PDA

View Full Version : The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

King_of_GRiffins
2007-09-23, 11:10 AM
Elthan

Elthan had re-entered the dining hall several minutes before, taking little note of the new arrival and taking a seat to himself just slightly distant of the others. His distance is not so much out out of the current ill feelings his friends still harbored, but a desire to take a bit of time to observe any habits his new bird might have. Patiently, Elthan broke up bits of bread and fed it to the caged raven one at a time.

The raven tilts its head curiously as Damian comes to question Elthan, Elthan himself setting down the bread and turning in his chair slightly to address Damian. He takes a deep breath and explains, "If you're going to continue to help us, I might as well say. I killed one of our group in order to progress my research at the worst possible moment. I think it's not so much having killed him that has bothered them all, but how incredibly stupid it was of me to carry it out. I wasn't feeling entirely like myself then, and honestly, I still do not.

"Let preference be, is a motto of sorts. You're opinion is left to you, whether it is the same as theirs or not. I don't want you to distrust me either, but all I can say is that I would not go through with such again."

Naleh
2007-09-23, 03:08 PM
Retay

The barbarian picks at his fingernails a little, and then quietly pulls his greataxe from its sheathe on his back and begins examining the blade for damage. He keeps an eye on Callos the whole time.

At Elthan's words, Retay starts, and turns from his watch to stare at the sorcerer. It isn't a hostile stare, though; it seems almost... compassionate.

OOC: If you're wondering, translate it into barbarian concepts. It sounded to Retay like Elthan 'raged' and accidentally killed someone, and is now being excommunicated from his 'tribe'.

Erikkin
2007-09-23, 03:54 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn spends most of the time up in his room. He makes a brief appearance at supper to grab some food. He doesn't talk to anyone after the dragon encounter was finished. Instead, he seems to be deep in thought.

barawn
2007-09-23, 06:14 PM
Damian

A bit of confusion shows on Damian's face when Elthan describes what he did. "What do you mean 'research'? The only research I can imagine which involves killing someone would be necromancy, and you don't seem to be one. What exactly are you?" With that querying glance, his eyes flash blue for a moment, and then settle back down to a blue-tinged grey, as he glances over Elthan.

Yeah, a waste, because it's not like he can see if Elthan's a spellcaster, but it's late in the day anyway, and what else is he going to use it for? Detect Magic, second time/day (1 remaining). Presumedly Elthan's got a fair number of magical items on him, anyway.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-09-23, 11:10 PM
Elthan

Elthan lowers his eyes to Damians', glaring at him out the top with a patient scowl, missing the slight change in his eyes. "I am a necromancer. Maybe not as studied as Callos, but I do my best to stay up to date with my reading material. I haven't had much luck with books as of late though. And no, I did not kill him for any kind of research, only to be able to proceed with research. As I mentioned, it was a poor action on my part."

Your vision picks up what it might have expected; A few items radiating aura's on his person, of no surprise the ring included. What is strange is that the half-elf himself does not seem to exist according to your Detect Magic. While there might usually be some indication of a persons connection to the weave with the spell, Elthan has none.

Elthan has not been the luckiest half-elf in faerun, and only has a few items. His ring most likely registers Faint Illusion, and his cape Moderate Conjuration. He has a scroll in his pocket, but I don't think those are detectable...

Callos_DeTerran
2007-09-23, 11:52 PM
Callos

"Not all of us hate him by the way." Callos said heavily as overheard snippets of the conversation and moved his chair over closer towards the duo, pointedly ignoring the wary look that was making his shoulder blades itch like an ant farm had been emptied unto them. With a sigh he started to speak again..."I can understand the motives behind what he did back then but he did do it a very tricky time and it was a highly reckless act. This of course is aside from the fact that he broke an oath to me that he'd tell before doing anything like it."

Ahh...I wonder if I can really take Elthan at his word anymore...he didn't exactly seem to hesitate before killing Evendur and didn't so much as drop a hint that he was a Shar-worshiper...

Koji
2007-09-24, 12:07 AM
Khazrael

In no particular hurry to do anything productive, Khazrael spends the evening cooling his heels and enjoying more of the excellent Rashemi wine. Inwardly, he curses not having found a familiar or any tobacco, but resolves to let the matter slide for now.

Darius
2007-09-24, 09:50 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner continues to clean up the common room. He watches his friend Adalmar with a smile on his face. He sighs and shakes his head as the ranger blunders through his introduction like a bull in a ceramics shop. "Ahh, well," Tanner thinks to himself, "at least I tried."

When done cleaning, Tanner loudly says to himself sarcastically, "There. Finished. It certainly went quickly with all the help." Tanner then will join Adalmar and Gala and make more small talk - emphasizing Adalmar's skills with the bow and his bravery in the face of the enemy.

kuja.girl
2007-09-24, 11:35 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel wanders back into the keep (??) late in the afternoon. Spending time outdoors had helped dispel most of her foul mood but she's still not having one of her better days (for obvious reasons). She too spends most of her time in her room repacking supplies, caring for her armor and weapons and wondering what the coming audience with the Iron Lord will likely entail.

(ooc: I started writing a post on Saturday and closed my browser w/o posting it. Whoops.)

barawn
2007-09-24, 03:30 PM
Damian

Damian grins a bit as Elthan asserts himself fervently, chuckling slightly. "Don't take offense, Elthan. I just figured you weren't a necromancer because you weren't as depressing - or moody, for that matter - as Callos was. Apparently, that's just his personality. The grin vanishes in a moment as he continues. "But I think you're still avoiding the question slightly. Trust, for me, is not a question of what you have done. I don't particularly care what you have done. It's what you will do that matters. And for that, I need to know why you've done things. That's the reason I don't trust Grynde in the least. I'm not sure it's possible to know why he does what he does."

The amicable tone in his voice vanishes when talking about Grynde, and for a moment, his body language is cold, emotionless. Someone who thinks only in terms of risk assessment, contingency plans, and escape options - and not about the morality involved with any of them. It quickly disappears when he turns his question back to Elthan.

"I don't doubt you won't make the same mistake twice. It's what new mistakes you'll make that concern me. That's why I was asking why you killed him."

blackfox
2007-09-24, 08:26 PM
Anika

Anika sits in the dining hall, waiting for the summons of the Iron Lord, spinning her dagger and thinking. She listens carefully to the conversation between Elthan and Damian.

Dr._Bob
2007-09-25, 11:39 AM
After waiting for what seems like hours, you are finally summoned back to the audience chamber. The doors are closed and loud voices can be heard arguing behind them.

A retainer knocks on the large double oak doors, then retreats.

The doors swing open silently, revealing a trio of generals standing before the Iron Lord. The enormous chamber is otherwise empty.

The generals bow and withdraw through one of the side doors.

The Iron Lord stands before his throne, alone. He looks at you for a moment, as though weighing something in his mind.

"Those who do not fear death, come forward," he gestures you into the hall. His voice is softer and more informal than you remember.

kuja.girl
2007-09-25, 12:09 PM
Tiriel

With a quick look at her companions, Tiriel shrugs and steps forward. After all the things she'd seen, done, and survived over the past few months, fear of death never stopped her from moving forward. She's not about to let it start holding her back now.

Darius
2007-09-25, 12:27 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Without a moment's hesitation, Tanner strides confidently into the hall and will stop in front of the Iron Lord. Tanner's strength of purpose comes from the confidence in knowing that death will only bring Tanner closer to Gond. He has dreamt of the Golden Hills - where Gond watches over his followers. Tanner knows that a room awaits him in the Gond's House of Knowledge. Protected by his faith, Tanner's heart and emotions remain calm.

Once before the throne, Tanner bows his head to the Iron Lord to show respect. He then stands at attention with his body open and turned so others can join him in a semi circle. This position also allows Tanner to see the reactions of the others.

Diarmuid
2007-09-25, 12:45 PM
Tryntha

The Rashemi woman steps into the room without pause. She also moves directly in front of the Iron Lord and drops into a deep bow. Once upright again, she steps to the side not sure exactly where she falls in this mix of outsiders and her kinsman.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-09-25, 01:16 PM
Callos

I've been around death my entire life, whats a little more?

It was with that single thought that he stepped solemnly towards the Iron Lord's throne, feeling a new weight on his hip and one hand hovering above his spellbook. He had found some time to round out the repitiore of spells that lay within it and now felt much more...confident about what he had to do. Knowledge was power after all, and he didn't truly mourn the lose of the gem from the hydra's cave.

I wonder if he uses a glamer to amplify his voice...or perhaps he's just extremely loud whenever he needs to be impressive for his subjects. In either case this is much softer on the ears.

Erikkin
2007-09-25, 02:19 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn pauses a second before stepping into the throne room. He moves before the Iron Lord and bows. He then scurries back to the rest of the group and pulls out his dagger. As he usually does when he's bored or nervous, he begins tossing the serpentine blade into the air and catching it. I do fear death. I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I can't just abandon the world to my mistake. Maybe I should say that out loud. It sounds pretty noble. Nah, I'll just not mention the whole fearing death thing.

barawn
2007-09-25, 03:31 PM
Damian

With the Iron Lord's challenge, Damian chuckles slightly. Well, of course I fear death. But I'm being paid for it. This is what I do. The grin disappears from his face in a moment, however. It's strange that I'm so calm when accepting risks like this. I put survival over everything else, yet throw myself into grave danger for money. It's the challenge, I think. I don't believe I'd truly be living without it. Staying alive has always been a challenge for me. And so really, the choice is between something worse than death and a chance at death.

Looking at the others, he notes Tanner boldly stepping forward. It's people like him I really don't understand. Blind faith. Is it really bravery when you don't actually believe you're risking anything? At least those people are easy to predict, though. Tiriel's shrug registers without a hint of surprise, and Fizahn's dagger tossing seems the perfect response. That's definitely bravery, though. Looking the risk you're taking in the face, and saying that you need to take the risk anyway.

But I'm really no better than those who work on blind faith, am I? I step forward because I'm not really risking anything. Staying behind isn't living for me. Is it any different? Is that the same thing that Tiriel and Fizahn are thinking? Aren't they just saying that they don't want to live in a world where Sethra wins, too? No... it is different. They could choose to stay behind, and hope someone else handles it. They have a choice, know the risk, and are making it.

Ah well. This is not the time for introspection. My choice was made the instant Fizahn made that offer.

Without a hint of emotion in his face, Damian steps forward, looking up to the Iron Lord. While Tanner and the other bow to the Rashemi sovereign, Damian does not. His face shows no element of haughtiness or superiority. It's almost as if the concept of showing respect just doesn't cross his mind.

blackfox
2007-09-25, 04:36 PM
Anika

Anika hesitates for a few seconds. I don't really fear death itself, nor do I believe that there is nothing after death... But with no way of knowing the manner or time of my death... no way to know what to expect... I don't know if I'll be able to do all I want to do in life... helping to finish Valentine and Sethra... Perhaps the whole problem is not knowing... but then, I don't know what will happen either way, whether I fight or not. And I'd rather fight than sit safely in a stone castle for years, hundreds of miles from anywhere familiar. She steps forwards, her expression grave.

Koji
2007-09-25, 04:57 PM
Khazrael

In order to be afraid of my own death, I'd have to think that I was going to die.

With a smile on his face, Khazrael strides forward.

Naleh
2007-09-25, 05:02 PM
Retay

Do I fear death? Do I? My tribe did not. That was our great strength. When faced with death, we grew stronger. But do I fear death? They always said so. All my life, I was the one in the background, the weakling, the coward. The ones drafted into looking after me were always ashamed.

But on that day... When we were attacked, I was not afraid. Not that day. I stood with my brothers and sisters that day, and I was proud... Too proud. I lost control. My brothers and sisters died. And then, then I was afraid. I was afraid that more would die, and it would be my fault. I would not fight again...

And then more died. And those who were left called me useless, called me a coward, all over again. They were right. Their blood was on my hands. Because I was afraid.

No more. I do not fear death. Death is my destiny, the destiny of us all, and I will not fear again.

All this passes through his head in an instant. Without hesitation, Retay steps forward and joins the circle.

Matticus
2007-09-25, 06:08 PM
Grynde

Death, pah! I'm not afraid of anything. Not so keen on experiencing that, but if it comes for me, who cares? Nobody I know, yeah, but not me either. Ah, screw this, why am I thinking about it? It's that Sethra bloke who should fear death, not me. I don't have me hunting after me...
He steps forward confidently to stand near the people he has come to dislike, half a smile embedded on his features.

namo
2007-09-25, 07:14 PM
Adalmar

He turns the words in his head for a few seconds. His intrinsic honesty forces Adalmar to admit that he is afraid of death. Then again, he has always been told that it is wise to do so, provided you do not let your fear rule your life. Those words he received, he has now made his.

In any case, the path of duty and friendship is clear. He steps forward and solemnly bows with the others.

Aveda
2007-09-25, 07:58 PM
Gala

Gala's conversation with Adalmar and Tanner is broken off and she follows the party to the audience chamber. 'Not fear death?' I should already be dead. Killed with my friends...and Father. I'm past fearing death anymore. All I have to live for is killing this Sethra, and Valentine. I was prepared to die for that cause since leaving Laviguer, before I even knew what to look for. Nothing else matters. Gala steps forward into the room to join her newfound companions and bows to the Iron Lord. She steps in line with the others, standing close to those she had come to know in the past few hours.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-09-25, 08:04 PM
Elthan

Elthan stays still for a moment, lost in just that thought. Was he afraid to die? He certainly did not hold it in high regard with all of his recklessness as of late, and would gladly sacrifice it for the group if the need arose.

But, why was he even trying to think so far about such a theatrical question? Sure, he liked his stories where the hero's are asked for displays of their commitment by being asked to step forward and such, but that was for the beginning of adventures, not half-way through like they were.

But again, why was he thinking of something as silly as books? It was a simple call to arms; Who wants to keep going? The decision was already made, so after but a few moments of such contemplation he stepped forward with the rest of the group. He looks over to them for a moment, only to guess at what they might be thinking.

Dr._Bob
2007-09-26, 09:08 PM
One by one, the thirteen of you step forward until you are gathered in a semi-circle around the throne of the Iron Lord.

Alone, the huhrong seems older and more gentle than he had seemed the previous night. But his eyes are still clear and bright, and his sinewy muscles and well-healed scars remind you that his title was hard won. He is not a man to be underestimated.

He smiles, perhaps a bit sadly, as he looks at each of you in turn.

"My generals are assembling the fyrra, our war leaders, and we have recalled 2000 warriors from Citadel Rashemar.

"All of the Great Lodges are mobilizing - Ettercap, Great Stag, Ice Troll, Owlbear, Snow Tiger, and Wolf.

"From Mulsantir in the south to the Urlingwood here in the north, our armies are preparing for war."

The Iron Lord does not speak with pride. His voice is flat as he details the preparations that have already been set into motion within the past 24 hours.

"And yet, it would appear that we are doomed. Rashemen will fall."

A female voice interrupts the Iron Lord, "Indeed. Our brave warriors will be no match for the enemy we face."

From the shadows behind the throne step three women. Their faces are hidden behind elegant porcelain masks.

Tryntha curtseys deeply, suppressing her surprised intake of breath. She recognizes the wychlaran as more than just hathrans. These are othlors - "true ones" - the wisest of all of the wychlaran.

"The Lake of Tears will not protect us from an enemy that can travel under the earth as easily, if not more easily, than above it.

"And their warriors - demons and undead - neither tire nor retreat.

"The necromancer reborn has found a nearly limitless supply of undead minions to command. He will be able to send new abominations against us faster than we can destroy them.

"The fall of Rashemen is, based on all of our calculations, inevitable. Our warriors are strong and brave, and will defend our homeland to their last breaths, but their efforts will be in vain. Resistance is, it would appear, futile."

The lead othlor pauses, allowing the Iron Lord to speak again.

"It is obvious to ... us ... that a frontal assault or conventional defense will be useless. In a war of attrition, it is we who will be the losers.

"We will need an alternative plan ..."

kuja.girl
2007-09-26, 10:12 PM
Tiriel

The last time Tiriel was in a situation similar to this, she backed down. She let herself be talked into "delivering" the kris to Sheyra. She'd felt that it'd been wrong - that whole creepy ordeal of the walking through the-catacombs filled-with-zombies with that (bitch) Valentine had been wrong. But it had been a relief to get rid of the knife so she'd given in.
Wait.
Filled. With. Zombies.
There were a lot of them down there in the catacombs. More than lots. They'd killed that bard, what's-his-face, and Tiriel had taken down quite a few before Valentine called her minions off. But there were plenty left waiting to replace the one's she'd killed. Could it be... Well that'd be just too perfect since they'd been planning to head that way anyhow.

Tiriel looks at Anika, grinning with her mental success, "Do you remember the catacombs under Telflamm? The ones where we met Valentine and fought all the zombies?"

[ooc: reference [here] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16007&page=14) for everyone not familiar with the LitD events]

Darius
2007-09-26, 10:24 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner waits to make sure that the four leaders are through speaking. He looks at the others and then says in an unwavering voice, "The undead do the bidding of the necromancer who commands them, and I would undoubtedly guess that some nefarious pact was struck to gain the aid of the evil outsiders. If the head were removed, the body would fall; namely - remove the lynch-pin that holds this entire force in place...remove the necromancer."

Tanner then pauses again before continuing. He has spoken what everyone knows to be true and his next statement will most likely be a death sentence to any who choose to walk down the path. Tanner's words are not sweetened with honey nor are they eloquent, but they resound in the hearts of those that hear them. He continues, "Iron Lord, sending an army to dispatch the necromancer would be foolish, for they would be easily tracked; in addition, all the warriors that fell would be used against their kin. Moreover, each of the Lodges will be needed here. Instead, a wise choice would be to send a small force of expendable individuals that have proven resourceful and knowledgeable - perhaps among them could be those whom have faced this foe and his minions before." Tanner looks at the original party when he says this. He then turns and looks at Tryntha when he says his next line, "I would think it also would be important to include one whose ties with the land could prove to be a medium to contact her sisters."

Tanner then says, "Whatever is decided, know this, Iron Lord: as long as I draw breath, I shall stop at nothing until this land and people that have harbored and made an outsider like me one of their own are safe from this threat." When finished, Tanner continues to stand with his head high. Even the skeptics in the bunch may be moved with the words of this man whose firm resolve and beliefs are sincere.

Matticus
2007-09-26, 11:26 PM
Grynde

He glances at Tanner, and nods, then voices his opinion, simply agreeing with the Gondsman's point.
He's right. That Sethra prick is the centre of this. He's gotta go.

barawn
2007-09-26, 11:27 PM
Damian

Damian's attention is immediately drawn to Tiriel when she speaks over to Anika - Tanner's impassioned speech registers, but little in it draws his attention. He had already expected as much, and the question, in his mind, wasn't what to do. It was how to do it. When work was plentiful back home, his employers had a simple name for the task. "Strategic removal." In this case, though, it wasn't nearly so simple.

The key to this isn't us. We don't know anything more than the Iron Lord does. The key to this is them. Do they know where these undead are stemming from?

Damian frowns. This was a complicated war, and he simply does not have the information to process it properly. But what about the demons, in that case? The necromancer is just one prong in a two-prong attack.

His mind busy with the complicated issues, Damian stays quiet, carefully listening for Anika's response.

namo
2007-09-27, 12:04 AM
Adalmar

The ranger bows to the Hathrans too - his Rashemi blood demands it. But he feels unsteady on his feet - he had hoped the situation was not so dire, and that Rashemen could at least contain the Army of Darkness.

Infiltrating the enemy side had never seemed like an easy stroll, but doing so knowing that you are the last hope of thousands of people... His shoulders stoop a bit, he imagines he can feel the weight of duty pressing on them.

Koji
2007-09-27, 12:18 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael regards the masked women with interest, but gives no overt signs of respect or deference. He nods in agreement as Tanner speaks.

"He's right. Even if taking Sethra out doesn't destroy his minions, it'll certainly take some of the wind out of their sails."

Naleh
2007-09-27, 01:58 AM
Retay

"I agree," says Retay simply. "We have to take out the head... literally."

Diarmuid
2007-09-27, 09:00 AM
Tryntha

At this moment, Tryntha found herself greatly jealous of the othlors for nothing simpler than their masks. She found it difficult to maintain her composure when the man in whom she had utmost faith and confidence, and the women who bordered on omnipotence/omniscience to her...laid to bare her worst fears.

But she managed everywhere but her eyes. There was no quivering of her lip, no downward cast to her brow, no nervously grasping at her skirts...but her eyes betrayed the sadness and hopelessness she felt.

