PDA

View Full Version : EMPIRE! South Sea Conference, Year 456

QuintonBeck
2014-10-08, 10:13 PM
The South Sea Conference
-Summer of 456, in the City of Marama, Broken Enclave-

Useful links for myself and guests.

Broken Enclave writeup (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17523746&postcount=519)

Isles of Tepeti (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18193179&postcount=1101)

Sanglea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17634835&postcount=23)

I was thinking a slightly logical retcon considering Tepeti's writeup would be to consider Sangleans also to be Spriggans. Their physical features seem largely irrelevant other than height and a plant race respecting tallness so much as to make it their governing basis makes more sense to me than a human culture doing so. As such I will be referring to them as if they were such from here on.

Queen Nui fidgeted nervously in her throne. She hated all this pomp and circumstance, getting all dressed up and forced to sit in the Queen's Seat formed by a crux of many limbs of the Great Knot which was decidedly less comfortable than a conventional chair. Add on to that that she would be meeting with the great Carmine Kingdom and her neighbors the Sangleans for the first time in years and it all made her incredibly nervous. Her courtiers had also reported that they had sent envoys to the "Nix" who were apparently an undersea race living outside Tepeti which had piqued her curiosity but also added another delegation she would have to try and impress.

Beside her the High Chamberlain of Tepeti stood stoically. The northern Spriggan was a somewhat grim man who seemed as displeased by the fanfare as Nui did though for entirely different reasons. He had made it quite clear earlier in the week that he believed it to be necessary that the Queen focus on internal affairs, namely the protection of the City of the Gods in Tepti and the Sky Beneath in the Enclave that were believed to be one in the same and less on the whims and happenings of the outside world. He had only been silenced by the proposition that the Sanglean delegation might be willing to discuss having an expedition sent to their lower lands to see whether or not the mysterious underwater ruins of the Enclave and Tepeti were connected.

She looked around at the open air banquet hall, if it could be called a hall, that she sat at the end of and took a deep breath of the sweet air. All around Spriggans danced about, attending to tables filled with refreshments and drinks and hanging bright silk streamers from the branches that hung low enough to be reached. Soon enough their guests would arrive and the new Queen would need to demonstrate her ability to navigate the wider world.

High Priest Iluthar arrived at the Enclave's banquet in a quiet fashion. Well, quiet other than the clicking of his two foot stilts upon the boardwalks that connected the southern island chain's land masses. It would be a great sullying were his feet to touch the ground, even more if it was foreign ground but he had not wished to tower too tall in the lands of strangers leading to his election of the shortest acceptable stilts available. The Rising Ceremony was currently in progress back in Sanglea but it would be another week before any competitor reached a position even resembling the height of a potential winner and thus the trip to the southern nation had been deemed acceptable by the priesthood.

The Sangleans by and large ignored their fellow Spriggan neighbors being as they so often sailed beneath the Towers where the Sanglean made their homes but recently discussion had flared up of spreading the doctrine of the Rism to their close neighbors and when the Queen Nui sent her invitation it was taken as a perfect opportunity to set up just that.

As he made his way deeper into the Enclave the High Priest looked about, he had heard the other close neighbors of the island chains had been invited and he was curious to see who all had elected to show.

Aedilred
2014-10-09, 01:42 PM
Alfmark had been glad to receive the invitation from Queen Nui, for his missives to the island kingdoms had gone unanswered for too long. He arrived on the Qzare Xiu Wandao in good time, though had to make the rest of the way to Marama on smaller boats or effectively on foot. As usual, he had put significant thought into his wardrobe for the occasion, wanting to do justice to his station, but at the same time not wishing to project too much of an imperialist image. As such he forwent cloth-of-gold for his doublet, opting instead for black silk with delicate gold thread embroidery, over a crimson tunic, with black breeches, a gold baldric to carry his sword, and the whole surmounted by a crimson and purple houppelland with silver and golden embroidery and a fur lining. Atop his head he wore, as was increasingly becoming customary, his usual orichalcum circlet.

With him came representatives from across the kingdom, each eager to see the islands to their south or east in person: Valéria, the dowager Earlswuif of Jatham; his cousin Elwyr; ireiarchon Neralla, with whom it was rumoured Elwyr was at last considering marriage after many years of bachelorhood; and a handful of lesser lords of Farridon and the southern elves.

He looked around as he entered the banqueting hall, trying to identify his host. Nui had attended his wedding, he recalled, but that had been many years ago and he did not remember speaking to her.

QuintonBeck
2014-10-09, 09:47 PM
A spriggan dressed in a simple but beutifully crafted silk vest and pantaloons approached the Carmine delegation.

"Your Majesty, it is an honor that you have chosen to attend. I am certain Her Grace would wish to thank you. If you would follow me?" the spriggan lead the Jarrow king to the far end of the open aired hall where a tall, striking spriggan with bright, almost luminescent, eyes sat waiting.

Standing in front of her was a Sanglean spriggan, his stilts making him appear nearly ten feet tall. The Queen's gaze must have alerted him of an approaching guest and he stepped aside respectfully as the Carmine King reached the throne.

A smile crossed the young Queen's woody face, "Greetings King Alfmark, it pleases me greatly that you elected to attend this small Conference. It has been an aching amount of years since we of the Enclave have talked with yours or any outside our realm. I am glad to see we have not been completely forgotten.

"Please, allow me to formally welcome you to Marama, and to introduce our other guest. High Priest Iluthar of Sanglea," the stilted Spriggan bowed lightly though even bent he continued to tower above the Carmine King and the seated Enclave Queen.

