PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Crafting and Special Materials

Kryx
2014-10-10, 12:47 PM
I cannot find the rules for crafting costs and special materials.

I currently use this rule:

Any mundane items crafted with special materials cost ½ the normal cost instead of ⅓.

I would like crafting to not reduce the cost of special materials because it has very silly applications (like Adamantine, Mithral, etc), but I know that will probably upset my player.

If anyone can provide any rules or their own experiences I'd appreciate it.

icefractal
2014-10-10, 01:23 PM
Why wouldn't it reduce them? It reduces magic items, and I think we can agree that a Mirror of Opposition is more powerful than an adamantine ... anything.

Re: 1/2 vs 1/3 - I think that does apply to certain types of things in Pathfinder. Firearms, I want to say? I'm not sure if special materials are one of those things.

aethel27
2014-10-10, 02:01 PM
1/2 the cost is magic item crafting
1/3 is for anything mudane so a adamantine dwarven long axe +1 costs= (50[base]+3000[adamantine]+2000[magic +1])5050 gld
now crafting it would be 3050/3++2000/2=1016 gp 66 sp 67 cp +1000 =2016.66667 gp

D20pfsrd with the rules on crafting here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/craft)

info on say adamantine and other special materials here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials)
these have the price of the RAW materials for crafting you then take 1/3 of that cost buying a already made item is full price.

Kryx
2014-10-10, 02:47 PM
You can reduce magical items because you have all the means to do so.

Rare special materials you may not have the access to the materials. For instance Adamantine may be rare. Angelskin would surely be rare. Bulette may be rare. Blood crystal may be rare. Dragonhide would surely be rare. etc, etc.

Allowing any crafter to essentially buy those rare things for 1/3 is pretty silly imo.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-10, 02:55 PM
You can reduce magical items because you have all the means to do so.

Rare special materials you may not have the access to the materials. For instance Adamantine may be rare. Angelskin would surely be rare. Bulette may be rare. Blood crystal may be rare. Dragonhide would surely be rare. etc, etc.

Allowing any crafter to essentially buy those rare things for 1/3 is pretty silly imo.

The price of the materials doesn't change. Most of the price you pay for an item is markup to cover creation costs and profit.

Kryx
2014-10-11, 05:45 AM
I guess I'm being a bit silly based on the feedback here. The rarity is already built into the cost of the special materials.

Thanks for the feedback!