PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Hitting someone on the other side of a wall

Raunchel
2014-10-09, 11:21 AM
Once again I have a question for the playground. I am writing a background for a character (which I want to make sense with the rules) and at a certain point she is bricked into a room. She lacks any sort of teleportation magic, but as a sorcerer I think that I can get her almost any other spell, as long as it doesn't physically move her outof the room. Is there any way in which it is possible to cast spells on people outside this closed room without leaving or opening the room? The lower the level the better for the story, it really is the beginning of her character.

Venger
2014-10-09, 12:46 PM
the only way to blast bad guys on the other side of a solid barrier is "burrowing power," a feat for manifesters.

summoning a monster that could teleport to take him out would work, or a small earth elemental to glide through the wall and bonk him to presumably get his keys.

Barstro
2014-10-09, 01:31 PM
I think you could use magic jar to possess someone outside of the cell.

Troacctid
2014-10-09, 01:44 PM
You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

If she found a way to cut a window in the wall, it would open up her line of effect without providing her an escape on its own.

andysowhat
2014-10-09, 01:48 PM
I guess the easiest thing would make the sorcerer have like a familiar that gives him line of sight to the outside. and then think about lightning strikes from the sky. because seeing through a familiars eyes would give line of sight?!?

VoxRationis
2014-10-09, 01:50 PM
That's not quite how familiars work, at least not by default.

@ Troacctid: Perhaps the DM could rule that a cold spell freezes water poured between the cracks in the walls. That would erode a small hole over time.

Telonius
2014-10-09, 01:56 PM
AFB at the moment, but I feel like there should be something using the Plane of Shadow that could accomplish this.

Venger
2014-10-09, 01:57 PM
I think you could use magic jar to possess someone outside of the cell.

nope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) like almost all spells, you need line of effect from the jar to the person whose body you want to steal.

andysowhat
2014-10-09, 01:58 PM
That's not quite how familiars work, at least not by default.

@ Troacctid: Perhaps the DM could rule that a cold spell freezes water poured between the cracks in the walls. That would erode a small hole over time.

Oh right I ment using this with it. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/share-senses

or even http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/scrying

thematgreen
2014-10-09, 02:13 PM
the only way to blast bad guys on the other side of a solid barrier is "burrowing power," a feat for manifesters.

summoning a monster that could teleport to take him out would work, or a small earth elemental to glide through the wall and bonk him to presumably get his keys.

I second the small earth elemental. My group was in a similar situation and I summoned a small earth elmental, had it burrow through the dirt floor and up outside to grab the keys and bring them back.

Venger
2014-10-09, 02:16 PM
I second the small earth elemental. My group was in a similar situation and I summoned a small earth elmental, had it burrow through the dirt floor and up outside to grab the keys and bring them back.

the reserve feat "summon elemental" is great for this.

Bronk
2014-10-09, 02:28 PM
Too bad sorcerers can't cast earthquake!

How about this... cast silence on the wall, cast an image spell of a wall on the wall, then blast a hole through the wall, then adjust the image (or recast the illusion). The sorcerer would be able to see and cast through their own illusion just fine but still be stealthy about it.

Barstro
2014-10-09, 03:00 PM
(Magic Jar) nope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) like almost all spells, you need line of effect from the jar to the person whose body you want to steal.

And yet, oddly, you do NOT need line of effect for the jar in the first place. A decent divination spell to know where a gem might be outside of the prison could work.

I'm rather surprised that one needs line of effect for an ethereal spirit to possess a body and mystified by why it's needed to go from the gem, but not to the gem. But RAW's RAW.

Raunchel
2014-10-10, 07:30 AM
So, if I find this gem by something like clairvoyance I can cast magic jar to take over some random schlub and wreak havoc?

Barstro
2014-10-10, 08:05 AM
So, if I find this gem by something like clairvoyance I can cast magic jar to take over some random schlub and wreak havoc?

I do not find anything in the wording of the spell suggesting otherwise. The best reason I can argue against it is that the gem is a focus, and the caster should probably have some familiarity with the focus in order to use it (as opposed to just utilizing random objects that other people might be possessing at the time).

If this is just for background story purposes, you could say that the gem was actually yours, and your captors are keeping it in the same room.

icefractal
2014-10-10, 02:54 PM
You also could cast Magic Jar (with the gem on hand) and then have a summoned earth elemental bring it outside the room, even if you needed to have it with you initially.

In fact, I had a caster using this very tactic, possessing one of his minions, just jumping to another if the first got killed. It could really freak people out if they didn't realize what was going on. "Wait, we have to fight two dozen guys who can each cast 7th level spells? Run away!"