After the words of the others, she felt little better, thinking to herself,

Can the fate of my lands really be in the hands of these people? They cant seem to dispatch a simple argument or gain a handle on their own magics and treasures....how can they be expected to infiltrate this force and remove it's head? Especially when that head already possesses an artifact that they gave to it?

Raising her gaze once again to her pillars of strength, she watched them. They were not backing down from this. They would throw everything they have at this foe even in the face of complete ruin. And they had approached these outsiders. Perhaps the othlor had seen something invisible to the eyes of everyone else. Of course they had, that was what they did. And the Iron Lord, besides being immensely powerful himself was also a brilliant leader, especially in times of fighting. He must have some plan he was working towards.

Her thoughts began to race as hope wormed its way back into her mind,

"A small force would not be able to get through a large army to do what needed to be done. But...if that army were distracted with fighting the likes of which it had not seen yet...the likes of which would come from the combined forces of the lodges..then maybe, maybe that small group could slip past. And if the elders have seen that their faith is to be put in these people, I must do everything I can to help them in whatever role they have seen fit for me to play.

A bit of color rushed to her cheeks as the Rashemi woman's eyes shed their sadness and filled with determination. Respectfully, she nodded to the othlor and the huhrong and spoke,

"My Lord, I will fight with all the strength I have in the times to come. I am no lodge warrior, but all that I have is yours to command. Where would you have this sister in the times to come?"

Erikkin
2007-09-27, 09:16 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn nearly drops his dagger when he hears that the Rashemen aren't confident. Frowning, he sheathes the blade. I did mention the Underdark and untiring points, now didn't I? He lets the others talk for a while before hesitantly chiming in. "I believe the Sethra actually likes to play with enemies that he feels he could otherwise beat easily. I'm not saying that you will be easily beaten by Sethra, but rather that he's arrogant enough to think that. You might have a bit more time than you think. I would also gladly go after Sethra. He needs to be put down."

Dr._Bob
2007-09-27, 10:49 AM
The Iron Lord nods in agreement as you speak.

"Perhaps you know the tale of Yr and the ice dragon that tells how a little Rashemi girl defeated the mighty beast with only a sharpened stick?

"While her father fought the beast with axe and shield, Yr crept beneath the beast's belly and found a small weak spot between its armored scales. She plunged her stick into the dragon's heart, slaying it."

Tryntha, of course, immediately recognizes the children's tale. The Iron Lord raises his arms, encompassing all thirteen of you.

"You, then, shall be our stick. The challenge will be in finding the dragon's weak spot ..."

The othlor speaks again.

"Some of you know of the City of the Dead it seems. Indeed, the necromancer's undead army has been growing beneath Thesk for centuries, quietly waiting for the command to emerge."

(Elthan remembers a vision, granted to him by Shar, of a dark anthill, centered beneath Telflamm ...)

"The City of the Dead is the heart of the necromancer's army, but even a guerrilla assault against the City may fail, considering the sheer numbers of undead you would be facing there.

"There may be another option to consider. The kris is now in the hands of one of the necromancer's lieutenants, a vampire with whom some of you are acquainted. She is using the artifact to enhance her control over the vanguard of the undead army now threatening our homeland.

"If the vampire can be defeated and the artifact retrieved, the necromancer's army will be weakened indeed. We would not have pierced the dragon's heart, but perhaps we will be able to defang the dragon's jaws, buying us valuable time."

The Iron Lord adds, "Your friends have already been dispatched to the north, south, east, and west," referring to Lissa, Achkby, Faluil, and Desmona, "but they will need time to rally support from Aglarond and beyond."

"The wychlaran report that the vampire has established a base within the ruins of Shandaular, on the other side of the Lake. Ranger, you know the ruins as the City of Weeping Ghosts. It lies approximately 20 miles north of your hometown of Kront."

barawn
2007-09-27, 03:33 PM
Damian

Damian winces slightly when the plan is mentioned. Vampires. Of course it would be vampires. Going after the demons would be easy. "A vampire won't be an easy foe. We have two persons of the cloth with us, but our chances would be aided with anything that would help oppose such a powerful undead."

"I don't mean to further impose - you have already been quite generous. But a failed attempt on the kris may be more dangerous than none at all, since it would tip your intentions. And your knowledge of the situation."

Darius
2007-09-27, 04:09 PM
Tanner Gondsman

"Faith is our best weapon. Have faith, Damian; we will not fail as long as we work together. Besides, if there were items to help against the undead, I would rather have them be here in the hands of those that could defend the young, wounded, and infirmed. Sending us would not indicate the intention of the Iron Lord or knowledge thereof. It could be seen as a means of righting an earlier misstep made by the others to get the kris back. Only three of us bear ties to Rasheman, so scries and spies may not see things as much other than refugees from this and other lands."

Erikkin
2007-09-27, 04:24 PM
Fizahn:

"We've already gotten items to combat them. Although that was apparently a gift from Hlondeth not the Rashemi. We need to move quickly. We need to hurry up with these discussions. The lord has given us our mission. Adalmar knows where we need to go. There's nothing more the Rashemen can do for us; it's time for us to help them." Is haste really that necessary? Damian does have a point about it being a vampire. Are we adequately prepared for a vampire? I doubt that a 'kill' ring would work against an undead. We do have Tiriel's dragon, though.

Koji
2007-09-27, 05:13 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael fiddles with his dragonfly ring as he thinks.

What are you afraid of? You've got your wings--the world is yours.

With a grin, he speaks.

"Let's get the hells out of here, then. Valentine's lackeys stole some of my blood, and I think it's about time I got it back."

barawn
2007-09-27, 05:32 PM
Damian

Damian's eyes turn harshly to Tanner, glaring, his grey eyes fixed like venom. Naive, bold fool. Exactly what I expected, though. "Faith is not our best weapon. Knowledge is our best weapon. I don't risk my life on faith, and we certainly can fail if we march in there unprepared. If you remember, they have already faced vampires and they were overmatched, and rash actions have just recently cost us two fellow travelers. I wasn't asking for an entire arsenal. But considering this plan is from the Iron Lord and the wychlaran, perhaps they should consider how crucial it is for it to succeed. And perhaps they have something appropriate."

Fizahn's words stop him, however, and he winces again, looking to the gnome. "... but, if that's what you think, then we should go. It's your choice." I need a backup plan. They're too headstrong. If Adalmar knows where this place is, perhaps he's best to ask about any details. And Callos might know something about vampires. Obviously I can't ask Tanner.

kuja.girl
2007-09-27, 05:42 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel felt that now familiar feeling - the cold mix of anticipation, fear, dread, and excitement - that she'd come to associate the time prior to a battle. Much of the talk going around her fades into the background when she hears that the Rashemi know where Valentine is camped.
She has the damned knife, so we get that back and avenge Si'rene all in one go. Our last fight didn't go well - we had just finished the fell troll, night fell, and many of us were not feeling our best. We got lucky, well some of us. Tiriel stifles a groan at Tanner's little "have faith" rally attempt. Tiriel would like to be that confident but she's not.

"This isn't just about helping people Tanner - it's about doing what we all know needs to be done. We know that the vampires work with or for Sethra, so to get to him we have to get rid of them. We can't afford to wait. Every hour is important now. We got cornered last time and the fight was more on their terms than ours. Hopefully we'll have the advantage this time of being able to choose the time, if not the place, of the fight."
She nods to the Iron Lord and the assembled wychlaran,
"Anika and I both were down in what you called the city of the dead. We entered it from the Underdark - I don't think either of us could find our way again, and the Hlondeth have taken our friend, who could, hostage."

blackfox
2007-09-27, 06:57 PM
Anika

Ugh, I remember that place. I wouldn't want to find my way back there again even if I could find my way back there. But if we were to go after Valentine's lair...

"I think going after Valentine would be a better idea for now. As Tiriel says, we're not experienced as far as the Underdark goes, and it is unlikely that we will be able to find our way back without Trinark. Besides, bringing the kris back here would certainly help ease the pressure on Rashemen and the rest of the North. However, it is indeed unlikely that we can do it without help, even though our numbers have increased since we last stood against the vampires."

Dr._Bob
2007-09-27, 07:20 PM
"No doubt the necromancer expects us to resist. We, however, shall dictate how and where you will strike.

"The wychlaran can get you safely to Shaundalar. You will be accompanied by a fang led by Sigurd of Wolf Lodge and supported by hathrans.

"The journey across the Lake will take two days. We will arrange for you to arrive at dawn, so that you can take advantage of as much daylight as possible.

"Our forces will provide cover, distraction, and support for as long as possible, though they will withdraw at dusk. If you have not completed your mission by then, you will be on your own."

The Iron Lord folds his arms. The lead othlor steps forward toward Tryntha.

"Young one, desperate times call for bold action. Though you are green and inexperienced, you have bonded with these foreigners and have proven yourself to be resourceful and decisive."

The two other othlors also step forward, flanking the first.

One holds out a porcelain mask; the other holds out three smooth riverstones, carved with intricate runes.

"Take this mask and these breachstones and accompany your friends. Go with the blessing of the wychlaran."

Darius
2007-09-28, 10:40 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Even when met with bile-soaked words and looks from Damian, Tanner smiles at the mercenary, "To the contrary, my friend. You have faith in your own abilities, do you not? Tanner approaches Damian as he speaks and rests his hand on Damian's shoulder as he speaks his next sentence, staring intently into the gray eyes of his companion. His words sound like that of one speaking with his brother, for a genuine caring is evident in the tone and manners conveyed by the priest. "I have faith in you, and I believe you will do your best."

Tanner then turns to Tiriel as she speaks, he listens intently to her words and then says to her, "You are right, Tiriel. My own views often find their way into what I hear and say." Tanner then addresses the group. His eyes gaze into each of the party members as he speaks, and at it seems as though Tanner is looking inside each of the group, "We all have our own motives that drive the things we do, and I am not the one to judge any of you for them. However, once we leave this hall, we must have a singular focus to accomplishing this task. We must put any self-doubt out of our minds, for that will lead to hesitation - and hesitation leads to failure." Tanner then looks to those that have clearly been at odds with one another as he continues, "In addition, we must trust one another and IN one another, for what we set off to do this day will test our mettle and requires that each of us puts our lives into another's hands. Until we are victorious, we cannot afford to plant the seed of discontent, for what will ultimately grow will be reaped by the hand of Sethra.

Tanner then smiles and says, "Let's tarry no further, for together we have a long journey ahead."

kuja.girl
2007-09-28, 12:55 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel gives Tanner an appraising glance. I don't agree with his methodology or manner, but when you break down what he says, it's pretty much agrees with what I was thinking. I, I guess I'll try to let up on him a little.

"Right. We work together. The trusting part is the hardest part because it takes time, something we don't have much of." She says glancing at Elthan.

barawn
2007-09-28, 02:47 PM
Damian

Damian's demeanor doesn't change in the slightest as Tanner approaches him. Fizahn's statement seems to have defused the vitriol, but in its place is merely an emotionless shell of appearance. He says nothing as Tanner speaks, his thoughts racing to quell the rising frustration.

No. I don't have faith in my abilities. If I did, I wouldn't have backup plans and exit strategies for every action I take. The reason I survive is not faith. Not friends. Not ability. It's planning. It always has been. I sought out my first employer, though he didn't even know it at the time. He thought I was just another street urchin. He didn't know I had been following him for weeks.

The hubris in Tanner is simply without bound. It's amazing. I have to make sure he isn't the undoing of this endeavor. And of me, for that matter. I have to find an alternative for the inevitable brave, bold, fatal last charge against an overmatched opponent that they'll make. His eyes slip over to Tiriel just for a moment when she speaks. And I may have to do it in spite of some of them.

Who, then? Elthan, clearly. And Callos. Khazrael's not a planning type in any case. And that other rogue. What was his name? Aeroz, that's...

Damian glances around at those in the Iron Lord's chamber, and he sighs slightly. "We're missing someone. Did anyone see Aeroz out there when the Iron Lord issued his challenge?"

blackfox
2007-09-28, 04:02 PM
Anika

Anika rolls her eyes at Tanner. From what she understood of him, he was leaping before he looked, trusting to luck rather than trusting to knowledge. It also seemed to her that he was trying to impose himself as a sort of group 'leader', to take control, and the group had never had a formal leader. Although it was true that the group needed to work together, no one should have to enforce togetherness, or it wouldn't really work.

Her train of thought is interrupted by Damian's question. "Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Aeroz in a few hours... I think he went out into the city."

Koji
2007-09-28, 04:22 PM
Khazrael

He gives a smirk at Tanner's second speech.

Of course I've got faith in my abilities, it's you humans that I have to worry about.

namo
2007-09-28, 06:19 PM
Adalmar

Adalmar nods in acceptance when he is instituted de facto guide for the expedition. He is slowly getting used to getting more attention.

He is fascinated by Tanner's eloquence. He doesn't miss the head-shaking and eye-rolling, but on some level Tanner brings focus to the group - whether for or against him - and they will need that if they can't have active cooperation.

Damian's lack of respect irks him. Perhaps it is time to speak up : "Thank you, huhrong*. I too believe we would benefit from learning all about vampires and their weaknesses. I humbly request the help of your Rashemen scholars." His eyes go from the Lord to the Hathrans and back - he finds it too unsettling to stare at the masks for too long.

[OOC: *or the requisite term of respect - Highness, ...]

Callos_DeTerran
2007-09-29, 12:55 AM
Callos

I have to admit, Tanner is a rather eloquent speaker at times but his personal opinions leak too much into his speech and it might rub some of us the wrong way. Not to mention calling us expendable...But HIS faith is reassuring, if nothing else it'll repel Valentine's fangs from his throat for a time. Damien's...reaction though is perhaps the most unsettling of all this though.

Hmm...there'll be a sort of poetic irony if Sethra ends up hopping into his body and he's the one who starts sowing dissent. Hmm...reminds me.

Callos had been keeping very quiet. He knew he shouldn't talk to important people, or at least not important people who they weren't trying to deliberately anger. In any case it almost looked like he had a case of lock jaw as he stood there and felt the weight of his own equipment and gold weighing down. Maybe he should have spent more of it, then again he probably shouldn't since he didn't know what he might need it for...like making sure Damien didn't suddenly leave due to interpersonal relationship problems...

But at least he could answer something...

"I know plenty about vampires, their strengths and their weaknesses. I believe I even told you...er...everyone, not sure if you were listening to me, before our first encounter with the undead woman and her two lackeys. However that's for another time, perhaps when we won't bore the Iron Lord and his advisors on the subject."

Hmm...Hadn't thought about this. I'll give a Knowledge Check on Lady Valentine a shot. Who knows? I get high enough and maybe I'll learn something useful about her...

Knowledge Religon: [roll0]

barawn
2007-09-29, 01:14 AM
Damian

Damian nods to Callos, the hard set in his face relaxing. "Then we're not walking in completely blind. Hopefully that will be good enough, then. Is there anything in particular we should pick up to fight the vampire before leaving? Oh... also, do you have a spell to identify Tiriel's ring on the way? If not, that's one thing we should definitely pick up before leaving. Maybe a few, if it's not too expensive. If it's really what it looks like, that's a huge tactical advantage, but it could doom us if we rely on it and it turns out to be nothing more than an illusion."

Damian's face lightens considerably, and he shrugs slightly. "Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, or in any sense cowardly. Tanner and Tryntha are built to fight undead. Tiriel could rip the head off of anything, and you at least know about them. Me, at least - undead aren't my strength, although I can certainly help out. If there's something simple that's more effective versus vampires, it would be foolish for us not to acquire it now."

Diarmuid
2007-09-29, 10:39 AM
Tryntha

At first she almost doesnt know what to do or say, she just stares at the porcelain masks and the items their wearers hold out. Blinking a few times, she respectfully bows and then curtsies, unsure of herself and holds her hands out to accept the items.

"I will do everything I can to ensure your faith in me is not ill-placed. My life for Rasheman, my life for the Iron Lord."

Bowing, she backs away from the othlor a few steps and inspects the items she has been handed, listening to the further discussions from the group.

kuja.girl
2007-09-29, 01:03 PM
Tiriel

I could...what?!? She's not sure if she should take Damian's comment as a compliment, or something less positive.
"I've never seen an illusion smash a table, so I doubt it's that. But knowing what the 'rules' for the ring are would be a good."

Darius
2007-09-29, 04:50 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner says to the Iron Lord, "Thank you." He bows slightly again to him and then to the Hathran. Tanner then says to the party, "I suggest we gather some rations and supplies from the larder as we join with our escort. I am sure there is enough table shards for us to make stakes. Is there anything else any of you wish to get?" As he said the last statement, Tanner was looking directly at Damian.

Tanner then will collect a few viable pieces of table that could be made into stakes. He then will get a belt pouch, 6 days rations, 4 flasks of oil, 20 tindertwigs, and 4 wineskins filled with mead.

barawn
2007-09-29, 11:04 PM
Damian

Damian returns Tanner's gaze with a look that at least looks normal, although still not in good humor in any sense. "Yes. Aeroz, at the least. He's got one of the nine rings, and I don't think he returned from the city. Either that, or he's in the citadel somewhere. Speed may be of the essence, but I don't think our benefactor from Hlondeth intended us to simply abandon one of those rings."

He turns to the Iron Lord, bowing slightly. "Perhaps, if it would be possible, we may be able to gain some assistance in locating him from our host. Certainly the Rashemi are best equipped to locate someone in the city quickly."

Aveda
2007-09-30, 05:17 PM
Gala

Gala stands, eyes shining as their next step is revealed. This is more than she could have dreamed to be doing just two short days ago. She tries to keep herself from rolling her eyes as a party members almost immediately start to bicker. Some of what they say is useful, though--she'd never fought vampires before and puts in a mental note to ask Callos about them later. She's not quite sure what the rings are all about, nor has she heard of this "Aeroz". Gala decides to stand and listen a while longer to learn what she can, or at least until they leave the presence of the Iron Lord, and does a mental checklist to make sure she doesn't need anything else before leaving on their mission.

Erikkin
2007-09-30, 07:05 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn quiets down after he speaks. He is content to watch and listen. Fighting vampires was not a skill he had. Others had already made their dislike for them clear, why should he voice his? He looks around as Aeroz is mentioned. Aeroz is missing? Wonderful. If we find him, he is not keeping that ring for very long... Self-consciously, he looks down at his own ring. Kill... He shivers and looks up at the Iron Lord, waiting for them to be dismissed.

Matticus
2007-10-01, 01:57 AM
Grynde

Vampires, eh? Doesn't matter. They can still die. Just a bit harder than normal. What were all those old stories...Does the stake kill them, or not?...And there was something about...Water? Blood?....Yeah, they drink blood. Duh. Damnit, I can't remember how to kill one...
He spares a glance to the lack of Aeroz in the room. Gone, is he? Hmm...He had a ring...I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those...

Dr._Bob
2007-10-01, 11:04 AM
"You will leave in the morning. May Bhalla guide and protect you."

When the audience ends, you are returned to the dining hall, where Aeroz lies unconscious under one of the tables, an empty bottle of jhuild lies on its side just a few inches from one of his outstretched hands.

Being careful not to disturb him, your group enjoys dessert - an assortment of fine cheeses and a delicate flanne. Before the flanne is served, a liberal dose of jhuild is poured over it, then set aflame. You wisely allow most of the alcohol to burn off before enjoying the dessert.

A toast is raised to Lissa, Achkby, Faluil, and Desmona, who have already been sent off on their mission. No doubt they will face perils of their own. You are saddened that you were not even given a chance to exchange goodbyes before they left.

In anticipation of the battle ahead, you pool your shared knowledge about vampires based on lore, learning, and (for some of you) personal experience. It is well known that vampires hate garlic, sunlight, mirrors, and running water. It is also said that vampires can change form, and several of you remember the way Valentine commanded swarms of bats when she ambushed you in Kront. It is said that a vampire can only be slain by a stake through the heart or by exposure to direct sunlight. You have also heard that vampires can not enter a building unless invited - though in this case, you will be attacking her on her own turf, making this a difficult advantage to exploit.

The conversation about vampires goes on for hours, as you consider how you might best defeat Valentine, if she is indeed based in Shaundalar now. You hope that she will have retreated to her coffin during the day, giving you a great advantage if you can find her before the sun sets ...

Meanwhile, Callos engages one of the othlors in conversation, striking a bargain with her. In exchange for a generous donation to the wychlaran, they will do their best to identify the magic rings given to you by the Serpent Queen ...

One by one, those of you with rings slip them off your fingers and entrust them to the wychlaran. The iron octagon is gently removed from Aeroz's finger and added to the other eight.

