PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Throw on an item?

Petrakiss
2014-10-09, 09:22 PM
Hello,

So with magic items you can take a spell and put it on an item you want for a cost. (if your getting npc to make it).
What I want to know is can I put the spell "Tornado Throw" onto an item as a 1/day per use? Would I need to find a swordsage to make it?

Bluydee
2014-10-09, 09:29 PM
Tornado Throw is a maneuver, not a spell.

malonkey1
2014-10-09, 09:30 PM
Hello,

So with magic items you can take a spell and put it on an item you want for a cost. (if your getting npc to make it).
What I want to know is can I put the spell "Tornado Throw" onto an item as a 1/day per use? Would I need to find a swordsage to make it?

You can not, by RAW, do that. You can put it on an item and then effectively add it to your known maneuvers. Then it becomes 1/encounter. AFB at the moment, so I can't remember the name of the item, but it's in the Tome of Battle.

paperarmor
2014-10-09, 09:55 PM
Master Slippers or Setting Sun Tomb of Battle 45000 gp. Note that it isn't a spell but a manouver form the tome of battle as such your Dm mileage may vary.

WhamBamSam
2014-10-09, 10:13 PM
Martial Scrips are also a thing. I don't usually bother with them, but that could give you a single use of a maneuver, not unlike a scroll.

All the ToB maneuver granting items require you to meet the prereqs for the maneuver though. So you can't just hand it off to the party speed demon.

Petrakiss
2014-10-09, 10:24 PM
Martial Scrips are also a thing. I don't usually bother with them, but that could give you a single use of a maneuver, not unlike a scroll.

All the ToB maneuver granting items require you to meet the prereqs for the maneuver though. So you can't just hand it off to the party speed demon.

Ah cool Didnt know there was kinda a scroll like function "Martial Scrips"

So If i meat the requirements I can use that maneuver.

Setting Sun (Strike)
Level: Swordsage 9 (Five Setting Sun maneuvers),

So the strike I can do, but I guess since i'm not a swordsage I carnt use it.... Well At least I can use Martial scrips then XD

WhamBamSam
2014-10-09, 10:38 PM
Martial Scrips also require you to meet prereqs. 5 Setting Sun maneuvers and an initiator level of 17. You might be able to emulate the latter with UMD, and you might be able to use less powerful Setting Sun items (say Sandals carrying all the level 1 Setting Sun stuff), Martial Study/Stance feats (either taken normally or nabbed temporarily through Heroics or something).

Actually, anyone who meets the prereqs for Tornado Throw can get a 2/day item of Tornado Throw in the form of an Eternal Wand of Heroics.

The bottom line though, is that getting Tornado Throw is always going to eat up significant build resources and there's really no way around that.

Petrakiss
2014-10-09, 11:18 PM
Martial Scrips also require you to meet prereqs. 5 Setting Sun maneuvers and an initiator level of 17. You might be able to emulate the latter with UMD, and you might be able to use less powerful Setting Sun items (say Sandals carrying all the level 1 Setting Sun stuff), Martial Study/Stance feats (either taken normally or nabbed temporarily through Heroics or something).

Actually, anyone who meets the prerequisite for Tornado Throw can get a 2/day item of Tornado Throw in the form of an Eternal Wand of Heroics.

The bottom line though, is that getting Tornado Throw is always going to eat up significant build resources and there's really no way around that.

*Bows towards WhamBamSam* thank you for your great information :D. Ok so what example would it be to get tornado throw , even though as you said it will "eat up significant build resources "

So for arguments say a cleric wanted to learn tornado. Would he have to get the feat Martial Study "the key skill for the chosen discipline becomes a class skill for all of your classes (current and future)" so at level 17 he can get the maneuver "Tornado Throw" ?

Troacctid
2014-10-09, 11:28 PM
*Bows towards WhamBamSam* thank you for your great information :D. Ok so what example would it be to get tornado throw , even though as you said it will "eat up significant build resources "

So for arguments say a cleric wanted to learn tornado. Would he have to get the feat Martial Study "the key skill for the chosen discipline becomes a class skill for all of your classes (current and future)" so at level 17 he can get the maneuver "Tornado Throw" ?

No, if you're not an initiator class, your initiator level is equal to half your level. He'd have to be level 34. He'd still need to know five Setting Sun maneuvers too, so without any Swordsage levels, that means taking the Martial Study feat three times and Martial Stance twice. Getting 9th level maneuvers isn't easy.

A better way would be for him to take levels in Ruby Knight Vindicator, which would advance his Cleric casting and his initiator level. A Cleric 9/RKV 10/Swordsage 1 would have an initiator level of 15 (1 from Swordsage, 10 from RKV, and 4 from Cleric)--still not high enough, but getting closer.

Petrakiss
2014-10-09, 11:35 PM
No, if you're not an initiator class, your initiator level is equal to half your level. He'd have to be level 34. He'd still need to know five Setting Sun maneuvers too, so without any Swordsage levels, that means taking the Martial Study feat three times and Martial Stance twice. Getting 9th level maneuvers isn't easy.

A better way would be for him to take levels in Ruby Knight Vindicator, which would advance his Cleric casting and his initiator level. A Cleric 9/RKV 10/Swordsage 1 would have an initiator level of 15 (1 from Swordsage, 10 from RKV, and 4 from Cleric)--still not high enough, but getting closer.

ah damn >.< I wanted to give tornado to my companion..... well at least I can take low level ones for it.