PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 1-level divine PrC dip with a "bonus"?

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 03:52 PM
I'm looking for a 1-level prestige class which offers both "+1 level of existing (divine) spellcasting class" and something extra which

isn't a domain
isn't Supernatural or Spell-like
doesn't require higher than 2nd level spellcasting to enter

I need a "filler" level before getting to the prestige class I really want. I started with Cloistered Cleric, and I've already come up with a list of prestige classes which grant domains (see the spoiler, below). I've got all the domains I can fit into the mix, but I'm still one level short. If you look at the Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) class table you'll see that it's basically featureless after 1st level. Obviously something is better than nothing in terms of class features. Every class is going to offer a bump to saves with a 1-level dip, so that's not anything special. +1 BAB for a single level is better than nothing, so that's worth mentioning. Anything else would be a nice benefit; please post if you've got a helpful suggestion.

Thanks, folks!

Prestige Classes Granting Domains

Prestige Class (feats; deity; domains)SourceSpellcasting TypeDomainsLevelsBAB

Holt Warden (ECL 5) Complete Champion 84divine spellcasting onlyPlant 1¾

Ordained Champion (requires Weapon Focus with deity's favored weapon; Hextor or Heironeous)Complete Champion 90divine spellcasting only (not @ 1st)War (but no granted power for non-Clerics)11

Church InquisitorComplete Divine 26divine spellcasting onlyInquisition1¾

ContemplativeComplete Divine 30divine spellcasting onlyAny available to your deity or alignment1, 6½

Divine Oracle (requires Skill Focus (Knowledge [religion]))Complete Divine 34any spellcastingOracle1½

Radiant Servant of Pelor (requires Extra Turning; Pelor)Complete Divine 52divine spellcasting onlyGlory, Purification, or one of Pelor's5¾

Rainbow ServantComplete Divine 54arcane spellcasting only; not @ 1st, 4th, 7th, 10thGood, Air, Law1, 4, 7½

Seeker of the Misty IsleComplete Divine 61any spellcasting (divine required); not @ 5th & 10thTravel, Magic1, 7¾

Warpriest (requires Combat Casting)Complete Divine 74divine spellcasting only (even levels only)Glory (turn undead) or Domination (rebuke undead)11

Earthshaker (ECL 9) Dragon # 314 57any spellcastingEarth 1¾

Knight of the Raven (ECL 7) Expedition to Castle Ravenloft 200divine spellcasting only (not @ 1st)Sun 31

Auspician (requires Dodge, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes; Luck)Faiths and Pantheons 185any spellcastingFate1¾

Horned Harbinger (requires Myrkul)Faiths and Pantheons 197no spellcastingDeath 1¾

Nightcloak (requires Iron Will, Shadow Weave Magic, Spell Focus (Enchantment, Illusion, or Necromancy), and Pernicious Magic or Tenacious Magic; Shar; Darkness (if Cleric))Faiths and Pantheons 198any spellcastingDarkness domain spell access only (do not gain domain power or domain slots if you don’t already have them) 1¾

Ocular Adept (requires Great Mother)Faiths and Pantheons 200new Cleric spellcastingAny two of the following: Evil, Hatred, Law, Strength, Tyranny 1¾

Silverstar (requires Blind-Fight, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack; Selûne)Faiths and Pantheons 201divine spellcasting onlyMoon domain spell access only (do not gain domain power or domain slots if you don’t already have them) 1¾

Techsmith (requires Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus (craft); Gond)Faiths and Pantheons 206divine spellcasting onlyOne from Gond’s domains: Artifice, Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal, Planning 3½

Waveservant (requires Endurance, Weapon Focus (trident); Umberlee)Faiths and Pantheons 209divine spellcasting onlyOcean domain spell access only (do not gain domain power or domain slots if you don’t already have them) 1¾

Wearer of Purple (requires Iron Will, Spell Focus (Necromancy))Faiths and Pantheons 210any spellcastingOne bonus domain from the following: Death, Evil, Scalykind 1½

Windwalker (requires Lightning Reflexes, Track, Weapon Focus (greatsword); Shaundakul)Faiths and Pantheons 212divine spellcasting onlyAir and Travel domain spell access only (do not gain domain power or domain slots if you don’t already have them) 11

