PDA

View Full Version : Solo IC Thread- Let the 20's Roar- Erasmas

pife
2014-10-08, 11:19 PM
Once, you were the Herald of Night, right hand and exalted Lieutenant of Be'lal, the Throne of the Eclipsed Moon. There are so many shades of darkness, and you created some of them yourself. Each night was different, hiding something new and wondrous to behold. That moment, between darkness and light, when the last shadow falls away and is struck by the first ray of light.. that was what discovery truly was. You were the creator and guardian of mystical wonders.. once.

Truthfully, many of your memories had already faded. How many glories can one recall, after eons, millennia, of virtual non-being and torment? You had long since given up the real and true hope that you would ever be released from your tomb, this oubliette of anguish and suffering. Never again to stand proudly before your general, Lucifer, and perform deeds the likes of which would never be seen again. You withstood it better than some. For them, madness was the only outlet they had left. While some of your fellows cried out for God, for Lucifer, for deliverance or oblivion, you waited, certain in the belief that if you were only steadfast, he would return to lead you forth. The battle had been lost, but the war was far from over. Or so you thought. As time lost it's meaning, you began to question. Why hadn't he returned? Where was he? What power could hold him, for all this time? You were one of those who flocked to the "borders" of your prison on each of the five occasions that a 'storm' rocked your prison, reinvigorated by the certainty that finally, the Champion of Humanity had returned, finally, to lead his horde forth to continue their good works. And each time, you were disappointed.

Which is why this time, when the very darkness around you vibrated, you barely reacted. Your mind had shut down all but it's most primitive processes, keeping only the barest sense of the dim knowledge of Humanity, and it's myriad failures and shortcomings. What you were enduring, it could hardly be called 'existence'. But this.. this was different. You specifically recall a wet, ripping noise, and pressure, immense pressure that threatened to crush you. What followed was the sensation of great speed and turbulence, as you passed through a tear in the membrane of your prison, and were sent hurtling.. somewhere. You could feel, rather than see the clawing appendages of an immense number of souls that tried to grasp you, prevent you from moving on, but you slipped helplessly through their grasp, being dragged onward by a force that you could neither perceive or deny. Your eyes, for so long clouded with grainy darkness, began to clear. Your surroundings resolved into an inferno. The humans, in their ignorance feared an existence just such as this, an eternity of agony in a raging maelstrom of fire and anguish. Yet, there was no pain. You had no physical form of your own, could not feel the sensations that you knew were natural and right. You were in a building, a large, wooden building, and it was completely engulfed in flames.

Your vision narrowed, your peripheral sight dimming until you could see only one thing. A flaming timber, nearly eight inches square, it's end securely on the chest of a human, male, you think, whose fingertips even now fall twitching away from where it had been attempting to free itself. You had seen death occur countless times during the War, had caused a large number of them yourself, but this, for some reason, felt more tragic, more "real". Perhaps it was because you had been denied stimulation or emotion for so terribly long. You felt yourself drawing closer and closer to the charring corpse, and then your perspective changed. You were not above the corpse looking down. You were opening eyes whose lids had partially melted away, an immense pressure on your chest preventing the drawing of breath. The logical portion of your mind explained that this was for the best, as a single breath drawn in this environment would scorch your lungs, and.. Your lungs? Your eyes? Your chest? Channeling the power you had not had cause or ability to summon in thousands of years, you reached up and threw the timber away from yourself. Willing yourself to move, you felt bones knitting and skin reforming as you rolled to your feet. Most of your clothing had burned away, and, while uncomfortable, you knew that you were going to survive. Not twenty feet away, a boat pulled away from a tiny dock set into the building, several huge pairs of eyes watching the building beginning to collapse. Gathering yourself, you put one foot in front of the other, gaining momentum until you had achieved a lolloping run. One of the bones in your leg was still broken, but mending rapidly now. You tensed your uninjured leg, and leapt toward the boat, landing with a crash against it's side with your chest, which forced the air out of your lungs. Strong hands reached into the water and dragged you into the boat. You had just flipped over onto your back, and looked where you had just been. The entire warehouse collapsed with a roar and a strong wave of heat reached out and touched your brow.

You opened your mouth to speak, and a thousand memories exploded inside your mind, like fiery needles piercing your brain. Only, the memories were not your own. You felt your sense of self begin to diminish, your recollection of tens of thousands of years fading under the avalanche of emotions, dreams, fears.. This person, this "Tony", was no more, and you resided in the shell that he had inhabited. But where were you? What in the name of Gods Grace were you doing here, and by what means had you arrived. And WHY?

Two weeks later, much remains unanswered. You have slowly become accustomed to "Tony". His thoughts, his preferences, his instincts still affected almost every move you made, but your mind was your own. Your memory of your past, from the unbounded days of endless beauty and creation, to the interminable incarceration after the Fall, these things are still cloudy. You could access any aspect of Tony's life, know what he knew, but you recall almost nothing of yourself. One question still truly remains.. Where is your master? Where.. is Lucifer?