With trembling hands, Tryntha places the porcelain mask upon her face. The mask is eggshell white, with crimson markings placed under its eyes and across its forehead. Looking through the eyeholes of the mask, she sees Tiriel in all of her winged splendor as well as Anika's true appearance - she has shoulder length red hair and green eyes. The hathran mask removes all illusions, and will no doubt prove useful in the mission ahead.

Darius
2007-10-01, 12:21 PM
Tanner Gondsman

EDIT: This post will most likely change due to reading DrB's OOC.

Tanner says as he continues to work, "Unless Callos has other suggestions, I know that holy water will harm vampires as it does other undead. In addition, a stake such as this," Tanner holds up a stake he is fashioning from a broken table leg, "is required to kill a vampire. It must be thrust into the heart of the abomination...or at least where its heart once was. I have never faced vampires before, so I do not know much about them other than what I have read or heard on the subject. Speaking of which, it was mentioned that the rings help keep their wearers free of influence. I was told that vampires have the means to charm or dominate others by sheer force of will. In my prayers this morning, Gond has graced me with the ability to protect those within a 10-foot radius of the spell from evil influence. It also will protect those from any form of possession. Finally, if non-good creatures are summoned, they cannot touch those who are protected by the barrier unless a protected member attacks such a creature. That said, if such creatures are among those we face, we will need to designate one creature for those within the circle of protection to attack one at a time."

Tanner then asks the others, "Are there any other strategies we wish to use? I do not want a repeat of what happened at the outpost. Therefore, I think it would be wise for us to discuss a plan on how we can optimally use our skills and talents. I shall start...Once we are faced with the enemy, I think that protecting Tryntha with the magic circle will be best, for she is a better healer than I. Joining her should be those who sling spells and are not accustomed to fighting in the front."

"Now, we should also find a means to protect those who will be fighting using other means. I believe that it is vital we protect those in a similar fashion. I can do so using personal spells similar to the magical circle. The problem with that is the spell does not last as long, and it requires multiple castings. Unfortunately, we most likely will not have time for this. Therefore, I think it may be wise for both Tryntha and I to have several magical circles of protection at our disposal, and we cast them on teams that will be fighting together. We should may wish to think about which of us would best work to optimize our protection capabilities."

"If Tryntha, Elthan, and Callos are a team due to the nature of their skills; Adalmar and Fizahn as archers could work with one of the spell-slingers like Khazrael; we may want to form a team of Damian, Aeroz, and Anika - for they use stealth and subterfuge; Retay Wyrmslayer, Grynde, and Gala may make a sound melee team; that leaves Tiriel and myself to work together as we are the most mobile. What are the rest of your thoughts?"

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-01, 02:38 PM
Callos

He didn't feel comfortable giving the rings to the hathran, after all he knew nothing of their order or ways. Perhaps they were seeking to put a tracking enchantment on them, much like Prozen had likely done or perhaps they were swapping the rings for non-magical replacements. Those were the kinds of paranoid thoughts running through his mind and it was driving him nuts. But in either case he shook his head and started paying attention to what was going on...

"You came close enough Gondsman, but there are more methods then that to destroy a vampire and none are easy. For example, your stake method, while well-informed, requires that you close into melee combat with them in first which is something I'd never advise. Vampires are intelligent, cunning, strong, and exceedingly fast blood sucking monsters and that alone would make them a challenge. In the same manner their supernatural abilities are to be equally feared though your...circle should repel the most worrying of them, the ability to dominate a for with their voice or eyes. I wouldn't rely on the rings in this regard since Prozen specifically mentioned Sethra's possession and so they may not help in this sort of deal. " He paused then to look around at the assembled group and took a deep breath before opening his mouth to speak again. "Then there is the additional problem of actually hurting a vampire. They can be hurt, but unless you use an enchanted silver weapon you'll have a much harder time of it. Even then their wounds are quick to close. Cold and electricity are weak against their cold flesh and the influence of the god's is not as strong as it should be against one such as them. Especially considering that if they can grab hold of one of us and drain our blood, they'll mend their wounds that way as well. What we should most be concerned about however is something far more insidious. Being the shape-shifting fiends that they are, a vampire can directly attack that which we hold most dear...our souls. Just a touch. I myself could only withstand such an assault four times before I became one of their spawn. As we've personally seen Lady Valentine can summon creatures of the night to do her bidding, but this is hardly a unique ability we'll need to worry about additional aid from bats or wolves most likely. And finally the worst of it all in terms of their unholy defenses. If...we would be able to somehow hurt one enough, that if it had been alive it would fall, it will instead turn to mist and seek solace in it's coffin. However if they can't reach that in two hours time, they'll be irrevocably destroyed."

Callos again paused for a moment to gaze around at his fellows to see if their resolves were weakening. This was a truly serious matter and he wanted to impress that upon them. Before continuing, the necromancer reached into his pouch and pulled out his small mirror, flipping it into the air and catching it as he spoke. "That is what we are rushing to fight...but there are weaknesses in them, thank Mystara. Sunlight is their bane, exposure to it will slay one in under a half minute, as well completely immersing them in running water, which they cannot cross. A few things can keep a vampire at bay, a mirror for example or a strongly presented holy symbol or the strong smell of garlic, but these will not drive them away. It'll merely buy you time, and keep them at a distance. To return to the stake subject, that alone won't slay them. If the stake is removed at a later date the vampire WILL rise again, you must also destroy the body. Traditionally this is done by merely removing the head although there are recorded instances of vampire slayers burning the bodies and dispersing the ashes at a crossroad. That's widely regarded as folly since at any point in the burning the stake could come loose and you'll have a very angry and very burnt vampire before you."

Finally stopping in his little lecture, though he did know some rather interesting legends and stories about blood suckers, he instead turned his attention to what Tanner had said regarding teams of them. "Elthan and I, unfortunately, shouldn't be bunched together on this one. Our individual talents aren't quite as effect against the undead so putting us both in the same squad would be deterimental. However I will be traveling with Tryntha. Other people that'd be a good compliment in this situation would be Damien and Gala. Tiriel should go with Elthan since her rather unique talents can balance out with him rather nicely and I'd suggest Adalmar or Fizahn as well with Grynde. You Tanner should work with Anika, Retay, and Khaz since they'll mesh rather nicely but might be a bit disorganized. Which leaves Adalmar (Or Fizahn) and Aeroz, and I wouldn't mind taking the drunken on with me since I can keep an eye on him...and his rapier. In any case, I've said my piece whither you'll listen or not is your problem."

Erikkin
2007-10-01, 02:52 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn listens intently to Callos's talk about the vampires. They seem almost indestructible. That is not a good thing. If they die in sunlight, why would you even bother burning one? Just stake it and take it with you to an open plain. You could unstake it at noon and have it tied up so it couldn't move. Or drop it in a river. He frowns as Callos mentions his suggestion for teams. "I would rather not work with Grynde." He wouldn't need the vampire's influence to turn on me.

barawn
2007-10-01, 04:11 PM
Damian

Damian nods at Callos's quick delivery of an intended party distribution. "I agree, although I think Fizahn should go with Tanner and Adalmar should go with Tiriel, slightly for tactical reasons - Adalmar is a little more robust - sorry, Fizahn - and Tiriel's group would lack a priest who could offer medical aid."

He glances to Tryntha, and Callos. "I'd need to talk to both of you at some length as to what magic you're capable of, as well - both for tactical reasons and in case this vampire dominated you in the way that Callos said it - she - whatever - can. I know that wizards can be a bit protective of their spells, but any tactical advantage we can gain would be a benefit."

His hands idly drop under his jacket, and he glances down. The sound of wooden objects bouncing against each other is audible, and those nearby may see a small chain of varied holy symbols dangling from his belt. I don't think these would protect me, though. For me, these are just tools. There's no intrinsic faith behind them. It's strange to think - Tanner may have been right. Well, except for the fact that according to Callos, that would only keep them at bay, anyway. Until their other legions of undead swarm us.

Erikkin
2007-10-01, 04:26 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn is indignant and shocked at Damian's comment. "Robust? I'm a gnome! All gnomes are robust! I can very well go with Tiriel. I've never relied on magical healing anyway. They can't hit me. And if they do, well, I'm robust. Much more robust than Adalmar, no offense. I suppose you don't think I'm robust because of my hangover? Well let me tell you, I drank enough firewine to kill a small country." I'm not robust? Hell. I'm more robust than any of them. I'm probably as robust as Tiriel. Your crossbow bolt didn't even hurt me, that's how robust I am. It was just a little sting in my side. I easily worked through it.

Naleh
2007-10-01, 04:38 PM
Retay

The barbarian looks between his partymates, utterly lost. So much was happening at once. Strategy - he'd never had much need for it.

"Back with my tribe..." he begins. He has not spoken of his past before. "...we prepared a little, tried to give ourselves the upper hand, but we didn't make complicated plans - if something changed in the battle, we could adjust to suit." He shrugs. "This doesn't seem so tough to me: get a silver weapon and cut them to pieces. Just like any other undead." He stares at Callos as he says this.

blackfox
2007-10-01, 05:57 PM
Anika

Anika laughs quietly when Callos mentions garlic, remembering the 'garlic bombs' that Tiriel had made earlier.

So, it's me, Khazrael, Retay, Fizahn, and Tanner... that's not too bad. The vampires, though... since they're not alive I can't stab them from the shadows and expect them to drop dead. We'd have to stake them and then hack their bodies apart... or stake them and then dump them in a stream. And if they can suck away your soul with a touch I wouldn't want to be that close, anyways. Which means silver arrows if I wanted to hurt it... not that I'd want to be that close to silver, although I'd be fine if I didn't touch it, and I have no idea where I would get silver arrows.

"Does anyone know where I could get silvered bolts for my crossbow?"

namo
2007-10-01, 06:12 PM
Adalmar

The ranger says : "Our enemies may have changed that place, but I'm still the one who knows it best - my group should be ready to be first in line, at least in the beginning." then falls quiet again.

Koji
2007-10-01, 06:41 PM
Khazrael

"Lightning's no good, you say? That means I'm going to have a rough time out there. Last time, a couple of her cronies pinned me down and drained half my blood. They're faster and stronger than I'd care to admit."

So I'm stuck on the boat with those four? Eh, could be worse. I pity Grynde's boat.

kuja.girl
2007-10-01, 08:31 PM
Tiriel

So... my sword will work on them, but not as well as a enchanted silver sword? Tiriel thinks to herself after hearing (part of) Tanner and Callos' long lectures. Huh. Well that can't be a very common thing to find, silver is a pretty soft metal after all. Still, maybe there's one in what passes for an armory around here.
Tiriel checks out of the raging discussion both mentally and physically. Since there seem to be plenty of persons willing to discuss tactics length, she figures that they'll be fine without her if this takes longer than she expects.

Tiriel is going to try and track down a silver weapon, preferably a sword, but she'll take what she can get. She'll ask around the keep first before trying the town.

Aveda
2007-10-02, 02:23 AM
Gala

Gala sits in the hall and tries to concentrate on the long list of vampire-killing techniques. Many of the specifics blend together in her mind, but she focuses on the parts that concern her most directly: the actual hitting and/or killing of said vampires. She echoes Anika's concern, saying "I suppose I'll need a silver sword, then, if someone here can enchant it? As much as I'd like to go give their pale hides a good tanning, I can't do that too well with what I have now." She reaches up for her bastard sword and a few sparks of electricity ripple down the blade. "I guess I'll have to go look for something around here before we bed down tonight. Otherwise...I'll go in whatever boat you think I'd work best in. I'm no magic user, though, so I'd appreciate any protection I could get."

Dr._Bob
2007-10-02, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, silver weapons are rare, and enchanted silver weapons are even rarer.

A total of 40 additional silver arrowheads and 20 silver-tipped crossbow bolts can be found. None are magical.

The Iron Lord sends a single enchanted silver longsword that was found in his personal armory as well as a brace of silver daggers.

Anika is a little bit uncomfortable being around so many silver weapons, but she suppressed a shiver and tries her best to look casual as the silver blades are examined by her friends.

The rings are returned by the wychlaran in the morning with brief descriptions of their powers ...

OOC: Brief summary in game terms below ...

Iron octagon (litrix/"armor") – ironskin (DR 15/adamantine)
Gold ring with three rubies (svent/"kill") – meteor swarm (x3)
Brass snake (darastrix/"dragon") – summons young adult dragon
Ornate gem encrusted ring (levethix/"wizard") – spell absorption (50 spell levels)
Cloisonne ring (ixen/"fire") – holy aura
Simple copper ring (sjach/"shadow") – unholy aura
Leather loop (osvith/"flee") - haste
White gold with black pearl (virlym/"thief") – +6 DEX
Silver filigree dragonfly (austrat/"fly") – fly, blur

You are awakened early in the morning and given a light breakfast before being escorted out of Immilmar on horseback ...

OOC: You might want to reconsider how the rings are distributed based on their powers/effects. I also need a final decision on who is traveling with whom.

The weapons are a +1 silver longsword and two silver daggers (non magical). I believe that silver weapons do -1 damage. Let me know who takes the extra silver arrows/bolts.

Diarmuid
2007-10-02, 12:59 PM
Tryntha

Tryntha listened and nodded along with just about everything Callos mentioned about vampires adding little except support for his information. Afterwards, a thought occurred to her that she thought could be important, actually she hoped with all her might it would be important, as the alternative was not terribly heartening,

"Callos is correct in his assessment of vampires. I can add little to what he said, and learned a few things myself. I think it should be mentioned however that we are likely to face many other kinds of undead while getting to the vampire Valentine. In fact, I hope that we do...and we are not walking into battle against an army of vampires. If we fail to best the fodder, then all of our preparations for Valentine will have been for naught. Some undead are best attacked with blunt weapons, with those of slashing variety proving to be the least effective."

As she mentions this, her gaze roams across the various sheathed swords, axes, and the like apparent on most of the fighter-types in the room.

"Of these lesser undead, most can be effected by simple, mundane items, so those from the armory here would be sufficient. I doubt zombies and skeletons will cause us much cause for alarm unless seen in large numbers. I dont think I need to explain the paralytic touch of the ghoul to you, as most of us bore witness to it first hand. Alternatively, ghasts look very similar to ghouls but exude a stench that can bring even the heartiest of warriors to his knees wretching they also can paralize with a touch or bite. Moving beyond those we could possibly see Wights, which appear as twisted reflections of whatever race they were before their souls were corrupted. They require nothing special to be attacked, but their touch should be avoided at all costs like that of a vampire. They will drain away your very essence, though not as fast as a vampire."

Turning the mask over and over in her hands, she shivers as if remembering some horrible memory of wights or vampires or something. Shaking herself out of it, she continues,

"If we encounter wraiths, we would be wisest to attack them with magics, or seek to destroy them with our holy prayers. Their bodies are...like a mist. While their touch is less insidious than that of a vampire or a wight, they can drain the fortitude from the most hearty of men in short order."

Turning towards Damian and Tanner, she turns her topic to that of their coordination of magic,

"There are magics than can reverse most of these effects, and I will be sure to prepare some of them before our journey. Damian, if you can...borrow..."

It is clear she is somewhat uncomfortable with this notion of her magic being taken from her, even if it is only temporary...supposedly,

"..these magics without expending them from my memory, this could indeed be a great boon for us. Some of these magics are among the most powerful I can prepare, and I can only prepare a very limited number of spells of that power. The spell Restoration is of the fourth tier, and I will be carrying only one of these, with my other fourth tier spell, Death Ward, being one that will protect someone for a time from any of the draining powers of the undead, and from some necromantic spells that seek to steal life. There is a lesser version of the Restoration spell that is of the second tier that I also plan on preparing. In that same tier is a spell that will remove paralysis from a group of people. In the third tier I will be doing as Tanner has suggested and will be preparing the Magic Circle spell, as well as an offensive spell that channels light into a beam that is especially effective against undead. My last spell is one I would suggest to those who do not know what better spells to prepare, and that is Dispel Magic. We are likely to run into spellcasters, and it can often be more effective to counter their spells than add your own to an already hectic spell battle."

Taking a few deep breaths after realising she had been speaking for so long, and in such a straightforward manner, Tryntha seeks to hide the blush she feels welling up behind her new mask. It is then that she realises that she is no longer fooled by the illusions layered over some of her companions. Her eyes go wide as she sees the beauty being hidden by Tiriel's magic.

Moving to stand nearer to Tanner, she whispers to him;

"I think I understand why you would wish for the transformation spell you employ to last as long as possible. On that subject however...are you planning on using your power to channel your spells for longer periods? It may be that our abilities are the most effective weapons against the undead in the days to come."

Erikkin
2007-10-02, 02:22 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at the daggers. Too big. Why are there never any normal sized daggers. He sighs and digs in his pack for a couple seconds. After he finishes, he has come up with a small vial. He places the vial next to one of the daggers. He looks at Anika. "I trust you'll be using this. It makes the dagger magical for a while. I assume it will work against Lady Valentine. I know you want to get her. I also assume Tiriel is going to use the sword."

OOC: Giving Anika the oil of bless weapon.

barawn
2007-10-02, 04:41 PM
Damian

"Unfortunately, when I take a spell from someone, it's gone, as if you had cast it. It may seem somewhat pointless - you could've just cast it yourself, after all - but the advantage is that you can cast something else while I cast the spell, so it accelerates things. In addition, in this case, when we're spreading out, it may be useful, although I'm only able to hold onto the spell for about an hour or so."

"Tryntha, I would recommend praying for at least one healing spell - even a weaker one - directly, since if you're injured past the point where you can heal yourself, I can use that spell to heal you."

He shrugs slightly. "Of course, in this case, facing an enemy who can turn our allies against us, it's also useful because if one of you two is charmed by the vampire, I can prevent that ally from using their spells against us."

"I'm also perfectly willing to loan my ring for this endeavor, but please do remember that it was given to me." Although I'd be perfectly happy with several of the others, of course.

blackfox
2007-10-02, 08:59 PM
Anika

Anika takes the silvered bolts, making sure not to touch the heads but only the wooden shafts. She replaces the bolts in her quiver with the silver bolts.

To Fizahn's offer, she says, "I already have the silver bolts, and we should have as many people able to hurt the vampires as possible." And I don't know whether I'd even be able to touch a silver weapon, let alone use it... "Use the dagger yourself, or if it's too clumsy for a shortsword for you, then give it to someone else who wants it."

An idea occurs to her suddenly. "Tanner--do you know how to make holy water? Our last cleric, Trinark, had a spell for making it, and if you had the same spell, it could be very useful for people who don't have enchanted silver weapons, or against the wraiths who can't be hurt by weapons."

namo
2007-10-02, 09:04 PM
Adalmar

Eyeing the silver-tipped arrows, Adalmar asks : "With Faluil gone, is there another archer remaining ? I already have a few such arrows, but since it is likely there will be more than one vampire..." He lets his sentence trail off.

Darius
2007-10-02, 10:11 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Anika

An idea occurs to her suddenly. "Tanner--do you know how to make holy water? Our last cleric, Trinark, had a spell for making it, and if you had the same spell, it could be very useful for people who don't have enchanted silver weapons, or against the wraiths who can't be hurt by weapons."

Tanner replies to Anika, "Yes, I do. However, know this: each flask needs to be tied with positive energy. The component that does that is powdered silver. It takes five pounds of silver to do so. If we are willing to give up such a commodity, then I shall do so."

Tanner then says, "However, I believe I have a better idea. If we take silver pieces and melt them down into bullet-sized pebbles, I can transform three of these missiles to be even more effective versus the undead than any vial of holy water would be. They would be both enchanted and silver; plus they would be filled with the positive energy of faith to do more damage against these creatures. If we were to get slings worked by a master craftsman, the success of slinging the stones would increase as well as allow us to cast the stones farther."

Tryntha

"I think I understand why you would wish for the transformation spell you employ to last as long as possible. On that subject however...are you planning on using your power to channel your spells for longer periods? It may be that our abilities are the most effective weapons against the undead in the days to come."

Tanner replies, "I shall transform myself so that I can be as Tiriel, but that will be all that I do. This will allow me to channel the divine energy of good to destroy undead abominations seven times."

He then informs her, "I think it also is wise for us to consider having the means to detect undead...if vampires can transform themselves into creatures like bats, they may use that to flank us."

Edit: Tanner continues, "If we are discussing spell selections, I do not plan on healing, but my belt has the ability to do so. Instead, I shall focus my divine magics to protecting the party, enchanting the silver stones, and enhancing myself so that I may be in the front ranks. If there are those of you who would rather have a specific weapon, like the silvered daggers, enchanted for a short time, I could do that at the sacrifice of a few first tier spells."

