PDA

View Full Version : D&D Next/5e: Mines of Madness - IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Foodle
2014-10-09, 02:52 AM
Mines of Madness - D&D Next/5eYou have come to the Mines of Madness in search of the Forever Stone, a powerful artifact rumored to have many great powers, first among them the power to grant eternal life. According to half-forgotten lore, the stone was hidden from the world long ago by evil wizards and greedy dwarves who coveted its power.

They are said to have perished in an orgy of magic and bloodshed after turning on one another. You don’t expect all the rumors to be true, but one thing is certain: Over the years, many adventurers have tried to claim the Forever Stone, but none have succeeded.

To survive the Mines of Madness would be a feather in the cap of any adventurer, but to retrieve the Forever Stone would catapult you into the annals of awesomeness. And so here you are, on the brink of greatness, ready to descend into the depths in search of glory, infamy, and immortality. . . .

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Entrance.png

After arriving at the base of the mountain yesterday morning and setting up a camp with the rest of the company, it was decided among yourselves to delve into the deeps in smaller groups to lessen the chance of a collapse or a dastardly trap destroying all chances of retrieving the treasures hidden in the mines.

Having pulled the short straws and given the honor of being the first to enter to seek your fame beneath the earth, the four of you set forth; Dragul Ironskull the mighty warrior; the cunning Roland Athol; Biggles Bobbins with his many toys; and the booze laden combat medic Osrik Stonehammer.

Breaking through the tree line, the grass and other vegetation rapidly gives way to barren rock and dirt. Before you, atop the mountain and nestled within a space in the rocks, sits the mine entrance, the path to the forever stone and the eternal life it promises. Or if nerves have gotten the better of you, at some point has built a ramshackle wooden outhouse. It stands about 30 feet from the entrance to the mine and carved into the door are the words “KEEP OUT!” in Common.

niks97cobra
2014-10-09, 06:08 AM
Dragul Ironskull wanders about outside the mine entrance for a moment, then walks over to the outhouse.

He looks around for traps outside the mine and outside outhouse.

[roll0] At Mine
[roll1] At Outhouse

Dragul gets distracted outside of the mine when he finds a shiny rock. He then moves to the outhouse and gets distracted by a dull rock. He picks up the dull rock and realizes its a dried up turd.

Dragul curses in dwarven and throws the poo. "Who am I kiddin. Just like Dad said, I'm useless unless I'm killing."

The dworc walks away from the outhouse and kicks a large rock. "Just tell me when to swing."

He sulks to himself, sitting on the rock.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-09, 10:21 AM
Ah the fabled mine they'd be looking for! Likely fill to the brim with danger and death. He didn't mind the death, though he did mind the danger. Still the promise of immortality beckoned, and the possibility for putting some of the pages of the Necrognomicon into practice. Truth be told Biggles was excited as he gazed at the entrance, absently patting the rather bedraggled owl hanging on his shoulder with one hand as he considered the possibilities.

"Now now. Wait until we're inside before you start throwing any tantrums," Biggles remarked to his comrade, just staring at the entrance. Not even turning to speak. "Besides, you're good for more than just swinging a weapon. You have a remarkable amount of blade attracting meat on you. Which is why you should likely be the one to take point. Unless our more trap inclined companion would like that particular honor?" the gnome went on.

r2d2go
2014-10-09, 01:01 PM
Osrik pats his half-kin on the shoulder. The orc blood bothered him, but he tried not to think of it - the party would need as much unity as they could get. Dinnae be so hard on yerself, lad. Tha' said... Roland, was it? Ye might wan' ta' check fer traps, an' then we ought ta' get goin'. No point dallyin'. He hefts his hammer, looking worriedly at the cave - hopefully, he wouldn't have to use the weapon, but with the mine's reputation he knew he would.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-09, 03:00 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"All right, all right, keep your pants on," Roland says. "Let's see what's here." With that he sets to work, investigating the entrance to the outhouse. "Who'd want to trap one of these anyway? Someone with a sick sense of humor, that's who."

[roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-09, 03:43 PM
Dragul's quick look at the mine entrance reveals nothing out of the ordinary. Piles of rubble are stacked against each wall of the entrance mouth and dust covers the floor, looking further in the light from outside quickly fades and your darkvision shows more of the same buttressed tunnel.

Looking at the outhouse in more detail confirms your first suspicions, it really is an outhouse. A poorly constructed one at that with warped timber walls leaving gaps and knot holes abounding. As Roland takes a closer look through one of the various holes he see's a wooden bench with a hole cut into it, the faint smell of old refuse lingering in the air. A flickering orange light shows through the hole, emanating from somewhere deep below.

niks97cobra
2014-10-09, 03:46 PM
"Dad always says when I lead, I end up alone."

The dworc stands, following next to Osrik. "Just tell me when to put meself in danger."

He grins a bit.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-09, 04:16 PM
"Go nuts," Biggles advises, stepping behind the dworc. "Anything in there will be more than enough danger for you I'm certain. We'll be right behind you, I can assure you."

He wished he had waited a little longer to partake in this journey... he still hadn't unlocked the true might of the Necrognomicon. But the quickest way to learn was to apply what he already had to a dangerous task. If he wanted to unlock true aracane power, he'd need to take this gamble.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-09, 05:05 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Huh, you don't see that everyday," Roland says. He turns to the others. "So there's something glowing in that latrine over there. It might be worth investigating, but it'll definitely smell, so I'm just as happy to leave it."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-09, 06:24 PM
The potential for treasure, eh? But it was beyond their grasp, in a place none dared to tread. Thankfully, this is what you had disposable minions for.

"Mr. Spoooookyyyyy," Biggle crooned, grabbing the owl from his shoulder. The molting owl grumpily glared at it's master. "Oh don't be like that! I have a job for you! Can you go down that... er, 'tunnel' and grab whatever shiny thing is down there?" the gnome implored.

Lurching a bit as he ruffled as his feathers, the bedraggled owl beat it's wings and took to the air.

Foodle
2014-10-09, 07:18 PM
Biggles reaches out and grasps the edge of the door to pull it open allowing Mr Spooky entrance to the outhouse, before retreating back a few steps. The owl floats in and lands on the edge of the longdrop hole, looking back to it's master with a look of dismay.
Through the hole the owl can see a below him a barrel partly filled with the expected, laying on top of that appears to be a torch of some kind. It's flames flicker back and forth giving off the orange light that was seen from above, but while the flames are touching the side of the barrel, the barrel seems unharmed by the fire.

Mr Spooky tilts forward and dives into the hole landing on the refuse pile and clutching the torch in one talon, he climbs out of the barrel using his beak and free leg and takes off for the light above. His head pops through the hole again, followed by a solid thunk as the torch strike the sides of the hole unable to fit through sideways.

The ground begins to rumble following the noise caused by the owl and the whole outhouse seems to sink before disappearing in a cloud of dirt, dust as a huge purple worm erupts from the ground swallowing the outhouse whole, the resulting shockwave rippling outwards threatening to knock those closest from their feet.

Dex Saves
Mr Spooky: [roll0]
Biggles: [roll1]
Roland: [roll2]

Initiative
Biggles: [roll3]
Roland: [roll4]
Osrik: [roll5]
Dragul: [roll6]

Purple Worm: [roll7]

Foodle
2014-10-09, 07:32 PM
Dragul and Osrik being closest to the mine entrance are spared from the worst of it, and Roland and Biggles manage to stay on their feet. Mr Spooky can briefly be seen flying upwards, the worms maw gaining quickly before snapping shut around the poor bird. The worm then pauses still half submerged in the ground.

Purple Worm Attack vs Mr Spooky

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

We'll just be using Theatre of the Mind for this encounter.
((You guys are up.))

Anubis Dread
2014-10-09, 09:47 PM
"Number twenty-seven- I mean, Mr. Spooky!" Biggins cried out as his familiar was devoured. Okay that was it, this thing was going down... or they were running away. Thankfully as a mage he wasn't limited to one or the other.

Scampering away as far as possible, the gnome then raised his hands and shot out a bolt of green energy at the monster. Hopefully this would be enough to leave it helpless like a lamb at a slaughter! ...though he doubted it, truthfully.

Ray of Sickness Attack Roll: [roll0]
Ray of Sickness Damage Roll: [roll1] poison
DC 14 Consitution save or the wurm is poisoned.
On crit add [roll2]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-10, 09:34 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland quickly retreats as the monster comes surging out of the ground. "Pelor help us!" he says, as he turns to run. He heads for the cave entrance, surging past Dragul and Osrik, but he doesn't go too far in before stopping and waiting for the others.

Bonus Action
Disengage

Move
Head for the cave

Action
Dash -- Head into cave

niks97cobra
2014-10-10, 03:57 PM
Dragul looks at the worm, "Good bye Mr. Spooky."

He bows his head for a split second then raises it and yells, "I think in honor of Mr. Spooky, we better run!"

(Delaying action to run into the mines if (or as) everyone else does.)

Foodle
2014-10-10, 05:36 PM
Roland dashes into the entrance tunnel of the mine, Dragul close behind him and as they get about 10ft into the tunnel they both briefly see a bright flash under the dust covering the floor between two of the buttresses and suddenly rocks start falling around them as the ceiling begins to collapse.

The purple worm either oblivious to your presence, or just not caring after it's meal of the outhouse and Mr Spooky, begins to slide back down the hole it came from, leaving behind a sinkhole of pulverized rock other debris.

Dex Save vs DC10
Roland: [roll0] | [roll1]
Dragul: [roll2]

On Failure
Tunnel Collapse: [roll3] bludgeoning and falls prone under the rubble

On Success
You make it past the falling rocks and are now safe inside the tunnel. It's dark, pitch black.

Roland ducks and weaves through the rocks, making it to safety on the far side and finding himself in darkness unable to see anything, while Dragul isn't so fortunate when he is knocked from his feet and buried beneath the rocks.

As the dust settles, those outside can see that the tunnel is now blocked by rubble, but at least the worm's gone. Clearing a path through would take you about two hours of hard work.

((Combats over))

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-10, 09:20 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland levers himself up to his hands and knees, shaking his head to clear it. Traps. I've gotta remember to keep an eye out for traps. He looks around, and realizes that it's completely and utterly dark. He can't see a thing. He has a tinderbox in his pack if he can find it, but being the only source of light is bound to draw attention, and he knows that there are things in these caves. He's going to need backup first.

"Dragul!" he hisses, loudly enough to carry. "You still alive?" The rocks probably got him. Or maybe the worm. It must have gotten the others, too. He felt a pang of guilt, but running had been the only option.

niks97cobra
2014-10-11, 02:20 AM
Strength check: [roll0]

Dragul pushes the rubble off of him. "Roland? Its kind of dark."

OOC
Can I not see with darkvision? Also -3 damage from heavy armor mastery.

Foodle
2014-10-11, 03:00 AM
Freed from the rubble Dragul can see that the tunnel continues further into the mountain. Roughly 40ft from where he stands the tunnel comes to a crossroads where it is intersected by another tunnel running perpendicular to it. The tunnels are 10ft wide and 10ft high, the wooden buttresses and crossbeams that support the ceiling are spaced at 10ft intervals along their length and have seen better days.

If he were to stand at the meeting of the tunnels he would see the one running eastwards continues on for another 40ft before the tunnel begins to descend and curves to the right out of sight.
The westward tunnel appears to just run straight as far as your vision allows to see, and the entrance tunnel continues southwards for about 50ft gradually descending and at the limit of your vision curving to the left.

Yep, you ended up taking 9 points.

You guys are entering the mines from the North.

niks97cobra
2014-10-11, 03:55 AM
"I guess they didn't make it. Should we wait for a while and dig out? I don't think just the two of us should continue. I don't want to dig out either. That worm could be waiting for dessert. I liked that owl, too." The dworc sighs. He starts to wipe his hand on the cave wall. "Stupid poo."

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-11, 09:49 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland sighs in relief when Dragul responds. "Yeah, we'll need to dig ourselves out, once the worm is gone." He bites his lip. "This is my fault. I shouldn't have run, or I should have at least checked for traps, or waited for the others, or something!"

Anubis Dread
2014-10-11, 01:13 PM
Huh... seems they'd already suffered 50% casualties. That was disappointing, but at least he wasn't one of them. Well okay he guessed it was 60% casualties because Mr. Spooky had gotten eaten, but he was an owl. He didn't count.

"Well... do you want to start digging?" Biggles asked as he sat down and began to flip through his spell book. "If we're going to clear the entrance it will take a while, so you might as well get started while I summon another disposable peon." This spell cost ten gold every time he cast it... if he lost more familiars like he lost Mr. Spooky he might well become bankrupt well before they found their first haul.

r2d2go
2014-10-11, 05:22 PM
Les' try diggin' through. Dwarves are hardy, an' tha' rogue's nimble. Don' call 'em "casualties" jus' yet.

Osrik pulls out his pickaxe and starts digging.

I just realized that my characterization in the opening is "booze-laden". Come one, the rest of my altruistic character is less than the booze?! :smalltongue:

Foodle
2014-10-11, 07:29 PM
20min or so passes and the sounds of digging and rocks moving could be heard by both parties, bringing relief that half of you had survived the falling rocks and the other half hadn't been eaten by the purple worm. A short time later and a dirt covered hand pops through the top of the cave-in and you can finally see each other. Another hour worth of digging and carrying rocks and you have created a passageway wide enough to walk through in single file.

As you are cleaning out the last of the rubble, Roland spots something carved into the floor at the center of the collapse. Closer inspection reveals that they appear to be dwarvish runes.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Handout2.png
Meanwhile, Biggles' summoning spell is complete and a short time later the air in a space next to him begins to shimmer and eventually resolves into the form of his familiar.

Updated the first post in the OOC thread with the dwarvish alphabet, those of you that can speak dwarvish can work out that it spells out "PAX" in dwarvish, which translates roughly to "Great" in common.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-11, 07:38 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"I'm glad you guys are all right!" Roland proclaims once they finally break through. He's tempted to hug them, but restrains himself to a manly pat on the back and a grunt. "What happened? Where's the worm? Did you beat it?"