Tonight, though, was for vengeance. Your Italian friends had discovered who had set fire to your warehouse. The fire which had claimed the lives of two night watchmen who had been working for your.. his.. father for twenty years. It is still difficult to separate you from him. You aren't sure if you are now one and the same, or if you are some form of composite or.. You're just not sure. What you are sure of is the homely woman in front of you with sallow skin, a nose that had been broken more than once, and stringy, lackluster hair was sitting in the back of your car with you. You held an envelope in your hand, an envelope with three-hundred dollars in it (a fortune, more than most laborers would make in half a year). This woman, this Rowena, claimed to have a name for you. The name of the person who had ordered your warehouse set ablaze. Her fingernails are dirty, you notice as she reaches toward the envelope, her eyes never leaving yours. That's what I said, Mr. Giovanni. His name, his address, and even the names of a couple of his boys. That kind of information is worth a lot, eh?

pife
2014-10-08, 11:21 PM
Reserved for Pife

I will be putting a gallery of the people you know here, and putting any other relevant information that we will want to refer to frequently here as well. Will be working on this more tomorrow.

Erasmas
2014-10-10, 12:03 PM
"Whoa there. Hold your horses.", Tony said, pulling the envelope back and out of the woman's reach. "You are one eager beaver! But it don't work like that, sweetheart. I get the information first... then you get your money." He shifted in the bench seat, the leather creaking beneath his overcoat. It was still cold out, especially at night, which is when he preferred to do most of his 'other' business. There was something familiar and comforting about the dark; like a blanket that shut out the noise and chaos of the rest of the world. It... confined things... simplified them. You didn't have to concern yourself so much with things you couldn't see or hear. And without the light of the sun, you could almost pretend that things outside of your immediate surroundings simply didn't exist. It was more secluded; more intimate.

He tilted his fedora back a bit, so that Rowena could see his face a bit more. This was business, and he didn't want there to be any misconceptions about how this was going to go down. Tony smiled to ease the tension of the pending deal.

"So, here's what I want to know. You gotta name for me? Great; over the moon. But first, I wanna know how you got this name. Before I hand you these greenbacks... I gotta know that what I'm getting outta this is legitimate. And I wanna know what cards are gonna fall when this person finds himself in trouble, capisce? Who he's connected to, and how. Alright, start talkin'."

He tapped the envelope, passing it off as mere absentminded energy. But Ezekial knew what he was doing.

pife
2014-10-14, 11:09 PM
Rowena is made of fairly stern stuff. She sniffs as you pull the envelope out of her reach, and she withdraws her hand, making steady eye contact with you. She begins to laugh, and you notice that she is missing several of her teeth, though the rest seem to be miscolored and crooked. Thin walls, Mr. Giovanni, thin walls. She continues to laugh for a moment. Once upon a time, this face wasn't so hard to look at, and men remembered well what a woman's mouth was for. Well, my whorin' (she pronounces it hoorin) days is over, but I never fergot the only thing a man's mouth was good for, and that was runnin'. My looks have faded, but my ears are as good as they ever was. There's a man who visits a.. lady friend.. who lives next door to me. While he was tryin' ta-get her to use hers, he was runnin' his. Charlie Tavist is the boy's name, seen him runnin' 'round the neighborhood for a few months. He's taken up with Tawny, what lives next door to me. He was sayin' that he weren't never going to be able to wear that suit never again, what for all of the scorch marks he got onnit settin' fire to. How did he put it.. She continues to meet your gaze.. Some worthless uppity dago, I think it were. Said nobody messes with the White Hand and don't pay on that account. He comes by Tawny's place a few times a week. Now, you want that address, or do I take my old ears somewheres else?

Erasmas
2014-10-15, 10:06 AM
"Looks like the good days for your mouth ain't over yet, Rowena.", he then holds the envelope out for her to take and smiles. "So, now I gotta name. How's about that address?"

After she gave him the rest of the information he was after, Tony indicated that it was time for her to go. As she was getting out of the back of his car, he called after her.

"Oh and uh... Rowena? I think it goes without saying that our little exchange here shouldn't be the topic of no running mouths. You get what I'm saying to you?", he said, allowing a bit of fire to burn behind his eyes as he stared the woman down. With that, he got out of the car and moved back into the front seat and started the ignition. Shifting the gears, he depressed the accelerator and drove away. The first order of business was to report this new information; he could likely take out this Irish chump by himself... but chances were that it went higher up than just some street thug. Besides, Tony was pretty sure that the boys would want to be involved with what was going on. If he was going to own this town, he knew that he couldn't be a loose cannon in their eyes - this bit had to be by the books.