PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn of Bahamut + Goliath

Zaetar
2014-10-08, 10:50 PM
Let's get to the point here...

So, I was wondering if i could take the Dragonborn of Bahamut template-procedure-thingy in a Goliath with the Mountain Rage replacement to later, on epic levels, take the Bloodscaled Fury class which requires 2 feats that require Large size.

Will I keep the Powerful Build racial trait or I lose it when im reborn?

Please don't offer me making it half-minotaur or anything like that. I dont want to create another Frankestein. But you are welcome to offer me any class that is already Large sized with +1 LA. If not... well then I'll need to look into +2 LA...

Thanks!

Nettlekid
2014-10-08, 10:57 PM
Dragonborn strips you of everything except what it says you keep, and Powerful Build is not one of those things, so you do lose Powerful Build. However, you do still count as a member of your original race, in this case Goliath, which means you can still take the Goliath Barbarian racial substitution level to grow to Large size when you're raging, so you will qualify for any Large-size feats while you're raging. If you level up while raging, you can pick those feats. You'll lose them when you go back to Medium, but regain them when you rage again.

ranagrande
2014-10-08, 10:58 PM
Powerful Build is specifically listed in the Dragon born section as something you keep, so that works.

If you don't mind racial HD, there are some LA +0 races, like my favorite Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-08, 11:00 PM
Isn't half-ogre an LA+1?

ranagrande
2014-10-08, 11:01 PM
It was bumped up to +2 on Races of Destiny.

Zaetar
2014-10-08, 11:39 PM
Yaaaaaaaay Bloodscale Fury incoming! :D Thanks for confirming it guys!

torrasque666
2014-10-08, 11:56 PM
Yaaaaaaaay Bloodscale Fury incoming! :D Thanks for confirming it guys!

Wait, are you trying to use a Dragonborn Goliath to enter Bloodscale Fury? Because that doesn't work. Its still a Monstrous Humanoid while Bloodscale Fury requires Dragon. Dragonborn explicitly keeps your type.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-09, 12:09 AM
Wait, are you trying to use a Dragonborn Goliath to enter Bloodscale Fury? Because that doesn't work. Its still a Monstrous Humanoid while Bloodscale Fury requires Dragon. Dragonborn explicitly keeps your type.

I thought this was sketchy too, but then I checked RotD:

Humanoid (dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype and any other subtypes they had before undergoing the Rite of Rebirth. For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon and a member of her original race.
The last bit is key. In addition to being a Monstrous Humanoid (Dragonblood), for all racial effects you count as both a Goliath and as a dragon. And Bloodscaled Fury only lists "dragon" as a requirement, not "true dragon".

torrasque666
2014-10-09, 12:15 AM
Ah that's right. I forgot that's what the dragonblooded subtype adds.

animewatcha
2014-10-09, 12:39 AM
Isn't half-ogre an LA+1?

In savage species, it was a LA 1. That got bumped to +2 in races of destiny. That is if you use the race version of it. If you use dragon magazine version ( like for the primordial giant thing ), it is a LA +1 template.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-09, 12:57 AM
Ah that's right. I forgot that's what the dragonblooded subtype adds.

Dragonblooded by itself wouldn't be enough, as it doesn't convey the dragon type. It's a specific benefit with dragonborn that says you count as a dragon.

Zaetar
2014-10-09, 11:47 AM
Let me rephrase it then. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay Dragonscaled Fury during Mountain Rage incoming! :D

dysprosium
2014-10-09, 11:53 AM
Is this for an epic game?

Bloodscaled Fury has a BAB +22 prerequisite.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-09, 12:20 PM
Is this for an epic game?

Bloodscaled Fury has a BAB +22 prerequisite.

OP mentioned in their first post that they plan on taking Bloodscaled Fury in epic levels, yes.

dysprosium
2014-10-09, 12:24 PM
OP mentioned in their first post that they plan on taking Bloodscaled Fury in epic levels, yes.

My reading comprehension is full of fail today. :smallredface:

atemu1234
2014-10-10, 09:19 AM
Dragonblooded by itself wouldn't be enough, as it doesn't convey the dragon type. It's a specific benefit with dragonborn that says you count as a dragon.

It says they qualify as dragons. I think that's enough by the rules. Basically, they are treated as both dragons and their original type. Basically a Dragonborn made from an elf can be an Arcane Archer while still being able to get into Dragon PrCs.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-10, 10:56 AM
It says they qualify as dragons. I think that's enough by the rules. Basically, they are treated as both dragons and their original type. Basically a Dragonborn made from an elf can be an Arcane Archer while still being able to get into Dragon PrCs.

That was my point, clarifying that it's not dragonblooded that does it (thus something like a silverbrow cannot do the same thing) but a special quality of the dragonborn.

Drackstin
2014-10-10, 12:00 PM
if you check the dragonblood subtype box in the section that dragon born is in it says that bragonblood only grants you the ability to take dragonboold feats, you must be a real dragon to take dragon feats, but a real dragon can take dragonblood feats also, so it doesn't work.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-10, 12:52 PM
if you check the dragonblood subtype box in the section that dragon born is in it says that bragonblood only grants you the ability to take dragonboold feats, you must be a real dragon to take dragon feats, but a real dragon can take dragonblood feats also, so it doesn't work.

It specifies above and beyond dragonblood for dragonborn.

Drackstin
2014-10-10, 01:27 PM
It specifies above and beyond dragonblood for dragonborn.

If that was the case then you wouldn't need the feat dragonwrought to make you count as a real dragon, when something has a prerequisite for dragon it means true dragon unless otherwise noted. the only way for this to work is to be a half-dragon Goliath, this lets you take the class because you become dragon. dragonblood subtype will only allow you to take things with the dragonblood prerequisite.

Jeff the Green
2014-10-10, 01:46 PM
If that was the case then you wouldn't need the feat dragonwrought to make you count as a real dragon

Dragonborn have a specific exemption: "For all effects related to race, a dragonborn counts as a dragon and as a member of her original race."

when something has a prerequisite for dragon it means true dragon unless otherwise noted.

What? No, it doesn't. It means the dragon type. True dragons are a much more exclusive club.

Drackstin
2014-10-10, 01:51 PM
Dragonborn have a specific exemption: "For all effects related to race, a dragonborn counts as a dragon and as a member of her original race."

What? No, it doesn't. It means the dragon type. True dragons are a much more exclusive club.

oh i must of missed that, i was looking for it be didn't see it, and i meant dragon type not true dragon, was typing faster then i was thinking, since half-dragon are not true dragons ether.

animewatcha
2014-10-10, 10:24 PM
I see dragonwrought as combined with kobold for getting bonuses of aging without penalties at level 1. Can this be explained?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-10-10, 10:42 PM
I can't recall where it is stated, either in the Draconomicon or Races of the Dragon, but one of those books state that Dragons do not suffer stat penalties for advanced age and since Dragonwrought make Kobolds dragons, you can see how it works.

Greenish
2014-10-10, 10:57 PM
I can't recall where it is stated, either in the Draconomicon or Races of the Dragon, but one of those books state that Dragons do not suffer stat penalties for advanced age and since Dragonwrought make kobolds dragons, you can see how it works.Races of the Dragon specifically says that dragonwrought kobolds do not take aging penalties, but still get the bonuses. It's in the box with kobold age categories.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-10-10, 11:08 PM
There you go, I didn't have my books handy to check.