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-03, 02:34 PM
Callos

Callos sat quietly with the revelation of the rings various uses, eyes focused on Fizahn...That ring was dangerous if used improperly. Very dangerous. Very much unlike his own which could be a great boon if given to the right person. Rising from where he had been sitting, the necromancer approached Fizahn and twisted his ring off of his fingers.

"I'll trade rings with you Fizahn. I'm not going to lie, I think it may be hazardous to have a 'kill' ring in your specific hands but more importantly I think you could put the 'wizard' one to better use...like bargaining it to someone else for something that you want..." He said slyly, holding out his good hand to take the 'kill' ring and holding the 'wizard' one in his skeletal one. "Sound like a deal?"

Is there a 'Swindle Gnome' ability? :smallwink: If so I might need to know where it is since that logic is horrible. Sorta like saying 'I don't think you can handle it, so lemme use it cause I've always wanted a killing ring for when I'm really irritated'

Erikkin
2007-10-03, 03:33 PM
Fizahn:

"Flattery works a lot better Callos," Fizahn says, snatching the ring from Callos's skeletal hand and slipping it on. "See? Now I've got two rings. One extremely dangerous and one that protects me from your spells." He takes off his gold one and holds it in front of his eyes. "I'm hurt that you don't trust me with this. I would like to think that I'm the less likely one to use it. Giant balls of flaming death are not exactly stealthy." Fizahn sighs and tosses his ring to Callos. "I'm not going to barter it you fool. I think this might be the most valuable ring considering we're fighting a necromancer. Probably not so amazing against the vampires, though."

Koji
2007-10-03, 03:58 PM
Khazrael

All the discussion of specific spell preparation goes right over his head. He rolls his eyes at what he perceives to be too much planning, and instead imagines what a boat trip with three of the most stoic people he knows is going to be like.

Darius
2007-10-03, 05:46 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Once the discussion of spells is complete, Tanner says, "This silver sheen and the silver sling bullets will not come free." He reaches into his breastplate and pulls out a small purse. "These six stones are all that I have left. They are worth 300 gold, and they are yours to do with what you will. I only ask that we use whatever is remaining for silver powder and to make the silver sling stones."

Tanner will then inquire on getting masterwork slings from the Rashemi.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-03, 07:17 PM
The Rashemi will provide as many masterwork slings as Tanner desires.

Tiriel is given the silver longsword. Khazrael and Damian are given the silver daggers. The silver crossbow bolts are given to Anika, while the silver arrows are distributed between Retay and Grynde, both of whom have bows.

With Elthan, Tiriel, Fizahn, Callos and Khazrael all claiming rings, you are left with the iron octagon, the leather loop, the white gold/black pearl ring, and the cloisonne ring to distribute.

blackfox
2007-10-03, 07:20 PM
Anika

Tanner replies to Anika, "Yes, I do. However, know this: each flask needs to be tied with positive energy. The component that does that is powdered silver. It takes five pounds of silver to do so. If we are willing to give up such a commodity, then I shall do so."

Tanner then says, "However, I believe I have a better idea. If we take silver pieces and melt them down into bullet-sized pebbles, I can transform three of these missiles to be even more effective versus the undead than any vial of holy water would be. They would be both enchanted and silver; plus they would be filled with the positive energy of faith to do more damage against these creatures. If we were to get slings worked by a master craftsman, the success of slinging the stones would increase as well as allow us to cast the stones farther." Anika frowns. "That sounds expensive... I'll put my money in for the powdered silver, or to buy holy water from one of the temples if we can't find any silver. I'm not particularly good with a sling, though--if we buy well-made slings, someone else should get them."

Noticing that the rings have been returned, Anika retrieves the white gold/black pearl ring.

Matticus
2007-10-03, 11:41 PM
Grynde

Grynde watches as the others talk, noting in particular that Anika did not seem comfortable with the silver weapondry. After taking half the arrows and adding them to his new stockpile, he eyes the rings.
Without a shadow of a doubt, Grynde takes the cloisonne ring, and stares bluntly at anyone looking at him, daring them to argue the action.

Naleh
2007-10-04, 01:03 AM
Retay

The barbarian accepts his share of silvered arrows.

"This ring makes your skin like iron?" he says, indicating the black octagon. Finally showing some shred of strategy, he offers, "I get in close-up fights a lot, and this," - he gestures at his studded leather armour, looking ever more tattered since the avalanche and the frost worm - "doesn't protect me much. That ring could be very useful to me. If our hungover friend doesn't need it..."

Afterwards, he asks a Rashemi where he might be able to get a vial of "goldsheen" or whatever it was the others had suggested.

To conclude, he pulls his new longbow from his pack and stares at it intently, as if hoping to enchant it by sheer force of will.

namo
2007-10-04, 01:22 AM
Adalmar

He picks the leather loop back up, shrugging : "I will hold on to it for now. If this Valentine tries to make herself untouchable...

Also, I'll request a spell that strengthens natural defenses, which I will bestow to a warrior before the fight."

barawn
2007-10-04, 01:58 AM
Damian

When Grynde steps forward and reaches for the cloissone ring, Damian's dagger immediately flicks out into his hand, pointing at the ranger.

"No. Not so quickly." He walks over to Grynde, his dagger still in hand, glaring at him. "The ring is mine. It was given to me. Willingly. I said I would lend it to someone more deserving if needed. Believe it or not, I will lend it to you, because I do want this to succeed."

His eyes are harsh, and his voice cold and emotionless. "But make no mistake, Grynde. The ring is mine, and I expect it back, and I will get it back. If you give it to me, that's fine. If you do not, I will carve it from you if I have to, and do not doubt that I could."

"But before I let you even leave this room with that ring, I want your word that you will in fact return it to me. Do not make the mistake of thinking this is a game, and do not make the mistake of thinking I am not your match."

namo
2007-10-04, 02:41 AM
Adalmar

"It was given to you ? By whom ? I don't think we own the rings. From what little Callos, Aeroz and Elthan have said of that individual... Prozen, we just get to benefit from them because it serves him. I don't think getting too possessive is wise."

He would like to appease Damian's open hostility, but isn't quite sure how to achieve that.

barawn
2007-10-04, 04:24 AM
Damian

Damian glances over at Adalmar sharply. "By Fizahn. Callos at least did not object. If the ring wasn't his to give permanently, then it was at least his to give temporarily in return for my services, and presumedly," and he glances at Fizahn similarly sharply, "if the rings were recalled, Fizahn would similarly compensate me. But this isn't me being possessive. This is me insisting on Grynde at least showing some respect for the decisions of others that he has decided to work with."

He turns back to Grynde, his eyes narrowing. "If he's incapable of working with others at all, he's a danger to the rest of us, and there would be no point to him coming along. Any aid he would offer in combat would be more than offset by reckless behavior."

Erikkin
2007-10-04, 05:53 AM
Fizahn:

"Sorry. Didn't even cross my mind that the guy would want them back. I was assuming that they were payment for killing Sethra. I also think that given the high mortality rate of facing powerful necromancers, whoever gave them to us doesn't really expect them back at all. If they do take back the rings, I will compensate you Damian, although there's probably nothing I have worth as much as the ring." He glances down at his dagger. Except that, but it's a relic.

barawn
2007-10-04, 06:02 AM
Damian

His dagger still drawn, he nods to Fizahn. "No need to apologize. I expected you would. Right now, however, I would appreciate support for my statement that Grynde needs to learn to wait for the decision of the group as a whole before taking some stupid, rash action that, in the coming fight, could get us all killed."

Diarmuid
2007-10-04, 08:52 AM
Tryntha

Watching the aggravating exchange that seems completely unnecessary, the Rashemi woman turns her porcelain gaze upon Damian and his bared steel, folding her hands in front of her she speaks to him in a calm, sincere tone;

"Damian, I have decided that I would prefer you to refrain from using your magic-stealing abilities on me. If the magic would be lost to me, then I would prefer to use my better understanding of the magic and its application in the coming battles. These magics are a gift...freely given...from the spirits of this land, and I do not think they would look kindly on my entrusting them to...well to you to be honest. Your motivations seem to be centered on yourself and your payment, and you are too quick to resort to steel and threats when it seems neither are required. These are not the qualities of one who should be wielding the magics intended to protect and heal those of this land."

Koji
2007-10-04, 03:12 PM
Khazrael

A thought crosses his mind, and he speaks.

"Oh! I guess I don't need this--" He removes his dragonfly ring, "Anyone wanna trade?"

barawn
2007-10-04, 05:45 PM
Damian

Without turning to Tryntha at all, Damian issues a curt reply. "Please wait to talk to me until I have the freedom to reply, Tryntha. This situation has very little to do with my motivations or desires. All I'm curious is whether Grynde is going to continue following his own whims without any regard to what the rest of us decide as a group. And if he does," and with that, he slips the dagger back into his belt, "then I will be as far away from him as possible."

Matticus
2007-10-04, 05:58 PM
Grynde

Smirking at Damian, he holds up his left hand, middle finger raised, and slowly places the ring onto it. If you're so good, you don't need a ring...I hope this one doesn't bite.
Don't worry, Damian, I'll do what I'm told, like a good little half-elf he says, malice dripping from his voice like poison. And someday I'll give you back your ring, on a velvet pillow if you'd like. Would that makes things better between us? Because I would hate for us not to be friends. He says this rather savagely.
It's not your ring, Damian, but if you really want it back, ask me nicely. Manners don't cost much.
Also, this marks the third time you've threatened me. Please refrain from doing it again, it's quite rude.

(OOC: Yay. Is "The Finger" an actual concept in the Forgottem Realms? If not, then he's just being arrogant.)

Koji
2007-10-04, 06:29 PM
Khazrael

With a frown at Grynde's behavior, Khazrael briefly considers trading his ring to Grynde and giving that to Damian--but realizes that his own ring is far more useful.

"Damian."

Khazrael slides the dragonfly ring off of his finger and tosses it to the beleaguered mercenary.

kuja.girl
2007-10-04, 07:57 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel returns to the hall empty handed but happy to accept the silver long sword from the Iron Lord's men. After a moment of hesitation, she swaps her sword with the silver one, storing her flaming longsword in her pack. She watches the exchange between Damian and Grynde carefully and only steps forward after the half-elf's last statement.
"You're right Grynde, it's not his. Nor is it yours. So take the damned thing off your finger before I have to do it for you because while I may not know much about magic, I do know that we'll be better served with it on another's hand." Tiriel smiles grimly at the shorter man waiting to see his reaction.

[roll0]
[ooc: and yes, I think we'd better use the RULES (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm) for this intimidate check since it will make things easier. See ooc post for details]

Erikkin
2007-10-04, 08:56 PM
Fizahn:

"Okay Grynde. Very classy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go speak with the people who actually brought us the rings. Until they've made a decision, you can keep it." Fizahn says, extending his left hand towards Grynde to shake in a gesture of goodwill.

Matticus
2007-10-04, 09:15 PM
Grynde

He stares blankly at Tiriel, unfazed by her height or masculinity.
You're not as scary as you think, y'know.
He looks down at Fizahn and his extended appendage thoughtfully, before taking a step backwards from both of them and chuckling.
I wasn't born yesterday, my lightfingered friend. He seems to be enjoying himself.

Erikkin
2007-10-04, 09:29 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn drops his hand and grins. "I'm sorry for believing you were born yesterday. Maybe it had something to do with the way you treated me when we first met, despite my obviously having friends amongst the party. Not to mention my superior speed and training. You can't always think you know exactly what a person speaking a different language is saying Grynde." Fizahn then spits out a sentence in draconic. To the people who don't know draconic, it seems like he is insulting the violent half-elf. The party members who do know draconic, however, recognize that it is more along the lines of professing his undying love of cheese. He pulls out a gold piece and grins at Grynde once more. "I'd keep track of more than just your ring though, if I were you," he says, while flipping the coin into the air. On the final flip as he catches the coin, it disappears. "Right, going to talk to Callos and Elthan now." His grin fades as he turns to find the spellcasters.

[roll0]

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-04, 09:31 PM
Callos

"Knock it off, all of you. This is hardly a matter we need to get into another fight over, especially when theres such better things to do it over."

Callos said sharply as he approached this newest source of in-fighting and fitting the 'kill' ring unto his skeletal hand...logic held that less people would be willing to steal it. Inserting himself between the two arguing groups he looked back and forth between the two of them before his eyes settled on Fizahn and Damien.

"Theres no need to be hostile with him. He may be rude but he's not the enemy and we won't treat him like one, will we?" He said, empathizing the last word with a glare before turning to Grynde fully. When next he spoke his words were guile-less and open, unlike when he had first spoken to him. "Grynde...I'm not going to speak down to your or insult you. This is too serious for that, but Damien brings up a point. Are you going to see this through to the end? The very end? Thats what taking that ring means, that you'll not stop until Sethra is defeated...no until he's dead for good. If you drop out later, then thats it. I'll not have this matter treated like a hobby you can pick up whenever you feel like it. But if your willing to swear, to swear on your elven blood and life, that you'll see this through...then I'm willing to give you the chance to prove it. So whats your answer? If you won't...or plan on selling that ring...then just hand it back right now, no bad feelings for it at all. This is a bit overwhelming for some so if you don't want to be cemented into this, I can understand."

King_of_GRiffins
2007-10-04, 09:52 PM
Elthan

Elthan simply stares at his simple ring with great interest, more than such a plain magical trinket deserves. He seems almost captivated in thought about it, but doesn't actually formalize or follow through with anything that comes to mind about it, simply letting his subconscious run about circular object. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to what's being said around him, but as Callos hands Grynde his do-to-die statement, he mutters out loud as if a merely a chorus to a play.

"He won't do it you know. I sense no dedication from him, and he hates himself to much to do anything for others. Besides, I've seen bigger heads produced by plants."

He quickly looks up from his hypnotic state as he hears his name, turning his dull gaze to the gnome. "You require something Fizahn?"

Matticus
2007-10-04, 10:35 PM
Grynde

His eyes roam the immediate area, from the pair of taller people who've recently threatened him, to the shorter one who'd tried rather poorly to steal back the ring, then to the necromancer directly before him, the only one not obviously trying to get the better of him. Thinking, for once, before he speaks.
...I can't say I'll be here until the end. With the way things are going he gestures towards Damian and Tiriel I probably won't be here tomorrow. But this Sethra prick he lifts his head upward, baring the fresh scar a ghoul implanted upon his neck has some things to answer for. I'll tell you what. If I suddenly get the urge to leave, I'll give you the ring. But I specificly WON'T give it to those three. Another gesture in the direction of Tiriel, Damian and Fizahn. He chuckles, and switches his gaze to Elthan.
And you, murderer, can talk about decency, huh? Just to prove you wrong, half-human... I swear on my Elven blood that I, Grynde, will do my utmost to aid the majority of you in this quest to defeat Sethra and anybody willingly associated with him.
I just don't hold much stock in my blood...

barawn
2007-10-04, 10:36 PM
Damian

Also, this marks the third time you've threatened me. Please refrain from doing it again, it's quite rude.

"Good. I'm glad you've realized that. Now you can stop threatening other party members as well, and I'll stop threatening you. Then we can move on to finer points of social etiquette."

With that statement, a good amount of the hostility in Damian's stance fades out - almost as if a switch had been flipped - and his typical emotionless pallor comes quickly back. When Tiriel and Callos begin questioning him, he merely stands there quietly. He swiftly catches Khazrael's toss of a ring, and nods to him, glancing back at the active argument with an unsaid "later" passing between them.

When Grynde finishes with his speech, a look of frustration shows up on his face and he rolls his eyes. "What in the world makes you think that the rest of us should work with you, then, Grynde? I left that ring there for whomever the group decided to give it to. Even you. But you took it without even asking, and now you say you won't give it to three of us, regardless of what the rest of the group decides."

With a quick glance over to Tryntha, he looks around at the others. "This is what I meant when I said this had nothing to do with me. Right now, it's a ring that Grynde grabbed for. Next, it may be a room that he charges into before the rest of us are ready. Or a trap he sets off. Tanner stated it eloquently before, but said simpler, we have to work together, and Grynde simply shows no willingness to do that."

He sighs, and his shoulders shrug slightly. "I'm certainly being too harsh, but I don't see how Grynde, if he continues to act like this, isn't more of a liability than an asset, and I would love for someone to explain to me why I'm wrong."

King_of_GRiffins
2007-10-04, 11:03 PM
Elthan

Elthan seems to grin just a bit as you attack his 'decency'. His own wit was dull from bad magic and poor use, but he was sure he would only need half of his wit with this one."Murderer or not, I know I have more civility and tact than you seem to observe. I doubt that gesture moments ago was preserved for polite company."

Alert now, he pockets his ring before continuing his rebuttal. "But, swearing on your Elven blood to me? Simply, you are as Elven as a brick; That oath does not count for much coming from you. If you must, swear on your human side. You seem to hold that in higher regard."

Matticus
2007-10-04, 11:17 PM
Grynde

He stares at Elthan, temper rising quickly. He struggles to control it as Damian and Elthan verbally assult him. He turns towards Damian.
See, this pathetic excuse for a half-elf is the reason I threaten other people in the party. First it was Khazrael, manipulating me through magic. Then it was Fizahn, who suggested I was a coward. And now it's this prick he gestures at Elthan saying things I'm going to find it hard to forget. If any of you actually want this ring back, maybe you should stop making me threaten you. And you he rounds of Elthan can shut the bloody hell up right now before I become the second half-elf murderer in this party.

kuja.girl
2007-10-04, 11:34 PM
Tiriel

"Enough! All of you!" Tiriel shouts looking at Damian, Grynde, and Elthan. For the moment, she seems to have forgotten that she'd been the one to further provoke Grnyde.
"Damian, you can use Khazreal's ring or I can pay you, it's you're choice.
Elthan, just.... just, shut up. You're not helping things. And you," she says rounding back on Grynde, "Can start proving that you're worth more than trouble by acting like an adult and not a snippity child. Everything you accuse us of is something you've provoked out of us with your attitude. Just don't ever, ever, joke about murdering someone. That's the last thing we need right now."

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-04, 11:35 PM
Callos

"Grynde...you must stop taking everything everyone says so personally. We all insult and play pranks on each other, but we don't threaten to kill. Turn the other cheek is the best policy for us all to get along here, alright?"

Callos said evenly, trying not to show the anger that was currently boiling inside of him. Nobody should be threatening to kill Elthan, not when he was trying to right his own wrongs. And especially not when Callos was around and still thought highly of him, but he had seen Grynde react to honesty and diplomacy instead of threats and insults so he'd give it a shot...despite what his instincts were telling him.

"Remember Grynde..you can't do this alone. None of us can so we need to look out for each other. I'm willing to...try to look out for you and everybody else but I want the same sort of feeling, not that you'll knife someone in their sleep for a slight. And I'm not saying you aren't capable...but you don't know what we're up against and you don't have all the skills needed. So I'm asking you nicely...don't take everything personally. If you get angry then come talk to me about it and we'll resolve things right, not with killing people..." Callos said helpfully, laying a friendly hand on the half-elf's shoulder. Still he didn't raise his voice or become condescending, he knew how hard it was to avoid one's instincts.

...But so help me, if you touch a hair on anybody's head I'll put you down like a diseased dog.

kuja.girl
2007-10-04, 11:45 PM
Tiriel

A prank!?! That's not all it was! There's something else going on in there... well when I'm involved at least...
Yeah. Go to Callos. Because he's the least likely one to suddenly act on impulse....and fry a wolf, or throw his skeletal hand at people...

internal monologue: Always good for a laugh, and the last word :smallwink:

Matticus
2007-10-04, 11:56 PM
Grynde

With nothing but glares for Tiriel, he listens to Callos, knowing what he said to be true.
I'd never kill someone in their sleep. Although I don't suppose you'd take my word for it. He glances at the hand on his shoulder, and thinks better than to shrug it off.
I can't gaurrantee anything. But I wouldn't mind if someone taught me just how to activate this ring.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-05, 12:01 AM
Callos

"Your right, I can't take your word for it. Not yet anyway. But I'll make you a deal...I'll teach you how to use the ring and in return you tell me a little about yourself. I'm curious about how you became you. Deal? We can have the actual talk later in private of course." Callos said, shrugging his shoulder and glancing over his shoulder at Tiriel, asking her to back off with his usually sleepless eyes. Turning back to Grynde he extended his good hand and waited expectantly.