"And what's this?" he asks as he notices the runes. "P-A-X. What's a pax? Is it anything like a pox? Oh gods, this place isn't full of a deadly disease, is it?"

r2d2go
2014-10-11, 07:41 PM
Hrm. Says "Great". Any ideas wha' tha' means fer us?

Osrik carefully studies the rune, stepping around it as he walks to his allies and pulls out one of his healing kits. Once done, he pulls out one of his flasks of hard liquor and takes a swig, sighing.

An' no, tha' wurm's still crawlin' about. Left us alone, though.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-11, 08:13 PM
"Looks like it's the trap trigger, whatever it is," Biggles noted, making sure he was well away from the entrance. On his shoulder was his new replacement familiar, Captain Spooky. Identical from the molting feathers to the unhappy looking glare from his last. The only small difference was that this owl was wearing a tiny beret. Biggles didn't know where it came from - Captain Spooky had just appeared with it on his head. He'd long ago learned to not question these things.

"Anyway, pleasantly surprised to see you both alive," the gnome continued, taking a further step back just to be safe. "Shall we proceed?"

Foodle
2014-10-11, 08:41 PM
With a closer examination Biggles can indeed confirm that it was a type of magical rune and the trap's trigger, but also the means of its deactivation by speaking the written pass code aloud. Though it now appears to be devoid of any power.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-11, 08:47 PM
"Ah, the thing is harmless now," Biggles realized, stepping in to line with his allies now he was certain it wouldn't trigger. "Just activating it the first time was enough to rob it of whatever magic it had left after all this time. Though that might well mean we're the first to ever venture into the mines who was stupid enough to fall for this trap," the wizard remarked dryly. Of course it could just be that them speaking the word out loud already had deactivated it temporarily, or it took time to reset. But he had no intention of making them feel better after they'd almost buried themselves alive.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-11, 10:57 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland snorts. "Or the only ones dumb enough to disturb the worm, so they have to run in here without a chance to check for traps. Whose idea was that, I wonder?" Roland starts searching through his pack, until he comes up with a lamp and some oil. Once the lantern's ready, he opens his tinderbox. After several minutes of striking sparks and cursing, he manages to get a taper lit and lights the lamp. He adjusts it carefully, so that it provides light to the floor in front of him. "All right, then, I'll take the lead and keep an eye out for traps. Dragul, keep close. In case we run into anything that needs an axe more than my tricks."

With Dungeon Delver, I can move at normal speed while watching for traps. I guess I'll be using both Investigation (+6) and Perception (+1) as needed. Also, I have advantage in locating secret doors.

Foodle
2014-10-11, 11:10 PM
The group makes their way into the mine, darkness pressing in around them as they leave the light of the day behind. Reaching the crossroads unharmed, they now must decide which direction to travel in.

Freed from the rubble Dragul can see that the tunnel continues further into the mountain. Roughly 40ft from where he stands the tunnel comes to a crossroads where it is intersected by another tunnel running perpendicular to it. The tunnels are 10ft wide and 10ft high, the wooden buttresses and crossbeams that support the ceiling are spaced at 10ft intervals along their length and have seen better days.

If he were to stand at the meeting of the tunnels he would see the one running eastwards continues on for another 40ft before the tunnel begins to descend and curves to the right out of sight.
The westward tunnel appears to just run straight as far as your vision allows to see, and the entrance tunnel continues southwards for about 50ft gradually descending and at the limit of your vision curving to the left.

You guys are entering the mines from the North.

r2d2go
2014-10-11, 11:22 PM
Hm. I think tha' "right hand rule" is a start, so les' go right?

Anubis Dread
2014-10-12, 12:22 AM
"Except the people who built this place are intentionally trying to kill us. If they're aware the right hand rule exists, the right hand tunnel is likely to be the worst," the gnome remarked dryly. He could detect magic to see if that would help... but it was a short lasting ritual that took a long time to perform. It was probably best to wait a little longer to cast it.

That did remind him though... muttering a few arcane words, Biggles was soon covered in a magical field that should protect him from harm. "That said, any arbitrary direction is as good as another," he went on. "Right should be fine."

Now seems as good a time as any to up Mage Armor.

niks97cobra
2014-10-12, 01:42 AM
"Right sounds good to me. I'm sure it is completely safe," says the dworc dryly. He stops for a moment to pet the new owl. "Cute little hat."

Foodle
2014-10-12, 02:28 AM
With the party deciding to employ the patented "Right-hand Rule", they set off down the westwards tunnel their eyes peeled for any traps or other nasties that might cause them some trouble. Luckily nothing is seen and even better, nothing explodes in their faces as they walk. Though Roland and Osrik do notice that while the aged buttresses dotting the tunnel are managing to keep the ceiling from falling on their heads, it wouldn't take much to destroy them should the need arise, possibly causing a minor collapse as they experienced first hand before.

As the group marches on they soon can hear the sound of clucking accompanied by random banging noises, as if something was hitting a hollow barrel. Ahead the tunnel splits into two paths, the path you're on now continues on and begins to curve to the right and slope downwards at a even gradient, but just before it starts it's spiral there is an opening leading off to the left and southwards. It is from here that the noises appear to be coming from.

You're currently 30ft from where the tunnel splits.

niks97cobra
2014-10-12, 02:51 AM
"It was nice knowing you Captain Spooky," the dworc chuckles.

r2d2go
2014-10-12, 02:58 AM
...yer sendin' tha' owl, aren't ye...

Osrik sighs and says a brief prayer, then takes another swig from one of his several flasks.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-12, 09:49 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

"You know," Roland whispers. "I might be able to sneak closer for a better look. Or I could, if I could see in the dark."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-12, 10:28 AM
"A fine idea" Biggles agreed. "Captain Spooky may be the pride and honor of the military, but he's still an owl. He'll be able to see in the dark just fine. And there's no point in sending more than one set of ten gold pieces- I mean, people, down to check it out. Any more and it just gets dangerous."

Picking up the grumpy looking owl from his shoulder, the gnome tossed the bird into the air where it took flight. 100 feet... that was the limit of their bond. If it went further than that he wouldn't have direct information. The wizard sighed as he wiped the bird droppings from his robe. Hopefully that would be a long enough tether.

Captain Spooky's Stealth: [roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-12, 01:46 PM
Captain Spooky glides down the tunnel on silent wings, the main passage disappears around the bend descending further into the ground, while the passage where the sounds were coming from isn't a passage at all but opens into a 50ft long, 10ft high, rough-hewn chamber that contains shovels, picks, stacks of wooden planks, buckets of nails, and piles of wooden beams amid three half-built wooden mine carts and three eerily lifelike statues of goblins brandishing spears.

An intact cart rests upside-down in the middle of the cave, its wooden wheels sticking up in the air. Four over sized chickens peck at the sides of the overturned cart, determined to get at whatever’s underneath. Captain Spooky can hear faint whimpering over the noise, coming from beneath the cart. They appear to be fixated on getting at whatever it is and aren't faced towards the entrance the owl is hovering in.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-12, 02:15 PM
Telepathically commanding Captain Spooky to return, the wizard turns to his comrades. "The sounds are chickens of all things. But more importantly, it leads to a chamber with no loot. I think we should just keep going down the main passage rather than investigate. There's another passage on the far side, but I doubt it's worth the trouble when we can take a safer route."

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-12, 02:24 PM
Roland--Human rogue

"Are you saying the chickens aren't safe? Are they something more dangerous that just look like chickens? " Roland asks.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-12, 02:48 PM
"Let me put it this way - have we come across something that HASN'T been absolute deadly and out to kill us so far?" Biggles replied. "I think it's safe to say that whether they're chickens, wolves or teddy bears, they're all equally deadly and wanting to remove our spleens forcibly through our chest cavity."

niks97cobra
2014-10-12, 03:41 PM
"I like chicken. Dad always said, a chicken head in the pocket is a snack for later."

Foodle
2014-10-12, 11:50 PM
The talk of chickens mixed with the statues of the goblins clicked together in Osrik's head and he realised they were no chickens, but cockatrice! Which at first glance can be mistaken for a type of chicken and usually just hunt small vermin but as the statues, which were actually petrified goblins, prove they can also be quite viscous little things and just a small scratch from their beaks has the chance of causing a similar fate to that of the goblins.

r2d2go
2014-10-13, 12:05 AM
...We dinnae want ta' go there. Birds wit' life-like statues next ta' them? I'd bet my booze tha' it's a cockatrice, an' jus' one can kill all o' us.

Osrik starts backing away.

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 12:37 AM
"Yeah, lets leave the chickens be. I'm not that hungry, and I still need to wash my hands before eating. Stupid poo." Dragul rubs his hand on the walls some more.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-13, 12:08 PM
"Like I said - everything is out to kill us. Oh I'd take my hand off that wall if I were you," Biggle's advised Dragul. "Let's just keep going on for now. They seem distracted enough they won't notice us passing by."

Which begged the question of what they were distracted by... likely more prey hiding under that cart. He was not interested in getting involved though, regardless of if that were the case or not.

Foodle
2014-10-13, 01:51 PM
The group decides to bypass the little room with it's eerie statues and monster chickens and with quick light steps passes it's entrance and begins to follow their main corridor down and around the bend, deeper below ground.
The air becomes more stale as you descend and before long the tunnel shortly takes another right turn, followed by another, then a hairpin left and continues on like this as you go. Whoever dug these tunnels must have been searching randomly for ore, or following a twisting vein, as you see evidence of cast off broken pickaxe handles and spots where the walls have been mined.

After 350ft or so, but what feels like much further, the tunnel levels off briefly before beginning to rise once more in a tight spiral. Not long after Roland notices something that causes him to stop.

At first glance the portion of the wall looked just like the rough-hewn walls around them, but his keen eyes picked up on the door set there that was blended to be hidden, though how to open it remained unknown to him.

The tunnel continues on from here a short way before taking another right turn and disappearing around the corner from sight.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-13, 05:31 PM
Roland-Human Rogue

Roland stops dead, looking at the wall. "That looks like a secret door. I wonder what's behind it." Roland begins looking for a mechanism.

[roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-13, 06:02 PM
By standing back and searching the walls, the floor and the nearby ceiling with his eyes and the light of his lantern. His light glints a rosy red off a small rock covered mostly in dust left of the ground next to one of the walls, probably a remnant of what the mines used to mine, but Roland doesn't find anything that looks like a mechanism that might open the door.

r2d2go
2014-10-13, 06:22 PM
Hrm. I might be able ta' figure somethin' out...

Investigate: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
If I get stonecunning (even though it's supposed to only be history now): [roll2]

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 06:39 PM
'Does that gnome not realize I am a dwarf?' the dworc ponders to himself. He pats the wall again, reassuring himself he knows safe wall from bad wall, rubbing the wall where the supposed door is.

Uh, Perception from touching the wall? [roll0] (It should have been +1 not -1 so 16.)

Foodle
2014-10-13, 07:11 PM
The group looks around for a way to open the door when Dragul tries the obvious answer, seeing if it's even locked, by patting it. Or attempting to, as the door glimmers slightly as the spell over it is dispersed and Dargul finds his hand is stuck as if with a strong glue.

Before the Dworc could take in what had happened, a fist sized portion of the wall starts to bulge outwards to his left before shooting out a long pseudopod at Osrik, narrowly missing the dwarf.

Surprise Round
Mimic Slam Attack @ Osrik

Initiative
Biggles: [roll2]
Roland: [roll3]
Dragul: [roll4]

Mimic: [roll6]

And.... we're in combat.
Combat *queues final fantasy random encounter music*
Biggles/Roland Turn -> Mimic -> Everyone

It takes an Action to make a DC12 STR check to unstick your hand Dragul (On your turn)

niks97cobra
2014-10-13, 07:35 PM
"Ack! Stupid poo! I'm never checking for traps again!" the dworc swears.

[roll0]

Anubis Dread
2014-10-13, 09:53 PM
"See? This is why I said for you to take your hand off the wall!" the gnome scolded, before shooting a bolt of necrotic energy at the creature. He was getting real sick of enemies who didn't need eyes to kill you.

Hm, tempted to try and poison it, but it looks like it will be a while before we rest. Using Chill Touch
On a hit it can't regain hit points until the start of Biggles next turn. Also if it's undead it has disadvantages to attack me, but I don't think mimics are undead.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-14, 07:25 AM
Roland-Human Rogue

Roland is just about to scoop up the gem while no one's looking when Dragul gets attacked by the door. Wait, what? How can a door . . . ? Deciding that now is not the time to worry about it, Roland draws his rapier and tries to stab the door. I just hope stabbin' works! Then he moves back, since he doesn't want to be attacked by the door next.

Action
Attack mimic
Draw rapier as part of attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
On sneak attack, [roll2]

Bonus
Disengage

Move
Move to fifteen feet from mimic

Foodle
2014-10-14, 01:33 PM
The mimic seems to shudder as Biggles necrotic bolt slams into it, it's body now freed of the stasis spell that had held it frozen for so long, was eager to move, dodging out of the of Rolands quick stab it lashes out with its pseudopod again, this time directed at the dworc already stuck to its sticky body. The appendage hits the Dragul squarely on the shoulder and sticks to him, tugging at his body.

Meanwhile as Roland moves away from the wall-come-to-life into what he assumed was a safer position, his light dimly illuminates into a room further into the tunnel and he quickly realizes that they've marched in a big loop as he can just make out the cockatrices still pecking away at the over-turned cart.
They'd need to be quiet and keep the light away, lest they draw the nasty birds' attention.