"We were just discussing the current succession of Sanglea, it seems the High Priest here suspects a woman to ascend to Kingship this year. I'm of the mind that one should adopt the title Queen in such a circumstance but the language of the Sangleans is old and not easily changed."

"The terms are equivalent. There is no need for overcomplication," the High Priest spoke, his voice quiet but strong, "Greetings to you King Alfmark. I do not believe we of Sanglea have had the pleasure of meeting with your Kingdom. King Rancks had documents regarding you but many of the words of the Grounded King were lost in his unfortunate accident so I am afraid we meet this day as perfect strangers."

Aedilred
2014-10-12, 10:47 AM
"The pleasure is mutual, and I am glad to set foot on these islands at last," Alfmark replied. "It has been many years since our letters to the Broken Enclave and to Sanglea began to be returned unopened and we had been concerned that your kingdoms had sealed themselves off from the outside world.

"The question of titles is an interesting one, in its way," he observed. "My cousin Ghalle of Glazfell uses the style of King, and I likewise believe in the lands of Bordeux far to the west female rulers adopt the title of Lord. Yet in my wife's land of Eyrecradia and indeed in the Broken Enclave, of course-" he nodded to Nui -"it is common practice for a female sovereign to be styled Queen regnant. So there would be an international precedent for whichever the new ruler of Sanglea, if they are indeed a woman, chose to use.

"I myself tend towards the High Priest's view that the titles are equivalent and thus whatever is most appropriate in the local language should be used. There is little need to devise a new title where an existing one will serve, but equally if one exists there is no sense in neglecting it. I suspect however that my opinion is that of a pragmatist rather than a lawyer: I am sure the more pedantic of that breed would insist that any laws and charters making reference to a King refer to kings only and if a woman succeeds they must adopt that title to assume like authority. I admit I have little patience with that sort of thing."

(OOC: So guess which thread I forgot to subscribe to? :smallsigh: I have rectified this.)

QuintonBeck
2014-10-12, 04:15 PM
OOC: I just figured you weren't interested :smallwink:

Queen Nui looked pained for a moment, "I do apologize for the lack of discussion with you and yours King Alfmark, internal matters saw a reduction in accessibility to the Queen, though that has now been rectified."

"I must admit my own distaste for pedantry, though it is true that languages should be respected in the international trade tongue it seems adopting a different word more appropriately descriptive of the station when the word is already foreign to the native tongue is not too great a breach. Alas."

"Hmph," the High Priest said, though he didn't seem offended so much as curious regarding the Queen Nui's opinions, "Perhaps should you become King of Sanglea you might change the tradition."

Queen Nui smiled, "Would you stop it? This Sanglean has been harassing me since he arrived King Alfmark. He compliments my height while sitting, speaks of a woman King in Sanglea, and now he suggests I attempt their Tower Trial. If I didn't know better I might say our High Priest were trying to flatter me."

The High Priest's face remained stoic, "An attempt to lure you to my homelands? Why would you suspect that of me Your Grace?"

The Queen shook her head, "Do you see King Alfmark? Harassment," her words spoke one direction but her tone suggested a playful, dare on even say, flirtatious undertone regarding the High Priest and while the Sanglean was harder to read it seemed perhaps the feelings were mutual.

Aedilred
2014-10-12, 07:31 PM
"I have no doubt a woman is capable of reaching a higher point than any before her. Indeed, I have one in my entourage I should venture is capable of reaching the peak, if it is not considered against the rules to do so by wing. I suppose however that would present a quandary as to how to select the following ruler, if there were no way to overtop the previous mark?

"If your experiences with the High Priest's flattery have given you any expertise in dealing with priests in general, however, my lady, I should appreciate your wisdom. I have recently assumed the crown of the distant land of Eyrecradia and that task has not been made easier by the bevy of would-be theocrats falling over each other to gain my favour. I have no wonder the Mormaer began to neglect the place, if this is how it was for him." He gave a slight smile, suggesting he was not entirely serious, although if Nui and Iluthar had any knowledge of the Carmine constitution they would know the clergy had a very minimal role within it.

QuintonBeck
2014-10-12, 09:31 PM
"I have no doubt a woman is capable of reaching a higher point than any before her. Indeed, I have one in my entourage I should venture is capable of reaching the peak, if it is not considered against the rules to do so by wing. I suppose however that would present a quandary as to how to select the following ruler, if there were no way to overtop the previous mark?

"If your experiences with the High Priest's flattery have given you any expertise in dealing with priests in general, however, my lady, I should appreciate your wisdom. I have recently assumed the crown of the distant land of Eyrecradia and that task has not been made easier by the bevy of would-be theocrats falling over each other to gain my favour. I have no wonder the Mormaer began to neglect the place, if this is how it was for him." He gave a slight smile, suggesting he was not entirely serious, although if Nui and Iluthar had any knowledge of the Carmine constitution they would know the clergy had a very minimal role within it.

"I'm afraid I don't follow," the High Priest said at Alfmark's remark regarding his winged retinue, "The peak is unknown to us, the towers pierce the very mists of the far sky. I cannot fathom how one could reach a the end, if such even exists."*

"You know, I think the High Priest is simply attempting to distract us from the fact that the Priesthood did not yet address the flying abilities of others."

"That is untrue, after Rancks we have made it clear one must ascend the interior and one must do it without tools. A flying mount would certainly qualify as a tool."

"More of that Sanglean language, a mount becomes a tool so easily."