Matticus
2007-10-05, 12:15 AM
Grynde

He hesitates; obviously uncomfortable sharing his past with anyone.
I don't discuss that...I can tell you a little. But I will not go into any great detail...Alright?
Putting a great deal of trust into Callos not "doing a Fizahn", he stiffly extends an appendage and shakes hands with Callos.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-05, 07:58 AM
You ride away from the city to the south, just a small group riding on horseback, except for Aeroz, who is carried in a small cart.

Some rings are exchanged, and several of you bicker and argue along the way, hardly paying attention to where you are going ...

As dawn breaks to the east, you are led to some desolate cliffs, pockmarked by caves, at the edge of Lake Ashane.

The sky to the west remains dark and stars are still visible on the horizon, while the sky lightens behind you. A few gulls circle overhead and cry as small waves crash against the shore.

The fourteen of you, plus your Rashemi escort - two young warriors - dismount, your boots crunching on the pebbly beach. The warriors tie the horses to lead lines and ride off, back toward Immilmar to the north, leaving you alone on the desolate shore.

The air is chilly and damp. Despite your gear, some of you shiver.

Koji
2007-10-05, 01:44 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael stares lazily at the birds and stifles a yawn.

"So...what," He says, "Are we waiting for these magic boats I keep hearing about?"

blackfox
2007-10-05, 05:25 PM
Anika

Anika stays quietly unobtrusive throughout the argument, ready to disappear if a fight breaks out.

When the group reaches the shore, she says, "I don't know... I don't really know what's going on here. We had talked earlier about breaking into smaller groups--are we going to do that now?"

Darius
2007-10-06, 11:26 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Damian

He sighs, and his shoulders shrug slightly. "I'm certainly being too harsh, but I don't see how Grynde, if he continues to act like this, isn't more of a liability than an asset, and I would love for someone to explain to me why I'm wrong."

Tanner watches as the party implodes. He says nothing but listens intently. Part of him is disgusted with everyone's behavior, but another part of him is glad - for this is the first time any member of the group actually seemed to care about the group instead of themselves...other than the rings, that is.

Then, there is Damian. Knowing that if he spoke up to answer the mercenary's question, he would be a hypocrite, but Tanner does think to himself, "He has been an asset bringing us closer together. I trust him more than I do you, Damian. I wonder where your loyalties will lie if our enemy offers to pay more than we?"

Tanner waits until the party is traveling before he approaches Grynde. Speaking to him he says, "I trust that you will do your best. I am glad that you are with us. The others may not have noticed, but I have - Grynde, you have been working to temper yourself. I know that this is difficult, for I am trying not to be so vocal. But, I wanted you to know that I am proud of you and your efforts. Do not let what happened earlier be a setback. I would be glad to have you in my boat." Tanner rests his hand on Grynde as he speaks his last sentence, then continues his trek.

barawn
2007-10-06, 01:31 PM
Damian

After the firestorm breaks, and the party sets out, Damian ties several loose threads during the travel to the beach. He heads first over to Khazrael, since he had given him his former ring, speaking quietly as they ride. There's no hint of the sharpness in his voice or demeanor from the previous day, which had, in fact, disappeared later into the argument in any case. "I really don't need a ring, so if you were trying to give it to me to 'make up' for Grynde, you don't need to worry about that. Fizahn said he'd pay me. I don't really care when, considering I've got a job to do first, and strange as it may seem, I actually trust him to do so. If you want the ring back, or there's a better person for it, just let me know."

(and to save time...) He also heads over to Tryntha later - his voice is less quiet this time. "You seem to have some distorted opinions of my intentions, Tryntha. Do I look like someone who cares about money? Khazrael has more adornments than I've ever had, and I freely stated that if someone else would want the ring for the battle, they're welcome to it. The money isn't important. It's the intention behind it. Fizahn could've offered me an old trinket from his mother, worth nothing, and I still would've taken it, so long as it had some importance to him."

"When someone hires me, it's much less about the money and much more about them clearly offering something of value to them because they value what I can do. In return, they get my loyalty. I don't go jumping to the highest bidder. Why would I? Someone who merely offered me more clearly thinks very little of me."

"As for me being quick to draw steel - I've only drawn a weapon on Grynde, and that's only because he's threatened others and repeatedly shown no interest in what the group wants. I don't think I was too quick at all. He's a danger to the rest of us - and to himself - as long as he continues to act without care for the rest of our opinions."

"Last... you're freely entitled to your opinion, and unlike others, I do actually respect others' wishes. But in my opinion, you're risking yourself, and others, with the stance you took on my abilities back there. Combat is not a time to concern yourself with ethics and morality. I don't use other people's abilities on a whim. In fact, I typically don't do that at all unless the person in question asked me to. The one time I have used it here it was because Tanner wanted me to try to heal Olfacht while he went to rescue the rest. If you want to keep that stance, like I said, that's your choice, it doesn't bother me at all. But you're not limiting me. You're limiting yourself."

He sighs, and spares a glance around to the rest of the party. "I tried to make it as clear as I could three days ago. When someone hires me, I'm hired until that job is over, period. It's... not about the payment." His face looks a little strained... as if struggling to come to grips with something, and his voice drops to a near whisper. "It's about being valued."

Frojoe21
2007-10-06, 09:10 PM
Aeroz

Waking up when the party reaches their destination, Aeroz steps off his cart in a rather groggy state. Unclear of what has happened in the past few hours, he does notice that there was a rather dramatic change of scenery.

"I'm going to leave the filling me in on what has happened up to this point for another time, but could someone please refresh my memory of what exactly are we doing here? Also, what happened to that nice ring I snatched earlier?"

Sensing the tension in the air, he backs off and waits for an almost assuredly irritated response.

[OOC: I'm back!]

Erikkin
2007-10-06, 10:06 PM
Fizahn:

"Aeroz. How nice of you to get up. We're assassinating a vampire. It seemed like the thing to do under the current situation. Your ring was given to someone else. We felt it would be more advantageous for a conscious person to have it, sorry." Fizahn leans in closer to Aeroz and starts to whisper. "If you want to snatch one, I'm sure everyone would much rather you had it than Grynde."

Darius
2007-10-07, 08:55 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens to the loud conversation between Damian and Tryntha because he was supposed to overhear it, obviously. He does his best to not roll his eyes as he thinks to himself, "Those that pray and profess themeselves loudly and in full view of others do so in order to give the facade of faith. I think the same goes for you, Damian. You profess this and say that money isn't what is important, but the intention behind it is. What are YOUR intentions, I wonder?"

Once at the place, Tanner says to the group, "It seems that we need to split into our groups. Have we made our final decisions regarding who will be in which boat, who will have which ring, and who has the silversheen and silver weapons?"

blackfox
2007-10-07, 09:05 AM
Anika

Anika rolls her eyes. "We haven't made any decisions about anything, yet. People have made their own decisions about what weapons to take and so on, and as far as the silversheen goes, it's pretty simple--whoever doesn't have a silver weapon gets silversheen. The rings might take some work, as well as the groups."

Koji
2007-10-07, 10:16 AM
Khazrael

"Hey, come on now, it's a nice day, and for probably the last time for a good while, we're not standing on the edge of certain doom. Let's all try and relax," says Khazrael.

kuja.girl
2007-10-07, 12:52 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel backed off after Callos, somehow, managed to calm the half-elf down. While not happy that Grynde still has one of the rings, Tiriel doesn't feel like pushing things too far before a battle.
"We shouldn't forget that we're probably not going to face just the vampires. Last time there were three of them, two or three demonic horses,* a bunch of bats, and a hoard of skeletons. The silver weapons aren't as strong as steel and blades don't work very well at all against skeletons so really, not all of us need silver weapons.
"The rings on the other hand," and she glances at Grnyde and Callos before continuing, "Are helpful against any foe. So we should make sure to distribute them to those who can make the best use of them. Well, that's what I think any ways."
Tiriel smiles at Khazreal, "Yeah we'll see how long that lasts. But I guess you're right, we might as well enjoy what we can when we can."

* Nightmares. There were the 2 that came after us in the building and maybe another that Valentine was still riding.

Naleh
2007-10-07, 01:09 PM
Retay

The barbarian mostly ignored the fight, much as one would ignore a pair or squabbling dogs. He continued to glare at his nonmagical bow.

When Khazrael declares the goodness of the day, Retay turns to him. "Aren't we? It looks like the edge of certain doom to me. Well... someone's doom, at least."

Grunting, the barbarian drops his pack and sits down on the pebbly shore, watching the sunrise and waiting...

Dr._Bob
2007-10-07, 03:30 PM
Three boats appear silently out of the darkness to the west.

Each of the boats is a two masted felucca, but none has sails raised. The boats appear to move under their own power, leaving a clean V-shaped wake behind. "Witchboats ..." someone whispers for those of you not familiar with these uniquely Rashemi vessels.

Standing at the prow of two of the vessels is a masked hathran. The third vessel is pilotless, and is being towed by one of the others.

The boats crunch into the shore, and the hathrans beckon you aboard. "Quickly! The others have sailed on ahead ..."

The first boat is weathered and gray. Its hathran wears a long gray dress.

The second boat has been recently painted with red and gold trim, giving it an almost gaudy, festive appearance. Its hathran wears complementary yellow robes.

The third boat has no pilot. It is shiny and black with sleek lines than make you think of an obsidian dagger.

Koji
2007-10-07, 04:29 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael gives the yellow-robed hathran a grin and hops into the red and gold boat, admiring its flashy design.

"We'll look good sailing to our doom, at least."

Darius
2007-10-07, 09:45 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner's brow furrows with Anika's short comments. Tanner holds up the canister and says, "Very well, Anika. Is there one among us who needs this silversheen?" He then looks about and will continue, "Since time is of the essence, I have pieced some of the comments addressed by the group. Are these boat groupings acceptible to everyone?

The gray boat here will be Anika, Khaz, Retay, and myself.
The red boat will be Adalmar, Elthan, Grynde, Tiriel.
And the black boat will be Aeroz, Callos, Damian, Fizahn, Gala.

It may be helpful if we use the color of the boat to denote a need of the group to go someplace or attack a certain foe. For instance, 'Gray - attack the demon horses.'

Finally, there is the matter of the octagon ring. Retay has spoken up and has a sound arguement for using the ring. I think it will be wise to have it in his hands."

barawn
2007-10-07, 10:18 PM
Damian

"I could use silversheen if there's any available. I'll survive without it, but I could use it. The wand made it so I couldn't really afford any myself."

When Tanner lists the groups, he winces slightly, but recovers quickly. "It might make sense to switch Tiriel with Retay or Gala. Tiriel is likely to work best with people she knows best, such as Anika or Fizahn. Other than that I have no disagreements. I'm presuming that Tryntha is intended to go in the black boat." And far away from Grynde. They both have tempers, they don't like each other, and I don't trust Grynde to be able to control his.

namo
2007-10-08, 04:04 AM
Adalmar

Leaving Immilmar and getting closer to danger weighed on his mind, so he found himself drawn to his usual quietness again.

He sighs inward when he realizes he's being saddled with the 'difficult cases'. I'll just have to find a way to make them go along. Outwardly, he seems well-prepared for the fight to come : his bow at the ready, strung with a brand new string, a mix of silver and mundane arrows in his quiver.

He heads for the gray boat, letting Kir take flight from his hand. The hawk's piercing sight will be useful to detect anything out of the ordinary.

Erikkin
2007-10-08, 08:21 AM
Fizahn:

"I've got no objections to that. You might want to switch gray boat and red boat though because Khaz already decided which boat he wanted." Fizahn walks over to the black boat. He waits for 'captain' Tryntha to get in before following her.

Koji
2007-10-08, 09:08 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael frowns at Tanner's take-charge attitude, but for lack of a more grounded plan, simply goes along with it.

((OOC: Hopped on the red boat to get things moving. If he has to move to gray, so be it))

Diarmuid
2007-10-08, 10:02 AM
Tryntha

The porcelain mask hides any physical response the Rashemi woman might have to Damian's words. By way of response she merely states flatly,

"I have made my wishes known. Much as you have made your opinions and intentions known. The fact that you are completely unwilling to undertake these actions without some form of compensation only confirms and strengthens my stance that you are unfit to wield the powers granted to me to keep these lands healthy and her people safe."

When Tiriel begins talking about their last encounter, Tryntha cant help but think to herself,

"I wish they had mentioned the demons before. I could have prepared a spell to banish them back to whence they came. At least the magic circle spells should have similar effects against creatures of the other planes."

When the angelic woman mentions the weapons Tryntha reminds the group,

"Those with silver ammunition should remain close to me so I can enchant them. We will have to wait until we are ready to assault the vampires as the enchantment will only last a few minutes. I also have a scroll with a similar enchantment if Tanner has not prepared a similar spell, but that enchantment will last even less time, barely lasting one minute."

As the boats pull up, Tryntha moves immediately to the pilotless black boat and takes up a position similar to the hathrans in the other vessels.

DrB, does Tryntha know how to power/pilot one of these things? If you need any rolls from me, let me know.

Darius
2007-10-08, 03:03 PM
Tanner Gondsman

After turning to nod at Fizahn and says, "Thank you, Fizahn." Tanner returns his gaze to the others and notices that Khaz has jumped into the colorful boat. He says, "I guess we'll amend the plan, then..."

Tanner will turn to Damian, "Damian, perhaps we should have you take the spells from me and be in the other boat? That way, your boat could have the magic circle and other of my spells at the ready?

A small switch would be...

The red boat here will be Anika, Khaz, Retay, and myself.
The gray boat will be Adalmar, Elthan, Damian, Tiriel.
And the black boat will be Aeroz, Callos, Grynde, Fizahn, Gala with Tryntha as pilot.

So, if anyone has objections to this set up, now would be the best time to voice them."

Tanner pauses, giving the party time to voice any concerns they have. Barring any difficulties. Tanner has noticed some of the party doesn't seem to want to work together, and he hopes this is the best way to solve those differences.

Tanner will say to Tryntha and Damian who is close by, "I have one such spell that will enchant a weapon; it will last for nearly 15 minutes. I was planning on enchanting Retay's axe with that. I also will enchant these silvered stones we melted down from the silverpieces and issue the stones to any who would like them. I can make six in all. They will remain enchanted for twice the time of the other spell. These slings will help improve the aim of any who use them. Might I suggest that Damian takes the magic circle, a magic stone spell, and the lesser vigor spell from me before we depart?"

"Aeroz, while you were...incapacitated...talk of allowing Retay to use the iron octagon ring was voiced. From what I was told, you are quite the swordsman, and are more apt to avoid blows while in combat. What we have witnessed of Retay Wyrmslayer is that his axeskills are unmatched, but his ability to side-step or avoid blows could use some work. Allowing him to use the ring will increase his chances for survival, and ultimately, it will assist your group...as well as all of ours. Don't feel that you will be empty handed, for Damian has requested this jar of silversheen, but I think that it would be better served on your steel if the need arose since Damian has a wand he can use against the undead. However, that is for the two of you to decide." Tanner holds out the jar of silversheen.

kuja.girl
2007-10-08, 04:26 PM
Tiriel

Unsurprisingly Tiriel isn't happy being placed in a boat with Elthan and Grynde. But she doesn't want to be the first, or worst, the only one, to complain and hold things up. Grudgenly she goes and joins Adalmar and the grey robed hathran in drab boat.

She goes and takes a seat next to Adalmar, sitting down heavily and crossing her arms across her chest. "This should be fun." she mumbles.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-08, 05:50 PM
As soon as Elthan, Damian and Tiriel join Adalmar in the gray boat, the hathran backs the boat away from the shore and begins the journey to the west.

Retay, Anika, and Tanner join Khazrael in the red boat, and momentarily they too set off across the Lake.

Tryntha's experience has been primarily with smaller witchboats, but she finds the felucca similarly enchanted, and she has no trouble navigating the larger warboat. Once Aeroz, Callos, Grynde, Fizahn and Gala have settled in, she follows her sisters out into the Lake.

The sky lightens behind you as your sail westward. Once Rashemen has vanished from view, the other hathrans seem to relax slightly. It is hoped that you were able to sneak out of Immilmar and board the boats without alerting any potential spies of Lady Valentine.

Your mission will be perilous enough without giving up whatever small advantage you may have by attacking with surprise.

It is hours into the first day that you realize the full scope of this assault. As the morning mists burn off the surface of the Lake, and as your three boats catch up with the main group, you are treated to the sight of at least sixty other warboats scattered to port and starboard. Each of the boats carries a squad of berserkers who will support your assault on the vampire's base.

Most of the other boats are not controlled by hathrans, but you can see that they are expertly piloted by sail and by oar when necessary.

The day passes uneventfully, and as you continue to sail toward the setting sun and visibility drops, one by one the other boats vanish from sight. You sail on through the starry, moonless night. One by one, the boats check in using a simple link between the hathrans, including Tryntha.

Around midnight, the small armada halts to allow the hathrans to rest. At Tryntha's request, your three boats converge to allow each of you to converse quietly and continue to plan your assault.

blackfox
2007-10-08, 07:18 PM
Anika

Anika gets into the red boat without complaint; she had heard the same groups the night before and had no problem with her own group. I pity Tiriel, though... although it could be Callos in her group instead of Elthan, which would be an excellent way to mess everything up.

[hr]

When the vessels stop, Anika looks around. "Are we there yet?" she says to herself.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-09, 01:19 AM
Callos

You know...maybe..just maybe we have a chance... Callos allowed himself to think with a rare non-malicious smile as he saw the gathered warboats along with the ones that they themselves traveled in. Taking to the time to look around for any semi-private spot, he then sought out perhaps the most irritable person he had ever met besides himself. Pointedly reminding Grynde about his promise, he'd guide the half elf to the previously found spot to hear a little about him and teach him how to use his ring...

You can put it up Grynde's response in the Private Chats thread or this one Matticus, doesn't matter to me.

Once that was done though, the necromancer soon sought out another person who had recently become interesting to him, the newly risen hathran. Standing a little awkwardly beside her for a long moment before he found himself able to speak. "I suppose I should apologize for not thanking you for your aide before Tryntha, but I was...distracted by everything going on there. If you hadn't noticed we are a bit diversified in out motives and intentions." He said dryly, eyes out across the lake to where the witch boat was taking him.

Idly twisting the svent ring on his finger before he turned back to her, eyes glittering with curiousty. "So...what exactly are the hathrans? Your specific sect of Rashemi culture has actually been of a lot of interest to me since the first one I met, I guess it's because the mask hints at mystery...I'd like to know more about you as well...like what you think of all this matter, your actual opinion and not what you feel you must do. Or your feelings on necromancy and mercenaries. The second mostly because of how you reacted to Damien...he's a decent man you know..

barawn
2007-10-09, 01:35 AM
Damian

Damian looks around from the boat with Elthan and Tiriel with dread as he sees the vast scope of the endeavor. He lightly fingers the wand at his belt nervously, fidgeting somewhat. The water clearly bothers him.

He glances over to Elthan as they travel. "Elthan - I have to ask you. How much do you trust me? I know you haven't known me very long, but as I tried to make it clear with Tryntha, I don't take using my abilities with my comrades lightly. They're useful, but I don't need them, and they're definitely not worth getting me killed over. If you've got a great objection to me using your spells, feel free to say so. But you can definitely know that I won't just take them for no reason. For one thing, you have to let me take them in any case."

He leans back slightly in the boat, trying to relax... but clearly failing. "For reference, the only time I've thought about taking a spell was when Khazrael was paralyzed when we fought a frost wyrm. That should give you an idea - I don't think about doing that unless the situation is desperate."

"You also never really explained what you are. I'm... pretty sure I can use your spells, but... you're a bit weird. It's like all of my instincts are screwy with you."

(later...)

When the ships pull together, Damian tries to keep a relaxed look on his face as he looks around to the others, and specifically to Adalmar. "Please, please tell me that you know enough about this place that we can formulate some sort of a plan, and that we're not about to charge into a pretty major battle with no clue."

edit: (OOC: forgot to address the earlier silversheen question) When Tanner mentions the silversheen and suggests giving it to Aeroz, Damian quickly nods. "Definitely, Aeroz, if you can use it, go ahead. I can do more with the wand than with a dagger in any case."

Naleh
2007-10-09, 02:02 AM
Retay

The barbarian gives Tanner one of his rare grins, and reaches over his shoulder to rest a hand on his greataxe. "She's already enchanted," he says proudly, apparently referring to the axe. "She'll cut those vampires down."

(later)

In the red boat, Retay hunches over, tense. He answers questions shortly or not at all. He stares across the Lake with a fierce glint in his eye.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-09, 09:23 AM
Each boat has an ample supply of food and water for the two day trip and return. After tonight, there will be another day's worth of travel across the Lake, then you will time your landing on the opposite shore so that you arrive at dawn on the third day.