Slam @ Dragul with Advantage

Attack: [roll0] | [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] bludgeoning damage (-3 from feat = 5 Damage)
Dragul is now Grappled & Restrained
Grapple: Escape using your action to make a Athletics or Acrobatics check vs the Mimic's Athletic check (Roll your's and it's if you do this, Mimic's bonus is +3)
Retrained: Escape using your action to make a STR check DC 12

You guys should be able to move yourselves around on the map, just put =Roland or =Biggles where your character wants to move to (each square is 5ft), then delete the previous instance of yourself on the map.
I took the liberty of moving Roland to the left away from the mimic, as that's the side he would have needed to attack from.

Entire Party can go now.

r2d2go
2014-10-14, 03:54 PM
Effin' door...

Osrik smashes the mimic with his hammer.

Foodle
2014-10-14, 03:59 PM
Osrik's hammer slams into the door-mimic... and stays there, stuck fast much like Dragul's hand.

Your hammer is stuck. You can pull it free using your action to make a STR check DC 12. Or leave it stuck on it until later and use a different weapon.

r2d2go
2014-10-14, 04:09 PM
Guess I shoulda' known...

Osrik lets go of his hammer and pulls out a spear instead.

niks97cobra
2014-10-14, 04:10 PM
Myself: [roll0]
Mimic: [roll1]

Dragul pulls himself away from the Mimic, readying himself to attack next chance he gets.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-14, 05:39 PM
Roland-Human Rogue

"Shhh!" he hisses. "There are evil chickens that way. Fight quietly."

He then rushes in to stab at the door again. If he loses his sword, he lets go and backs up, lowering his lantern to the ground.

Bonus
Disengage

Move
Move to attack, back up afterward

Action
[roll0]
[roll1]

If sneak attack, [roll2]

Anubis Dread
2014-10-14, 10:20 PM
Hm, interesting... it seemed as though this creature was an adhesive. The wizard back up a little to be safe, before unleashing another bolt of necrotic energy. If the chickens did notice them, it wouldn't do to be out of good spells before they attacked.

Chill Touch: [roll0]
Forgot about this last time, but on crit add: [roll2]

Foodle
2014-10-14, 10:52 PM
The mimic visibly sags when Roland's weapon pierces into it's sticky body, it quickly recovers though flinging out another pseudopod at the dwarf that lost his weapon just moments before.

Slam Attack @ Osrik

Attack: [roll0]; MISS

The Parties Turn

niks97cobra
2014-10-14, 11:05 PM
Dragul swings his battleaxe at the mimic...

To Hit: [roll0]
Crit: [roll2]

and he is so anxious to try and score his first hit, he nearly falls into the creature.

r2d2go
2014-10-14, 11:15 PM
Osrik stabs the mimic, trying to keep quiet as to not disturb the cockatrices.

Attack:[roll0]

Anubis Dread
2014-10-14, 11:49 PM
That last shot had been positively anti-climatic! A mere trickle of his arcane power! Feeling the need to reassert his magehood, Biggins shoots another necrotic ray.

Chill Touch: [roll0]
On Crit Add: [roll2]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-15, 07:27 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Well, if I can't do anymore stabbing', I better try shootin'. Roland retrieves his bow, nocks an arrow, and fires of a shot.

Action
Draw bow and fire
[roll0]
[roll1]
Sneak attack
[roll2]
Crit: +16 damage
30 damage total

Foodle
2014-10-15, 02:21 PM
The mimic staggers backwards under the combined assault of the party, half it's sticky body left hanging loosely, torn from the rest of it by Roland's arrow. Collapsing against the wall it shudders, then lays still, the weapons stuck to it falling to the ground and the sticky substance covering it's body liquefying and running into the stone floor of the tunnel it has just revealed.

The tunnel that the mimic had been concealing continues on a short way before taking a left turn, where another tunnel branches off it to the right, otherwise the tunnel continues onwards untill it intersects another passage running at a slope, downwards and to the right, that lies perpendicular to it.

So far the cockatrices haven't noticed the group as they're far to focused trying to get at whatever is under the mine cart.

Where to next?

Anubis Dread
2014-10-15, 04:15 PM
Huh, guess it was a good thing they came across that mimic after all if it had a hidden passage behind it. The only reason there'd be a mimic guarding it was if it was safer than other passages and some-one wanted to block it off, or there stuff beyond it was more valuable thant the stuff down some other passages. Or it just like sitting there. Whatever the case the choice seemed obvious.

"Well? Who's going first?" Biggles asked. "Aside from you Captain Spooky," he added, tossing the surprised owl into the air, which reluctantly began scouting out the new passageway that had opened up.

Foodle
2014-10-15, 04:39 PM
The brave Cpt Spooky takes off and takes the first right down the southern tunnel, the short tunnel straightens out with two 10ft wide mine shafts, one at each end before continuing on outside of the reach of Biggles telepathic link. Dangling from the roof of the northern shaft is a rickety lift—a wooden framework with no walls and a floor made of dusty planks—fastened to a system of frayed ropes, iron pulleys, and stone counterweights. While at the end of the chamber loose ropes hang from rusted pulleys mounted to the roof of the otherwise empty mine shaft. Above both shafts are dwarven runes carved into the rock.

Fluttering back to the main tunnel, the owl flies off the other direction arriving at the intersection of the tunnels. Looking to the right, the owl see a steady 20deg downwards slope before the tunnel curves around a corner. Looking back to the left causes the bird to duck back into the main tunnel. Set into an alcove at the end of the tunnel is a 10ft-diameter ball of solid obsidian. At the limit of his link in this direction also, Cpt Spooky flies back to Biggles.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-15, 04:50 PM
Interesting... placing his faithful familiar back onto his bird poop caked shoulder, the gnome shares what he'd learned before advising on a course of action.

"The life seems a death sentence, honestly. Even if it wasn't trapped I doubt it could take another trip without falling apart and causing us all to fall to our deaths," the gnome nodded. "That leaves the passage away that heads the other way. The ball of obsidian is a might suspicious, but it might be worth looking at. Bound to be safer than those chickens or lift anyway."

Foodle
2014-10-15, 05:10 PM
The obsidian ball is just that, a almost perfectly spherical ball of obsidian that must weigh tons and almost fills the alcove where it rests. Looking it at does bring to mind an old text you once read detailing the adventurers of a young human archaeologist.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-15, 05:23 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"I'm wondering if we should do something about those chickens now, while we can get a drop on them, rather than waiting until later. Besides, it seems like they have someone trapped in there."

After he retrieves his sword, Roland bends to pick up the gem he spotted earlier.

niks97cobra
2014-10-15, 08:10 PM
"I'm not even good at fighting," the dworc complains about his poor attempt at killing the wall looking creature. "Stupid poo made my axe slip."

Dragul wipes his hand on the giant obsidian ball. Pushing it as hard as he can down the incline.

Am I seeing this right (in my head)? Its like an Indiana Jones kinda ball? Can I pull it out and let it roll kind of thing?

If so:
[roll0]

r2d2go
2014-10-15, 08:34 PM
Dragul! Are ye tryin' to get all o' us killed?! Osrik speaks in a loud whisper, grabbing Dragul's arm before he can shove the massive, prone-to-rolling boulder. Everythin' here is trying' to kill us, remember? Dinnae go an' wake every monster by havin' a ton o' obsidian crush everythin'.

If he manages to convince Dragul, Osrik retrieves his hammer and spear, then goes to look at the dwarvern runes, carefully tapping the ground with a spear in hopes of avoiding some amount of traps.

Foodle
2014-10-15, 09:10 PM
The great obsidian ball doesn't budge an inch from Dragul's pushing, all he manages to do is wipe his hand clean.

Northern Mine Shaft
Southern Mine Shaft

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Handout7.png
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Handout8.png

Osrik encounters no traps on his walk towards the mine shafts and the rickety looking lifts. As a dwarf he knows that mine shafts are generally named in honor of dwarven kings so he's not surprised to see VALNORN carved in the dwarvish runes above the northern shaft and TORCHA above the southern one.

If he steps to the edge to peer into them he notes that while the shafts are lined with rotting support beams and crossbeams that offer plenty of handholds, it might be possible to climb down the 60ft or so to the level below. The lift of the northern shaft is currently on this level, while the southern shaft just has some loose ropes hanging from rusted pulleys mounted to the roof of this otherwise empty mine shaft, the lift barely visible on the ground below.

r2d2go
2014-10-15, 09:56 PM
Tha' runes jus' say tha' names o' great dwarven kings... Valnorn an' Torcha. Looks like tha' old supports could let ye' climb... I dinnae like tha' look o' it tho.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-15, 10:08 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"So that's no on killing the chickens, huh?" he says, following the others down the hall. Recalling the trouble they ran into earlier, he starts checking for traps.

OOC: Anything on that gem--assuming that's what it was--that Roland picked up earlier?

Anubis Dread
2014-10-15, 10:27 PM
"I think Dragul actually has a good idea here. Horrible, HORRIBLE execution, but a sound idea," Biggles remarked. Triggering the boulder before they went down the passage was by far the best thing to do. The only question was how to do so without risking anyone. He could actually feel the owl on his shoulder tense up, as if he could sense what was coming.

"Captain Spooky, be a good little owl and walk down this passage won't you?" the gnome requested, gently setting the owl on the ground. If the boulder triggered, he could just dismiss Captain Spooky before he was crushed. Of course that assumed the owl was heavy enough to trigger whatever trap triggered the boulder...

Preparing an action to Dismiss Captain Spooky into his pokeball pocket dimension.

Foodle
2014-10-15, 11:17 PM
Once dusted off Roland held a cloudy red crystal like gemstone that appeared to be almost to any amount of pressure stronger than pinching it between his two fingers. Putting together the look and colour of the gem with half remembered stories heard in the inns as they made their way towards the mountain, he was pretty sure the gem he held was Krimsonite, a gem only found in these mines and mined heavily by the Glitterdark Mining Consortium years ago. They'd had high hopes for the gem, but it was too brittle and shattered when jewelers tried to shape it and eventually the mine had been sold off.
All in all, the gem was worthless if sold. But it might be pretty trinket, useful in boasting of their tale, should he survive to boast.

Cpt. Spooky sets off in a well executed march, chest up, legs moving perfectly in time to a unheard beat. Passing around the corner, the tunnel continues to turn clockwise in a steady descent. When he gets halfway around the corkscrew the Obsidian ball lurches and begins to roll down the slope, gaining momentum as it goes and Cpt. Spooky disappears in a flash of light and returns to Biggles side.

The ball can be heard rolling around the walls below you and about 15sec later, reappears sitting still in the alcove where it started.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-15, 11:58 PM
"...what."

Alright, so it seemed as though there was a loop to this. The boulder rolled down, gained momentum, then... rolled back up to exactly where it was before? That was impossible! That was effectively perpetual motion, or at least something damn close to it! There had to be magic involved. Whether there was or not, the trap seemed pretty easy to work out.

His mind turning with the thrill of solving a puzzle, Biggles forgot caution entirely as he relayed his plan to his comrades. "Okay, so here's what we can do - I send in Captain Spooky to trigger it again. Once it triggers, we all chase after the boulder past the area that triggers it. That way we'll be perfectly safe even if we trigger it again, because the boulder isn't in the alcove at the time! And we have more time to get to wherever this passage leads than if we were being chased by the boulder!"

r2d2go
2014-10-16, 12:51 AM
Ye' sure about tha'?

Osrik sighs, then takes another swig from his flask. Les' jus' do this quick...

niks97cobra
2014-10-16, 02:01 AM
"I like the idea. My dad used to play chase the ball with me all the time." The dworc scratches the back of his head where there are several large lumps.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-16, 07:58 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

" We could try disarming the trap," Roland says.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-16, 12:03 PM
"We could definitely do it. But Captain Spooky doesn't have hands to use thieve's tools, and I can't magically conjure you back onto my shoudler," the wizard remarked wryly.

Foodle
2014-10-16, 09:19 PM
The gnomes point made, the party is gathered to venture forth and Cpt Spooky is set on the ground and sent on his way, once again marching down the tunnel. Not long after, the trap is again triggered the obsidian ball rolls free of it's alcove and Biggles summons his familiar back to his side as the group of treasure seekers chase close behind the rolling ball.

The tunnel winds around and down, straightening out and curving into another downwards loop, the ball quickly outpaces the running party and disappears around one of the corners ahead. Seconds later you can hear it crash into a wall before the sound of it's rolling stops suddenly.

As you come to the end of the chute a tunnel branches off to the right, and ahead at the end of the tunnel is another alcove with a smoothed dent in the wall. Though the obsidian ball is nowhere to be seen, you can only assume that it was teleported back to the place you originally found it.

Continuing down this new tunnel you take another right and ahead the tunnel forms a U shape as it curves back toward the north. At the southernmost point on the curve, you hear a dreadful moaning sound coming from somewhere beyond the wall. Around the bend the stretch of tunnel crosses over two mine shafts spaced 10 feet apart. Each gap is bridged by a pair of dusty wooden planks. Carved into a crossbeam above each shaft is a single word in Dwarvish script.

Southern Mine Shaft
Northern Mine Shaft

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Handout6.png
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Handout5.png

Across these two mine shafts you can make out the shape of a oaken door set in the a wall at the end of the tunnel.

Leaving you guys at the bottom of the U Bend, near the wall you can hear the moaning through.

niks97cobra
2014-10-17, 12:35 AM
"We can jump it, I don't trust them boards," Dragul says, looking at the mine shafts.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-17, 12:17 PM
"Unless someone wants to carry me, I doubt I could make it. Not without using some precious arcane power anyway," Biggles remarked. The boards really didn't look very safe though, and he didn't trust those boards either...

"Do we have enough rope to make our own bridge? If we just support the boards with rope it might be enough," the gnome remarked.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-17, 05:12 PM
Roland - Human rogue

Listening to the moaning, Roland decides that there might be something behind it, so he begins to look at the wall, searching for a clue to what's beyond.

