PDA

View Full Version : Newbies first game

DrStupid87
2014-10-09, 10:48 AM
Hi all.

So as the title said, I'm totally new to DnD.
Well the tabletop version at least. I've played Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate and a few others like those.

I get the gist behind DnD stuff but would love to find a beginners game if anyone knows where I can find one. I heard it's possible to do a match over skype whilst using roll20 or something like that. I did try to join a game a while ago but setting it up was a nightmare what with timezones and the two week wait for a match.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Squark
2014-10-09, 10:55 AM
Well, if you don't mind a slow pace, there's always the play by post games on this board.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-09, 01:03 PM
Have you tried your local game store for buddies to play with?

Red Fel
2014-10-09, 01:55 PM

So much this. Many areas with a rich tabletop gaming community will have game stores at which they congregate. Many of these groups will have ongoing games, as well as running tutorial-style games to introduce new players.

Another option is to find a local gaming group on a social website (like MeetUp). Same rules apply - many such groups will offer tutorial-style games to get new players into the mechanics and setting.

DrStupid87
2014-10-09, 01:56 PM

No, but I'll see if I can find something. There is a Games Workshop but I assumed it was mainly for that warhammer thing. Thanks for the tip though

DrStupid87
2014-10-09, 01:58 PM
Well, if you don't mind a slow pace, there's always the play by post games on this board.

Ah ok. Thanks. Will see what I can find.

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-09, 02:21 PM
No, but I'll see if I can find something. There is a Games Workshop but I assumed it was mainly for that warhammer thing. Thanks for the tip though

Many people multi-class between Warhammer and DnD. If you are polite, I doubt they'll mind you asking, and might even point you in the right direction. If you don't care for setting, you might even be able to adapt DnD for a Warhammer inspired setting, or play a Warhammer RPG. I've heard of Dark Heresy, so I would not be surprised if there was a Warhammer fantasy version.

By the way, are you perhaps in England?

Endarire
2014-10-09, 05:30 PM
What about asking people at work/school if they're willing to join your for tabletop D&D?