Adalmar recalls the ruins he played in as a teenager. Though setting foot in the City of Weeping Ghosts was strictly forbidden by the village elders, there was no way to keep the inquisitive adolescents of Kront from sneaking into the ruins on a dare or just out of curiosity. It was a long journey to the north from Kront, but it could be done in a day on a good horse.

Still, no teen, no matter how bold or foolish, ever stayed in the ruined city when the sun went down. Besides the old wives' tales of children (and adults) vanishing and never being seen again, there were the low moans and chilly winds that appeared out of nowhere, even in the middle of the day, that raised the teens' hackles and sent them scurrying back home with exaggerated stories to tell.

Adalmar recalls that the city was organized into a series of seven concentric circles. The outermost circles were little more than slight humps in the ground at this point, but by the third or fourth circle, the ruined stones poked up out of the ground enough to provide enough cover for a decent game of hide-and-seek.

The seventh, or most innermost, circle was a nearly intact black wall of stone, breached at its eastern side by an unimaginable force, leaving an enormous "V". Within its interior rose a ruined tower, not dissimilar in appearance to those of the watchtowers lining the western shore of the Lake.

If Lady Valentine had established a base in Shandaular, no doubt she would have chosen to make the ruined black tower her keep. From its crumbling ramparts, she could watch over the Lake towards Rashemen or take flight on one of her nightmares ...

"It is the only structure left standing with any style," observed Adalmar.

Adalmar's storytelling is interrupted when Grynde, who had been huddled in one of the feluccas with Callos, suddenly bursts into flame ...

OOC: Grynde takes 1 point of damage.

Diarmuid
2007-10-09, 10:05 AM
Tryntha

Tryntha had been enjoying the night under the stars on the boat. Callos's interest surprised her. Callos surprised her. He disgusted her on some levels, but she couldnt help but find herself intrigued.

"If we succeed in this, we can sit together and discuss many things over some jhuild."

She would not let her fascination with him override her duty. That very secrecy he spoke of was an important facet of Rashemi society, especially as it pertained to outsiders.

As she sat, running through her prayers in her head cataloging the magics she had prepared for the days ahead the eruption of flames spurred her into action.

Knowing how sounds carry over the water, she hissed sharply, but softly,

"Put him out or toss him over, that light will be seen for miles!"

As she finished, her hands began weaving through intricate gestures as she mouthed words of power

Cast Dispel Magic on Grynde

A few caster level checks for whatever might be effecting him at the moment:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

If you need more, just feel free to roll em yerself DrB.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-09, 11:04 AM
Tryntha attempts to suppress the effects of the magic ring to no avail. The flames surrounding Grynde are pure white and nearly blinding, but they radiate no heat and do not seem to be actually consuming any of Grynde's clothing or gear. Nevertheless, Grynde grimaces from pain as the holy aura burns him as if from the inside out.

Some cries of alarm can be heard from the other boats scattered across the water as Grynde lights up the Lake.

OOC: Grynde takes 1 point of damage.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-09, 12:02 PM
Callos

"Grynde!" Callos exclaimed loudly, scurrying back as the flames erupted with surprise on his face, what following next being a long string of curses in Undercommon and Draconic as he scrambled to his feet. Having the half-elf suddenly say the command word for the ring on his finger had not been something that Callos had been expecting to happen and he stared wide eyed as Tryntha tried to suppress it's effects.

"Say it again! Say 'ixen' again and turn off the bloody ring before it burns you from the inside out!" Callos exclaimed loudly, looking towards the shore they were headed towards to see if there might be movement though he couldn't hope to see anything from where he was. When, if, the ring turns off a relieved smile would come to his face as he helped pull Grynde up from the deck and laugh shakily, patting the half-elf on the back with his good hand. "Grynde, you know theres easier ways to kill yourself then immolation right? Don't startle me like that!"

After making sure that his rather dark and depressing companion was alright, Callos's head swiveled over to the hathran and he gave a brief nod to her. "I'd like that..though I admit I want to press for an earlier discussion date since I can't know if both of us will survive our current endeavor...or have jhuild around when we finish...what ever that is."

Koji
2007-10-09, 01:27 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael watches Grynde burn from his spot aboard the red boat.

"What the hells are they doing over there? If they wanted to kill him, they could have done something less visible!"

Matticus
2007-10-09, 01:37 PM
Grynde

From his slightly painful vantage point inside and outside the fire, Grynde screeches rather loudly one word, and tries to rip the ring off his finger with trembling hands.
IXEN!

Dr._Bob
2007-10-09, 01:43 PM
As quickly as it appeared, the holy aura vanishes and darkness returns to the Lake, leaving a Grynde-shaped afterimage temporarily burned into your retinae.

Grynde appears to be no worse for the wear externally, though he is sweating and looks uncomfortable. He pulls the cloisonne ring off of his middle finger and glares at it.

Darius
2007-10-09, 03:27 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner smiles back at Retay's comment regarding his axe. "Very good, then, Wrymslayer. May it cleave many enemies."

Once everyone is aboard and skimming over the water, Tanner looks around to those in the boat with him. He was glad to have Retay with him. Looking the large man over, Tanner could not help but admire him. He could tell that he was a good soul, but he was worried that the barbarian would fall. Tanner silently vowed that he would do everything in his power to prevent that.

Then, Tanner looks at Anika. Her shocks of golden hair were quite different than when he first met her. She also changed her name. In addition, it seems her personality has changed. This concerned Tanner, for her curt comments and identity crisis was foreign to him. "It seems that she is hiding something, but I don't quite know what," Tanner thinks to himself.

Speaking of mysteries, Tanner looks at the feather-locked Khazrael. Talk about enigmas, this one takes them all. It is apparant to Tanner that outsiders are among this group, but while Tiriel is the light of day, Khaz seems to be that of the night. It seems that Khaz is working to overcome his heritage, but Tanner knows that he cannot do so alone.

Tanner then looks overboard and looks for his own reflection in the lake. He cannot see it for the waves and current, but he wonders what the others think about him. He considers to himself, "This group lacks focus; a leader is needed. However, it seems that no one would want that...or at least want me to lead them. Everyone seems to have either their own agenda or they lack the skills - or the desire - to lead. Gond, guide me to help build the trust and favor in these men and women so that your work may be done."

As the cleric of Gond continues his silent prayer, the light of Grynde shines. Quickly turning to the source, he says reflexibly, "By the Maker!" He looks over at Anika and Khazrael noting that they seem to be the only ones with skills or items that could shroud the holy light. Just as he considers this start to be a bad omen, the light winks out; it lasted long enough for Tanner to realize the source. Looking at the others, Tanner says one word through clenched teeth that sounds more like a curse than anything else, "Grynde."

kuja.girl
2007-10-09, 04:04 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel had been relieved when Damian and Grynde switched boats. She had not been looking forward to the idea of a multi-day trip in a small space with the two half-elves.
Since she happened to be in the same boat as Adalmar, she listened to his discription of the tower and the encircling town with intrest. "This is going to be more complicated than I thought. It's more of a seige than a straight forward battle isn't it? I don't have much experince with that sort of thing. At least we have some help this time though."
---
When the white light, and screams, issue from the other boat Tiriel reflexivily stands up, causing the boat to wobble, and she spends a few seconds regaining her balance. Then the light stops and Tiriel's left standing in the boat, feeling a bit silly. "What in all hells was that?!?" Once she figures out what had just happened she can't help but shout at the other boat, "Callos take that bloodly ring away from him now before I come over there and do it for you!"

ooc: she's shouting, not screaming at the otherboat. If the otherboat is out of range, then she'll be content to just talk to other passengers in her boat.

barawn
2007-10-09, 04:30 PM
Damian

Damian immediately drops to crouch below the boat when Grynde lights up, and immediately begins scanning the horizon for any movement. This late at night, though... he glances over to Elthan and Fizahn quickly. "Elthan. Fizahn. Scan the horizon - watch for any movement other than our boats. Hopefully no one saw that, or discounted it, and it's unlikely we'd see them in any case, but it's better safe than sorry. Is he all right?"

Once things calm down, Damian turns back to Tiriel. "I'd say your assessment is pretty much correct. I'd call it a 'surgical strike' - everyone else here is intended to provide distraction/cover while we go, as quickly as we can, to recover the item. I have had a lot of experience with this, though. I can offer a few suggestions if needed. The tactics needed are relatively straightforward, though they may be slightly unpleasant."

namo
2007-10-09, 05:01 PM
Adalmar

The ranger's gaze was unfocused as he recalled his memories... but he was startled out of his thoughtfulness by the sudden flames. They are taken care of fast enough, but he can't help being worried : "Are you alright ? Grynde, Tryntha, Callos ?"

Koji
2007-10-09, 05:55 PM
Khazrael

Noting that Grynde is no longer in immediate danger, he glances to the yellow-robed hathran.

"So when we get close enough to the undead for a fight, are you gonna be able to back us up, or are you just here to pilot the boat?" He asks with a smile.

blackfox
2007-10-09, 07:07 PM
Anika

Anika jumps and half draws her sword when the light from the holy aura hits her eyes, and then scowls and looks away as the light hurts her eyes, which had adjusted to the dark. "Was that Grynde? It must have been from the ring he had... I think he had the cloisonne one."

She falls silent when Khazrael addresses the hathran. Since she has no knowledge of the hathran order, she has no knowledge of the respect a hathran would be due, but suspects that Khazrael's remark fell somewhat short of that level of respect.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-09, 08:04 PM
Callos

I can honestly say that this was a rather large surprise...apparently Grynde isn't 'pure' enough to tolerate the ring's energies which leave two solutions...take the ring and pass it to someone else...or...teach him to be a better person which I already should be doing..

"Grynde...it would appear that you using that ring is ill-advised...unless you think you can tough out the pain..." Callos said a bit heavily as he glanced over at Adalmar's boat and called out back to him. "Everyone's fine...sort of...Grynde needs minor burn wound treatment but other then that everyone's fine!"

Another sigh then as he glared at the ring himself, why'd it have to be so picky like the other one had been? "Hmmm...you could probably still use it you know...if your willing to let me help you out some. I think the ring burns because of your past...indiscretions, if you work past those things I think it would work for you, what do you say? Until then maybe we can see about you and the necromanerist switching rings so that you still get something for the payment you offered me."

Sure he didn't need to do that last part, technically he had done his part since the half-elf knew how to use the ixen ring, but Callos was anything is not fair and he knew that just as technically he had cheated Grynde out of what he had sought after in the first place...a usable magical ring.

Erikkin
2007-10-09, 09:50 PM
Fizahn:

"This is crazy. Another ring rejects the half-elf." Fizahn says, voice full of sarcasm. When he speaks again, his voice is condescending and mocking. "You know, I believe we didn't want you to have that ring Grynde. Best to just pass it on to another person now. You know, someone who can use it." Fizahn's eyes widen when Callos offers to switch rings. His hand immediately goes to rest on his 'short sword's' hilt. "So help me... Whomever! If you let Grynde anywhere near that 'kill' ring, things will not be pleasant. You didn't trust me with it, remember? I'm not the crazy person with rage issues! I'm just highly sarcastic!" Fizahn's 'short sword' is partially out of it's scabbard, and he is glaring at Grynde.

Darius
2007-10-10, 12:13 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner continues to watch the boat with Grynde as further commotion seems to continue. He concentrates and focuses his energies as he casts the spell to transform him into the celestial form like that of Tiriel. Using his ties with the positive plane, he 'locks' his spell so that it will continue to last. His cloak masks his appearance, and Tanner uses his new-found darkvision to scan over the waters to see if he needs to take flight to the other boat. He is glad to be in this form should the light or noise attract undue attention.

Deciding to let the others handle it for the moment, Tanner listens for the Hathran's response to Khazrael's question regarding the upcoming conflict.

Edit: changed Khazrael for Anika (see below); thanks BF!

Aveda
2007-10-10, 10:40 PM
Gala

Gala stifles a yelp and shields her eyes with her arm as Grynde seemingly explodes right next to her. "What the...?!"

Dragons, death threats, and half-elves suddenly turning as bright as the sun are a little beyond her ken from her experiences with other groups. She gapes as Callos talks Grynde through reversing the ring's effects--she was almost ready to push him overboard, if that would help. He probably wouldn't like that, or me, very much afterwards though.

These rings intrigued Gala. They could be a very useful tool in the battles ahead, used correctly. If nothing else, knowing which ring bearer could wield a holy aura in battle could be a good thing to know. She watches the exchange with interest but stays silent.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-11, 09:34 PM
All remains quiet on the Lake, though several of you remain on alert for a while after Grynde's activation of his ring.

Khazrael

Noting that Grynde is no longer in immediate danger, he glances to the yellow-robed hathran.

"So when we get close enough to the undead for a fight, are you gonna be able to back us up, or are you just here to pilot the boat?" He asks with a smile.

She looks down at him through her mask. She does not return Khazrael's smile.

"We have been instructed to protect and assist you. Sons and daughters of Rashemen will die so that you may accomplish your mission."

Her tone carries a hint of bitterness and skepticism that Grynde's blunder and the inter-party bickering have done nothing to assuage.

Grynde holds the cloisonne ring between his thumb and index finger. Will he choose to keep it, or pass it on to another?

Koji
2007-10-11, 11:02 PM
Khazrael

Well, somebody's gotta protect this place.

He responds, "No sweat, lady, I just wanted to know if you need to be kept out of the way when things go south. Obviously, you'll be fine."

He tugs at the hem of his jacket and rubs off a bit of lint.

"I spent a lot of time down below. I'll have you know that prolonged exposure to cynicism has granted me quite an immunity."

He tosses her a wink and looks out over the water toward their destination.

Darius
2007-10-12, 08:13 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner cannot help but like Khazrael after his comment and handling of the Hathran. "Thank you, Gond, for steering me to this boat," Tanner silently lifts a prayer of thanks to his maker.

Tanner then looks at the Hathran and says in Rashemi, "It is true that sons and daughters will die, but more will die if we fail." Tanner hopes that speaking the native tongue of the Hathran will allow her to save face - not that she would care.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-12, 09:40 AM
If the hathran is annoyed by Khazrael, she does not show it, or at least the mask hides any expression of disdain.

The hathran replies in the common tongue when Tanner speaks to her.

"That is exactly the point. I can only hope that you ... heroes ... will prove as effective in battle as the huhrong and the wychlaran seem to believe. Otherwise, many good men and women will die in vain."

Her tone makes it clear that nothing she has seen so far has instilled in her much confidence in your abilities.

barawn
2007-10-12, 01:16 PM
Damian

When the furor dies down a bit more, Damian looks to Tanner, Khazrael, and the others. "As fun as the verbal sparring between all of you sounds, Tiriel's point from before was quite valid. This isn't a straightforward fight. The Rashemi aren't here to win. They're here to distract."

"I think we have to treat ourselves the same way. Which means focusing more on the goal rather than having everyone survive - I think the most important people to survive are those who can fly: namely Tiriel, Tanner if he's transformed, Khazrael if he still has spells, and whoever has this ring," indicating the ring he's wearing. "We get the item, and the person who gets it gets out of there as fast as possible."

"I'm only mentioning this because it's not an easy reality to face, and I think it needs to be said. Personally, I think Tiriel should be the 'primary recovery' person, because her ability to fly can't be taken away, dispelled, or eliminated. Tanner, Khazrael, and the ringbearer can be backups."

Koji
2007-10-12, 03:07 PM
((Whooooooops. Sorry, it's hard to keep Tanner and Damian straight sometimes :D))

Naleh
2007-10-12, 03:23 PM
Retay, Necromanerist

"What happened to not fearing death?" growls Retay from his spot in the corner of the red boat. "All of us here have accepted the risks. As long as plenty of those damn bloodsuckers die, I'm happy."

kuja.girl
2007-10-12, 03:41 PM
Khazrael
"...but if you want Tiriel to be on retrieval duty, why not tell her yourself?"
OOC: he did Koji - Tiriel's in the same boat (gray) as Damian and Khaz is in a different one (red). X| this makes formulating an ic reply a bit confusing for me.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-12, 07:47 PM
Retay, Necromanerist

"What happened to not fearing death?" growls Retay from his spot in the corner of the red boat. "All of us here have accepted the risks. As long as plenty of those damn bloodsuckers die, I'm happy."

The hathran does not even turn around to acknowledge Retay.

"None of us fear death, barbarian, but it is not in our nature to waste life either - whether ours or yours.

"We will arrive at Shandaular in less than two days. I sincerely hope that you will be ready ..."

blackfox
2007-10-12, 08:26 PM
Anika

Anika remains silent in her boat, now (belatedly) wishing she had been able to work with Tiriel. The tension and bickering between party members would never help their cause and certainly wasn't helping the Rashemi respect them.

(OOC: Damian has already said anything Anika would want to say to make people stop arguing.)

Matticus
2007-10-13, 01:13 AM
Grynde

That was uncomfortable the slightly-elf says flippantly, and then stares at the cloisonne ring for several minutes, utterly vexed by why the rings all seem to hate him. Eventually, he replaces the ring to his finger, disgruntled, swearing to himself that he wouldn't say anything even remotely like the command word unless he had to. Sitting stiffly, he observes the other ringbearers, plucking up the courage to ask for a trade.
The unholy one'd be the same, surely. I'm not evil. The dragon's out of the question. And this one won't work for just anyone......I've always wanted to fly...
Chewing on his bottom lip, he works out how best to phrase his thought, and then opens his mouth.
As this ring doesn't like me, there should be some more trading going on to ensure it's in the hands of one who can use it best. But I won't just give it away.

barawn
2007-10-13, 01:30 AM
Damian

Damian bursts out laughing after Grynde's comment of "not just giving the ring away." "Won't... won't... Grynde, that's how you got the ring! Oh, this is just hilarious. My motives are questioned, yet I gave the ring away freely for the good of the group. And yet no one seems to be seriously questioning yours, yet you refuse to!" He laughs a bit more, then manages to pull himself together, grasping the side of the boat.

"Sorry, sorry, that was likely uncalled for. It's very unlike me, as well - but, you have to see the irony from my point of view. Tell me truthfully, Grynde, should we even bother planning our siege? Would you even listen?" The barest hint of a smile is still on his face, yet he seems quite serious.

Erikkin
2007-10-13, 08:27 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks shocked at Grynde. His voice assumes its usual sarcastic tone once more. "Oh yes. Excellent idea. Because we didn't just give you the ring. We made you pay for it. And we absolutely don't have the good of the group at heart. We're all only looking out for ourselves." He looks around at the rest of the people in his group. People in the boat: Me, Callos, Grynde, Aeroz, Tryntha, and Gala. People who could benefit from the ring: Hmmmm... Me, Callos, Aeroz, Tryntha, and Gala. Why is he so horrible? Fizahn looks at Grynde once more. When he speaks, he is exasperated and his voice has slightly threatening undertones. "Fine. Keep the ring. Just know that you can't use it, and when you die, I will take it off your corpse and give it to someone who can use it!"

Darius
2007-10-14, 02:12 PM
Damian

"I think we have to treat ourselves the same way. Which means focusing more on the goal rather than having everyone survive - I think the most important people to survive are those who can fly: namely Tiriel, Tanner if he's transformed, Khazrael if he still has spells, and whoever has this ring," indicating the ring he's wearing. "We get the item, and the person who gets it gets out of there as fast as possible."

"I'm only mentioning this because it's not an easy reality to face, and I think it needs to be said. Personally, I think Tiriel should be the 'primary recovery' person, because her ability to fly can't be taken away, dispelled, or eliminated. Tanner, Khazrael, and the ringbearer can be backups."

Tanner Gondsman

Despite the pit that forms in Tanner's stomach, the cleric realizes that Damian is right. The cleric of Gond turns to Khazrael and says, "Khazrael, if you were to wear the ring Grynde has currently, would it have a similar effect and burn you like it did Grynde?" Realizing that it may sound as if he is asking if Khaz has a good heart, Tanner adds, "The reason why I ask is that if we plan on doing as Damian believes is the best course of action, then the ring may need to be in your hands."

Koji
2007-10-14, 04:24 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael ponders Tanner's suggestion, and shakes his head.

"It burned him because, what, he's not pious enough, or just 'cause he's a jerk? I don't think it would like me either. I've got bad luck with that kind of thing, for obvious reasons."

Darius
2007-10-14, 09:46 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael ponders Tanner's suggestion, and shakes his head.

"It burned him because, what, he's not pious enough, or just 'cause he's a jerk? I don't think it would like me either. I've got bad luck with that kind of thing, for obvious reasons."

