PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Playing with newcomers

ReD_Exorcist
2014-10-09, 02:31 AM
So I am going to be playing a campaign with a bunch of newcomers to dnd & role playing overall. I was wondering what class, race and type of character should I be. I want them to experience how fun it is to actually role play and be creative.

So right now I was planning to play a shield and sword type of Fighter.
My race is a Water Orc
My class is the PHB Fighter
Does this sound like a type of character that wound be good to play with some newcomers?

I don't know how important I should make my role into the party.I want them to experience how it is to lead the group and be the face and all the other roles.

Right now we have
A rogue, she seems to be one of the more talented ones in role playing
A ranger, shes also one of the more talented role players
A monk, he seems like he wants to get into role playing its just that hes having a hard time
A Sorcerer, he seems the least interested in the game hes playing because his sister is playing with us

So my question is what type of player should I be. I also plan to DM a little for them since I think its time for me to learn how to DM. So any tips would be great

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-09, 02:40 AM
If they're all new, it might be good to show them something that takes a standard element of fantasy and optimizes the heck out of it. You've certainly got your standard element with sword-and-board; make it a shield bashing damage machine to show them what the system is capable of :smallbiggrin:

torrasque666
2014-10-09, 02:48 AM
Just let them have their fun, let them build what they want. A good DM will adjust to his group. Not the plot necessarily, but the encounters.

DarkEternal
2014-10-09, 03:01 AM
You've done right in choosing a fighter. The worst thing, I feel, that you can do in a group where newcomers are involved is to take something overly complex or overpowered and just break the game with people that just started. Take it easy, take it slow and if you DM is good enough, it'll be a blast.

backwaterj
2014-10-09, 03:11 AM
You've done right in choosing a fighter. The worst thing, I feel, that you can do in a group where newcomers are involved is to take something overly complex or overpowered and just break the game with people that just started. Take it easy, take it slow and if you DM is good enough, it'll be a blast.

Hear hear! If the players are new to roleplaying, give them their time to shine. Not that fighters can't make for interesting roleplay but they're far from in danger of overpowering a group unless you optimize the heck out of them, yet they still have some staying power if things go south. A solid plan B would be cleric, since you may or may not be losing your spellcaster, and heals/buffs are always nice for new players.

Ratatoskir
2014-10-09, 03:13 AM
Another good option might be a crusader, keep everyone on their feet. New players might need the extra hp with all that inexperience. Or even a cleric, so long as you don't go all clericzilla and outshine everyone.

eggynack
2014-10-09, 03:17 AM
I'd tend away from the fighter. It looks like you're trying to hang back and maybe show the other players a reasonable portion of what D&D is capable of, and fighters are bad at both of those things. Instead, I'd suggest something like a bard. They tend to support the other players, instead of hanging out on the front lines, but as a jack of all trades, the class gives you good opportunities to show off various facets of the system, like magic and skill use.

Brookshw
2014-10-09, 05:47 AM
In general when I've had groups of mostly new players I've been very appreciative of my veteran players choosing support/buffing roles over anything too active. It's helpful as it enables the new players to accomplish things in the game without having to get overwhelmed trying to optimize much (something that can be daunting at first when they're still trying to figure out how their saves work). It's not so much what you choose as how you decide to play it. Getting new players to enjoy the game first and invest in it as an activity they enjoy is the number one priority rather than trying to demonstrate anything. Do you know these people well?

Senshi Akai
2014-10-09, 06:25 AM
Just giving emphasis in the idea of being a support character. I tend to prefer battlefield control/buff focused wizards, but it seems that a cleric, bard, crusader or something among these lines would be perfect for this group. That way, you can do your job and save their lives if needed, but won't outshine anyone.

lytokk
2014-10-09, 07:07 AM
I would also suggest a support character. Let them shine on this game, but be the social face of the party for the time being until they get used to the idea of RP. Bard works great for this. If you also want to be the meat shield, crusader. Or use some combination of the two. Also, I'd keep the build as simple as possible, but that's just me.

weckar
2014-10-09, 07:09 AM
Bards are nice, but I have found that the concepts and mechanics of Bardic Music can be tricky for newcomers to grasp. I'd suggest a Beguiler instead, played AS a bard...

zyggythorn
2014-10-12, 10:30 AM
I'm currently in this role for an ebberon campaign actually- out of 7 players, 2 of us have more than 2 years experience, and the other is getting back into tabletopping after a bit of a hiatus.

Playing the face of the group is a good choice, because- as previously stated- RP is the hardest thing to get a handle on. (My girlfriend actually plays in this game, and she has just started feeling comfortable with playing her character as a character- after about 3 months)

But you noted that the only other caster didn't seem interested in the game- that might make an issue or 3 down the line. A party full of mundanes can make for an amazing campaign, but it normally also has a rather high death rate- not something fun for newbies.

Playing a healer as well will be incredibly useful- can't enjoy a character if they don't live past 1 session.

Anyways tl;Dr

I suggest a build similar to what I currently use- Bard 4/ Favored Soul 1, all about buffs, heals, and awesome.
Both spontaneous Cha casters, and more than enough room for personal RP shenanigans.

Admittedly a bit low-mid op, but fun all the same.