[roll0]
[roll1] (advantage to find secret doors)

Foodle
2014-10-17, 07:03 PM
Roland finds no secret doors or hidden levers in his search of the wall. Though he does notice several small natural holes which tunnel through the rock. The wall probably isn't very thick which would explain how the sound is coming through. Osrik with his pick axe could probably make a big enough hole in an hour or so to allow the party passage, if you had managed to pick up some of the mining equipment from the room full of cockatrices, everyone working at the wall would have sped things up. Unfortunately there is that massive boulder ready to roll on top of you back the way you came.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-18, 12:29 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

"I think we can break through this," Roland tells the others. "There's something on the other side, but I don't know what."

niks97cobra
2014-10-18, 02:07 AM
"I bet I could hit the wall," the dworc continues to complain about his poor showing in the first fight.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-18, 01:10 PM
"Well, get digging then. It sure beats crossing a pit full of zomboids or the like," Biggles remarked. With all that moaning there had to be zomboids around here SOMEWHERE. Skeleghouls didn't make that kind of noise, and he doubted it was a goost.

Come to think of it though, if they were going to be stuck in place for a while it wouldn't hurt to spend some time being cautious. The gnome sets about casting some rituals to ensure the immediate area is clear, before setting some wards to make sure it stays that way.

Casting Detect Magic as a Ritual to look around and see if anything pings. If it doesn't, casting Alarm as a ritual twice to cover both the way ahead and the way back.

Foodle
2014-10-18, 09:37 PM
With the mine shafts looking like the less favourable course, Dragul borrows the pickaxe from Osrik and starts chipping away at the stone wall.

While Dragul does his thing with the wall, Biggles set about securing the passage magically. His detect magic spell reveals nothing around them, but when he walks back up the passage a short way he can see a strong glow associated with conjuration magic radiating out from the alcove the obsidian ball finished it's path in. He finds no other signs of magic though, and goes about performing the rituals needed for his warning spells, Placing one at the start of the passage leading off the obsidian balls ramp and the other on this side of the southern mine shaft.

As he sets the second Alarm spell he can't help but notice that the mine shaft in front of him only appears to be about 30ft deep and at the bottom of it a passageway leads off to the east.

Sweating now with the effort of his work Dragul finally breaks through the last of the wall in front of him. Beyond lies a dark, skull-shaped cave with a rounded ceiling 20 feet high. Rising up from the floor in the middle of the room is a freestanding, 9-foot-tall, rectangular archway of warped black stone filled with a glowing purple haze and snowflake-like particles. The dread moaning issues from this sinister gateway.

As the light from Rolands lantern pierces into the darkness of the cavern and falls on the gateway, a guttural voice emanates from the portal and says, “Your light is not welcome here.”

r2d2go
2014-10-18, 10:42 PM
...damn.

Osrik pulls out his hammer, and readies himself to make a prayer if the group has to fight.

Draw hammer, ready Bless for if combat starts.

niks97cobra
2014-10-19, 02:27 AM
"Uh, so if light bothers you so much, does that mean we have to kill you?" Dragul questions.

Foodle
2014-10-19, 03:45 AM
A wheezing coughing sound is the only reply you receive in what you can only assume to be laughter at your threat, and the portal remains unchanged.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-19, 11:53 AM
Alright, so there was a swirling mass of purple energy in front of them. It had been sealed off, meaning someone had sealed it off at one point in the past. Just blocking the thing back up was an option, but probably not a practical one. And just leaving it seemed like an awful idea. After running, avoiding, and generally bumbling few this mine with no spine to speak of, it was time to put their foot down and fight. Probably.

"So... are you in the portal, or are you the portal?" Biggles asked, gently placing a hand on Dragul's blade as he spoke. Infusing it with magic energy... he'd be kind of ticked if they DIDN'T fight at this point as they were wasting a lot of their magic... the gnome considered tossing the good Captain in to see if there was anything beyond. And decided for now that would be a bad idea.

Casing Magic Weapon. If that thing IS in hell, it's the only way we'll punch through it's DR

Foodle
2014-10-19, 05:23 PM
A human head with a pig snout stitched onto it pokes through the portal in response to the continued questions, its gaze finding the source of the light before quickly ducking back within the portal. "Warm flesh..." can be heard echo'd by strange voices coming from the portal.

Seconds later four similar looking zombies holding golden swords and covered with patches of pigs skin stitched to their bodies emerge from the swirling purple haze and begin advancing towards the party as Osrik utters a quick prayer blessing the party.

I guess there might be similarities... :smallbiggrin:

InitiativeBiggles: [roll0]
Roland: [roll1]
Dragul: [roll2]
Osrik: [roll3]

Oink Zombies: [roll4]
Something else: [roll5]

Party gets to act first!

@Osrik
Which three party members are effected by bless?

@Dragul
Your weapon is currently a +1 weapon while Biggles maintains concentration. So make sure to add +1 to your attacks/damage.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-19, 06:13 PM
Zomboids! Not just any zomboid either! These were the genus oinkus zomboidous, a rather rare variety! So rare in fact that the page in the Necrognomicon that depicted them had little information other than 'smells good when on fire'. The page also smelled of alcohol and vomit, as if to empathize their usual smell to contrast it with how they smelt ablaze.

But Biggle was not the type of mage to throw out fireballs - he didn't have any balls at all in fact! Well technical he had two, but... shaking his head, the gnome raised a hand and muttered out a spell to attempt to take one one of the zombies.

Chill Touch on Zombie B.

r2d2go
2014-10-19, 06:13 PM
Osrik blesses everyone but himself, then moves just within the room - close enough to act effectively whether the party wanted to establish a choke point or charge in. He then mutters a short prayer and jabs a finger at the closest zombie, attempting to light it with sacred flame.

Move to N7, Sacred Flame on N9, [roll0] for dex save, on failure [roll1] damage.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-19, 06:26 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Great, zombies," Roland mutters. He hated zombies, for reasons that were too long and involved to get into.

He charges into the room, drawing his sword as he attacks one of the zombies, and then falls back before the zombie can lash out at him.

Bonus
Disengage - no opportunity attacks

Move
Move close enough to attack zombie C, attack zombie C, and then move back.

Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

If he's unconscious, I think Roland has advantage, and any hit is a critical hit. So if that's true, the following applies:
[roll2] (Take the better of the two attack rolls)

Extra damage:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Don't think that's true. Zombies appear to be immune to sleep.

Foodle
2014-10-19, 07:58 PM
The party flies into action, throwing spells and blades at the creatures from beyond the portal. Osrik's spell slams one of the Oink Zombies into the ground, but seconds later it climbs back to it's feet ready to fight again, while Roland's foe collapses backwards, where it struggles for a second before laying unmoving on the dusty floor.

Dragul's turn still.

niks97cobra
2014-10-20, 01:18 AM
Dragul maneuvers himself into battle, hoping to redeem himself for his poor showing thus far...

Attack
Zombie C
Attack: 1d20+7 + bless 1d4 Not sure what I messed up, but rolled in OOC, Attack is +15
Damage: [roll0]

If successful, sweeping strike on Zombie A
Same attack roll.

Foodle
2014-10-20, 01:41 AM
Dragul quickly plants his axe in the Oink Zombie that had regained it's feet. Putting it down for good this time, it's golden sword flying from it's hand to clatter on the ground.
Meanwhile the two still moving press closer and engage Roland and Dragul though not with much success.

Oink Zombie A
Moves to K9
Longsword @ Roland

Oink Zombie B
Moves to M9
Longsword @ Dragul

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Skittering can be heard through the glowing gateway and four Deathstalkers emerge very much alive and all legs, vaguely spider-like, they scatter as they make it free of the portal.

The Parties turn again.

niks97cobra
2014-10-20, 02:08 AM
Dragul sighs in relief as he downs his target. "Stupid poo."

He brings his axe down upon his next victim.

v. Z B
Bless: [roll1]

niks97cobra
2014-10-20, 02:10 AM
(got trigger happy and forgot in my last post.) Damage [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-20, 10:08 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland stabs the nearest zombie, bloodying it but not killing it, before retreating. Meanwhile, it's the spider-things that hold his attention."What are those things?" Roland demands, trying to watch all of them at once.

Attack
Attack zombie A with rapier
[roll0] + [roll1] = 11
[roll2]

Bonus
Disengage

Move
Move to L7

r2d2go
2014-10-20, 10:13 PM
I cannae be sure... but les' deal wit' them.

Osrik invokes holy fire again, engulfing the nearby spider creature.

As the spider appears severely injured by the flame, he grins and mutters to himself. Na' too tough...

[roll0], [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2014-10-20, 10:39 PM
"They're spinderlings!" Biggles warned, moving into position before unleashing a bout of magical energy to put some of them to sleep. "They're known for webbing your feet together and pushing you over! Be careful not to let them get between your boots!" Figuring he'd done all he could, the gnome immediately moved back to his position near the door.

Sleep on A and C - for realz this time!
[roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-21, 12:38 AM
Osrik's spell scorches one of the spider demon things and then Biggle's spell drops three of them onto the ground asleep, while the final Oink zombie takes a nasty jab from Roland, his other friend having been left a mess on the floor by Dragul's axe.
Pressing forward, following the rogue the last surviving Oink zombie is desperate to get at Roland, his fleeing meal. Then Biggles was proved wrong when the last Deathstalker left awake skittered across the room in front of Dragul, where it bobbed up and down for a second before exploding and a mess of necrotic muck.

Oink Zombie A
Move to K7
Longsword @ Roland

Attack:
Damage: 1d8+2[/roll]

Deathstalker D
Move to M9
Use Explode! (DC11; Save for Half Damage)

Damage: [roll1] necrotic damage
Dragul Dex Save: [roll2]; SUCCESS
Osrik Dex Save: [roll3]; FAILURE
Roland Dex Save: [roll4]; FAILURE
Oink Zombie A Dex Save: [roll5]; FAILURE
Deathstalker A Dex Save: Auto-Fails Dex saves (Immune to Necrotic Damage), Wakes up.

The force of the explosion knocking the Oink Zombie from it's feet and rocking the nearest Deathstalker awake, which then climbs slowly to it's legs, followed shortly after by the Oink Zombie rising again. In the wake of the explosion, more skittering can be heard from beyond the portal. Though nothing emerges.

The Parties Turn

@Osrik
Roll vs DC10 a Concentration check for your bless spell.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-21, 12:07 PM
...huh. You'd think the Necrognomicon would have mentioned that the spiderlings self-destructed. Was that the solution to the criptic 'OH SHI-' at the bottom of the page?

For now though, they needed to take out what was left of these assorted undeadies and close the portal! Or... keep killing the things that spilled out of it and go through. If there were this many things in there, they had to be guarding something good right? Like gold! Or soup! ...he was... he was feeling kind of hungry.

Knowing that he had to take out the final spiderling before it blew, the gnome moved out of his position near the door to get a clear shot and blasting it with a bolt of cold death.

Chill Touch on Deathstalker A:

I'm afb right now and will be for about 10 hours, so if someone wants to plug this into the sheet I definitely wouldn't mind.

[/spoiler]

r2d2go
2014-10-21, 12:44 PM
Seeing Biggles finish off the waking spider, Osrik considers for a moment, then moves to execute one of the sleeping spiders before anything else came out of the portal.

Move next to spider (O11), auto-crit for [roll0].
Concentration check: [roll1]

niks97cobra
2014-10-21, 12:50 PM
Dragul moves to attack the final zombie, swinging his battleaxe at the undead.

Attack: [roll0] + bless [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
On crit: [roll3]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-21, 01:14 PM
Roland - Human Rogue
HP 4/22

Once he's sure that the spider-things don't explode when they die, Roland staggers over to the remaining one, clutching his stomach from the nausea caused by the first spider-thing, and sticks his rapier into it before falling back. "I could use some healing," he mutters once it's done.

Move
Move to K11

Attack
Attack Deatheater B
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] + [roll4] = 28

Move
Move back to K9

Foodle
2014-10-21, 04:06 PM
The sounds of battle die out and you look around the room covered in corpses and catch your breaths, then the skittering within the portal is suddenly louder as four more of the Deathstalkers burst through and scurry about the room, one of them exploding next to Osrik, bathing Dragul and him in Deathstalker pieces. While another speeds towards Roland and does the same. The other two move further into the room looking for the source of the magic that sent their predecessors to sleep.

Deathstalker H
Move to N10
Use Explode! (Dex save vs DC11; Save for Half)

Damage: [roll0]
Osrik Dex Save: [roll1]; SUCCESS
Dragul Dex Save: [roll2] + Bless: [roll3]; SUCCESS

Deathstalker G
Move to J10
Use Explode! (Dex save vs DC11; Save for Half)

Damage: [roll4]
Roland Dex Save: [roll5] + Bless: [roll6]; SUCCESS
Dragul Dex Save: [roll7] + Bless: [roll8]; FAILURE

Parties Turn

@Osrik
Another DC10 Concentration check.

r2d2go
2014-10-21, 04:26 PM
Ach... We need ta' move away, enough ta' kill 'em before they explode...

Osrik smashes the nearby spider with his hammer before retreating in front of the opening and restoring some of Roland's health with a healing word.

Smash spider: [roll0], [roll1]
Move to N7

Anubis Dread
2014-10-21, 11:53 PM
One final enemy... at least for now. Who knew what else was in that portal. Captain Spooky would get to be an explorer! But for now he had another use for the owl.

"Captain Spooky, lightning talon!" the wizard declared, moving into the room before throwing the owl at the last remaining spider. Grumpily catching it's wings in mid flight, the familiar flew out to hit the spiderling before returning to its master.

Shocking Grasp: [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-22, 12:39 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland breathes a sigh of relief as Osrik's healing washes over him. He hurries after the others, pausing only to poke the last spider, if it's not already dead, before following the others beyond the doorway. He does not want to be out in the open if more of those things come through.

I think that Crit probably did it in, but if not:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Move past doorway

Foodle
2014-10-22, 01:56 AM
Cpt Spooky delivers Biggles spell and it was super effective, dropping the Deathstalker to the ground where it lay unmoving. Roland sticks it for good measure as he runs pasts and heads back to the tunnel area.