Tanner Gondsman

Sighing heavily, a defeated look crosses the cleric's face. He says to Khazrael and the others from the group with him in the boat, "Then I must face my destiny; for if we are to succeed with minimal casualties. then perhaps it is best that I wear the ring. Unfortunately, I believe Damian is right, and those of us who can fly should be the ones to get the kris. I believe that whoever wears the holy aura ring will be a wonderful target, and thus would be an excellent distraction for those we shall face. I could then allow Tiriel an opportunity to escape with the artifact. What do you think?"

namo
2007-10-14, 10:10 PM
Adalmar

Adalmar remains silent during the discussion. He is trying to imagine how best to get the krys back, but he can't think of a good plan.

kuja.girl
2007-10-15, 12:24 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel had been sitting in silence, brooding over the fact that Grynde was keeping the cloisonné ring even though it hurt him to use it. He must be an idiot. Or incredibly selfish... probably both.
She hadn't thought much of Damian's plan and had decided to wait and see what everyone else involved thought before saying anything. But now that there were others supporting his idea she decided to stop the nonsense.

"I'm not leaving until Valentine's dead, destroyed, whatever. Even if I did get the dagger it seems pointless for me to leave since she could send those horses or bats after me and we'd be back where we started or possibly, worse."

Koji
2007-10-15, 02:41 AM
Khazrael

"Works for me, I guess. We just gotta make sure we don't leave the slowpokes behind, and none of us get caught without backup. Those vampires can't fly, but if they catch you, even one of them is strong enough to pin you down."

He rubs at his chin while gazing to Elthan.

"Wait a minute, you turned into a bat that one time, didn't you? How did that work? Can you do it again?"

barawn
2007-10-15, 03:00 AM
Damian

(ooc: kuja_girl, it was Damian's plan actually. :smallbiggrin: )

"Actually, Tiriel, I just assumed we'd have to defeat Valentine to get the kris, considering I figured she had it on her person anyway. That's what the Iron Lord suggested, at least. I was talking about afterwards. Killing Valentine won't make the rest of the undead in Shandaular disappear. Uh. It won't, right, Callos? I mean, it'd be great if it did, but..."

He chuckles slightly, and looks at her with a grin on his face. "See, the other reason I was suggesting that you be the primary person is because I don't really think anything can stop you from taking her out, and it seems like you have a serious desire to be the one to destroy her, too."

"But once we've defeated Valentine, we have to get the kris out of Shandaular and away from Sethra's forces. It does Sethra no serious harm if we recover the kris only to lose it again due to being weakened from the fight to obtain it. I know it may seem a bit premature, but if we don't have a plan for afterwards, that's the quickest way to fail."

He glances over to Callos, then back to Tiriel. "The other thing to consider is that it's important that we reach Valentine as soon as possible, from what Callos said - before nightfall. Which means probably, what we want to do is have two of the groups flanking the third group, holding off any undead coming from the sides, and allowing the third group to move as quickly as possible forward."

Dr._Bob
2007-10-15, 11:19 AM
Adalmar recalls that there are caves lining the cliffs below Shandaular. It is possible that they might lead beneath the city and provide an alternate means of entering the ruined city.

The caves and tunnels were narrow, even for adolescent humans, so the Rashemi warriors probably can not use them, but a small strike group might be able to worm their way deep undeneath the city while the Rashemi engage any defenders up above.

Obviously, some of your group can fly, but it is unlikely that the entire party can take an aerial approach.

Possibly, the group could split up and take three routes - overland, underground, and through the air? Or perhaps it would be better to stick together?

You discuss the options further before dropping off one by one to sleep, lulled by the rocking of the witchboat ...

Darius
2007-10-15, 03:17 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner turns to the hathrans in the boats and asks, "Have you the means to scry or see clairvoyantly? It may help us determine the best course of action?"

kuja.girl
2007-10-15, 10:01 PM
Tiriel

"Oh. Yeah, she had it last time we saw her. But even if we defeat Valentine, and get the kris, then what do I do with it? I guess I can just keep out of reach and try to help everyone..."

Naleh
2007-10-15, 10:42 PM
Retay

"Well, if you don't think the Rashemi can fit, how do you expect me to get through?" rumbles the barbarian. He turns to glare at Adalmar, as if it was his fault the tunnels were so narrow. "Even if I can slip through, I'm sure to slow us down. And splitting up's no plan. They'd pick us off."

Darius
2007-10-16, 07:41 AM
Tanner Gondsman

While thinking Tanner hears Tiriel's and Retay's comments. He first asks Tiriel, "Horses? You said that Valentine would send horses after you? When you can fly, why could horses hinder you?"

Tanner understands the barbarian's distaste for being confined, and he agrees with Retay, "You are right, Retay, we should stay together as much as possible. We do not want a repeat of what happened at the fort. However, if Valentine is a spell slinger, it may be useful to not group up so we are all the target of spells."

kuja.girl
2007-10-16, 09:10 AM
Tiriel

Clearly frustrated, Tiriel tries to explain her past encounter with the vampire's steeds, with much hand waving. "How would I know?!? They weren't just horses, but some kind of demon-horse. They appeared out of nowhere on the second floor of the building we were in and then they set it on fire. For all I know they can just *poof* appear in thin air anywhere!"

ooc: someone should feel free to jump in and help her out. really.

namo
2007-10-16, 09:17 AM
Adalmar

"I did see them fly from the window on the second floor. They managed to go through the walls without ever... going physically through them. It's hard to explain."

Unconsciously, the ranger grips his bow tighter. He felt it would be his responsibility to limit the movement of those creatures - had Trinark called them nightmares ?

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-16, 12:06 PM
Callos

"Their called nightmares...and believe me the name is well deserved and they can very well catch Shiney if she tried to outrace them." Callos replied through the message spell and just by telling it to the other boats. He was reclining now against the prow of the boat with his spellbook open, already drifting off to sleep as he spoke. Part of him wanted to defend his actions to Fizahn...or to continue his conversation with Grynde which was something he had to address quickly...but instead he focused on relaxing and getting some much needed asleep.

Darius
2007-10-16, 12:18 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner can only imagine what Damian's response to this new information will be, so he hopes to speak up before the mercenary cynically does by saying, "Hmm...I see. This is good to know. What other forces or manner of creatures did you encounter that were either minions or under the influence of Valentine or Sethra?"

Tanner takes mental stock - Vampires, ghouls, ghasts, and now nightmares - Gond watch over us all.

Koji
2007-10-16, 12:47 PM
Khazrael

He nods to Adalmar, and follows up on his description.

"I almost killed one of them, and I really wish I'd succeeded, since they're not easy to come by. They run between the planes as easily as a normal horse can move over solid earth. Their hooves are on fire, they breathe out thick smoke, and they can fly very quickly. They're pretty smart, too, I think."

Khazrael leans on the side of the boat and looks down into the water.

"I can summon and control bats, but the vampires are a dozen times better at it than I am, and actually used my own ability against us last time. She had two or three other vampires with her, but I didn't see them use any magic or anything. They were young-looking men I think, one might have had brown hair, but I was halfway between darkvision and using the light from the fire, so I can't say for sure. I'd know 'em if I saw 'em, though...unless they can change their shape."

kuja.girl
2007-10-16, 12:59 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel gives Callos a glare before ticking off the enimies that Tanner asked about. "Well there was Valentine, the two vampires that Khaz found on the roof, the 2 nightmares and maybe a third that stayed with Valentine, a hoard of skeletons, and some bats. Oh and she was controlling some zombies when Anika and I first met her beneath Telflamm. I don't know if the ghouls were "her's" but we might find some of those again."

Of the monsters listed only the vampires and nightmares cause Tiriel any worry. She doesn't acutaly remember being hit by the zombies, skeletons, bats, or ghouls so she views these as hindernces instead of "foes." Though she does remember quite a few other people being badly hurt by them...

barawn
2007-10-16, 04:00 PM
Damian

Damian frowns when Tiriel mentions the nightmares, shaking his head slightly. "Well, that pretty much kills that idea, then. If some of them are still able to chase after you flying, then getting the kris to a safe location, even after we eliminate Valentine, won't be so easy. I think the suggestion of a triple assault above, below, and on ground might be best for ensuring someone gets there, but will they have enough strength to fight Valentine if only they make it?"

He sighs slightly. "It's not an easy problem. I think, though, as much as splitting up might be against some of our notions, it might be best. If we come in as a group of 15 or more, we're sure to draw attention, and Valentine's forces will certainly be capable of massing enough forces in one location to repel us. Splitting up into three groups, we might get lucky and none of them will draw attention, compared to the Rashemi assault."

Erikkin
2007-10-16, 06:42 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn stops talking as people begin discussing tactics. He didn't know how to combat undead. He moves to a spot on the boat where he could see everyone on his boat. He looks at all of the people on his boat with a neutral expression. Every time he looks at Grynde, he frowns. He seems to be deep in contemplation about something. His eyes seem almost closed, but he does not appear to be going to sleep anytime soon.

blackfox
2007-10-16, 07:19 PM
Anika

Anika sighs and sits back in the boat to listen to the conversation. She knows very little about fighting undead, especially large-scale assault of fortresses heavily guarded by undead. She remains silent, not having anything to contribute.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-16, 09:55 PM
The hathrans shake their heads. "The seers predict both weal and woe."

For security, no open flames are permitted on the witchboats. As the temperature falls, frost forms on the surface of the Lake and the decks of the witchboats. You bundle together under heavy furs for warmth out of necessity.

The discussion of tactics and options continues in hushed whispers until you individually fall asleep.

Darius
2007-10-17, 07:47 AM
Tanner Gondsman

A look of concern washes over Tanner's face as Damian adjusts the plan. The cleric speaks his mind, "Damian, I am confused. Before when we faced the ghouls, you wanted us to be together. Now, when we face ghouls, vampires, nightmares, and Gond knows what other evil creatures, you want us to split up. I do not think this is wise - especially when we have no means of knowing where the others are, what is happening to them, or any other tactically necessary information. On top of that, Sethra and Valentine have the ability to dominate those who are not protected by a ring or spell. It would be much easier to defeat a small group, convert them, and use them against another group. If we are together, we have strength in numbers, and we are able to coordinate our attacks or at least communicate with one another."

Dr._Bob
2007-10-17, 11:43 AM
OOC: To keep the game moving I will ask everyone to weigh in IC (once) on whether you would prefer to stick together or to split up.

Once everyone has had a chance to vote, we'll advance game time to the next morning ...

barawn
2007-10-17, 01:45 PM
Damian

"That's because when we faced the ghouls, our goal was to survive. We were defending. That's not our goal here. We're attacking. We cannot choose lesser tactics simply to try to ensure everyone survives. It's not fair to the Rashemi, for one, who are certainly not trying to ensure that they all survive this raid."

He sighs, shaking his head. "Look, I'm not suggesting it's a great idea. There are no great ideas, other than 'don't do it', in a siege like this. We split up, we might not have enough strength to fight Valentine when we get there. We don't split up, we probably won't have enough strength to get there. Communicating's a problem, but there are spells to deal with that, and hopefully one of our spellcasters has such a spell."

"But you have to understand. Look at all of the Rashemi around us. They're not here to fight a vampire. They're here to distract the rest of the undead. Which means there's enough to overwhelm us. Which means we can't draw their attention. Remember what Adalmar told us. They have a superior vantage point. They will see us coming if we attack in force."

"If we can all get to this central tower, we can rejoin again there for the final assault, and meet the more powerful enemies fully strong. Do I like it? No. Do I think there's another choice? No."

(ooc: if it wasn't obvious, that's a vote for 'split up')

Koji
2007-10-17, 03:45 PM
Khazrael

As everyone moves together to protect themselves from the cold, Khazrael realizes that huddling together under warm furs might be the perfect chance to get a little closer to Anika, who has thus far been rather quiet.

Somehow, he ends up wedged between Tanner and Retay, and wears an enormous frown as he weighs in on the matter of splitting up.

"I say we stick together. If we split up and only half of us come out of it, we're all gonna feel responsible. Staying in one group at least gives us the chance to watch each others' backs."

blackfox
2007-10-17, 05:56 PM
Anika

"I'm with Damian on this one. It seems to me like it would be easier to hide among a crowd individually than while being a crowd ourselves. If we are split up into groups, then Valentine must divide her attention to seek us out, which should slow her down a lot. Besides, having smaller groups makes it easier to hide, or flee, whereas in a large group in the streets, is more easily noticed and more easily fought."

Erikkin
2007-10-17, 06:29 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks down at the group as a poll is apparently being taken. He stifles a yawn and looks at the people on his boat. "Split up." That way, if Grynde's stupidity gets in our way, it'll only get one group killed. Unfortunately, that's my group...

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-17, 06:48 PM
Callos

"Splitting up holds the most pros and the least amount of cons in my opinion...though that doesn't matter as much as it used to. We have all the proper parts for a multi-pronged attack or for a stampede to a prepared force and I personally prepare the former." Callos replied drowsily from his spot on the prow, idly twisting the ring once more as he struggled to stay awake. If he fell asleep now then he knew something important would completely bypass him, more importantly he probably wouldn't like the end result either.

Frojoe21
2007-10-17, 11:30 PM
Aeroz

"I don't know if splitting up is entirely wise. But if the consensus is that we should, then I'll support the decision. I'm just a little preoccupied thinking about the painful and untimely death that might await me in a few hours..."

Diarmuid
2007-10-17, 11:36 PM
Tryntha

The Rashemi woman felt it better to leave the strategy to those more familiar with the ways of combat. She knew some of the forces at her disposal could be used for offense and combat, but she knew the Rashemi way first and foremost. Steel and muscle, and when the steel and muscle grow...you make them strong again to fight on.

She catalogued her spells again, making sure she was fully prepared, considering praying for a few different spells come the morning based on the information about the demon horses.

She was just about to add her support for sticking together when Callos drowsily endorsed splitting up. Conflicted, she opted to support his claim as he seemed to carry the most weight with the group.

"Smaller groups may indeed succeed where one large group could be easily identified and handled en masse."

Naleh
2007-10-17, 11:44 PM
Retay

"Splitting up's too dangerous," insists the barbarian. "I've seen it before - one person gets seperated from the group: they get swamped, and within seconds they're dead... It's not about survival. It's about getting at least one person in and out successfully. That won't happen if we're all in convenient bite-sized groups, ready to be picked off."

namo
2007-10-18, 12:16 AM
Adalmar

The ranger ponders his answer for a long time. Finally : "I think an aerial attack is a bad idea - fliers will be too noticeable and the combined strength of the nightmares and the vampires is too dangerous. If... no, when the nightmares are taken down, it becomes an attractive option.

Tiriel, if you need to fly faster, I could lend you my ring.

I would be in favor of having a group going underground... if I was certain I could reliably guide us. As it is, I don't want to take the risk of wasting a precious part of our strike force.

I say we stay together. We can still split up later - during the fight - if it seems appropriate."

Aveda
2007-10-18, 01:28 AM
Gala

Gala yawns and stretches before adding her two cents. "Well, the way I see it, there's advantages either way. They may get distracted with multiple groups coming at them, maybe even split their forces, but when we fight I have a feeling we'll want all our strength combined. If we must split up, I'd say two groups at the most--one other team going underground may surprise them, but splitting into three might be dividing us a bit too thinly. Problem is, will we really be able to meet up again right before we take on those creepy vampires and their mounts? I'm not so sure...Adalmar may know his way around here, but we'd need at least two guides who know the place to get around and rendez-vous safely. So I think we should stick together, unless we're sure that half of us are strong enough to take on Valentine and her minions, in a worst case scenario." Having said her piece, Gala lays back in the boat near Fizahn and Grynde and listens to what the others have to say before succumbing to sleep.

Koji
2007-10-18, 01:38 AM
Khazrael

"I'm not too worried about the hell-horses. I nearly killed them before--they only escaped because they shifted out of our plane and I couldn't follow."

He frowns.

"I still can't, actually--do we have some way to keep them locked in our plane?"

Matticus
2007-10-18, 02:46 AM
Grynde

Without a care in the world, Grynde settles down for what he hopes will be a few hours of good sleep before the ever-closer battle. Before he nods off, he hears Aeroz lamenting the possible decapitation awaiting them. Half asleep, he manages to speak out before slipping into blissful oblivion.
Death's peaceful, life's alright...'s'only the transition that's the bad part...

Darius
2007-10-18, 09:49 AM
Khazrael

"I'm not too worried about the hell-horses. I nearly killed them before--they only escaped because they shifted out of our plane and I couldn't follow."

He frowns.

"I still can't, actually--do we have some way to keep them locked in our plane?"

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens to the others and answers Khazrael, "Aye, Khazrael, there is a spell called dimensional anchor. It is among the most powerful spells that I am able to cast, but it can only affect one of the nightmares."

Tanner than says, "At any rate, we haven't heard from Tiriel or Elthan, and currently we have voted six for staying together and five for splitting up. What say you both?"

kuja.girl
2007-10-18, 02:33 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel shrugs. "I've never been in a battle of this... magnitude before. But the other times we've split up didn't go very well." She says thinking back on Si'rene's death and when they most recently lost people in the Underdark.
"But that doesn't mean that it's a bad idea this time. I think that Gala and Damian have a point - 2 groups might be able to break through to the tower better than one large group. If nothing else, the surface group could be an additional distraction. But I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to cement a plan now since things could change before we even make land fall."

"I don't think I'll need to fly faster, at least not yet Adalmar. But thanks for the offer."
[ooc: Tiriel will do whatever choice gets the majority vote, unless she thinks it's a bad idea, then she'll say something.]

Darius
2007-10-18, 02:41 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner looks at Elthan and says, "I guess it is up to you, Elthan. If you vote in favor of splitting up, our votes will be split six to six, and that would mean that Grynde and Tiriel will need to cast their vote. If you vote for staying together, then that is what we will do. If you do not care to vote, then we will remain as a group. So, sir, what say you?"

King_of_GRiffins
2007-10-19, 09:36 AM
Elthan

Yesterday

Elthan quietly leans back over the edge of the boat, adjacent to Damians' seat. He does not move quickly to answer, but pulls his head up to reply. "You don't need to worry about stepping on my toes Damian. I'm not sure how far I do trust you, but I think I trust you more than enough to let you borrow some of my spells, as long as I can use them again once I've rested. Thinking of it, if I split up my ability to cast with you, we could attack twice as fast, correct? A few of the spells that I know are inclined to someone more physically capable than I am as well. I have no objections working with you."

He turns his head and gazes off across the empty lake, contemplating how to answer the second part of Damians query. Honestly, he wasn't quite sure what his chosen path of research was called. "What am I? Just a Half-Elf and a necromancer last I checked," he jokes lightly, knowing that one or two, maybe more of the party, are not quite what they appear to be,"But, I think I told you a bit of that earlier, didn't I? I use a different weave, The Shadow Weave, to harness my powers. I suppose I would be called a Shadow... Adept? Yes, that sounds about right.

"I've never met one who could take spells before, so I honestly don't know what that would mean to you. I suppose we would just have to see if it will still work."

----

Elthan rubs the back of his head as Khazreal bombards him with a series of questions."Eh... Yes, I do recall I did that before, at the waterfall when the boats were about to crash. The cloak I traded for in the Underdark can either let me fly, or change into a bat and fly as such. I wouldn't trust that its spell would last more than fifteen minutes at a time, and then not be usable for an equal period of usage afterwards."

----

Elthan looks up from his contemplating to Tanner, having almost made up his mind on what course he wished for. He takes one moment to think a bit more, then sighs. "I do not wish to start a tie, but I do not think in this instance staying together will bend the odds in our favor. In the previous times when we've split up, it was out of necessity, without goal, and without a definite time to regroup. Such splitting up never ends entirely well, as Tiriel has said it has not, but all three circumstances are opposite to our current. We have a choice, we have our goal, and we will not be here long before meeting up again.

"We do have the advantage of flight with many of our number, and should make use of it as much as possible. There are rare few undead who can fly on their own power. Splitting up as such would be an excellent idea, but, perhaps it should not be done so immediately. There are only a small number of enemies who can fly, but they are quite troublesome. Once they are dealt with, perhaps we could send our group of flyers ahead, or even use them to lure the Nightmares out and then send them in afterwards.

"I believe we should split up, but it would seem that will be up to Tiriel and Grynde."

Darius
2007-10-19, 03:23 PM
Elthan
"I believe we should split up, but it would seem that will be up to Tiriel and Grynde."

Tanner Gondsman

Without a hint of the frustration that wells up inside him, Tanner then says to Tiriel and Grynde, "It seems we are back to you both, for we are tied." Please, Gond, Tanner prays silently, let these two not be contrary.

