PDA

View Full Version : The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

namo
2007-05-02, 07:47 AM
Adalmar

Hand on the pommel of his sword, he looks from Lissa to Elthan and back.

Frojoe21
2007-05-02, 09:16 AM
Aeroz

"Katrin, sometimes wizards don't want to been seen by their rivals. Making something invisible to magical detection would not always make it invisible to plain sight. Though I'd ask Callos about this. I'm just remembering some basic information from my training." Aeroz states as he draws his rapier in preparation for what may be waiting inside the obelisk.

Koji
2007-05-02, 10:06 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael nods as Aeroz speaks.

"I'm no wizard, I don't really get how this crap works, but I imagine there could be some kind of spell that simply shuts out my detection ability."

He frowns.

"If that's not the case, though, I have no clue what's going on here. Though I bet I know who does."

HempRope
2007-05-02, 12:35 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

His curiosity piqued, Achkby casts the same spell Khazrael had, puzzled by the other sorcerer's description of his perception.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-02, 01:49 PM
Elthan

Elthan takes a step back as the door opens, not certain precisely why it had opened. He nods in agreement with Khazrael that the tower may not be connected to the weave, but states his puzzlement to the described image. "It's certainly an interesting metaphor to the phenomena."

If the door is magic, but the tower is not connected to the weave, I wonder what exactly these towers are for...

Though Elthan was not facing the group when he turned around, for a brief moment as his eyes narrowed at the gnome, some pain could be seen at the mention of Evandurs death. The pain in his face fades quickly as it is replaced by agitation.

"No, Lissa, I don't think I will," he says in a slow, bitter manner, "Or at least not to one as insufferable as you."

After a second, he seems surprised that he had said such, but turns away to face the door again. As he marches into the tower, he closes the door by will alone.

(OOC: Once in the tower, Casting Close. Assuming it's not anti-magic, the door should close.)

Phasm
2007-05-02, 08:16 PM
Lissa

"INSUFFERABLE?! I'M INSUFFERABLE?! Why, you lying, murdering, kobold-hearted, maggot-brained, son of a flea-ridden DRETCH! Get out here and say that to my face, puling milk-livered goblin-hearted eunuch! What's the matter, can't take on one little gnome? BETRAYER! BLACKGUARD!" An angry human woman shrieking insults at the top of her lungs is quite bad enough. Gnomes, however, have higher-pitched voices than tallfolk. Lissa continues in this often-blasphemous vein for some time, at earsplitting volume and in several languages. That door would have to be either pretty darn thick or magically soundproofed for Elthan not to get some idea of what's going on... which is probably the point. In a last bit of spite, Lissa pulls her ghostly quartet of lights out of the building. Let him burn his own magic to light his path.

kuja.girl
2007-05-02, 08:43 PM
Tiriel

After admiring the view Tiriel turns back to examining the tower "roof." After giving the stones a quick once-over, Tiriel spends some time examining the round stone in the center. She doesn't rule out the possibility of traps, but also figures that it would be unusual to trap a tower roof.

bhdrake
2007-05-03, 03:04 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy folds his arms across his chest, letting an impassive mask slip over his features,

"This is why I advocated killing him, ya know. He's a liability, and whatever his intentions are, he ain't ever gonna be trustworthy."

Dr._Bob
2007-05-04, 05:55 AM
Tiriel examines the disc curiously. There does not appear to be any way to open it from the outside as best she can tell. She pries at the stone with his fingers, but even with all of her strength, she can't get the stone to budge.

Shrugging, she looks down at her friends gathered about the base of the tower. With a leap, she dives downward for several seconds before unfurling her wings and gliding to a gentle landing in front of the tower's entrance.

Elthan's dramatic storming into the castle was somewhat spoiled when the black stone door fails to slam shut completely (perhaps it's too heavy?). Instead, the door sits half ajar, like a loose tooth.

Lissa recalls her dancing lights and they spiral about her like enthusiastic puppies. Meanwhile, Achkby narrows his eyes and confirms the unusual nature of the tower reported by Khazrael.

Several other members of the party nod in agreement as Lumpy speaks. On the other hand, the darkness brings with it an additional chill. Sinister or not, the black tower appears to offer your only option for shelter.

Koji
2007-05-04, 12:38 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael ducks under the half-open door and moves uncomfortably close to Elthan. He says nothing, but throws him a look that just dares him to try and run off again.

Curiosity seems to rule out the need for a vindictive attitude, and Khazrael turns from the wizard to examine the interior of the tower. He allows his eyes to make a few passes over the interior before deciding to see through the weave from inside the tower. He repeats his earlier gesture and looks up expectantly.

((OOC: Casting detect magic again once inside.))

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-04, 06:01 PM
Callos

When Elthan first spoke up and ran inside of the tower, Callos froze completely as every fiber of his being stopped. There was no way Elthan could....was there? Didn't he think about what this looked like?! A silent groan was more then covered when Lissa pounded on the half shut door and began to scream profanities out into the air.

Carefully sidling past the gnome, Callos ducked underneath of the stone slab of a door and looked around thoughtfully. Hmm...this place out to do just fine...especially if it's disconnected from the Weave, it'll just mean there isn't a chance of backlash or unforseen consequences...er...well...Weave related consequences anyway.

Thinking about his own plans, not to mention looking over at Elthan with a wary eye and shaking his head to himself. "Elthan, I would like an explanation about how you opened the door. Is this tower...is it a receptacle of what we talked about? Is it safe?"

Phasm
2007-05-05, 12:21 AM
Lissa

After her initial rage has spent itself, Lissa regains enough common sense to follow Khazrael and Callos through the door, loaded crossbow at the ready. Her dancing lights swirl out and up to bob merrily at a point some ten feet in from the door and five feet up from the ground. (Plenty high from a gnomish perspective.) Once the lights have left Lissa's immediate vicinity, it becomes much harder to see her...

Lissa's voice echoes from the dark recesses of the room's opposite side. "We're still waiting for an answer, Elthan dear. Some of us aren't easy sleeping at night with a murderer, you know. After all, we could be next." The voice suddenly moves behind Elthan. "Do you remember the tale of the scorpion and the swan? I've no desire to end up like the swan... and I can see where the scorpion is now."

OOC: Ghost sound FTW! :smallbiggrin:
[roll0]

namo
2007-05-05, 01:33 AM
Adalmar

There is no need to think, he knows what he must answer to the Orc. "If we kill him like that, we are no better than him. It's out of the question. He must be judged." He is not forceful, for he states a simple truth.

With a last look at the sky, he strolls into the tower. He decides to leave Kir to roam as he wishes - the proud hawk has earned it.

Callos' cryptic words make him uneasy. He mutters under his breath : "Mages will twist words until North becomes South."

"Couldn't you be plainer, mage ?"

Yet, indecision has returned. He eyes the tower with even more distrust than before.

blackfox
2007-05-05, 08:53 AM
Katrin

Katrin is immediately suspicious of Callos after he demands an explanation. He's hiding something from us...

"I agree with Aldamar. Besides, I am quite curious as to why Elthan did what he did..."

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-05, 11:32 AM
Callos

Another disgruntled sigh came from the necromancer as he heard the comments from Adalmar and Katrin. Great, now he'd have those two acting all suspicious around him when he hadn't even done anything to deserve it. Well...nothing on purpose anyway. How was he supposed to know the wolf he had lightening bolted had been a werewolf? Anybody could have made that very same mistake. Best to clear up his involvement in this then.

"To answer your question then yes, I could be much plainer but I choose not to. Plainly stating such things as I'm referring to would already taint your already darkened dispositions in a way that would be both unfavorable and unjust to all present. But I'll explain what I can with what information I have, which isn't much to be perfectly honest. Lissa, I need some light over here if you wouldn't mind..."

Proceeding quickly, who knew what was in here after all, Callos reached into his pack and withdrew his spellbook and flipped to through the first couple of pages until he stopped on one of them. The picture held an illustration of a bolt of lightening on it, plainly stating what sort of spell it was.

"You all can tell what this is, right? Its a spell for conjuring up lightening to use against ones enemies. It alters and shapes nature in such a way as to bring about the desired result from the infinite possibilities of the multiverse. However, despite the supernatural qualities that it produces the magic is still a part of nature."

Again he went into his pack, this time retrieving a sheet of parchment, his quill, and inkwell. Dabbing the tip into the plain ink, his quill could be heard scratching across the parchment as he began to doodle. Figuring other people could relate to it better, Callos drew the figure of a human person and then labeled the different parts of the body with the schools of magic. Once he had finished with that, he very carefully shaded in the shadow of the person up to a certain point then ceased, not to mention not connecting the shadow to the person.

"Here's the best way that I can show this to all of you. Look, heres each school of magic that has been classified at the moment. Abjuration, conjuration, divination, enchantment, evocation, illusion, necromancy, and transmutation. Most magic-wielders tap into the entire spectrum. Some specialize in certain aspects, like myself. I'm very good with necromancy but I refuse to even learn conjuration and illusion spells. Not to mention their beyond my abilities. But for the most part, this is the whole of the Weave. But! You'll notice something in this diagram. That's because like all things, the Weave has a shadow. For lack of better words to describe it, we'll call it the anti-Weave. It's different from the normal weave because it wasn't...built in to the multiverse at it's creation. Instead it was simply added on later by another deity. Another way that it's different is it's function. From what I understand it has a much narrower spectrum then the Weave. Only necromancy and enchantment to those who use it, but they use it at a greater degree of finesse then normal Weave-users. Look, see how the shadow doesn't touch the whole? That's because this anti-Weave has nothing to do with Weave yet relies on it. So there are benefits to using this anti-Weave, provided that there are precautions taken to ward one's self from mental and physical harm, but the anti-Weave corrupts, even to the smallest degree, whatever it touches." Came the verbose lecture as Callos held out the sheet of paper for all those inside to look at even as he gave an apologetic look to Elthan. They did deserve to know, and if explaining some of Elthan's dirty little secret would convince them he probably hadn't done the deed of his on violation then it was worth it. But he knew enough about religon to realize that telling who had crafted the Shadow Weave or who Elthan had most likely contacted to gain such powers would open up a whole new can of worms.

Twisting he let a re-approving look fall on Katrin and Adalmar before speaking softly once more, the studious tone being replaced by a very acidic tongue. "Was I plain enough that time or shall I dumb it down some more? And can you see the signifigance in this place being 'disconnected from the Weave' now? It's most likely safe, but we shouldn't stay long. A night at the most if I'm right."

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-05, 12:10 PM
Elthan

Elthan takes several steps back to the wall as Khaz and Callos crawl in after him. However short a period he had been alone, it was still enough to calm his nerves, even with sudden interruption. He rolls his eyes away as the gnome attempts to throw her voice.

"Lissa, please try to be less antagonizing. Stop trying to hide in my plain sight, and for heavens sake learn some proper interpretation rather than soiling a good story with your creativity. I suppose the same to you, Callos. Stop patronizing them. I'm sure they could all cast spells by now if not for tendencies to do otherwise." To the five or so present, he address his explanation.

"There is another Weave, and no, it is not called the 'Anti-weave'. It does not oppose or contrast in any negative fashion, assuming a positive for the Weave. Rather, it exist side by side with the Weave like a shadow, hence the name.

"The door opened, as I see it, because I have a connection to this Shadow Weave. This allowed magic to flow through me were for others it would not, such as the area of dead magic this tower is no doubt built upon.

"I know nothing about this section of the worlds history. I'm so far east, I'm almost expecting to see home over the horizon. However, I can guess as to what this towers purpose was. The ones who built it must have had access to the Shadow Weave, or some other method of preserving their magical abilities. The ability to retain their spells where others cannot is a clear tactical advantage to holding this structure. The door itself kept people from entering for however long, as Adalmar has said.

"I apologize for being so... reactionary, earlier. Please, one of you go and tell the others to come in from the cold. This place was for an immediate advantage to the holder, and should not contain any danger."

Phasm
2007-05-05, 01:17 PM
Lissa

"Antagonizing?", echoes the ghostly voice. "I'd say I'm being pretty darn reasonable considering what you did to Evendur. I haven't killed you... yet... after all."

OOC: I should've done this last post- [roll0]
Lets see if 'Shadow Weave' rings any bells- [roll1]

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-05, 01:27 PM
Elthan

The light of Lissa's spell, even set at their distance and height, or even the dwindling light outside coming in from the jammed door, is enough to illuminate the tower for Elthan. With some disdain, he speaks to the gnome in shorter words than usual.

"Yes, Lissa, I shall repeat; Antagonizing. The story of the Scorpion and the Swan was about how one cannot not deny what one truly is. How many times for as long as you have known me have I killed, or perhaps even permanently injured anyone, alive or not? Based on that, what would you suppose my nature is? The tale is not one of distrusting others."

kuja.girl
2007-05-05, 04:13 PM
Tiriel

By the time she gets to the tower's base everyone but Lumpy has entered the tower. "So who got the door open?" She asks the half-orc, "There wasn't much up top, maybe a trap door, but I couldn't get it open."

She can only hear snatches of the conversation but from what she's heard, things are turning ugly. Ducking under the door, Tiriel walks in as Callos finishes up his little lesson on magic and... non-magic or whatever it's called.

"Lissa stop it. And you," she says pointing at Elthan, "You owe us an explanation. I could care less about some story about a dead bird and a stupid scorpion. No metaphors, no more avoidance, you're going to tell us or I swear I'll hold you down while Callos gets the answer out of you."
She plants herself in front of the door, hoping that with Lumpy outside and everyone else inside, that they'll get some answers.

Dr._Bob
2007-05-05, 08:31 PM
The walls at the base of the tower are quite thick, so the ground floor chamber is smaller than one might have assumed from the outer diameter of the base. The circular room is perhaps 80 feet across.

Eight large columns form a ring around the periphery of the chamber, providing additional support to the upper levels. A narrow staircase spirals upward and downward along the inner surface of the wall to levels higher and lower. All of the structures appear to be made of the same dark stone as the exterior. The surfaces are smooth and unadorned. Inside, the tower maintains the same detached aura it had when scanned from the outside.

As most of the rest of the party ducks under the half-opened door and enters, light spills into the chamber from their torches. Lissa steps out from behind one of the columns, and joins the others confronting Elthan. Only Callos seems to stand near the half-elf. The others (Katrin, Tiriel, Adalmar, Khazrael, and Lissa) form a cautious semi-circle in the center of the room. Tension thickens the air.

Lumpy, Trinark, Aeroz and Achby crowd around the half open doorway, listening to the conversation, but not committed to entering just yet.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-05, 08:59 PM
Elthan

The air is thick as the others come to a stand-off. Elthan does his best to ignore any tension as he breaks the silence.

"So, where should I begin?"

namo
2007-05-06, 01:12 AM
Adalmar

The talk of schools of magic loses him, but some threads he can relate to the tales of his people.
"I have heard of this, I think... The unceasing war between two Goddesses, the Moon and the Night..." His soft-spoken words trail into silence.

"If its slightest touch corrupts... then what of us ?" He raises his hands to inspect them, half-expecting to find a darkness in them.

To Callos' tongue-lashing, he reacts with a placid shrug. "I never pretended to be smart." He has a few questions on his lips, but he holds them as the half-elf starts to speak.

Remaining quiet for some time, he finally asks a single question : "So, I get the link between the tower and the other magic, but where do you and your crime fit in ?"

Phasm
2007-05-06, 01:26 AM
Lissa

Lissa makes no secret of her feelings; her crossbow is pointed directly at Elthan. Her narrowed eyes are like chips of dark ice as she stares at the mage. "How about you begin with a good reason why we should trust you? Evendur never did anything to you. He might've been a pompous stick-in-the-mud at times, but he was a good man and a faithful servant of his goddess." The dancing lights spin faster, reflecting their caster's agitation. "Why, Elthan?" The last is almost whispered, the words filled with equal parts pain, anger, and confusion.

blackfox
2007-05-06, 11:56 AM
Katrin

Katrin listens patiently to Callos's and Elthan's explanations of the Shadow Weave. She understands it in general terms--that it is like a shadow or a reflection of normal magic, and that it works in places where normal magic does not. She does see the advantages of this, but she is suspicious of the "corruption" that Callos had mentioned. However, she does not act upon her suspicions until Aldamar mentions the war between the two goddesses. Selune and Shar... Does that mean that Shar created this Shadow Weave? It would fit her nature, she being the goddess of night and shadow, and Callos said that the Shadow Weave was created by a deity after the creation of Faerun. And isn't Elthan's last name... 'Moonshadow?'
"Elthan," she says, narrowing her eyes, "which god--or godess--do you follow?"

(OOC: Katrin follows Selune; I'm assuming that the war between Selune and Shar would be common knowledge among worshippers of either goddess.)

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-06, 12:47 PM
Elthan

Elthan spends a moment to collect all of his thoughts as well as possible by look at the ground. Silence once again takes over during the wait for his response. Upon raising his head, he speaks with as little gesture or flourish as possible.

"The Shadow Weave is not all entirely like the Weave. Though very similar, the patron deity of the Shadow Weave reserves the right to isolate anyone whom she does not see fit from her Weave.

"I've slowly felt my ability to perceive drain as I've attempted to dissect the eccentricities of its function. It is a confusing and laboring process that becomes more difficult the farther one strives to understand. The Shadow Weave is in injurious to the mind, but there is a remedy to heal that wound, and secure access to the Weave at once. One must perform a favor for the goddess, and take up a geas to worship her.

"I believe what that favor was is apparent. I had a plan, so that his death would not be of harm. I planned that after his death I would purchase resurrection for him from my own savings, so that I may prove that I would indeed do so, but still retain our powerful ally, and engage him openly at a later date after Sethra was vanquished.

"Upon our last few stops, such an opportunity to carry out my plan did not present itself, and I became anxious. Perhaps such an opportunity would never present itself, and I would continue with a hole in my mind. Wander, only partially myself. When we stopped again, I killed him, and hoped that we could carry his body far enough to bring him back to aid us. Now, such a thing is impossible, and I mourn his loss.

"There is nothing now that I myself can do to right this. All I can do is accept your judgment, and hope that I might continue to aid the group in its task so that Evandurs death would not be so pointless an affair. I've done what I've felt was best for the group."

Elthan stops and gives Katrin a confused look, as if not expecting the question. "I follow Shar. Why?"

Koji
2007-05-06, 02:37 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael brushes a stray bit of black cornsilk hair out of his face.

"I owe him about the same as I owed Evendur. I say he goes for a good long walk in the snow."

namo
2007-05-06, 11:05 PM
Adalmar

His shoulders sag, bleakness overcoming him. He had been hoping, against all odds, that there was another explanation. Till now. "Murder in cold blood it is, then. If I have my way, you will be tethered until you can be handed over to the Rashemen Councils."

He turns his back to Elthan, in the manner of Dalese elders after they pronounce a condamnation.

completely extrapolating on the Great Dale culture here

Phasm
2007-05-07, 12:40 AM
Lissa

Lissa's face shifts through a rainbow of expressions as Elthan tells his tale, finally settling on disgust. "What part of 'evil deity' didn't you understand when you started studying this 'Shadow Weave', Elthan? We gnomes know both Selune and Shar, the Moonlady and the Dark Sister. The Dark Sister, we know too well." Her eyes harden, and she points to the holy symbol around her neck. "One of my order's tasks is to keep an eye out for corrupted mages. The Sly One is, after all, also the Master of Illusions. The Dark Sister loves to recruit mages, promising power while demanding more and greater sacrifices. It's too dangerous to keep a devotee of hers in the clan... and even more dangerous to exile them." Lissa sighs, closing her eyes briefly. "I should have been more watchful. It just never occurred to me that one of us would be stupid or arrogant enough to court the Dark Sister."

She unlocks the safety on her crossbow with an audible click. The anger in her has turned to sorrow and iron resolve. "You may die by your own hand, by our hands, or by exposure to the elements. Choose."

Koji
2007-05-07, 02:16 AM
Khazrael

Stunned by the gnome's cold-heartedness, he slowly remembers that she is, above all, a priestess.