No further enemies emerge from the portal, though the incessant moaning continues unabated from beyond.

You're out of combat

niks97cobra
2014-10-22, 02:23 AM
"Well, I feel a bit better," the half-orc says, stretching his arms out in front of him and twisting to crack his back.

r2d2go
2014-10-22, 11:19 AM
Les' patch you up...

Osrik uses his kit on Roland and channels healing energy into Dragul, then uses the kit on himself as well.

Heal on Roland: [roll0]
Heal on Dragul: 1 from Channel Divinity, [roll1] from CLW
Heal on self: [roll2] +3 so 11

Anubis Dread
2014-10-22, 12:15 PM
"Those spiderlings were more than a little surprising. I wonder what else is in that portal?" the gnome mused, before eyeing his familiar. Captain Spooky just looked at the wizard back with an unamused expression, before trotting off towards the portal.

They weren't ready to go through yet. They should likely rest up. But it was best to know what was beyond before they took the time to catch their breath.

Foodle
2014-10-22, 02:44 PM
Cpt Spooky marches forward towards the portal, the moaning getting louder and more desperate as he gets closer. Stepping through the purple haze and into what was beyond Biggles immediately can tell this is a different plane and Cpt Spooky briefly sees a very narrow corridor and the source of the moaning, half formed bodies alive and protruding from the walls, before he is grabbed by one of the arms, and then another. All pulling him in different directions with inhuman strength, literally tearing him apart.

Outside the portal you hear the moaning quiet for a few seconds, only to increase again louder than before when their meal vanishes back to the plane of existence it was summoned from, released from it's service to Biggles with it's death.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-22, 02:49 PM
"...who here likes corridors made of super-naturally powerful human bodies?" the gnome remarks as he loses contact with his familiar. "If the answer is 'no-one', you are correct! If anyone raises their hand, they can be the first ones through." Seriously, that portal looked like it was just begging for trouble.

Sighing, the wizard sits down and begins to peform another ritual. If they didn't find some treasure soon this would be the last familiar he'd have in a while.

Assuming we have ten minutes of down time, casting Find Familiar as a ritual.

r2d2go
2014-10-22, 03:26 PM
Osrik takes another swig and mutters quietly. I've got a bit o' gold, but ye' got ta' stop killin' off yer owls... He glares at Biggles for a moment before passing over ten gold coins and picking up the golden swords off the zombies.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-22, 05:00 PM
"I make no promises," the wizard replied, taking the gold regardless and continuing the ritual.

Some minutes later, a poof of smoke appeared, and yet another molting, grumpy looking owl emerged. This one bore a rather striking monocole in one eye. Holding out his arm, Biggles let the new familiar crawl back up to the customary pirch on his shoulder.

"Hello there Baron Von Spooky," the wizard greeted, idly feeding the owl a little bit of pig flesh. Er, pig man flesh. Man pig flesh? "The portal is a no go, and getting back up past the boulder is going to be difficult at best. It looks like we should poke down one of the other passages to see if we can find another way around after a quick rest," Biggles proposed.

Foodle
2014-10-22, 05:18 PM
With Biggles' spells guarding the approach from the tunnels and the portal having exhausted it's supply of untrapped bodies, you are able to spend an hour resting and tending wounds without anything trying to kill you.

If you wish to spend any HD to regain your HP you may do so.
Biggles benefits from arcane recovery, replenishing 2 levels of spell slots (3/2=1.5, rounded up). Osrik regains the use of his channel divinity.
Bless & Magic Weapon both fade.

niks97cobra
2014-10-23, 04:30 AM
"Thanks for the heal," Dragul says to Osrik. "Guess we are jumping the pits after all?"

Dragul relaxes during the rest, sipping on his flask and talks quietly to Baron Von Spooky.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-23, 09:13 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland wanders over to the chasm, peering down into it. "Hmm," he says. "I could . . . maybe . . . jump it, but it would be risky. I wonder if there's anything down there." He lets his lantern's light play over the chasm bottom.

Foodle
2014-10-23, 09:20 PM
All you can see from where you stand at the top of the mine shaft is the start of another empty tunnel clear of all debris leading off into darkness to the east.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-23, 09:36 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Anyone want to skip the jump and just climb down there and see where that leads?" Roland asks.

r2d2go
2014-10-23, 11:22 PM
Are ye' volunteerin'? Osrik chuckles before continuing. Les' get some rope up, an' mebbe ye won' even need ta' climb. He takes the rope out of his pack and looks for something to affix it to, or if nothing starts wrapping it around his hand.

Foodle
2014-10-23, 11:48 PM
Osrik spots one of the nearby buttresses supporting the tunnel ceiling with enough room around the sides to slip a piece of rope through and tie off.

niks97cobra
2014-10-24, 02:28 AM
"I bet that is where the big rolling ball of death disappears to before going back to its starting spot... so you go ahead. I'll wait on the other side. Hope there is no poo." Dragul finally makes a decision on his own, not because he was impatient, or wanted to fight... no, Dragul really wants to jump this.

Dragul attempts to jump to the middle and then to the far side.

If for any reason a roll is needed, here is a d20. [roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-24, 03:24 AM
With a running leap Dragul clears the first mine shaft with ease. Landing on the middle platform he doesn't slow and runs for the edge of the next mine shaft leaping it safely and skidding to a stop on the far side near the oaken door. This close to the door Dragul can see an iron handle with no lock, but also no visible hinges, indicating the door must open away from him.

niks97cobra
2014-10-24, 03:38 AM
Dragul tosses a rope to the far side. "Hey Spooky 4, err 3... come on across."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-24, 12:24 PM
"No a bad idea. Von Spooky, be a good owl and carry that rope accross," Biggles commanded his familiar. Which just looked at him with a thoroughly unamused expression, it's monocle glinting in the torchlight. "Fine, fine. BARON Von Spooky, carry the rope across," the gnome corrected.

Lurching down off the gnomes arm, the mottled owl took the rope in one hand and flew back across, following Dragul's instructions.

Foodle
2014-10-24, 04:54 PM
With no small amount of difficulty the small owl manages to ferry the rope across to Dragul, as he flaps his way over the northern mine shaft his keen owlish sight notices that this shaft is also 30ft deep with a tunnel leading eastwards at the bottom. The owls eyes also pick up what Rolands missed in that bottom of the shaft and the tunnel leading eastwards seem to be really clean, free of even dust.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-25, 12:43 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"So what are we doing again?" Roland says. "Are we jumping or climbing down?"

niks97cobra
2014-10-26, 03:33 PM
"I'm waiting on you over here," Dragul calls. He holds tightly onto his side of the rope.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-26, 06:26 PM
So they were just supposed to... walk across while holding onto their impromptu rope aids? Biggles supposed it was better than just walking across the plank with no support. He did not want to be the first one across... but even he had to admit that it made sense for the lightest to go first to test things out.

"Very well," the wizard sighs, holding onto the secure ropes and slowly working his way across the plank.

I am guessing we either secured the ropes or someone on each end is holding them? Ideally considering how light Biggles is and that he has extra aid from the ropes he doesn't need a check to walk across the plank, but if he does...

Athletics: [roll0]

Foodle
2014-10-26, 07:52 PM
The rope tied securely around one of the timber buttresses lining the tunnel and the other end held tightly in Draguls strong hands, Biggles starts to cross the mine shaft the rope held tightly in his small hands and tucked up under his armpit. He had made it a couple of steps onto the planks while looking in sturdy from above begin to sag and break apart under his feet, severely weakened underneath by termites. Bouncing on the rope as the boards and his feet fall out beneath him, the small gnomes grip loosens on the rope and he drops from sight into the shaft, landing roughly on the floor 30ft below.

Baron von Spooky quickly flaps over and it is through him that Biggles becomes aware he's not alone down here. Coming slowly around the corner the owl catches sight of the reason the tunnel is so clean when it spots the telltale bending of it's vision passing through a Gelatinous Cube.

Falling Damage: [roll0]; You land prone, but would have had enough time to stand before the cube came to investigate

Initiative
Biggles: [roll1]
Roland: [roll2]
Dragul: [roll3]
Osrik: [roll4]

Gelatinous Cube: [roll5]You can climb the shaft walls at half speed in the corners if you wish. Or a DC15 Athletics to climb without wedging yourself between the two walls.

Biggles/Dragul are up.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-26, 08:12 PM
...well, there was no way he was getting out of here by climbing. He'd skipped every gym class he'd ever had to attend. He... he wasn't sure WHY in retrospect. Would certainly come in handy now if he could climb worth anything.

"If someone either wants to toss a rope or jump on down to help that would be very much appreciated!" the wizard called out, letting loose a powerful bolt of toxic energy at the ooze.

Ray of Sickness: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] poison
Save or be poisoned: [roll2]
On Crit add: [roll3]

niks97cobra
2014-10-27, 01:47 PM
"Slow it down with some caltrops and pull 'em out!" He pulls out a bundle of caltrops to toss to anyone if no one else has some.

niks97cobra
2014-10-27, 05:31 PM
"Screw it, I'll do it myself!" Dragul jumps over, throws caltrops down and the rope.

Foodle
2014-10-27, 06:25 PM
Biggle's spell doesn't seem to phase the Gelatinous Cube much as it turns the corner of the tunnel and silently pulses towards the small gnome. Dragul drops the rope down for Biggles to escape the shaft and tosses a handful of caltrops towards the Cube. Biggle's manages to catch the rope withhis free hand but the Gelatinous Cube moves slowly closer, passing over the caltrops which can be seen slowly floating into the middle of the creature. Making it to the gnome it half collapses on top of him but Biggles manages to ducks out of the way and avoid the things touch.

Gelatinous Cube takes 1 damage from the caltrops as they are sucked up inside it.

Gelatinous Cube Slam Attack @ Biggles

Damage: [roll1] bludgeoning, [roll2] acid
If hit

Biggle STR Save (DC12): [roll3];
Failed Save: Target is pulled inside the cube and is restrained.The Cube doesn't have feet and just absorbs everything, so ruling the caltrops to only do damage to it, not slow it down.

Biggles has hold of the rope, which leads up to where Roland/Osrik are.
They can use their action to pull the gnome to safety if they want. But he'd be subject to a opportunity attack unless Biggles uses the disengage action. If he's stuck inside the Gelatinous Cube, they'll need to pass a DC12 STR check to get him free. Or spend their action to help the other guy, giving advantage on the roll.
But since they're out of the Cubes range, they wont get attacked for the attempt.

The Parties turn.

r2d2go
2014-10-27, 06:37 PM
Osrik waits until Biggles prepares himself before trying to haul him up.

Going to wait for Biggles to act so he can Disengage, then use my action to pull. Posting it now to speed things up/so I don't forget :smalltongue:

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-27, 06:46 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Huh, what?" Roland says, having completely lost track of what was happening. For a moment, all he knows is that things are moving very fast, and that Biggles is in trouble. Then he notices that Osrik is getting prepared to drag him out of the pit, and he moves to assist. He's startled to see that something big and slimy appears to be in the pit with him.

Help Osrik pull Biggles out

Anubis Dread
2014-10-27, 10:11 PM
Eep. His spell did nothing, and the ooze was right on top of him! But he had a rope now, so at least he could escape! ...he hoped.

Discarding all semblance of dignity, Biggles scrambled away from the ooze before beginning to climb up the rope as fast as his stubby little limbs would take him.

Disengage action, followed by his half-movement up the wall using the rope. Hopefully the rest of the way can be covered by the pull.

Foodle
2014-10-28, 04:25 AM
Rope in hand Biggles scrambles towards to the wall, giving the rope a couple of tugs and yelling to signal his companions above. With their combined efforts Biggles is pulled to temporary safety on the ledge above.

Dragul still to act

niks97cobra
2014-10-28, 05:52 PM
Dragul looks down at the cube. "Lets try this again. Throw me one end of the rope and tie the other to yourself Biggles. Then jump."

r2d2go
2014-10-28, 06:03 PM
Err... Are we jus' hopin' tha' cube dinnae do anythin'? Osrik looks skeptical, but shrugs, then gestures at the rope on the side of people's packs. Les' get some more secure bindin', at least...

Foodle
2014-10-28, 06:14 PM
As you are talking and working out a way across the shaft, below you the Gelatinous Cube moves to the bottom of the shaft and expands slightly, pressing tight against the walls of the shaft as it begins it's ascent slowly towards it's escaping meal, you.

Move
Continue 5ft to the bottom of the shaft, then climb 5ft.

Action: Dash!
Climb a further 7ft

The top of the Gelatinous Cube is only 8ft below the top of the mine shaft (It's a 10ft tall cube). If you're planning to cross the shaft, without killing the Cube, you'd best do it quickly.

The Parties Turn

niks97cobra
2014-10-28, 06:25 PM
"Quickly Biggles, tie the rope and jump. Everyone else, just jump."

Dragul prepares to pull Biggles across as he jumps. [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-28, 07:31 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Okay, now the situation was becoming clear, and the clearest thing was that Roland did not want to be eaten by the jelly coming for them. Seeing that Biggles seemed to be well in hand, Roland goes ahead and jumps for it, leaping over the first pit and then the second one, skidding to a stop only once he landed on the far side.

I jump over both pits with a running start.

r2d2go
2014-10-28, 08:20 PM
Osrik looks at the advancing cube, then mutters a curse under his breath and leaps across as well.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-29, 01:00 PM
Alright, time to cross this gap and- woah!

The gnome barely even needed to jump to get pulled across. Which was good, because if he'd tried to jump under his own power he'd likely have been swallowed whole.

In the OOC thread it was said Biggles would just be yanked across, so yay for no risk of fumbling!

Foodle
2014-10-29, 03:31 PM
The party safely across the pits, with Biggles hands feeling slightly burned from the rope, they stand on the last piece of ground before the door set into the wall. There appears to be no lock on the door and it looks like it can just be pushed open from this side. Baron von Spooky can hear the sounds of movement, metal clinking into rock and of something being pushed slowly across the ground from beyond the oaken door.

