PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me proving my friends wrong :D

andysowhat
2014-10-09, 01:28 PM
Right, so I'm starting to get experienced when it comes to D&D and I get into a silly amount of arguments when I play D&D pathfinder, with friends and similar and I'm really enjoying it so far xD {{scrubbed}}

Anyways I would be asking my questions on this thread from here on out, and probably start wandering out on other forum threads to add to the community. and on that note.

So if you play rouge wielding a shield, and have no proficiency in that shield. Would you take penalty to your reflex save? and would you be able to use evasion?!?

even better is reflex save counting as a Dexterity skill?

Drackstin
2014-10-09, 01:32 PM
Right, so I'm starting to get experienced when it comes to D&D and I get into a silly amount of arguments when I play D&D pathfinder, with friends and similar and I'm really enjoying it so far xD {{scrubbed the original}}

Anyways I would be asking my questions on this thread from here on out, and probably start wandering out on other forum threads to add to the community. and on that note.

So if you play rouge wielding a shield, and have no proficiency in that shield. Would you take penalty to your reflex save? and would you be able to use evasion?!?

even better is reflex save counting as a Dexterity skill?

no, since reflex is not a skill, you would only take the penalty to skills and to attacks. thus you can make your reflex save unhindered. also evasion only factors in armor, not shields.

EisenKreutzer
2014-10-09, 01:33 PM
A Save is not a skill, so there is no penalty for wearing a shield, even if you aren't proficient with it.

andysowhat
2014-10-12, 05:12 AM
"Step up and strike"

when I use this I get an attack of opportunity. do I get that on 5foot steps aswell?!? and can I use this when with combat reflexes. I follow up one more and one more?!?

Drackstin
2014-10-13, 07:25 AM
"Step up and strike"

when I use this I get an attack of opportunity. do I get that on 5foot steps as well?!? and can I use this when with combat reflexes. I follow up one more and one more?!?

Combat reflexes lets you take multiple AoO each round, if they are granted, so they work together, bu you don't need to use combat reflexes, its a passive feat.

as the feat chain states, you may only use step up and strike when you activate step up or following step. so you will only be able to activate this when someone takes a 5 foot step away from you. so you would only get one AoO since there is no way to get two on the same target. this may work on a target using full retreat, ask your GM if step up and strike would counter the retreating. and no it would no work on any 5 foot step you make, it only works when you can activate step up or following step.

andysowhat
2014-11-29, 08:26 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final

it says I throw my weapon damage die twice. can you add this vitalstrike and power attack to your cleave?

Snowbluff
2014-11-29, 08:54 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final

it says I throw my weapon damage die twice. can you add this vitalstrike and power attack to your cleave?

Nope. Cleave uses standard actions. However, you may add power attack.

Vital Strike simply adds your weapon dice again. So if you are swing with a 2d6 greatsword, you roll 4d6 on a vital strike them add all of your bonuses like strength and power attack.

andysowhat
2014-11-29, 09:04 AM
Nope. Cleave uses standard actions. However, you may add power attack.

Vital Strike simply adds your weapon dice again. So if you are swing with a 2d6 greatsword, you roll 4d6 on a vital strike them add all of your bonuses like strength and power attack.

as I read it you can do it once when you attack. so even if you cleave you get vital strike on ur first hit. but not on everycleave hit there after

Snowbluff
2014-11-29, 09:11 AM
as I read it you can do it once when you attack. so even if you cleave you get vital strike on ur first hit. but not on everycleave hit there after

The problem with that is that note on the side of the page saying it's normally a standard action to make an attack action.

skypse
2014-11-29, 04:00 PM

Power Attack is automatically added on every melee attack you do during the round you declared it (including AoOs) until the begining of your next turn. Power Attack is not an action and therefore doesn't count towards the "action economy" of a round.

Cleave however is a standard action which means that it cannot be used on par with any other standard action (unless it specifically says so) so you can't use it with Vital Strike.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-29, 06:05 PM
Honestly, they should allow cleave and vital strike to function together, preferably in conjunction with Spring Attack as well. Then, instead of all three of those feats being worthless above 6th level, they can remain useful.

andysowhat
2014-11-30, 08:24 AM
right now im sitting here thinking why I should get cleave at all, if I can't combine them with vital strike and said spring attack. why not just use whirlwind attack?!? :/

Edit: oh right I can't combine whirlwind with monkey lunge. but monkey lunge works like power attack right?!? just say it and then its applied to all ur attacks?!?