"I could give a rat's ass what you're praying to, Elthan, but think about it. You killed him. Evendur's dead forever and it's your fault. Do you really think people would just let that go? And what in the nine hells, you thought you'd just bring him back? You know Shar wouldn't have accepted your sacrifice unless your heart was in it!"

As he speaks, his thoughts run over the demon princes and their servants. Was Shar any different? These beings never gave anyone anything unless they felt like it was going to help them in the long run. Lyth'eril...was it the same for you? Did the call of power lead you to betray me, or was it fear alone?

blackfox
2007-05-07, 07:15 AM
Katrin

Quietly, Katrin says, "Why, you ask? Because I follow Selune. I do not appreciate the killing of innocents, done at the bidding Mistress of the Night." She levels her crossbow at Elthan, and her voice grows harder and stronger. "Anything else I would have said, Lissa has said already. Either we will kill you or you can kill yourself and save us the trouble."

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-07, 01:59 PM
Callos

A myriad of expression, almost as much as Lissa, flashed across the necromancer's face as he heard the explanation for the ritual but he wheeled to look at Elthan with his face slowly turning red then purple from rage. "You...you...IMBECILE! Just what did the two of us talk about?!" He stormed across the few steps between the two of them and grabbed Elthan by the front of his clothes. "Huh?! WHAT DID WE TALK ABOUT!? Do you remember even? You told me, you swore that you'd come to me before delving any deeper. That we'd discuss it to see if it was worth the power to give some of yourself to Shar! That I'd be there to make sure nothing went wrong! DID YOU FORGET?! You...you...damned fool of a dabbler! I told you, I gave you personal expeirences with sacrificing oneself for power and you still did this! I...I should pummel that thick of yours in for this!"

His dark orbs seemed even darker as he bellowed into the sorcerer's face and when he was finished, Callos was breathing hard. Part of him wanted to blast this arrogant elfling, another wanted to shake him and convince him of his wrongs. Force him to come back from the precipe he had gone towards. Why hadn't Elthan just listened? Why had he felt the need to push forward so foolishly? Deep in those eyes though Elthan could see...a kind of sad recognition. Slowly...his grip relaxed on the sorcerer and he released him...rather reluctantly. Head whipping around at this talk of judgement by his fellows...they couldn't possibly be serious...could they?

When next he spoke, all of the hot rage had vanished from his voice to be replaced by cold fury. "Any of you so much as loose a bolt at him and I'll bring you down were you stand. You claim the side of good in this, but continue in this course of action and you'll have the death of an innocent as much on your heart as the death of one you would call 'monster' simply for trying to help the whole and complete the mission." Turning a little, he gave a solemn nod to Elthan and whispered to him softly. "Elthan, tis not too late to chose the right path here. To make up for the crime and throw away the dark. Whatever you chose...just know I stand by you as much as I would have stood by Djital, my brother in all things but blood."

bhdrake
2007-05-07, 06:53 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy kept his post at the door, expression inscrutable as accusations were levied and explanations given. Calmly, he lets the storm pass, interjecting in conversation's lull, fixing his gaze on Callos. His drawl is absent as he speaks, slipping into an icy deadpan,

"No, you've interjected your bias into this for long enough. The only reason he's even lived until now is because I thought he'd been coerced, but this one isn't forgivable, excusable, or forgettable. There's no way you can credibly claim what he did as the act of an innocent, doubly so if the process has been as drawn out as you're leading on to. In light of such an act in general, I will not tolerate his presence, and because it was an honorable man to whom I was indebted, I will not tolerate his existance on this mortal coil."

His expression shifts subtley, taking on a sardonic grimness,

"It almost galls me as much that he thought his planned lip service to the most vengeful bitch in existence could possibly benefit us more than the service of a holy warrior against an army of undead."

Still leaning against the wall, Lumpy unloops his flail from his belt,

"For killing one of us the way he did, I'd've killed him. An unjustifiable act intended to strengthen himself at the expense of everyone else doesn't benefit us, and never will. I won't have you defending him with some righteous smokescreen. I think you can form a pretty simple picture as to how far I'll take this. Don't make it any harder than it needs to be, necromancer."

Frojoe21
2007-05-07, 10:01 PM
Aeroz

In light of having nothing to add to the conversation at hand, Aeroz begins to clean the dirt under his fingernails with the artifact rapier. "This is going nowhere..." Aeroz comments to no one in particular.

Before stepping into the tower, he gathers a few larger rocks and stones and places them in his sack. Upon entrance he tosses a couple rocks about in anticipation. The elf sets his sights on the staircase. Ascending it could lead to some answers to what this place is, however there may also be some risks.

"Well, you keep on with this arguing and infighting. I'm going to do a bit of reconnaissance. Trinark, if you would be so kind as to accompany me" Aeroz states as he begins to climb the stairs cautiously.

Phasm
2007-05-08, 10:06 AM
Lissa

Lissa gives Callos a disgusted look. Plainly, his arguments are falling on deaf ears as far as she's concerned. "You're casting suspicion on yourself now, Callos. There's no way he's 'innocent' after willingly sacrificing a comrade-in-arms to the Dark Sister." Her mouth works as if she wants to spit. "Lumpy said it all quite well, really. Now step away from the murderer before one of us drags you." She smiles thinly. "And go right ahead, fry the priestess in a vain attempt to save one of the Dark Sister's minions. I'm sure you'll love explaining that one to Mystra or Azuth or whatever god you follow once you reach the afterlife."

Koji
2007-05-08, 10:23 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael idly tosses his knife in the air over and over again, catching it first by the hilt, then by the blade.

"Come on Callos, there's no reason to throw your own life away. He made his decision already."

Dr._Bob
2007-05-08, 08:04 PM
Trinark remains down below, eyes shifting from Elthan to the others as they debate the half-elf's fate.

The half-elf's words seem to have done little to mollify his fellow travelers. At the same time, no one is eager to be the first to lay a hand on Elthan. What punishment seems appropriate for murder? Banishment? Execution?

Aeroz lingers on the narrow stairs. There is no railing, but the elf has no trouble maintaining his balance. He looks up as the stairs spiral up to the next level. The chamber above is completely dark, too dark even for elven eyes.

namo
2007-05-08, 09:33 PM
Adalmar

He had not the words to convince them. Frustration. His hands balled into fists. So he says, softly : "I cannot abide what he's done. But do not take the life of a man lightly."

Only after he utters those words does he realize that he erred. The very solution he proposed, handing him to the Rashemen, would result in his certain death, for he now remembers that they also oppose the Night fervently. And it would slow their critical mission down.

What to do ? Taking a few steps away from the group, he leans on the stone wall, welcoming its coolness, and tilts his head back.

Koji
2007-05-08, 10:39 PM
Khazrael

"So let's give him some supplies and see him off. Maybe he'll get to the Iron Lord or whoever before we do. We don't really need to kill him, do we?"

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-10, 06:07 PM
Callos

"Actually the innocent I was referring to was myself, not Elthan, Lissa. I'm not one to claim he's innocent but I am one to claim he at least deserves a chance to redeem himself." Callos replied with a somewhat weak grin. This wasn't exactly a laughing situation but he still found that statement a little bit funny to say the least. Though the rest of what Koji and Lissa said was hardly amusing.

"I'm not planning on throwing my life away. Throwing it away implies a sense of futility in the course of action and I hardly believe this is futile. Just like I already have enough to explain to whom I chose to observe as a paragon without this little incident so I'm not worried that subduing a gnome priestess and others will have a large blemish on my soul." However almost all of Callos's attention was diverted to Lumpy after that. "Oh, I'll make this as hard as I need to make sure no one dies here Lumpy. Shar may be the most vengeful bitch in existence but we need all the help we can get and where ever we can get it from. This isn't a matter we can pick and chose who we want to help us out. If I remember correctly the priest of Umberlee was allowed to travel with us. A man who worshiped a goddess who wants to drown the entire world in ocean and opposes some of the most highly acclaimed benevolent deities of the realms and all we did was threaten him into not harming us while he traveled with us. And don't think I'm making this up, I've studied religion more then any of you most likely. Compared to that, a priest who would have gladly killed any of us at the slightest provocation, I'll gladly take the Sharete who has our best interests at heart, even if they have been warped some. Especially since the very same man has never done anything else wrong this entire journey. If Shar, Sharess, hell even Lolth, despite how much suffering the spider queen has put me through, want to help us bring down Sethra and return Sheyra to her own body I'm more then happy to let them, Mystara knows we need the aid."

The necromancer paused then and his eyes glittered for a moment as they swept around those who were assembled against him and Elthan, feeling a twinge of regret. Its not like they were doing this for fun, each of them had a legitimate reason for their actions, but that didn't mean that he still didn't feel sorry for them. How couldn't he? About fifteen years ago and he would have done the same thing. But that didn't mean he didn't know better know. It might be some hard work, but he wasn't ready to give up on Elthan yet. Especially since there was still a very good chance of getting him back to the right of things.

Koji
2007-05-10, 06:24 PM
Khazrael

Callos's bold protest deeply infuriates him, though he doesn't stop to think of why that might be the case.

"Here's an ultimatum. How about we let Lumpy here pop his head off and we can 'try to ressurect him' the minute we run into a priest and happen to have a king's ransom in gold on us? Would that work for you?"

He thumbs his nose and sneers, his full lips peeling back to reveal overly sharp teeth.

"You're saving him if you let him go, Callos. I can't trust him not to stab me in the eye while I sleep or blast me with a fireball during a fight. He's a liability and the risk just isn't worth it."

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-10, 08:25 PM
Elthan

Elthan stares down at the floor once more, dazed by the flurry of all too similar judgments. Why could they not see what he was doing? Why were they so focused on the minor consequences of his actions without seeing the entire picture? Certainly, there is a risk that losing a man on the front line of the fight might not be made up by what advancements in study he makes, but could they not see he was doing it for them?

"Khazrael," he says with his face still down, "I have no intention of excusing myself, or believe I can make you trust me for the short period you have traveled with us, but were we not heading to none other than a king? Did you believe that there could be no other positive attribute to rendering our message and aid to him than only stopping Sethra's front, that we could ask no favor?" Elthan looks up, clearly focused in question. He needs to make his point quick and clear.

"Comrades, I accept all the consequences because I know I can make the positive outweigh the negative. All that I have done I take only onto my shoulders so that you may receive the benefits. I want to see us stop Sethra at all cost of my own. There is no method I see not valid in achieving this goal, providing I continue to do my best not to allow any more of you to be further affected by my actions. I will gladly sacrifice any part of myself to bring this to an end.

"I cannot do much to reassure your trust in me, but if you look in my pack, you will find three books. In those is everything I have learned of the Shadow Weave. I have not changed by choosing this path, as those books will show. There is nothing but facts within."

Elthan points outside, to where his pack has been left in the snow. It is not too much of a stretch to suppose there is some arcane tome within.

(OOC: Plain black was getting hard to distinguish, so I picked a text. Also, I will post those books in the PC thread for those who decide to read them)

HempRope
2007-05-10, 09:20 PM

"Dammit!" spits Achkby suddenly, and steps into the tower. "Wow is it cold out there."

"Elthan, you are wombatting stupid. Don't argue that, I don't know how you could think pulling on the shadow was a good idea. Callos, you've been a wombatting idiot too. You let him do that? In all honesty, this makes me question you more than Elthan."

Achkby is uncharacteristically coherent now, and though he's had some time to think things over, the conviction in his voice is still remarkable.

"I know spoon about religion, but I understand the weave as well as Callos, though in a different way. No two mages accesses it in the same way. He's been talking about it as if it's a body. That's a popular explanation, but I can tell you it's a different truth than I know.

"Anyone in touch with the weave, though, can tell you the shadow is dangerous. You can always feel it there, its presence better defined as you master more and more magicks. But it's never a friendly presence. Very little can drive a magician to reach into it. Which is why I still trust Elthan. He must have been desperate to tempt its creator's wrath. She is the purest evil, and any mage can feel it. I've met many despicable arcanists, and not a sane one of them has tried to manipulate its power. You always, always lose more than you gain. The Dark Mistress doesn't gamble.

"We need every capable body we can in this fight. I never expected myself to be saying this, but as a group, it's our duty to protect each other. Not just against Sethra and his scions, but from ourselves, too. This journey has been hard on us all. Some of us have died. None of us is the same as when we set out. Callos has lost his brother. Lissa, when I met you, I would have laughed at the idea of you trying to lynch a comrade. I didn't think anything could make such a positive, kindhearted person hurl such vicious threats.

"Elthan tried to beat the system. He tried to escape the grinding journey that's been wearing us all down. To find a way around the struggle that's seemed utterly impossible to me more than a few times -- and I don't give up easily. He reached outside of everything anyone had considered for a way to win. While I almost admire that, it was still the stupidest thing he could have done.

"His attempt cost us Evendur, a great man whom we admire above all for his dedication and loyalty. I blame all of us for that, for not knowing what was going on in our own midst. For letting Elthan go far enough that he would try to trade away an ally's life.

"But he did it becuase of his dedication and his loyalty to this group and its goals. We cannot afford to lose two of the most selfless people here. We are burning those books on the campfire tonight, but Elthan deserves, and needs, to stay."

As he delivers his speech, Achkby seems almost detached from the entire conference. To him, the pressure in the room is palpable, the animosity of his friends rebounding and magnifying off the anti-weave walls that enclose them. Does it threaten him personally, or does everyone feel this way? Does he support Elthan so fervently because of his own loyalty and conviction? Or because he fears what might happen to him?

Koji
2007-05-10, 09:24 PM
Khazrael

He spits on the ground and mutters abyssal curses that hiss and smoke in the air, but says nothing more. The knife returns to his belt and he trudges up the stairs, turning his energy instead to figuring out what kind of place this is.

Phasm
2007-05-10, 10:13 PM
Lissa

The betrayal and hurt in Lissa's eyes as Achkby supports Elthan is almost palpable in the air. She remains silent for a long moment, crossbow still pointed at Elthan's chest. Finally she speaks in a low, hoarse voice.

"The elders were right. Gods help me, they were right. I was a blind idiot to trust any of you." They told me. I violated the Rule of Trust- never trust anyone outside family and faith- and sure enough, it's come back to bite me on the bum. Lissa takes a deep breath, her expression becoming remote. And I violated the Rule of Combat; never strike from the front unless you have to. Hells, I thought Elthan at least deserved to know who was killing him and why... he used to be a friend...

She finally lowers the crossbow, pointing it at the ground. "Well. I know my limits. I might be able to take two hostile mages, but not three. So unless someone's willing to help out-" the gnome glances at Lumpy, Katrin, Khazrael and Adalmar- "I suppose you leave me no choice."

For now, at least.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-10, 11:31 PM
Callos

"Now hold on one bloomin' second here. I don't need you defending my Ackby...or being called an idiot by you either. I didn't let anything happen. It was already happening, I think so anyway, when he told me about. I just tried to make sure he didn't do something stupid while taking his cosmic shortcut or something he'd regret and we all see how well that turned out. Hells, I didn't even know he was planning some kind of ritual and if I had I would have stopped him then." Irritation replaced the cold anger on his face as he turned to look at Lissa...then back to Ackby. Ah hell. This couldn't possibly be happening. Not now at least.

With a sigh and roll of his eyes he looked at Ackby then to Lissa again and shook his head. "And as wonderful as it is to see you finally arguing against the majority when your views conflict with theirs, I truly think you should simply shut up for the moment and think about what you just said. You've given your piece and some very interesting insight but...uh..yeah. Probably shouldn't have...or at least not as vocally. I mean...that was very reasonable but being reasonable isn't exactly something we're using at the moment and if they do decide to attack Elthan and I anyway, despite being informed as to the truth, you shouldn't get involved. They'll still need an arcanist after all."

HempRope
2007-05-10, 11:32 PM

Achkby is crestfallen. Still, he leaves his arms crossed on his chest, not moving from his position just inside the door.

"I'm not fighting anyone. It isn't worth it. I'll trudge on through the snow by myself before I fight any one of you. That's what I'm saying."

As an afterthought, he adds, "Though if you're really convinced that he's tied into the shadow weave, you'd best not try to execute him in here."

Koji
2007-05-10, 11:53 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael's low voice echoes in Lissa's ear. His tone is comforting, and she realizes he's magically communicating with her.

"I never really knew Evendur, but he saved our lives when that troll had us. I know we owe him a lot, but remember that Elthan fought for us, too...and remember that if we don't make it to our goal in time, many more will die. I don't feel like it's my decision whether he lives or dies, but can you at least wait until we get where we're going?"

His voice is thin. He clearly doesn't know what to do and almost seems to be asking Lissa for guidance, rather than giving it himself. He stands on the stairwell, half in the darkness, and waits.

Phasm
2007-05-11, 01:06 AM
Lissa

Shifting her crossbow to one hand, Lissa bows her head and scrubs a hand across her face with the other, shoulders quivering slightly. Conveniently for her and Khazrael, this hides her mouth fairly well for a few moments.

"I'm patient. Take late night watch with me?"

After a bit, Lissa stands up straight again, puts the safety back on her crossbow and slings it over her back, all with that remote expression so alien to the Lissa everyone's come to know. "Let's get on with it, then. The night's not getting any younger and we have yet to scout the entire tower for potential threats." Even her voice is flat.

OOC: Skill check PMed to Dr. Bob.

Koji
2007-05-11, 01:26 AM
Khazrael

A cough and a nod signals his agreement to Lissa, his face brought into the light as he takes a seat on the stairs.

namo
2007-05-11, 02:48 AM
Adalmar

His fingers are running involuntarily along the length of the bow, the feel of wood reassuring. His body, at first stiff against the wall, is now slouching.

He has always trusted he could see far ahead. No doubt this man, this murderer, is fooling himself. Whatever power he has acquired is no justification for his deed. The old mage, the one who thinks he is in control, is driven by something else. But he is no less wrong, blinded by his vaunted knowledge. The little man is perhaps the one who makes the most sense, but Adalmar can't bring himself to accept the coin of his trust - after all, the others know the half-elf just as well and think differently. That leaves the elf, fleeing responsibility up the stairs ; the half-orc, hungry for blood ; the drow priest, quiet statue ; the woman, a mystery. Khazrael, changing his mind - a wildfire. Or lightning. And cheery Lissa, who has turned to ice. Winged Tiriel, who still observes the scene and hasn't made her move.

Oh, he knows he is harsh with them, but for once it is proving easier than being harsh with himself. He had thought to find some solace here, for they share the same goal, but he has been deceiving himself. No, mostly they have deceived him.

He could reach out to Lissa, but not support her. He couldn't make that Elthan open his eyes and see. In this arena of words, he has little power.

Leaning against the wall, Adalmar thinks dark thoughts, until he reaches their logical conclusion.

Dr._Bob
2007-05-11, 03:29 PM
Uneasily, you put away your weapons for the moment (or at least stop pointing them at each other).

Joining Aeroz, you cautiously choose to take the stairs upward, instead of downward. Hugging the curved walls (since there is no railing to prevent you from tumbling to the floor), you spiral up to the second level. As you leave the first level, you hear a soft grinding as the large door slides shut ...

The second level is a touch smaller than the first, but is similarly unadorned. The walls almost seem to absorb the torchlight, creating a dismal atmosphere. It takes a few minutes before someone notices something unusual - there are no wall sconces or other obvious light fixtures in this tower, despite its lack of windows. One imagines that the original builders of the tower must have been comfortable living in utter darkness ...

The third level is much the same, but the fourth is different. This fourth floor is divided in half by a flat wall, leaving you standing in a semicircular chamber.

A flat black door is set in the center of the wall. It is a smaller version of the main entrance. An embossed face is set in the center of the door. Its eyes and mouth are closed.

blackfox
2007-05-11, 05:49 PM
(OOC: Crossbows have safteys?)
Katrin

Katrin slings her crossbow over her shoulder, keeping it loaded, and trudges up the stairs with everyone else. When they get to the fourth floor, she eyes the face in the door with a mixture of interest and suspicion. "Khazrael... is that face in the door magical? I don't trust it, for some reason, it seems... misplaced..."

namo
2007-05-11, 06:11 PM
Adalmar

He remains at the back of the group, his face a mask.