Meanwhile the Gelatinous Cube continues it's climb to the top of the shaft, wobbling over the edge and onto the middle platform.

Move + Dash
Ascends another 15ft, and flops onto the edge of the middle platform.

niks97cobra
2014-10-29, 10:40 PM
"Should we go through the door or kill the smush cube?"

Anubis Dread
2014-10-30, 12:16 AM
"Normally I'm all for the danger we know to the danger we don't, but in this situation we know it's going to kill one of us if it comes any closer," Biggles noted, stepping back away from the cube gingerly. "Short of this door being a literal portal to hell... as opposed to the other literal portal to hell we came across earlier... I'd say it will be a step up."

niks97cobra
2014-10-30, 02:05 AM
Dragul opens the door. He closes it if he sees anything hostile... otherwise he goes through and closes as his friends pass through.

Foodle
2014-10-30, 03:07 AM
Dragul opens the door briefly into an enormous square room with smooth, brick-lined walls and a 20-foot-high ceiling festooned with thick cobwebs. The floor is littered with tools and mining apparatus. More than a dozen animated dwarf skeletons wander about, pushing wooden mine carts, rolling barrels, and performing other chores under the supervision of a skeletal dwarf standing on a barrel and carrying a diamond-tipped pick. A couple of skeletons closest to the open door turn at the unexpected motion and Dragul pulls the door shut as best he can, but with no handle on his side of the door, there isn't anyway to keep it shut.

r2d2go
2014-10-30, 11:50 AM
...Ah, damn it.

Osrik hefts his warhammer and goes to work.

Move up to D17 and smack skeleton A: [roll0], [roll1]

Finishing his enemy, his eyes grow wide as he sees the dwarvern skeleton. Tha' buggers defiled a dwarf's honor'ble burial?! He tosses the hammer behind him for someone else to use and prepares to blast the skeletal dwarf.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-30, 12:20 PM
Well... at least skeletons didn't swallow you whole. With no other recourse Biggles followed Osrik into the room, trying to hide in as safe a corner as he could before sending out Baron Von Spooky to perform an air raid.

Shocking Grasp delivered via Spooky Mail on Skeleton A
No reactions until next turn.

I'm afb so I can't actually enter this into the sheet unfortunately.

Foodle
2014-10-30, 02:16 PM
With Osrik bursting into the room of dwarven miner skeletons and then quickly turning one into a pile of splinters, the one in charge turned to face the newcomer, bouncing up and down on his barrel shouting "Finders Keepers! Finders Keepers!" in an hysterical voice while waving around a rolled up piece of parchment. On seeing the barrel that Pax Jaggershield is standing atop, Osrik immediately identifies it as a keg of blasting powder, quite dangerous if lit on fire, luckily the lid is fitted tightly shut.

Vulnerable means your bludgeoning damage does 1.5x whatever you roll. Updated Osriks damage to match, dead is still dead though.

DSCrankshaw
2014-10-30, 07:44 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland draws his rapier, though he wonders whether it will do any damage against a skeleton. They don't have soft flesh like normal people. But he rushes into the room anyway, trying to poke the first skeleton he can reach. Unfortunately, his blade ends up sliding neatly between its ribs, and doing no more than rattling off the bones.

"If you had a kidney, you'd totally be hurting right now!" he tells it.

Move
Enter room

Action
Attack skeleton
[roll0]
[roll1] /2 for resistance

niks97cobra
2014-10-31, 01:15 AM
Dragul rushes forward after the only skeleton he can reach.

Move to C14. Attack.
On crit: [roll2]

Foodle
2014-10-31, 02:49 AM
Dragul's axe cuts into the frail old bones of the miner Biggle's familiar had hurt, leaving it snapped in half and twitching on the floor. The other dwarven skeletons clad in scraps of old armor and armed with war picks and throwing axes rush towards this source of intrusion, while their leader continues to shout and over over in a manic screech, "Finders Keepers! Finders Keepers!" while standing atop his keg of blasting powder.

Meanwhile the Gelatinous Cube makes it way towards the party from the tunnel they just left, the caltrops Dragul threw previously all but corroded away inside the see-thru creature. Coming to the planks crossing the second mine shaft it starts across before the planks collapse under it's weight and it drops a short distance into the shaft before catching itself and climbing back to the top.

Gelatinous Cube
Move + Dash: Move towards the party and climb back to the top of the shaft.

Wrath of Pax
Move: They all move closer... except Pax, he stays put on his barrel
Pax Jaggershield: Crazed shouting!
Skeleton Miner C: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll0] | Damage: [roll1] | Crit: [roll2]
Skeleton Miner D: Throwing Axe @ Osrik (LR): [roll3] or [roll4] | Damage: [roll5] | Crit: [roll6]
Skeleton Miner E: Throwing Axe @ Roland (LR): [roll7] or [roll8] | Damage: [roll9] | Crit: [roll10]
Skeleton Miner F: Throwing Axe @ Roland: [roll11] | Damage: [roll12] | Crit: [roll13]
Skeleton Miner G: Throwing Axe @ Roland (LR): [roll14] or [roll15] | Damage: [roll16] | Crit: [roll17]
Skeleton Miner H: Warpick @ Osrik: [roll18] | Damage: [roll19] | Crit: [roll20]
Skeleton Miner I: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll21] | Damage: [roll22] | Crit: [roll23]
Skeleton Miner K: Throwing Axe @ Roland (LR): [roll24] or [roll25] | Damage: [roll26] | Crit: [roll27]
Skeleton Miner L: Throwing Axe @ Dragul (LR): [roll28] or [roll29] | Damage: [roll30] | Crit: [roll31]
Skeleton Miner M: Throwing Axe @ Dragul (LR): [roll32] or [roll33] | Damage: [roll34] | Crit: [roll35]

((*Cross fingers and hopes the dice roller works*))
Only 1 hit, i feel cheated.

The Parties Turn

Anubis Dread
2014-10-31, 11:11 PM
This was really going to have to happen, wasn't it? Biggles sighed as he rummaged through his pack, eventually pulling forth a rather twisted device made of what looked like finger bones. Clicking on a protruding thumb, a steady flame belched out of the top of the thing.

Hm... forcing the thumb into place, the gnome frowned thoughtfully as he sized up the angles, before winding up his arm and throwing the flame at obvious barrel of blasting powder.

Hint taken, throwing Singey at the blasting powder :smalltongue:

Dexterity: [roll0]

Foodle
2014-11-01, 12:54 AM
Biggles hefts the small clockwork creation through the air where it bounces once on the ground and comes to rest against the barrel of blasting powder, spewing forth its small flame against the aged timber at the base of the barrel unnoticed by the skeletons. The blasting powder is sealed inside, but the barrel is old and easily flammable.

It will take 1d4 fire damage on each of Biggle's turns. Or something could smash it open earlier, it has AC 5.

Barrel HP: 5/5

Damage: [roll0] fire damage

niks97cobra
2014-11-01, 02:00 AM
Dragul attacks the skeletons in front of him.

Attack C

If Successful, Use Sweeping Attack on I.

Double damage if he can get the warhammer. Figured I'd post the rolls now.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-01, 09:43 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland hisses as the thrown axe hits. The leather armor deflects it, so it doesn't leave more than a bruise on his side. He glances around. The skeletons are coming closer, but they have terrible aim. The bigger issue is the gelatinous cube, which is gettting closer. And Biggles is standing right in its path.

"Biggles!" Roland shouts. "Get out of its way! Let that thing chew on skeletons rather than us. You too, Osrik!"

Roland punches the nearest skeleton in the face, and then moves farther into the room.

Bonus action
Disengage

Action
If I is still standing, attack it. move and attack H.
Use unarmed attack, finesse
[roll0]
[roll1] x 2 (includes sneak attack)

Move
Move as shown

r2d2go
2014-11-01, 06:32 PM
Osrik hefts his hammer, considering, then decides to smash the skeleton nearby before jogging to Dragul and passing him the hammer. It's a wee bit better fer' smashin' tha buggers...

[roll0] against the skeleton, dealing [roll1] x2 damage. Then move to D15 and pass the hammer so Dragul can use it in his attack.

Foodle
2014-11-01, 07:17 PM
Clearing the closest of the skeletons, the rest edge menacingly closer, axes and picks ready to tear the party to pieces. The Gelatinous Cube glides forward barely visible now that the caltops it had ingested had dissolved into nothingness.

Wrath of Pax
Move: All closer
Skeleton Miner D: Warpick @ Biggles: [roll0] | Damage: [roll1] | On Crit: [roll2]
Skeleton Miner E: Throwing Axe @ Osrik: [roll3] | Damage: [roll4] | On Crit: [roll5]
Skeleton Miner F: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll6] | Damage: [roll7] | On Crit: [roll8]
Skeleton Miner G: Throwing Axe @ Osrik: [roll9] | Damage: [roll10] | On Crit: [roll11]
Skeleton Miner J: Throwing Axe @ Osrik (LR): [roll12] or [roll13] | Damage: [roll14] | On Crit: [roll15]
Skeleton Miner K: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll16] | Damage: [roll17] | On Crit: [roll18]
Skeleton Miner L: Warpick @ Roland: [roll19] | Damage: [roll20] | On Crit: [roll21]
Skeleton Miner M: Throwing Axe @ Dragul: [roll22] | Damage: [roll23] | On Crit: [roll24]
Skeleton Miner N: Throwing Axe @ Roland: [roll25] | Damage: [roll26] | On Crit: [roll27]
Pax Jaggershield: Mad screaming!

Gelatinous Cube
Move + Dash: To E17
Skeleton D is unaware of the Gelatinous Cube
Free Slam Attack!

Attack @ Skeleton D: [roll28]; MISS
Damage: [roll29] bludgeoning, [roll30] acid
On Hit (STR Save vs DC 12): [roll31]

The Party's Turn

Anubis Dread
2014-11-01, 08:36 PM
So... this was not the best of situations. The powder wasn't going to explode without a little help, but he didn't have any such help to give! Unless he wanted to freeze the barrel, which would be a little counter productive. What's more if he did anything he'd be eaten by an ooze so... there was that, as well.

Biggles lashed out at the skeleton with a hand crackling with electricity, before scampering away as far and fast as he could.

Shocking Grasp on D: [roll0]

Foodle
2014-11-01, 09:20 PM
The Gelatinous Cube sensing the gnomes distraction, distorts and tries to grab for it's fleeing food once more but is too slow as Biggles puts the skeleton between himself and it.

Attack of Opportunity @ Biggles

On hit (STR Save vs DC 12): [roll3]

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-01, 11:15 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Get out of that thing's way!" Roland shouts. "Let it have the skeletons!"

He turns to the skeleton right next to him, and attempts to fend it off with his rapier. It'd be much easier if he had something that could break bones better than his skinny sword.

[roll0]
[roll1] /2 for resistance

niks97cobra
2014-11-02, 02:16 AM
Dragul, not being one to back down without swinging first, continues to swing on the skeletons.

Another sweeping if I hit. [roll3]

If I hit and kill K, I'll move to D10.

In case I don't kill both... AOO
[roll4]
[roll5]

Foodle
2014-11-04, 03:25 AM
Osrik Stonehammer"Hold still a sec," Osrik tells Biggles as he pulls out his field medics gear and gets to work bandaging up the worst of the gnomes injuries.

Healing Biggles: [roll0]hp healed

Foodle
2014-11-04, 03:42 AM
The skeletons keep falling to the groups attacks and the keg of blasting powder has truly caught fire now, flames racing up the sides of the wood. But still the dwarf waving his diamond tipped pick and roll of parchment holds his ground shouting frantically "Finders Keepers! Finders Keepers!" while the other skeletons advance seeking to rid their mine of these intruders.

Gelatinous Cube
Slam @ Skeleton D

On Hit (STR Save DC 12): [roll3]
Move: Moves forward to H16

Wrath of Pax
Move: Some movement
Skeleton Miner D: Warpick @ Biggles: [roll4] | Damage: [roll5] | On Crit: [roll6]
Skeleton Miner E: Throwing Axe @ Osrik: [roll7] | Damage: [roll8] | On Crit: [roll9]
Skeleton Miner G: Throwing Axe @ Biggles: [roll10] | Damage: [roll11] | On Crit: [roll12]
Skeleton Miner J: Throwing Axe @ Osrik: [roll13] | Damage: [roll14] | On Crit: [roll15]
Skeleton Miner L: Warpick @ Roland: [roll16] | Damage: [roll17] | On Crit: [roll18]
Skeleton Miner N: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll19] | Damage: [roll20] | On Crit: [roll21]
Skeleton Miner M: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll22] | Damage: [roll23] | On Crit: [roll24]
Pax Jaggershield: Mad Screaming & Throwing Axe @ Dragul: [roll25] | Damage: [roll26] | On Crit: [roll27]

Foodle
2014-11-04, 03:54 AM
The Gelatinous Cube devours the skeleton in it's way, edging forward again to end near Biggles and Osrik. In the center of the room a loud crack can be heard from the keg of blasting powder, then with a deafening roar a fiery explosion erupts from where the keg was, sending mining equipment flying and sucking the air from your lungs as the heat washes over you, those skeletons still standing too close take the worst of it being flung away in pieces. Pax Jaggershield comes through charred and angry, the parchment that he had been shouting about now a pile of ash in his hand.

Keg of Blasting Powder: [roll0] fire damage; Save for Half Damage

Dex Save DC 10
Skeleton Miner E: [roll1]
Skeleton Miner G: [roll2]
Skeleton Miner J: [roll3]
Pax Jaggershield: [roll4]
Gelatinous Cube: [roll5]

The Party's Turn

Anubis Dread
2014-11-04, 01:29 PM
Well... that had gone pretty well. Biggles was amazed that the dwarf was still standing though. By all rights having an explosion right beneath your feet should at least give you a bad case of the unconciousnesses.