"I only wish I had an answer for you King Alfmark, the High Priest has only been an additional echo on top of the Tepeti Chamberlains. Though the High Priest certainly possesses a bit more charm than our northern cousins."

*The fluff says they're possibly infinitely high. Hey, I didn't write it.

Aedilred
2014-10-13, 08:16 PM
"That is untrue, after Rancks we have made it clear one must ascend the interior and one must do it without tools. A flying mount would certainly qualify as a tool."

"More of that Sanglean language, a mount becomes a tool so easily."

"I only wish I had an answer for you King Alfmark, the High Priest has only been an additional echo on top of the Tepeti Chamberlains. Though the High Priest certainly possesses a bit more charm than our northern cousins.".

"A mount, perhaps," Alfmark acknowledged, "though I should warn you about referring to the huma as 'tools' within earshot of Lady Neralla, but what of an individual who themselves was winged? Would they not be able to use their own attributes to ascend?"

QuintonBeck
2014-10-13, 08:29 PM
"A mount, perhaps," Alfmark acknowledged, "though I should warn you about referring to the huma as 'tools' within earshot of Lady Neralla, but what of an individual who themselves was winged? Would they not be able to use their own attributes to ascend?"

The Priest seemed flustered, "What? A winged individual? But that's not- Hmm, I confess I don't rightly know King Alfmark."

"The Arpied King Alfmark? That would be a sight!" the Queen laughed, "I've heard stories of the mountain people of Carmine and their unique ability. I think it would certainly throw our good High Priest for a loop."

The High Priest looked decidedly less amused than the Queen.

Aedilred
2014-10-13, 08:38 PM
The Priest seemed flustered, "What? A winged individual? But that's not- Hmm, I confess I don't rightly know King Alfmark."

"The Arpied King Alfmark? That would be a sight!" the Queen laughed, "I've heard stories of the mountain people of Carmine and their unique ability. I think it would certainly throw our good High Priest for a loop."

The High Priest looked decidedly less amused than the Queen.

"Perhaps I should have brought some of our winged people along to demonstrate. They are used to navigating winds among the high peaks and their wings are natural extensions of their bodies. I daresay in due course you shall see some of them, though be warned, while they might look like dumb brutes they are fully sentient and most of them can now understand the trade tongue." He clapped the High Priest on the shoulder. "All the same, you need not fear, your Excellency, I shall not let slip to the chieftain of the potential opportunity that awaits in Sanglea, at least not any time soon. It might be advisable however to clarify that technicality up before the next choosing, otherwise you might find a swarm of eager Arpied looking to claim the kingship for themselves. Nor are the Arpied the only people who possess the ability to fly: the angels and Kroi of Salteire and Galardoth are also winged, as are the Cloudiz, though I believe few others fly at such altitude or with such elegance as do the Arpied."

QuintonBeck
2014-10-13, 08:49 PM
"Perhaps I should have brought some of our winged people along to demonstrate. They are used to navigating winds among the high peaks and their wings are natural extensions of their bodies. I daresay in due course you shall see some of them, though be warned, while they might look like dumb brutes they are fully sentient and most of them can now understand the trade tongue." He clapped the High Priest on the shoulder. "All the same, you need not fear, your Excellency, I shall not let slip to the chieftain of the potential opportunity that awaits in Sanglea, at least not any time soon. It might be advisable however to clarify that technicality up before the next choosing, otherwise you might find a swarm of eager Arpied looking to claim the kingship for themselves. Nor are the Arpied the only people who possess the ability to fly: the angels and Kroi of Salteire and Galardoth are also winged, as are the Cloudiz, though I believe few others fly at such altitude or with such elegance as do the Arpied."

The High Priest looked down at the King and let out a breath.

"Things didn't used to need so many technical adjustments," he breathed quietly.

"Well enough debating the questionable inheritance practices of the Sangleans," the Queen smiled, "Let us move to the banquet table that we might enjoy a feast. It is unfortunate the Nix elected not to show. I had hoped to speak with them about possibly exploring the Sky Beneath."

Do you want to make some sort of vassalage offer? My idea was to have Queen Nui ask Alfmark to get an Arpied to fly her to up Sanglea's towers along with marrying the High Priest and her in exchange for signing over the current BE plus Sanglea as a soon to be region of the Kingdom over in a treaty of vassalage but that seems in poor taste now.

Aedilred
2014-10-13, 09:40 PM
The High Priest looked down at the King and let out a breath.

"Things didn't used to need so many technical adjustments," he breathed quietly.

"Well enough debating the questionable inheritance practices of the Sangleans," the Queen smiled, "Let us move to the banquet table that we might enjoy a feast. It is unfortunate the Nix elected not to show. I had hoped to speak with them about possibly exploring the Sky Beneath."

Do you want to make some sort of vassalage offer? My idea was to have Queen Nui ask Alfmark to get an Arpied to fly her to up Sanglea's towers along with marrying the High Priest and her in exchange for signing over the current BE plus Sanglea as a soon to be region of the Kingdom over in a treaty of vassalage but that seems in poor taste now.

Haha, whoops! Yeah, I'll suggest we timeskip that conversation until after the feast.

"It is indeed a shame the Nix could not attend," Alfmark acknowledged. "Unfortunately they can be a difficult people to contact: even their trading post is often left abandoned for weeks at a time. They are slow to trust, I think, and while I am privileged to enjoy some of that trust, I think it is one they are reluctant to extend to others too frequently."

