PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] EDIT: Help me make something broken

JackRackham
2014-10-09, 11:13 PM
So, I have a simple question for the playground. What are some good items/feats/dips for negating or resisting mind control, or for quickly boosting one's will save, in Pathfinder?

The character is currently a Tiefling Slayer 6/Warlord 1 with 8 Wisdom (a beefy bonus of +1 to will saves).

I just got dominated by what turned out to be a vampire, and made to attempt to kill my in-character adopted (Aasimar) brother. Our character background is that we're sworn fiend-hunters, who believe we're prophesied to rid the world of demonic and diabolic influence. In-character, I'm determined to never be used this way again, turned against my brother and party, and I'm aware that this weakness will not serve in fights with powerful fiends.

Out of character, getting mind-controlled sucks. So, what can I do about it?

Note: No 3.5 material is allowed, as I stupidly laughed maniacally when the DM mentioned they were open to 3.5 material and to an extended monologue about how I would double my damage output in one feat (leap attack) as an appetizer, before getting serious about making my character into a monster.

EDIT: In addition, as explained in my next post, I would like any help you all can provide in making broken things in Pathfinder, just in case I catch another fatal case of DM shenanigans.

Psyren
2014-10-09, 11:41 PM
Protection from Evil will block any attempts by a vampire to dominate you, even if you fail your save. A Clear Spindle ioun stone + Wayfinder will provide constant protection.

Malroth
2014-10-10, 12:31 AM
Its pretty much skewed to the point where Mind control focused characters like Beguilers or Mindbenders are completely unplayable as 50% of the monster manual has Fiat immunity and the rest can carry 24/7 immunity with a 1st lv spell.

Psyren
2014-10-10, 12:33 AM
Its pretty much skewed to the point where Mind control focused characters like Beguilers or Mindbenders are completely unplayable as 50% of the monster manual has Fiat immunity and the rest can carry 24/7 immunity with a 1st lv spell.

Not in Pathfinder - their protection has to match your alignment to work, so an Enchanter or similar character in PF would simply have to be TN and he could get around all of the protection spells. Furthermore, Mind Blank is only a resistance bonus in PF, not full immunity.

But because Vampires are all evil, Pro: Evil works perfectly for this.

JackRackham
2014-10-10, 08:05 PM
That's perfect, thank you guys very much. As long as I've got a thread open here, I have another question. What are some of the most broken things you can think of to make in Pathfinder? If this were 3.5, I wouldn't need to ask this question, but Pathfinder just has a lot less options, so I might need some help.

I ask because my DM killed another party member and me yesterday (we got better) by throwing a CR 12 encounter at a level seven party in the first place, and neglecting to flatfoot an enemy whose initiative I beat. So, mistakes happen, but it annoyed me (there were a bunch of other issues, some of which seem more intentional) and if it happens again, I intend to make a replacement character. And I intend to smash any plans he might have to broken bits, along with his suspiciously effective DMPC.

gartius
2014-10-10, 08:15 PM
Lets see...

am barbarian build-bonus points if you ride a summoner into battle

optimised geyser shenanigans

gundolan

theres probably others just those are the big three i think of off the top of my head

emeraldstreak
2014-10-10, 08:18 PM
first step to not tpk-ing is building the party correctly, i.e. Ive had a 4-player party for Kingmaker defeat a shambling mound at lvl 1 and willowisp at lvl 2 (random encounters are crazy in Kingmaker). That party had their bases covered though.

It's completely natural to send CR 12 vs party of lvl 7s, esp. 5+ players.

Broken? The synthesist can be. For a simply powerful character, Mountain Druid from lvl 12 on is.

Anlashok
2014-10-10, 08:47 PM
Broken? The synthesist can be.

Synthesist is purely inferior to a straight summoner.

For "Broken" You're looking at a Wizard (and his variant classes), Master Summoner or Witch. They're all strong and very likely to make the game significantly less fun for anyone involved. Clerics and Oracles are awesome too, but tend to be in the background a bit more. Shaman is also great.

emeraldstreak
2014-10-10, 09:21 PM
Synthesist is purely inferior to a straight summoner.

For "Broken" You're looking at a Wizard (and his variant classes), Master Summoner or Witch. They're all strong and very likely to make the game significantly less fun for anyone involved. Clerics and Oracles are awesome too, but tend to be in the background a bit more. Shaman is also great.

Typo. Meant Summoner.

The witch and the wizard can be, but esp. at low-mid lvls they need more optimization than the summoner. This forum is littered with threads about unsuccessful parties featuring wizards/witches including the recent hilarious favorite about the fighter with weapon spec.

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-10, 09:29 PM
optimised geyser shenanigans

Could someone please tell me what these shenanigans are? I've asked before but got no answer.