Sovereign Speaker (requires Worldly Focus; Sovereign Host)Faiths of Eberron 32divine spellcasting only (not @ 1st & 6th)Any from the deities of the Sovereign Host, but no more than two from any one deity1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9¾

Divine DisciplePlayer's Guide to Faerûn 51divine spellcasting onlyAny one of your deity’s domains 4¾

Eye of Horus-Re (requires Alertness, Extra Turning; Sun)Player's Guide to Faerûn 54Cleric spellcasting only (not @ 1st)One from Horus-Re's domains: Good, Law, Nobility, Retribution 5¾

Singer of Concordance (requires Io) (ECL 7) Races of the Dragon 91any spellcastingChoose from: Dragon, Healing, Knowledge, Magic, Strength, Travel, Wealth 2½

Snowbluff
2014-10-09, 04:08 PM
I don't think it exists. We're looking for a full BaB Divine PrC with only EX abilities and no lost CL. I can't even think of a Divine PrC that doesn't use Supernatural abilites.

I guess Nosomatic Chiurgeon? I guess it counts... not Full BaB.

bekeleven
2014-10-09, 04:10 PM
What level are you entering this, and what class skills will you have access to? Assuming you've already vetoed all classes in your spoiler, I'm thinking of Paragnostic Apostle, Hexer if you're an orc shugenja or something, or even Ruathar if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Do note that that Dracolyte grants a Prestige Domain, but it's not good at first level.

eggynack
2014-10-09, 04:17 PM
I dunno if it's a thing you particularly care about, but it looks like your list is missing talontar blightlord from unapproachable east, which grants the blightbringer prestige domain at first level. Don't think it's an especially useful thing on a cleric, or most classes really, but it's a thing of some kind.

dysprosium
2014-10-09, 04:25 PM
Sacred Fist, Sunmaster (Lost Empires of Faerun), Dracolyte, Moonspeaker, and Fochlucan Lyrist fit your criteria but might not be to helpful for your build.

ben-zayb
2014-10-09, 04:47 PM
Tainted Sorcerer?

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 05:00 PM
Nosomatic Chiurgeon's Pestilential Touch is Supernatural, but the other two 1st-level abilities are worth a look. Hexer's Hex class ability is Spell-like, so it doesn't fit my criterion. Dracolyte's prestige domains conflict with regular Clerical domains with the same names, so that's not going to work, either.

Sacred Fist is an excellent suggestion; thanks, dysprosium. I'm afraid the other PrCs are too specific to work with what I have in mind.

Basically I need entry to a PrC which requires casting 3rd level spells; before I get there, I'm willing to explore any casting-advancing PrC if it offers something extra besides that. (The DM is OK with feat-shuffling shenanigans, so I can meet the prerequisites and then change the feats around for the next prestige class since I'll only be taking a single level and won't need to maintain the entry requirements.) This is for a high-level build designed around using Initiate of Mystra and Antimagic Field. That feat only lets me cast spells in an Antimagic Field, though; Supernatural and Spell-like abilities remain shut down.

ranagrande
2014-10-09, 05:42 PM
Ruathar maybe?

Endarire
2014-10-09, 05:54 PM
Deities and Demigods has a Soldier of Light PrC that may be worth it.

Karnith
2014-10-09, 05:55 PM
Dragonslayer 1 offers +1 BAB, +1 casting, two good saves, and a small Extraordinary damage bonus against Dragons, in addition to some weapon and armor proficiencies (looks like you've already got those), making it passable filler.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 06:00 PM
Ruathar maybe?
I'm afraid I overlooked that one. I thought it required casting 3rd-level spells, but that's just one of the ways to qualify. Thanks for the tip, though I'm not sure how I'd justify the "perform a great service to an elf community" requirement in the build.
Deities and Demigods has a Soldier of Light PrC that may be worth it.
That doesn't advance existing spellcasting, though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-09, 06:38 PM
As far as domains are concerned: Have you considered the Arcane Disciple ACF? It lets you nab a few wizard spells, and since you give up a domain, you don't have to worry about wasting a free PrC-granted domain. Not quite what you were looking for, but it's a thought.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 06:52 PM
As far as domains are concerned: Have you considered the Arcane Disciple ACF? It lets you nab a few wizard spells, and ...
You can't qualify for that without existing arcane spellcasting.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-09, 06:54 PM
You can't qualify for that without existing arcane spellcasting.