*Later*

"As you might be aware, my lady, your excellency, my predecessor had some twenty years or so ago been in discussion with Queen Mellado and King Rancks about a mutually beneficial arrangement between our crowns. Unfortunately events somewhat overtook that and the various plans had to be laid aside, but with the reopening of contact between our peoples this seems as good an opportunity as any to re-table the conversation. If you will permit me."

He beckoned forward a retainer and took from him a large rolled papyrus scroll which he proceeded to unroll, revealing a map of the Carmine Sea.

"As you are no doubt aware, my crown controls all the coast from here-" he traced a line from the Jarrland-Requiem border - "to here-" he paused at the Tuhiland border- "and we are making progress on securing the mainland east of there. Our western frontier is guarded by mountains, frozen lakes and the armies of our allies. Our east is guarded by the islands of your kingdoms."

He paused for a moment. "Of course there is an obvious flaw in this arrangement as it currently stands, inasmuch as it is an arrangement at all. There is no muutal defensive pact between our kingdoms, and yet your islands stand directly in the path of any seaborne invaders from the east. I am glad that you have had no need of your armies, but the Tzaltec are raiders and slavers with whom tensions are rising, and the men of Guilder are never shy to extend their own reach. Indeed, your excellency, I believe the Guilderenes are some of the few who still visit your kingdom regularly, with an eye for a profit wherever they can find it. It has long been a fear in my kingdom that the islands will be invaded and used as a staging-post for attack on the mainland, and their strategic desirability means that this is a prospect that might well concern you too.

"In all honesty I am somewhat embarrassed that this situation should have persisted for so long. The islands of Tepetl are almost close enough to be visible from the Jarrland coast and yet contact has been minimal, and perishingly little discussion has happened on the subject. I should then first propose a defensive alliance, so that if the islands come under attack or encounter difficulties, Carmine troops will stand ready to defend them, and for the sake of my own people, should invaders approach by boat with evil intent they will be stopped by the islander navies.

"However - and this is the precise matter under discussion with your predecessors - I wonder if we could not do a little better than that. Your people have been cut off from the world for many years, with development and prosperity passing them by. I mean your predecessors no disrespect in saying so: were it not for the guiding hand of the Imperium, my own kingdom would likely have remained small and backward, and your peoples are to be commended in having come as far as they have.

"My proposal, then, would be an agreement of vassalage in which your kingdoms become part of the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea, while retaining all traditional rights, privileges and dignities, of course. In exchange for your loyalty and a few trade options, I should assist you in colonising the islands south of the Broken Enclave and establishing your rule there-" he pointed to them on the map- "make available to you the technologies of my people and the expertise of my advisors and counsellors in your own governments should you desire or require it, in addition of course to the promise of defence should the islands come under attack which I would propose in any case."

QuintonBeck
2014-10-13, 09:59 PM
OOC: I know you assumed talking to both of them at the same time but they're separate realms and I can't play fetch quest between them if I make it too easy on you to talk to them both at the same time.

"I had read my mother's writings on the subject and am glad to discuss them now. As a matter of point I planned to speak with you about them myself so you've saved me the efforts. I am well aware of the practices of the Tzaltec and find them disturbing and, as you say, threatening to my people. To a pact of mutual defense I have absolutely no objection."

"As to vassalage," she paused, "The offer you have made is a good one, and one I would accept but for one splinter that pricks me. Sanglea. Our neighbors have never been anything but accommodating, mostly ignoring the ferries between the Enclave and the Isles but I must admit that their wedging in as separation between the holdings of my Crown bothers me to some degree. Even more if my realm were to expand southward and become embroiled in international politics to which they were immune."

"I had discussed with the High Priest earlier in the evening some of these concerns, though in such terms as to hopefully not raise alarm as I certainly do not desire war to spring up between our people, but if I were to accept vassalage it would be under a provision that Sanglea accept the same and furthermore that they submit themselves to my Crown which would in turn submit itself to your own."

"Of course, doing so without alarming the Sanglean people seems to me a difficult objective."

Aedilred
2014-10-13, 10:06 PM
"I had discussed with the High Priest earlier in the evening some of these concerns, though in such terms as to hopefully not raise alarm as I certainly do not desire war to spring up between our people, but if I were to accept vassalage it would be under a provision that Sanglea accept the same and furthermore that they submit themselves to my Crown which would in turn submit itself to your own."

"Of course, doing so without alarming the Sanglean people seems to me a difficult objective."[/COLOR]

Alfmark nodded. "That seems entirely reasonable. I intend to make the same offer to the Sangleans in any case. My fear is that it that is one thing to accept vassalage to a given crown, yet another thing to submit twice over. I am sure there is a compromise that can be reached, and my own kingdom has proven able to accommodate mutually recognised crowns with one taking precedence -" his eyes lit up with amusement - "although in that case it probably helps that I wear all of them."

OOC: I know you assumed talking to both of them at the same time but they're separate realms and I can't play fetch quest between them if I make it too easy on you to talk to them both at the same time.
Bah! :smalltongue:

QuintonBeck
2014-10-13, 10:43 PM
Alfmark nodded. "That seems entirely reasonable. I intend to make the same offer to the Sangleans in any case. My fear is that it that is one thing to accept vassalage to a given crown, yet another thing to submit twice over. I am sure there is a compromise that can be reached, and my own kingdom has proven able to accommodate mutually recognised crowns with one taking precedence -" his eyes lit up with amusement - "although in that case it probably helps that I wear all of them."