Koji
2007-05-11, 11:10 PM
Khazrael

To Katrin, he says, "My eyes are a little tired, but why not."

A gesture and a muttered phrase mark his third detect magic spell of the day, and he focuses on the door.

kuja.girl
2007-05-12, 08:04 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel stands quietly during the debate. Her understanding of magic is basic and the existence of an anti-magic is, while not unknown to her, still confusing. After everyone has finished talking she sheaths her sword and falls into step with Callos as they ascend the staircase. When they reach the third floor she gently pulls him aside and speaks in a hushed voice.
"Tell me the truth Callos. Do you really believe that he killed Evendur for the sake of others? I understand that he may have thought that 'one life is a small price to pay,' but I don't see the elf's new powers wining us a war." As an after thought she adds, "He doesn't seem to regret his actions, and that angers me more than his actions."

[ooc: the only person she doesn't want to hear this conversation would be Elthan. She would stop talking if he came too near.]

Phasm
2007-05-13, 12:31 AM
Lissa

Since Khazrael has volunteered to scan the door for magic, Lissa remains silent. Just as she has been since the standoff ended. She has made sure to stay behind Elthan, watching him like the proverbial hawk with those cold, empty eyes. The mercurial gnome has shown a rainbow of moods in the past, but this icy focus is something new.

The elders were right. Lumpy was right. Hells, even the spine-twisters and slick-talk men of Sembia were right on this one. I trusted too easily, and now look where it's got us. No, curse it, me. Lissa closes her eyes briefly, willing herself not to show the anger and pain she feels. Not to show anything. Nobody's on anyone's side but their own. No matter what they say, that's what it comes down to in the end.

What about Sedryn? Evendur? Raskoruran? Thokk? Lumpy? Trinark?
She squeezes the hilt of her rapier, hard, until her knuckles whiten even through her brown skin. Yeah, the first four cared, no doubt about it. And look where it got them. Dead, dead, dead, and dead twice. There's no telling with Lumpy; that man runs hot and cold. I thought I could trust him, but I thought I could trust Elthan too. Trinark... if he's such a faithful servant of Eilistraee, why in the Nine Hells didn't he support us back there?! Dunno that much about his goddess, but I don't think she'd like the Dark Sister any more than Baravar does. Lissa clenches her jaw briefly. He's a more powerful priest than I am. If he'd actually come out in support of execution, we might've been able to take both Elthan and Callos without hurting the necromancer. Why didn't he speak up?

Lissa squashes the question of Achkby before that annoying mental voice can raise it. Instead, she forces herself to concentrate on the door before them.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-13, 12:35 PM
Elthan

Elthan walks up the stairs in complete silence. Though he is not completely aware of the whispers and ill-thoughts behind him, he does his best to hide from their aura by shrinking into his cloak.

At the door, he turns to Khazrael. "I might have better luck with that. Allow me." Standing at his side, he cast the same spell.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-13, 04:00 PM
Callos

Why does this place give me so many jitters? I've seen plenty of more horrifying things then this place and it has me on edge. Maybe its because it's connected to the Shadow Weave...

His line of thought was interrupted when Tiriel pulled him aside from the others and began to whisper to him. Callos listened intently and took a long time to process everything he had seen in the past since his transformation back to human to the death of Evendur. Everything that he could remember about Elthan and those books in particular. Did the half-elf really regret what he had done or was he simply faking it? It was hard for the human to tell since he had been so sure that Elthan would tell him before taking any kind of big steps.

"Its...difficult to tell. When he first consulted me about tapping the Shadow Weave I could have answered you without a shadow of a doubt that it was purely for our sake he did it. No question in my mind. Now?...I'm not so sure. As much as he denies it, I know that using the Shadow Weave is a corrupting expeirence and a very slippery slope to start down. I thought he could handle it if the both of us worked on it together but clearly that wasn't the case. As for his powers...its just as hard to tell. Elthan's trying to gain an edge on Sethra by having a greater understanding of necromancy then Sethra and it could make a good advantage if used right. All I know is I need to keep a much better eye on him then I did before. Preferably after I finish my own preparations which I need yours and probably Trinark's or Lissa's help for. Somehow I doubt Lissa will listen to me though, could you ask her for me?"

Dr._Bob
2007-05-13, 08:13 PM
The door radiates the same inverted aura as the rest of the tower. As Elthan's gaze falls on the face, its embossed features animate in response.

At first the face blinks and squints, apparently annoyed by the light. After a moment, however, it seems to adapt to the illumination and it peers at your party, eyeing each of you carefully. The face spends an extra few seconds regarding Elthan in particular.

The face begins to speak. At first, its words are foreign to you, but within moments it switches to an archaic form of the common tongue. The face appears to be telling you a rambling story ...

... A fair maiden sits at a dinner table with a priest and a judge. She is surprised to see an unexpected visitor watching her from the doorway. Though frightened at first, the maiden did not cry out. Instead, recognizing that the visitor was hungry, she offered him some food. Gratefully, the visitor reached for the food only to be struck down and killed from behind. The maiden, satisfied, quickly disposed of his body and returned to her dinner. Neither the priest nor judge protested nor condemned the maiden. In fact, the three of them enjoyed the remainder of the dinner and conversation without commenting further on the death of the visitor. What justice is this?

kuja.girl
2007-05-13, 10:30 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel 'tsks,' before saying quitely to herself, "That was likely no maiden."

ooc: continuing conversation with Callos in the Private Conversations thread....

Koji
2007-05-14, 01:29 AM
Khazrael

Seeing the face spring to life, he repeats his earlier gesture of turning away and spitting on the ground--an act which earlier seemed to be a bad habit, but now is quite obviously some sort of ward against evil.

As the face finishes its story, Khazrael smirks. "So what, is she smashing a cockroach or something?"

Phasm
2007-05-14, 09:53 AM
Lissa

Lissa studies the carven face with cool detachment. "A mosquito, I'd say. Or perhaps a rat. Cockroaches won't come out if there's light." She thinks for a moment. "Mosquitos die in cold weather, so I don't know if the builders of this tower would know about them."

namo
2007-05-14, 11:02 AM
Adalmar

He still stands away from the group.
What kind of question is that ? It's not justice at all ! Is it trying to justify murder ?

Listening to the comments, he reconsiders the story under a different angle. Is it a trick story like those of that troll ? Quite confusing...

blackfox
2007-05-14, 04:01 PM
Katrin

Katrin regards the face with some confusion. "Whatever that means, I don't think it's something good, I don't trust it..."

HempRope
2007-05-14, 07:53 PM

Achkby elbows Elthan hard in the thigh.

"Don't just go on and use magic like that. You tell Callos and me first."

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-16, 10:28 AM
Elthan

Elthan is taken aback by Ackby's force into his side. "Achkby, I did announce what I was about to do."

After taking a moment to ease the minor pain in his thigh and stare at Khazrael, he returns his gaze to the door and ponders alound, "I wonder, what is the purpose to this question? A riddle, a test to open the door, or just a curious question by a bored animation?

(OOC: As long as Detect Magic is in use, Elthan is curious as to what magical Aura's Khazrael has.)

Dr._Bob
2007-05-16, 10:37 AM
The face pauses then continues ...

No justice at all, obviously, for the rat caught in a trap!

With those words, a stone slides across the opening to the stairwell, sealing you in. A grinding noise from above warns you of more sliding stone. The ceiling slowly begins to move downward.

The face opens its mouth wide and laughs ...

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-16, 11:24 AM
Elthan

Elthan tense up as he sees the ceiling begin to fall down on the group. Nervously, he ask, "Tiriel, if I made you any stronger, do you think you could force the ceiling upwards?" He stops to pass a short glace towards Achkby.

"Would that be acceptable to you?"

Koji
2007-05-16, 11:52 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael looks fairly preturbed, but tries to maintain his stoic chagrin.

"Got any more questions, face?"

HempRope
2007-05-16, 11:59 AM

"What justice? It's not justice... it's... it's..."

When Elthan speaks, Achkby looks at the sorcerer for a minute, and takes his question at face value.
"Callos, in this building, what could happen to that spell? Even his cantrips are doing odd things here..."

Phasm
2007-05-16, 03:55 PM
Lissa

For a moment, Lissa's icy demeanor cracks. She snarls a rather nasty Gnomish curse at the face, then races over to the stone covering the stairwell. "Aeroz, help me out here. Check the walls for hidden passages or safety mechanisms." Lissa makes a hurried examination of the wall/door, skilled fingertips and sharp eyes hunting for a latch, a button... nobody with brains builds a trap without a failsafe in case of accidents. Right?

OOC: Dunno whether this is Search or active Spot, so I'm rolling Spot since I've got ranks in that one. :smallwink: I'll reroll if you want Search, Dr. Bob.

[roll0]

bhdrake
2007-05-16, 07:16 PM
Lumpy

He didn't want to give up on them so easily, that was his only justification for not walking out then and there. What use was his word to see them through this if they lacked the sight to see the obvious danger they left themselves in by letting the sorcerer live. They would be far more likely to see the iron lord without Elthan, he was certain.

Lumpy's face belies the nature of his underlying thoughts. Though his weapon is lowered, there is little doubt he's not entirely decided if he'll be using it soon or not. He follows the others woodenly as they explore the tower, drawing solace only from the fact that he was surely more adapted to work in darkness than the turncoat mage. But could he be that sure now? Damn Shar.

So distracted is he, the sprung trap almost fails to elicit a response from him. When he does move, it is directly for the faced door. It seemed to be the foacl point for whatever they'd managed to trigger. He glares at it for a bit, before prodding it expirimentally with the haft of his flail.

namo
2007-05-16, 07:50 PM
Adalmar

He slumps to a sitting position ; he can't seem to muster the energy to fight till the last breath.

This post may have to do with me sleeping 4h last night.

blackfox
2007-05-16, 09:14 PM
Katrin

Katrin's training automatically kicks in. She begins looking for any sort of bypass or switch that could stop the downward slide of the ceiling, or any sort of hidden nook or passage where a person could huddle and avoid being crushed, but sees nothing.

((Search Check (1d20+6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1049887)
Meep. :smalleek: Assuming a natural 1 is an automatic fail...))

Dr._Bob
2007-05-17, 08:10 AM
Immediately your eyes rove the walls, floor and ceiling for any switches or openings.

Lissa crouches by the sealed stairway, looking for a way to slide back the stone that blocks her escape back downward. Her keen gnomish eyes scan desperately around the chamber looking for any kind of opening that might hide a latch of some kind ...

The mouth? The face continues to laugh hysterically as Katrin and Lumpy examine the smooth stone door, its mouth open wide ...

The ceiling continues to drop ...

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-18, 12:07 AM
Callos

The mage was jerked out his own private deliberations with Tiriel as the ceiling slowly began to descend down towards them and by the talking head that adorned the wall. That was before an incredulous look turned to Ackby that switched to a withering glare pretty quick.

"How the hell would I know the answer to that, huh? I know religon and undead, not creepy talking heads in the wall of a Shadow Weave filled tower. So how about one of you, either Elthan or...er...anyone really convince the head to stop trying to turn us into paste. Intimidate idt if you need too!"

Phasm
2007-05-18, 04:19 PM
Lissa

"The mouth!" It's a flash of intuition, a sort of sixth sense for hidden locks and devices honed by years of experience getting into and out of places where Lissa really has no legitimate business. She sprints over to that hateful laughing face, hand diving into her haversack. Lissa comes up with a lumpy roll of thin, battered leather with bits of metal poking out of the top- her trusty set of thieves' tools. Fortunately for her, the face's mouth is just about at eye level for a gnome. Lissa peers intently into the mouth, hunting for a keyhole, a lever, a button...

OOC: [roll0]
Again, let me know if you'd rather have Search and I'll reroll.

Dr._Bob
2007-05-18, 05:19 PM
A glint of metal catches Lissa's eye. Some sort of latch or mechanism lies at the back of the laughing mask's "throat". She also notes several small slits lining the sides of the opening.

She considers reaching in, but the opening is deep. Her arms aren't going to be long enough to reach the back ...

kuja.girl
2007-05-18, 10:55 PM
Tiriel

"****. Of all the rotten luck... You can cast what you want Elthan but I don't think I'll be able to stop that." Tiriel says looking at the ceiling.

Phasm
2007-05-19, 01:19 AM
Lissa

"ARRRRGH! @#$%! tallfolk traps! Aeroz, Katrin, one of you get your rump over here!" Lissa steps to one side of the laughing face, glowering at it. If looks were spells, that door would be melted to slag about now. "I can see a device of some sort in the mouth, but it's too far back for me to reach!" She hands over the thieves' tools- a very fine set- to whichever of the two other 'experts' responds first. "And be careful sticking your hand in there. I saw little slits along the sides of the opening, might have poisoned needles or somesuch."

blackfox
2007-05-19, 06:41 AM
Katrin

Glad to be useful for once, Katrin dashes over to the door. She accepts the tools from Lissa and very carefully reaches for the latch in the carved face's throat.

(OOC: Disable Device check (1d20+6=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1055365) Crap. I'm rolling low today...)

HempRope
2007-05-19, 12:26 PM

In an uncharacteristic bout of straightforwardness, Achkby swings the longspear from his back for the first time in a long time, and levels the haft at the mouth.

"Ah, can I just jab into it?"

Dr._Bob
2007-05-20, 06:28 PM
Katrin jams her arm into the face's throat up to her armpit. Her nimble fingers can feel the smooth metal of the override mechanism. She grabs a probe from Lissa's kit and pokes it into the device.

With a soft snick a dozen small blades slide out through the slits and pin Katrin's arm in place. The blades are angled so that, while they are causing minimal injury for the moment, they prevent Katrin from removing her arm. She is now trapped in place.

The grinding continues, though the face's laughing is now muffled by Katrin's arm.

The taller humans and elves now have to crouch down. Achkby looks for a way to use his longspear to help, but with Katrin's arm stuck in the hole, there is no room for the weapon.

OOC: Katrin takes 1 hp of damage. Katrin has four rounds to try to work the override mechanism (DC 20). If she tries to remove her arm, she will take 12d6 damage. The rest of you have four rounds to do ... something.

Koji
2007-05-20, 06:45 PM
Khazrael

Squinting his eyes shut, Khazrael feels a fire welling within him as he attempts to flip the lever with his mind alone.

((OOC: Using mage hand to flip the lever if possible.))

blackfox
2007-05-20, 08:06 PM
Katrin

Katrin freezes as the blades trap her arm in place. She grits her teeth together and continues to poke around inside the face's throat with Lissa's lockpick, trying to move only her hand and fingers to manipulate the tool, so she won't injure her arm further.

(OOC: Four Disable Device checks (+2 with masterwork tools) (1d20+8=18, 1d20+8=12, 1d20+8=22, 1d20+8=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1058146))

Phasm
2007-05-21, 12:21 AM
Lissa

It's an effort, but Lissa stays quiet. She knows from painful experience that the very last thing one needs when trying to pick a lock or disarm a trap is somebody at your elbow asking, "How ya doin'? Are you okay in there? Want me to help?" She can't help looking up at the ceiling nervously, though, and praying to Baravar in her head. Please, please, lend Katrin some of Your divine skill! I would've disarmed the trap myself, but the tallfolk made the hole too deep... we just can't have come all this way to get squished by a drop-ceiling trap!

namo
2007-05-21, 02:32 AM
Adalmar

His body is tense, but he cannot think of anything he could do that would help. So he concentrates on breathing evenly and not panicking.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-21, 10:47 AM
Callos

Callos didn't say anything, he merely acted. Crawling/walking along the floor until he was close to the face in the wall, the necromancer glared at the laughing contraption before looking up at the descending ceiling once more.

"Listen up everyone, get as close over here as you possibly can. We'll give Katrin as much time as we can to stop that ceiling but if she can't then we're going to escape into the same kind of space that I made at the waterfall. Not all of us can get into it though. Eight of you, thats it as long as you don't pull the rope up. Everyone understand?"

Dr._Bob
2007-05-21, 06:48 PM
With a shudder, the ceiling grinds to a halt. After a pause, there is a click and the ceiling slowly rises back up into position.

Gingerly, Katrin withdraws her arm. A series of small slits line her forearm where the "teeth" held her. Fortunately, they retracted along with the ceiling and she is not seriously injured.

The doors closes its eyes and mouth again, and the door swings upward, much as the entrance did.

The room beyond contains more stairs heading upward.

Frojoe21
2007-05-21, 09:42 PM
Aeroz

Sighing in relief, Aeroz takes the lead up the flight of stairs, muttering at thoughts of what other riddles and traps may be ahead.

Actively Spotting. DR, if you want me to roll for it, PM me

bhdrake
2007-05-22, 01:11 PM
Lumpy

Lumpy nods appraisingly at the nature of the sprung trap. The rat always got it reaching for the food, he should have seen that coming.

It figured that the only way to go was further ahead though, rats trapped in some gauntlet. The burly orc follows Aeroz through, prefering to keep his dark-adapted eyes ahead of the others and their light sources for comfort's sake.

blackfox
2007-05-22, 04:44 PM
Katrin

Katrin looks dumbly at the lines of small wounds along her arm, then shakes herself out of it. She looks behind her to see whether or not the stone slab is still blocking the stairway.

(OOC: If it is not Katrin will suggest that the party leave the tower, if it is she will follow Aeroz and Lumpy.)

Dr._Bob
2007-05-22, 08:24 PM
Katrin considers leaving the way you came, but the others forge forward into the next room and up the stairs. She shrugs and follows after them.

The floor above is round, naturally, but has no supporting columns. A series of raised platforms is arranged in a circle. There are a dozen of the platforms. Each one is about six feet across. A rune or picture is inscribed on each one.

kuja.girl
2007-05-22, 10:31 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel grits her teeth and hunches over as the ceiling moves ever closer. She's never liked small spaces and she dislikes the idea of being smashed even less. She suppresses her urge to shout at Katrine and Lissa to do something. It's with an audible sound of relief that she stands back up after Katrine disarms the trap.
As the other's push on, she shares a look with Katrine, Are they nuts, we should be getting out of here! Tiriel shrugs and follows her companions into the next room, she's not sure they'd be able to leave without help anyhow.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-23, 08:02 AM
Elthan

Elthan continues to follow the group in silence, not daring to venture out of their sight lest Lumpy should take an initiative to find him. But, is it really so wise to head further?

I really don't see why they would want to head into danger if we only mean to spend the night. Perhaps if someone voiced an idea, that there might be something at the end. But no.

I can't be that different from them, can I? I'm part human, and so is almost half of the group. I have a tie to a full half of the group if one would count Aeroz, but I've never really heard much from him. Why would they climb this tower for no reason? Why did they want to kill me with no motivation save vengeance? Do these silly people even think at all?

Maybe the source of all these odd things is at the top. But why are they being odd? Why do Khazraels spells still work here, and Lissa's? I doubt she is involved in anything like I am, but this merits some small investigation. I don't believe I was correct in my initial observations. But then why the door?

Once on the new floor, Elthan steps forward to halt the group. "I think we should be a bit more cautious this time around. It wouldn't do to have more of us than necessary crushed."

"I've been having a few doubts about my previous assumption of this tower. Lissa, Katrins arm was slightly injured by the trap on the previous floor, and though has clotted has not fully healed. If you would be so kind as to say some minor orison for her to finish the healing process, I'd be very grateful."

Phasm
2007-05-23, 10:22 AM
Lissa

By now, Lissa has regained her icy demeanor. She merely gives Elthan a well-aren't-you-smart look. "It has only been a few minutes. Of course the wounds haven't fully healed." Nevertheless, she walks over to Katrin, gently lays a hand on her arm, and whispers a short prayer in Gnomish. Faint white light pools in the cuts, pulling them closed without a scar. Lissa pats the newly healed arm, looking up at Katrin. "Thank you. That was good work back there." Healing done, she continues to watch for danger.

Maybe I should've done that earlier, but hells, I could tell those were just surface cuts. Painful but not disabling; I've worked with worse, and Katrin probably has too. Darned if I'll let the shadow creep show me up, though!

OOC: Burn a resistance for cure minor wounds.