Whoops! Sorry. Meant the Divine Magician alternate class feature (Complete Mage p. 33), not the feat from Complete Divine. I just can't keep those two straight :smallredface:

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 07:13 PM
Whoops! Sorry. Meant the Divine Magician alternate class feature (Complete Mage p. 33), not the feat from Complete Divine. I just can't keep those two straight :smallredface:
That screws over Cloistered Cleric in a big way because of the way it's written:
Replaces: You gain only one domain (including spells and granted power) at 1st level, rather than two. So you'd get 1 domain rather than 2 (regular Cleric) or 3 (Cloistered version).

Palanan
2014-10-09, 07:17 PM
Since the wording indicates two domains are the default, I'd assume that they weren't thinking of the cloistered cleric. Seems simplest to assume it drops a cloistered cleric from three domains to two, which doesn't seem too terrible.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-09, 08:24 PM
Combat Medic? Bone Knight? Prestige Paladin?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-10-09, 09:06 PM
Since the wording indicates two domains are the default, I'd assume that they weren't thinking of the cloistered cleric. Seems simplest to assume it drops a cloistered cleric from three domains to two, which doesn't seem too terrible.

This is Curmudgeon we are talking about, he plays as RAW as it is humanly possible, so if the ACF says you get one domain, you get one domain.

There is Keeper of the Cerulean Sigil, which requires a decent amount of skill points, Aberration Bane magic and craft wondrous item; the it had d6 HD, 6+int SP/level and full caster advancement. The thing is that Detect Aberrant taint is a) campaign dependant and b) an Sp ability.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-09, 10:30 PM
Combat Medic? Bone Knight? Prestige Paladin?
Combat Medic's Healing Kicker level 1 ability is Supernatural and won't work in an Antimagic Field. Bone Knight doesn't advance casting at level 1. Prestige Paladin is only available if base Paladin is off-limits, which it isn't.

ranagrande
2014-10-09, 10:39 PM
There's also Sentinel of Bharrai to get Track as a bonus feat, but it costs two exalted feats to take it.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-09, 11:40 PM
Auspician, Faiths and Pantheons: gets the Fate domain, but also gets 1/d +20 luck to an attack roll, ex ability. Advances casting, but 3/4 BAB. Kind of weird entry reqs though.

Demonwrecker, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that increases your ability to breach SR.

Earth Dreamer, Races of Stone: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that makes earth creatures always friendly to you.

Elemental Archon, Faiths and Pantheons: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, untyped ability that gives you mephit minions.

Heartwarder, Faiths and Pantheons: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that gives +1 inherent to CHA.

Holt Warden, Complete Champion: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that gives +2 to two akills, another that lets you spontaneously convert spells to plant domain spells.

Snowbluff
2014-10-09, 11:42 PM
I forgot to say "you're welcome." He even takes the time to thank us ahead of time, and I was all so rude.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-10, 12:09 AM
Auspician, Faiths and Pantheons: gets the Fate domain, but also gets 1/d +20 luck to an attack roll, ex ability. Advances casting, but 3/4 BAB. Kind of weird entry reqs though.
Yeah, that one's already on the list. As I mentioned in the original post, I've got all the domain-granting PrCs I can fit into the build.

Demonwrecker, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that increases your ability to breach SR.
Elemental Archon, Faiths and Pantheons: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, untyped ability that gives you mephit minions.

Heartwarder, Faiths and Pantheons: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that gives +1 inherent to CHA.

Holt Warden, Complete Champion: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that gives +2 to two akills, another that lets you spontaneously convert spells to plant domain spells. These all require 3rd level casting.

Earth Dreamer, Races of Stone: 3/4 BAB, advances casting, ex ability that makes earth creatures always friendly to you.
That's one I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the tip.