The other option is to work with your DM and see if he'll 'extend the progression' (4d6 at level 24 seems the logical next step).

Hm, thank you for pointing that out. I read that as "add 1/4 to the brawler's unarmed strike damage" for some reason. I'll have to ask the DM, because getting a 4d6 unarmed strike would be nice.