HempRope
2007-05-23, 11:17 AM

Achkby does his best to steady his shaky knees by bracing himself with his spear, but doesn't manage to quell their trembling until he puts them to work scaling the enormous stairs. He stays right behind Elthan.

WOW.

Achkby takes in the next room with interest, wondering what peril might await them here. When Elthan makes his request, the halfling watches his sorcerous charge warily, but makes no remark.

Instead, to the entire group, he says, "Let's just stop here. If we haven't found any doors we can barricade so far, there aren't likely to be any more. I don't love the idea of staying the night in an unknown part of a dark magic tower, but we'll only wander into more danger if we try to keep going."

Idiot, you didn't need to reiterate what a terrible place this is.

Koji
2007-05-23, 12:43 PM
Khazrael

"Oh, I was enjoying our little treasure hunt. And look at this crap, what's it all for? Maybe there's something useful up top."

He squints at the symbols, trying to make sense of them.

"We may be the first people up here in decades, maybe longer."

Dr._Bob
2007-05-24, 09:35 AM
Uneasily, your party breaks for the night in the round chamber. There are no stairs leading upward, only the spiral of stairs leading back down into the room behind the mask.

The location appears to be secure in that anyone approaching from below would have to make their way up the narrow stairs. On the other hand, as Khazrael suggested, there is no evidence that anyone else has been in this tower for centuries, if not millenia.

The raised platforms have different symbols on them. Each is a different pictograph. Some look like dragons or wyverns. One looks like an ettin. Another perhaps a medusa. In the center of the floor is the image of the falling angel that was hidden on the outer door. This image is the only one not carved into a raised platform. Instead it lies in the middle of the floor.

As everyone settles down for some rest, Trinark crosses his legs and prepares to meditate. Squinting at Adalmar's and Katrin's torches, he quietly wonders whether it would be reasonable to turn out the lights for at least a few hours.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-24, 10:23 AM
Elthan

As the group breaks in to camp, Elthan makes himself comfortable at the far end of the room. He knew that the way the party felt towards him at the moment, it would be like children at the table; Unless the one child sat away from the others, the others would sit away from the one. All the better, though, as it gave him room to think.

My previous assumption is clearly incorrect; this tower is not appart of a dead magic area, and may not even have any important connection with the Shadow Weave at all. Somethign strage is in effect, but I have too little evidence to form another hypothesis.

Sitting agianst the wall, Elthan begins to pull at the cuff of his robe until it gives an uncomfortably loud rip. Avoiding any sudden gazes, he attempts to repair the tear, watching for anything perculiar to happen.

(OOC: Cast Mending)

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-24, 05:15 PM
Callos

Something seemed to have drained out of Callos after the falling ceiling trap. Now the necromancer seemed much less on edge and instead very...casual. A lazy eye turned over towards Tiriel and he said in a soft voice.

"This isn't the best place to do this. Ask Lissa about helping me once we're out of this tower."

blackfox
2007-05-24, 05:41 PM
Katrin

Katrin, unlike Callos, is very nervous and suspicious after the falling ceiling trap. She keeps away from the raised platforms on the floor and leans against the wall instead, one hand holding her torch and one hand on the hilt of a weapon.

When Elthan rips his robe the noise catches Katrin's attention, she watches him briefly before returning her attention to the room in general.

namo
2007-05-24, 06:34 PM
Adalmar

He feels relieved but mostly numb when the ceiling stops. He follows the group up the stairs without really thinking about it.

Making sure not to touch nor disturb anything - and ready to prevent others from giving in to curiosity - he settles in for the night.

Sitting against a wall, he turns a ring on his finger, thinking of the friend whose corpse he took it from... Won't be in vain. It won't.

He elects to sleep during the first part of the night ; the power of the ring will get him through the rest without any more rest needed.

kuja.girl
2007-05-27, 01:42 PM
Tiriel

After everyone settles into the new room Tiriel takes some time examining the platforms and their carvings. She spends some time looking at the central carving, frowning.
The picture feels like a personal, innate, warning. But from what, she's not sure. With a sigh she heads back to the room's perimeter and joins Katrine. After a few moments of silence she speaks quietly to her friend, "Callos wants to try to help Elthan when we leave the tower. I don't know what he can do, but it's worth trying before resorting to something more... final. We'll see."

Dr._Bob
2007-05-29, 08:47 AM
There is little to "watch" for during the night as there are no other obvious entrances or exits to the room other than the stairway leading down. The thick black stone walls ensure that there is no sound other than the low breathing of your companions meditating or sleeping.

At some point, in the middle of the night when all of the torches are extinguished, a remarkable change occurs. The black walls and ceiling above seem to fade away and disappear until it seems as though you are standing on a round platform a hundred feet in the air.

You can see the stars above and the waxing moon, almost full. Thin clouds catch the moonlight. To the east lies the Lake of Tears, mirror calm, reflecting the stars and moon perfectly. Small waves break at the coast, thin parallel white lines, though you can hear nothing. To the north and south stand your sister watchtowers, straight and black.

Koji
2007-05-29, 12:09 PM
Khazrael

The sudden vanishing of the tower snaps Khazrael away from his conversation with Lissa. A booted foot prods Elthan awake and Khazrael raises his voice for the benefit of the others.

"Hey, something's up!"

Phasm
2007-05-29, 09:05 PM
Lissa

Lissa yawns, admiring the display of moonlit landscape. Her reply is quiet, so as not to disturb anyone who hasn't already been awakened. "Oh, let them rest, Khazrael... it's not hurting anything. Looks like some archmage of old liked to watch the night sky without going outdoors, that's all." She doesn't look particularly fazed by the vertigo-inducing visual effect of being on a tower with invisible walls, but then gnomes are famous for their use of illusions. And Lissa has already proven both her ability and expertise at climbing; it doesn't look like heights scare her. "It is a spectacular illusion, though. Wonder if they just made the walls invisible, or projected an image of the outside onto the inner walls and ceiling?" Standing up, she pads quietly over to the eastern side to admire the moonlit Lake of Tears.

blackfox
2007-05-30, 06:40 AM
Katrin

Khazrael's shout jerks Katrin awake; she stands carefully and inspects the floor and ceiling, taking in the situation. She is somewhat experienced at climbing but sitting on a floating platform many feet in the air unnerves her. "Lissa... or anyone else, really... can you tell if the walls are really gone, or if they're invisible, or whatever's actually going on with them?" She carefully approaches the end of the floor until she can reach out to touch the space where the wall used to be.

HempRope
2007-05-30, 12:14 PM
Damn, I seem to have missed some posting. Subscriptions aren't all they used to be, ya know.

Achkby is slow to rise from his bedroll; his sleep was fitful, and seems loathe to release him. After a time, he comes to, rising groggily from his blankets near Elthan. Whether he had slept near the half-elf to keep an eye on him or to protect the fool from the others, Achkby wasn't sure, but fortunately neither had been necessary. Unless this new development was his doing...

"How did it happen?" he asks Khazrael quietly, looking up at the other standing over his bedroll. A moment later he flicks a divination about the room, curious if the tower's feel might have changed.

"Don't cast anything," he hisses to Elthan.

Er, Detect Magic once again. I assume it doesn't feel like we're actually exposed to the outdoor climate, as we would have noticed that?

bhdrake
2007-05-30, 01:36 PM
Lumpy

For perhaps the first time in as long as he's travelled amongst the others, Lumpy doesn't fuss over setting watch, simply divesting his armor and slumping into a heap leaning against it. It had been another set of trying days and he found himself too sore, physically and mentally to bother with the hassle. He would simply have to trust himself to them now, as dangerous as that was proving to be.

The burly orc's breathing settles as he drifts off to sleep, though his eyes fail to close in a vain attempt to remain vigilant. The fact that the tower's transformation is completely lost upon him shows that the effort isn't nearly as effective as it appears.

((OOC: grr, forum makes me angry))

Koji
2007-05-30, 03:58 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael walks to the edge of the floor, staring at one of the far-off towers.

"What the hell are these things for?"

Dr._Bob
2007-05-30, 09:20 PM
Gingerly, Katrin reaches out a hand and is amazed to feel cold stone, just where the wall should be. The panoramic view is either an illusion, as suggested by Lissa, or perhaps some form of localized invisibility.

Raising an eyebrow, Trinark too reaches out and runs his hands along the transparent walls, looking like some kind of street performer or mime.

Achkby's spell reveals only the same frustrating shadow aura. Nothing obvious has changed.

A thin cloud veils the waxing moon for a moment, darkening the view outside.

Suddenly a faint humming can be heard, and the floor begins to dissolve. This time, the floor does not merely become transparent, it actually begins to slowly dematerialize. Your feet begin to sink downward as if you are standing in soft sand. Only the various circular platforms appear to remain solid, both visually and structurally ...

Koji
2007-05-30, 10:27 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael wastes no time dragging himself to one of the stone platforms. He eyes the ettin platform, but decides to grab hold of a dragon platform instead.

namo
2007-05-31, 09:00 AM
Adalmar

He had been sitting against the wall when the view cleared up, so he was aware the walls were still there after a fashion.

When the floor starts to dissolve, he imitates Khazrael by jumping on to the closest platform.

"Try to avoid the central one ! I have a bad feeling about it."

Dr, please pick a random platform for me.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-05-31, 10:40 AM
Callos

Another sleepless night. Spent staring up at the ceiling and trying to just stay awake, dark circles beginning to grow underneath of his eyes. The nightmares still wouldn't stop...But he was still tired, so very tired and it was hard to notice things even if they seemed rather important.

Like the floor, ceiling, and walls becoming transparent to sight to reveal the world on the other side of the tower. But when the floor melted away right underneath of his head, letting it flop down suddenly, that definitly jolted him up and about.

"Wait...whats going on here? D..d...did someone touch something? You should know better then to touch something!" Came the grumpy mage muttered out as he sat up, the middle of his words interrupted by a loud yawn. Stumbling some he walked over to the fallen angel platform critically and stepped on it hesitantly before looking around.

"Why are the torches out? Someone light a damn torch!"

((Callos will stand on the fallen angel symbol. But if it's dissolving too then he'll move to the medusa one.))

Phasm
2007-05-31, 11:12 AM
Lissa

"Waugh!" Lissa wades over to join Khazrael on the dragon platform. Now she looks unsettled. Actually, make that downright scared. "What the hells else is this creepy tower going to pull on us? The builders had to be crazy; why else would you deliberately enchant your floor to dissolve at night?"

HempRope
2007-05-31, 02:29 PM
Oh, I thought the platforms were floating! This is mush better.

The tower dissolving? That's just too much for Achkby. He looks wildly at Eltahn for a moment, and then to Callos. Seeing that Elthan's done nothing obvious and Callos oblivious to the possibility that the other mage has, Achkby by rote falls in behind the much longer legs moving away from him, pursuing Khazrael to the dragon. Looking down, he whispers, "Tamara protect us." Raising his eyes to the others', he offers a bit of a self-conscious smile that becomes slightly strained as his gaze meets Lissa's.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-05-31, 04:38 PM
Elthan

When kicked awake, Elthan complains momentarily while clutching his sides. After getting up, he staggers to look at the invisible wall he had no doubt been awakened to identify. Whether is was asked or not was still too soon for him to identify.

"I'm pretty sure it's not invisible, since then I'm sure Adalmar could identify that nobody could see them from the outside at night as well. My bet, just one way transparency, sort of like the way a window works between a dark room and a light room."

Without, and ignoring, any demand, he settles to himself that he is not going to be able to go back to sleep, and so drowsily begins to inspect the raised platforms. When the floor begins to dematerialize and his feet begin to slowly sink into the floor, he wheels around onto the Ettin platform and sits tight until the floor is fully gone.

kuja.girl
2007-06-01, 08:49 AM
Tiriel

Awake, but not rested, Tiriel sleeply looks at the landscape revealed by the transparent walls. Whatever the cause, the effect is rather nice. She starts to nod back asleep but wakes up at the other's shouts and the creepy sensation of sinking through a floor. Quickly grabbing her belongings, she takes to the air and heads toward one of the unoccupied platforms.
"Is anyone else regretting entering this tower, or is it just me?" She says grumpily.

If all the platforms are of an equal height, then Tiriel will head towards the closest one. If their tiered, she'll land on the tallest one.

Koji
2007-06-01, 01:46 PM
Khazrael

A sharp laugh answers Tiriel's question.

"Oh come on, you mean to say you still aren't having fun?"

blackfox
2007-06-01, 03:19 PM
Katrin

Once the floor starts to dissolve, Katrin scrambles on the nearest platform with her gear. "Trust me, Tiriel... you're not the only one."

Phasm
2007-06-01, 03:27 PM
Lissa

Lissa puts on a look of exaggerated thoughtfulness, resting her chin on one fist. And pointedly ignoring Achkby. "Well, let's see. There's certain death by freezing outside. Or there's the unknown but menacing and mysterious black tower. Hmm..." She nods solemnly. "Yep, I think I still prefer the tower. Even if the architects were a few bolts short of a quiver. At least we've got some chance of survival in here."

Dr._Bob
2007-06-02, 07:15 PM
One by one each of you wades over to a platform as the floor dissolves from underfoot.

Callos stands in the center of the floor over the "fallen angel" symbol, but it too fades away, forcing the necromancer to leap to the "medusa" symbol.

Elthan scoots onto the "ettin" platform. Aeroz and Trinark scramble onto another platform marked with what might be a "manticore".

Adalmar, Katrin, and Tiriel join Khazrael on the "dragon" platform. Achkby and Lissa leap onto the increasingly crowded platform, clinging to Khazrael's legs for balance.

Lumpy looks around the room as the party breaks up, deciding whether to take his chances by himself on an empty platform or join the others. Sighing, he steps onto the crowded platform with the majority of the party.

Within seconds, the transformation is complete and the platforms float independently, seemingly in midair.

The stars above seem to vanish as each platform is individually shrouded in darkness. Each of you experiences a nauseating vertigo, then all is still.

Those of you with darkvision are able to get oriented first. Adalmar takes out his torch, illuminating the room. Adalmar, Khazraek, Lumpy, Katrin, Tiriel, Achkby and Lissa find themselves standing alone in the circular room, once again visible and solid.

The only visible change is that some of the markings seem to have been moved around. The platform everyone is currently standing on is now marked with the "fallen angel", which seems to have switched with the central sigil. From your current vantage point, the "dragon" (now in the center of the floor) looks upside down.

"You know, it actually looks more like a stag's head," Katrin observes.

Of Aeroz, Trinark, Elthan and Callos, there is no trace ...

OOC: Players of the "missing" characters need to PM me ...

Koji
2007-06-02, 10:29 PM
Khazrael

"The platforms are different--is this the same tower?"

He glances around for anything familiar or different features.

Phasm
2007-06-03, 12:05 AM
Lissa

Lissa sighs, rubbing her forehead. Just one night of peace and, dare I hope, sleep. Is that too much to ask, O Sly One? Your servant does her best, but you know, mortals need sleep in order to function. The gnome looks decidedly cranky at this point, as if she were really looking forward to the end of watch and her bedroll (which is hopefully at the bottom of the tower by now, as opposed to another dimension).

"Oh, lovely. This is just what we needed. Another poxy magic puzzle-trap-thingy set up by the never-to-be-sufficiently-accursed mage who enchanted these blasted towers!" She glares down at the dragon that's moved to the middle of the floor, as if this were somehow it's fault.

namo
2007-06-03, 04:00 AM
Adalmar

He mutters a swearword in Rashemi under his breath and steps hastily from the platform : he still doesn't like what the falling angel might indicate. Hopefully it's just superstition.

"I'm afraid we're in a different tower..."

Damn, and I left Kir outside !

"Wait, some people are missing..." He tries to remember the missing faces.

"Those two mages... they're gone !"

A pause. But he has no idea what to do about it.
"I say we don't spend any more time in this tower than we need to - let's head downstairs." His voice is gruff, as usual.

Phasm
2007-06-03, 12:38 PM
Lissa

"Wait... wait. Just a second, Adalmar, let's think about this. I don't fancy slogging from tower to tower through the snow looking for people if we don't have to." Lissa hops down from the angel platform (it's higher up for a gnome), looking intently from the angel to the dragon. She twirls the end of her blonde braid, thinking. "Nations come and go, but gnomeoid nature doesn't change all that much. If we don't want to wade through the snow, the tower-builders probably didn't want to either." Tap-tap. Lissa prods the floor with an experimental toe, wondering if it too will dissolve.

"I think these platforms might be a magical transportation system, with each tower designated by a creature." She points at the dragon inlay in the middle of the floor. "See, we stepped on a dragon platform when the magic activated, and now the dragon's in the middle- just like the falling angel back in the other tower. I bet if we went downstairs, there'd be a dragon on the front door. So we came from Falling Angel Tower to Dragon Tower." Hands on hips, Lissa tilts her head at the group still standing on the platform. "If I'm following this trail correctly- which I might not be, the gods know I've been wrong before- we just have to figure out what activated the transportation magic back there, do it again here, and everyone crowd back onto the Falling Angel platform. Hopefully the others will figure the puzzle out, and the most reasonable place for everyone to go is back where we started."

HempRope
2007-06-03, 12:50 PM

Achkby sighs deeply.

"That's how I figure it, too. But I'd wager the magics work at midnight, or when the moon's at a certain phase, or something unhappily mystical along those lines. We might just have to wait it out to be reunited with the others.

"If we can, though, we should use these spatial portals to our advantage."
Damn, Callos is rubbing off on me.
"Um, I mean that we should see if there's a map or something. Figure out which tower is farthest northeast, or closest to Rashemen... at the very least find one across this lake. Probably meet up with the others at the falling angel, or maybe just make our own way to the Iron Lord..."

And get me free of Elthan.

blackfox
2007-06-03, 01:08 PM
Katrin

Katrin studies the symbols on the floor. Somewhat absently, she says, "I don't think we should go anywhere in this tower unless we know where the others are first." The symbol in the center must be actually part of the floor... some sort of marker or something, because it dissolved when Callos was standing on it... and the center symbol in the other tower was a falling angel, and now we're on the falling angel platform in this tower... and we were on the dragon platform in the other tower, and the center symbol in this tower is a dragon... you must be able to get to a certain tower by standing on the platform with that symbol!
Ready to explain this discovery to the party, she hears Lissa finish her explanation and decides not to. "Does anyone remember what platforms Aeroz and Elthan and everyone else got onto? Because if Lissa's right, we could get to where they are by standing on those platforms ourselves..."

Koji
2007-06-03, 02:54 PM
Khazrael

A grin creeps across Khazrael's face. He steps off of the platform and fiddles with his hair.

"I hope they can manage to sit still while we figure out how to reactivate this thing."

namo
2007-06-03, 02:55 PM
Adalmar

He reddens, embarassed at his public display of thickness. They seem to take everything smoothly in stride, whereas he is always lagging behind...

Perhaps keeping quiet is not such a bad idea after all.

She's right - it makes sense... at least for a mage, and it's definitely a cabal of mages who created those things.

We need to know where we are, and to find the others. We cannot all stand on the same platform, so we have to take a reference point, and work from there. But if each tower has its own trap...

Dr._Bob
2007-06-03, 09:37 PM
You decide that it would be prudent to identify each of the platforms before taking any further actions.

In the center of the floor is the "dragon" glyph, although on closer inspection it might be better described as a "stag's head" glyph with the "dragon's wings" actually representing the stag's rack of antlers when viewed from a different viewpoint.

Surrounding the central glyph are a dozen platforms, each individually marked.

You decide to name them as follows:

hippogriff
chimera
manticore
basilisk
medusa
falling angel
ettin
gynosphinx
harpy
serpent
minotaur
beholder

Koji
2007-06-03, 11:57 PM
Khazrael

"Elthan was on the ettin and the drow was on the manticore. I remember that much."

He considers Akhby's words for a moment.

"So the towers activate nightly, or did someone turn it on for us? I'm guessing that if we really teleported, these were used to zip people around to send messages or defend the region. If only Elthan can open it, we need to find a way to activate the tower and get back to him."

Khazrael strides to the ettin platform and kneels on it, running his hands over the surface to check for any method of activation.

