PDA

View Full Version : PrC Prereq's

Jonrea
2007-03-15, 07:17 PM
8 ranks in balance are required for Bloodstorm Blade.

Can these ranks be taken when levelled? i.e., I'm level 4 with 7 ranks, so at my level up I can take BB and put that last rank into balance, qualifying myself for BB?

I'm guessing I'd have to wait till level 5, but hey, its a try.

Swordguy
2007-03-15, 07:23 PM
You meet the prerequs BEFORE you gain your first level in a PrC. You'll be 6th level when you may choose to take Bloodstorm Blade, assuming your rank goes into balance.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-15, 07:23 PM
No, you must qualify for the class to take levels in it, and skill points are only applied after you select a level.
THink of it as an order of operations like this:
Class->Feats->Skill points

Jannex
2007-03-15, 09:25 PM
No, you must qualify for the class to take levels in it, and skill points are only applied after you select a level.
THink of it as an order of operations like this:
Class->Feats->Skill points

Why would Feats come before Skills?

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-15, 09:33 PM
Why would Feats come before Skills?
Hmm..., well thats the way we do it, but really skills could happen first. So I guess its just the way we do it. Maybe Class->Feats/Skills would be better.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-15, 09:38 PM
The order put down on Pg 58 of the PHB is as follows: Class, BAB, Saves, Ability Score, HP, Skills, Feats, Spells, Class Features.

TheOOB
2007-03-15, 09:39 PM
For basically everything except PrCs, you can take the ability the level you meet the prereqs, for PrCs you need the prereq a level before you take the class.

TOAOMT
2007-03-16, 02:36 AM
Didn't know that actually... always played the other way.

Not arguing, but the other way always seemed more flavorful. Like the person has been training for the PrC and then that last skill rank is what really makes the difference, for example.

Saph
2007-03-16, 06:38 AM
8 ranks in balance are required for Bloodstorm Blade.

Can these ranks be taken when levelled? i.e., I'm level 4 with 7 ranks, so at my level up I can take BB and put that last rank into balance, qualifying myself for BB?

No, because where is the 8th rank in Balance coming from?

If it's coming from the PrC, then you've taken the PrC with only 7 ranks in Balance . . . which you can't do.

If it's coming from your base class, then by the time you have 8 ranks, you've already taken the level in the class.

Classes have skill lists, so obviously you have to pick class first, skill points second. Otherwise you wouldn't know how many skill points you had or which skills were class skills for you.

- Saph

CharPixie
2007-03-16, 11:53 AM
More flavourful, yes. But it lets you access a lot of PrCs one level sooner.

TOAOMT
2007-03-17, 05:03 AM
I suppose that's a balance issue... but considering the first time I saw it in use was as a playerI generally feel ok with it.

Saph
2007-03-17, 06:07 AM
I suppose that's a balance issue... but considering the first time I saw it in use was as a playerI generally feel ok with it.

It doesn't make sense, though. Which skill list is the rank in Balance coming from? If it's coming from your base class, then that means by the time you have 8 ranks in balance, you've taken your 5th level in your base class. If it's coming from your PrC, then you've taken the first level in your PrC with only 7 ranks in Balance, not 8.

- Saph