He had other issues to deal with though. Jabbing at the ooze with a lightning filled hand as lightly as he could to prevent unwelcome stickiness, Biggles repositioned himself as far away from the cube as possible.

If it the Cube can't take reactions. If it doesn't the Cube gets an AoO

r2d2go
2014-11-04, 01:44 PM
Taking advantage of the cube being shocked by Biggles, Osrik moves out of its way before grabbing his hammer as he moves, smashing one of the skeletons, then dropping it for someone else's use.

Attack Skele M, moving to F12 then G11 to avoid an AoO. [roll0], [roll1] x2 damage.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-04, 02:10 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Once again, Roland uses the simple expedient of punching a skeleton in the face.

As the skeleton collapses, Roland moves, circling past the skeleton until he's on the other side of the crazed dwarf. "Hey!" he shouts, jumping up and down and directing his voice toward the jelly. "Over here!" He glances down at the pit below. I bet that wouldn't be good for that gelatin thing.

Action
Punch skeleton L
[roll0]
[roll1] (includes sneak attack)

Move
Bonus
Dash

niks97cobra
2014-11-04, 06:49 PM
Dragul grabs the warhammer and swings at one of the remaining skeletons (N).

Foodle
2014-11-05, 12:52 AM
The Gelatinous Cube ignores the shouting Roland and continues chasing the large clump of food that was the rest of the party and the remaining skeletons. Pax Jaggershield hears him though and moves to embed his pickaxe into the rogue.

Gelatinous Cube
Move + Dash to G12

Wrath of Pax
Move: Pax moves to engage Roland, N moves to get a better shot at Dragul

Skeleton Miner N: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll0] | Damage: [roll1] | On Crit: [roll2]
Skeleton Miner M: Warpick @ Osrik: [roll3] | Damage: [roll4] | On Crit: [roll5]
Pax Jaggershield: Warpick @ Roland: [roll6] | Damage: [roll7] | On Crit: [roll8]

The Party's Turn

Anubis Dread
2014-11-05, 02:14 PM
Okay, so as things were he wouldn't be eaten by the gelatenous cube any time soon. Because it would eat the skeleton and Osrik first! ...okay hopefully just the skeleton, but still. Roland on the other hand seemed to be having enough trouble Biggles felt he had to help him out.

Muttering under his breath, the gnome caused the eyes of the dwarf to cloud over.

Blindness/Deafness, choosing Blindness.

Wisdom Save: [roll0]

niks97cobra
2014-11-05, 08:45 PM
"Its time to finish this fight." Dragul swings as hard as he can with the warhammer. He uses his first swing as momentum to swing at the other skeleton. He then tosses the warhammer back.

Use my action surge.
Attack N:

Attack M:
Attack: [roll3]
On crit: [roll5]

r2d2go
2014-11-05, 09:00 PM
Ah'll deal wit' tha' cube. Though, Biggles, ye' probly want ta' make sure Rolan' can fight tha'-

Osrik looks at the dwarf skeleton, his eyes tearing up with rage, then turns back to the cube, and picks up the hammer.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-06, 10:01 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland's eyes boggle as he stares he watches Osrik turn to face the gelatinous cube. "Idiot! I said to lure it over here!" Roland shakes his head. "Do you ever get the impression that no one listens to you?" he asks the crazy dwarf he's facing. "I guess that's why you work with skeletons, huh? They may not be too bright, but at least they do what you tell them."

With that, he lunges at the dwarf. His sword strikes true against the target, but he's still mostly bones, do it's not as effective as he'd like. He then starts casting around for a bucket or something. If he finds one nearby, he grabs it.

OOC: Roland's pretty badly wounded. A little healing wouldn't be amiss.

Since he's blinded, I have advantage.

Action Attack Pax
[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

In case of crit,
[roll4]
[roll5]

Foodle
2014-11-06, 02:21 PM
The battle continues, though with fewer participants. With his world turned black due to Biggles magic, Pax could still navigate this mine easily with his eyes shut after residing here for so long, he moves around Roland and attempts to shove the intruder off the ledge and into the pit below. While the last remaining skeleton and the gelatinous cube assault the rest of the party across the room.

Gelatinous Cube
Slam @ Osrik

(On Crit) Damage: [roll3] bludgeoning, [roll4] acid
(On Hit) STR Save DC 12: [roll5]

Wrath of Pax
Move: Pax moves to O10
Actions
Skeleton Miner N: Warpick @ Dragul: [roll6] | Damage: [roll7] | On Crit: [roll8]
Pax Jaggershield: Shove attempt @ Roland

Pax (Athletics): [roll9]
Roland (Acrobatics): [roll10]

Everything misses/fails.

The Parties Turn

Anubis Dread
2014-11-06, 02:38 PM
Things were getting a lot more queit, which was fine by Biggles. Right now all he wanted to do was find a comfortable hole to rest in. But that had to wait until they got rid of the riff raff.

The gnome shocked the cube for all his worth, hoping it would give him a chance to reposition.

On hit it can't take reactions this turn.

r2d2go
2014-11-06, 05:27 PM
Osrik takes a swing at the cube before passing the hammer to Dragul. Then, with the cube shocked, Osrik is free to reposition closer to Roland, as to get within range to patch him up in a moment.

Attack cube: [roll0], [roll1]
Move to I11, passing the hammer as part of the move.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-06, 08:38 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Stupid skeleton!" Roland mutters, as he punches Pax in the face. This time the skeleton collapses into a pile of bones. "Now, where was that bucket?" Once again, Roland casts around for a bucket.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] x 2 for vulnerability

niks97cobra
2014-11-07, 02:03 AM
"This is a persistent dead guy," Dragul complains. He swings the warhammer of sharing.

Foodle
2014-11-07, 03:57 AM
The chamber becomes almost quiet as both Pax Jaggershield and the last skeletal miner are released from undeath. The Gelatinous Cube still remains, the scattered bones of a previously dispatched skeleton able to be seen floating inside it as it tries again to get the dwarf to join them in it's acidic insides.

Gelatinous Cube
Slam @ Osrik

On Crit: [roll3] bludgeoning, [roll4] acid
On Hit (STR Save vs DC12): [roll5]; SUCCESS!

Osrik remains outside the cube

The Party's Turn

niks97cobra
2014-11-07, 04:31 PM
"Should we try and lure it to the pit? Or just hack at hit?" Dragul questions as he readies his action.

Awaiting to attack until a plan is formulated.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-07, 04:45 PM
"What do you think, Biggles?" Roland asks. "Do you think the dust will have an effect on it?"

Anubis Dread
2014-11-07, 04:49 PM
"Doesn't acid usually just burn through rock?" the wizard frowned, shaking his head. "Then again it's not like it's completely acid, otherwise it would just be a puddle... bah, the Necrognomicon is pretty spare when it comes to entries on oozes," the gnome admitted.

Arcana? Nature?

Arcana: [roll0]. If Nature I believe Biggles is untrained so -2.

Foodle
2014-11-07, 05:46 PM
The Necrognomicon is indeed pretty sparse in regards to oozes, detailing a rather baseless theory on their existence as the spawn of a demon lord and that they only eat living tissue, leaving the bones of the dead clean and untouched. Though it mention that they prefer dark places, probably why they're found in caves and tunnels, and in the column a short note: "Flame and light! I'm going to test if i can herd these oozes using their proclivity for darkness to keep them away." Unfortunately there is rather glaring absence of results from that test written anywhere making you think he probably wasn't too successful.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-07, 05:52 PM
"If I recall correctly, lime dust like that actually causes an ooze to replicate itself," Biggles replied. "Followed by each replicant exploding in a fiery burst of energy that kills everyone within three square miles. So... likely not a good idea to deal with it like that."

Biggles then sent in Mr Spooky to deliver a shocking talon.

niks97cobra
2014-11-08, 03:24 AM
"That actually sounds like fun... everything in three miles? Lets catch it, and then blow up a city... evil city." Dragul moves in for the attack.

Rolls
Move to F11

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-08, 12:38 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland stares at Biggles for a moment. Sometimes he's not exactly sure whether to believe the gnome's more outrageous theories.

He grins. "Let's try it," he says. Grabbing hold of a bucket, he descends into the pit and scoops up some of the lime. Then he scales back up the wall again, bucket dangling from his hand.

Not sure if there's enough action to do all that in one round, but Roland can use dash as a bonus action and climb at full speed due to his rogue and thief abilities

My idea is to toss a bucket of the dust at the blob and see what happens, and if it seems effective, try to lure it down into the pit--perhaps by using myself as bait.

Yeah, it's a bit crazy, but what is D&D for but trying crazy ideas.

Oh, and I'd still like some healing.

Foodle
2014-11-08, 07:03 PM
Roland quickly scales down the wall with ease and steps into the lime dust which raises in a small puff as his leg sinks in just past his knees. Scooping up a bucket-full of the powder he makes it back to the top without incident and tosses the powder at the Gelatinous Cube, turning an entire side of it opaque as the dust is stuck to it.

Gelatinous Cube takes 5 damage as part of it's body changes to water and all acid damage it inflicts is reduced by 1

r2d2go
2014-11-08, 07:09 PM
Osrik continues hitting things.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]

Foodle
2014-11-08, 08:02 PM
The Gelatinous Cube surges towards Osrik before reversing direction to try catch Dragul against the wall, attempting to engulf them both inside it's body but only managing to capture the slow dwarf when Dragul seeing what happens jumps out of the cube's path. Osrik can be seen inside the body of the Gelatinous Cube, the floating bones of a previously defeated skeleton bobbing around his head.

Gelatinous Cube
Engulf! (Osrik & Dragul); Dex Save (DC 12)
Osrik: [roll0]; Failed
Dragul: [roll1]; Success

Failed Save: The target is engulfed.
While engulfed, the target is pulled into the cube and restrained, and it takes acid damage at the start of each of the cube’s turns until it escapes. The target can escape by making a DC 11 Strength or Dexterity check as part of its movement. On a success, the target is no longer restrained and can complete its movement.
A creature engulfed by the cube can’t be targeted by attacks, spells, and other effects. An area of effect that includes the cube does not also include anything engulfed in it.
A creature next to the cube can pull a creature or object out of it with a DC 12 Strength check as an action, but this action triggers the cube’s passive threat reaction.

Damage: [roll2] acid

Osrik is inside the cube, you can free him or he can attempt to free himself as written above.

The Party's Turn

r2d2go
2014-11-08, 08:24 PM
Osrik drags himself out of the cube, glaring at it. Tha' hurt! An' ye ruined me beard! He gets away from the cube before patching up himself (and his beard).

Strength Check: [roll0], move out, healing kit.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-09, 01:07 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Well, that did something, at least," Roland says. But probably not as much as just shooting it. Roland drops the bucket and draws his bow, moving a little closer before shooting an arrow at the gelatinous cube.

Move
Move slightly closer

Action
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2] = 11

niks97cobra
2014-11-09, 03:05 AM
Dragul swings at the cube, taking advantage of the creature missing him. He then makes another attack.

Attacks
Riposte

Attack
Attack: [roll3]
On crit: [roll5]

Anubis Dread
2014-11-09, 11:47 AM
This blob was tougher than every skeleton they'd fought in the room combined. Running away from it had been a good idea. Unfortunately they'd expended enough resources at this point that it was better to keep fighting rather than retreat. The sunk cost fallacy was a cruel mistress.

Just wanting the fight to be over, Biggles decided to splurge and use one of his few precious remaining spells to blast the ooze with toxic energy.

Ray of Sickness: [roll0]
Constitution Save or be Poisoned: [roll3]

Foodle
2014-11-09, 01:39 PM
Perhaps sensing it's end is near the blob of acidic goo tries the same tactic that had netted it the dwarf just a moment before, charging forward at the two lumps of meat in front of it. Dragul now aware of this move, jumps safely to the side while his gnomish ally is caught unaware and is covered by the Gelatinous Cubes body.

Gelatinous Cube
Engulf! (Dragul & Biggles); Dex Save DC 12
Dragul: [roll0]; SUCCESS
Biggles: [roll1]; FAILURE

Failed Save: The target is engulfed.
While engulfed, the target is pulled into the cube and restrained, and it takes acid damage at the start of each of the cube’s turns until it escapes. The target can escape by making a DC 11 Strength or Dexterity check as part of its movement. On a success, the target is no longer restrained and can complete its movement.
A creature engulfed by the cube can’t be targeted by attacks, spells, and other effects. An area of effect that includes the cube does not also include anything engulfed in it.
A creature next to the cube can pull a creature or object out of it with a DC 12 Strength check as an action, but this action triggers the cube’s passive threat reaction.

Damage: [roll2] acid

Biggles is inside it.

The Party's Turn

niks97cobra
2014-11-09, 04:40 PM
"Don't worry Biggles! We will kill it!" Dragul swings at the cube, trying not to hit Biggles.

Attack: Crit!

Foodle
2014-11-09, 06:33 PM
Dragul's hammer rips a chunk free from the cube and it sags forward losing it former shape as it dies slowly liquefying, Biggles still covered in it's gooeyness is able to extricate himself with some minor effort and at last silence falls over the chamber as the battle finishes.

With the chance to look around a bit more now that there is nothing immediately trying to eat or maim you, you take a better look at your surrounding. The chamber is littered with old mining gear, the carts are filled with loose rocks and barrels with old tools. Most are in a horrible state, rusted with time about the only thing that looks like it might be worth something is the Warpick Pax Jaggershield was carrying, with it's smooth oaken haft and diamond tipped pick blade it would be quite valuable to someone interested in such things.

At the southern end of the room stand three doors, the western most one, the one the party entered through, stands open while the other two are firmly shut. The middle door has a metal pin hammered into the ground in front of it to stop it from opening, but the eastern door doesn't seem to have anything barring it.

To the north lays the pit of lime dust, where standing on the ledge bordering it you can just make out what looks like a hole big enough to crawl into in the far northern wall.