"If someone outside of our group activated that tower, then we could be in a lot of danger."

Dr._Bob
2007-06-04, 08:20 AM
Adalmar considers Lissa's theory. "But there are far more than 12 or 13 towers along the coast. I would say that there must have been at least two score that my people knew of spread out along the shore."

The ranger looks tired. He can not sense Kir as he is accustomed to doing. He is afraid that his animal companion is now far, far away ...

kuja.girl
2007-06-05, 10:27 PM
Tiriel

"In that case, shouldn't we try to get out of the tower so we can get our bearings?
Of course, we may not even be able to open the door without Elthan. Since no one can sense anything magical, maybe we should look for a switch?"

Phasm
2007-06-05, 10:51 PM
Lissa

Lissa frowns, toying with her medallion. It's the I'm-thinking-really-hard sort of frown, as opposed to a Somebody-has-annoyed-me frown or an I-want-to-kill-the-evil-mage frown. "I'm kind of hoping Achkby's right about the activation mechanism, actually. Something like moonrise or midnight as the trigger. I mean, nobody was actually doing anything when the floor started melting back in Falling Angel." She runs a hand along the edge of the Falling Angel platform. "Khazrael and I were just talking when the walls went invisible, and everyone else was asleep. Then... I don't think anyone cast any spells, did they? We were all looking around, admiring the view, trying to figure out what the Abyss happened. A few minutes later, the floor starts going soft and everyone scrambles for the platforms." Lissa shrugs. "Maybe that was midnight? The moon was out, I was watching the moonlight on the lake, so it can't have been moonrise or moonset."

Dr._Bob
2007-06-06, 11:50 AM
After exploring the platform chamber thoroughly, the party decides to try to make its way down to the ground level.

This tower is definitely different from the original tower. The doors in this building are made of thick oak beams bound in dark iron. Katrin and Lissa are careful to check each door for traps, but they find none. In fact, the doors are not even locked.

Reaching the lower level you find that, unlike the original tower, this one does not have any steps leading downward. There is some debris here, nothing particularly interesting, just some old ragged hides and a few bones.

You open the front door cautiously. The massive wooden door swings open into the tower without a sound. Thanks to the moonlight, your dark adapted eyes have no trouble making out a thick pine forest surrounding the tower. Fresh powdery snow lies on the ground. All is quiet.

Koji
2007-06-06, 04:16 PM
Khazrael

He seems revitalized by the night sky. A smile creeps over his delicate features and his bony frame draws itself to its full height.

He looks at Tiriel, fairly certain she's got the same idea, but he voices it anyway.

"Why don't you fly up and see if you can spy the other tower, or at least the lake?"

He rubs at his chin.

"Did you see any signs up on top of the tower? Do you think you could carry me to the top of this one? I want to check and see if the tops have the symbol like the doors do."

namo
2007-06-06, 05:58 PM
Adalmar

He takes some time to re-orient himself, looking for tell-tale signs on the tower and trees.

[roll0] to find the North and maybe some indication of where they are.

blackfox
2007-06-06, 07:23 PM
Katrin

Katrin is uncomfortable progressing too far outside. "I don't think we should go too far when we don't know where we are... especially with the way the last tower reacted to us. I'd rather get back to familiar ground."

kuja.girl
2007-06-06, 07:27 PM
Tiriel

Relieved that exiting the tower was far easier than she expected she gladly answers Khaz's . "There wasn't a symbol on the top of the last tower. But I'll let you know what I find." She says before taking off into the air.

She wonders just how far they'd managed to travel and whether it was in the right direction....

Dr._Bob
2007-06-08, 08:57 AM
Adalmar step forward towards the pine forest while the others stand cautiously just outside the tower entrance.

Almost pre-consciously the ranger has already been analyzing his environment. He notes the position of the moon, low on the horizon. He can smell water in the direction of the setting moon, and even his merely human eyes can see the dark moss on one side of the tree trunks in the moonlight.

"The moon is setting in the west," Adalmar points in one direction, then turns 90 degrees to his right. "North is that way."

Leaping upward in a spray of powdery snow, Tiriel flies toward the top of the tower. Her wings beat powerfully and she reaches the apex in only a few moments. Her feet sink into the loose snow at the top as she lands. Kneeling, she brushes away the loose snow and finds what she expected - a featureless disc set in the center of the platform.

Looking towards the moon, she sees that the forest ends not more than several hundred yards away, replaced by a familiar sight - the mirror calm blackness of still water, stretching away to the horizon.

Koji
2007-06-08, 04:34 PM
Khazrael

"If these towers are use-activated, rather than time-activated, I'm sure the two wizards have the best shot at figuring them out. I'd bet that the activation device is up top, either outside or in."

Khazrael paces in the snow a bit. Despite his lack of heavy clothing, he doesn't shiver against the freezing cold.

"Maybe someone used one of the other towers, and that caused 'em all to work at the same time--it's reasonable to assume that since they're all connected, they all teleport at once, right?"

He watches Tiriel on top of the tower and yells, "Maybe you need a magic seeing spell!"

He utters a now-familiar arcane phrase and scrabbles up the wall to see for himself.

((OOC: I'll be using detect magic once I get up there to look at the stone on top.))

Dr._Bob
2007-06-10, 09:03 AM
Khazrael clambers to the top of the tower, joining Tiriel.

Looking down at the featureless disc, he scans it with detect magic and reports seeing the "stag's head" or "dragon" glyph. Otherwise, the same strange aura emanates from this tower that permeated the previous one.

Together Tiriel and Khazrael watch the moon set. The sky is lightening behind them. Dawn will be here soon.

blackfox
2007-06-10, 10:12 AM
Katrin

Katrin is at a loss for words. She paces around in front of the tower, worrying about the rest of the group and how to complete their eventual goal--warning the Iron Lord.

Koji
2007-06-10, 04:01 PM
Khazrael

"I knew it--I bet this thing is the activation device!"

He scrabbles halfway down the wall and instructs the others to go inside and stand on the ettin platform, hoping to send them to find Trinark and Elthan.

(OOC: Once everyone goes inside, I'll give them about ten minutes to assemble. Once that's accomplished, I'll be using darkness to try and emulate the previous disappearance of the moon--seemingly what activated it the first time)

Dr._Bob
2007-06-11, 08:53 AM
With Khazrael urging everyone on, you climb back up to the platform chamber and gather on the "ettin" platform.

The chamber is pitch black, as are all rooms within the windowless tower, making the experience particularly uncomfortable for those without darkvision.

When Khazrael casts darkness, everyone gets to share the experience of being completely blind.

"Is anything happening?" someone asks. No one experiences any vertigo or sensation of movement.

When Khazrael terminates the darkness and someone lights a torch, you find yourselves standing on the "ettin" platform in the same "stag's head" chamber. Nothing appears to have changed.

"It will be morning soon. Maybe it only works at night?"

HempRope
2007-06-11, 10:27 AM

Achkby has silently cooperated with Khazrael's experiment, but now voices his skepticism.

"I don't think it can be dependent on light or anything that changes like that," the little mage argues, "It wouldn't be reliable enough. For the creators and operators, I mean. I can't see it relying on anything but time or some trigger. And I'd imagine the dissolving of the tower has something to do with that.
"Actually, the teleportation could be dependent on light. Perhaps the presence of light starts them, seeing as we moved when the walls disappeared and the moonlight was let in."

Dr._Bob
2007-06-11, 10:47 AM
Returning to the tower's base, you watch the sun rise over the tips of the pine trees.

Turning from the sunrise to the east toward the large body of water in the opposite direction, Adalmar rubs his chin.

"Could we be in Rashemen? Could this be the other side of the Lake?"

Phasm
2007-06-11, 03:56 PM
Lissa

Lissa shrugs wearily. It looks like her lack of sleep coupled with the emotional stress of the past twenty-four hours is taking its toll on the normally energetic gnome. "You got me. I can't navigate worth beans once I'm outside a city." She twirls the end of her braid in the familiar thinking/stressed habit. "If we are on the Rashemen side of the lake, though, that's one big problem solved. Two actually; there's vampires on the other side." She looks up at Khazrael, then over at Achkby. "I don't suppose either of you magely types can send a magical message to the others? At this point, it might just be faster for everyone to meet up at the Iron Lord's place."

Koji
2007-06-11, 05:10 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael kicks at the platform and curses its very existence.

"Who builds something that is this useful in an emergency and decides that it should ONLY WORK AT NIGHT?! Damn it! I hope those idiots have the sense to SIT STILL while we run after them!"

He gathers his thoughts and takes a seat. Mercurial as ever, he smiles at Lissa when she asks him about long-range communication.

"I have to gather my thoughts if I'm going to get my magic back in order. Unfortunately, even then, I wouldn't be able to communicate that far. The way I see it, we should wait until night time, gather up the others, wait another day, then meet back up here and hit the road again."

He looks at himself in his small mirror--really just a highly polished square of steel--and pushes his hair around a bit.

"Or maybe Tiriel could wing it up there, see if she can see any other towers, now that it's daylight. If they're looking, they'll see where we are."

HempRope
2007-06-12, 01:23 AM

Achkby shakes his head despondently, patting the case across his shoulder.

"Used to. It's been too long since I've really been ready for an adventure like this..."

He sinks into silence for a moment, but muses aloud, "Wait... why can't we tell if we're across the lake? I don't know much about navigating, but if the sun's rising over the lake... aren't we on the east side now?"

Dr._Bob
2007-06-12, 09:07 AM
"Well, with the sun rising over there," Lumpy points over the treetops. "And with the water back that way," the half-orc jerks a thumb behind him, "it's a sure bet that we're on the east side of something. But whether we've been transported to Rashemen or not, is another question altogether ..."

Tiriel leaps from the top of the tower and circles above, enjoying the feeling of sunlight on her wings. As she flies in larger and higher circles, she sees no other towers nearby, just the dark lake to the west and endless pine forest in every other direction.

blackfox
2007-06-12, 10:00 AM
Katrin

Katrin continues to pace around in irritation and frustration at not having accomplished anything. They had obviously been transported to the eastern side of the lake, but there was no telling exactly where they were, which was a liability as far as Katrin was concerned.

namo
2007-06-12, 04:39 PM
Adalmar

He paces back and forth, frustrated. Kir far away, and this unknown place. He hopes it is Rashemen, because he has to. Otherwise, how will he ever be able to fulfill his mission ?

"When the evening comes, I can ask Mielikki for a spell that will help us orient ourselves somewhat."

Adalmar is supposed to have visited the woods east of the Lake of Tears once or twice. Nothing obviously familiar to him right now ?

Dr._Bob
2007-06-12, 09:13 PM
Tiriel lands in a spray of powdery snow. Tucking her wings behind her she reports seeing a trail to the north that seems to stick to the coastline. She saw no additional towers nearby, but perhaps the trail leads to a town or village ...

HempRope
2007-06-12, 11:41 PM

"We're on the East side. That's where we were heading. We have to keep moving. We have to reach Rashemen." Achkby announces authoritatively.

"Let's leave as soon as we can and press on. Good work on sighting that trail, it has to be our best chance of getting our bearing, and likely means progress toward the Lord. If anyone has parchment, we should leave a note here for the others, in case they manage to come through tonight. I'd rather wait for them, but we honestly can't afford to. If there isn't something to write on... well, I can chalk up the floor or walls. And then we need to start moving again."

On whatever material is available, Achkby scrawls the following message in Common:
"Next morning, followed path north. Hope to orient or move towards Iron Lord. Please follow unless you know better. --Achkby"
He inscribes the same message on a piece of paper he lays on the Falling Angel platform. If there's no paper, he rips some material from one of his sacks, and does his best to write on that. Unless someone has some spare leather.

Koji
2007-06-13, 12:08 AM
Khazrael

He watches the halfling work for a while, then spits on the stone floor and grumbles.

"If those vampires catch up to us--or to them--it'll be trouble."

namo
2007-06-13, 10:49 AM
Adalmar

He shakes his head. "If we are in the forest East of the lake, we need to head to the South East. To the mountains, and the Iron Lord's abode.

And if we are elsewhere" - the volume of his voice dips at that word - "we want to activate the tower again."

blackfox
2007-06-13, 05:38 PM
Katrin

Katrin continues to pace around. "Is there any way of telling exactly where we are without talking to people who know? We have to pick a direction to go and then ask for directions to the mountains when we get to a town... unless you could tell where we were with the view from the top of the tower, Aldamar?"

Dr._Bob
2007-06-14, 09:28 AM
Achkby leaves the note on the "falling angel" platform, and your party heads out along the trail.

The trail is little more than a footpath, which has obviously not been in use for a very long time. Adalmar is able to follow it easily, however, and traveling under the ancient branches of the enormous pines is fairly easy.

The path begins to turn eastward slightly, meandering deeper inland, away from the lake behind you.

The journey through the forest takes days. As Adalmar reorients himself, he suspects that you have found yourselves in the Ashenwood, a large forest south of Immilmar.

The trail you are on, he predicts, will eventually exit the eastern edge of the Ashenwood at the Running Rocks, a spur of the High Country. If he is right, you should be able to cut north along the edge of the Running Rocks, eventually reaching the Huhrong's Road, which will lead back west to Immilmar.

You travel through the days and into the nights, guided by the light of the full moon. Soon, you are rewarded by the sight of the granite peaks of the Running Rocks appearing on the horizon as the forest thins and eventually ends.

Katrin has been increasingly irritable and snappy, and you are reminded that it is her "time of the month". Indeed, each night, she transforms into her panther form and disappears, only to reappear in human form, tired and disheveled, in the morning.

As you climb upward into the foothills of the Running Rocks, the cold becomes more acute, and the wind seems to cut through your winter gear as if it wasn't even there. Adalmar suggests moving towards the mountains, hugging their bases in order to take advantage of what little shelter from the weather they can provide.

The next several days prove to be a test of your resolve and endurance. Inching northward along the edge of the Running Rocks, you are blasted by wind, snow and ice. Conversation drops off almost completely as each of you focuses on simply placing one foot in front of the other in grim silence.

Lissa depletes the charges in her wand as she tries to keep ahead of the frostbite that turns your fingers, toes, and noses purple, then black. More than once, each of you wonders what you are even doing here, questioning the point of the whole "mission". But it is too late to turn back. You have no choice but to move forward ...

As you near the northern limits of the Running Rocks, Adalmar spots movement along a ridge up above you.

A caravan is visible along the ridgeline, looking similarly worn and wind-blasted. Like you, the caravan appears to be heading northward, with the jagged peaks of the Running Rocks looming above. They are close enough to hail, but far enough away and above you to look like small black dots wriggling along the mountain trail.

Your small group debates whether to contact the caravan or not, but while you are considering your next option, you witness a great tragedy unfold ...

A massive build-up of snow on one of the highest peaks breaks free, sliding downward and accumulating even more mass and speed as it falls. The avalanche is enormous by the time it hits the caravan. You witness the desperate but futile attempts of the caravaners to outrun the wall of snow.

Awestruck, you hardly have time to register the loss of the caravan before Adalmar shouts, "RUN!!!" The avalanche continues to roar down the mountainside and is upon you before you can take even take three steps ...

You tumble helplessly in a cloud of opaque whiteness, torn from the other members of your party. When you finally come to rest, you can not even determine which way is up and which way is down. A voice calls out. It sounds like Tiriel ...

blackfox
2007-06-14, 10:04 AM
Katrin

Katrin, having been raised in the temperate area of Sembia, had never seen an avalanche before, although she had heard tales of them. Frightened and fatigued, she begins to panic, shrieking Tiriel's name and flailing around with her arms and legs, trying to break the surface of the snow.

(OOC: Ooh, new people! :smallbiggrin: )

barawn
2007-06-14, 11:14 AM
Grumpy caravan member

I hate snow. I hate it even more, now. Note to self: add "personal hatred" surcharge on any jobs in this area.

Just then, a voice pierces the utter quiet of being trapped in snow. Wait... there's someone out there... Desperately, he attempts to stick his hand out up through the snow - anything, whatever he can. Straining as much as he can, he attempts to call for help. Maybe he can get out on his own. Maybe not. But right now, help would be good.

"Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! "

Draconic? What the heck was I thinking there? A random passerby who only speaks Draconic is going to help me?

Burrowing as best he can, he tries to free himself from the snow...

Oh, I'm going to be really upset if my stuff on my horse is lost...

Diarmuid
2007-06-14, 12:12 PM
Buried Caravan Member

As the world stops tumbling end over end she found herself shivering, surrounded in white.

Oh no! The caravan, someone is likely hurt, and I'm buried in this tomb of snow and ice.

Hearing the voices call out for help, she is not sure she recognises the languages. Yelling out in the local tongue of Rasheman she adds hers to the voices of those yelling for help, while trying to struggle her way out of her icy prison.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-14, 01:35 PM
Woman Buried In Snow

How the hell had she gotten herself into this mess?

Sure, she had been looking for work, looking to make a few gold to pay her way, but those commoners in the area just sent her away after exchanging her gold for goods. It wasn't her fault that she had to take the caravan to more hospitable places. And the weather sure wasn't her damn fault.

Neither was the avalanche.

Or her horse bucking her off while the dumb creature was crushed under the white powder.

Now here she was, freezing to dead in a big pile of snow. It was as far from the comforts she would have given her prized weapon for at the moment that she could be. And yet...

Was that a voice?

"...Hey. HEY!" She cried out, trying to wriggle out from her icy confines. "Over here, help me out!"

Maybe her luck hadn't run out fully.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-14, 01:57 PM
Snow covered man

The man had been resting before the fall, and was taken off guard. Damn, I should have known better than to let my guard drop in this weather! As the caravan toppled, he sprung from his sitting position, and hit the mountainside. He rolled into it, trying to get the least amount of injuries he could. He felt a tear in his clothing, and was sure that he had some gashes in his sides.

The man heard voices calling to each other. They sounded desperate, he needed to help. His feet dug into the mountainside, though it did little to slow him. Still, he managed to roll himself a bit towards the sound.

He tried to scream, but was drowned out by the rush of snow and rocks. A fist sized chunk of ice flew towards his head, and smashed his nose, breaking it by his guess.

Thargor
2007-06-14, 05:22 PM
Heavily bound man

He had been pulling guard duty and been on the uphill side of the caravan as the avalanche struck. The last thing he remembered was drawing his weapon and turning to face the oncoming wall of snow, in what now seemed an almost comically hopeless act. Getting picked up by the onslaught and smashed through the nearest of the wagons put him completely out.

He woke up to the sound of calling voices. Orienting himself he seemed to be buried head down in the snow. His chain was tangled securely around his legs, one large spike digging painfully into his thigh. The canvas covering the wagon had ended up wrapped around his torso pinning both arms. An experimental wiggle served only to tighten his restraints. Taking as deep a breath as the canvas would allow he yelled,

“Help! Can anyone here me!”

Struggling to remain calm he began to wait.

Matticus
2007-06-14, 05:27 PM
Dazed Half-Elf

Isn't this just great. Gods, my leg hurts..

Standing up, he looks around, dazed. These rocks weren't here a minute ago...

"Hello? Is anyone...still alive?"
He looks around, still dazed. Was that a voice? Which way did it come from? Over...There! He tries running in the direction he thinks the voice is coming from, but trips on his injured leg and falls flat on his face.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-14, 05:46 PM
Snow-covered Man

The avalanche had lightened up, and the man discovered that he had stopped moving. Still, he was buried under tons of snow, and it was pressing down on him. He heard the voices again, but they were muffled now. He had no way of telling which way was up, but he decided that he would try to tunnel towards the voices. After a few minutes of struggling against the snow, his hand broke forth.

He pulled himself up, and surveyed his surroundings. The environment was mostly white, no surprise there. Even in the dim moonlight, the snow sparkled brilliantly.

There was a man yelling, and it looked as if he was stuck under a wagon.

"I'm coming, hold on!"

It was difficult to maneuver through the snow, and the man almost sank under a few times. Once he had reached the other person, he found more stable footing. He grabbed a rather sharp-looking rock, and sliced through some of the canvas.

"Are you alright?"

barawn
2007-06-14, 05:59 PM
Grumpy caravan member

Common. I'd swear that's Common. More than one voice, too.