Anlashok
2014-10-10, 09:34 PM
Typo. Meant Summoner.

The witch and the wizard can be, but esp. at low-mid lvls they need more optimization than the summoner. This forum is littered with threads about unsuccessful parties featuring wizards/witches including the recent hilarious favorite about the fighter with weapon spec.

Wizard maybe, but I wouldn't put the witch there, seen a lot of stories of games where a witch just picks Slumber and Evil Eye because they think they look cool and then suddenly the DM is making rocks fall on their character's head.

JackRackham
2014-10-10, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, I guess I should clarify. I guess I didn't mean broken. I'm not looking for Pun-Pun or a diplomancer. If I get boned again, I want my revenge to be more subtle (this guy really isn't comfortable with competence).

I'm looking for something like a gnowhere gnome* or a really well-built charge build with some dungeoncrasher sprinkled on it, or a lockdown build, or a batman wizard, or ideas I can incorporate to build something on those lines. What I want is a playable character that a DM who's not *super* up on things won't be able to challenge in the slightest.

*Gnowhere Gnome: http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3551436

PS: I know it's not that tough to challenge a charge build or *most* lockdown builds. But, versions I've built (in 3.5) incorporating some extra knockback damage have been received like voodoo by this guy in the past.

NamelessNPC
2014-10-10, 10:03 PM
Could someone please tell me what these shenanigans are? I've asked before but got no answer.

Geyser + dazing spell + persistent spell. Pump the dc with spell focus, etc. Take the magical lineage trait to get a -1 adjustment to metamagic and havoc of the society trait to add 1 force damage (so you can daze fire immune enemies). Rejoice as your enemies need to save twice per turn or be dazed.

Edit: forgot to add spell perfection. Spell perfection rocks

Der_DWSage
2014-10-11, 03:33 AM
Might I recommend you invest in some helmets? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cyclops-helm)

Those things, combined with a scythe-wielding power-attacking character, really are unfair...and it's pretty minimal on the build side of things. And of course, you can use it as your Get Out Of Domination Free card.

Aside from that? If you want to make him cry from sheer damage output, be a cavalier. Specifically, get a mount that starts with 14 strength and gets bumped up by +8. Get Spirited Charge, and go for the Order of the Sword, so you add your mount's strength to your charge damage. Even low-balling your strength and possible enchantments, you'll do enough damage to rip most things apart.

Assuming 18 strength from the Cavalier and 25 strength from the mount, a +2 Lance with Spirited Charge and Power Attack at level 8... (As I'm assuming your new character would be roughly the same level, and it'd take a while to kill you.)

6 damage from strength*1.5, 6.5 damage from lance (2+average), 9 damage from power attack, and then tripled by the charge, becomes 64.5, plus the mount's +7, becomes 71.5 damage. This is absolute worst-case scenario, as it even assumes your mount's bonus damage doesn't apply before the tripled damage. If it applies before, it becomes 103.5. (Assuming he lets you add your strength modifiers together and then multiply by 3, at least.)

If you're Challenging at 8th level, it becomes 95.5/127.5, depending on that previous ruling. And if you decide to pull out all the stops and use that Cyclops Helm I linked earlier for a critical hit, that's 286.5/382.5 damage. Rip through his unstoppable superbosses like they're made of paper.

While it's true that you could make him cry via Wizard shenanigans, Cleric shenanigans, Eidolon Shenanigans, or other things...it takes a special kind of man to take a tier 5 class and make him suffer.

EDIT:Whups, made a math error. Fixed now.

Sayt
2014-10-11, 04:37 AM
Y'all want Mind Butts armor. (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicArmorDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mind%20Buttressing )

Other than that, the Cyclops hat Der_DWsage is right about the cyclops hat, it's a pretty big screw you, and it's cheap enough to put a few on the same item.

JackRackham
2014-10-11, 09:54 AM
Love the item recommendations. Thank you, guys. As to the Cavalier, I'll add this to my list of build things to investigate, but I was already considering mounted combat on my current character and decided that since this DM loves putting us in physical dungeons, it might be a waste to invest 3 feats in a build whose damage he could cut in half just by narrowing the halls (I was planning to go with a flying mount, like a Griffon). TL:DR, I'll look into it, but it might be too easy to nerf, even for him.

Der_DWSage
2014-10-11, 03:46 PM
Simple answer to that, actually. At least, as a Cavalier or something else that allows your beastie to level up. Take Narrow Frame (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/narrow-frame) and Slippers/Horseshoes of Feather Step (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/slippers-feather-step). Your only issue at that point is people stepping up to you, but judicious use of Ride-By Attack can typically take care of that-especially on a flying mount. There's also the feat that lets you turn whilst charging, though I can't recall the name of it offhand...