The Queen laughed, "True enough. Well, the Kingdom Carmine did not become a large power through diplomatic colonization without some skill in negotiation I am sure. I shall await the results of your discussion with the High Priest. If you need my presence you need only send for me but I suspect it might be best if you spoke with the High Priest privately first."

***Later later***

The High Priest sat down across from the Carmine King in the private grove they were meeting in.

"So King Alfmark, what is it you wished to discuss?"

Aedilred
2014-10-14, 04:21 PM
The Queen laughed, "True enough. Well, the Kingdom Carmine did not become a large power through diplomatic colonization without some skill in negotiation I am sure. I shall await the results of your discussion with the High Priest. If you need my presence you need only send for me but I suspect it might be best if you spoke with the High Priest privately first."

***Later later***

The High Priest sat down across from the Carmine King in the private grove they were meeting in.

"So King Alfmark, what is it you wished to discuss?"

OOC: Although I have edited it, the first part of this is to all intents and purposes the same spiel :smalltongue: It becomes original again just before the spoiler.

"As you might be aware, your excellency, my predecessor had some twenty years or so ago been in discussion with King Rancks about a mutually beneficial arrangement between our crowns, a proposal to which the late king was receptive. Unfortunately events somewhat overtook that and the various plans had to be laid aside, but with the reopening of contact between our peoples this seems as good an opportunity as any to re-table the conversation. If you will permit me."

He unrolled the map again.

"As you are no doubt aware, my crown controls all the coast from here-" he traced a line from the Jarrland-Requiem border - "to here-" he paused at the Tuhiland border- "and we are making progress on securing the mainland east of there. Our western frontier is guarded by mountains, frozen lakes and the armies of our allies. Our east is guarded by the islands of your kingdom and that of Queen Nui."

He paused for a moment. "Of course there is an obvious flaw in this arrangement as it currently stands, inasmuch as it is an arrangement at all. There is no muutal defensive pact between our kingdoms, and yet your islands stand directly in the path of any seaborne invaders from the east. I am glad that you have had no need of your army, but there are potentially hostile forces to the east: the Tzaltec are notorious slavers, and the men of Guilder are never shy to extend their own reach. Indeed, your excellency, I believe the Guilderenes are some of the few who still visit your kingdom regularly, with an eye for a profit wherever they can find it. It has long been a fear in my kingdom that the islands will be invaded and used as a staging-post for attack on the mainland, and their strategic desirability means that this is a prospect that might well concern you too.

"I should then first propose a defensive alliance, so that if the islands come under attack or encounter difficulties, Carmine troops will stand ready to defend them, and for the sake of my own people, should invaders approach by boat with hostile intent they will be stopped in Sanglea.

"However - and this was the precise matter under discussion with the late king - I wonder if we could not do a little better than that. Your people have been cut off from the world for many years, with development and prosperity passing them by. I mean your predecessors no disrespect in saying so: were it not for the guiding hand of the Imperium, my own kingdom would likely have remained small and backward, and your people are to be commended in having come as far as they have. There is a limit to how great a single small island kingdom can grow without entering some form of partnership.

"My proposal, then, would be an agreement of vassalage in which your people become a part of the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea, while retaining all traditional rights, privileges and dignities, of course. In exchange for your loyalty and a few trade options, I should provide assistance with further colonisation and expansion, perhaps into the islands south of the Broken Enclave should that be amenable to all parties, make available to you the technologies of my people and the expertise of my advisors and counsellors in your own governments should you desire or require it, in addition of course to the promise of defence should the islands come under attack which I would propose in any case."

He presented a further document. "This is the draft agreement which was proposed to Rancks, though we never received a reply, redrafted to take account of developments in our own constitution and foreign policy but otherwise broadly unchanged. It might serve as a useful starting-point for discussions at least."

1. Preamble

1. The Greater Kingdom of the Carmine Sea is a kingdom devoted to protecting and advancing the interests of its members and vassals.

2. Leadership

1. The Greater Kingdom of the Carmine Sea is a vassal kingdom of the Salterri Imperium and none of the foregoing shall be construed in any way to hinder the rights and obligations of the rightful Qzare under the Imperial Charter.
2. The King of the Carmine Sea (hereafter for the avoidance of ambiguity “High King”) is the reigning King of the Jarrs, succession in that position to be determined according to and governed by Jarrland law (Act of Succession, 382).
3. All regions shall retain their native leadership, titles and dignities. All such titles and dignities are guaranteed by the High King, provided those titles are not Qzare, Emperor, or derivatives thereof. Traditional methods of government and selection of leadership will be respected by all members.
4. The High King shall adjudicate disputes between subjects and vassals.
5. In the event that a vassal is unable to fulfil their duties of governance, the High King is empowered to take action on their behalf until such a time as they are fit to resume office.
6. Vassals may call on the High King at any time to assist them in matters of governance or to take action on their behalf.

3. Representation

1. The Kohus of the Carmine Sea shall be convened to counsel the High King.
2. Each vassal is empowered to send up to five representatives to each Koda.
3. The High King shall not unilaterally alter levels of resource taxation without approval from the Kohus.
4. In the event that the rightful successor to the High Kingship in accordance with succession law is not a native of the kingdom, the Kohus must approve his succession.
5. In the event that the succession to the High Kingship passes outside the line of Eldin Lord Jarrow as laid out in the Jarrland Great Charter of 387, the Kohus, together with the Royal Council acting as regent, is empowered to select the successor.