Struggling towards the voice, he reached his hand out, and upward. Maybe it broke the surface. It's so ungodly cold, I can't feel a thing.

"If anyone can hear me, over here!"

Matticus
2007-06-14, 06:08 PM
Dazed Half-Elf

That was definitely a voice!!
Struggling to his feet, he limps slowly towards where he thinks the voice had come from, and tripped over again. Not even bothering to rise, he crawls onwards, towards a hand that had just broke the surface of the snow. Frantically, he starts trying to dig it's owner out.
"Don't worry! I'll get you out of there! Can you hear me?"

Thargor
2007-06-14, 07:59 PM
Heavily bound man

Thank Helm. Graros my friend, I guess today is not my day to see you again.

The though ran through his head as it became noticeably lighter. He could hear a slightly muffled yet concerned voice asking about his condition.

“I’m not badly hurt, just a bit tangled. If you could hurry the canvas is making it hard to breath.”

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-14, 08:49 PM
Snow-covered Man

"Of course."

He hurried with the rock, and finally cut the canvas in half. He offered his hand.

"Quickly now, I believe there are others in need of our assistance."

Koji
2007-06-15, 12:06 AM
Khazrael

Against even the most bitter cold, Khazrael never bundled up. He never suffered from frostbite. The bitter storms made him uncomfortable, but even then he seemed cheery, alert, and ever sleeveless. He shrugged off the odd looks, and ate snow rather than depleting the supply of unfrozen water. If only they knew...

Now, however, with snow packed in all around him, freezing against every inch of exposed skin, he wishes only that his old jacket hadn't been burned up.

Damn it, I don't know a SINGLE fire spell?!

He struggles against the caked, freezing snow, calling back to the voice that he heard and working with every ounce of his energy to get free.

((OOC: If I can work my arms free, I'm firing a lightning bolt straight upward. If not, HEEEEEEEEEELLLLP!!!))

Thargor
2007-06-15, 12:09 AM
Heavily bound man

He gladly took the proffered hand and stood as quickly as he could manage. Cold and battered muscles protested and he realized that most of his body was one large bruise.

"Thanks friend, where should we start searching?"

With practiced ease he began coiling the chain that had previously bound his legs, taking the opportunity to take stock of his surroundings and his rescuer.

Dr._Bob
2007-06-15, 01:04 AM
Tiriel plunges a hand down into the snow. Clasping Katrin's forearm, she wrenches her friend free. Katrin falls to her knees, coughing and blinking in the sunlight.

Seeing strangers rise from the snow, both Tiriel and Katrin smooth their hair back, tying on headbands ...

Voices begin to break the unnatural stillness that followed the avalanche. Muffled voices pierce the snow here and there. A few survivors manage to dig themselves out without help. They in turn start trying to dig out the others.

A blond armored woman digs out a dark-haired rogue. The two women seem to know each other.

A lightning blast explodes out of the snow, causing everyone to flinch. Some snow shifts up above, and for a moment some of you think that the loud noise is going to trigger another avalanche. But fortunately the snow holds ... for now at least. A thin, pale man with what appears to be feathers sticking out of his hair pokes his head up out of the steaming crater he just created in the snow.

Koji
2007-06-15, 01:48 AM
Khazrael

By Lolth's tangled web! I can't believe that worked!

Khazrael cracks a cool smile, not sparing a word before he starts digging around for any other survivors.

Matticus
2007-06-15, 02:39 AM
Limping Half-Elf

Staggering upright, he looks around at the caravan members digging each other out. He tries to walk towards them, and falls flat on his face again. Deciding this is the best way to spend the next while until everybody is dug out, he shirks and responsability and lies on the cold, lumpy ground.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-15, 06:14 AM
Woman Buried in Snow

She started to claw her way out of the confines of the snowy grip that held her in place. While it seems that others were already being rescued, she was having her own problems and without assistance.

She starts to climb out of the snow of her own accord, hoping that she can pull herself onto the surface before she contracts frostbite.

Either Climb or Escape Artist roll...

Climb: [roll0]

Escape Artist: [roll1]

Diarmuid
2007-06-15, 07:17 AM
Buried Caravan Member

Her limbs are beginning to ache as the cold settles deep into her core. Her forced immobility is triggering a small bout of claustrophobia. She continues to cry out for help as she struggles to free herself.

[roll0]

barawn
2007-06-15, 07:45 AM
Grumpy caravan member

Grabbing the hand of his rescuer, he pulls himself upwards burrows out of the snow. Well now, that wasn't so bad.

"Thanks. I don't think I could've gotten out of there myself."

He quickly brushes the snow out of his jet-black hair, and stretches, his dark black outfit a stark contrast against the white snow. With the "crack!" of the lightning bolt, his eyes immediately dart over to its source.

Spellcaster. Time to make an introduction.

Gathering himself once more, he quickly strides over to the source of the arcane bolt. "Ho there! Are you all right? You might want to hold off on those until we get everyone free and clear of the area."

blackfox
2007-06-15, 09:25 AM
Katrin

Katrin kneels on top of the snow, gasping for breath. She runs a finger across the scar on her cheek and reties her headband, making sure it is secure, then checks her pack and weapons to make sure nothing had been torn away in the avalanche. When she gets her breath back and calms down, she says, "Thank you, Tiriel."

Katrin jumps in surprise at the lightning bolt and glares in the general direction of the melted crater. "Stupid... he's going to set off the snow slide again. I've heard that even shouting can set them off..." Muttering about sorcerers and shivering, she takes her sheathed shortsword off her belt and goes in the direction of the nearest buried voice to help free the trapped person underneath the snow.

(OOC: To newcomers: Katrin is a tall, lithe human woman with short black hair, green eyes, and a scar across one cheekbone. She is wearing a dark headband.)

Dr._Bob
2007-06-15, 09:26 AM
Two men, one carrying a spiked chain, free themselves and begin to help others out of the snow.

Following a cry of distress, they dig out a woman, freeing her from the packed snow. She has blue eyes and red hair, braided in the Rashemi manner.

They also free a dark-haired man, clad all in black.

The blond warrior and her dark-haired friend help another woman nearby dig herself out of the snow. An exhausted half-elf faceplants in the snow near them.

Taking a quick headcount, you note nine survivors so far ...

barawn
2007-06-15, 10:04 AM
Grumpy caravan member

Turning from the arcane crater forged in the snow, as its creator hurries off to help the others, he notices several of the other caravan members have survived as well. "Seems a few of us survived that, I see. Do you remember how many of us there were?"

One of these days, I'm going to have to learn to pay more attention. Just because I don't think it's important, doesn't mean it isn't.

"I don't think I've introduced myself properly. Sorry about that - I hate snow. Even more now. My name's Damian."

Hmm. There could be people still buried in the snow. I wonder if I could see them better if... and if not, there could be things they've dropped.

His forehead tenses, and his grey, colorless eyes flare bright blue for a moment, settling down to a more normal blue afterwards, as he starts scanning the surroundings for anything buried near enough to the surface to see.

Detect Magic, first time. (3 per day)
[roll0]

elliott20
2007-06-15, 10:36 AM
Olfacht

Olfacht casts "endure elements" upon himself to fight the cold, then begins digging his way out.

The scent of the snow suggests a consistency that is not too difficult to dig through.

Olfacht never really liked the smell of fallen snow. It reminds him of the scent of stagnant water, which is never pleasant.

OOC: Olfacht is a small, short man (as far as humans go) with thinning brown hair and strangely piercing blue eyes.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-15, 10:49 AM
Woman Covered In Snow

She pant heavily as she latches onto the arm of her rescuer, pulling herself out from her confines. Thank the gods she was out of the snow.

She was a woman in her late twenties, with shapely flexible limbs underneath a thick woolen tunic and breeches. Brushing the snow from herself she stood up in her breastplate armor, a pattern of feathers inked in black decorating her protection. She brushed her bushy brown hair from hersimilarly colored eyes, feeling relaxed now that she knew that her hair tie hadn't come undone from the high ponytail she put it up in. It was her last remaining hair-tie, and she'd like to not lose it in the snow.

After making certain her pack, the spiked chain she had wrapped around her waist, and all of the other essentials were not lost in the deep snow, she turned towards her savior.

"Thanks. I hope I didn't contract frostbite...oh, damn! My horse!" She flew into a flurry of curses in Common, Elven and Dwarven, none of them generally pleasant.

Calming down, she sighed. "Great. Caravan's pretty much gone...thank goodness for those of us who survived."

namo
2007-06-15, 11:19 AM
Adalmar

His first reaction had been a shout, which was rewarded by a mouthful of snow. Coughing it back out, he had time to take a breath before the crest of the avalanche overtook him.

Slowly coming back to his senses, he tries to remember the advice given by his Rashemi colleagues. First, orient oneself. He digs a bit around himself, consolidating some walls as he goes, and grabbing handfuls of snow, let them fall until he has a better sense of up and down.

He seems to be in a bad spot : he can hear voices, but very muffled. Which means there is a fairly thick layer of snow above him.

And he starts digging his way to freedom. Slowly at first, then frantically.

Phasm
2007-06-15, 11:55 AM
Lissa

Lissa just has time to register the coming avalanche and think Oh crap! before the roaring white engulfs her. She struggles valiantly to "swim" upward through the churning snow, but then something strikes the back of her head and everything goes dark...

A muffled thunderclap welcomes Lissa back to the land of the living. That, and a godsawful headache, and the fact that there's snow down every bit of her clothing and armor. "Unnnnh..." Well. At least I cast endure elements this morning, so I'll probably suffocate before I freeze. She struggles to think through the throbbing of her head. What else did she prepare the previous evening?

We were talking about ice monsters, what we might encounter, and... yeah, I got scared enough to ask Baravar for something a little louder than the usual. Not like I can sneak up on anything in this accursed snow anyway! Hmm. This just might work, especially if that thunderclap earlier was Achkby or Khazrael blasting their way free. Of course, this particular spell is guaranteed to give even a healthy caster a headache. Lissa clenches her fists. No help for it. The air is starting to grow stale. She wiggles her arms free, grasps her holy symbol in one hand, points upward with the other, and shouts a phrase in Celestial at the top of her lungs.

OOC: Cast sound burst straight up (and probably pass out shortly thereafter).

Diarmuid
2007-06-15, 12:12 PM
Rashemi Woman

Sounds from above her strengthen her resolve that she will escape this frigid prison, and as the snow cover becomes thinner, the glow of daylight becomes brighter and tears of joy run slowly down her cheek.

A short woman with dark red hair and glittering blue eyes beams up at her liberator.

By the havens! Thank you, thank you! Are the others hurt? Are they still buried?"

Looking around, not waiting to see if her words were understood she begins counting forms, but soon realises there are many standing around, or emerging from the snows that she does not recognise.

Fearful there may still be others trapped below the snow, she begins chanting in a lilting voice, her hands moving in concise motions,

Spellcraft DC 16

Casting Deathwatch to scan for people beneath the snow. If the spell cannot penetrate the snow layer, she will look around at those who have been exhumed thus far, and tend to those in most need of healing.

barawn
2007-06-15, 01:23 PM
Damian

Another spellcaster. Hmm. This might not be as motley a group as I had thought. And another, from the caravan? Hmm again! Perhaps I should've been paying more attention.

His eyes glance over at the Rashemi spellcaster, cocking his head and trying to recognize the spell.

[roll0]

Hmm. Looks familiar, but I can't place it. Maybe divine? The bolt-thrower's definitely arcane...

This could get interesting.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-15, 01:43 PM
Snow-Covered Man

The bolt of lightning frightened the man, and he took a defensive stance. He was unaccustomed to magic, and didn't enjoy having a bolt of lightning shoot up from the ground a few feet away from him.

Still, there were more pressing concerns at hand. He helped the woman up.

He was taken aback at the streams of words pouring from her mouth. Although he couldn't understand many of them, he knew they were shouted in anger.

Re-composing himself, he nodded. "Aye, it is a good thing indeed that others survived. It seems we may have to rely on each other for a while."

Thargor
2007-06-15, 03:06 PM
Heavily Bound Man

He had his weapon out before the echoes of the sound burst had faded.

Wonderful, that means at least two wizards. World would be a better place without them!

Addressing his two companions,

"Come on lets go check that out. If it is friendly we need to get it out of the snow before some spell triggers another avalanche. If its not I’d rather deal with it sooner than latter."

He began moving as quickly as the snow would allow towards the source.

Darius
2007-06-15, 03:19 PM
Tanner Gondsman

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/gladiator/storyline/gladiator119a.jpg

Traveling among the caravan is something Tanner has become all to familiar. With familiarity, he has let his guard down as he dozes idly to the movement of the sleigh. He feels no numbness of cold, for his endure elements protects him. Because he is not focusing on his surroundings, he fails to act when the snow cascades down upon him. It is only when the snowfall has him in his grasp does he combat the crushing weight.

Fighting to press his thumbs together, Tanner manages to speak the words of magic. A fan of flames bursts forth from his fingertips, instantly melting the snow in its path. With enough of a swath in front of him, Tanner wriggles himself up and free of his icy tomb.

"By Gond, what happened!?!" he exclaims. Seeing others working their way up and out, he responds to the Rashemi woman first, "I know not, sister, but I will lend my meager talents as well."

A cloak with a snowcat pelt rests upon his shoulders, covering the fine breastplate of this short bearded human. He wears his dark brown hair short and he may be considered ruggedly handsome. One may mistake him for a Rashemi if not for the accent in his voice, his quick smile, and the carved wheel cog holy symbol around his neck.

He moves to stand near the Wychlaran, but finds it difficult to traverse in the deep snow. He grasps the wheel cog around his neck and incants a phrase in the words of magic. The snow no longer binds the man - in fact, it seems to even help as the armored form glides easily across the top of the snow.

Spellcraft 16:
Tanner had cast snowshoes upon himself - a first level spell open to clerics, druids, and rangers

Koji
2007-06-15, 03:40 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael's hands scrabble at the snow until his fingers start to bleed. A hand goes to his knife, but he decides against using it--it'd be a shame to find a hidden person and stab them at the same time.

Between periods of intense digging, he stops to rest, taking the time to clamber halfway out of his snow-pit and casually observe the caravan team.

To them, he's an odd sight--a thin, attractive human man wearing only a sleeveless faded black shirt and a pair of slim black pants held up with a heavy belt. Large silver bangles weigh down his slender arms. A silver stud is pierced through each earlobe, while a silver ring runs through his left eyebrow.

A small nose, full lips, elegant eyebrows, and an angular face without a hint of facial hair give him a delicate, almost feminine air that isn't made any more masculine by the fact that he's wearing black kohl eyeliner. Strangest of all, however, are the black feathers emerging from his hair. It's a wonder they've stayed put, considering the heavy winds and recent avalanche.

HempRope
2007-06-15, 03:55 PM

Cold. Cold. Cold. Heavy.

Achkby snaps awake, but his eyelids open far more slowly. He is greeted with nothing but black, though, and lets them fall shut. He feels his hands near his head, but they won't move. His legs are folded into his stomach. He thinks back, wondering where he is.

That huge wall of snow came down...it hit the wagons... it kept coming... that funny man yelled something... "Avansh?"

Everyone started running... I was running too... but the snow came too fast... it hit us... I curled up... am I in the snow?!! AM I BURIED IN THE SNOW?!!!

Achkby is breathing hard, and while his extremities are still freezing, it begins to feel warm about his head.

Hot? The air. There's no air...

He starts wiggling his fingers, reaching to bring his hands together as his mind grasps at the web of energy encircling him. But the snow seems to impede both, holding down his fingers and walling him off from his magic.

Hlal, Kereska... Tamara? No... I, I need... Yondalla, in the name of all halflings, help me!

Achkby's thumbs touch, and something sparks. He can feel the energy flowing through him. He coughs out a few words, and a hemisphere of flame explodes before him, blasting away the snow and bringing feeling back into his hands.

"Thank you, mother," he whispers.

He casts another spell, simpler, and concentrates, slowly warming himself back up. He begins at his toes and moves up his legs, then to hos torso and finally out his arms to his fingers, still tingling with magical energy. He then turns the spell on the snow, moving it about his head until he feels water drip down on to the back of his neck.

That way up.

Slowly wriggling around until he lies on his back, Achkby casts a third spell, sending two rays of pure heat up through the snow. They leave behind them columns of light, and down rushes fresh air. Blessed air, clean and cold. He relishes the feeling of the frost biting into his lungs. And a moment later he hear sound. The crunching of something moving through the snow, and then voices... unfamiliar, but unmistakably sentient.

"Help," he whispers. And then, louder, "Help! Who's there?!"

And with that, he begins scrabbling away at the snow, carving out a diagonal tunnel to the surface.

Matticus
2007-06-15, 06:10 PM
Shivering Half-Elf

Attempting to stand, he surveyed the remains of the caravan.
Damnit! There goes my horse. I suppose I should be thankful for still being alive, but most of my stuff was on him...
Staggering upright, he noticed a strange human with feathers sticking out of their head.
Am I hallucinating? A chicken-man? What will these damn humans do next??
What was I thinking, traveling with such company. No good comes of it...Damnit, I'm freezing...
Limping slowly and carefully to avoid any more falling-related pain, he walks a short distance away from all the humans and sits down, desperately trying to keep himself warm.
Now would've be a good time to be traveling with friends, he thinks mournfully. Have I got to be nice to these humans? Urgh.

kuja.girl
2007-06-15, 11:08 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel had instinctively jumped out of the way of the avalanche as it crashed down the mountain. It was only afterwards that she'd realized that by saving herself, she may have condemned her friends. Returning to where she'd last seen them, she spends a few frantic moments looking for some sign of life.

It is with an immense sense of relief that she pulls Katrine out of the snow. With a quick, almost silent, mutual agreement, the two of them start working their way up the mountainside looking for other survivors.

The first they find is an unfamiliar woman. Looking around Tiriel realizes that she doesn't recognize most of the people pulling themselves out of the snow. "They must be members of the caravan." She remarks to Katrine. "I'm worried about Lissa and Ackhby, it'll be harder to locate them and they'll have a hard time getting out on their own without help..." She falls silent as Khazrael's lightning bolt sears the sky, melting the snow between him and the surface.
"Well, then again maybe not. They are both casters of some sort."
Tiriel shrugs and continues her search.

[ooc: I just realized that our new pc's and players will not be familiar with Tiriel's appearance. I'll write more in the ooc thread, but she's a tall blond woman in a tarnished chain shirt. She carries a longsword at her hip and a pack or her sholder... And it's immediately apparent that she's very strong.]

blackfox
2007-06-16, 06:34 AM
Katrin

Katrin trudges through the snow with Tiriel towards the nearest buried voice. "I just hope they don't bring the mountain down on us again while they're doing it..."

Dr._Bob
2007-06-16, 07:45 PM
Damian scans the area, apparently looking through the surface of the snow. Suddenly he drops to his knees scrabbling in the snow. Hands reach up to meet his. He pulls and frees another survivor from the snow, a short man with piercing blue eyes.

A cacophanous sound blast erupts from the snow farther down the slope. Once again, the snow holds, though there is still the risk of a second avalanche. The man with the spiked chain trudges in that direction, and helps to dig out what appears to be a child.

She is unconscious at first, but she is still breathing. Fortunately, he is able to quickly revive her. When the "little girl" opens her mouth, however, the stream of gnomish curses quickly disabuses him of his initial misconception. This gnome is no innocent child.

A heavily armored man walks lightly on the surface of the snow. He moves to the side of the red-haired Rashemi woman. He seems unusually deferential towards her.

More survivors are pulled from the snow, including a ranger (Adalmar) and a halfling (Achkby).

Thargor
2007-06-16, 11:07 PM
Heavily Bound Man

Well I guess that means she is alright. I hope she speaks a language I can understand though. I really want to know what she just said. Even my old man might have been put to shame by that rant! A quick snort left his mouth at the sheer incongruity of this childlike being throwing out rapid fire gibberish, which he could gather was anything but polite. He immediately felt horrible as he remembered where he was and how many fellow travelers must be dead or still buried. Right, back to work.