And to the east near where the dead Gelatinous Cube sits a tunnel heads eastwards curving upwards and to the left as it heads out of sight.

1x Diamond-Tipped Warpick, worth ~7500g (1d8 piercing damage, 1d10 versitile)

The dead miners carry normal warpicks and shields that while worse for wear would still be serviceable if wanted.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-09, 06:58 PM
The gnome sat stunned in the pile of ooze, his skin smoldering from the acidic juices. A high pitched whine passed his lips as he shivered in displeasure, before standing up and walking away. His boots stuck to the floor as he went over to a relatively safe corner and began to wring out his clothes.

"I am NOT going anywhere else here today after that," the gnome noted bluntly as he tried to salvage his perishable equipment by wiping the goop off of it. "Let's just set up camp here. We can't reliably get back to the entrance we came from anyway because of that boulder trap, so as long as we're stuck until we find another way back up we might as well camp out here. It's as good a place as any."

r2d2go
2014-11-09, 06:59 PM
Osrik patches Roland up before looking at the dwarf's now-still skeleton. I dinnae want ta' slow us down, but... it's na' right, leavin' a dwarf like tha'. I... buryin' him in tha' lime's probly the best we c'n do. But I'm going ta' do at least tha'. He picks up the charred bones and starts moving towards the lime.

Foodle
2014-11-10, 12:17 AM
Osrik hauls the bones of what was once a fellow dwarf down the small cliff into the pit of lime dust to lay the remains to their final rest. As he shovels handfuls of the lime dust away making a suitable hollow to place Pax his fingers brush against a bone already in the dust, then the bone is pulled quickly away from his hand as the dust in front of him parts to reveal the animated bones of a giant lizard, the kind the dwarf would have used to haul their carts of ore around the mines.

The dead lizard shakes itself free of the dust and launches itself at the cleric. Around the rest of the pit more skeletal lizards emerge looking ready to fight.

Giant Skeleton Lizards
Giant Skeleton Lizard A (Bite @ Osrik)

Initiative
Biggles: [roll2]
Roland: [roll3]
Dragul: [roll4]

Giant Skeleton Lizard A: [roll6]
Giant Skeleton Lizard B: [roll7]
Giant Skeleton Lizard C: [roll8]
Giant Skeleton Lizard D: [roll9]
Giant Skeleton Lizard E: [roll10]

Lizard D & E are up, then all the party, then all the skeletons etc etc.

Foodle
2014-11-10, 12:25 AM
A couple of the giant skeleton lizards are quicker on the uptake than the rest and scurry across the top of the lime dust raising little clouds of the stuff behind them as they charge towards Osrik.

Giant Skeleton Lizards
Movement
GSL(D): N7 -> L13
GSL(E): Q8 -> N13

Actions
GSL(D) Bite @ Osrik | Attack: [roll0] | Damage: [roll1] | On Crit: [roll2]
GSL(E) Bite @ Osrik | Attack: [roll3] | Damage: [roll4] | On Crit: [roll5]

The Party's Turn

r2d2go
2014-11-10, 01:28 AM
All I want ta' do is bury a dwarf wit' respect! I'm going ta' crush everyone o' ye' bastards...

Osrik drops the dwarf's corpse and swings.

I won't actually attack until Roland's here (if he does jump in to help), since then I get advantage on my attacks for "flanking", but then I'll attack whatever I can: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2] x2

niks97cobra
2014-11-10, 01:30 AM
Dragul moves in to attack, he swings at the closest lizard. "Way to go stirring up more trouble."

Move to K14

Second Wind
[roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
On crit: [roll3]

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-10, 01:37 AM
Roland - Human Rogue

"What the . . . more skeletons!? Where do these things come from?" He scrambles into the pit and to Osrik's side, punching one of the lizards in the face when he does so.

The skeleton collapses at his feet, and Roland shakes his hand. "Ow! That hurts!"

Move
Into pit

Action
[roll0]
[roll1] x 2 for bludgeoning

Anubis Dread
2014-11-10, 02:02 PM
Oh for- he hadn't even gotten all the goop off yet! Couldn't his comrades go five seconds without making something want to kill them! ...granted he was the one to attract the attention of the ooze. And the purple wurm. And drew their attention to the portal. ...damn it he was worst than all of them combined wasn't he?

Grumbling to himself, the Gnome leaned over the pit before blasting off a bolt of necrotic energy. It likely wouldn't do too much, but it would make it so one of the creatures was a little less effective.

Chill Touch - Constitution save or necrotic damage and disadvantage on attack rolls on their next turn since they're undead.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Foodle
2014-11-10, 04:19 PM
Biggles spell misses his target hitting the ground harmlessly beside it, the Giant Lizard Skeleton dodging out of the way before springing off the ground and leaping towards Osrik and knocking him into the grave he'd started to dig moments before, the lime dust blinding him as it gets into his eyes. The other two remaining lizards then scurry towards the party, one taking a direct route, the other scrambling up the cliff to and coming in towards Rolan from the side.

Movement
GLS(B): 010 -> N12
GLS(A): Dash! Q5 -> N15

Actions
GLS(C): Shove @ Osrik

GLS(C) Athletics: [roll0] vs Osrik Athletics: [roll1]; If Osrik loses he is knocked prone.
If prone: Osrik CON save vs DC 10: [roll2]; if failed Osrik is blinded for [roll3] rounds.

GLS(B): Bite @ Osrik

Attack: [roll4] | [roll5] (with advantage if prone/blind)
Damage: [roll6]

Osrik is blind for 6 rounds and is also prone. And gets a bite taken out of him.

The Party's Turn

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-10, 05:43 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland presses forward, and takes a swing at the next skeleton. The punch leaves his knuckles bloody, but another skeleton collapses.

Move

Action
Attack lizard B
[roll0]
[roll1] x 2

r2d2go
2014-11-10, 07:34 PM
Gods... damn... skeletons...

Osrik tosses the hammer in Dragul's general direction before muttering a prayer to heal himself.

Heal myself for [roll0].

niks97cobra
2014-11-11, 03:34 PM
Dragul swings the warhammer of sharing at one of the skeletons.

Rolls

Move to M14
At skeleton A

Anubis Dread
2014-11-11, 03:36 PM
Bah, one miss didn't mean another was likely. Still safelt outside of the pit proper, the gnome shot another bolt of necrotic energy at the undead.

Con: [roll0]

Targeting A

Foodle
2014-11-11, 04:03 PM
With all it's companions crumpled unmoving the final Giant Skeleton Lizard takes what is most likely it's last bite at the blinded dwarf.

GSL(C) Bite @ Osrik

Attack: [roll0] | [roll1]
On Crit: [roll3]

The Party's Turn

niks97cobra
2014-11-12, 03:30 AM
Dragul moves in and attacks.

Rolls
Move to L13

Foodle
2014-11-12, 03:42 AM
The last skeletal lizard is smashed into the lime dust and nothing else appears to be left that might move or attack you in the pit.
With the chance to look around a bit more now that there is nothing immediately trying to eat or maim you, you take a better look at your surrounding. The chamber is littered with old mining gear, the carts are filled with loose rocks and barrels with old tools. Most are in a horrible state, rusted with time about the only thing that looks like it might be worth something is the Warpick Pax Jaggershield was carrying, with it's smooth oaken haft and diamond tipped pick blade it would be quite valuable to someone interested in such things.

At the southern end of the room stand three doors, the western most one, the one the party entered through, stands open while the other two are firmly shut. The middle door has a metal pin hammered into the ground in front of it to stop it from opening, but the eastern door doesn't seem to have anything barring it.

To the north lays the pit of lime dust, where standing on the ledge bordering it you can just make out what looks like a hole big enough to crawl into in the far northern wall.

And to the east near where the dead Gelatinous Cube sits a tunnel heads eastwards curving upwards and to the left as it heads out of sight.

You're safe to rest/bury the dead/decide where to go next/etc.

r2d2go
2014-11-12, 12:03 PM
Osrik mutters angrily to himself, then even before his vision clears, pulls out his pick and starts digging a grave. After digging a shallow grave and climbing out of the pit, he relaxes and heals himself of some damage, then starts a prayer of healing before resting, restoring the party's health (though mostly his).

Cure Wounds: [roll0]
Prayer of Healing: [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2014-11-12, 01:31 PM
"We are not going any further today," the gnome repeated wearily as he plopped down on the hard stone floor. "I have one spell above cantrip level left for the today, I'm sure Osrik isn't doing too much better, and the only way forward is to go deeper into the mines at this point. Which means even more dangerous things. Let's baricade the doors, set up our tents and rest up."

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-12, 08:36 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"Agreed," Roland says as he bandages his knuckles. "I need a rest. If I never have to see another skeleton again, I'll be happy."

Foodle
2014-11-13, 03:44 AM
You haul barrels and other equipment over to the eastern entrance to block it off and shut the door you entered from, moving mine carts in front of it and the other doors just to make sure they stay shut and that nothing can sneak up on your while you try to get some sleep and recover from your battles.

Nothing attacks during the eight or so hours you stay in the room, nothing even tests the doors or can be heard moving in the mines. Your sleep was not good though, stray magic in the mines is a problem and nightmares plagued you all during your rest, leaving you feeling weak and rattled on waking. You do manage to get some sleep though and are now ready to continue through the mines in your search of the forever stone.

You all benefit from a long rest. HP is back to full. Spells are replenished. Though the troubling nightmares prevent you from having a truly restful sleep and so you regain no spent hit dice.

Experience earned so far: 914/1600

If you've changed any spells during your rest let me know your new loadout in your next post.

niks97cobra
2014-11-13, 04:24 AM
"I needed that rest," Dragul stetches as he wakes up.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-13, 01:37 PM
"Definitely. I'm brimming with arcane energy once more! Though if yesterday is any indication that won't be all that helpful," the gnome agreed with a sigh as he sat up and pulled open his spell book. Deciding to stick with what he knew for now, Biggle memorized his spells for the day before closing the book back up again.

Idly feeding some scraps to his mottled, monocle bespeckled familiar, the wizard tried to work out what their best course of action was. "We should try and find another way back up so we can rest outside the mines and avoid such nightmares again," Biggles decided. That meant they should keep exploring, but favor passages that seemed to double back or lead up. At least for now, since that boulder trap was not nearly as easy to avoid heading up as it was down.

r2d2go
2014-11-14, 07:11 PM
Osrik gets up groggily and takes a swing from his flask. Well, les' move... I dinnae look forward ta' crawlin' anywhere, an' tha doors seem fishy... Tha' hallway work?

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-14, 09:44 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

Roland stretches and yawns. "Yes, let's get started. You want to go up? Personally, I'd rather head down, but if it's up you want, I suppose we'll have to go that way." He nods toward the tunnel heading upward.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-14, 09:47 PM
"We'll head down in good time. Odds are most of the valuable things are hoarded deep within the mines by creatures that want to stay as far from the light as possible," Biggles noted. "But finding a way out is more important since we don't currently have one. Plus if we head back to town for a few days we can use the gold we've found up until this point to be better prepared when we come back."

Foodle
2014-11-14, 10:21 PM
Feeling slightly refreshed and with the route decided on, the party climbs over their makeshift barricade securing the room and starts it march along the tunnel leading to the east. It wasn't long before the ground started to rise as the tunnel corkscrewed upwards, bring them to another widened out area where the ceiling has either been mined out another 10ft or this is just a natural pocket in the mountainside.

In the middle of this chamber is a 10ft high ledge that connects to the south-west corner of the room, the tunnel continues around this where it splits again, with a path heading northwards and another carrying on to the east. Both of them appear to lead upwards and disappear in, what you're now becoming familiar with, one of the corkscrew bends the miners use to ascend or descend while tunneling.

niks97cobra
2014-11-15, 04:38 PM
"So you want to find the entrance, Biggles?" Dragul asks.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-15, 07:40 PM
"An entrance at least," Biggles agreed. "I THINK going eastward would get us closer to the entrance, but I have no sense for direction in a place like this," he admitted.

niks97cobra
2014-11-16, 02:47 AM
"I was thinking the opposite," Dragul disagrees.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-16, 11:44 AM
"Well I have all the instinct of a drunken mole rat, so I'll take your call over mine. When it comes to directions, at least," the gnome added wryly. He was smarter than anyone here by a long shot, but the unfortunate thing about intelligence is it tended to dull your instincts. That was his excuse for being so hopeless with directions anyway.

As he said though he was smarter than the others. And the smart thing to do was to scout both passages with his familiar before they stepped into either one. Tossing his owl off his shoulder, Baron Von Spooky took flight.

Foodle
2014-11-16, 04:22 PM
Baron Von Spooky takes off down the northern tunnel first, heading up the spiral and coming to a small room. This dusty, 10-foot-high cave contains several splintered cots and four intact (but empty) chicken coops. Carved above a circular hole in the eastern wall are some Dwarvish runes.

Returning back to the party, the owl continues on to explore the eastern tunnel. Rising around the corkscrew shaft he comes to a stretch of leveled tunnel leading towards an opening in the distance. Silhouetted against the afternoon sun at the mouth of the tunnel is a small figure that appears to be standing there waiting.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-16, 06:25 PM
We have someone waiting east, and empty coops north," Biggles reported. "North seems the best way to go then. The coops had to be where the chickens upstairs came from, so if they escaped from there there has to be a way to get from where htey escape to up where we were before. It means we might need to fight the things, but it's the best lead we have."

r2d2go
2014-11-16, 06:33 PM
Osrik frowns. But... tha way's out! Didn't ye say ye wanted ta' go ta' tha surface? Even if tha waitin' guy is trouble, everythin' here is.

DSCrankshaw
2014-11-16, 07:14 PM
Roland - Human Rogue

"I agree," Roland says. "Whoever this guy is, I'd rather deal with him than the chickens."

Besides, if I'm reading the map right, that guy is at the cave entrance where we came in.