4. Military

1. The territorial integrity of all vassals and subjects is guaranteed by the High King.
2. All vassals are expected to maintain reasonable defensive forces proportional to their extent and population, including a navy.
3. Should any region within the Kingdom come under attack from outside, all subjects and vassals are expected to contribute a reasonable number of troops to its defence, reasonable to be construed as all troops that can be made available without endangering the integrity of that subject.
4. Subjects and vassals are encouraged but not obliged to support foreign deployment of troops undertaken or endorsed by the High King.
5. Military units shall not be deployed by subjects and vassals contrary to the current foreign policy of the crown.

5. Faith and Religion

1. The Crown recognises the following religions: Lord of Fire, Lord of Fire (Calorum Reformation), Hailings of the Silver Sea, Rism, Druidism. The Crown officially endorses the Lord of Fire (all denominations).
2. Followers of all recognised religions are to be tolerated and not persecuted.
3. Clergy of all recognised religions may spread their creed to any territory of the Kingdom with permission of the regional government.
4. Priests and missionaries of non-approved faiths may not enter the territories of the Kingdom without permission from the High King as advised by the Kohus.
5. Members of unrecognised, traditional faiths may continue to practice their beliefs within their traditional lands; however, spreading of such faiths to other regions is forbidden.
6. Unapproved faiths may apply for recognition by the crown.
7. No subject of the crown may start or organise a new faith or religion without permission from the High King.
8. The following religions are specifically barred from all activity within the Kingdom: Ascension, Children of Kina.

6. Trade, Resources and Technology

1. Subjects and vassals of the crown may make trade agreements as they see fit, subject to the following:

1. Fellow subjects and vassals of the crown are accorded favoured trading status. If a subject or vassal of the Kingdom has need of a certain resource, that resource shall be offered to that region before trading with foreigners.
2. The crown shall meet requirements for resources in all regions where possible.
3. The High King is accorded permission to establish trading posts in any and all regions.
4. No trade shall be conducted with governments declared to be enemies of the crown.
5. Technologies shall not be traded outside the Kingdom without permission of the High King.
6. Subjects and vassals of the crown shall not unreasonably refuse to share acquired or developed technologies with other subjects and vassals. Fair payment may still be required in exchange for distribution.

7. Land Rights and Expansion

1. The rights of all subjects of the crown over all territories at time of signature are guaranteed.

1. The territories known as Jarrland, Vennland, Farridon, Tempestia, Tuhiland, Eyrecradia and the peoples thereof, and all mainland territories and their peoples discovered to the south or east of Tuhiland, are rightfully subject to the King of the Jarrs, &c. and his heirs in perpetuity.
2. The territories known as Mularuhm, Asterith, Galardoth, Norogh and Riderock, in addition to any further habitable subterranean territories discovered south of the Discord Mountains, are rightfully subject to the High King of Mularuhm and his heirs in perpetuity.
3. All bordering territory as described in the Treaty of Everlasting Friendship (revised 452) beneath the waves is rightfully subject to the Nixdarum in perpetuity.
4. The territory known as Sanglea is subject to the King of Sanglea and his heirs in perpetuity.
5. The territories known as the Broken Enclave and Tepetl are subject to the Queen of the Broken Enclave and her heirs in perpetuity.
6. The territory known as Niemidaland is subject to Gilligan Grant-Tremblor, Ambryn Jarrow-Toranath and their heirs in perpetuity.
7. The territories known as the Jewelled Cities and Tar are subject to the Skipper-General of the Ancestral Quill Unification Alliance and his successors in perpetuity.
8. All hitherto unclaimed land bordering the ocean south of Fiassa's Fast is declared to be rightfully subject to the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea.
9. The Crown shall encourage and sponsor exploration of the ocean and territories beyond those currently occupied.
10. Land rights over territories as yet undiscovered shall be settled by negotiation between subjects and vassals, or if settlement cannot be agreed, by arbitration by the High King.

8. International Relations

1. Suzerainty over the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea is held by Li Tianshi, Qzarina of the Salterri Imperium, and her rightful heirs, to be accorded all relevant respect and dignities.
2. The following governments are sworn friends of the Crown:

1. The High Kingdom of Mularuhm
2. The Holy Kingdom of Sycia
3. The Royal Council of Raaneka
4. The Nix'darum
3. The following governments are bound to the Kingdom of the Carmine Sea by marriage and are considered friends of the Crown:

1. The Kingdom of Serendel
2. The Razdissi Underpire
3. The Caercian Consortium
4. The Glazfelli Hegemony
5. The Kingdom of Ashenia
6. The Ancient Freehold of Faedas
7. The Sovereign Principality of Niskovia
8. The Grand Duchy of Pavonia

4. Subjects and vassals are free to maintain their own foreign policy provided it does not contradict that of the crown.

5. The following governments are hereby declared enemies of the crown and no trade is to be conducted with them:
-

Signed this day of - etc.

"I have already spoken with Queen Nui on this matter and she is receptive to the suggestion, though her agreement is dependent at least in part on your opinion."

QuintonBeck
2014-10-14, 09:47 PM
The High Priest bristled at the mention of King Rancks but said nothing, looking over the document carefully and thoroughly.

"Section 6, Sub-section 3," he stated simply, "There is no limit on the trading posts bequeathed to the High King, I should certainly feel more comfortable were it limited to one trading post made available for every two regions controlled."

"Of course, that perhaps reveals my interest that I am picking at it. The offer intrigues me, though we do not yet have a King whom could approve such a thing and even if we did many of my fellows take pride in the solitude we have found and that this agreement was discussed with the Grounded King would only lose more support back home."