"Do you speak common?
Can you understand me?
Do you speak elven?"

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-16, 11:13 PM
Desmona Darkwind

"Aye, it is a good thing indeed that others survived. It seems we may have to rely on each other for a while." Her rescuer spoke.

"Right, right," She grumbles. "Desmona Darkwind of Cormyr." She introduces herself, crunching through the snow, gathering with the other survivors.

"Not everyone here was part of the caravan...and where are we, anyways?" She looks around, frowning.

Untrained survival check to determine how far the avalanche took the caravan and how off course they are: [roll0]

Naleh
2007-06-17, 01:02 AM
Buried human

When the world stopped spinning, he took a deep breath, and immediately regretted it.

What is this? he thought to himself, coughing out snow. Everything's white. Everywhere. I'm trapped! There's no air! Help! His thoughts became progressively more panicked.

He scrabbled desperately at the snow, trying to find the way up. "Help! Someone! Help me!" Please!

Darius
2007-06-17, 01:12 AM
Tanner

Since he has gotten no answer from the Rashemi wychlaran, Tanner shrugs and chalks things up to traditional conservative behavior. Not being one to wait in a moment of crisis, Tanner acts! He reaches over his shoulder and visualizes the shovel that is in his Haversack...and nothing happens. It is then that a disturbing thought crosses his mind - his gear is buried somewhere below that mess.

Tanner quickly takes inventory of what he does have. When he is through, Tanner feels a coldness in the pit of his stomach - not from the icy chill of the weather, but from losing probably the two most important pieces of equipment he has...had.

First, the periapt. Tanner had spent over a year to accumulate enough wealth and items in trade to barter the old fakir for that enchanted trinket. This was the sole reason why he left Immilmar in the first place; now, all that time and effort was for naught, he thinks to himelf harshly. I should never have been admiring it, he berates himself. If I would simply had been wearing it like it was intended for, I would not be in this predicament, Tanner scolds himself inwardly. At least I'm alive, Tanner scoffs in his inner monologue, trying to look on the positive side of things, but for how long? he wonders to himself.

The reason for this concern is because he must have lost his enchanted haversack as well. It had all of his adventuring gear, food, extra clothing, bedroll, and his bankroll - what was left of it. Without these often taken for granted necessities, it doesn't take a ranger to tel one that his time is limited.

Even losing his weapons and shield pales to this situation. After a few moments, Tanner shrugs and smiles and says aloud, "Tempered steel is the strongest, and so shall I be, thanks be to Gond. To temper the steel, one needs fire."

Incanting a few words, Tanner opens his hand and a flame the size of a torch appears. When this happens, Tanner channels hs energy to make the splll last all day and night. Using it to melt away with more precise and delicate maneuvers, Tanner does what he can to free the others (he doesn't even bother trying to look for his necklace, weapon, shield, and pack.

Spellcraft DC 17:

Tanner cast produce flame

Matticus
2007-06-17, 03:50 AM
Racist Half-Elf

A voice reaches his ears, and he looks up in surprise.

Was that...Elvish? Smart human...You don't see that every day...

Getting up, he walks towards the man trying to talk to the foul-mouthed Gnome.

You...Speak Elven. And yet you seem to think this young Gnome can't speak Common??

Leaning down to the smaller person, he speaks in a much more respectful voice.

Excuse me, Miss Gnome. My name is Grynde...May I offer my assistance? And please, feel free to swear in Common at these humans. They probably deserve it. In fact, it's probably all their fault that half a mountain fell on us.

Koji
2007-06-17, 04:02 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael wipes at his brow, and smiles at hearing the gnomish curses--he doesn't know the language, but he knows the voice.

He pops out of his crater for a headcount, trying to figure out who--or what--is still missing.

Thargor
2007-06-17, 05:28 AM
Heavily Bound Man

The newcomer's rudeness and speech to the gnome did nothing to improve his outlook on the situation. We all just got carried halfway down a mountain by an avalanche, can't really judge a person right after something like that. Give everyone a few hours to calm down before you start worrying.

"I've spent enough time working for elves that speaking their tongue has become a necessity. As for the rest, a surprising number of beings don't speak common. Names Norgold by the way."

After a moment of internal struggle Norgold convinced himself that politeness really was the best course and extended his hand.

Dr._Bob
2007-06-17, 08:57 AM
Some of the survivors seem more active than others. Perhaps it is the cold or the shock of being buried alive that leaves some of the survivors slow and torpid.

Those who are able fan out searching for more survivors, digging with their bare hands or makeshift shovels. Some poke the snow with poles salvaged from the debris.

The Rashemi woman appears to be dazed at first, ignoring the friendly foreigner's words, but after murmuring to herself, she wanders the snowfield with seeming purpose. Nearing Tiriel and Katrin, she indicates a spot in the snow where she would like to dig. When the three women clear the snow (Tiriel displaying unnatural strength and stamina), they eventually uncover a panicked man buried so deeply that he almost certainly would have died had the Rashemi not sensed that he was there.

The survivors break up into several small groups. In one such group, names and handshakes are exchanged:

Lissa - female gnome, blond, no longer cursing
Tanner - male human, armored and fur-clad, flames burn in his hand
Grynde - male half-elf, irritable and apparently bigoted
Desmona - brown haired, brown eyed woman in breeches and tunic, wearing a breastplate decorated with a feather motif
Norgold - muscular human male, a spiked chain wrapped around his torso

Other survivors wander this way and that. The snowslide seems to have obliterated most easily recognizable landmarks. The Running Rocks still tower over you to the east. Presumably the Huhrong's Road must lie to the north, and from there easy passage to Immilmar.

Phasm
2007-06-17, 11:10 AM
Lissa

Lissa feels the lump on the back of her head gingerly, wincing at the gentle touch. Her glove comes away bloody. She looks up at her rescuer apologetically. "Thank you... sorry for the cursing, but I already had one demon of a headache before I cast that spell. Something hit me in the head during the avalanche. I'm Lissa, by the way." The gnome groans, reaching under her cloak. Yes! It's still here! She comes up with a crudely hammered and engraved silver medallion showing a cloak and dagger.

"I'm sure I've done stupider things than cast sound burst right after a blow to the head, but I can't think when right now. 'Scuse me for a moment, going to do something about the headache." Lissa puts one hand on the medallion, and the other (very lightly) on the goose-egg rapidly rising on her skull. She closes her eyes, recites a short phrase in Celestial, and a faint white light emanates from her hand. The lump vanishes, and Lissa sighs with relief. "Oh gods, that's so much better! Okay, triage time, who's hurt?"

Once it's clear that everyone's alive and out of the snow, Lissa... well, Lissa does what her friends now more or less expect. She launches herself at the nearest friend- Katrin, in this case- clings to her knees, and proceeds to weep and babble in relief. "OhgodsohgodsIthoughtwewerealldeadI'msogladyou'real ive!" Fortunately, the weep 'n babble session is shorter than usual this time. Maybe it's the necessity of making sure nobody's hurt, or maybe it's just the sheer number of life-threatening dramas lately.

OOC: Cast cure minor wounds on self.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-17, 12:58 PM
Desmona

"All right, then," Desmona sighs, looking around at the surrounding mountains. "It looks like we need to head north in order to make it back to the Huhrong's Road."

She looks over at the ragtag group that's gathered with her, especially the gnome girl - who bolted and latched herself onto a woman with green eyes and short black hair.

"So, I take it you know her?" She asks the other woman, a hand resting on her hip, above the spiked chain. "I'm Desmona. We were all just discussing how to get out of here. Huhrong's Road should be to the north." She points. "I figure we gather everyone who survived the avalanche, scavenge as much rations and supplies we can find from the wreckage, and then hike north."

She brushes a few strand of loose brown hair from her eyes. "What really worries me most is the constant exposure to the cold. We could use any spellcasters who can cast that enduring spell...thing."

barawn
2007-06-17, 03:44 PM
Damian

Damian glances over his belongings, and scrounges a few things lying loose in the snow that must've come from his saddlebags. Geh. Probably half of my belongings are probably twenty feet under the snow. And the circlet. Great. I've got no chance to get anywhere on my own now.

Walking over to Lissa, he watches as she heals herself, with slight interest. "Actually, I'm a bit banged up from the avalanche, and could a slight bit of healing. If you don't mind, though, I can do it myself,
with a bit of assistance from you. If that's all right, that is. Well - and if you have any healing prepared."

Extending his hand in greeting, he introduces himself, to Lissa as well as the others. "I'm Damian. It's fortunate that you were traveling nearby. After this... disaster... we could use the company."

Realizing he was a bit aggressive, he shakes his head lightly. "Sorry - that was a bit aggressive. It's just that we seem to be in a bad spot, and I prefer to let people know what I can do so they're not surprised later. A few people have reacted a bit... harshly in the past."

(OOC: see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2756172&postcount=268))

Darius
2007-06-17, 04:34 PM
Tanner Gondsman - armored human

Once everyone that can be found is accounted for, Tanner gathers with the other survivors. He closes the hand that holds the flame so that it does not burn anyone else - it looks as though he is familiar with this practice.

After Desmona introduces herself, Tanner says, "I am called Tanner Gondsman. It is a pleasure to meet you all, thank Gond we survived that ordeal. Creating a fire will not be a problem," he says with a wry smile. "However, I already have used Gond's gift to endure the elements. If any here needs my cloak or other warm clothes, you are welcome to them in the meantime. Besides being able to endure the elements, I think it would be wise to enchant our travels across the snow as I have. I shall be able to enchant each of us survivors here with one of the spells. Unless others of us can do so, I think our first priority is the ability to endure the elements, then we can focus on traversing the snow with no difficulty. Although I am no expert, I can heal those that are wounded and can treat any complications that may arise until then." He looks at the feather-plated female, "I believe Desmona's plan is a sound one; if Desmona does't mind leading, I will follow."

"Unfortunately, I lost much of my equipment, including my shield and weapons," Tanner says as he rummages through the equipment salvaged thus far with his 'good' hand. "This broken pole will do nicely as a club, I suppose," the human says to himself more than anyone else. "The good news is that I haven't lost my wits, nor my faith. I am certain we will get through this if we work..." he then locks his gaze with Grynde when he says his last word, "...together."

Koji
2007-06-17, 04:57 PM
Khazrael

After poking around a bit longer, Khazrael speaks up.

"How about we get the hells out of here? I don't want to get buried again."

Naleh
2007-06-18, 12:41 AM
Rather snowy human

After being dug out by the three women, the man lies on the surface of the snow, panting despite the cold. He is about six-and-a-half feet tall, although covered in snow and heavy furs he looks even bigger. He has black hair and the rough, tanned face of a plains barbarian.

Rescued by women... he thinks, ashamed.

After rummaging in the hole to retreive a large, well-made, two-handed axe, he wanders over to join the largest group. "Is, uh, is this everyone? He looked around. "I suppose we should leave while we can, but if there's anyone still in there...

"I'm Retay, by the way." He doesn't seem especially proud of the fact.

Matticus
2007-06-18, 01:16 AM
Grynde

He shifts his weight a little awkwardly from foot to foot, swaying slightly as Tanner is speaking.

Gah. Maybe I should be nice to these humans...For my own safety. Never a good idea to get on the bad side of a large group...

With some difficulty, he attempts an apology.

I'm...er...Sorry. I...Will try to be...nicer...To you all...

Annoyed at having to do that, he looks away, again to the snow, embarassed, and this time, a little ashamed. Sitting down, he draws one of the shortswords across his back and begins hacking and stabbing the cold ground.

Thargor
2007-06-18, 03:16 AM
Norgold

Norgold smiles appreciatively as he notices Desmona's choice of armaments. She sounds intelligent, and she was willing to step up. That'll be enough for now. Nodding slowly as Tanner speaks, he lets a moment of silence pass waiting to see if the half-elf has anything more to add before voicing his thoughts.

My name's Norgold. I agree with Tanner, if Desmona can lead us out of here I will gladly follow. Lets get moving though, before we lose any more daylight. Oh, and there's a heavy blanket still in my pack if anyone is in need of extra warmth.

Follwing his own advice he begins searching the area for anything that could be useful, starting from the wreck of the wagon he had initially been trapped in.

[roll0]

Koji
2007-06-18, 03:48 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael munches on a bit of snow and casually eyes the women from the caravan group.

Let me guess...more clerics and cold fish?

The clatter of silver bangles signals Khazrael's approach--he dusts his hands off as he moves to rejoin Tiriel's group, casting a nod to Desmona.

"I'm all for our group going with yours. We were thrown off track and we're still trying to get our bearings. If you don't mind me asking, what in Gehenna's blackest pit are you guys doing out here?"

elliott20
2007-06-18, 08:41 AM
Olfacht

Olfacht pulls himself up and dusts off the snow on his body as he says quietly:

I'm Olfacht of... You know, I must admit, I'm not sure which township I'm claiming lineage from today... So... no chance that we'll be digging up the rest of the caravan, huh? I have some materials that I would like to recover. It's hard extracting the essence scent of steel, you know.

His clothes now smell damp and slightly moldy. This is not a pleasant smell. It reminds him of the time he slept under a bridge and when the water level rised during the night. What an uncomfortable night that was.

Diarmuid
2007-06-18, 08:52 AM
Rashemi Woman

sorry for lack of updates, weekends are busy for me

Moving awkwardly over the snow in a trance, the red-haired woman first pointed out the living people buried deep in the snow, and then began identifying those who had not survived the avalanche. A soft whispered prayer in her native tongue went up when each was exhumed from their frosty tomb.

"The spirit is no longer with the body, but the spirit endures and will be reborn."

At last she sees no more bodies buried and turns her attentions to those most grievously wounded.

Hoping to be better understood, she remarks in accented common,

"Please. Everyone come close. I will remove your weariness and chase the cold from your bones."

Waiting for everyone to gather, assisting those who might need help, she once again chants in a melodic voice and makes arcane gestures in the air:

Spellcraft DC 18

The woman casts a Refreshment Spell.

Everyone within 20' of the woman feels instantly refreshed.

All creatures within a 20’ radius Burst of the caster are healed of all non-lethal damage, including damage cause by starvation, thirst,
environmental conditions, etc.

Finding the foreigner who addressed her earlier, she bows politely before him,

"I apologize for my rudeness. My concern for the wounded was great, I did not mean to cause any offense. My name is Tryntha and I am healer of the Rashemi."

barawn
2007-06-18, 08:56 AM
Damian

Turning to Khazrael, the relatively tall, lithe dark-clad human chuckles slightly. "Heading to Immilmar from Taporan. That's what we started out doing, that is. Recently all it seems we were doing is running from avalanches. Seems our luck finally ran out."

His shoulders sag as he looks around at the rest of the group with a touch of despair. This was not going well.

Phasm
2007-06-18, 11:05 AM
Lissa

Unlatching herself from Katrin's legs, Lissa looks up at Damian, a bit puzzled. "Healing spells actually prepared? Well, no. I generally don't bother with that. I prepare other things that might be useful and convert them to healing spells as needed." She tilts her head at him curiously. "Why? I don't mind healing you, or anyone else who's hurt."

Upon hearing Tryntha, Lissa willingly walks over toward the Rashemi woman. She isn't too cold, thanks to her endure elements spell, but she's curious. Curiosity is rewarded with a burst of warmth and energy. Lissa blinks, smiling. "Wow, that's some spell!"

Lissa introduces herself all around, in case anyone didn't hear earlier. "Nice to meet you, everyone." She turns to Tryntha with a warm smile. "And I'm especially glad to see you! I'm not a terribly powerful priestess, magically speaking, and it'll be nice to have somebody who actually specializes in healing. My god likes his servants to... hmm... have a variety of skills." Lissa's studded leather armor, light crossbow and rapier provide a few clues as to what those 'skills' might be. She looks over to Tanner, shrugging helplessly. "I'd be happy to lend you my rapier if we were more of a size, but I think the hilt is a bit small for those big hands of yours." Indeed, Lissa's rapier is a fine and well-balanced weapon- but it's a weapon sized for a gnome.

barawn
2007-06-18, 11:38 AM
Damian

The brief look of despair changes to a flash of despondency, as he reaches up and awkwardly scratches the back of his neck. "No, of course, I wasn't suggesting any problem. I just..." He lets off a small huff of frustration as he glances over at the scattered remnants of the caravan.

"I just tend to prefer to do things myself. Sorry. I'm usually pretty self-sufficient, so this whole situation - you know, the 'imminent death' part - is putting me a little out of sorts. Plus..."

He reaches down and picks up a dark leather backpack, slinging it over his shoulder with an audible grunt. His eyes dart around to the myriad spellcasters present with a bit of trepidation, and looks back at Lissa, his voice slightly hushed. "Some of those who can manipulate the Weave have been a little... tense around me, so I try not to inconvenience them much. I don't really know how to explain it, as I don't really know how I do it - I can borrow the power you have prepared and cast it myself. Well - okay, borrow isn't the right word. Take is."

He chuckles slightly, looking down at the gnome with a slightly bemused look. "To be honest, with this many wielders of magic around, I'd normally be content to go my own way, or keep things hidden entirely. But I don't think I have that choice this time. I just hope that what I am doesn't bother anyone. It has been useful, at times. Plus - well - it's just who I am."

After Lissa's response (if any), he turns to the others and straightens himself slightly, his demeanor losing much of the trepidation and worry it just had. "Does anyone know how far we have left until Immilmar?"

Darius
2007-06-18, 12:09 PM
Tanner Gondsman - Armored Human

Listening to Grynde's apology, Tanner smiles and says to him, "No need to apologize, friend, but the sentiment is noted. I have learned that one will be treated as one treats others. It is good to have you a part of this, for I believe that your skills will be needed if we are to survive this test."

When Tryntha communes with the land, Tanner stops what he is doing and watches closely. He has seen the Wychlaran before, but never has he viewed the rites and rituals they cast. When she is complete, he says, "My thanks." Seeing to the live and then to the dead, Tanner helps collect the gear that is remaining. He first works near Damian so he may speak with him, "I have a couple of healing spells called lesser vigor prepared. It boosts your natural healing ability over a short amount of time. I could cast them upon you, if you need them, but alas, I am a bit hesitant to give up such things to those whom I have not journeyed with for some time. I have learned through business that it is good to be trusting, but it is wise to be sure not to be completely trusting with new acquaintances. I hope you understand."

As conversation continues and draws to the personal business each had will travel to Immilmar, Tanner responds, "I had made a purchase in Heliogabalus in Damara. However, it appears that Silvanus was not happy with my choice and wanted it back, for all of my wares are buried under this snow. I now reside in Immilmar; I am - was - a fur trader and leatherworker. It appears as though I will need to start afresh."

When Lissa offers her sword, Tanner replies to her, "Thank you for the offer, but this club will do..." Tanner opens his hand again, revealing the flame still there, "...and so will this." Tanner closes it again, snuffing out the flame for the moment. "Besides, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use such a fine blade. I prefer to be blunt when it comes to any sort of conflict," Tanner says with a smile at his double entendre.

As Tryntha approaches he includes her in the conversation with Lissa."It appears that our skills will be needed to help protect all here. As for this other group, my connection with Gond is strong, but not strong enough to reach everyone. How many can you help?"

Then when she speaks to him in her native language, he returns in kind, still with an outlander's accent, "A pleasure to meet you, Tryntha. No offense taken, for I understand. I have heard tales of the sisters but now I know them to be true. I think our survival will depend on your connection with the land. Of the Wychlaran I have had business dealings with before, they were always accompanied by another - usually a large warrior like Retay. Were you accompanied by one such as he?"

Diarmuid
2007-06-18, 01:30 PM
Tryntha Rashemi Cleric

Lamenting the feeling of loss whenever the channeling of mystic energies subsides, Tryntha is elated to see the color and liveliness return to those effected by her spell. As she sees others discussing equipment and armaments, she realises she should check her own posessions.

As her hand moves to her hair, she caresses a thin silver chain braided into her hair and moves her fingers delicately along it until she touches the oval topaz that hangs slightly above her hairline. With a content sigh, she pulled unbuckled the travel pack that had been strapped over her shoulders and around her waist and began shuffling through it for her supplies. Opening the case tied to the side of the pack, she checked the two shortspears carried within for damage.