Matticus
2007-10-19, 03:31 PM
Grynde

From his position asleep, Grynde finds himself rather uncapable of casting a vote. How he manages to sleep at this climatic time is a mystery to all.

kuja.girl
2007-10-19, 06:35 PM
Tiriel

Ack. How'd I get myself in this situation? Tiriel asks herself aware of the many pairs of eyes now focused upon her. Thanks a lot half-elf, she thinks glaring at the sleeping Grynde. Then again, she wouldn't have been happy if he'd been the one to break the tie.
She mulls over the strengths and weaknesses of both sets of tactics.
A large group can handle more foes and stands a better chance of forcing it's way through en mass.
Smaller groups stand a better chance of going unnoticed and each group has their own odds of reaching the tower; if one group is delayed the others may still make it.
Both were good plans. But Tiriel couldn't help but feel that both were flawed and that either way they were going to be corralled into the center of the town like sheep into a slaughtering pen. Not a pleasant thought that. Hrmm... sheep. No, sheep dogs. They were the ones that did the herding. The more dogs, the more sheep that could be herded... but if the herd split the dogs would focus on herding the split back to the main body.

That wasn't such a bad idea actually. If they traveled as one "herd" but had pieces split off only to regroup, and split again, and again until they reached the tower... Well, it might be confusing enough to work.

Erikkin
2007-10-19, 08:37 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at Tiriel as she is about to speak. Such a commanding presence. Everyone focus on the tall blonde woman please. He quickly pads across the deck to where Grynde is sleeping. He leans closer to the half-elf and looks at him. I really don't like you. Wouldn't even weigh in your opinion on our tactics. Probably a good thing. I really want to get rid of you right now. I'm never going to though. You'll probably get killed long before you provoke me enough.

kuja.girl
2007-10-19, 09:09 PM
Tiriel

"I don't like either choice actually. That's why I didn't want to vote in the first place. So. Well, I was thinking that maybe we shouldn't do either or that we should do both." Seeing the looks of confusion Tiriel tries to clarify what she means. "I, well, I don't think it's a good idea to split up until we get a better idea of what we're up against. I also don't think it's a real good idea to charge blindly ahead even if the chances of survival are better as a large group.
"I guess what I'm getting at is that we should have an adaptable plan instead of plan "a" or plan "b." But to do that, we really need a way to keep in communication, even if we split into groups." Looking up at Khazrael, Callos, and reluctantly, Elthan, she asks, "Is there any way to do that? To keep in communication even if we're separated?"

ooc: Tiriel isn't clued in to the particulars of the spell "message."

Koji
2007-10-19, 09:36 PM
Khazrael

With a shake of his head, Khazrael shrugs apologetically at Tiriel.

"I can't maintain contact if I get too far away, or if something gets in between me and whoever I'm talking to. If the others are gonna be too far away to see, I can't think of any way to communicate with them."

Darius
2007-10-20, 07:35 PM
Tanner Gondsman

"Having no communication is why I wanted us to stay together in our approach. It is true that we can alter our methods as situations develop as long as we are together to do so. If we are not, then only each individual group may adapt instead of selecting the best among us to perform a certain task."

barawn
2007-10-20, 10:53 PM
Damian

"Line-of-sight wouldn't be so bad. We could easily stay far enough apart to not attract attention that way. If you're flying, Khazrael, line of sight is a long, long way."

Looking over to Tanner, he shrugs. "Of course the groups have to be able to communicate. That's a given. But there are always ways to communicate. The only question is how we do it. I wasn't suggesting we just blindly split into teams and have at it."

kuja.girl
2007-10-21, 02:00 PM
Tiriel

"So maybe we should stay together, at least at first, and plan to split up later if we need to?
"There's got to be some better way to keep in communication..."

Darius
2007-10-21, 02:09 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner then nods and says, "It is settled then, we stay together in our approach until a situation dictates otherwise. Now, we need to decide about our approach. Many of us are concerned that a large number of individuals walking through a fortified area will draw suspicion. Adalmar recalls the possibility of an underground passage that may bring us closer to our objective. So, the question is, how do we plan on our approach? Under or through?"

Dr._Bob
2007-10-21, 08:08 PM
Having finally decided to stay together during the assault, you elect to continue the conversation in the morning, once your heads are clearer. Everyone agrees to mull over the options - overground or underground - while getting some rest.

The Rashemi fleet sets off before dawn, pushing through the thin ice that formed overnight. The crackling awakens you, and you shake the frost from your furs before closing your eyes again, hoping to catch another hour or so of sleep while Tryntha and the other hathrans steer the warboats. Your three boats form a small triangle, with the red and yellow boat in the lead. The other Rashemi boats are invisible in the darkness.

An inarticulate cry of rage startles you fully awake. Grynde is sitting up staring at his hand. The cloisonne ring is gone ...

OOC: Please submit a Listen check and a Spot check. I will send PMs depending on how successful your rolls were ...

namo
2007-10-21, 08:35 PM
Adalmar

Shaking the sleepiness from his mind, the ranger turns to the source of the noise.

[roll0]
[roll1]

For Kir :
[roll2] That's a 10.
[roll3] That's a 36.
...though he may trouble expressing what he saw...

edit : oops, I inverted the modifiers for Kir.

Naleh
2007-10-21, 08:37 PM
Retay

Retay leaps to his feet, reaching for his greataxe until he realises it came from the black boat. He groans. "What's the problem now?" he demands.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Darius
2007-10-21, 09:29 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner quickly looks over to the shout and cannot help but wonder why Grynde has not learned to keep quiet.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Matticus
2007-10-21, 10:10 PM
Grynde

Anger welling up inside of him, he stands up, looking towards the shortest person onboard, and clenches his fists.
Listen...Spot...Check...
[roll0]
[roll1]

Koji
2007-10-22, 01:54 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael starts his morning by leaning overboard and splashing frigid water over his face. Without batting an eyelash at the temperature, he removes his mirror from his pocket, along with his small pot of kohl, and reapplies his makeup.

1d20, 1d20=[17], [2] (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1329246)--spot check 17, listen check 2

barawn
2007-10-22, 04:36 AM
Damian

Damian stirs awake, rolling his eyes as he looks over to Grynde as the source.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Diarmuid
2007-10-22, 10:21 AM
Tryntha

Tryntha had been looking across the water in the direction the witchboats were traveling. She enjoyed piloting the craft and wondered, as she often did, as to their creation. The shout from behind her had her spinning about, worried that winged, flaming horses from the abyss were going to be descending on them. Upon seeing the half-elf apparently unaccosted, she carefully glided over near him and leaned close to him, her ivory mask hiding her displeasure, but her voice, coming through as a harsh whisper, betrayed the venom she felt;

"If you cant learn to control yourself, you can start practicing swimming in freezing waters. You dont have scores of your countrymen throwing themselves in harm's way in the hopes that these three boats carry the salvation necessary to save their lands. Your spiritual leaders have not been murdered and impersonated bringing these evils down upon the lands. I will not have your outbursts ruining the chances of this plan working. If we have to we will tie you up and gag you....but that wont be necessary.....will it?"

[roll0]

Shoulders heaving as she breathes heavily, Tryntha makes her way back to the prow of the boat. She signals to the other hathrans that all is clear and the should proceed. She grips the edge of the boat tightly with her hands to stop them from shaking, thinking to herself,

"That...was probably a bit too much. Perhaps I am still too quick to let me emotions guide my thoughts and actions. I must be able to put them aside and do what is best for Rasheman if I am to honor this mask and trust I have been given. Strength Tryntha. Have strength."

[roll1]
[roll2]

-Edited descriptor to be more accurate -

kuja.girl
2007-10-22, 11:51 AM
[@Diarmuid - Grynde is the obnoxious half-elf, Retay is the barbarian....]

Tiriel

Tiriel groans and rolls over after a quick peak at the situation. Whatever is going on isn't important otherwise there'd be more shouting... right?
[roll0], [roll1]

[ooc: holy-guacamole! those are good rolls for her...]

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-22, 04:41 PM
Callos

So much for that idea...

He thought with a sigh as he started to drift off to sleep. A longer day then he had hoped for was now ahead of him, and he would need all the sleep and patience he could muster to get through it without snapping mentally.

---------------

It was in fact the inarticulate scream of rage that woke up the necromancer who had been sleeping rather peacefully. No nightmares, no restlessness or sleep walking....and it was disturbed by Grynde. Irritation flashed in his opal eyes as he rose from his sleeping position and glared at the half-elf. The hathran's approach seemed a bit...blunt to him and he had the feeling that it just wouldn't work either.

Instead he got up and physically placed himself between Fizahn, and he was indeed looking at Fizahn, and Grynde. A stubborn look was in the necromancer's eyes but when he spoke it was...calmer then what might have been rightfully expected. "What is the problem Grynde? And it had better be a good problem to warrant you screaming your head off on a mission requiring stealth. Take a couple of deep breaths and calm down some first, we don't want any...mistakes to happen that you've done before and if need be I'll restrain you until you are Grynde...so calm...then talk."

OOC

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

blackfox
2007-10-22, 05:20 PM
Anika

Anika glares across the gap between the boats at Grynde. Augh. What is wrong with him... She absently watches Grynde, hoping for a better explanation for all the screaming.

(OOC: Listen Check (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1330403)
Spot Check (1d20+13=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1330407))

Erikkin
2007-10-22, 08:04 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn rolls over in his sleep, and looks irately at the half-elf. "Baravar Cloakshadow, or whichever diety Lissa's always talking about! Some of us, no, wait, all of us are trying to get some sleep. Keep it down and ignore your nightmares about whatever screwed up past you have!" Fizahn rolls back over on his bedroll and buries his head in his pillow. "Some of us actually have the brain capacity to understand a stealth mission," he mutters into his pillow.

Aveda
2007-10-22, 09:07 PM
Gala

Gala is awake instantly when Grynde starts screaming right next to her. Narrowing her eyes, she settles back down when she realizes there is no immediate danger. Why, Torm, why must I be stuck in the drama boat?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Matticus
2007-10-23, 02:55 AM
Grynde

He looks scornfully at Tryntha after her little display, contempt etched into his countenance, asides from the anger.
When the women of this group have stopped embarassing themselves, maybe Fizahn would like to tell me where the ring went.
Hands balled tightly into fists, he stares at the short and apparently tired gnome.
I wonder how much he values his head. Maybe he'd like his ugly mug more if I redecorated it with my foot...

(OOC: Ooh, theft.)

Erikkin
2007-10-23, 06:08 AM
Fizahn:

"Stick it Grynde. I'm still sleeping. Maybe when I wake up, we can discuss your inadequacies." Fizahn does, however, roll over to look at Grynde. He opens one eye slightly to make sure the deranged half-elf isn't about to stab him.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-23, 10:35 AM
Although your three boats are at least 10 yards apart at the moment, quietly streaming directly westward into darkness, they had been moored together during the night.

If indeed someone has stolen the ring from Grynde, almost anyone could be a suspect, though one would expect that someone would have seen or heard something in the night ...

OOC: PMs have been sent detailing what your character saw and/or heard last night ... If you didn't get a PM, then your character slept through the night without any interruptions.

Dr._Bob
2007-10-24, 09:10 PM
No one admits to hearing or seeing anything overnight.

Grynde grits his teeth as he looks at the rest of the party for help, but none seems to be forthcoming.

"First an assassin, then a murderer, and now a thief among us," Aeroz observes wryly from his position in the black warboat.

The boats continue to sail westward as a breakfast of biscuits and jerky is provided. You chew on the cold, but filling, foodstuffs as the sky lightens. The air is thick with hostility and resentment, mostly radiating from Grynde ...

blackfox
2007-10-25, 05:30 PM
Anika

Anika sighs. She is unsure as to who is the 'assassin' Aeroz is referring to--herself, or the mage Linda that had previously traveled with Aeroz. Linda had been possessed by Sethra and killed the group's cleric, Sedryn.

Anika keeps an eye on Grynde and keeps mostly quiet as the boats sail on towards Shaundalar.

(OOC: Augh! My grammar hurts! :smallyuk:)

Koji
2007-10-25, 07:08 PM
Khazrael

His sharp teeth help him make short work of the jerky, which he seems rather pleased with the taste of. He does his best to ignore Grynde, whose bad mood has been making him more impersonable than normal.

Naleh
2007-10-26, 12:22 AM
Retay

With nothing particularly interesting happening to him, Retay returns to hunching in the front of the red boat, glaring at the horizon. He accepts the food wordlessly, tearing into it in a very barbaric manner.

Occasionally, he can be heard whispering to himself.

"They... will... PAY..."

Darius
2007-10-26, 08:30 AM
Tanner Gondsman

With a heavy sigh, Tanner takes wing and flies over to the boat where Grynde is located. "What seems to be the problem here? The holy aura ring is missing? If I may say to whomever is hiding or may have picked up the ring, that ring is very valuable and may be the key to us succeeding the upcoming conflict. If you feel it is better served on someone else's hand, then so be it, but let us decide this as a group as we had done with our method of entry instead of taking matters into one's own hand."

Tanner looks at Grynde, "I am assuming you still want to wear the ring, correct?" (assuming an affirmative response...) "Is there anyone else that does not have a ring that would wish to wear the enameled ring? Before you wish to accept, I may need to remind you that the ring seems to harm those who it deems to not be of a similar moral compass."

Tanner will wait to see if anyone else wishes to wear it before he himself throws his 'hand' in the ring.

barawn
2007-10-26, 06:40 PM
Damian

Damian glances over to Tiriel and Elthan, in the same boat as him, and speaks in a quieter tone. Speaking to those in other boats requires a fair amount of effort, and the situation didn't seem worth it. "Normally I'd say that I hope this makes Grynde realize that doing things on impulse when you're in a group of individuals at least as talented - if not moreso - than you are is pointless, but Grynde hasn't exactly shown himself tremendously capable of 'learning'. Honestly, I've never met anyone more capable of rationalizing his own shortcomings as the fault of others than that half-elf."

He pulls out one of the daggers in his belt, lazily twirling it, while still keeping an eye on Grynde and Fizahn. "If he goes after Fizahn, though, I'll have to do something about that. Would he really be stupid enough to try to attack someone in a boat?"

A thought crosses his mind, and he glances over to Tiriel. "Hey, Tiriel - how exactly is it that you're able to - um - look normal? Are you restricted to just this normal form, or is it more like Anikawhateverherrealnameis? I just had a thought that we might be able to mask our numbers somehow."

Erikkin
2007-10-26, 08:17 PM
Fizahn:

Fizahn keeps a wary eye on Grynde as he goes about his business. Doesn't matter if I took the ring. He's going to jump me either way. He groans slightly as Tanner flies over to his boat. He doesn't pay much attention to the human, but does chime in at the end. "It doesn't really matter who wants it, does it? Grynde doesn't have it; therefore, he can not give it to anyone. Not that he would, without payment. Everyone knows the first rule of business: The best deal is to barter that which is not yours. You make a better profit that way... Or was the first rule of business: Don't trust filthy goblins? I can't remember."

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-26, 09:15 PM
Callos

It was with a groan that Callos saw Tanner winging it over to his boat, much like how he had seen Grynde glaring at Fizahn ever since the ring had been stolen away.With a groan, the necromancer pulled himself up to his feet and stretched languidly.

"Tanner, I want you to listen to me very carefully and know I'm not picking a fight or argument, right now at least, but you have to stop deciding that every problem needs to be resolved with by everyone. The last thing we should be encouraging is herd mentality and thats all your really doing. You don't agree obviously, thats your choice, but I assure you we can handle things just fine by ourselves over here. Despite what you have implied we are perfectly capable of thinking for ourselves without your help and we were just as capable of it before meeting you." Callos said with a small sigh. It would most likely pick another fight he truly had no interest in pursuing but it had to be said before his own irriatation forced him to do something drastic like slapping the man. It was always clerics...maybe thats why he had never taken up the cloth instead of the book. Had always made sense to him anyway.

"Now if you'll excuse me, if you could come with me Grynde." He said curtly, turning his back to the cleric and gesturing for the hateful warrior to follow after him. Perhaps no sleep would be had but he could get something done right...

Gonna drag Grynde back to the Private Conversation thread. :smallbiggrin: Let the theraputic healing begin!

Matticus
2007-10-27, 02:21 AM
Grynde

Although Tanner may be speaking tactically, his little tirade makes Grynde chuckle out loud, and the sadistic smile present when he spoke about his past to Callos returns to his features.
You're forgetting, holy dolt, that the moment I find out who took the ring I am going to craft them a new pair of ears, made entirely from their liver.
Turning to face the necromancer, he sneers and reverts to common.
Right, necromancer, sure, I'll talk to you.
At this point, he draws one of his shortswords, and will thereafter follow Callos to wherever he's intending to go. (Namely, the Private Conversations thread)

Dr._Bob
2007-10-27, 11:15 AM
The sky remains gray and overcast. The surface of the water is smooth and dark, like slate, broken only by the 'V's the witchboats leave behind. As far as the eye can see to the north and south are Rashemi boats heading westward. Your three boats appear to be hanging back toward the rear of the fleet.

While Grynde and Callos converse, the rest of you prepare yourselves for the battle ahead. With relatively little intelligence about the ruined city's defenses, you are mostly relying on Adalmar's adolescent recollections.

You have a variety of options, but will most likely need to choose your tactics once you have landed on the shores of Ashanath and can assess the situation.

It seems that no one is overly alarmed (or surprised) at the theft of the cloisonne ring. Many of you assume that Fizahn was responsible, though there are others among you who likely have the ability and/or motivation to filch the magic item.

The overnight shenanigans do nothing to alter the hathrans' already dim opinion of your characters. They remain silent as they guide your boats westward.

kuja.girl
2007-10-27, 12:39 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel had been watching the proceedings on the other boat carefully. Callos was playing at being calm and rational but, in her experience, that usually didn't last long. And Tanner's intervention was irritating. He was proving himself a nosy busybody if nothing else and he didn't seem to understand that his "help" wasn't always needed.

Tiriel tears her gaze from the other boat to answer Damian. "No it's nothing like either of those things. It's an enchantment and it only works to hide my wings, not much else.
"I don't know who took the ring but we'd better find out who has it before we get to shore. I didn't like Gynde having it but at least we knew where it was."

Remembering what Khaz had said about magical communication last night, Tiriel tries to signal him. If there was someway that to talk without everyone over hearing they might be able to get to figure out who had the ring...

barawn
2007-10-27, 12:58 PM
Damian

"Beh, well, there goes that idea. Well, Anika, Adalmar, and myself can always stay out of sight to at least reduce our numbers by three."

Damian nods at Tiriel's assessment of the missing ring. "Yeah, I agree. There might be the possibility that the ring up and relocated itself on its own, too. We've got a better idea as to what the rings do now, but something like that wouldn't surprise me. Might make sense for each of us to check over our own possessions and see if the ring just showed up."

He shifts his gaze over to Elthan, the grim look on his face fading. "Well, before nightfall and our resident drama queen interrupted us, to get back to us working together, I'm glad to hear you don't have a problem - it'd be best if I knew what spells you could cast and how often." He sighs slightly. "At least it would be good to show the hathran that some of us can work together and treat each other as equals."

Koji
2007-10-27, 04:11 PM
Khazrael

Seeing Tiriel's gesture, Khazrael puts a finger to his lips, mutters something, and points at her.

His whisper drifts lazily on the air toward her, inaudible to even those standing in its path.

"What's up?"

King_of_GRiffins
2007-10-27, 06:23 PM
Elthan

Elthan sighs as events finish playing out. It was hard enough sleeping without wondering if someone was going to kill him in his sleep (still a reasonable fear) and take away his wallet. He shakes his head at Grynde and replies to Damian. "He's going to be a nuisance our whole trip unless we put some effort in making him less annoying. Nobody would be quite surprised if he had let the ring drop into the lake while he slept. I would feel sorry for the way he acts if I didn't expect him to tell me to stuff it down my throat."

For now, he rids the thought of the half-elf from his mind to contemplate on what he knew. "Absolutely. Let's get down to buisness and see if we can't leave them some good impression. My former notes were lost, but I've rewritten most of them. All of the spells I know are listed in my notes, and are set into groups by tier. From each tier, I can cast five to seven times." While speaking, Elthan retrieves a thin, leather bound book form his pack and hands it over. The interior is filled halfway with minor observations, alchemical recipes, and the spell list in a small, sharp scrawl.

Check my sig for my character sheet and take a look at the spells if you'd like. Command Undead might be one Damian and Elthan should share.