"I am curious though, what is it about my decision that so affected the Queen's?"

Aedilred
2014-10-15, 08:48 PM
The High Priest bristled at the mention of King Rancks but said nothing, looking over the document carefully and thoroughly.

"Section 6, Sub-section 3," he stated simply, "There is no limit on the trading posts bequeathed to the High King, I should certainly feel more comfortable were it limited to one trading post made available for every two regions controlled."

"Of course, that perhaps reveals my interest that I am picking at it. The offer intrigues me, though we do not yet have a King whom could approve such a thing and even if we did many of my fellows take pride in the solitude we have found and that this agreement was discussed with the Grounded King would only lose more support back home."

"I am curious though, what is it about my decision that so affected the Queen's?"

Alfmark watched the High Priest carefully, his expression remaining carefully neutral. The convenience of Rancks's death had not gone unnoticed in Horbeach and the disdain of the priest for the Grounded was evident. Grounded and Risen were all alike to a foreigner, and that the writ of a king would be so casually disregarded sat ill with him. But Rancks was gone and he must deal with those in front of him.

"The terms relating to trading posts could certainly be amended. I suspect we should wish to build one in Sanglea for falling stars, and perhaps one in the Broken Enclave for Star Nectar, and otherwise arrange trades normally. As a vassal myself, I thought the suggested arrangements more equitable than some system of tribute, though I appreciate the desire to retain control of one's own resources. Of course, the matters relating to trade are rather less significant than those relating to sovereignty.

"Queen Nui has concerns relating to Sanglea's geographical location between the two principal territories of her region, and would not wish to sign unless Sanglea were to do so too. She expressed a further desire for the two kingdoms to be united under a single crown - and given that she is enthroned and controls a larger territory than does Sanglea, it will likely not surprise you if I suggest she envisages herself as the chief beneficiary of such an agreement."

QuintonBeck
2014-10-15, 09:47 PM
"Hmm, I imagine she would envisage such wouldn't she? I like the Queen, and she has pedigree, but the laws of Sanglea are clear, the King is he, or she, who reaches the highest point on the Pillar of Trials, only amended in recent years to specify the illegality of climbing the outer portion. The woman is tall enough to be Risen, but she is not native and she has never trained for the Trials, thus, I do not think it likely such an arrangement could be made and accepted among the other Priests."

"As for signing this document, as I said, such would only be a doable by a King, which we are currently lacking. I appreciate the time you have taken for the discussion certainly, and I will make it a priority to bring it to the awareness of our successor King, but until then I do not think there is much that I can help you with King Alfmark."

The Sanglean seemed to have grown discontent, the mentioning of King Rancks combined with the topic of Queen Nui willing to follow through on the Grounded King's plans should she succeed him had only served to make the High Priest discontent and quarrelsome.

Aedilred
2014-10-15, 10:49 PM
"I must admit I am unfamiliar with the trials myself, and so have no idea how Queen Nui would fare in them were she to take part. Whether her place of birth and caste status in the eyes of the Sanglean priesthood would present obstacles I know not: social obstacles perhaps, if not legal ones. I shall defer to your judgment on such things. I am also unfamiliar with Sanglean customs of regency, so if it requires a king to sign such an agreement, we must wait until one is selected." He made a show of starting to move the documents and maps away and waved over a servant to take care of it.

"Perhaps the most elegant solution most satisfactory to all parties would be for the putative Sanglean king, assuming of course it is a king, to marry Queen Nui and unite your crowns in that manner, assuming that the idea of such a union does not in itself disturb you. Since as I say I am ignorant of the finer details of Sanglean succession law, I shall have to ask you to satisfy my curiosity: is there any prohibition on priests taking part in the Trials?"

QuintonBeck
2014-10-16, 10:07 AM
"I must admit I am unfamiliar with the trials myself, and so have no idea how Queen Nui would fare in them were she to take part. Whether her place of birth and caste status in the eyes of the Sanglean priesthood would present obstacles I know not: social obstacles perhaps, if not legal ones. I shall defer to your judgment on such things. I am also unfamiliar with Sanglean customs of regency, so if it requires a king to sign such an agreement, we must wait until one is selected." He made a show of starting to move the documents and maps away and waved over a servant to take care of it.

"Perhaps the most elegant solution most satisfactory to all parties would be for the putative Sanglean king, assuming of course it is a king, to marry Queen Nui and unite your crowns in that manner, assuming that the idea of such a union does not in itself disturb you. Since as I say I am ignorant of the finer details of Sanglean succession law, I shall have to ask you to satisfy my curiosity: is there any prohibition on priests taking part in the Trials?"

"There are no explicit dissallowances, though such would be highly irregular. Our laws were given to us long ago in a simpler time and have served us well for centuries, but in these recent years their simple wording seems to have lent itself to an array of scenarios we could never have anticipated and Sangleans are slow to change things."

The High Priest leaned forward, "Though if you are proposing what I believe you to be proposing perhaps I might not be disinclined to take advantage of such revealed loopholes myself. A native Sanglean, and High Priest at that, ascending to Kingship and uniting a realm through marriage to a beautiful Spriggan of the Enclave? It's a marvelous story, one I'd be inclined to follow through on, but the question then becomes, why would a speculative High Priest then sign away his independence to a foreign King without some form of compensation beyond the agreements of vassalage you have already proposed?"