Her eyes go wide as Tanner mentions the word "Wychlaran". When he is finished, she is quick to correct him in hushed tones,

"Please, I am not worthy of being called that. I have not yet finished my trials of the sisterhood. As such, I have no escort like you describe. That is how I found myself among those with the caravan. I will do everything I can to help all of these people find their way."

Bowing slightly to Tanner, she moves to talk to Desmona.

"I heard you talk of Huhrong's Road and moving north. I am familiar with these lands and should be able to help guide you to the nearest town. I also have the ability to conjure sustenance, though I dont know if I could feed all who are here. We should be able to supplement our stores with things from the land, and we should have no shortage of water with the snow. Please, let me know if there is anything I can to assist you."

Moving through the gathered people she will see who is the most injured and offer healing spells. If she can identify any one who appears to be handling the cold worse than others she will administer her Endure Elements spell.

[roll0] To help scavenge and traverse the difficult terrain.

If Tryntha is aware of the distance to Immilmar, she will offer this information also

Dr._Bob
2007-06-18, 03:15 PM
Tiriel and Katrin listen with interest as the Rashemi woman speaks. Although they don't understand her dialect, they are able to figure out that she is familiar with the wychlaren. Unlike the masked hathran in Telflamm who was escorted by a retinue of Rashemi berserkers, this Rashemi spellcaster is apprently traveling alone. Katrin checks her pack and verifies that the porcelain mask she carries is still intact ...

Adalmar introduces himself to the other avalanche survivors and helps Tryntha estimate that the Huhrong's road must be about two days away on foot.

A distant rumbling from the mountain peaks reminds everyone that there may not be enough time to salvage much from the caravan. The dozens of other people and animals will have to lay buried in the snow. There just isn't enough time or manpower to dig them out by yourselves.

The score or so survivors slowly begin to trudge northward, carrying what they can on their backs on in their hands. The various spells help to heal any bruises or minor fractures incurred by the avalanche.

It is hard to remember everyone's names at first, of course, but everyone is at least united in a shared goal for now - survival.

The group spreads out into a thin line, each of you walking in the footsteps of the survivor ahead. You march through the day, eventually leaving the mountains behind you. As the sun begins to dip towards the horizon, however, you start to wonder how you are going to survive a night out in the open ...

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-18, 03:52 PM
Desmona Darkwind

She was certainly pleased with how she managed to bring everyone together. But that wasn't what leadership was really about and she understood that. She needed to make sure that everyone was willing to use their full potential to ensure the survival of everyone still alive.

"All right, after everyone's gotten whatever they can find, we move out. I want us all to follow Miss...Tryntha, right? Miss Tryntha and Mr...you," she points at Retay. "You look like a competent wildsman. Both of you need to lead the way so we get out of here and to a civilized place, okay? Then and only then should we go our seperate ways. We stay together, we survive."

"Any clerics or Weave-users with healing and protective spells should keep them ready. Don't wait for someone to drop from exposure, pump them chock full of magical goodness at the first signs. I want any meleeists to protect those with little protection, especially spellcasters. I'll be with you on that position, two lines of warriors on either side of the spellcasting column."

"We'll move out in ten minutes, so get what you can salvage and get into Position."

With all that said, she took on the task of scaveging for useful bits of the caravan.

Search check: [roll0]

Ooc: How I imagined the marching party will look:

Des Dam (fighters and low spellcasters)
Ret Tri (Lissa, Ackhby, other low HP low armor spellcasters)
Nor Tan (clerics and other better battlers)

HempRope
2007-06-18, 03:57 PM
Wow, I'm busy... I apologize for not posting more.

Achkby makes his way across the snow to his friends, and stands shivering among them. He says little, apparently paralyzed by the combined cold and shock of waking up beneath many feet of snow. After the Rashemi's spell, however, he seems far more happy.

"I'm Achkby," he says finally, by way of introduction, "And from far south of here, if you hadn't noticed," he adds, referring to the thick cloth wrapped about his small flame.

"We're trying to make our way to Rasheman, but we got lost on the way. We lost many comrades too, so it's good to meet some friendly souls. Your unluck may have been our salvation, and we'd be grateful for your help getting there," he says a bit stiffly. He's clearly on his best manners, though why such formality so suddenly isn't as readily apparent.

Koji
2007-06-18, 04:08 PM
Khazrael

Throughout the trip, Khazrael retains a gregarious attitude despite the cold, and does his best to get to know his new companions as they march along.

"So have any of you heard anything about the armies pressing in from the west? Er, I think it's the west--I don't have the best head for directions. They were tearing around the Great Dale pretty much unchecked. I don't know if they plan on coming this far east, but it was something to see. I can't tell you how many times they almost caught me."

Phasm
2007-06-18, 04:45 PM
Lissa

Lissa smiles wryly, adjusting one of the straps on her pack. Thank you, Baravar, for not letting me lose my haversack! Or my crossbow. "Yeah, I used to be a loner as well." A pained, distant look comes over her face for a moment. "It's... safer, in many ways." You can't betray yourself, after all. She shrugs. "The threat we face is too big for any one person to face alone, though. And no, I haven't got a problem with your ability, just so long as you ask before using it on me. Talk to the mages about it, but I don't think Achkby or Khazrael will have a problem as long as you ask first." The gnome gives Damian a sly grin. "If you try it on Khazrael without asking, you just might get fried for your pains. He does like his lightning bolts."

As the sun starts going down with no shelter in sight, Lissa begins to look worried. My endure elements should last until morning, but what about everyone else? I only prepared the one for myself, the rest are spells for battle! A memory surfaces, of snowball fights when she was a child. Gnomish snowball fights never just have snowballs; part of the fun is creating elaborate snow fortresses and improvising snowball-throwing devices. Lissa picks up a handful of snow and squeezes it experimentally, trying to see if it will pack. "We used to make snow fortresses for snowball fights when I was a youngster... I wonder if there's a way to make a sort of house or hut out of packed snow?"

barawn
2007-06-18, 04:58 PM
Damian

Damian smirked at Lissa's response. "Thanks for the advice. Seems your little band is a bit more cohesive than ours. Not that I ever expected to be in a struggle for my life with this group."

As the group moved out, Damian quickly settled in near the front, where he seemed perfectly comfortable. His eyes kept scanning the distance, however, looking for shadows, trees, cover of any general sort. After a time, however, the chill of dusk began to set in, and the load he carried slowly wore him down. He was definitely going to need to find a better way to carry things. But for now, night was a more pressing concern. Which was too bad - physical threats he could respond to. It's much harder to fight nature itself.

"Well, we're going to need shelter and heat of some sort, very quickly. Could we really make up a housing for 16 in that short time?"

Grumbling to himself, he thinks of the meager possessions he has, and hopes fervently someone else has a good idea.

(OOC: 16, by my count. Adalmar, Damian, Desmona, Tryntha, Tanner, Olfacht, Norgold, Grynde, Retay, Ulmarek, Katrin, Khazrael, Achkby, Lissa, Katrin, Tiriel.)

elliott20
2007-06-18, 05:35 PM
Olfacht

This development does not please him. Not the slightest. He's just lost his packmule, 90% of his possessions, and many of these people around him could really use a good rosebud bath. Still, in the interest of survival, he'll need these people. After all, he doesn't know the way around.

He steps up to one of the closest companions that seems a little cold and says, "here, allow me" as a bit of magical energy ebbs from his fingers and fills the person with heat. He does this until all of his magical energy is spent.

OOC: Olfacht will use all of his first level slots to cast "endure elements" upon the less hardy party members. (totaling around 6 castings) If that doesn't seem enough, he'll burn up a couple second level slots to make ends meet.

SoulCatcher78
2007-06-18, 06:28 PM
Shaggy Half Elf

The voices penetrate the dull ache that his world has become. Opening his eyes, he can make out the group of other forms, waiting for his vision to become more stable and stop showing him double images. Pushing himself up on his elbows and then onto his knees, he brushes himself off and takes stock of the situation.
Snow. Check!
No pack animals. Check!
Little or no shelter. Check!
No weapons. Check! Almost forgot the spare dagger in the boot and the longsword at his belt, so all is not lost.

All in all it looks like a fine mess. At least it wasn't raining.

Dusting himself off, he approaches the group of his fellow travellers.

"Well met!" he says rubbing the side of his head, "Ulmarek Wolfson, pleased to make your aquaintence. Has anyone seen the pack horses? We might have to do some digging but do we want to go to much further without our gear in this weather?"

OOC-Sorry to be a bit late to the table. Seems like we have quite the group.

Matticus
2007-06-18, 11:50 PM
Grynde, Half-Elf

Tonight is going to be...Difficult...To say the least.

Eager to get on the good side of the other adventurers, and very hungry, he addresses the group.

"Does anyone have any food? If nobody has much, I suppose we can hunt. Er....How about...You - " He looks to the other Half-Elf - "And you - " looking at Retay, - "Come with me? Unless of course neither of you can hunt at all. Just a suggestion..."

Looking around him at the desolate, snowy ground and narrow paths, he reconsiders his suggestion.

Then again, I don't think there's an awful lot of life around here, except us...Fools we are, for traveling in these conditions...

(OOC: Just how the *loud beep* does Overwrite turn itself on!?!?! Gah!!)

Naleh
2007-06-19, 01:02 AM
Retay, human barbarian

The fur-clad barbarian seems reluctant to leave the site, occassionally voicing his fears for any others still buried, but the mountain's rumbling frightens Retay. The ground shouldn't make noise. Well, the ground shouldn't fall on you either. As the group moves out, Retay remains near the head as instructed. For an obviously powerful barbarian, he doesn't seem very confident in himself.

On the other hand, when the elf-blooded man suggests a hunting trip, Retay quickly comes forward, unslinging his shortbow. "I'm good at hunting," he says proudly, as if it's the greatest skill anyone could have. Considering the conditions, perhaps it is. "If there's anything out there to hunt, I'll find it."

Thargor
2007-06-19, 01:39 AM
Norgold, Human Fighter

I've trained my entire life to defend others from attack not the elements, whole lot of good that makes me. There must be something I can do. Other than being a decent pack mule Norgold felt helpless, living in towns and cities most of his life had never prepared him for the current situation. A few nights on the road escorting wagons was one thing but this...

"I still have a little bit of food in my pack. Its not enough for all of us to have a full meal but it'll help keep us warm through the night."

and now for the bit that really turns the stomach...

"We need to make sure any and all spell casters are well rested, if they can ready the proper spells things could be a lot better tomorrow. I lack hunting skills but firewood I can handle. Retay... before you go if I could... borrow your axe. It's a tad big for chopping wood but it looks like the best we've got."

He looks to Desmona, waiting for her approval.

(OOC: looked back and couldn't tell if we are above or below tree line. Will edit if Norgold is off to chop imaginary trees)

Naleh
2007-06-19, 03:56 AM
Retay looked blankly at his favoured greataxe, then at Norgold. "A little big?" He laughed, pulled his fur cloak aside, and slipped a smaller – but still very large for woodcutting – battleaxe from his belt. "Try this," he said, passing it to Norgold. "I want it back, though, please."

Realising they would have to share to survive, he added, "I've got plenty of food in my pack. Would've lasted me sixty days on my own, without hunting. There are a lot of us, so it wouldn't last near that long, but we have other food. We shouldn't starve too soon."

((OOC: I intended to mention my other equipment earlier, but I never did... Never mind.))

Koji
2007-06-19, 05:46 AM
Khazrael

He breathes a sigh of relief at the mention of food. He has evidenced a startling drop in his already low weight since the vampire attack, and the thin supplies his group had weren't helping.

He fiddles with his hair or tries to look like he's helping as the group settles down and starts setting up camp. His magical talents have always made life on the road easy for him, and the finer points of outdoor survival still largely escape him.

As he lays out the meager rags he plans to sleep on, he sings a tune in Abyssal. The melody is dark and discordant, and details the treacherous beauty of Malcanthet. From time to time he stares at the sky and longs to fly again.

SoulCatcher78
2007-06-19, 07:34 AM
"Hunting sounds like a good plan if we can find any tracks after this avalanche" Ulmarek takes stock of surroundings "but if we're to survive the night without tents, perhaps it would be wiser to build ourselves caverns of snow so that we aren't sleeping in the wind?" The last thing he wants to do is cover himself in more snow today but if it'll keep him alive until sunrise, then that's the plan. If there are enough of the others willing to set up the camp, he will be happy to offer his skills as a tracker (low light vision) and it might get him a chance to check out that bizarre lighting strike/source that caused this calamity.

elliott20
2007-06-19, 09:03 AM
Olfacht

Well, I do have enough raw magical energy that I can use to create some kind of temperature shield for us. I think if you allow me to, I can make sure I shield everyone here for the next 24 hours.

barawn
2007-06-19, 09:04 AM
Damian

As Damian watches the others consider heading off for food, he raises his voice slightly. "Before we consider food, I think a place to stay for the evening might be more of a priority. Surviving in the wilderness isn't my strong suit. Is anyone else skilled in that area? Any ideas for a place to stop?"

Damian scans the horizon for a clearing, or any open area nearby, with a grim look on his face. Not his strong suit? That's an understatement.

[roll0]

As Khazrael raises his lament in the crowds behind him, the odd language catches his ears. He waits for a pause in the haunting song, and falls back for a moment. "That's... very interesting. What was that?"

kuja.girl
2007-06-19, 09:09 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel stays close to Katrine as the, now large, group moves on. At the mention of hunting and tree chopping she can't help but laugh to herself a little. Aren't we above the tree line? There's not likely to be much wood here and even less to hunt...

As they walk Tiriel watches those in front of her. Eventually she notices that the human* that Lissa is talking to seems to be having a hard time carrying his load (which doesn't look too heavy at all). After a few moments of consideration Tiriel approaches the two and addresses Damian, "It looks like you're a bit ...over packed. I can carry some of your gear for you, if you'd like that is." Tiriel keeps her eyes on the path ahead as she speaks, worried that another avalanche could come crashing down the mountain side.
-----
Tiriel also politely refused any prior offers of "magical" help to deal with the cold.

[ooc: *is Damian human? I couldn't find the answer quickly and I'm a bit pressed for time. Please let me know.]

Diarmuid
2007-06-19, 09:14 AM
Tryntha Rashemi Cleric

Seeing Retay's reluctance to leave the site of the avalanche, Tryntha moves close to him and offers a bit of reassurance,

"The land has called some of their spirits back to its service. They are not lost, they are merely answering a different call now. I have used my magic to make sure we have found everyone still within this world. Take heart, as I am sure we will need your strength in the coming days."

The fiery-haired native merely nodded to Desmona when asked to lead the group towards the road, and in the direction of Immilmar. She worked to lead them through the easiest paths through the snow, so as to not tax the energy she knew they would desperately need during the evening.

As the light began to fade, and talk started of resting and finding food and shelter Tryntha looked for an appropriate site that could provide some kind of wind break.

[roll0]

"I should be able to conjure sustenance for all of us each day if given appropriate time to rest and replenish my energies each day. It is not the most pleasant of food, but most would agree that the alternative is less than ideal. As for our other needs, we definately will need to find something to burn for warmth through the night. That could be a most difficult task what with the snow. If we had some form of shelter that would help retain the warmth also."

Her voice makes all of these things seem like possiblities as she tries to keep a positive attitude among the survivors. Her smile is genuine and used often, accompanied by a reassuring touch when necessary to keep spirits high.

barawn
2007-06-19, 02:00 PM
Damian (who is human)

As Tiriel offers to help carry things, a look of relief rapidly appears on Damian's face, and he chuckles heartily - which appears strange, given his periodically stoic demeanor. "Normally, I'd say 'no, I'm fine' - but the truth is, I'm really not - and to be perfectly honest, there's not that much of value in there. I very much appreciate the offer. There's a reason I buy a horse whenever I travel."

Slipping his backpack off his shoulder, he rustles through it, and pulls out a pair of scrolls and an additional bundle of crossbow bolts. The new items quickly disappear under his cloak, and Damian hands the backpack to Tiriel.

blackfox
2007-06-19, 02:41 PM
Katrin

Katrin trudges along beside Tiriel, watching the people from the caravan intently and with no small amount of suspicion. She turns down offers of magical help, telling the casters to save their magic for those who need it more. She checks her pack to see how much food she has left for the road--enough to last her a week at least. However, she has very little in the way of wilderness survival skills, and scowls at the run of bad luck she and her friends had been having recently.

Koji
2007-06-19, 04:47 PM
Khazrael

He smirks at Damian, perhaps unaware that he had been singing at all.

"It's a song about a demon queen. I used to read a lot about the planes."

barawn
2007-06-19, 05:05 PM
Damian

"Demon queen? So I'm guessing it was... Abyssal? That's what it's called, right? Bizarre-sounding language. I stick mainly to languages of the people I've met - except for the one dabble in Draconic. Where'd you learn it?"

Damian drifts back a bit to Khazrael and extends his hand. "Sorry, I don't know if I introduced myself. Damian. You're the one who blew up the snow, right? I think Lissa said your name was... Khazrael?"

He glances around at the desolate landscape, and the others as they try to figure out what to do for the evening. "I don't suppose you've got any clever ideas about shelter."

Koji
2007-06-19, 06:20 PM
Khazrael

"Yeah, it was abyssal. I guess I'm kind of a language buff. I seem to have an easy time picking them up. And yeah, Khazrael's my name, and that was my lightning bolt."

He frowns at the question.

"I've, uh, got magic, so I never really have to worry about it all that much. I mean, I know you guys need to protect yourselves, but I'm just not that good at the whole outdoors thing."

SoulCatcher78
2007-06-19, 07:32 PM
Ulmarek

Survival check [roll0] wow, that was rather sad for a ranger.

"While I haven't ever done it before, the theory of building a temporary shelter out of snow doesn't seem that far fetched. If nothing else it will keep the wind and any falling snow off of us while we use our body heat to keep warm and survive the night. Doesn't sound very comfortable but I'd rather be inconvenienced than frozen solid." If there's anything salvageable from the caravan that might make it easier to build a shelter, Ulmarek will point it out (canvas covers from the wagons, dead horses...sorry if your attatched to them but they can provide a quick wall to a shelter...not to mention a supply of meat if we get hungry enough). "Since it appears that the caravan master met a bad end, should we suggest a leader to make the decisions to get us through till morning?"

barawn
2007-06-19, 08:21 PM
Damian

At Khazrael's dismissal of the relatively dire situation, Damian chuckles and smiles. "True. Sometimes I envy those who can use the Weave well. I probably had some spells which would have me less worried, but it's back there buried under several hundred tons of snow now. With my horse keeping it company. I don't relish the thought of sleeping under a dome of ice. Not after our recent experience."

kuja.girl
2007-06-19, 10:12 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel takes Damian's backpack and slips it over her shoulder to join with her own pack.
"Just tell me when you need it. We had horses too, a while back." She tells Damian. "We really shouldn't push our luck out her in the open. Our best bet might be to find a cave or at least a ledge, we can shelter under. I never thought I'd say this, she says glancing at Katrine and Lissa, "But Callos' silly rope spell would have been handy to have here and now."

Darius
2007-06-19, 10:34 PM
Tanner Gondsman - Armored Human

As the group walks, Tanner opens his hand, and the flame appears. He says to the others, "If you feel the need to warm yourself by Gond's Light, please speak up, and I shall move to you. As for food, do not worry about me, for I will be fine. I also do not need much if any sleep. As for warmth and shelter, I have an idea. I could summon a wall of fire around our group. Do not approach within twenty feet of the flames, for then they will start to burn you. I can keep this wall up for the entire night if necessary; however I have never tried, for it requires some concentration to do so. Because of this, our group will be protected in more ways than one, for any creature that passes through the fire wall will certainly get burned; plus, it will provide us with warmth through the night. We should have a contingency plan, however, in the event that I lose my concentration. The other thing that worries me is such a circle of heat may cause a similar event to what we just experienced. If someone more learned of the ways of nature could help find a place for the spell to allow for a camp to reduce catastrophe, it may increase our odds."