PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Creature - Icebreaker Shark

JamesIntrocaso
2014-10-09, 07:59 AM
A 30-foot shark which breaks through ice beneath you to sneak attack. It's the icebreaker shark! Take a look and let me know what you think!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/10/09/icebreaker-shark/

Steel Mirror
2014-10-09, 03:06 PM
It's pretty cool, I love the thematics! I can definitely visualize an encounter with this thing in my head, and as a person who was totally freaked out by Jaws as a child (yes...just as a child...), it is terrifying.

I do think it might be a bit strong for its challenge. It's attacks are slightly more powerful than the T-Rex upon which you based it, it has more HP and a higher AC, higher ability scores, and it also is designed so that it fights the PCs on ground which is entirely to its advantage, probably getting in some environmental hazards and even a surprise attack to boot. On top of that, it basically gets advantage on every attack, which I think should be enough to give it a CR bump by itself. And it's the same CR as the T-Rex, despite all that.

So it looks cool but under CR'ed, I would either boost it to CR 10 or tone down some of its attacks and maybe bump back its strength and hp.

The only other thing is that I'm not sure why the shark would use Weaken Ice when Ice Smash is so much better. I think that you were angling to have it prepare ambush grounds using weaken ice, but in that case the ambush would seem to be too good; it could just weaken ice in a football-field sized area and then smash it with one Ice Smash, making it almost impossible to escape. Not only that, but I think it sounds cooler to have it constantly using Ice Smash from below, and having the players frantically running to and fro, trying to escape it, slowly being hedged in by the shark as solid ground is replaced by deathly cold waters...

That's my opinion, anyway!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-10-09, 03:30 PM
It's pretty cool, I love the thematics! I can definitely visualize an encounter with this thing in my head, and as a person who was totally freaked out by Jaws as a child (yes...just as a child...), it is terrifying.

I do think it might be a bit strong for its challenge. It's attacks are slightly more powerful than the T-Rex upon which you based it, it has more HP and a higher AC, higher ability scores, and it also is designed so that it fights the PCs on ground which is entirely to its advantage, probably getting in some environmental hazards and even a surprise attack to boot. On top of that, it basically gets advantage on every attack, which I think should be enough to give it a CR bump by itself. And it's the same CR as the T-Rex, despite all that.

So it looks cool but under CR'ed, I would either boost it to CR 10 or tone down some of its attacks and maybe bump back its strength and hp.

The only other thing is that I'm not sure why the shark would use Weaken Ice when Ice Smash is so much better. I think that you were angling to have it prepare ambush grounds using weaken ice, but in that case the ambush would seem to be too good; it could just weaken ice in a football-field sized area and then smash it with one Ice Smash, making it almost impossible to escape. Not only that, but I think it sounds cooler to have it constantly using Ice Smash from below, and having the players frantically running to and fro, trying to escape it, slowly being hedged in by the shark as solid ground is replaced by deathly cold waters...

That's my opinion, anyway!

I do understand about Weaken Ice. You're right that may be too good and very easy to abuse.

I'll take another look at the challenge rating. I do feel like at that level, there's so much magic to counter act the effects of the water, that the shark is actually at a disadvantage compared to the T-rex. Yes, it can smash ice, but they use a spell like telekinesis to fly the shark out of the water onto land where it can't do anything.

Steel Mirror
2014-10-09, 03:34 PM
Yes, it can smash ice, but they use a spell like telekinesis to fly the shark out of the water onto land where it can't do anything.Oh, that's a good point, I tend to forget about those lateral methods of dealing with things. In that case, I would just tone back the damage and the Strength a little bit in order to bring it more into line with the T-Rex's damage potential, and keep the CR where it's at. At CR 8 there are still options for the PCs to help deal with the guy, but I think that the concentration mechanic would prevent something like a single spell mass airlifting the PCs out of danger; at the very least, there should be a few tense rounds while the ice-bound PCs try to stay alive as the caster types whip up some way to get them to safety, and that sort of thing can easily and quickly go badly from a single unlucky (or lucky, from the shark's point of view) Ice Smash!

EDIT: Oh and as to the telekinesis to lift the shark out of the water and onto land, so long as it is moved to another area of ice with water below (given its preferred hunting ground, that seems pretty likely), it can just smash its way back into the water no problem!

JamesIntrocaso
2014-10-09, 03:37 PM
EDIT: Oh and as to the telekinesis to lift the shark out of the water and onto land, so long as it is moved to another area of ice with water below (given its preferred hunting ground, that seems pretty likely), it can just smash its way back into the water no problem!

Oh that IS tricky. Well, played, Steel Mirror. Well played.