Aedilred
2014-10-16, 10:13 PM
"There are no explicit dissallowances, though such would be highly irregular. Our laws were given to us long ago in a simpler time and have served us well for centuries, but in these recent years their simple wording seems to have lent itself to an array of scenarios we could never have anticipated and Sangleans are slow to change things."

The High Priest leaned forward, "Though if you are proposing what I believe you to be proposing perhaps I might not be disinclined to take advantage of such revealed loopholes myself. A native Sanglean, and High Priest at that, ascending to Kingship and uniting a realm through marriage to a beautiful Spriggan of the Enclave? It's a marvelous story, one I'd be inclined to follow through on, but the question then becomes, why would a speculative High Priest then sign away his independence to a foreign King without some form of compensation beyond the agreements of vassalage you have already proposed?"

He smiled. "You are thinking like a king already, I see. There are a number of answers to your question, I think. First, I think it would be wrong to view any such agreement as a loss of independence. I am a vassal to the Silver Throne, yet I remain a king in the eyes of the world. I am free to follow my own religion, pass laws within the borders of my kingdom, pursue a foreign policy of my own devising. It would perhaps not be unfair to say that my kingdom has had more influence on the Qzare than the Qzare has on my crown.

"Sanglea is small and has little opportunity for expansion, hemmed in on both sides by the Broken Enclave. It has no navy. Its voice has not been heard even by its neighbours in more than twenty years before today. Unless there is change, Sanglea will remain small and disregarded by the world beyond our shores, unable to expand or spread its influence. In time, Sanglea will come to be seen by those with a propensity for such arrogance as a backwards place in need of their particular brand of civilisation. Its culture will be dissipated through outside influence, or some conqueror will chance their arm. How large is Sanglea's army, three thousand? And a few thousand militia? Brave soldiers, no doubt, but how would they fare with their padded vests and mail shirts against the steam weapons and terror lizards of the Guilderenes, or the burning engines of the Tzaltec, the Pavonian adamantine legions, or even the hordes of southron migrants sufficient to drown them in bodies alone? In time Sanglea must expand, or one way or another it will fall, and the window of opportunity for expansion without external support grows ever narrower. A united crown of the Isles would give Sanglea a chance to spread its religion and culture to the whole archipelago and beyond. A united kingdom of the Carmine Sea would give Sanglea a voice at the highest of tables: not merely mine in Horbeach, but even the Senate in Xianzhi Urbe.

"It is true that I would stand to profit, but I am not solely motivated by a desire for my own crown's prestige and security. I fear for the future of the island kingdoms if they continue on their current path. Too many small kingdoms with no protector to call on have fallen in recent years: witness the fate of Bjurnja at the hands of my own cousins. I am old enough, barely, to recall a time when my own kingdom's future appeared equally precarious, and I would not wish it on any whom I am in a position to help."

He looked at the High Priest more levelly. "Of course, much of this will have occurred to you: you are not a fool. My offer as it stands is for security for Sanglea both in military and economic terms for as long as my kingdom - and by extension the Imperium - stands, assistance in improving the standards of living in the kingdom beyond recognition, the opportunity to treble, perhaps even quadruple, the Rism congregation, and the possibility of marriage to a woman you clearly hold in high esteem both in character and appearance, and you ask what compensation you will get for accepting the terms? You drive a hard bargain. I shall ask, then, what would you consider an acceptable arrangement?"

QuintonBeck
2014-10-16, 11:34 PM
OOC: Mic drop!

The High Priest seemed somewhat taken aback by the King's words, no, not taken aback, moved would be a more appropriate term.

"Well King Alfmark, an assurance that should a united Isles grow so great as to expand upon their recognized power and become a great kingdom in it's own right, that they be allowed to do so, as well as an agreement to ward heirs for five years during their development. You have made quite a statement here, and if I would work with you and your heirs I would like to insure the relationship as you have laid it out here continues on that path."

OOC: Unless you'd like to RP it out beyond the response to this (assuming nothing is rejected/nothing crazy is said) as far as I'm concerned we can handwave running back to Nui and RPing all that out and I'll update the NPC actions to reflect the unification of the Isles and ascendance of King Iluthar and his marriage to Queen Nui.

Aedilred
2014-10-16, 11:57 PM
OOC: Mic drop!

The High Priest seemed somewhat taken aback by the King's words, no, not taken aback, moved would be a more appropriate term.

"Well King Alfmark, an assurance that should a united Isles grow so great as to expand upon their recognized power and become a great kingdom in it's own right, that they be allowed to do so, as well as an agreement to ward heirs for five years during their development. You have made quite a statement here, and if I would work with you and your heirs I would like to insure the relationship as you have laid it out here continues on that path."

OOC: Unless you'd like to RP it out beyond the response to this (assuming nothing is rejected/nothing crazy is said) as far as I'm concerned we can handwave running back to Nui and RPing all that out and I'll update the NPC actions to reflect the unification of the Isles and ascendance of King Iluthar and his marriage to Queen Nui.

"That is entirely reasonable and I should expect no less. I shall ensure that any agreement we may sign allows for such a provision, though I hope that when such a day arises our kingdoms will remain bound by friendship, even though I shall likely not be there to see it. I should be happy to ward heirs of the kingdom in Jarrland, for we have long had such relationships with our friends in Raaneka, AQUA and Niskovia, and should you wish I shall also send one of my sons as ambassador to the isles, together with whichever ministers will make the greatest impact, and one of my nephew's boys that he might experience island culture first-hand. I look forward to a long and prosperous collaboration."

OOC: That's fine by me.